Forum Settings
Forums

What does it take for an anime to get a high/perfect score or even be considered a masterpiece by you?

New
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 28, 2013 3:27 PM

May 2013
Its one thing for me - 'How many times can I go back and watch it before I get bored?'

As of right now, nothing I've ever watched I've gone back and watched more than thrice.

Which ain't nearly enough in my book.
Jun 28, 2013 4:02 PM

Aug 2011
-Good Story (with no plot holes)
-Good Characters
-Excellent Art Style and animation
-Great music and sound effects
-A good ending
-Enjoy it a lot (at least most of the episodes)
Jun 28, 2013 4:25 PM

Nov 2011
I only give 10's to series that had a huge effect on me, gunslinger girl(manga), Saki(manga) and Ten(manga) are good examples of that.

9's for my top 7,5%~ favourites and 8's for my top 15%~ favourites.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jun 28, 2013 4:43 PM

Jun 2013
Character development
Im victoria's secret

Jun 28, 2013 4:47 PM

Apr 2011
It has to be artistic.
Jun 28, 2013 4:50 PM

Dec 2012
Must have really attractive girls.
Jun 28, 2013 4:52 PM

Feb 2013
If it makes me cry, laugh, feel frustrated or excited, everything over the episodes, if I had to watch a lot of episodes in a day because I can't stop, if I enjoy too much I can consider it as a masterpiece.

Jul 6, 2013 7:17 PM

Jul 2013
What are the most important aspects of an anime to make it a Masterpiece?

And which animes you consider to be one?

Its really hard for me to qualify an anime as a Masterpiece and in my list i only gave a 10 to very few animes.

Mostly for me to give it a 10 must be an anime which ill be sure to be remembered for a long time, like Pokemon, DragonBall or Hunter x Hunter
Jul 6, 2013 7:21 PM

Jun 2013
SAO! jkjk but Mirai Nikki :D
Jul 6, 2013 7:23 PM

Nov 2012
I dont really like the rating system, i tend to rate some anime much too high (more so when its fresh in my mind)
For a amine to be a masterpiece it must be memorable and make me want more with good rewatch value (i'm sure everyone has that anime that they rewatch every few years)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jul 6, 2013 7:24 PM

Apr 2011
I haven't rated any anime a 10. I would consider a masterpiece to be an anime that stands up to the best of Films. Honestly there's a few anime I think I probably consider to be at that level, but I just don't rate 10s for whatever reason. I think it is because I have hope I will stumble upon or something will be released that just blows everything else I've seen away and deserves that 10.
Jul 6, 2013 7:24 PM

Jan 2010
[Insert shameless Kino's Journey rambling]

[Insert rant about not being able to find anything wrong with Millennium Actress]

Alright, I'll at least talk about Memories, a movie of three 45 minutes shorts. Just watched it today and I'm still in the "deer in the headlights" state, where I just got hit by something and I'm not sure what. Very rarely does a show or an episode that runs less than an hour gets that from me. This thing did it three times in one go.

worldeditor11 said:
This tread is bound to be locked.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=625655

I can't believe it took that long for that topic to get locked. Figured it would had been killed by the 4th page.
ShockedJul 6, 2013 7:30 PM
Jul 6, 2013 7:25 PM

Apr 2011
no_good_name said:
I dont really like the rating system, i tend to rate some anime much too high (more so when its fresh in my mind)
For a amine to be a masterpiece it must be memorable and make me want more with good rewatch value (i'm sure everyone has that anime that they rewatch every few years)

I would much prefer a five star rating system. That's practically how everyone rates anyways using only the upper 5 ratings.
Jul 6, 2013 7:29 PM

Jun 2012
Something that keeps me on the edge of my seat until the last episode. Like Mirai Nikki. Or something that was just pulled off so well that it achieved everything it was going for. Characters and development are also important.

Also off personal enjoyment.
Jul 6, 2013 7:30 PM

Apr 2011
IceColdLemons said:

This made me laugh.
Jul 6, 2013 7:31 PM

Apr 2013
IceColdLemons said:
Still wondering which one the jkjk was intended for.. because Mirai Nikki wasnt good either.
Jul 6, 2013 7:32 PM

Jan 2013
yay, favourite anime thread. :3
< inserts fav anime >
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jul 6, 2013 7:32 PM

Nov 2012
Shocked said:

[Insert rant about not being able to find anything wrong with Millennium Actress]

Alright, I'll at least talk about Memories, a movie of three 45 minutes shorts. Just watched it today and I'm still in the "deer in the headlights" state, where I just got hit by something and I'm not sure what. Very rarely does a show or an episode that runs less than an hour gets that from me. This thing did it three times in one go.

Thanks buddy, memories looks good so i will now watch it.
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
no_good_name said:

I would much prefer a five star rating system. That's practically how everyone rates anyways using only the upper 5 ratings.

5 star would be better but ive honestly given up rating most of my viewed anime.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jul 6, 2013 7:34 PM

Dec 2012
no_good_name said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
no_good_name said:

5 star would be better but ive honestly given up rating most of my viewed anime.

The MAL rating system would honestly be fine if you were able to rate by 0.5.
Jul 6, 2013 7:41 PM

Jan 2010
no_good_name said:
Shocked said:

Thanks buddy, memories looks good so i will now watch it.

Good stuff, glad I could spread the word.
Jul 6, 2013 7:42 PM

Feb 2013
Just because I give an anime a 10 doesn't mean I consider it a 'masterpiece.'

I mainly rate based on how much I enjoyed a show, while still considering little things like plot and dialogue. The only way I can really consider a show a masterpiece is if it was exceptionally thought-provoking.

Just because I'm a Slayers fanatic doesn't mean I can't see it's flaws, that's why I can't call it a 'masterpiece.'

That said, the only ones I think I can give that honor to out of my whole list are Serial Experiments Lain and Now and Then, Here and There...and MAYBE Shinsekai Yori, but I've only watched it one time through, whereas the other two I've watched multiple times.

Also, this:

worldeditor11 said:
This tread is bound to be locked.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=625655
NTADJul 6, 2013 7:46 PM
Jul 6, 2013 7:45 PM

Nov 2011
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
no_good_name said:

Would be annoying to those who acteally use the whole scale.

Most people would just start giving only 5 stars to the anime they like.

Jul 6, 2013 8:09 PM

Feb 2012
I don't usually give rating to my favorites, but do I give rating of 4 and below to any shows that annoy me.
Jul 6, 2013 8:12 PM

Nov 2012
Plusme said:
I don't usually give rating to my favorites, but do I give rating of 4 and below to any shows that annoy me.

From memory i think ive only ever given out 1 rating that was below a 4.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jul 6, 2013 8:38 PM

Sep 2011
The feels man, the feels.
Jul 6, 2013 8:41 PM

Nov 2012
boku no pico, have you watch watched it already ? it's a masterpiece
that thread finally getting merged, I've posted in this one already, okay....
ranzeroJul 6, 2013 9:38 PM
Jul 6, 2013 8:44 PM

Jul 2013
FMA: Brotherhood
Jul 6, 2013 8:49 PM

Nov 2012
ranzero said:

That joke is getting really quite old, i think you need some new material.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jul 6, 2013 8:55 PM

Jul 2013
Story
Character development
Music
Feels lots and lots of feels!

Those are the main things I look for when watching anime.

Samurai Champloo being my number 1

[center]Currently Watching: Nothing/center]
Currently Playing: Alice: Madness Returns
Jul 6, 2013 8:57 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Merged
All masterpiece topics here~

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 6, 2013 8:59 PM

Aug 2009
have an amazing story
Jul 6, 2013 9:48 PM

Jul 2013
A 10, for me at least, does not mean the series or movie is perfect. Nothing is perfect. What it means is that the show had compelling characters, an interesting story, great art, a beautiful soundtrack, and most definitely has to have a proper good ending. But, hey, in my opinion, you don't really know it's a 10 until some time has passed.

If you think back on the anime and you can remember a lot about it and really still dig it, it's probably a ten. Some series might be good, but they fade away in time.
The problem with the world is that it's always one drink behind.
Jul 6, 2013 10:05 PM

Dec 2012
1. Story- Was it entertaining and well written?
2. Characters- Were they likable? Was there character development?
3. Emotional Impact- Did it make me laugh, cry, etc.
4. Technical Specs- Adequate animation quality, good music, etc.
5. The Ending- Did it have one? Was it fitting?

If the answers to all of those is "yes" then it's a 10.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 6, 2013 10:47 PM

Dec 2012
I didn't notice anything wrong with it.
Jul 6, 2013 11:02 PM

Oct 2012
I don't think I'd ever rate something as a 10 or perfect rating even anime I adore like Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop.
Jul 6, 2013 11:08 PM

Jan 2013
LOGH and Mushishi will probably be the only two anime I will ever give a 10/10. For Mushishi, it's because of its extremely original story, great main character, amazing animation and soundtrack, high rewatchability and very memorable in the end. For LOGH, it's because of its amazing cast of characters, exceptional story and worldbuilding, epic soundtrack, great ending and extremely memorable in the long run.
Jul 6, 2013 11:50 PM

Jun 2010
Pretty much has to be entertaining in every aspect.
Jul 7, 2013 2:48 AM
Mar 2013
Brilliant cast and character development - I need to feel really attached to them by the end.
A great flowing story - ENDING is really, REALLY IMPORTANT
Jul 7, 2013 7:53 AM

Nov 2011
no_good_name said:
ranzero said:

Its not a joke.

Jul 7, 2013 7:58 AM
Jul 2012
Well, for starters, it must have an original idea to it.
Jul 7, 2013 8:02 AM

Feb 2013
everything has to work together

morst important it has to have an amazing story
it must contain smh unique
good characters
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man
Jul 7, 2013 8:29 AM

Nov 2012
rederoin said:
no_good_name said:
ranzero said:

Its not a joke.

It is joke, you can not tell me that almost every animu fan enjoy seeing little boy blowing other little boy.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jul 7, 2013 8:30 AM

May 2013
I don't have a strict score system like man other idiots. If I enjoy it, I enjoy it.

For example: I gave SAO a 10. Why? Because I enjoyed it and nothing else I saw before it was similar.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 7, 2013 8:37 AM

Jun 2013
Ill give it a 10 if I say ''that was fuckin good" out loud after I finish it

Jul 7, 2013 8:46 AM
May 2013
I've read all the comments. It seems that to people, it's either technical aspects or connected to feelings/personal tastes, or both.
To me, the best way to answer is the idea of everlasting imprint. If it triggered something into you - related to your personal life, feelings, thoughts, wishes, desires, goals - then how close it is to what you're aiming to is what allows you to keep raising the score.. up to the end :=)
Jul 7, 2013 8:50 AM

Jun 2013
For me its the degree of enjoyment,irrespective of its genre or age.
Jul 7, 2013 8:53 AM

Mar 2013
If I enjoyed everything in it, but it didn't have romance I won't score it with max points.
I make exceptions for shows that are too awesome (for me).
"I believe in panties" ~ Shiina Mashiro
Jul 7, 2013 9:03 AM

Jul 2013
I've not watched too many but there have been a couple I've really enjoyed (Fairy Tail/Death Note) and Welcome to the NHK always has me thinking about it after watching so all those have 10s as my benchmarks.

If there is anything I like more than those 3 then it'll get a 10 and those 3 will be moved down to 9.
Jul 7, 2013 9:08 AM

Nov 2011
no_good_name said:
rederoin said:
no_good_name said:
ranzero said:

Its not a joke.

It is joke, you can not tell me that almost every animu fan enjoy seeing little boy blowing other little boy.

Some people think its a joke, but they haven't even seen boku no pico.

So I repeat, its not a joke. Boku no pico and its sequels are truly pieces of art. Anybody who disagrees has not actually seen the whole series.

Jul 7, 2013 9:09 AM

Nov 2012
rederoin said:
no_good_name said:
rederoin said:
no_good_name said:
ranzero said:

Its not a joke.

Some people think its a joke, but they haven't even seen boku no pico.

So I repeat, its not a joke. Boku no pico and its sequels are truly pieces of art. Anybody who disagrees has not actually seen the whole series.

That was a very gay thing to say and by gay i mean penis in mouth gay and not happy gay.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - 10 hours ago

22 by Piromysl »»
27 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - Today

47 by Piromysl »»
35 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

44 by Azuchi »»
37 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

177 by Adnash »»
40 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

37 by Ex-Aid »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.