Forum Settings
Forums

Author of One Piece Works From 5am Till 2am With No Day Off

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 30, 2012 12:19 AM
Aug 2011
LyingPrauses said:
5am to 2am?
So wait, he only gets... 3 hours of sleep at night, if he does sleep??

Man, I don't follow the manga or anime, but if someone doesn't sleep for 3 days straight, they tend to go kind of insane. So has anyone ever seen some OP work that seems.. kinda off? O.O

That's why I don't believe this shit.
No problems in art, its extremely fine in datail.
Characters are kept constant, no errors on their parts.
Plot is so specific, there hasn't been any holes or inconstancy complains that I've noted or seen in the forums (Not MAL)
Nov 30, 2012 12:20 AM

Oct 2011
Maybe the editors could tell me to take a least a week off in a year. Perhaps they already do, but the mangaka just wants to keep going to satisfy the fans.
I think readers will understand when he needs a break. He's been delivering work for so many years already.
Nov 30, 2012 12:37 AM

Nov 2009
Needs a hiatus...
Nov 30, 2012 1:11 AM

Jun 2012
3 Hours sleep!!
Solid effort, props to him for working as hard as he does.
Nov 30, 2012 1:15 AM

Nov 2011
Shouldn't he be super rich by now that he can hire dozens of assistants to help him?
The Art of Eight
Nov 30, 2012 1:18 AM

Apr 2009

I used to only sleep four hours per day for a few weeks. You are pretty tired, but it works out nontheless.
And such insane schedules are - sadly - normal for certain mangaka: Miura (the author of Berserk) is such a workaholic that he eventually disregarded his complete social life. I remember a notice in a magazine saying that he sold his cellphone because he hasn't gotten a single call in over two years...
You really have to love your job to pull through all this shit everyday for several years and only those with dedication can manage that: It's easier to understand people like Togashi, who actually want some free time and hobbies - although the hiatus is dissatisfying for a lot of fans, his health has priority.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Nov 30, 2012 1:36 AM

Sep 2012
Here I am, awake at 4am again, went to sleep at 11:30pm... This is usual for me. I am not a workaholic, I am an insomniac. Ever since I lived and worked in Japan and I was a workaholic with the rest of my office mates so I hardly sleep now. I never slept much, used to wake up at 5-6am but it seems I hardly sleep now, 4-5 hours is all that I get... So it is possible to live this way...
Nov 30, 2012 1:38 AM

Aug 2010
Hiramaru should learn from him XD
Nov 30, 2012 1:45 AM
Jan 2011
Oh dear he is working himself to death, I won't be surprise if he's gonna push some daises when he reached his mid-50's.
Nov 30, 2012 1:47 AM

Sep 2012
dankickyou said:
Shouldn't he be super rich by now that he can hire dozens of assistants to help him?

Some authors care about the homogeneity of their work, or maybe he is just stingy lol. Anyway, I'm not surprised, you can see the amount of work put behind his panels.
Nov 30, 2012 1:51 AM

Dec 2011
i admire his dedication!!
Nov 30, 2012 2:15 AM

Jan 2009
kimmy122122 said:
i admire his dedication!!

but his slowly killing himself though

thats a frigging workaholic
Nov 30, 2012 2:42 AM
Jun 2012
what a workaholic. he lives to work, he doesn't work to live.

i hope he takes good care of his health.
Nov 30, 2012 3:30 AM

Mar 2011
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
LyingPrauses said:
5am to 2am?
So wait, he only gets... 3 hours of sleep at night, if he does sleep??

Man, I don't follow the manga or anime, but if someone doesn't sleep for 3 days straight, they tend to go kind of insane. So has anyone ever seen some OP work that seems.. kinda off? O.O

That's why I don't believe this shit.
No problems in art, its extremely fine in datail.
Characters are kept constant, no errors on their parts.
Plot is so specific, there hasn't been any holes or inconstancy complains that I've noted or seen in the forums (Not MAL)

Man, you sound so butthurt. If the man can pull of that lifestyle while you can't, don't go around speaking badly of him. It only serves to make you sound like a loser looking for people to whine to. If he really values his work, he wouldn't need to look for attention by lying about things like that.
Nov 30, 2012 4:07 AM

Feb 2012
dankickyou said:

He has some assistants, but he still does the most stuff by himself(if the rumors are correct, everything that moves is made by him while his assistants do some of the backgrounds)
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Nov 30, 2012 4:16 AM

May 2010
He's damn amazing, can't deny it.
I still haven't read two first volumes of One Piece, even though I bought it, like, years ago. Time, give me time! :(
Nov 30, 2012 4:17 AM

Aug 2012
He must find his job fun in order to do it that much.. otherwise I don't know how that's even possible
Nov 30, 2012 4:17 AM

Oct 2011
I guess you learn something new everyday.....
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Nov 30, 2012 5:36 AM

Mar 2010
lol i sleep from 5 am till 2 am
Do pop-up headlights really endanger pedestrians that much?
Nov 30, 2012 5:55 AM

Mar 2010
that's kinda explain drop in quality storywise. he need more sleep
Do pop-up headlights really endanger pedestrians that much?
Nov 30, 2012 6:51 AM

Feb 2012
Man he needs to chill it down a little, and look at our good old Kentaro Miura, play Idolmaster all day everyday, and release 1 chapter every 5 months.
Nov 30, 2012 7:01 AM

Jul 2010
he should take a year long vacation, just get everything back together including keeping touch with friends/family if he hasn't and resting.
though at this point everyone is fricking terrified that something will happen to him so they don't wanna take any chances before he finishes up his Manga.

Nov 30, 2012 7:28 AM
May 2012
This is why Tite Kubo doesn't draw backgrounds.
And this is why kishimoto fucked up this war.
And this is why one piece keep selling more and more, because the storyline, the character, the background, the art and the intensity keep growing in this manga :)
Nov 30, 2012 7:33 AM

Oct 2009
Oda-sensei!! Respect!

Stay healthy man..he should take more rests, we can't have you getting sick :|
Nov 30, 2012 7:45 AM

May 2012
He shouldn't really have to work that much. I know that with being a mangaka you have to work very very hard but that's too much. Everyone deserves a break once in a while.

"If the king does not lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?" - Lelouch Vi Brittania
Nov 30, 2012 8:19 AM

May 2012
I can't trust this guy.
Nov 30, 2012 8:36 AM

Jun 2008
That's overdoing it, but putting that much effort into his work is in any way admireable.

darkmac said:
How does he work so much and still have such bad art?

After drawing or writing for a long time, my drawings/handwritings get worse, is it that uncommon for others? o.o

RyanSaotome said:
JavierR said:
IntroverTurtle said:
I would be so damn sad if he dies, and especially if he dies before finishing One Piece.

DO NOT SAY THAT. PLEASE. My life would be incomplete

>That feel when Luffy never reaches his goal

That would be a horrible lesson for teens reading Jump

I can see the suicide rate rising... OTL

QuiGonJon said:
How does his body even function?

Maybe he ate a devil fruit once... :O
Nov 30, 2012 11:30 AM

Mar 2011
@OP
Which pretty much verifies that he is going to die before he finishes it.
"But don't cry my friends, we are all the same.Every one of us is a human with "H" capital...
and now we are two and one of us has to be shit."
-Mr.Freeman
Nov 30, 2012 11:47 AM

Aug 2011
I went an entire semester averaging 3 hours of sleep back in high school (because of a pointless accounting class where you had to do everything by hand) and it was not fun. I felt like a zombie everyday. I don't even remember how I gathered enough willpower to get up in the morning. By the end of the semester I had really noticeable rings around my eyes.
Oda must be running on willpower alone, but for how long? I know he has his work cut out for him compared to other mangakas because he makes his panels so freaking small. If he wanted to, I'm sure he could make his 20 page chapters less dense. Hopefully when that time comes, he will loosen up.
"It departs in darkness, and in darkness its name is shrouded."
Nov 30, 2012 12:07 PM

Jul 2010
I remember talking with a guy who stay up all night till 8am morning then go to sleep till 11am and then go to university or something and then other activities. I was quite surprised on his 3 hours sleep every day but it was normal for him. Also i have a relative overseas who sleep 4 hours and then work. Some people have this kind of thing. My close school/college friend never wear any thing above her normal clothes in very cold weather when everyone try to cover every part of the body. She didn't feel cold, so it was normal for her.

So i think it's not problem for him to sleep 3 hours. If he was putting extra pressure on his body just because of work, obviously he would've gone down in a month or so.

Still it explains how much effort he put in his work, which you can see in all those details on every page.
Nov 30, 2012 12:35 PM

Dec 2011
Holy sh*t dude.. I respect him for taking his job so seriously, but he needs to take some days off too.
Nov 30, 2012 1:04 PM

May 2012
bizbiz said:
This is why Tite Kubo doesn't draw backgrounds.
And this is why kishimoto fucked up this war.
And this is why one piece keep selling more and more, because the storyline, the character, the background, the art and the intensity keep growing in this manga :)

This. Well, let not be that hard on the others, its simply beyond their talent, Oda is a Genius, and one that genuinely loves his manga.
Nov 30, 2012 1:08 PM

May 2012
Kanic said:
@OP
Which pretty much verifies that he is going to die before he finishes it.

Seeing how much you were complaining about bleach anime being cancelled, and your bad taste One Piece comment, I can only conclude you speak out of jealousy, this applies to anyone mentioning death here as well only to upset OP fans and scare them into thinking it can go unfinished.
9988Nov 30, 2012 1:13 PM
Nov 30, 2012 1:08 PM

Nov 2012
Damn Oda-sensei you should at least take a couple days off.
That said, if you die before you finish One Piece I'm going to kill you!!!
Nov 30, 2012 2:21 PM

May 2008
Oda deserves so much respect. I am glad that I began reading One Piece and I hope he doesn't burn himself out. Everyone in this thread complaining about ugly art or saying how he is going to die should just leave. What is the point of throwing around these mean comments?
Nov 30, 2012 3:52 PM
Jan 2010
^ It's not necessarily mean. Rather, we're just as concerned as you guys, but we're also considering that he might end up in the worst-case scenario. I remember a classmate of mine having malfunctioning senses the day she decided to sleep for two hours a day. (Fortunately, she never did that again.) Hoping for the best is good... let's just wish that Oda would actually do what we want for his well-being.

Seeing how much you were complaining about bleach anime being cancelled, and your bad taste One Piece comment, I can only conclude you speak out of jealousy, this applies to anyone mentioning death here as well only to upset OP fans and scare them into thinking it can go unfinished.

Come on, just because someone complains about Bleach ending doesn't render his opinions as worthless; same goes for anyone who tries to point out flaws in the argument by calling out that the person has read Naruto and Bleach. That's just a bad ad hominem and is narrow-minded of you guys.
Nov 30, 2012 10:01 PM

Aug 2011
Wow. I've always known it was tough being a mangaka but I never realized the extent of how physically degrading it can be to your body. No wonder so many mangaka have health problems. This dude deserves a break!
Nov 30, 2012 11:52 PM

Mar 2008
He really needs more sleep!
Nov 30, 2012 11:56 PM

Jul 2012
Oda is too awesome. His work with One Piece is really an epic adventure but... like others have said, it would be sad to have him pass away and not finish One Piece. 5am to 2am? Jesus christ, three hours of sleep a day for how long now? That's ridiculous; I don't even know how he can live as long as he has.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Dec 1, 2012 12:07 AM
Aug 2012
Yikes - 3 hours of sleep a night! Should take 1 day off a week, or at least sleep in 1 day a week. Hope he gets a nap somewhere during the day! And maybe a bit of time off in the day for some exercise (can't be good sitting down at a desk for so long).

I don't get a lot of sleep either but I can usually get in 5-6 hours (and that's a quite a bit more than 3 over 5 days), and weekends sleep in.

Came across the entry for Yoshifumi Kondou. Hate for Oda to end up the same. Kondou was one of the big name Ghibli animators/directed Whisper of the Heart and died suddenly of an aneurysm at 47, supposedly (according to MAL, and Wiki) due to overwork. And supposedly made Miyazaki re-evalute things like work schedule.
Dec 1, 2012 12:59 AM

Oct 2011
I vote that OP fans who cares (or if you just care enough) should make a petition for Oda to get a 1 month break every year to rest up & spend time with his family &/or review his plan for One Piece to see if he should make some changes.

Of course it would have to get about 1 million signatures for Shueshia to even look at it.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Dec 1, 2012 7:25 AM

Dec 2011
eventhough the art is masterpiece , He still need some rest too
Dec 1, 2012 8:18 AM

Jul 2010
Am I supposed to pity him? If he finds his work more important than his life then that's his own fault. This whole thing just disgusts me.
Dec 1, 2012 11:32 AM

Nov 2008
hang in there Oga
Dec 1, 2012 11:53 AM
May 2012
Japanese really amazing and foolish at the same time imo... this is why we have so many anime per year... they just wont stop working (even if its a limited animation its still lots of work)... i saw a video once about an anime studio where they showed some employers sleeping under the desk... anyway, 3 hours a night is horrible... if i sleep less than 7 hours ill be like a zombie all day long
Dec 1, 2012 12:47 PM

Jan 2008
Reinou said:
Am I supposed to pity him? If he finds his work more important than his life then that's his own fault. This whole thing just disgusts me.

I feel the same way. He chooses to work like this when he really has no reason at all to, one piece makes so much money he can hire more assistants, jump would probably be happy for him to have more assistants. But if he wants to live like this its his own choosing.
Dec 1, 2012 1:03 PM
Nov 2012
Almost sounds like he's got some kind of disorder that keeps him too hyperactive to sleep. That would explain SO much about One Piece.
Dec 1, 2012 1:20 PM

Jun 2012
Thats crazy, you wouldnt think it would take him that long to get out 17-20~ pages a week. but yeah maybe he should have more breaks xD maybe its temporary because hes got the manga and hes working on the film? or maybe im just totally underestimating the job :P
jimbob1141Dec 1, 2012 1:31 PM
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Dec 1, 2012 2:15 PM

Feb 2009
Amarrez said:
darkmac said:
How does he work so much and still have such bad art?

And there goes any hope of this thread being civil.

yup but still i love his art style ^_^'
I'am Thou And Thou Art I...And we're a HAPPY FAMILY!!!
Dec 1, 2012 2:29 PM

Feb 2008
That's the typical workaholic for you.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

25 by RobertBobert »»
44 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by Etherius_ZS »»
51 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

97 by Nanaca »»
6 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.