Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 17, 2012 10:47 PM
Apr 2008
Am i expecting too much or not, i haven't watched it I'm waiting for the anime to finish its episodes and do a marathon out of it.

But the anime haven't yet finished and i see some of reviews here describing the anime baaaaaaad.

is it worth watching or is this anime is just too controversial.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 17, 2012 10:51 PM

Mar 2012
This show is a masterpiece. Possibly the best anime show in (recent) history. Animation is almost as good as Fate/Zero, but the story is better than anything i've seen. Kirito is the smartest character in anime.
End Zionazism
Sep 2012
It's not absolutely terrible but at the same time it's not at all what we've heard from the hype.

This season is actually 2 different arcs so it shouldn't be a problem if you started on it right now.

Right now I've given it a 6.

Apr 2012
Watch it yourself. We aren't here to babysit and spoonfeed you.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Nov 17, 2012 10:54 PM

Jan 2008
Honestly, I wouldn't take anything serious on this forum when it comes to SAO.

Despite all the negative and low scored reviews, look at the current rating. What does that say? Lots of fanboys? Probably, but hey, it must be extremely enjoyable to have gotten that much to begin with.

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

Oct 2012
Mikasa said:
This show is a masterpiece. Possibly the best anime show in (recent) history. Animation is almost as good as Fate/Zero, but the story is better than anything i've seen. Kirito is the smartest character in anime.

Atleast put a /sarcasm tag so the OP won't get confused.

Nov 2011
Honestly it's overrated. The story and characters are mediocre, but the animation and scenery are gorgeous. It's ending in what 5 or 6 episodes but it feels like nothing has build up yet.

But if you're a gamer like me, you're going to enjoy it for nostalgia purposes. Don't expect too much though, it's fun but nothing extraordinary
Nov 17, 2012 10:57 PM
Sep 2012
Paul said:

Despite all the negative and low scored reviews, look at the current rating. What does that say? Lots of fanboys? Probably, but hey, it must be extremely enjoyable to have gotten that much to begin with.

Oh and Suguha's boobies.
You forgot Asuna's wonderful ass.
Nov 17, 2012 10:59 PM

Feb 2012
Personally i find the anime to be enjoyable , and loved the LN with that being said the anime isn't bad just don't expect it to match up to the level of the LN, if your someone who has read it.
Nov 17, 2012 10:59 PM

Apr 2012
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

Half the viewers didn't vote yet. I'd say over 80% of the current votes are from the first 2-3 episodes.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Nov 17, 2012 11:01 PM

Aug 2011
Don't keep your expectations high and you'll be fine.
Nov 17, 2012 11:05 PM

Jan 2008
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

Half the viewers didn't vote yet. I'd say over 80% of the current votes are from the first 2-3 episodes.

Shouldn't be a problem. No different than people making a review when the anime isn't over.

Regardless, I'm still expecting the show to score in the high 7's or the 8's by the end, at least on MAL. It's the same pattern with every hyped anime, good example would be Guilty Crown.
Nov 17, 2012 11:07 PM

Apr 2012
Paul said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

Shouldn't be a problem. No different than people making a review when the anime isn't over.

Regardless, I'm still expecting the show to score in the high 7's or the 8's by the end, at least on MAL. It's the same pattern with every hyped anime, good example would be Guilty Crown.

Except the first 2-3 episodes are nothing like what it is currently.
Nov 17, 2012 11:09 PM
Sep 2012
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

I agree. I think that Paul is being a bit too generous. The show we down hill for a while and has redeemed itself a bit with Suguha fanservice and better pacing.

I'd expect it to be in the upper 6's or mid 7's.
Nov 17, 2012 11:10 PM

Apr 2012
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

I agree. I think that Paul is being a bit too generous. I'd expect it to be in the upper 6's or mid 7's.

No. I think Paul's estimate is pretty damn spot on because MAL has shit taste and 7-10 rating system.
Nov 17, 2012 11:11 PM

Jan 2008
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

I don't think it'll really matter considering most people don't base their ratings base on episode rather most go the simple way of simply rating the series purely on enjoyment factor.
Nov 17, 2012 11:15 PM
Sep 2012
Paul said:
I don't think it'll really matter considering most people don't base their ratings base on episode rather most go the simple way of simply rating the series purely on enjoyment factor.
Many of the viewers have been really disappointed in SAO so the enjoyment factor should go down a bit. Lie I said, upper 6's to mid 7''s
Nov 17, 2012 11:16 PM
Sep 2012
BloodRequiem said:
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

I agree. I think that Paul is being a bit too generous. I'd expect it to be in the upper 6's or mid 7's.

No. I think Paul's estimate is pretty damn spot on because MAL has shit taste and 7-10 rating system.
I've rated this a 6 and I've seen plenty of others rate this even lower. That should hopefully even things out.
Nov 17, 2012 11:18 PM

Jan 2008
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

I've rated this a 6 and I've seen plenty of others rate this even lower. That should hopefully even things out.

For every one person rating it 6 or under, there will be 10 people rating it 7 or above. Lol
Nov 17, 2012 11:21 PM
Sep 2012
Paul said:
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

For every one person rating it 6 or under, there will be 10 people rating it 7 or above. Lol
Like I said: mid 7's.

I guess it's because I'm still new and I still have faith in people. lol
Nov 17, 2012 11:23 PM

Apr 2012
AiCon said:
Paul said:
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

Guilty Crown is still 7.8
There's no way this shit's dropping below 8.
Give it another season or so and you'll learn to not put any faith in MAL.
Nov 17, 2012 11:25 PM

Sep 2012
Its alright if you don't expect too much from it. I haven't seen it all but based from what I have seen I could still recommend giving it a try. It only gets a lot of hate because the fans seem to think its the best anime ever. I would put it in the same category as guilty crown and elfen lied being somewhat entertaining but a little disappointing at times due to what it could have been.
Nov 17, 2012 11:28 PM

Jul 2012
Mikasa said:

woah I know you like the anime and all but the animation is def not like fate/zero not even close.
If you go on the forums you'll see people praising the animation of Fate/zero which has the animation of a full length movie seriously. That's pretty exaggerated this anime is for people who are interested in a romance story/ gaming world slice of life
Nov 17, 2012 11:29 PM

Nov 2012
watch it yourself.. judge it yourself.. do not let anyone influence your enjoyment..

i recommend that after watching the anime, have some time to read the LN to have a more detailed explanation of the things that happened
Nov 17, 2012 11:29 PM

Apr 2012
Amon-Raw said:
Mikasa said:

woah I know you like the anime and all but the animation is def not like fate/zero not even close.
If you go on the forums you'll see people praising the animation of Fate/zero which has the animation of a full length movie seriously. That's pretty exaggerated this anime is for people who are interested in a romance story/ gaming world

...Did you actually think Mikasa was being serious? The last sentence is pretty much a dead give away.
Nov 17, 2012 11:30 PM
Nov 2008
Amon-Raw said:
Mikasa said:

If you go on the forums you'll see people praising the animation of Fate/zero which has the animation of a full length movie seriously. That's pretty exaggerated this anime is for people who are interested in a romance story/ gaming world

Proof that sarcasm is hard to get across in writing ^^.
Nov 17, 2012 11:31 PM

Jul 2012
BloodRequiem said:
Amon-Raw said:
Mikasa said:

...Did you actually think Mikasa was being serious? The last sentence is pretty much a dead give away.

Lol you never know some fans of this anime say some exaggerated stuff about it
Nov 17, 2012 11:36 PM

Aug 2009
AiCon said:
Paul said:
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

Thanks to the latest ep I am thinking of lowering it to 6.Knowing what is happening in the LN just makes it worse when seeing "it" in the anime.
Nov 17, 2012 11:39 PM
Sep 2012
ssjokg said:
AiCon said:
Paul said:
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
AiCon said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:
BloodRequiem said:
Paul said:

Oh and Suguha's boobies.

Thanks to the latest ep I am thinking of lowering it to 6.Knowing what is happening in the LN just makes it worse when seeing "it" in the anime.
Oh, thank you. I was beginning to fear that I'd be alone after reading this:
BloodRequiem said:
Guilty Crown is still 7.8
There's no way this shit's dropping below 8.
Give it another season or so and you'll learn to not put any faith in MAL.
Nov 17, 2012 11:45 PM

Jun 2008
Sword Art Online is the worst anime ever.
Nov 17, 2012 11:47 PM

Oct 2012
It started off with an excellent sci-fi premise with a lot of potential. However, as we got further into the show, it turned out that it was going to be more focused on romance, with the main character white knighting all the girls in the game. Then, they introduced the second love interest... In other words, go in knowing the genre and it isn't half bad, but don't expect what it isn't. SAO is harem with a sci-fi background.

Why would you not watching something that's controversial? That doesn't make any sense.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 17, 2012 11:48 PM
Sep 2012
Redfoxoffire said:
I've seen a lot worse:http://myanimelist.net/anime/1194/Coyote_Ragtime_Show and http://myanimelist.net/anime/15045/Litchi_DE_Hikari_Club
Nov 17, 2012 11:50 PM

Apr 2012
Redfoxoffire said:

But that's not Eiken...
Nov 18, 2012 12:03 AM
Nov 2010
Compared to the light novel, Sword Art Online is definitely a let-down. Personally, I'd still recommend it but it wouldn't be on the top of my list compared to other anime out there.

I agree with katsucats, the description of being more focused on romance is accurate since a lot of the characters do develop interest in the main character. That being said, I personally liked the romance in the anime. Without it the anime loses all of its punch, especially in the first season and even in the second season.

Of course, if you're only interested in seeing sword fights like Bleach than you probably will be very disappointed. Considering all the romance and heart-wrenching side-stories as filler between fights would be a tragedy. Almost all the fights revolved around dying in real life when you die in-game, and if the only person that cared they were dying was the person dying, the anime would have no emotional pull for deaths.
Nov 18, 2012 12:22 AM

Jun 2009
Lower your expectations is all the advice I can give you.

Actually, I just saw your favorite list, I think you'll be able to enjoy this show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 18, 2012 12:40 AM

Sep 2010
Redfoxoffire said:

Your favorite animes and genres seems to be pretty much the opposite of what is in SAO, so stop bitching about how everyone doesn't seem to have the same taste as yours...
ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
Nov 18, 2012 12:43 AM

Apr 2012
omfgugay said:
Redfoxoffire said:

Your favorite animes and genres seems to be pretty much the opposite of what is in SAO, so stop bitching about how everyone doesn't seem to have the same taste as yours...

You what? People would actually take you seriously if didn't use only 1,5, and 10s as your ratings.
That and...your name.
Nov 18, 2012 12:48 AM

Nov 2011
C'mon, most of you have been on MAL longer than me, there's no way this show is going below 8.3 or 8.4, the current arc is decent too, the current score giving the current amount of episodes aired is top 5 pattern, the score will rise after the last ep, it'll take a couple of weeks after before it starts coming down imo if it ever.

I'm not an SAO hater, i think its okay, despite its flaws the show delivers what most average users are looking for, very few people usually people who have watched anime for a while actually care about plot, character development, animation and whatnot, so far the show has action, fanservice and a nice story, it will receive more 10s
Zee530Nov 18, 2012 12:53 AM

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 18, 2012 12:53 AM

Jun 2012
Because I have been forbidden to use the Naruto copypasta to show how SAO is bad and draw allusions to how they are similar, I'll instead give bullet points.

>Rushed, nonsensical plot filled with jarring time skips
>Gary Stu
>Bland love interest
>Bland characters
>Mediocre OST
>Mediocre fights
>Pandering of the worst kind
>Minimal use of its setting (you could just use a standard fantasy setting instead of an MMO and there would be no difference)
>Fanbase of the worst kind (see: episode 9. The whole forum erupted in praise for a mediocre fight scene and Kirito using his usual Gary Stu powers to get through the plot. No tactics or anything)

And finally, it's because of topics like these that we hate SAO. And now I'll retreat and come back later to berate you guys for extending the discussion to 10+ pages.
Nov 18, 2012 12:55 AM
Sep 2011
Redfoxoffire said:

LOL-ed at your MAL. Only one ongoing of 30 rated? it's SAO and it gets 1. No other anime of 500+ titles completed has 1 as it's rating. Even Guilty Crown dropped at 9/22 has 3.

Just another hater, who hates even not the show itself but only it's rating... I can only laugh.
XaliussNov 18, 2012 12:59 AM
Nov 18, 2012 1:01 AM
Jul 2012
Xaliuss said:
Redfoxoffire said:

LOL-ed at your MAL. Only one ongoing of 30 rated? it's SAO and it gets 1. No other anime of 500+ titles completed has 1 as it's rating. Even Guilty Crown dropped at 9/22 has 3.

Just another hater, who hates even not the show itself but only it's rating... I can only laugh.

over 90% of anime rated 8+
gave SAO a 10 before it finished
just another shit taster, who has shit tastes...i can only laugh
Nov 18, 2012 1:02 AM
Feb 2008
I wish you haters would off yourselves, or at least stop posting about an anime you don't like. You're everything that's wrong with the world.
Nov 18, 2012 1:02 AM

Nov 2011
Xaliuss said:
Redfoxoffire said:

Although sure, 1 isn't exactly a fair score, I can't take any of your words as serious as his/hers. You rated SAO a 10 and even that Sword Art Offline special a 10.. I mean come on man.

ChrisNP said:
I wish you haters would off yourselves, or at least stop posting about an anime you don't like. You're everything that's wrong with the world.

Yes, haters do exist, but a lot of people don't just hate randomly. If no one were to complain, criticize or point out faults in shows every anime good or bad would only have high ratings.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Nov 18, 2012 1:04 AM

Apr 2012
The hypocrisy in this thread sure escalated quickly.
Nov 18, 2012 1:04 AM

Oct 2012
ChrisNP said:
A little dramatic, aren't we here? If you need everyone to agree with you, go use a mirror.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 18, 2012 1:06 AM
Feb 2008
katsucats said:
A little dramatic, aren't we here? If you need everyone to agree with you, go use a mirror.

I would let you disagree with me if I wasn't sure that you're a misanthrope hosebag.
Nov 18, 2012 1:07 AM

Aug 2012
I actually find SAO pretty entertaining. Fuck me right?
Nov 18, 2012 1:07 AM

Oct 2012
ChrisNP said:
katsucats said:

I would let you disagree with me if I wasn't sure that you're a misanthrope hosebag.
That hurts man, don't be mean.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 18, 2012 1:09 AM

Apr 2012
Necro-sama said:
I actually find SAO pretty entertaining. Fuck me right?

Naw. It's already been established that shit can be enjoyable.
Nov 18, 2012 1:12 AM

Nov 2012
popcorn anyone??

haters will never stop hating
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.