Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 15, 2009 11:50 PM

Jul 2008
well at least casshern didn't destroy everything like he normally does
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Oct 8, 2010 9:29 AM

Dec 2008
Casshern doesn't have much luck with women now, does he?
Dec 11, 2010 9:29 PM

Jul 2010
I thought that she looked weird when she pretended to ring the bell, but when she said "I don't need the bell anymore, I can ring it within my heart" suddenly make me think this is a beautiful episode.
May 4, 2011 8:48 AM

Apr 2011
Does every new character in this series have to try and kill Casshern? I thought for sure she was dead after hitting not once but twice on the way down and THEN having the giant freaking bell fall right on her! But somehow she survived long enough for Casshern to save the day and roll it back off of her ... if he was gonna save her, he could've at least used his super speed and kept it from falling on her. Then I'd be a bit more inclined to believe she could survive.

For that matter, why didn't Casshern use his super strength to get the bell back on top of the tower, instead of just leaving it there to rust? Then people wouldn't look at her like she was batshit crazy when she started going "Ding Dong" :P

4/5 ... hope there's a bit more action next episode, and it gets less formulaic.
Jul 12, 2011 10:14 AM

May 2010
I really liked this episode, particularly the part where ringing the bell drove the poker-playing robots into a frenzy. Now that I think about it, it was a kind of predictable reaction, but it sure surprised me quite a bit and made me think. It really drives home the psychological effects of the ruin, sort of an extreme version of "misery loves company".

Also, this is the same as the other episodes, but I like how sparse this soundtrack is. It makes very good use of silence to create a ominous atmosphere IMO.
“Money can't buy dere”
Jun 11, 2012 2:58 PM

Apr 2012
I really like these slow and contemplative episodes. There isn't much going on but there is a ton of atmosphere and feeling. The dialogue between the characters is just a treat to hear.

There isn't really anything overly complex about this episode. It's message was that even in the ruin beauty could still exist as long as you don't give up. The poker playing robots had given up so when they heard the bell they were offended. They didn't want to move forward but keep playing their petty games because it's what they've grown accustomed and they'd forgotten all about beauty.

This episode also showed that the ruin corrupts even those with positive desires as Lizabell was killing robots to make the bell. She is a victim of the ruin just like everyone else in the series. She may not be rotting on the outside but she has certainly been twisted on the inside. Still she had a point with her world view. To really want to live in a world then you need to be able to see at least a little beauty in it even if it is filled with ugliness.

All these episodes aren't a part of the plot but they are helping to develop Casshern . And that's really the point of the show Casshern's development as a character. The overarching plot is interesting but kind of secondary to the episodic approach. As long as the episodes are this good then I love the way the series is being handled.
Jul 17, 2012 12:25 AM

Oct 2011
to me the ball sounded more like death 0-0 and ruin
May 16, 2013 11:23 PM
Aug 2011
I will have to say that this was a bit too bland for my liking and I am one who doesn't mind slower, episodic series.
Nov 27, 2013 7:39 AM

Apr 2009
Speak what you want about this episode, but I loved it. To me, this is a wonderful episode. It was very inspiring and full of messages. TEN OUTTA TEN.
Jan 15, 2014 11:25 PM

Nov 2013
Someone please tell me how the FUCK she managed to survive that fall

Jan 15, 2014 11:28 PM

Nov 2013
I kinda like it how the anime keeps showing us the ruined world. It fascinates me and gets me excited thinking where Casshern will go next.

Feb 21, 2014 10:09 AM

May 2012
Quite interesting episode I must say, kinda liked where they were going with this episode!
Feb 27, 2014 4:07 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Itoukaiji said:
I really like these slow and contemplative episodes. There isn't much going on but there is a ton of atmosphere and feeling. The dialogue between the characters is just a treat to hear.

There isn't really anything overly complex about this episode. It's message was that even in the ruin beauty could still exist as long as you don't give up. The poker playing robots had given up so when they heard the bell they were offended. They didn't want to move forward but keep playing their petty games because it's what they've grown accustomed and they'd forgotten all about beauty.

This episode also showed that the ruin corrupts even those with positive desires as Lizabell was killing robots to make the bell. She is a victim of the ruin just like everyone else in the series. She may not be rotting on the outside but she has certainly been twisted on the inside. Still she had a point with her world view. To really want to live in a world then you need to be able to see at least a little beauty in it even if it is filled with ugliness.

All these episodes aren't a part of the plot but they are helping to develop Casshern . And that's really the point of the show Casshern's development as a character. The overarching plot is interesting but kind of secondary to the episodic approach. As long as the episodes are this good then I love the way the series is being handled.

Spot on dear sir.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 26, 2014 12:30 AM

Nov 2011
Kimura said:
You're new here, so let me give you some advice: you're better off just skipping over any of angel999's posts in any anime episode discussion board.

Trust me, it's for your own good.

LOL

Ahhh that was nice. Really feels more like Kaiba now. That song with the harp is absolutely lovely. Though a few "ding-dong"s is enough.

Who was that girl? I first thought she was a human, but after seeing the ground get pressed down from the pressure of her jump, and her getting squashed by the bell, I just can't help but think she's of Casshern's kind.

Shit, CASSHERN Sins just gets more and more interesting. I FUCKING LOVE HOW THEIR DYSTOPIAN WORLD LOOKS LIKE. All these dark shades of brown and grey are very pleasing to the eyes.
Sep 19, 2015 9:32 AM

May 2009
Reading the TC really killed my feels mood regarding this episode.
Nov 8, 2015 10:01 AM

Jan 2010

What breathes life in this world? Is it the philosophers and scholars whom ponderings try to find meaning through reason? Is it the scientists and spiritualists that attempt to explain how things came to be? Or is it the age old tale of birth told in religious and anthropological books alike?

In the case of this episode, however, one manner was brought forth by an engineer. A person working with machinery - cold rusted steel - to create a bell to resound within the void. The thing missing in recent episodes was a sense of scale. I knew the world was huge, but the Casshern Sins hasn't had many opportunities to show that off. Here, it uses a bell tower straight out of some steampunk tale, while using a bell with its deep-seated history in public, historic, and religious contexts to fill the world with a presence that persists in trying to survive.

Or I dunno, it could have just been a bell that was rung and nothing more. I mean, the "ding dong" bit came off as extremely odd, and the actual ringing wasn't as profound as I hoped it would be. Casshern Sins continues to be attempting something smart and meaningful, but I'm not sure if any of it is working. It seems more like a tryhard attempt to be DEEP, or at least until something of greater value is given. However, I'm glad to see different scales, different stories, and different characters that are trying in their own ways to live. I'm also interested in how "life" can be defined by a withering rusted tower and a shoddy bell being rung by a desperate engineer. For a world full of remnant humans and robots, perhaps it's her line of work that's needed. That's what I got out of the episode at least.
Dec 11, 2015 3:52 PM

Jul 2015
Hey, am I the only one who thinks this was the best episode until now? First time we meet someone who's goal in life isn't suicide or killing, wich made Casshern's suicide attempt more touching than the previous ones. He doesn't want to let someone gets his revenge or save the world, he just wants to give hope to the people of the land, just like she gave him hope in a dying world.
The sound of the bell was beautiful. OFC it's not going to have the sound of a high-quality bell in Casshern's world. As he points out, it's not the sound that is important but the fact that she wants to see and share the beauty left in the world.
Another important thing to note is that she's not just a creepy weirdo at the end. She just doesn't need a bell anymore. Just like Shopita, she tried to mend Casshern's wounds and was healed in return.

^I don't think Casshern Sins tries to be particularly deep or anything. it's just a slow, contemplative show with a depressing atmosphere. It works a lot better than Texhnolyze for me. Same themes but the show doesn't pretend to be mature or deep, unlike texh wich turned out to be an edgy trainwreck.

And big plus, Lizabell is my favorite char at this point if we're talking design. The simple grey engineer outfit+grey hair worked extremely well with the tower and land surrounding it. Also, I see a lot of people are intrigued by her physical abilities. I don't think she's like Casshern, she's probably just a high tech robot like Lyuze or Sophita. The more "human" a robot looks in Casshern, the more powerful he is from what I've seen.

Basically, what Itoukaiji said :p

Oh, and also, haven't skipped a single OP yet. I just love it <3
DeathkoDec 11, 2015 4:07 PM
Jan 4, 2016 12:10 AM

Jan 2013
Another one episode character. Interesting.
Not the strongest episode though.
Apr 17, 2016 7:10 AM

Sep 2013
About the episode, I have to go with @Itoukaiji and @Clebardman . They really get what's up with this episode and why it is so beautiful.

On another note, really looking forward to more informations about Luna and the HUMANS. I want to see what happened to humans and robots and if there's anything about this related to Luna.
Jul 23, 2016 1:57 PM
Dec 2014
Raulzus said:
Someone please tell me how the FUCK she managed to survive that fall

She's a robot. I'm sure it works differently for them.

Spending the Last Days building a bell tower huh? Not my choice but I guess it beats playing Texas hold'em with a bunch of cheating mechs.
Jan 8, 2018 5:55 PM

Jun 2016
really makes u think..,..
i really hope that this was simply a bad episode and it isn't one of those series that start out great then crash
Jun 1, 2019 3:11 AM

Jul 2016
Boring episode, basically filler.
Apr 12, 2020 3:19 PM

Apr 2008
You guys be nice up there.

It was so funny that bots are playing cards.

Lizabel was kind of crazy and great at the same time. I wanted to think she was sincerely kind...maybe?
I thought she was gonna kill our boy with that grinder, maaaan!

Also, a part of me thought she kind of lost some screws at the end and I was a bit sad. Depressing I know. Got scared when she fell; broke her leg? I keep forgetting she's a bot.

I've been getting used to these sit down relaxing eps. Casshern seems lost and he always meet these characters with strong wills and sense of purpose. In this Ruined world, where you either fight death or just face the end while depressed, he knew how Lizabel who wants her work to effect others.

The voice of the bell.
May 5, 2020 12:23 PM

Feb 2020
The pacing was a bit weird this episode, it was pretty confusing, (for exemple, the lady wanted to melt Casshern because she needed metal for her bell and the scene after Casshen left, she actually built a bell) but honestly, I don't care. I loved it, it was so touching... The lady "ringing" her "bell" at the end might be one of those anime scenes that I'll remember for a long time. And seeing that she was ready to kill Casshern for her bell just showed how messed up she is in the head because of this devastated world but at the same time, she's not evil, it's so much more complicated than that.
All those characters are so complex and interesting, I love it.
But I feel like there was some symbolism being the robots hating the bell's sound because of it being "too loud" and even having their eyes broken by it, but I can't understand it... I'll have to rewatch that part.
FafetteMay 5, 2020 12:28 PM
Jan 2, 2021 8:57 AM

Sep 2017
I hope the remaining episodes don't be like this though.

Lady wants to ring a bell and tried to melt casshern for it.

Atleast this episode was kinda lighthearted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Jan 23, 2021 4:16 PM
Dec 2019
Ghemotoc said:
Hey, am I the only one who thinks this was the best episode until now? First time we meet someone who's goal in life isn't suicide or killing, wich made Casshern's suicide attempt more touching than the previous ones. He doesn't want to let someone gets his revenge or save the world, he just wants to give hope to the people of the land, just like she gave him hope in a dying world.
The sound of the bell was beautiful. OFC it's not going to have the sound of a high-quality bell in Casshern's world. As he points out, it's not the sound that is important but the fact that she wants to see and share the beauty left in the world.
Another important thing to note is that she's not just a creepy weirdo at the end. She just doesn't need a bell anymore. Just like Shopita, she tried to mend Casshern's wounds and was healed in return.

^I don't think Casshern Sins tries to be particularly deep or anything. it's just a slow, contemplative show with a depressing atmosphere. It works a lot better than Texhnolyze for me. Same themes but the show doesn't pretend to be mature or deep, unlike texh wich turned out to be an edgy trainwreck.

And big plus, Lizabell is my favorite char at this point if we're talking design. The simple grey engineer outfit+grey hair worked extremely well with the tower and land surrounding it. Also, I see a lot of people are intrigued by her physical abilities. I don't think she's like Casshern, she's probably just a high tech robot like Lyuze or Sophita. The more "human" a robot looks in Casshern, the more powerful he is from what I've seen.

Basically, what Itoukaiji said :p

Oh, and also, haven't skipped a single OP yet. I just love it <3

Absolutely. And this was the episode that made me decide that this is WAY better than Texhnolyze. Unlike Tex, this show actually has heart.

This is my take on the episode:

I'm not going to say anything is "deep" but I do think the episode is more than just about trying to bring beauty to the world. That was the starting thesis of the episode and that's what they built on, not the conclusion. The episode is inherently linked to the Kino's Journey short "The Tower". For those of you that haven't seen it, it's about people in a country pouring all their resources into building a tower as tall as possible for no apparent reason. The woman in this episode is the same; with nothing left, the only thing that keeps her going is building this tower that has no practical purpose whatsoever. On the one hand, she says she wants to show beauty to the world, but on the other hand it's simply something external for her to work on so that she doesn't go crazy. The act of ringing the bell, even if for a brief moment, combined with Casshern's reaction, allowed her to see that even if there was no beauty in the world, she could create beauty from within herself. There was no longer a need to work on something external as a point of beauty for she became the source of beauty. The process of creation, even if it didn't make a particularly beautiful sound, gave her hope.

It's fitting that she compares Casshern's fighting to dancing. Never mind that martial arts choreography is more akin to dance than to actual fighting, but it is possible to see and create beauty in anything that you do.

When talking about meaning of life and stuff like that, you can't do it with a purely rational approach, or else you end up with Texhnolyze. It has to be done poetically and artistically.
Jun 17, 2021 2:59 AM

May 2020
Man, Bell girl was a little too grabby with Casshern. Woman needs to learn how to respect personal space.
Apr 18, 2022 7:57 AM
Mar 2018
the show isn't trying to be deep or overly complex. it's more of a journey through casshern's struggle with accepting who he is, what he did, and the world around him.
Aug 24, 2022 10:45 PM
Jul 2022
very sad one. i like where this show is going though.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 20, 2008

92 by GabrielWhite »»
Feb 15, 10:33 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 22 Discussion

shoxk - Mar 8, 2009

36 by P_e_r_i »»
Dec 19, 2023 7:17 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 20 Discussion

dbaranyi - Feb 18, 2009

28 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 4, 2009

93 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 16, 2008

94 by FireRifle64 »»
Nov 24, 2023 9:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.