Forum Settings
Forums

What does it take for an anime to get a high/perfect score or even be considered a masterpiece by you?

New
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]
Oct 14, 2013 12:12 PM

Apr 2011
Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I love the fuck out of it? Yes. Basically, those two questions are all that is necessary for me to give an anime a 10.
Oct 14, 2013 1:40 PM

Oct 2013
Not every aspect of the anime has to be perfect but the overall reaction and emotional response I get from it needs to be enough to outweigh any misgivings.
Take Cowboy Bebop, for example.
I gave that a 10/10. It may not be perfect. Edward is not the best anime character and appears to be a pretty flimsy one, in my mind, compared to the others. However, the impressive story line, brilliant concept and probably the best ending episode of all time just made it a masterpiece in my mind.
Not to mention, the music is absolutely outstanding!
The world’s not perfect, but it’s there for us trying the best it can. That’s what makes it so damn beautiful.
Roy Mustang (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Oct 14, 2013 1:53 PM

Oct 2013
To me an anime has to be a masterpiece by these 3 rules

1. Amazing storyline with no PLOT HOLES

2. Amazing set of characters that are well remembered and play their roles (Useless bitches not allowed)

3. An art style that I enjoy very much or even an art style that is different from the rest but is very good in it's own way

However finding a real 'masterpiece' of an anime is almost if not impossible. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE had different views and opinons on how anime should look, sound, and feel. Even if an anime is super popular and everyone loves it, it can still suck. For example Sword Art Online is really popular and people say its a masterpiece (ugh) and I think it's one of the worst animes I've ever seen imo. Plus Anime series always have their flaws wheater it's characters, plot, or anything else.

Samurai Champloo, Bleach, and Attack on Titan are great shows that I really like, but when it comes down to it, they have their goods and their bads.

Perhaps just maybe, I would consider FMA: Brotherhood a masterpiece. Great storyline, brillant characters, and the last few episodes were amazing, perhaps the only anime that gets better near the end!
Mr_HayabusaOct 14, 2013 1:57 PM
Oct 14, 2013 5:56 PM

Sep 2013
KaniowskiKun101 said:

Perhaps just maybe, I would consider FMA: Brotherhood a masterpiece. Great storyline, brillant characters, and the last few episodes were amazing, perhaps the only anime that gets better near the end!

Have you even seen the original? And FMAB is FAAAARRR from a masterpiece. I consider it's #1 spot to be overrated. It's awesome, but not #1.
y'all need to shut the fuck up.
Oct 14, 2013 6:01 PM

Oct 2013
jupiterrocks24 said:
KaniowskiKun101 said:

Have you even seen the original? And FMAB is FAAAARRR from a masterpiece. I consider it's #1 spot to be overrated. It's awesome, but not #1.

Sorry but as soon as I found out the first anime didn't follow the manga, I dropped that sucker
Oct 17, 2013 11:08 AM

Sep 2013
KaniowskiKun101 said:
jupiterrocks24 said:
KaniowskiKun101 said:

Sorry but as soon as I found out the first anime didn't follow the manga, I dropped that sucker

Why? It's still a good anime. Just because it didn't follow the manga doesn't make it bad. And it was the mangaka's request.
y'all need to shut the fuck up.
Oct 17, 2013 12:22 PM

Dec 2012
Quite simple really

1. Must be memorable, an anime that I'll always remember and will most likely leave a long lasting bittersweet feeling after its conclusion. It was awesome but it ended.

2. Must evoke emotions and make me relate with its characters.

3. Must have been really enjoyable (subjective)

And most importantly, it must possess those awesome moments that make you think "damn, this is amazing"

With those pointers in mind, it's really easy to recognize a masterpiece when you see one. You just know it.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Oct 17, 2013 12:52 PM

Aug 2013
Simple.

1. If I loved it.

2. If it makes me want to rewatch it over and over.

3. If it made me smile like a idiot throughout the whole show.

4. If I like the characters and art style.
"One does not simply say no to a loli with animal ears and tail."

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/iAmEcchi
Oct 19, 2013 4:50 AM

Dec 2012
Surprisingly only a few things for a 9 or 10.

First, I have to enjoy it a lot and it has to have an impact on me.

Second, the story must be great and nicely paced while making sense.

Third, the main characters must be good and have a lot of depth and development.

Finally, the music has to be at least good (for a 10).
"Relying on someone, helping each other out, and supporting each other. Most would say that's the right thing to do. However, that's just idealistic. In reality, someone always gets the short end of the stick"

http://p1.i.ntere.st/3b9596c6911c1c6844478fe7ace4e887_480.jpg

Oct 19, 2013 5:09 AM

Oct 2013
I honestly couldn't tell you why I gave Inferno Cop a 10/10

It's just one of those things you can't explain, first episode was all it took for me to fall in love with it.
Oct 20, 2013 5:36 AM
Oct 2013
1) Characters, characters, characters - must be well developed, not stereotypical, good interactions.
2) Enjoyable to watch
3) Originality (storyline, characters, setting, jokes, etc)
4) Art style
Oct 20, 2013 5:39 AM

Jul 2008
I got quite a lot of 10s and personal enjoyment is also a factor so some of my 10s could be just 8s for many :)
Oct 20, 2013 5:50 AM

Oct 2012
I personally don't give tens, the concept of there being no higher scores than that leave me with a dislike for that score. Anything regarded with that score would only invite refutation after refutation.

However the higher scores I've given are to those that are very well executed, objectively. So execution comes first and foremost. However if I said there weren't any preferential biases there to varying extents, I'd be lying.

I personally tend to like being able to thoroughly justify the scores I give if they're ever questioned.
Oct 22, 2013 9:24 PM

Apr 2013
Cowboy Bebop=Art
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Oct 22, 2013 9:31 PM
Oct 2010
1. EITHER a very good story, extremely enjoyable plot or very good characters. Having more than one of these helps alot!
2. Very good production values for its time (animation,ost, etc)
3. Minimal fanservice (unless KLK)
4. I am able to watch it more than once.
Oct 22, 2013 9:56 PM

Apr 2008
Have Gintama in the title
Music & Anime > Everything Else
Oct 23, 2013 1:19 AM

Jul 2013
It has to make me cry, I have to be engulfed in the world, I have to be confused with what to do when its over, it has to make me think, it has to portray values, it has to "change" the way I think about the real world.
"Okarin... Okarin... I don't know who that is, but when I say his name, I feel warm inside" - Mayuri "Mayushii" Shiina
Oct 31, 2013 4:16 PM

Jul 2013
Uniqueness and enjoyment.
Ka-pe / Roo-ra
Oct 31, 2013 4:53 PM
Aug 2013
there's no such thing as a perfect anime, you can try your hardest to argue but there's literally no way an anime can be truly perfect. if even the tiniest thing rubs you the wrong way, if even one line of dialogue feels out of place, it's considered imperfect.

as for them being masterpieces, i've only seen two anime that i could consider close to being masterpieces, and even then they had plenty of flaws. i laugh at the people who constantly rate anime they merely like a 10/10, either because they're very easy to please, or they have very lax ideas of what constitutes a "masterpiece". but then again, opinions and all that shit.

i'd say that in order to become a masterpiece, the anime's various parts would have to exceed those of other mediums. storytelling would have to be better than a book, music would have to be better than a concert, etc. of course, this means it's probably the second hardest type of medium to judge, the first being video games, since video games encompass all these methods of conveying a medium, with the added layer of choice and action.

so yeah, i doubt i'd find a masterpiece anytime soon, let alone a perfect anime. the idea of a perfect anything just sounds silly to me.
Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]

More topics from this board

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - 29 minutes ago

6 by mizukasa »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

26 by shiro-seishun »»
6 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9066 by SiliconDon »»
8 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

37 by Otakupervert890 »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 2 hours ago

10 by Ahiru89 »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.