Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 10, 2008 7:36 PM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Really liked this episode. There were some weird parts (What's this? Classified Information!? *promptly opens and starts reading*... and then Amuro is able to use the Gundam after like 12 seconds of looking at the manual), but overall, it left a good impression. Char's helmet is badass... well, Char is pretty much a badass in general. Already he has a great line: "Nobody likes to admit... to the mistakes of their youth." Looking forward to watching his character.

And did I mishear, or did they say that both sides of the war have lost half of their population? That's fairly ridiculous. As a comparison, the Nazi Germany lost about 10% of its population in WWII and the Soviet Union about 13%. If the war is that destructive, it's hard to believe that Amuro would be so relaxed when the warning sirens went off.

The OP and ED animations are epically cheesy. In fact, just about equally epic and cheesy. XD (and it's weird to have the next episode preview before the credits role. Wonder when that got changed)
Apr 30, 2009 5:20 PM

Mar 2008
Military Secrets? DO WANT! *reads* xD
Chaotic situation around me? Who cares? *keeps reading*
*insert cheesy music used when mysteries are being unraveled*

It was an interesting start, although there is a certain other series that starts almost exactly like this one... This is the original one, so I'll stick with it, for the time being xD

Best part (this was WIN! xD):
Amuro: "Fraw, you'll die too if you stay here. Run for it Fraw."
Fraw: "No! I can't!" *cries*
Amuro: *slaps*

Also, Naikou, you didn't mishear. They did say that they each lost half of their total population in one month. The time frame really makes it look unbelievable, but lets suppose it happened and that Amuro just doesn't care about anything but his computer. The geek!
ArcanusApr 30, 2009 5:38 PM
Aug 29, 2009 5:36 PM

Oct 2008
I can't believe it..

So, this is the legendary Amuro Ray?

So, this is the birth of the Gundam series?

Somewhat disappointed as opposed to being impressed. Oh well..
Aug 29, 2009 6:16 PM

Jan 2008
Yes, because starting a tale with a teenage character already perfect and with no room left for any development is the way to go. Yep!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 16, 2009 12:30 PM

Jun 2009
I feel sad that I HAVEN'T watched the original Gundam up until now. It's AWESOME.
Oct 22, 2009 9:15 AM

May 2008
Beatnik said:
Yes, because starting a tale with a teenage character already perfect and with no room left for any development is the way to go. Yep!

Yep yep!
Oct 22, 2009 9:22 AM

Sep 2007
Beatnik said:
There should be more anime where the protagonist starts as a confident badass and slowly devolves into a whiny teenager.
Oct 23, 2009 12:17 AM

May 2008
naikou said:
Beatnik said:
There should be more anime where the protagonist starts as a confident badass and slowly devolves into a whiny teenager.

Character de-development?
Oct 23, 2009 3:04 AM

Jan 2008
naikou said:
Beatnik said:

That would be interesting, but probably not handled well. I dont trust modern TV anime writers.

Back on topic though, Amuro was not even a whiny useless teen anyway, it's really not fair to bash him in the first episode of this anime. Compared to other main characters of mecha anime, he's practically a badass from day one. Look at punk bitches like Renton from Eureka Seven, so awful it made me drop that anime.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Nov 8, 2009 6:14 PM

Oct 2009
Eh, so are Zeon freedom fighters or what? I'm kinda curious what's going on between the two parties, especially considering how destructive the war (apparently) is. Does the political aspect of the war even come into play in this anime, or should I just chill and enjoy the awesome battles? @_@
Feb 21, 2010 3:48 PM

May 2009
canephalanx said:
naikou said:
Beatnik said:
I lol'd.

I liked this episode a lot. It's so cheesy! Awesomely cheesy! I hope I can enjoy this anime. It's the first Gundam after all, I want to love it. xD
Feb 27, 2010 8:56 PM

Jul 2007
Wow i can't believe i never watched the Gundam shows before. SO this is the birth of the gundam series. Pretty good episode. I always get a different nostalgia feeling w hen ever i watch classics. In a way there just so much better then modern anime seen today.

You may think im sounding wierd, but i think much of the older anime series like from the 80's and 90's are better in alot of areas. For one, you don't get all those eye candy colors, girls with over sized large pupils and characters some times have no expressions, like i have watched so many series where the female is "constantly" smiling. I guess its a way of depicting female characters to sell fan service in anime shows.

I mean it gets annoying, even during the dramatic parts or during the depressing parts, the female character just always has a smile no matter what. It makes no sense. (shakugan no shana, The mom and lets not forget what happend to her eyes o_0)

I think they had it right back in the 80s where all the characters have this more originality look to them. You can relate your self to them more because they look more realistic. There personalities are more like an actual human instead of being a "overly cute, giddy girl" Some characters you even question if there actual humans or not cause they have one sided personalities and only a single expression.
ArtimesGamerFeb 27, 2010 9:00 PM

Jul 27, 2010 11:35 AM

May 2008
I was surprised that Amuro already kicked ass in the first episode, but I found it rather awsome to start a series. Also Char seems badass~
Aug 11, 2010 3:13 PM
Jun 2010
This episode is badass. Some random teenager finds the secret behind gundam, pilots the mobile suit he finds and simply destroy everything in sight. This show looks promising. There's actually animation, something that lacks nowadays in Japanese cartoon...

Sep 28, 2010 8:44 AM

Aug 2009
And so it begins.. I've put 00 s2 on hold because someone told me that there's a pretty cool omgwtf moment that would be enhanced if I watched this.

God what have I gotten myself in to?
Nov 6, 2010 9:29 PM

Feb 2010
Finally decided to give Gundam a chance and after the first episode I kinda like it. Not really special so far, but not bad either. Gonna see how this develops.

But Fraw Bow(?) really is a strange name ^^
AlcoholicideNov 6, 2010 9:57 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 7, 2010 1:19 AM

Sep 2009
Finally going to be watching this properly.
Like many other shows, I have seen bits and pieces over the ages. Mostly when I was a wee little one.

I hope I'm in for a treat. I know the plot and everything else already....Now I get to see how it unfolds. Which is the exciting thing.
Feb 15, 2011 7:10 AM

Jun 2009
Maybe Armuro Ray is a genius? How else can him learning how to pilot the gundam happen so ungodly fast? That said, it was pretty cool to see him kick so much ass while freaking out the entire time. Also, did I imagine things or did he indirectly kill his father?

And, Char already rocks. Though his outfit is kind of out there.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 20, 2011 1:23 PM

Sep 2008
finally got around to watching this...and I see some familiar faces from lotgh forum :P
I feared it would be boring and cheesy but I was wrong (thankfully). It seems pretty mature for its time. And Amuro is pretty decent for a shounen protagonist, I must say
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 28, 2011 5:08 PM

May 2010
eyerok said:
finally got around to watching this...and I see some familiar faces from lotgh forum :P

You don't say...

I pretty much hate Mecha, but let's see how this goes.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 3, 2011 1:20 PM

Aug 2009
I am almost finished with Zeta and randomly decided to watch the first ep of this one. I'm actually kind of glad I watched Zeta first, because I feel like it gave me more of an appreciation of Amuro and Char, so watching this will feel like a prequel in which I already care about the characters and know their futures (or some of their future anyway).

Anyway, Char seems way cooler in this one. Not that he wasn't cool in Zeta, but it seems he will be more of a focus here, and besides that, he and Amuro are going to have rivalry! I LOVE rivalry! The proper kind, where you follow and get to know both characters as people, instead of just having one of them be an evil villain whose only purpose is to be hated and eventually killed off in some cheesy fashion.

So in conclusion: This is awesome.
Mar 23, 2011 9:41 AM

Aug 2009
canephalanx said:
naikou said:
Beatnik said:

lol there are a lot of characters like that , they are just all female : p
Oct 2, 2011 7:08 PM

Mar 2009
Currently watching this (on ep 11). Great show. I can't even imagine how awesome Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin will be.
Oct 2, 2011 10:23 PM

Jun 2011
Bagonirix said:
Currently watching this (on ep 11). Great show. I can't even imagine how awesome Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin will be.

QFT

It gets alot better later on, and I'm definitely looking forward to The Origin.
Oct 15, 2011 4:18 AM

Jul 2008
Kinzo said:
I feel sad that I HAVEN'T watched the original Gundam up until now. It's AWESOME.

+ good story so far
+ good villin "gundam good as far the maskid rivel is
+ the art age will "fo mecha"
+ the music >_< sweet
+ Sayla is so dame cut XD
+ 80's mech yah

- animetion age fo the charchters but stell good art
- the story over kild by the years after but not thy folt
- same charchters so .....

so far 9/10
ill update each 5 ep :p
Nov 11, 2011 9:26 AM

Feb 2009
Rewatching this for the first time since Cartoon Network canned the series 10 years ago. It's a shame that so many anime fans won't give this a chance because it "looks old".

Nov 24, 2011 10:05 AM
May 2011
I had quite a problem as well with Amuro being able to operate the Gundam instantly. But I supposed it's somewhat justified in that the Gundam is a "self-learning computer" so perhaps it is capable of performing basic tasks like moving and attacking, and the user just gives overall commands.

EDIT: Also, the first poster in this thread made a very interesting comparison between half of the populations being killed and WWII's death tolls, which did seem ridiculous at first glance. However, I'd say that it's somewhat justified when you take in account that they've been using nuclear warfare, with massive communities of civilians being killed.
jimboli92Nov 24, 2011 1:57 PM
Feb 7, 2012 9:05 AM

Jan 2011
I think the animation here is - no exaggeration intended - beautiful. Even jaw dropping. There's something arresting about the vivid colors of the RX-78, and I don't think a bit of expression is lost in the faces of these characters when compared to modern anime. I feel like the style is perfect.

I've seen this series from front to back prior to this watch I'm embarking on now, just never in chronological order, and just rewatching it I think there's a subject I want to address with both first time and long time watchers.

There's this famous quote floating around about how Tomino wasn't looking to make any type of commentary into war, or really even embed any artistic significance in the series whatsoever. That he was simply doing his job to create what amounts to making a commercial to sell model kits. But when examine the series we surely see a conflict with that. What's the point of crafting a series that so immediately deals with heavy emotional issues and death? I just think it's interesting that Tomino - however unintentionally - created a series so significant and enduring not just for its plot and animation but for its themes and character development. That sort of thing is totally unnecessary to sell model kits, yet here we are.
Feb 26, 2012 5:31 AM
Nov 2010
Finally giving this a try.
It has a good start. I actually squealed (yes, I do squeal sometimes) when I saw a Zaku for the first time. I've been collecting those for the past 12 years just because they look like Leos (from my beloved Gundam Wing).
It looks promising and I'm liking it already.
Mar 5, 2012 1:27 PM

Oct 2009
Great first ep! & sooo it begins! :D
Dec 21, 2012 1:57 PM

Jun 2009
I actually liked this a lot more the second time. Again, it was cool how Amuro was freaking out, and understandably so, while fighting. The fact that he was able to kick ass at the same time was impressive. Oh, and as cheesy as some may consider it, I actually found the "Run Fraw Bow!" scene somewhat powerful. Terrible fucking name, though.

Oh, and yeah, I have watched the movie trilogy all the way through but I feel as though I owe it to myself to watch the full series. I mean, it's one of the more "important" anime series out there.
Ston3_FreeN7Dec 21, 2012 2:00 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 7, 2013 4:46 PM

Jul 2008
Is it just me or did that quote from Char not make any sense? It felt like it was just thrown in there.

I watched the movies years ago, but I don't remember much of them. I think I rushed them at the time. I plan on watching Unicorn so I figured I'd start here.
May 22, 2013 4:17 PM

Nov 2012
Okay, I admit I laughed at a few parts of this episode, but it was also good.
Jul 2, 2013 1:14 AM

Sep 2008
Aaah, so this is where it all began. Amuro looks pretty intresting guy. Just playing with his computer while sirens blare outside. And who wouldn't take a peek to any book that said classified material?

Fraw Bow seems to be your normal female co-lead that is just there to shout main character's name.
Oct 27, 2013 12:12 AM
May 2013
This was great , I think I will love this anime.

This is my first Gundam. I wanted to watch it because I heard is epic and because some of mecha designs, although I don't expect to see them in this season .
Jan 7, 2014 10:16 AM
Aug 2011
I'm gong to try to burn through as much Gundam as I can this month.
Zeta is what i'm looking forward to the most but i'm actually going to try and follow the timeline a bit.

Nope_ said:
Okay, I admit I laughed at a few parts of this episode, but it was also good.

Me too.

I find that 70-80s anime have some moments that are unintentionally hilarious.
Like random things sparkling, the way things explode and stuff.
Also, the sounds and movements add to that and you just can't get that while watching new anime.
Jan 8, 2014 11:37 PM

Mar 2013
Holy.Fuckin'.Shit. That was FANTASTIC.

The opening and ending songs were very weird, extremely different from what we see nowdays, but I liked their old-school feel. Amuro seems like the usual 70s-80s protagonist and it's funny how he managed to use the Gundam after 10 seconds of reading the manual (all while Zeon attacked Side 7).

Also, Char!

10/10
Feb 6, 2014 10:23 PM

Oct 2013
Had nothing better to do, I decided to watch this randomly.
So this is how the series started huh?

Also, extremely cheesy OP and ED. I literally laughed, not that I dislike them or anything.
May 26, 2014 9:40 PM

Jul 2009
Finally started watching the Universal Century timeline!!

I grew up with After Colony(Gundam Wing), Cosmic Era(Gundam Seed) and Anno Domino(Gundam 00)

Now we'll see how the franchise started!!!

To be honest i only watched this because my interest for hte franchise was renewed when i finished Gundam Wing last January 2014.

That and because of the game Gundam Extreme Versus and Gundam Unicorn finally finished this year!!!

Amuro is such a wimp at first, but i know he'll become a badass later on :)

I did lol when he the file said classified then Amuro proceeds to read it and mastered it in a matter of minutes all in real time XD

Char's voice!!! He's also in Saiunkoku Monogatari(which i'm watching right now)

Love his voice! Definitely the only Char out there!!

Lots of amazing fight scenes and all!

Can't wait for more episodes!!
Jun 6, 2014 10:18 AM

Jan 2008
naikou said:
The OP and ED animations are epically cheesy.
Jul 31, 2014 9:41 AM

Apr 2013
Finally I've found some time to start watching this legendary mecha series. The art style is similar to some of the old OVAs of that time.
Jan 4, 2015 2:58 PM

Feb 2013
I laughed when he slapped the girl.

Anyways... I figured it was about time I watched the original Gundam.
Mar 1, 2015 1:12 AM

Nov 2011
Half of humanity dying in a month is pretty unbelievable. I think the people would be a lot more terrified than they already were if that were the case. Amuro's calm in the midst of it all was pretty unusual too. His slapping of Fran Bow nearly made me laugh due to how grossly inappropriate (and surprising) it was.

That Gundam is either incredibly easy to pilot or Amuro's a genius when it comes to reading comprehension. I did like how panicky he was, which was understandable and allowed for showcasing the Gundam's sheer superiority over the Zakus. I think Amuro inadvertently killed his father though... That there wasn't a bit of narrative focus on this beyond showing him get sucked into space is slightly unsettling.

The old artstyle is pretty charming, to be honest. The opening was ridiculously cheesy (and temporarily had my expectations going in a very different direction), but the actual episode was a bit closer to what I imagined. What I find interesting is how little the "flaws" bothered me. I can appreciate that we're thrust into the story so quickly, as well as how the protagonist takes the most logical course of action.

And to be honest, the slap aside, I thought the death of Fran Bow's family was handled pretty well considering this is just the first episode.

It was a good first impression overall.
Mar 6, 2015 11:57 AM

Mar 2013
Finally I start watching this
May 4, 2015 1:03 PM

Jun 2014
Seriously. That space colony didn't have a guard or something? So any tresspasser can enter easily.
They easily wiped out with only two robots. They didn't even fight back. Lel
May 13, 2015 12:57 PM

Feb 2015
Did they say both lost half of their total population that's insane.

Pretty wierd how he knew how to control it by looking at a manual for like 30 seconds but ok I'll accept it.

Time to start watching the gundam franchise.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2015 4:23 AM

Oct 2013
MASTERPIECE:
Jul 31, 2015 3:29 AM
Feb 2015
Enjoyed the first episode. It has an element of cheesiness to it, but it also has that Saturday morning cartoon vibe. It's definitely a lot darker than cartoons I grew up with. On a sidenote: Char has a great design. Not only that, there is a sense of awesome that emanates off of him. He had only a few scenes, but every one of them he held a very strong presence.
Aug 7, 2015 8:17 AM

Dec 2013
Gonna make this my first TV Gundam series as of today, gotta say I'm really easing into the show's retro feel and charm. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Aug 26, 2015 10:34 AM

Sep 2013
Does anyone know where I can watch this? I cannot find it.

I would prefer it to be English sub please
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 36 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - May 27, 2008

102 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - May 26, 2008

79 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 14, 8:36 PM

» Complete Watch order

Grontan - Jan 2

15 by JoniGamer1996 »»
Apr 1, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

mell4444 - Mar 25, 2010

53 by T3RCK_Z »»
Mar 12, 6:18 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Apr 6, 2008

59 by KitsuFrost »»
Feb 22, 11:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.