Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 12, 2012 3:29 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
After overcoming the initial shock of the 3D animation style, I ended up really enjoying Asura.

The movie and its plot certainly feel fresh, and it was hard to know which way the story would turn next, but the overall story that was told was pretty powerful and emotional.

The 3D animation style did take a while to get used to, and it almost felt like watching the kind of animation that in-game cutscenes in Catherine or Valkyria Chronicles make use of, but I think it really did add to the gritty and dark nature of the film.
The combination of the 3D and the more traditional background was very well done, and as a visual experience neither looked out of place with the other.

I imagine that Asura will probably be a polarizing movie, as some people will be inclined to hate the animation style, and some of the more violent and disturbing scenes won't be to the tastes of everyone, but if you are curious about the movie, I'd highly recommend giving it a watch whenever you get the opportunity.

Mar 25, 2013 7:41 PM

May 2008
The one negative review I read really pissed me off because I really loved this film. I wrote one too now because I think it deserves much more attention. I can understand why some wouldn't like it, but bashing it is going overboard.
Mar 30, 2013 6:59 PM

Feb 2012
The 3D was a bit unusual but you get use to it pretty quick. Not a bad movie but it wasn't really the greatest. So at the end was the "Monk" reincarnated into another form? Or was that is son or something? That part threw me off a little bit lol.

Also after the end of the ED there was a top view of some street was there something in that I missed? I didn't really get the point to it lol.
Mar 30, 2013 11:07 PM

Mar 2010
What a very dark..yet beautiful anime.. Hard to put into words, but this movie was pretty good in its own way.
Mar 31, 2013 5:48 AM
Jun 2011
rly nice inded. only one wish. wanted to see more ;c
Mar 31, 2013 6:43 AM

Jun 2012
A Very stromg film, in more ways than one. A Strong message with a lot of tragedy and sad story. The animation is a hit and miss. Some action sequences look very good but the CG itself isn't aything remarkable. Something you would see in a normal episode of Kingdom.
Btw, I'm pretty certain that the monk at the end was Asura. There's no other explanation to it really.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Mar 31, 2013 9:46 AM

Apr 2007
Beautiful dark movie, great message. People should watch Asura regardless of the art style
Mar 31, 2013 11:57 AM

Aug 2012
I'm really starting to lose my faith in writers. I get the point here: "humans can become monsters, and monsters can redeem themselves," but I don't think this movie was the masterpiece they set out for.

I expected one of two things from this movie; either a 'good end' where Asura learned to be a good guy and everything was alright with his new mommy and daddy in the big city, or a 'bad end' where Asura went crazy and exterminated most of the village in a flurry of well-animated action sequences, but at least managed to dethrone the bad government.

What I got? Well I got a 'bad end' alright, with only a couple of action sequences. So few, in fact, that the trailer from this movie highlighted nearly all of them. There was no justice, or no reward for struggling. The movie just worked its way up to nothing.
Mar 31, 2013 12:41 PM

May 2008
It's because life isn't black and white. Sometimes there isn't a fairy tale ending. I like it when a book or a movie doesn't bull shit and come up with a "everyone is saved and the hero becomes king". Sometimes things do not turn out alright. I can see why some viewers would not like this, but you should do a little research before watching if you ask me. Medieval famines... what kind of ending would you expect?
Apr 1, 2013 2:40 AM

Jul 2009
After reading a description I found, this wasn't what I was really expecting.

Nonetheless ,rather interesting, since it dealt with man's inner beasts.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Apr 1, 2013 2:25 PM

Jan 2009
SquirrelLuvsPnut said:
The one negative review I read really pissed me off because I really loved this film. I wrote one too now because I think it deserves much more attention. I can understand why some wouldn't like it, but bashing it is going overboard.

I wouldn't say you had the best review or most in depth review. And the All 10's all across the board didn't help. It was a touching but demented story the only problem was the the ending message was lost and not as deep as it could have been.

A 7.5/10 for me.
Apr 2, 2013 12:28 AM

May 2012
I can sum up everything I thought about this in one very lackluster "Meh." I didn't like the art style at all, the characters didn't resonate with me and really just didn't feel like they were very well done, the story felt forced... yet it wasn't terrible. Hence, meh.
Apr 2, 2013 10:55 PM
Oct 2012
well this was bloody
the animation/style with the 3d characters didnt bother me at all, i found it to be really interesting
in the end i really enjoyed it
Apr 3, 2013 8:35 PM
Jun 2008
Expected it be a little better than this judging from the description and the artwork. Surprisingly, the whole CG didn't bother me at all as well. Still a good short movie to watch though.
Apr 4, 2013 12:07 AM

Dec 2007
you don't judge this anime by graphics and animation only story and plot, and I have to say it nailed it pretty well
Apr 6, 2013 1:45 AM

Dec 2007
Really enjoyed this one. Man vs Self is one of my favorite conflicts and this had that in spades. Really love that they didn't ham up anything like I anticipated them to. I was almost certain they were going to pull the 'beast becomes tame' card twice in the movie and yet both times they avoid it deftly. Bravo to the writers. A shame that this undoubtedly lost a ton of money. I hope those who worked on it can continue in their endeavors.
Apr 6, 2013 2:14 AM

Oct 2008
It was a pretty good movie and it had a solid message, though probably not very convincing, considering the terrible things that happen in this movie.
I had no problem with the CG, though the monk's lip movement looked kinda weird. And it was also kinda distracting to hear Goku and Ussop's voices in such a dark movie.. There should be a law against having familiar voice actors from kids shows in an anime such as this.
But I guess I'm just nitpicking, it's a pretty good movie overall.
Apr 6, 2013 9:44 AM

Feb 2011
1/5

This had to of been a joke.
Apr 8, 2013 3:29 PM

Jun 2008
Rexky said:
1/5

the only joke I found was ur comment tbh -_-;
Apr 10, 2013 12:27 AM

Dec 2007
Quite harsh, but thoroughly enjoyable. I liked the ending.
Apr 24, 2013 12:02 AM

Feb 2010
It's like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2013 2:11 AM

Jan 2012
Even though the animation pissed me off royal, it didn't ruin the watch. I really enjoyed the movie, plot was great.

Apr 24, 2013 5:00 PM

Jun 2011
it could have been better if the story was better written. the first part was really weak, but the end was good.
6/10, n im ignorin that shitty animation
Apr 29, 2013 9:08 PM
Apr 2012
AnimeKami said:
you don't judge this anime by graphics and animation only story and plot, and I have to say it nailed it pretty well

I can't say I agree with you there. The animation itself is sort of a big deal; they don't call it anime for nothing. All factors should be considered in judging something. While good animation cannot save a show that has a terrible plot, it can take a lot away from how enjoyable an otherwise good one could have been. What I'm saying is that animation works towards how good an anime is (or any animated show, for that matter) in the same way as voice actors/actresses and plot lines. It takes everything to make an animation outstanding.

Not that my point is to criticize Asura in this aspect. It was pretty decent even if it was stylistically different from what I'm used to; it's the quality of animation that counts.

That said, you certainly are quite redundant, aren't you?
May 19, 2013 3:03 PM

Oct 2012
Wow what a great movie it was a little short but really enjoyable
Jun 6, 2013 7:34 AM

Jun 2010
I really liked this movie but didn't really understand the message at the end... I thought it was supposed to be the opposite actually (?)
Jun 13, 2013 3:38 AM

Jan 2009
Wakasa died damn but Asura became a monk though in the end that is fitting with the idea of fighting your inner beast
Jun 18, 2013 8:58 PM

Aug 2012
I got the message and I thought the movie was great. The only problem for me was that I didn't understood the ending with the street after the ending theme and texts.
Jun 19, 2013 7:30 PM

Jan 2011
Nice movie. Certainly not the best, but it had a more unique art style (both the overall style aswell as the people - except Wanaka, the only beauty in the whole land apparently), the fights were nicely done, even if usually short, and the monk was probably the most badass guy in anime history.

Your usual anime hero might not twitch if the enemy cuts off his arm, but the monk did that casually just to prove his point. And he continued lecturing Asura as if nothing happend.

The ending, well, too bad it didn't turn out to them happily living ever after, but it was fitting, especially with Wakasas wish of one day going to the city with her boyfriend being fulfilled.

The lord wasn't that bad overall, either. Most lords in anime are wussies, he was not. He didn't treat his people that bad..except that he apparently had quite a lot of rice stockpile, being able to promise a whole years yield for killing Asura, while his people starve.
Jul 29, 2013 5:06 PM

Sep 2012
einaaarr said:
... didn't understood the ending with the street after the ending theme and texts.
Yeah, what was up with that? Sequel hook?
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Sep 28, 2013 4:06 AM

May 2012
11/10. A real masterpiece.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Oct 1, 2013 10:52 PM

Jan 2013
For me it was an okay movie but really not as good as I thought it would be because of the postitive reviews and comments. 7/10
Oct 11, 2013 8:38 PM

Feb 2012
Lol at those people who didn't like the movie on this discussion, clearly this people prefers Naruto or Comics stories and rate them 10/10 because it is where everyone is saved and everyone becomes cool at the end.

I just literally lost my faith in this community thinking you guys appreciate a much more unique story and style. Oh well this is the internet anyways, kids aged in 8-18 yrs old actually prefers Naturo or Bleach or any kind of never ending animes like or should I say "Common Plots".

Those who rated this movie lower than 9 might actually dislike FMA: Brotherhood (which is also a masterpiece).
Well couldn't expect more from kids who has low IQs and has a very low taste in stories. (ex: Naruto or Comics stories)

If I'll be psychological here those people who has a dark past or had a difficult childhood would really appreciate this movie therefore they connect more to Asura faster than your normal average viewer (guys who lived in peace, the guys who have rich parents and lived a normal life). The movie was targeted for those who had a dark past and this movie shows a person that he can live and go forward for whatever he faces in life. This show is not for rich kids who lived with a parent who earns a lot of money. Yes I'm talking to you guys out there who had never experienced a hard time growing up.

That's why you downvote this movie because why?.
Because YOU have never seen yourself in "ASURA".

You've never really connected with him because YOU don't know how it actually feel. The only knowledge you have is crying for not getting a car on your birthday.
See my point here kids for having a low IQ?, if not then congratulations you have a LOW IQ.

And if you hated my post, clearly you are guilty. So
As a final note to me for this kids: Go back to your room and enjoy watching your stupid shows you deeply love.
tokiyashiroOct 11, 2013 8:55 PM
Found this user profile on MAL once, I laughed my ass off once I saw his profile. Too bad he updated it now. Shame I got a screenshot of it. Best Favorite Anime list ever on MAL.

NotJizzyHitler's profile: http://i.imgur.com/yBOV24Z.png
Nov 5, 2013 2:59 AM

Oct 2010
Well that was fucking dark......I really liked it.
Nov 6, 2013 8:46 PM

Aug 2012
Just wow at the message .. just wow.

I shed a tear or two.
Dec 5, 2013 6:49 AM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
UnculturedWhitey said:
einaaarr said:
... didn't understood the ending with the street after the ending theme and texts.

I think the ending street scene was meant to show that, in time, peace and prosperity returned to the land. What do you think?
Dec 21, 2013 9:54 PM

Jun 2008
I'm shocked at the general dislike toward the visuals. I actually thought it was the best part about this movie, really enjoyed the designs and the mix between CGI and hand-drawn stuff.
Jan 12, 2014 8:07 AM

Apr 2009
This was difficult to watch for me especially the first part but somehow I managed to keep at it till the end because I was interested in what will happen to him. I was glad it was a good ending. 8/10

Anyway that wandering monk was just bad-ass!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 17, 2014 11:41 PM

Feb 2010
Chaospan said:
I'm really starting to lose my faith in writers. I get the point here: "humans can become monsters, and monsters can redeem themselves," but I don't think this movie was the masterpiece they set out for.

I expected one of two things from this movie; either a 'good end' where Asura learned to be a good guy and everything was alright with his new mommy and daddy in the big city, or a 'bad end' where Asura went crazy and exterminated most of the village in a flurry of well-animated action sequences, but at least managed to dethrone the bad government.

What I got? Well I got a 'bad end' alright, with only a couple of action sequences. So few, in fact, that the trailer from this movie highlighted nearly all of them. There was no justice, or no reward for struggling. The movie just worked its way up to nothing.

As you've lost faith in writers, I've lost faith in viewers. Hey there clearly unsatisfied person who is complaining because you didn't get your way, some endings are ambiguous and are meant to surprise people. Those endings you listed that you "expected" are the stereotypical endings authors can take to tie it up all nicely. Those are the kind of endings people like you expect, so is the author going to just give it to you?

These kind of endings make you think. It forces you to examine the film in its entirety and ponder about the themes.
Just because there isn't nearly enough "action" for your own satisfaction doesn't make it a movie that "worked its way up to nothing".

The scenes with few words, few action, and this element of stillness is what makes this movie alluring. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, nor am I praising it as the best movie I have ever seen, however it does deserve a certain amount of respect for its artistic achievements. No reward for struggling?

Why, Asura is no longer the beast he was in the beginning, is he not?
This entire film he was searching for himself,and in the end he became someone. There's your ending.
Jun 23, 2014 3:20 PM

May 2012
I'm definitely not a fan of the 3D CGI but the overall story and development wasn't all too bad, that priest was pretty bad ass but damn that ending :/ all in all it did make up for a pretty decent anime.
Sep 12, 2014 2:31 PM

Apr 2014
really loved this one
dark, but oh so good :)
Dec 23, 2014 12:36 PM

Jul 2014
Incredible movie, loved it, you have to get through the initial "wtf" for the animation and darkness and you'll really enjoy it.

Also that second ending song was amazing :,)
Jan 30, 2015 1:14 AM

Nov 2011
Rexky said:
1/5

Your grammar is a joke.

--------------------------------------------------------

This whole film was basically Guts before he grew into an adult.

In time, I'm sure I'll eventually develop an attachment to this movie. There were parts that were very touchy with morality, and parts that were pure goodness to the heart.
Apr 11, 2015 8:27 AM
Dec 2011
a classic brilliant masterpiece :3
May 14, 2015 11:04 PM

Sep 2014
graphical quality of the film is also excellent and can create some exciting, dramatic and fun times. Despite being a film with a strong theme and using a child as a primary weapon for the deaths, Asura is a great option for something different than we are accustomed. No superpowers, giant robots and magic, just a kid, an ax and a civil war. Focusing intensely on the protagonist's soul pain and his thirst for human flesh, the film manages to follow a very realistic line, presenting the facts that occur due to hunger and separation / difference between the rich and the poor, something we see very well in our daily lives.
10/10
Brazilian,24yo; —"Man propose, God dispose."
"
Jun 5, 2015 10:56 AM

Mar 2015
That was very cruel and made me quite uncomfortable at times.
Despite the terrible cgi for the characters,which helped the mc to appear even more inhuman,it was visually great imo,with some really beautiful scenary shots in contradiction to the dark story.
I'm not sure how I feel about this movie tbh,it was a bit too edgy for me,but it also had sense behind it...mhm.
Can't say I enjoyed it either but that's obviously not what the movie was going for.
Really I don't know what to think about this anime,maybe that's an accomplishment on it's own?
Felt like a backstory written for a character from Berserk or Texhnolyze...
Jul 30, 2015 9:08 PM
Jul 2011
Asura is one of the best anime films I've seen, and one of the most engaging redemption stories I've seen. The art style and animation is unique, definitely not like most other anime (but more like classical Japanese art with cel-shaded animation). And the plot and characterization is very dark and mature, dealing with themes that delve deep into the dark side of human nature, almost to the point of making audiences feel uncomfortable. The plot, characterization and script are all very well-written and well-paced. It's better than a lot of the anime in the MAL top 100, that's for sure. Asura is an underrated masterpiece.
Jagged_85Jul 30, 2015 9:56 PM
Sep 19, 2015 7:17 AM

May 2014
Well fuck. This is one of the best animated movies I have ever seen. The feels throughout the movie. Tragedy at it's finest.
I was expecting less because of the score and I'm glad that I was disappointed. Fuck what a good ride.
10/10.

BTW: What was that ending about? :o

Jym said:
UnculturedWhitey said:

[B]I think the ending street scene was meant to show that, in time, peace and prosperity returned to the land. What do you think?
[/B]

I'll take that as an answer.
KamSungSep 19, 2015 7:22 AM
Dec 11, 2015 8:17 AM

Jan 2013
Lol fuck this CGI shit
Aug 17, 2016 12:04 AM
Dec 2014
I thought the ending was he eventually made it to the city, or the village that Wakasa was from eventually flourished.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Preview

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2012

12 by Toysand1214 »»
Jan 29, 2021 5:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.