Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 13, 2008 12:52 AM

Jul 2008
So the other thread about whether you want to have a baby or not got me thinking about what age should you be/would you like to be in order to seriously think about having a kid. So I decided to get some other peoples input because it's so much more fun to hear a bunch of peoples views on an anime forum than to look up real data.

What is the minimum/maximum age do you think a person should be to have a kid?

What age do you want to be before you have a kid?

I'm asking these with the idea that financial situations aren't considered. Anyone, regardless of age, can have relatives or some other source to financially help raise a kid.

--------------

On the subject of how old a person should be before considering having a kid, I'd have to say as young as 16 is fine. This is based off of my views from Western culture. The age limit could probably even go lower in other cultures. I argue this young age because despite everyone saying a person isn't ready at such an age, I'd have to say if it's anyone's first child, then not a single person out there is really ready.

Personally, if I'm ever going to have a child, I want to have one within the next five years, contrary to what I said in the other baby thread. The way I see it, I hate the thought of having a kid when I'm near the age of 30 or even worse, older. I don't know why exactly, but I've always disliked the idea of being one of those "old" parents.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 13, 2008 12:53 AM

Sep 2008
The minimum age should be the age wich you can support a child...
Nov 13, 2008 12:57 AM

Jan 2008
yeah you should be able to support the child in every way. women can have children as young as 11 doesn't mean there cut out to be mothers though.
Nov 13, 2008 1:18 AM
Jun 2008
They need to be mature enough to handle raising a child, so i would say never below 25
Nov 13, 2008 1:24 AM

Sep 2008
DarkBusterCloud said:
They need to be mature enough to handle raising a child, so i would say never below 25

A lot of people are really mature so I thing 25 is a little high, as long as you can give your child everything they need and a good home and a caring family there should be no need to wait till 25. Allthough if you cant support the kid and kive it the attention it deserves then you arnt fit to have one.
Nov 13, 2008 1:25 AM
Jun 2008
Rpgwiz99 said:
DarkBusterCloud said:

A lot of people are really mature so I thing 25 is a little high, as long as you can give your child everything they need and a good home and a caring family there should be no need to wait till 25. Allthough if you cant support the kid and kive it the attention it deserves then you arnt fit to have one.
Good point, I'm mostly against teens having children though, because my cousin has 2 children and she's 19. Plus she's also living off of my family because my mom didn't want to just kick her out, and we don't even have that much money in the first place. ><
Nov 13, 2008 1:28 AM

Sep 2008
DarkBusterCloud said:
Rpgwiz99 said:
DarkBusterCloud said:

Good point, I'm mostly against teens having children though, because my cousin has 2 children and she's 19. Plus she's also living off of my family because my mom didn't want to just kick her out, and we don't even have that much money in the first place. ><

yea but as long as you can support your kids without any help then you should be fine.
Nov 13, 2008 1:29 AM
Jun 2008
Rpgwiz99 said:
DarkBusterCloud said:
Rpgwiz99 said:
DarkBusterCloud said:

yea but as long as you can support your kids without any help then you should be fine.
True but i think they should wait awhile until they get a good job that pays well enough for them to support themselves and their children
Nov 13, 2008 1:35 AM

Jul 2008
I think as long as the mother knows what she is getting into and has a stable financial situation to be able to handle a child then they should be fine. I am against teen mothers though as most of them can be irresposible (just making a generalisation here, no offense intended) and may sometimes have no support in what they're doing.

Personally I think I would like to have my first child in my late 20's. Like Vegabond said I'm not quite sure if I like the idea of being one of those old parents either. But whatever happens, happens.

Nov 13, 2008 1:58 AM

Jul 2007
*** Posts Deleted ***

Spamming and taking the thread off topic is not acceptable, and it's been getting pretty bad lately. The baby threads one of a few victims.

In relation to the thread, I think this sums it up for me:
Rpgwiz99 said:

Which works case by case.

Also, interesting fact, in most heavily modernized civilizations it has been found that the average age to have children is increasing, with a lot of people having children later on so that they can concentrate on their career in their youth. Particularly in Japan the birth rate is so low that the population is decreasing (I'm sure many people have heard of this). This may be a combination of the above factor and the Japanese culture about sex.
Nov 13, 2008 2:06 AM

Oct 2007
Since I became a father at a reasonably young age myself (at the age of 19, my son is 8 now) I speak out of experience that 19 is still to young. I don't regret becoming a young father and I admit it has a few advantages but personally I think between 25 and 29 is the best age to become a parent.

Kids can be quite demanding: mentally, psysically and financially. BUT you get so much love in return. It's quite rewarding. Still, I think 16 is much to young to be having kids. Even if your parents or family can support you, you must foremost think of all the trouble you're causing them, while most 25 years old (or older) are capable of supporting themselves.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Nov 13, 2008 2:17 AM

Oct 2007
Rpgwiz99 said:

Agree. And support is not just being able to support the child financially but also support her as a parent and I think that anyone under 25 is most definitely too young. Sure it works out some times but most of the time you would have been better to wait a bit longer.
Nov 13, 2008 2:50 AM

Dec 2007
As soon as you can support a child without depending on anybody else, either government or husband.

And as soon as a person feels mentally prepared to have a constant burden and motif of worry. Unless you can also support a maid.

If you can support a child when you're 14, go ahead.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 13, 2008 3:14 AM

Mar 2008
i think a good range is about 28-35yrs old. Cause i when i have kids i want to be late 30s, early 40s when he/she is a teenager so i can relate to him/her.
BUT i really think emotionally and financial situations should be a major factor when considering to have children
Nov 13, 2008 3:19 AM

Dec 2007
A kid needs a 'family' .. Doesn't matter what age they are... As long as theres a 'family' aspect in there life to support the kid.
Nov 13, 2008 3:35 AM
Jul 2008
I think having baby after 35 is very wrong, for a woman lots of thing can go wrong if that is the 1st pregnancy.
But also having them before the age of 25 is too soon.
Let's say you want a good job and a career, it takes you about to that time to finish university and find a good job.
Still I think that's the easy part. Finding someone to have children with is the hard one.
Nov 13, 2008 4:07 AM

Jun 2008
i think the best range is from 22-37
Nov 13, 2008 4:15 AM

Aug 2008
Miyako-chan said:
I think having baby after 35 is very wrong, for a woman lots of thing can go wrong if that is the 1st pregnancy.
Same here. I believe it's a terribly irresponsible act as a parent to greatly increase the risk of health problems or genetic disorders by having a baby after a certain age.
Nov 13, 2008 4:34 AM

Sep 2008
DaeScope said:
i think a good range is about 28-35yrs old. Cause i when i have kids i want to be late 30s, early 40s when he/she is a teenager so i can relate to him/her.
BUT i really think emotionally and financial situations should be a major factor when considering to have children

How could you relate to your kid at that age, everything you know will be old school compared to his/her life, and the way he/she grows up will probally be much differnt too.
Nov 13, 2008 5:51 AM

Oct 2008
I want to have a kid around 24-25ish. After all my college shit is done, and I've got an apartment of my own. =]
Nov 13, 2008 5:53 AM

Feb 2005
Rpgwiz99 said:

Indeed. After you've finished your education and have gotten a stable job would be the best time.
But having kids would also mean you'd have to give up any wild or lax lifestyle you might have had before, so mental maturity plays a big role as well.
Nov 13, 2008 6:53 AM

Dec 2007
Rpgwiz99 said:
DaeScope said:

How could you relate to your kid at that age, everything you know will be old school compared to his/her life, and the way he/she grows up will probally be much differnt too.

It's that old school that makes our species evolve, based on the past searching for the future. But whatever.

Children don't need their parents to be close enough in age to go out at night together and have the same friends. Also, any slightly intelligent person would keep learning, adding their "old school" knowledge to the new stuff their child will also learn.

Also, I think most people believe that young parents are more open and carefree than older parents... Which is not true as far as I have experienced. My parents were not exactly young adults when they had me and I had the most liberal, carefree and multi-experienced education I could ever imagine. I would not do the same to a child of mine. xD In the other hand, most of my friends who have kids are on their early-mid twenties and they are chicken parents.

The less life experience you have the greater becomes the fear of something unknown to happen to your child, I guess.
Nov 13, 2008 7:08 AM

Sep 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Rpgwiz99 said:
DaeScope said:

It's that old school that makes our species evolve, based on the past searching for the future. But whatever.

Children don't need their parents to be close enough in age to go out at night together and have the same friends. Also, any slightly intelligent person would keep learning, adding their "old school" knowledge to the new stuff their child will also learn.

Also, I think most people believe that young parents are more open and carefree than older parents... Which is not true as far as I have experienced. My parents were not exactly young adults when they had me and I had the most liberal, carefree and multi-experienced education I could ever imagine. I would not do the same to a child of mine. xD In the other hand, most of my friends who have kids are on their early-mid twenties and they are chicken parents.

The less life experience you have the greater becomes the fear of something unknown to happen to your child, I guess.

I wouldent disagree, I was just saying that older parents cant relate to their kids in the same ways, not that its a good or bad thing, just differnt.
Nov 13, 2008 9:24 AM

Oct 2007
I'm thinking that since I'm a guy, I'd like to have a kid maybe 25-30. Maybe females think differently. If you are responsible, things will work out.
Nov 13, 2008 9:31 AM

Oct 2008
But from biological point of view, the healthiest age for mother (and child) is around 18-22. 23-27 is still ok, but not as good as earlier.
Nov 13, 2008 10:52 AM

Apr 2008
i'll have a kid when im 35 or so. I must have money before i have kids.
Nov 13, 2008 11:32 AM

Oct 2008
It's the worst thing you could do, the chance that your kid will have Down's syndrome increase dramaticaly, especially if this will be first kid (it doesn't matter, if you will find 10 years younger wife).
Nov 13, 2008 11:34 AM

Apr 2008
Przemos19 said:
(it doesn't matter, if you will find 10 years younger wife).

which is exactly what i'm planning.
Nov 13, 2008 11:38 AM

Aug 2008
Przemos19 said:
It's the worst thing you could do, the chance that your kid will have Down's syndrome increase dramaticaly, especially if this will be first kid (it doesn't matter, if you will find 10 years younger wife).
Actually, the statistics aren't THAT considerable if the woman is in her twenties. http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/downsyndrome/l/bldownssyn.htm is a quick chart I found. Or there's a nice exponetial chart here http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000815/825.html

There's been some interesting research coming out about the risk of older fathers, but I believe that was centered around 40 and up.

Here's two quick links for the older father issue http://www.library.nhs.uk/geneticconditions/ViewResource.aspx?resID=94869 and http://health.dailynewscentral.com/content/view/0002286/49/ Googling will turn up more info.
shinkeikakuNov 13, 2008 12:08 PM
Nov 13, 2008 11:39 AM

Aug 2008
I am hoping I can find someone to pop me out at least 1 before I am 30
Nov 13, 2008 11:53 AM

Dec 2007
Amazing how humans lose their ability to put in the world viable offspring.
Nov 13, 2008 11:55 AM

Aug 2008
That's nature just saying "NO" lol :)
Nov 13, 2008 12:00 PM

Oct 2008
if you have a job and the mindset that will be able to raise and support a family, then go ahead have a baby anytime after 20-21.

teenage pregnancy on the other hand is just wrong. people's gotta think before they play with the pink.
Nov 13, 2008 12:03 PM

Oct 2007
Frito said:
People's gotta think before they play with the pink.

Amen to that, brotha'
Nov 13, 2008 12:46 PM

Oct 2008
When you can handle having a child, taking care and all that, I don't have a set minimum.

But I cannot stand when old people have children! I feel SO sorry for the children.
My mother's cousin had his fist child at the age of about 50, and his wife about 45 - they had their second child about two years ago T__T
I mean, many people think it's their grandparents!!! And think about it - they won't be around to see their grand children, and the two daughters will lose their parents quite early in life!

Yuck... I don't think people should be much more than 30 when they have their first child. My mum was 32 when she had me, and I was her fourth! (Potentially 6th or sort of only 5th because she had two acute abortions.)
行けー幼子兵器!あれは木端微塵に粉砕しろ!
Nov 13, 2008 2:01 PM

Nov 2008
Whenever the parents are mature enough to handle a child. There are people of 30 that never grow up, and people of 15 that are very mature. It all depends on how responsible the parents are.

But generally, I think parents below 18 are too young. A good age range would be 25-32 years old. If the woman's older than that, the risk of not having a healthy child would rise. And if younger? They may not be responsible enough, or not being able to support the child. Especially if they still go to school.

Also, being able to support a child financially and a stable environment would be things to consider as well.
Nov 13, 2008 2:30 PM

Oct 2008
Last time I was in Family Court as judge assistant, there was the case when barely 16 years old girl was pregnant (6th or even 7th month) and required judge's permision to get married with father of child. The reckless guy was almost 21, but had a job.
In my opinion, it was just wrong to be 21 and have sex with 15 ;] But he took responsibility and judge let them marry, there was no other option - life of this girl was already ruined.
In most such cases, after a year or two there is divorce.
Nov 13, 2008 3:29 PM

Jun 2007
I think somewhere in my late twenties/early thirties. That way, I have time to live my own life a little, then I'll also have plenty of time to see my family grow up.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Nov 13, 2008 5:36 PM

Jul 2008
Przemos19 said:
life of this girl was already ruined.

That is one thing I never really understood. Who is anyone to say that a persons life is ruined because of anything? I know girls who want absolutely nothing more than to be a mother and on the flip side there are those who want to wait until their late 30's. I personally think most of these high age restrictions on everything is bull. The age of consent for Michigan is 16 and I think that's about the perfect age.

A good financial situation is nothing more than that cherry on top of the whole situation. Money is not needed to be good, supportive parents.
Nov 13, 2008 6:30 PM

Jun 2007
Vagabond said:
Przemos19 said:

That is one thing I never really understood. Who is anyone to say that a persons life is ruined because of anything? I know girls who want absolutely nothing more than to be a mother and on the flip side there are those who want to wait until their late 30's. I personally think most of these high age restrictions on everything is bull. The age of consent for Michigan is 16 and I think that's about the perfect age.

A good financial situation is nothing more than that cherry on top of the whole situation. Money is not needed to be good, supportive parents.

In the UK, it is estimated that a child will cost you around £180,000 to raise from birth to the age of 21 (source). Don't get me wrong, having money is not the be all and end all of parenthood (I should know, I was raised by a working class family). But it sure helps.
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Nov 13, 2008 6:50 PM

Sep 2008
OranSolus said:
Vagabond said:
Przemos19 said:

In the UK, it is estimated that a child will cost you around £180,000 to raise from birth to the age of 21 (source). Don't get me wrong, having money is not the be all and end all of parenthood (I should know, I was raised by a working class family). But it sure helps.

yea, kids are expensive but most of my friends have kids and even though they stay broke the make their children top priority, they give their childern everything they need even if it means they cant get all they want.
Nov 13, 2008 9:09 PM
Jul 2008
I think mid 20s and early 30s is acceptable. My aunt is in her mid 40s and she just had a baby.
Nov 14, 2008 2:23 AM

Jan 2008
well, i think 20s-30s is a good age range to have a kid, you're still young, barring any odd happenings, you would live long enough to see your child become an adult and possibly have grandkids, 40 yr old women should be able to have children, but as women advance in age, the risk of a birth defect is higher, and i don't know if i'd want that kind of a risk

i would personally like to have kids in my late 20s
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.