Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 20, 2012 5:37 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Well... Fuck...

WHICH MOTHER FUCKER DECIDED TO PUT THE AXE ON THIS GREAT MANGA?!

WHO?!

In case of people being spoiled from me raging...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2012 1:15 AM
Nov 2012
It's a shame it's so short

It's really good but it still feels like it's just beginning!
Nov 28, 2012 10:04 AM

Apr 2009
Is 16, 17 and 18 already out?

Every manga site I go to only has Ch. 15.
Dec 5, 2012 1:42 AM

Jun 2009
MagnumBookworm said:
Is 16, 17 and 18 already out?

Every manga site I go to only has Ch. 15.

I read chinese translation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2013 4:27 AM

Jan 2011
An open ending is bad. I was expecting the killer to be revealed and now I'm really disappointed.
Feb 12, 2013 5:30 AM
Dec 2012
It has really quite an amazing mystery setting, but I really don't think I'm nearly smart enough to figure out the the murderer, so please publish a one-shot or something to atleast verify the desires of the important factors.

Noergneav96Dec 10, 2016 1:02 PM
Feb 12, 2013 6:37 AM

Nov 2011
*MAXIMUM RAGE*
Feb 12, 2013 6:54 AM

Feb 2009
i hope the author releases a epilogue chapter that wraps everything up. it looks like it was setup to end the main story this way in order to give readers a chance to figure things out and then release an answer chapter but that may be wishful thinking on my part lol
Feb 12, 2013 7:27 AM

Jun 2012
WHYYYY....WHYYYY T_T
Feb 12, 2013 9:45 AM

Jun 2010
I would pretty much rage... if not for the fact that this FORCES us to think and solve the mystery. We can't just wait for the resolution, we need to make it ourselves...

Let's think about it.
A - We have one person whose words we know are absolutely true.
B - We have some unknown last requests that, all together, lead to Shizuka being sentenced (despite Hibiki's last request being pretty much invalid to grand).
C - We have X who was at the crime scene. Both Minamida and Asami (KillerGirl) have some information about them.
D - There is some information about Shizuka even Chief Shinigami can't be allowed to view. The fact there are orders preventing her from being let to do so, makes her think Shizuka won't find the culprit even using a last request.
E - We know Aidas' Father died before Hibiki. We don't know when exactly their Mother died, before or after.

A: Unfortunately, Saaya thorough this whole manga somehow managed to say nothing that would sound important - except for when she said she doesn't know about what happened at the crime scene.

B: The last requests that probably affected the situation are the wishes of:
a) Father
b) Mother
c) Aunt (Father's Sister)
d) Minamida Azuma (not "official", but his brother acts to fulfill his wish)

What do we know about those people?
a) Father. Tried to stop Shizuka from killing the culprit. Must be close to them. Also cared a whole lot about his sister.
b) Mother. Blind and pretty much crippled. Wanted to see Hibiki's face at least once.
c) Aunt. Died in the accident that blinded the Aidas' mother 15 years ago. We know the least about her.
d) Azuma. He's been on the verge of death for 10 years now. His brother tries to "achieve what he could not finish".

Some things are pretty obvious now.
For example, the reason Minamida wants Shizuka for himself is because he needs somebody smart TO FINISH THE MASTERPIECE CRIMINAL NOVEL AZUMA STARTED. We know Shizuka was writing a somehow similar book himself before the accident, he escaped death several times now and he displayed a lot of wit.
Another example - Aidas' Mother wished to see Hibiki's face. We may safely assume that was her last request too. What consequences would that have? Well, she'd have her eyesight restored after dying and she would SEE EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED, CULPRIT INCLUDED. Though I'm not sure if after dying she wouldn't be able to see anyway...

Let's continue with point C. The person on the crime scene, X. They took a photo of Shizuka holding the weapon with their cellphone - the photo later ended in Minamida's cell. It was either Minamida or somebody whom he knows. Asami the KillerGirl also has some information about him, apparently. Which is weird, considering all she could do was surf the Internet, since she was sick. Can we assume she stumbled upon the information about X on the web? Maybe on the Boy A fan-website?

D: Now that's interesting. Because of the shinigami rules, the Chief Shinigami can't browse information about Shizuka. And it makes her think he won't find the culprit even using a last request... Now why would that be? Did somebody's last request made it so literally nobody will learn something about Shizuka? Frankly I don't see another option right now. That would mean that "finding the culprit" would have to coincide with "disclosing the information about Shizuka" and so Shizuka's last request "finding the culprit" would clash with that other last request "never reveal the information" and would therefore be unable to be realized...?
Is that information the fact that Shizuka is actually a child of the Father's Sister (actually cousin)? Were they THAT close? If that was the case the "never reveal the information" request would have been the Aunt's (Father's Sister's).

E: The order of deaths. We know it was either Mother-Father-Hibiki or Father-Hibiki-Mother. If it's the second, then it was Father's last request that made Hibiki's last request possible (highest punishment) to grand despite the possibility of causing death. Was the request "protect the culprit"? Was it "do everything to grand Hibiki's request"? The second option fits the Mother better I think...

Lastly, there's a possibility the Aunt (Father's Sister) became a shinigami after dying and is currently one of the cast. But if that's the case... Well, it doesn't look like they forget their lives as humans when they become shinigami, so... Huh.

That sh*t is complicated.
Feb 12, 2013 3:07 PM

Jul 2009
What a terrible ending. My goodness. I was expecting something with actual closure, ya know?
Feb 12, 2013 3:40 PM

Apr 2009
This last chapter did decrease the rating by two points.
Seriously, what the hell?
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 12, 2013 5:32 PM

Apr 2009
"But this is my last request."

"So take these words, and let 'Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai wo' reach its epilogue."

Hmm, so the Shiroha and Kureha arc ended up being (almost) relevant. After all, Asami is important for the fact that she had information on who was the killer and she is now serving under Shiroha. It's impressive how quickly Shiroha was able to become an Oni from a rookie shinigami who started later than Hibiki did.

But that ending... oh my god. No closure. The ending is an open question. A problem solving question left for the readers using every single clue from the manga. Even so, I think the clues are insufficient to solve the mystery. This manga probably getting axed is the most likely reason for this botched ending.

I think it's possible that his father's last request was the one that led to part of his memory being erased. Since he told Shizuka to stop fighting whoever was the culprit, the culprit had to be someone who was known and important to the father. If Gou knew Shizuka would survive, he could have then made his wish so that Shizuka cannot take revenge on the culprit who he is unable to remember (so this important person will not die, and his son's hands won't be stained with the crime of murder). Tomoe's desire was to see Hibiki's face, so that was likely her last request. There's too little information about his aunt, so her last request is a total mystery and the wild card in the equation.

Shizuka cannot be the son of another woman, since he takes after Tomoe. Hibiki is the daughter of Gou since she takes after him. Assuming Hibiki was the child Tomoe was carrying in her during the accident, then she is fully their child.

Suffice to say, this incomplete ending means I am unable to give it the score I wanted to before...
Feb 12, 2013 6:10 PM

Jan 2012
Words can not explain what I am filling right now. I wanted some closure, and how are we supposed to find out who the culprit is with so little information? Only a very few will even be able to come up with a reasonable conclusion. Unfortunately I'm not one of them.
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Feb 12, 2013 7:29 PM
Dec 2008
I am almost certain it is either Hibiki or Shizuka that killed off everyone.

Either Shizuka killed everyone or Hibiki killed everyone with Shizuka trying to stop her. There is always the possibility that multiple people committed murder within that family, but that is just too complex if the mystery is truly solvable (so we stick with one person killed all). (Keep in mind that I am also assuming the author made a legitimate solvable ending and not just some random cliff hanger)

One of the parents' loved Shizuka enough to erase his memories (last request) so he wouldn't have to suffer as the lone survivor. We also know that Saaya cannot lie, however, this is where the situation gets weird.

After erasing the memory of Shizuka, she also erased her own memory which is why she knows nothing of the accident where she granted the last requests. As seen before, Saaya's naturally sides with humanity, but she also promised she would send herself to hell if she violated a shinagami rule. Thus the only way to fix the problem is to erase both her and Shizuka's memory.

The real question is why Saaya has to break rules to begin with. And that is simply due to the conflict of last requests. There was a request to protect Shizuka and then there was also a request to inflict maximum punishment. Therefore Saaya actually foresaw the future and realized that her decision of erasing her and Shizuka's memory would fulfill both requests.

In the end, Shizuka was protected and yet he received maximum punishment as he never actually found the truth about the culprit.

Of course, also at the end, Chief Ayame is prohibited to view the file on Shizuka. This is most likely because the file will prove that she granted the last request of either Shizuka/Hibiki after they murdered someone and that would turn their world into shambles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this last part is a stretch, but this is my best guess. One parent requested that his/her children are protected and the other requested that the murderer suffers. This leads me to believe that Hibiki is the killer.

Going with the assumption that Saaya was indeed able to foresee the future events, erasing memories of Shizuka and herself (and possibly Hibiki), NO ONE knows who the killer was. This would allow Shizuka and Hibiki to also get along very well after the first couple of chapters.

For the parent that requested suffering for the killer, well both kids suffered great deal here, however I think Hibiki suffers the most because she is the last one left, and still with no answer. Note Hibiki also had her legs cut off before she died, which is a form of suffering and not instant death.

Recall Asami from the first chapter. Apparently she had some insight that it was definitely not Shizuka. Then we also have the connection with the Minamida brothers. Much like Shizuka, the older Minamida brother was creating a story about death while also caring/protecting his younger sibling. Subsequently, the younger Minamida brother was the on that killed and if we apply the analogy to be the same, Hibiki is also the killer.
Feb 13, 2013 12:43 AM

May 2011
Damn. at least I know how I'll spend my weekend now. Rereading the whole manga and trying to solve this.

I have one idea though, it might be that minamida azuma has another request which he wanted to fulfill that the brother is doing. One that a shinigami can't fulfill. Probably the novel, or playing it out.

but i'm not really sure. just some wild guess.
Feb 13, 2013 4:20 AM
Feb 2013
okay, first time im interested for discussing this manga, i need your though all for this matter,and prove me wrong if i make some mistake

@krikara, you can get your wish fulfilled if you are the killer, which is impossible since both got wish granted

first hint, saaya
saaya can't lie, can't using her abilities except for granting request without personal opinion, (shinigami job) and claim she DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT INCIDENT. but in fact saaya EXIST when granting his sister request (highest punishment for shizuka).
she tell to satsuki, if the shizuka and hibiki know the truth he will erase it again.
only satsuki and saaya that can erase memory, but satsuki is prevented for accessing data because "shinigami obligation"
satsuki claim that even shizuka using his last request, at this rate he can't be granted

what does it mean?
his sister request are canceled, but nothing happened so that wish is not the cause for memory erase
saaya can't use her abilities, except for granting last request, saaya claim she does not know about the incident, but exist at scene and granting hibiki last request, and she can't lie.

here how i solve this contradiction.

saaya grant someone wish, that leading into her erasing her memories about incident so she does really tell the truth.

supporting argument: shinigami can handle 2 or more person at the same time, when tell shizuka that he will death but still granting asami request, maybe at the scene she handle 2 people last wish.

supporting scene: satsuki confrontation when asking that whether saaya really know something, and saaya tell her that if they find the truth she will erase it again and another scene that satsuki say "shizuka at this rate will not get his wish granted" at last chapter

another possible outcome:
satsuki may be at scene but get his memory erased

so whether mom or dad (which died at scene except hibiki) or the one who took the photo could be ask for memory erase for hibiki and shizuka, assuming this argument for is true, now lead into second hint and another storm coming :)

only shizuka survive:
shizuka survive when everyone else die except photographer, but he can't be the killer, but he hold the knife AND SMIRKING.
consider the time frame, hibiki got her feet cut, father told shizuka to stop (whatever he is doing), father got knock down, hibiki die and confirm that mother, father and herself die while shizuka holding knife and smirking.

shizuka could be: killer (contradictory), stopping his father from killing everyone (except himself), (possible), stopping the <unknown> for killing everyone but get stopped by his father (possible) at that scene and assuming his calculation

at last chapter shizuka tell that, "if he does not come back, i made some error somewhere":
including but not limited to (please tell me more):
his mother possible to be the killer (adding possibility up there)
his aunt still alive
saaya in fact does not erase his memories.

i can't solve it right now but i will move into next hint:

shinigami job:
only granted any request except the one that directly involve murdering or ressurection, also including sparing life,

so the fact that shizuka still alive is at culprit wishes and without shinigami jurisdiction. i will explain all the storm at last hint:

last request must really get into deal,

assuming only 5 people that exist at that scene and except hibiki and shizuka request: and assuming no other outsider i will make a certain scenario (remember sometime it is ridiculous) and remember, killer can't get his request done

- father is the killer and spare shizuka's life, got stopped by shizuka when try to commit suicide but still commit suicide:
this is possible and his mother seeing this asking to make him doesn't know the truth
- mother is the killer but get stopped by shizuka but shizuka get stopped by his father, this scenario divide into two part,
-- shizuka get her weapon, this is unlikely since shizuka can't commit murder
-- shizuka try to stop her mother, but when want to kill the mother, get stopped by his father and his father is get killed by the mother, his mother then commit suicide, i think it is one of the best scenario which i will explain it later
-photographer is the killer
this is unlikely since, he got great shot of photo and considering there is no way shizuka will act like that, (i think if his mind is intact, he must become so depressed or enrage and try to kill the photographer, not standing and posing while holding knife and say cheese which proofed when he try to kill asami but get stopped by hibiki :D) but nevertheless it is also one of best scenario

now i will explain the factor which made me think the second scenario:
his aunt can become the evil spirit

that single factor COULD explain why the mother suddenly blind, and proceed to kill the hibiki, when try to kill shizuka, when shizuka get upper hand, his father get in the way and get killed by his wife, broken, the aunt which possessing his mother, commit suicide and get his mother killed, with all the storm, shizuka who is holding the knife for self defense stay there alone.

another supporting argument: in last chapter asami get important information for this analysis when becoming shinigami after get out from hell, the person in hell are (correct me if i forgot someone), murderer, asami (murder),kuroha (lightest hell), so it could be mean the killer is dead right now. since they said at this rate maybe he got the wrong person,

OF COURSE even my best scenario is filled with so many hole that is not even funny:
- why his aunt become evil spirit
- why from all the time she choose the time where the mother (which in this scenario get possessed) wish to see hibiki, this does not make sense at all
- in this case, the only one who can wish is father, if father wish is make hibiki and shizuka forget this event, why shizuka smirking (at this case i consider smirking is light smile which a bit neutral please correct me if i wrong)
-why the trial for him is so fast despite he is underage

consider all problem up there, i will still consider the possibilities where photographer is the killer
let see, who could be the photographer:
shinigami: no way minamida get the photo from it
shizuka familiy, except aunt, there are in the photo duh
aunt, likely if he still alive (still consider she is not death)
twin sister: even they don't know about him
asami: no, since he just know shizuka face before meeting

kuroneko possible, but it is unlikely since he claim he never kill anyone,
politician, possible, he does not have alibi, he is minamida puppet, but unlikely since if you think too much it is ridiculous
minamida brother, unlikely but i will consider possibility, since he may wake up, but i don't see any meaning beside meeting saaya there. and since his wish are watch me until i die, she just watch him if he always in coma and must be in life support of course it is impossible, but if he is could be not on life support it is strong suggestion

from all the possibility i just make 1 suspect:
minamida: he had money (making trial is so fast for shizuka), he need shizuka for his wish since shizuka ALSO escaped death. he know shinigami, and last request without need to die soon, he got this photo and sent it to shizuka. he kidnap shizuka to fulfill his wish,
if minamida kidnap him, then shizuka claim, some or worse, all of his argument are invalid.

now i will mention the factor which may make this one is wrong suspect:
why he stimulating the police to execute him fast?
why he who got mass fortune, decided to be at scene (well it is not worth it if we are talking about some random person that does not got introduced yet)

TL DR: to complete this puzzle i need answer for this question:
what is the motif behind the taking photo that minamida get and sent it to shizuka?
why shizuka smirking?
why the police act so fast at that incident?
what is the wish for minamida brothers that can be fulfilled by kidnapping shizuka?
-of course he should not be foolish to ask last request of shizuka for minamida elder brother sake but i dunno
raja_jayuzFeb 13, 2013 5:22 AM
Feb 13, 2013 6:29 AM
Feb 2013
In the last chapter Shizuka believes the Boy A incident was caused by using a last request. Also Shizuka is always shown with a hatchet, which is of little use to stab someone.
In case Gou Aida was the killer it could be that his sisters last request somehow influenced him and made him blame his wife and hibiki for her death, they might have somehow caused the accident. He slices of Hibikis legs. Shizuka tries to stop him and takes the hatchet he holds in the picture away from him. His father prompts him to stop and manges to kill his wife with another weapon. Afterwards Shizuka either kills him in self-defense or he commits suicide.
For one of two reasons the mothers last request is that nobody knows what has happened. Either to protect Shizuka from knowing what his father did or her husbands words made her, as she iis blind, believe that Shizuka is the killer.
Her request makes Saya not only erase Shizukas and possibly Hibikis memory, but also her own and the photographers.
Hibikis last request ist maximum punishment for Shizuka, which is the reason for his death sentence. This is might be possible, because even Saaya doesn't know if he is guilty and the authorities might have given death sentence anyway. Another possibility is that he is a case of destiny death like azuma minamida and would have died anyway. Considering he got killed once he escaped this is quite possible.

Another possibility with Tomoe Aida as the culprit is that she was about to die and got her request granted while still alive. She wished to see Hibiki and might have realized that she is in fact not her daughter, but Gous Cousin.
Yes, it is a stretch. But if both women were pregnant during the accident and one mother and one child survived it could be possible.
Here she snapped and sliced of Hibikis legs. Shizuka tries to stop her and his father believes Shizuka is responsible and gets in the way. Tomoe then kills her husband. Afterwards she either kills herself or is killed by Shizuka in self-defense.
Shizukas father wishes for nobody to know the truth causing Saaya to erase everyones memories including her own.
The problem here is that Saaya doesn't make mistakes, which means she would never cause a murder by fullfilling someones last request. A different shinigami would have fullfilled the mothers wish.

In both the above theories it is unclear, if Shizuka killed the killer or the killer killed himself, as his parents motive would direct their hatred towards hibiki and the other parent not toward Shizuka. However as mentioned before a hatchet is basically useless for stabbing. And the unknown photographer is basically left out. He might just have rushed there because of the screams of the dying people and then photographed Shizuka. To cover the truth or ensure maximum punishment he was afterwards removed or he simply run off after taking the picture of the 'culprit'. Saaya in any case erased his memory causing him to forget the picture. He found it in his cell and Minamida got his hands on it over this other person.
The photographer could also be minamida or someone working for him, who wanted to get involved with Shizuka, because Minamida did get interested in him because of the novel Shizuka was writing(suggested before: minamida wants someone capable of completing his brothers novel in a satisfying way. He himself can't do it because it is supposed to be a book written for him), a fact he forgot because of Saaya.

On with the possible killers. Hibiki and Shizuka both had last requests and can therefore not be murderers with killing in self-defense maybe being an exception. This leaves the unknown photographer. I will ignore the infinite possibilities of who and why for the time being.

The photographer slices hibikis legs off with the hatchet. Shizuka takes the hatchet from him. His father believes him to be the killer and tries to stop him and is then killed by the photographer with a second weapon. The photographer afterwards kills Shizukas mother. Shizuka is to shocked to continue and is photographed by the killer, who leaves afterwards.
Shizukas mother believes her son to be the killer, because of what her husband yelled and wishes for nobody to know of the truth.
Shizukas father might have wished for Shizuka to survive, which is the reason why the killer did not kill him and Hibikis wish for maximum punishment was granted. Shizuka would have been saved before is execution in any case.
Feb 13, 2013 11:29 AM

Jun 2010
SUSPECTS:

People:

- Shizuka
<innocent - had his request granted>
- Hibiki
<innocent - same>
- Mother
<innocent - blind and crippled>
- Father
<innocent - if it was him, than Shizuka must have killed him in self-defense, but Shizuka had his request granted, so he's not a murderer>
- Asami KillerGirl
<she admits that before slaughtering the Boy A followers and Shizuka, she had never known how it feels to kill somebody. She also had her request granted>
- Kuroneko
<before the hunting game arc, he claimed to have never killed, but who knows. Seems unlikely though, seeing as he's already been dealt with (twice)>
- Minamida
<knows about or is the murderer>
- Shiroha & Kureha
<both extremely unlikely to have anything to do with the murder. Shiroha had her request granted too, so she's definitely out>
- Shiroha&Kureha's bastard father
<yes, he was Minamida's pawn, so Minamida having info on him would be probable, he might have known Aidas' father, but I don't see a motive and again, he was already dealt with>

Shinigami (involvement, not murdering):
- Satsuki
<seems supportive, but as an Oni she has a lot of influence, subordinates and let's not forget we don't know what her special ability is>
- Chief Ayame
<interested in Shizuka, but even she can't view information about him. Grey zone too>
- Saaya
<definitely involved, she erased memories of at least one person - that is Shizuka - but somehow claims to know nothing about the case. Erased her own memories?>
- Shiroha
<wasn't a Shinigami yet when it happened, out>
- Gou's Cousin Sister?
<now that's just a speculation, but she might have become a Shinigami, maybe even one of the ones we know already>

So wait, it's just Kuroneko/Minamida/PoliticianBastardFather/Outsider?
Feb 14, 2013 4:30 AM
Feb 2013
It seems we are not looking at something that is shown since the first image in the first chapter. The position of the died mother.

The mother, in all the flashbacks and images shown to us, is everytime IN FRONT of Shizuka. And there's nothing like a chair. That makes almost a fact that the mother was on her feets before being killed. So we can presume the blindness was out to. i wanna think that it's a fact too, to think the mother was the last to die.

She received the same kind of last request as the older Minamida? Who give that last request? It has relation with the shinigami chief's investigation?

Here enters the father's sibling. The author almost puke to us that there's something with the relation of the father and the sibling. The image of the flashback off the car accident is fishy too. If the author has given great care to the position of the family members, it has to be something with that too. The marks of tires in the concrete, the ausence of more cars, the situation seems to be a street of the city, the part of the truck who received the collision, the mother seemed to be in the rear of the car ... It gives the feeling that maybe the mother and the sibling where arguing in the car, the sibling turns to yell the mother and loses control of the car. That counts as killing or suicide?

My theory involves the evil spirit thing, some sick love for the sibling part, and something brewing with the years and done with some kind of help from Minamida.

Convincing? I can develope more from here. In short, the sibling posseses the mother (don't really know the moment, but i feel that the sibling has an important role in all this) when she receives the same kind of last request as older Minamida, letting her get out of the bedroom on her own feet and starts it all. Shizuka can sense that the person with the skin of his mother is not his mother, thus confronts her. I think that's why the father intends to make him stop.

The killer girl from the first chapters only let us know that Shizuka IS NOT the killer, she doesn't say in any moment that she knows the killer. BUT now she's been in the hell some time. Maybe she completed the puzzle in hell? Could she been talking with someone who knows something?
HelekarFeb 14, 2013 5:34 AM
Feb 14, 2013 4:42 AM

Jan 2010
Is that information the fact that Shizuka is actually a child of the Father's Sister (actually cousin)? Were they THAT close? If that was the case the "never reveal the information" request would have been the Aunt's (Father's Sister's).

Unlikely since they said Shizuka and his mother looked a lot alike.

It's impressive how quickly Shiroha was able to become an Oni from a rookie shinigami who started later than Hibiki did.
Saaya said the hardest part was finding suitable prisoners.

I am almost certain it is either Hibiki or Shizuka that killed off everyone.

Murders don't get their last requests fulfilled.
Feb 14, 2013 5:35 AM
Feb 2013
eworm said:

- Mother
<innocent - blind and crippled>

She could have been healed by a last request.
eworm said:

- Father
<innocent - if it was him, than Shizuka must have killed him in self-defense, but Shizuka had his request granted, so he's not a murderer>

We don't know if self-defense is considered murder by the shinigami/Could have killed himself after killing the others.
eworm said:

Shinigami (involvement, not murdering):
- Satsuki
<seems supportive, but as an Oni she has a lot of influence, subordinates and let's not forget we don't know what her special ability is>

We don't know if it is all she can do, but in the end of chapter 16 she says Saaya is the only shinigami capable of erasing memories aside from herself.
So Satsuki could have erased shizukas and/or Saayas abilities. Also she would probably be capable of secluding information from Chief Ayame.
Feb 14, 2013 6:44 PM
Feb 2013
eworm said:

Okay I subscribed to this idea (mostly because it's exacly as I thought). Here's some point of my own:
B - We have some unknown last requests that, all together, lead to Shizuka being sentenced (despite Hibiki's last request being pretty much invalid to grand).

For this part I think it's because Shizuka has a Destiny : Death, he's going to die anyway so Saaya isn't wrong even if she granted Hibiki's last request.

Lastly, there's a possibility the Aunt (Father's Sister) became a shinigami after dying and is currently one of the cast. But if that's the case... Well, it doesn't look like they forget their lives as humans when they become shinigami, so... Huh.

The aunt only knows Shizuka's face when he was little but doesn't know Hibiki's and neither do Hibiki and Shizuka know anything about the aunt.
If Aunt is Shinigami, could be:
- Saaya: holding onto a secret -> not likely, because she has been assigned to Hibiki, which would be relatives.
Possibly Ayame (chief) or Satsuki.

I was thinking the culprit is mother. Or something related to her. The reason for my idea:

Shizuka removed her from the suspect because she was blind and wasn't able to move.
But what if she can? What if she's the first one making the Last Request knowing she would die in a week? (in the dream she suddenly asked question about wish)
And that Last Request was: to be able to see and move

Or maybe, like you said, she really want to do something for her children so she wish that "grant Hibiki's wish by anychance" -> unlikely, I think the Shinigami has already been doing everything to grant people's wish, they would say something like that and ask for another.

-> What I want to say is that mother's alibi might have been removed (I have trouble with word, but I think you get my points)

My scenerio is that Mother figures out something when she was able to see and move. What I think is:
Hibiki actually died in the car accident but Mother doesn't know. Father's having affair with another woman, giving birth to the Hibiki now.
After having realized that, Mother became crazy and kill Dad, Hibiki then suicide, leaving only her beloved child Shizuka.
(think about this, I was wondering if Mother's Last Request was to see Hibiki's face, who actually died and become an evil spirit, who kill everyone out of anger)
-> it has no proof, i wasn't able to find their age to check if match with the year... so... screw it...

Oh and for the secret Saaya's holding, remember that she has read Azuma's novel (she was typing it for him). This might be related somehow, i'm guessing:
The novel is exactly the same as what happened. That's why Minamida wants Shizuka to gives him the final piece of the masterpiece.
Saaya somehow remembers about the novel, afraids that she would make mistake again and asks for memory erasure from Satsuki...

Somehow my scenerio is not connected at all...
narubeesFeb 14, 2013 6:51 PM
Feb 14, 2013 6:52 PM
Feb 2013
AARGH!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE THE CLIFFHANGER ENDING! Somebody PLEASE tell me there's gonna be another chapter out. I NEED TO KNOW WHO DID IT AND WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN TO SHIZUKA.
Feb 14, 2013 9:53 PM
Dec 2008
@raja

You have to read my whole post. You can't tell me im wrong after reading only the first line , when I spent some thousand words explaining it.
Feb 18, 2013 8:24 AM
Feb 2013
@narubees:
But if Satsuki erased Saayas memories for her, she must have an ulterior motive to keep that secret from Shizuka. And if that was the case the Saaya does not do mistakes/Saaya can't lie information would be worth nothing.
Feb 18, 2013 12:38 PM
Feb 2013
Hello all.

Like many of you here, I too am trying to fit all the pieces together.
After some thinking of my own and reading everyone’s post, I have few questions I hope everyone can help to answer.
=================
Saaya – Many of you say she erased her own memory, but if she did erase her own memory of that event then how can she say “When that time comes, it’s only a matter of erasing it again.” From the end of v2 c5 Shinigami Satsuki confronted Saaya as to what happen and even said

“Nah, you wouldn’t have been able to handle it either (if Saaya was in Chief Shinigami Ayame’s position of Shizuka’s word attacks), not while holding on to a secret. What happen 3 month ago” to which Saaya give”…..” no reply too. Satsuki even said “I know that you don’t make mistakes. There’s something you can’t say, right?”

Therefore I believe Saaya is telling the truth that she does not know anything as in who killed everyone. I say that because Saaya don’t make mistakes at her job at this point and she cannot lie. Also Saaya did not grant Hibiki a last request, Saaya grants Hibiki’s Requests After Death, which means Saaya may have showed up after the killings and granted the Requests After Death to Hibiki, Father/mother. Saaya does not know the event that night or who the killer was, because she showed up too late.
===============
Shinigami Shiroha and Asami. - “At any rate, we should get moving. If Asami-san’s information is true, then the answers shizuka-san’s arrived at might be the wrong one.” This would mean one or more of Shizuka’s four big hints could be wrong.
===============
Shizuka’s four big hints – It’ll be hard to examine each of his hints right now, since I have yet to complete my analyses. One part did jump out. Shizuka said “consider the order of deaths. How people died. Who didn’t die. The memory loss, and everything else.”

When he said “how people died” that really got my attention. Here is why.

Aida Hibiki – how the hell did she get her legs severed? Based on the picture we clearly see that below her knees it was blacked out. So at what position or event did it cause both her legs to be severed? Even if someone was in a wheelchair it would still be very difficult to sever not just one but both legs that are below the knees. Surely it is easier to stack at the mid-section of the body if Hibiki was attacked while she was standing and fell to the ground after she lost her legs. So is there a deeper meaning to why her feet were severed.

Aida Tomoe – stab wound though the neck. We know the last three month leading to the event of Boy A Tomoe is in a wheel chair. Therefore was she at a sitting position thus leads to a stab at the neck because the attacker’s arm is at a high elevation?

Aida Gou - stab wound though the chest. Shizuka did guess that perhaps he was fighting with the attacker and his father sitting at the ground, but that is Shizuka’s guess therefore what lead to Gou’s stab wound though the chest is unclear.

Untill we know how the attack happened, we won’t be able to be sure as to who made a request and why.

Let us build a time line first.
Time line 1 - Hibiki Lost consciousness
Time line 2 - Hibiki regain consciousness and hears “Stop if Shizuka”
Time line 3 - Hibiki sees her father falling down
Time line 4 - Hibiki sees shizuka holding a weapon
Time line 5 - Hibiki’s Feet are cut off
Time line 6 - Hibiki Lost consciousness
Time line 7 - Hibiki dies
Time line 8 - Saaya makes first appearance us the reader sees from Hibiki’s view. At this point Culprit X is no longer here and Shizuka’s memory was already erased.
Time line 9 - Hibiki’s ghost meets Saaya therefore did not see Saaya erase Shizuka’s memory

Could Hibiki be the first person that was attacked and passed out from the pain? Therefore she did not witness the killer if so Hibiki’s attack would be Time Line 0 that starts the Boy A event.
When did the mother die? If Gou was able to scream does it mean the mother already died before Time line 1 event?
===============
Gou’s Cousin – From the comic we see Tomoe is not in the back seat but the front passenger seat, because you do see the armrest that separates the two seats and right in front of the arm rest you’ll see the gear stick. Keep in mind in Japan the driver’s seat is on the right, that’s why Tomoe is sitting on the left.

Also could Gou’s cousin made a request for Tomoe or the baby to be safe? Could Gou’s cousin made a request that set everything into motion?

Could Gou's cousin be a Shinigami? anything is possible at this point. Is it just me or Shinigami Saaya's younger body at c17 does bear resemblance to Hibiki? If they look alike is Gou's cousin Saaya?
=============
Hopefully with a little brainstorming we'll get to solve this case.
Can't wait for everyone's feedback.

I would say sorry for the long post; however I did leave a lot more out and given the story this really isn’t that much.
Culprit-XFeb 18, 2013 12:51 PM
Feb 20, 2013 9:56 PM
Feb 2013
Okay, so, after re-reading a bit, I have narrowed it down to four people. The parents, the unknown cousin, and Minamida. I honestly doubt the mother would have done it, since she had been blind since the accident that killed the cousin. However, since Shizuka mentioned someone's last request being an important part of the final solution, she could have used that, and that would be why Shizuka escaped, since she cared for him a lot. Of course, in saying this, I am also really doubting it because the request of a mother who never saw her child's face would be, of course, to see her face, so the mother can be almost completely ruled out. She might have known the person who did commit the murder though.
If the father was trying to stop Shizuka from killing whoever it was, I doubt the father could have had anything to do with the murder, other than knowing the person. Although, the fact that Hibiki heard him after she had her legs cut off must mean that he was still alive at the time. He could have even been standing and thinking Shizuka was coming after him while Shizuka had only been trying to protect him from the assailant behind him. Then, the father wouldn't really have been involved either. He might have absolutely nothing to do with it because maybe he never even saw who did it and Shizuka only picked up the bloody hatchet AFTER the assailant had left. Don't know why he would have though...
Minamida, from what I recall, was trying to find someone to finish his brother's story. However, since he was no even dying in the 'end' of the manga, he would have nothing to do with last requests... unless Shizuka had meant Azuma's last request, which would have directly involved Saya and the way she can't lie.
Then there's the cousin who nobody knows about and there is not really enough information to start a theory on that...
This is just something I feel the need to point out (especially if there are any Durarara!! fans reading this comment), but doesn't Minamida look like Izaya Orihara? Especially when he's kidnapping Shizuka, I mean.
Feb 20, 2013 11:18 PM
Feb 2013
Annoying as heck. My starting point is Saaya. If we believe that Saaya cannot lie and is telling the truth about not knowing about the incident then A) she erased her own memory or B) she arrived on the scene after the incident.

Saaya arriving after the killing spree is a clusterfck because it opens up a huge can of worms. If she didn't erase her own memory and arrived after then
1) The killer left Shizuka alive before any last request.
2) Shizuka was still idling at the scene when Saaya arrived.
3) Mother-Father-Hibiki could have died in any order since Hibiki's recollection is unclear and fulfulling last requests isn't by order of death.

We can get around those issues though. If we go with this then my theory is that the mastermind is Minamida.
1) Minamida read "F" and researched about Shizuka.
2) Minamida found a Person X and masterminds a plan to carry out "F" and frame Shizuka.
4) Person X kills Hibiki and the mother. When the father shouts "Stop it, Shizuka" he actually wanted Shizuka to run away.
5) Person X knocks out Shizuka and runs away.
6) Saaya arrives and grants a wish that Shizuka not be scarred by the incident and erases his memory (dad if person x is an acquaintance, mom otherwise)
7) She also grants a wish that Shizuka will be protected (dad if his shout to shizuka meant run, mom otherwise)
8) She finally grants Hibiki's wish of "maximum punishment" which she knows will result in the speeding up of his trial but ultimately he won't die.
9) Asami figures out the Minamida connection after learning the story of Minamida's brother and Saaya plus they both were at the hospital a lot so she might have ran into him.

As far a motive we already know that Minamida is a sick bastard from the incident with Shiroha's father and mother and the recent one with Kureha and then that bald guy. Initially killing Shizuka's family and framing him was just for fun but then he discovered that he could use Shizuka to finish his brother's novel.

On the other hand, if Saaya erased her memory then the most common theory is the mother.
1) Mother is getting sicker.
2) Mother is granted a pre-death last request of a healthy body.
3) Mother goes off her rocker and chops off Hibiki's legs, kills the father in the struggle and then offs herself with a neck wound. She leaves Shizuka alive.
4) Saaya arrives and grants the father's wish first which is that no-one knows anything so she erases Shizuka and her own memory of the killing but not the wish.
5) Saaya then proceeds to grant Hibiki's wish of maximum punishment.

Problems with this theory
1) This theory only holds water if everyone is wrong about Saaya not making mistakes or somehow Saaya knew that Hibiki's wish would not result in Shizuka's death.
2) Why did the mother go off? If it was just because of Hibiki appearance then it's very thin ice.

Solutions to the problem.
1) Saaya made a tiny mistake, but still a mistake.
2) The mother has always been unstable but the family refused to see it. Survivor's guilt, jealousy, whatever. Asami and Minamida being at the hospital a lot may have ran into her and deduced her insanity.
3) The photo Minamida sent was a crime scene photo.

The Minamida answer seems too easy but I prefer it over the mother. The only random element of the Minamida theory is if Person X was known or not. If Person X had a relation to the cousin then it ties everything together neatly.

Appendix - couple of things I assume as fact from reading
1) When they say that murderers do not get a last request that also included killing in self-defense
2) The mother and father are described as dying of stab wounds. The weapon they keep showing Shizuka with looks like a cleaver but I'm going to assume that it's capable of stabbing.
Feb 21, 2013 6:16 AM
Feb 2013
The more I think about it the more I sadly think it is the mother.

1) Mother gets pre-death last request to see Hibiki.
2) Mother mistakes Hibiki for the aunt because Hibiki takes after her dad's side and chops off her legs, blaming the aunt for the suffering of the past 10 years.
3) Father comes in and gets killed in the struggle.
4) Father yelling at Shizuka to "stop" was to prevent him coming into the room to see what happened.
5) Mother offs herself. (Shizuka may or may not have tried to stop her).
6) Shizuka stands there with the murder weapon in shock (may or may not comtemplating suicide).
7) Saaya arrives and assumes Shizuka is the killer. Saaya cannot grant the mother's request because she already had one.
8) Saaya grants the father's request, that no one know about the actuals of the incident, wiping Shizuka's memory of the incident.
9) Saaya grants Hibiki's request, only speeding up what she assumed was a the inevitable trial and conviction.
This conclusion actually fills in a lot of the plot holes.
1) The mother's last request is relevant to the dream flashback.
2) The photo must be a crime scene photo. Heck, it could even be Saaya that submitted it as evidence as part of the "maximum punishment" request.
3) I leaning towards the idea that the father was warning Shizuka away since he died right after he yelled, but it's also possible that there was some struggle happening with Shizuka and the mother.
4) The father died of a stab wound to his chest, the mother of one to her neck. Suicide seems more likely for the mother then the father.
The mistakes that Shizuka made.
1) Assuming his mother couldn't do it. Asami and Minamida were both sickly. Both understood from the Asami incident that the mother was still a huge suspect.
2) Assuming Saaya can't make mistakes. Though you can argue that it was a result of the situation and not her mistake.
Saaya.
1) When Shizuka and Hibiki said they would figure out what happened she didn't care since she knew she had already erased Shizuka's memory and either erased Hibiki's or Hibiki never knew anything.
2) After Shizuka proved himself innocent she realized she really didn't know anything and truthfully said so. The part she couldn't talk about was the father's with that nobody know.
3) Following the father's wish is also the reason she said she would keep erasing Shizuka's memory now that she realizes how smart he is. The father's wish is also the reason for all the secrecy around headquarters and also as a protection from Shizuka finding out and kiling himself, a big shinigami rule.
4) In this case Saaya may or may not have wiped her own memory, it doesn't matter. She could have wiped a part of it.
Alternate Saaya
1) Instead of Saaya making a mistake, she could be lying. If it's to fulfill a request I can see Saaya lying. Even more important, if lying is necessary to uphold the higher Shinigami law of doing nothing leading to death or resurrection.
2) If we assume that Saaya can lie then the father's wish was just to protect Shizuka. Saaya erased Shizuka's memory to keep him from killing himself. She lies about not knowing anything for the same reason. The last request of the father may also act as a buffer allowing Saaya to grant Hibiki's wish. However, for this to be true then Saaya has to be super smart and know that ultimately Shizuka will not be sentenced to death.
Feb 22, 2013 7:17 PM
Feb 2013
videriant You made some great points.

For some reasons I feel the mother isn't the killer.

Also, the picture Minamida sent should not be a crimes scene photo, due to the fact that Shizuka is in the picture. Police won't ask a suspect on scene to re-inact the crime so it could be photographed.

There has to be a 5th person there at night, but was that person the killer im not too sure. Since both Asami and Minamida can track down this 5th person from the internet.

I'll try to post my theory over the weekend.
Feb 24, 2013 10:08 AM

Mar 2009
well great people nice theory here and there spent 1 hour reading all of them. I will not add oil in that flame I'm just here to be enlighten but still I'll toss a bit

- the 5th person in that house is unknown but it cannot be a new character it is already a character in use if that is what the author's interpreting

- Azuma is still alive then his "Last Request" is still on progress so Saaya probably still watching him

- Saaya can't lie.. I copied every lines she has said but that doesn't means that she will tell everything

- The book or Novel that Azuma was writing was not complete and keep me wondering what was the contents or if there is a significant clues from it

- Asami has information but we don't know what it is so we can only guess

- Gou's cousin that died 15yrs ago the MC talk about her at the last chapter so the only thing I could think that who is the shinigami in-charge of her.

Well that's some points I'm still at lost at, but really we can think of as many answer their are, even if we got the answers right.. in the end their just still guesses and speculation we won't know if it's the truth until we hear the Author's final say.

we or me is really wishing for a special ending chapter
Feb 25, 2013 4:38 PM
Feb 2013
Hate to say it, but its not looking good for the mother, she does seem like the killer
Mar 2, 2013 8:22 AM

Mar 2009
Culprit-X said:
Hate to say it, but its not looking good for the mother, she does seem like the killer

Culprit-X your theory is somewhat close to what I'm making right now, so I would like to cooperate with your theory. Right now I'm currently re-reading the manga for the 4th time and formulating my own theory, but what intrigue me the most is that you said:

Saaya is maybe Gou's (Father of Shizuka & Hibiki) Cousin who died 15yrs ago in a car accident. Then became a Full fledge shinigami 5yrs later and took the 1st case of Azuma "Destiny:death"

Saaya secret is very alluring but I don't want to focus much on her yet. About the mother being the Culprit is unlikely but still plausible.. I still have doubts about the Father, I will look into it and reply later about it.

As of now my I'm thinking that the 5th person at that house is "Ichirou Houjou" (Shiroha and Kureha's father) as of why? my 1st solid clue is Ichirou Houjou is one of Minamida Favored Chess Piece A.K.A. Black Pawn; 2nd his been under Minamida's hand for over 13yrs or more.

That's it for now, I'll construct my Theory and Create a Timeline of events then look for any loop holes and by then get a possible Answer
Mar 18, 2013 7:46 AM

Dec 2007
I haven't been active on this site in a long time (I don't even update my lists anymore), but I can't stay quiet on this one. At first I admit I was in the camp of "what the heck" and wanted to blame the mangaka for laziness or the publisher for axing the title, but now I find I want to read the entire thing again just to try to figure it out for myself. I rarely ever have that strong a re-read interest in a title, so I guess I must still be pleased with it.

With that, I'll share my thoughts. Mind you I am assuming that the Aida family's murderer is somebody actually in the cast, and not a new character we haven't been introduced to (further I assume it is somebody mentioned on that last page in the final chapter, or else the mangaka really is playing a dirty trick on us). I'm also assuming something extremely radical hasn't happened, such as Azuma waking up from his coma long enough to do the deed and then falling back into it again, or some weird timewarp involving Gou's cousin (assuming she isn't one of the shinigami currently in the cast). Both of those situations would be unpredictable from the facts presented and if they were the answer, THEN I would cry foul.

---------------------------------------------------------

Top down and left to right from the flowchart presented on the last page:

Satsuki: Has no concievable reason to murder anybody in the Aida family, plus she was a shinigami at the time and I doubt she could have gotten away with it unnoticed.

Luca, Yoshino, and Ume: No connection to the Aida family. Plus they're all Shinigami.

Masamune and Sasuke: Possible because they are supposedly criminals whose deeds warranted Hell and thus might have had the motive of home invasion, but they've been working for Satsuki for...how long? I need to re-read. If they did it they would have had to have done it while they were still alive, and I doubt they were at the time it happened. Plus, who would protect them? Maybe Satsuki if she thought she had something to lose, but she would have had to go as far as to steal or trick a last request out of somebody. But then, she would have had to order the killing in the first place...I can't see any viable reason for that with the facts as they are.

Saaya: She was in charge of the cleanup and says she doesn't know anything. We are assuming she cannot lie, but then, she wasn't directly asked if she did it, only whether or not she "knew something". She could be bending her personal rules. Still, this doesn't seem likely. What motive would she have? Plus, she was also a shinigami at the time and she follows the rules to the letter. Killing people would definately be counter to those rules.

Minamida: I agree with previous comments that he may want Shizuka to finish his brother's novel, but that doesn't account for murdering the Aida family. But, notice how his hairstyle/height/build is basically the same as Shizuka's? Are we SURE it's Shizuka in that photo? We only see the person from the back...

Minamida Azuma: Has been in a coma for the past ten years and has no connection to the Aida family.

Chief Ayame: Unless I missed something in the story, she is such a minor character with no real connection to anybody, I can't see where she would have had the motive.

Aida Shizuka: Why are we assuming he didn't do it? As far as I recall that bit of information was handed to us without a whole lot to back it. He doesn't remember doing it, but we have reason to believe Saaya altered his memories, which could have changed his entire personality. I don't want to believe it was Shizuka because that puts us back at the beginning of the story, and there is still the assumption that Gou tried to stop Shizuka from killing the "real" killer, but again...that's conjecture. I can't entirely discount Shizuka with the facts available, plus it's very possible somebody might have used a last request to cover for him. Possibly even more than one.

Shiroha: Has no connection to the Aida family.

Hibiki: Was one of the victims of the murder.

Gou: As Hibiki.

Tomoe: As Hibiki. I've heard theories that suggest she did it and I guess that's possible, but unless somebody killed her after she murdered Gou and Hibiki, she would have had to kill herself...a stab wound though her own neck seems an odd way to go about it. Not impossible, though. Otherwise she's just another victim. Plus she must have had some crafty skills to have pulled it off in her physical condition. It's a maybe, but I won't discount it because the comments in previous posts are pretty well thought out, and do account for her condition at the time.

Kureha: Has no connection to the Aida family.

Asami: Became obsessed with the killing...to me that suggests the killing would have had to already occurred for her to become obsessed with it. Then again, she may be obsessed with it because she did it, framed Shizuka, and felt haughty about her accomplishment. I'd need to read back and see how long she had that disturbing murderous streak in her personality. Can't entirely discount her because she's capable of performing murder randomly and for no purpose apart from personal enjoyment, so the question of motive isn't as strict with her. But, why anybody else in the cast would try to protect her, I can't say.

Gou's cousin: Died 15 years before the accident. She could have incited a jealousy killing by either Gou or Tomoe, but that seems far fetched. Naturally she's a little too deceased to have done it herself. Even if she had been alive, I'd be a bit put off if she was the killer, because we were only introduced to her at the very end of the story and thus could not have even guessed at an answer throughout most of it. This is supposed to be an entertaining story afterall, not a real murder mystery, so reader entertainment has to be taken into account. But then...why even mention this character near the end of the story at all? Perhaps there's more to it, and there is the theory that she is one of the current shinigami, which would open up a whole new can of worms...

---------------------------------------------------------

So for me, the only potential suspects I come up with are Shizuka, Minamida, Tomoe and maybe Asami. Everybody else was either already dead, unconscious at the time, a victim of the murder in question, had no motive and no connection to the victims, or a shinigami allegedly bound by rules restricting them to only reaping souls, not freeing new ones. Rules are made to be broken, of course. Plus, we don't know if Saaya used her powers on anybody else (that bit is an annoying little variable that could produce any number of excuses for the actions of the cast members).

I guess I'll have to re-read. I've been reading this manga since October of 2010 so I admit I don't remember all of the finer details simply due to the huge passage of time between chapters, so my logic is probably faulty somewhere. I welcome discusson :)
GaidaiMar 18, 2013 7:57 AM
Mar 21, 2013 11:43 AM
Feb 2013
After Asami stabbed Aida Shizuka's back Asami thanked Hibiki for her wish of killing 7 people. so not likely she killed the Aika family, also the fact killers don't get a last wish.

I do agree with you on the fact that it has to be done by someone we have seen, because we must accept the fact that the mangaka have giving us all the clues needed to solve it ourselves.
May 14, 2013 9:44 PM
Jul 2011
I don't know if anyone is still thinking about this... But I would like to point out one thing (I'll be back once I re-read it). BOTH Aida Tomoe (boy A's mother) and Kureha's mother (wife of Ichirou Houjou) were involved 15 years before the boy A incident in a car accident... Coincidence? I think not...
cyvroMay 14, 2013 9:49 PM
Jul 20, 2013 1:17 PM
Feb 2013
Ichirou houjous wife died 13 years ago, but it would have been quite interesting as Minamida would have then likely have had an hand in the death of the cousin and crippeling tomoe.
Aug 6, 2013 7:52 AM
Aug 2013
I have figured it out!

It was the mother. What gave it away was how Hibiki had both her legs cut off.

In the flash back, notice how sickly she was. this could have warranted the last request before death, ( this would justify Asami's character because her roll other then being obsessed with she introduce the last request before death)

Thus her last request was to see Hibiki.
Since there was no other shinigami with knowledge of this case other then Saya,
we can assume that she was assigned to Tomoe
Note how says on page 3 on the last panel "... I still have one wish that hasn't come true.."

From what it seems shinigami can choose when they interact with their target,
further more from what I've noticed these before death wishes are granted on the day of death.( proven by Asami dying, Chap 11 where the boy Shizuka dated died, and another chapter where a boy with a tumor died)
so prior to death Saya would have had time to look at the families files, so even if Tomoe didn't tell Saya there is a good chance she would have found out about the cousin.
This would have allowed her to notice Gou's cousin.

Now going out on a limb here, Saya could have noticed feelings of malice because it was the cousins fault that she was blinded and crippled.

To connect this remember she is still attached to Azuma, and therefor watches over him.

Saya knew about the the novels and his brother and with her watching over him noticed the brother desire to finish his novel. her own personal feeling in the way, Saya could have made the mistake.

this conflicts with something.
Saya cannot make mistake.

In the 4 big points its listed

- Saya cannot lie nor does she make mistakes.
- Shizuka is the only one who lived
- Shinigami rules, Shinigami rules must be applied to every action a shinigami makes.
- Last request, specifically ones that are unknown.

Saya cannot make a mistake and cannot lie, Mistakes involve shinigami rules. this this conflicts with 2 of the 4 points made.

how ever information from Asami that is unknown can invalidate one of these points.
which ever point is invalid must be able to validate the other conflict.
(this information will become clear at the bottom)

This is simple, The shinigami rule. If that is invalidated then it would give Saya free rein to do as she pleases so long as she is not discovered.

Now since Saya had free control this is what is likely to happen.

Saya arrive after researching this case and Grants Tomoe that ability of good health and eyesight.
however she changes the way she see's Hibiki to look like Gou's cousin.
pent up Rage causes Her to knock Hibiki out, Then chopping off her legs.
The husband appears and fight with Tomoe who then stabs him.
As he bleeds out Shizuka appears, Rushing to add his father Gou yell for him to stop, then he collapse to the ground and dies.
Shizuka then rushes to to his mother who has no intention of killing him, instead she commits suicide to atom for what she has done. Shizuka tried to stop her but she has a better body due to the last request and this over power him, cutting her neck with the axe in his hand as she drops to the floor. this would then set up the photo taken by Saya.

At this point
the death order would become

-Gou
-Hibiki
-Tomoe

Now here is when last request come into play

Since Gou died first his request would have to be to protect Shizuka since he is the only one left alive. status Granted.

Next Hibiki was to inflict maximum punishment on Shizuka.
This is where Saya took even further action.
She took the photo and sent it to Minamida to get his interest in the case
Using her power she then had Shikuza's trial rushed and death sentenced.
but Gou request came into play when Hibiki became a Shinigami.
Her actions lead to the death of Shizuka, this fulfilling her request of maximum punishment, The death penalty. then Hibiki brought him back to life keeping Gou's Request intact.

Now the quest left to answer is Saya motive.

Simple...

The novel titled F.

Shizuka completed the novel and since Saya would have had plenty of time to read it recreated the Novel to the best of her abilities. Also drawing Minamida attention to the Novel and Shizuka.
After that she had broken Shinigami rules and would have to lie, how ever, she then erased all memories of the incident to cover her tracks then erased her own memories so she would not be lying because she would not know anything. but left herself enough memory to know that she must continually erase Shizuka's memory if he learns to much.

The only loop hole is how Asami's information would be able to invalidate any one of Shizuka's points.

Remember Asami went to hell for murder.
so it safe to assume the Tomoe would be in hell as well.
assuming you can meet others in hell
Tomoe would be able to tell Asami the following

- she attacked a girl she believed to be her Late husbands cousin who caused her blindness after Saya granted her a healthy body and eye sight
- she then killed her husband for protecting her
- she then killed herself to atone for her sin
- she could then prove that Saya was present at the household
- Since Saya was present at the house she could have stopped Tomoe by revoking her last request, but neglected to thus breaking Shinigami code

Since she would have broken Shinigami code and therefor invalidating Shizuka's conclusion that Saya/all Shinigami followed the rules in their case. This information must have been what Shiroha meant by
" ... If Asami-san's information is true, then the answer that Shizuka-san's arrived at might be the wrong one."

In conclusion

The murder of the Family members was cause by

- Shinigami Saya

Carried out by

- Aida Tomoe

To benefit

- Minamida

For the completion of the novel written by

- Minamida Azuma

who is Saya's lover.
marth5464Aug 6, 2013 8:18 AM
Aug 20, 2013 12:28 AM

Nov 2011
3/10. Honestly, my mind is fucked after reading these few chapters. And the confusing plot along with the overall set up is just absurd.
Aug 21, 2013 1:29 AM

Jul 2008
That was great, I had no idea the chapters were out. I actually kind of liked this ending for a manga that was pre-maturely ended. That being said, I have no fucking idea who the murderer is, but I think it has something to do with Saaya having to look over coma dude until he's dead, but aside from that I'll probably never figure it out, also, I can assume that the MC died at the end of the series.

And you people speculated so much I can't be bother to read all that shit. XD

Side note; if this was a "Bad Ending" for a manga, it did manage to spark a lot of conversation among the readers.

EDIT: ..looking at the relationship pic at the end again, why the fuck does Prisoner Asami have info on the murderer..@>@
Aug 31, 2013 9:10 PM

May 2010
What can I say... That was wonderfully underhanded. I can only applaud the author.
Dec 8, 2013 2:30 AM

Aug 2012
Some fucker axed this series. I won't believe that the author purposely ended it this way. Leaving us with so few details to solve this seemingly unsolvable mystery is I think something that author wouldn't do.

The series overall was great. Blame the publisher if they are really the ones killed this series for this ending.

I have two conclusion as to what really happened on that day, but I am not convinced on my own conclusion.. yeah weird. Maybe one day, when I got the time to think and post some answers, I will post it here, but as of now... I'll be flipping some tables.
Jan 21, 2014 12:38 PM
Jan 2014
going on what was stated above. only one thing i know can negate hibiki's wish. what if hibiki's wish wasn't granted but shizuka was instead placed in a dead lock destiny thing. in that way it wouldn't matter if hibiki had wished that since he was destined to die and saaya never says anything because they never asked about shizuka.the shinigami who officially had shizuka's case only had known that he was going to die. or even if she new more her memory could be wiped. as it doesn't seem to be against the rules to use your powers outside of work or whenever you want. the fact that they only found 3 bodies at the crime scene means who ever was their left before the cops got there and is still alive. but judging by the angle the shot was taken i think the guy was in a prone position. saaya can't lie but its not like she has to answer fully. she just has to answer truthfully and it doesn't even have to be correct. when she was asked about the case she currently at that time did know. but when hibiki asked she could have erased that memory from her mind. and only leaving the implant that the memory can't be remembered by anyone. we also know shizuka was the last person to be wiped of meemory. as he was standing their for probably quite a while. hell he might have wished for the mind wipe himself. its not like your last wish can't be changed if someone of higher power issues it. if no one remembers or since she couldn't remember it probably wasn't written as a report since she would remember and that would be against the wish of the user. i also noticed that saaya never spoke to shizuka only to hibiki. so his mother probably used her wish to see hibiki. bringing in the cousin-sister was confusing but it was probably on the lines to save the mother from the accident. that leaves the father who wanted to save the perp. the perp may have been someone that the sister-cousin was close to. maybe he wanted to kill tomoe since she survived. case in point the perp didn't want to kill shizuka since he had nothing to do with the accident. perp probably works for or is close with mimanda. and since it was an aquaintance the father wouldn't want harm to happen to either of them. it would probably be that the perp had came in for a visit. and tomoe's wish was granted at an earlier point. though since your not supposed to show existance of shinigami it was probably a temporary measure or an image of her family flowing into her mind. back to the perp. as the perp had probably began preperation to kill it would be logical to think that hibiki may have been thought to have seen the perp. and had her feet cut off somehow. her father died shortly after this event after screaming no to shizuka who was probably going to kill the perp when he saw hibki or was on the verge of getting the weapon. in the fight her father dies and hibiki is taken out. maybe at this point he had kicked shizuika and than in the process of killing tomoe. shizuka got up and took the weapon. tomoe dies of her injuries. saaya comes talks to him about his destiny ender and he wishes to forget. the fathers wish actually was probably for shizuka to survive. if a shinigami can save lives this is also logical. sense mimianda knows of the last wish and only was confirming it. he probably spouted something about it to the perp and the perp knowing that someone close was dieing already probably decided to take the initiative. thinking of this saaya's lie thats seems like the truth was probably the act of completing hibiki's wish. plz poke a hole if you can find one
Dari14Jan 22, 2014 11:36 PM
Jan 21, 2014 12:44 PM

May 2010
Dari14, linebreaks, please. I want to read your post, but my eyes are bleeding.
Jul 8, 2014 12:31 AM
Feb 2010
- First you have to take into account the fact the manga had suddenly ended so you can take every detail near the end as crucial clue to solve this riddle !

- The sudden appearance of the aunt (the only unhappy perturbator element of the family, because of her improper emotion toward her brother) is in my guess the killer, most of you thought that her dead was the end of her, but what if she became a vengeful soul

Now for some argument:
1) why becoming a vengeful soul ?
she couldn't be with her brother, that's her regret in life.

2) Wait,why wasn't she dealt with a shinigami ?
her death was an accident which was nearly impossible to predict unlike sickness, and the shinigami missed her probably with the commotion over saaya helping her client just like the case with hibiki and kureha, also satsuki or ayame would have knew the aunt if she had a shinigami assigned to her.

3) Ok, it's not impossible but what would she do as vengeful soul ?
Try to kill the whole family except her darling, so here's who it went:
First who to possess ?
- The husband is out of question can't have darling deal with the police afterward
- The blind crippled wife ... are you serious how can she kill anyone in that body ?
- Leaves the boy and the girl; personally i'll go with the older stronger boy that fill perfectly since he had the weapon on hand and doesn't remember what happened before.

possessed shizuka now who the first victim (crippled blind wife/healthy girl) ? don't answer.

the first attaque was hibiki's legs because of the unusual placement of the hit i guess it was a surprise attack (she didn't go for the sure kill because she resembled her father or/+ made sure she won't run away/retaliate to ensure the success of her plan)

BUT mom comes to rescue ! (yes bear with me i'll explain it in the end) unexpect turn of event and struggles signs are present in the house next dad comes in watches the scene shocked, mom finnaly shocked off had a killing blow coming to her, dad comes in between screaming stop shizuka and take the hit near the chest (commun injury in struggles)

mom shocked with the view falls to her knees, the aunt is quick to blame her for charming him to defend her and sever her head without hesitation, afterword Saaya comes and erase the aunt's soul and hear hibiki's wish, takes the photo to provide evidence for shizuku's dead penalty, and later erase her own memories to grant the father's wish to keep the TRUTH a secret. (the perfect being she is took the wish literally while he taught about covering shizuka himself, she end up accepting blaming him to cover the aunt's deed) which created this twisted situation.

Now for the mom's miraculous recovery:

the last chapter showed her suddenly mentioning if shizuka had a wish, in other word her dead was closing and it was of sickness so she met a shinigami beforehand and knew of the last wish but she still hesitated for using it for her own recovery since she would die soon later anyway, her talk with shizuka given her the determination to make the wish, but was granted around the time shizuka was possessed and blowed up the aunt's plan.

now Minamida:

He clearly has no idea about the shinigami so it's simple, what his brother didn't finish was the story,and since he don't know he could just make a wish for recovery he had to go for other means, he found's Boy A's story on the net and after doing his homework he gets the photo (from the police or other source, rich kid with connections) after that he tests shizuka's intelligence with the game when satisfied he made the call.

-After much time Shizuka noticed Minamida's goal and made the gamble to trade information with him he provide proof of the last wish and he gets informations about the photo

-Oh almost forgot, Satsuki said that even if shizuka made the wish to know the killer he wouldn't know that's because she noticed that saaya erased her own memories and remember the first chapters of the manga every shinigami make a report of the client details to be kept so saaya's report must be blank in the end no one would be able to tell him what happened even using a wish.

I believe that some parts that are stretched but I'm nearly certain that's what's happened, looking forward to your feedback, and please point out if there is any hole in my story.
zakarutoJul 8, 2014 12:53 AM
Nov 12, 2014 7:10 AM

Jan 2014
Really really horrible ending.

Somehow I got the feeling that the author wasn't trying for some sort of literary stunt, trying to get readers to solve the mystery. I got the feeling that the abrupt ending happened because the manga got canceled. Because years after the end of the last chapter, the author didn't come out and reveal the answer right? So that wasn't some sort of mystery game meant to raise publicity for the manga. It got axed, and he got lazy or fed up.

So I am not going to bother trying to solve this mystery. I sincerely believe that the story was supposed to be played out for some more chapters with more clues added. Even with the four important clues given, there were still more questions left unanswered at the end. Is Shizuka going to die? What did the younger Minamida want with him? Why did the younger Minamida have the picture? And how?

As things are right now, there are too many possibilities. Unless the author gets off his ass and tells us, maybe on his blog or whatever, we will never know who the real murderer is.

Yes, it could be someone close to the father. Someone the father wanted to protect. And we could spend hours speculating but never find out who, because the manga was discontinued before the author could introduce this new character.

And yes, it could also be possible that Shizuka was possessed by an evil spirit and committed the murders under the influence of spirit(?) and his memories was erased by one of the parents in order to protect his sanity. But who was the evil spirit? Author is not saying anything.

And yes, the mother-possessed-by-evil-spirit theory is plausible too. But we would never know. Not unless the author bothers putting up a short story, at the very least, on his blog.

*sigh* Great story so far. Until the end. I felt bad for the story when they introduced the "Six months passed" panel and the cell phone photo. They were going for a rushed cop-out ending. Because "six months passed" without any developments and suddenly there's this guy with a photo taken at the crime scene.
Dec 13, 2014 3:58 AM

Mar 2013
I'll just take this one as Azuma's unfinished novel. The theme was "Perfect Crime" after all so i guess it cannot be solved.
Mar 31, 2015 1:37 AM
Mar 2015
There is one thing most seem to have missed. How do a shinigami fullfill a last request? They ussually use there power and what power would be needed to let the mother see? Healing. and as this sis once said it is a very very rare power so how was any shinigami able to heal the mother?

Cancel of a last request!!! If the mothers sicness was a last request from lets say the fathers kusin well canceld the mother would be enterily fixed and there is a small possibilety that the kousin didn't go to the after life (i WANT TO STAY BEHIND UNTILL SHE DIES) or somthing, also it is possible that she fleed the afterlife, becoming an evil spirit possesed the now healthy mother starting killing. When the first one died that wish was rebuked and killed the mother by a heart attack.

I also belive that the picture was made by the brother for some reason.
May 12, 2015 11:20 AM

Sep 2010
eeh.. damn .-.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shinigamisama ni Saigo no Onegai wo Chapter 5 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Feb 22, 2011

7 by shirozuki »»
Apr 21, 2014 4:52 PM

Poll: » Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai wo Chapter 13 Discussion

NamelessNoogai - Aug 29, 2012

4 by Stark700 »»
Aug 19, 2013 11:51 PM

Poll: » Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai wo Chapter 12 Discussion

13man18 - Aug 1, 2012

6 by Stark700 »»
Aug 19, 2013 11:41 PM

Poll: » Shinigami-sama ni Saigo no Onegai wo Chapter 11 Discussion

-Kazu - Jul 12, 2012

5 by Stark700 »»
Aug 19, 2013 11:32 PM

Poll: » Shinigamisama ni Saigo no Onegai wo Chapter 9 Discussion

Exkalamity - Sep 28, 2011

11 by Stark700 »»
Aug 18, 2013 11:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.