Forum Settings
Forums

Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - with madVR (v1.2) (Read note on first post)

New
Pages (28) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »
Sep 13, 2013 1:52 AM
Sep 2013
Niyawa said:
I use Windows 8.1 that doesn't have Aero thus making windowed related problem less likely to happen.

I'm on 8 already, no Aero.
Niyawa said:
Unfortunately it seems that unless you find a way to make your GPU exclusive to your MPC-HC when using it, that problem won't go away.

Like I said earlier, it seems my GPU/CPU/Memory/Graphics Memory usage is minimal, stuff is under-utilized. I'm pretty sure this isn't a contention issue. W/o any graphics tasks running (just a browser window, GPU-Z, and Task Manager), my GPU sits at 0-1% and NEVER goes above 2%. GPU memory usage is 240 MB/2 GB in this case, so I doubt anything is touching the GPU, like you suggested. I'll try FSE and see if the issues improve.

Edit: Yep. Unless I mess with MPC's interface, NO frames are dropped/delayed whatsoever.
hameer3Sep 13, 2013 2:00 AM
Sep 13, 2013 9:34 AM

Jan 2011
hameer3 said:
I'm on 8 already, no Aero.

You do? Ow. I thought it was Win7, sorry for my misunderstanding.

hameer3 said:
Yep. Unless I mess with MPC's interface, NO frames are dropped/delayed whatsoever.

Hm. I guess I do need to re-evaluate my view of FSE. It used to be so buggy, maybe we can do something with it now.
Sep 13, 2013 9:52 AM
Sep 2013
@ Niyawa:

The changing of re-clock which I mention in my previous post will make the video and audio out of sync.

However, I am confirming that for my system (i5 - 3470 - HD2500, 40 inch TV), can use Madvr "High" quality setting with no problem. You just need to make the hardware acceleration (Under LAV Video Property) to set to "None". I can play in "High" I can play movies (not anime) from 300 MB (1:30 min) to 24 GB (1:30 min), with no issue.

I also read somewhere that the best encoding is actually done by CPU, not by CUDA, Quicksync, or DXVA. However, if there is a consideration of efficiency (time vs. quality), then those other 3 are more preferred rather than using CPU. By the same token, logically best decoding also done by CPU - this last part just my 2 cents.

If I am not mistaken, rendering can't be done by CPU, thus it is dependent on the graphic card.

For Blu Ray > 8 GB, I can see the difference between High and Mid setting. However, there are some instances that for lower size files changing the quality from high to Mid setting might be better (I notice some sharper blocks on high setting and slight frame drop), but again these files are not original (downloaded from internet), so I can't draw any conclusion on the cause.
Sep 13, 2013 12:52 PM

Jan 2011
Charlesk74 said:
The changing of re-clock which I mention in my previous post will make the video and audio out of sync.

That was to be expected, thus I found interesting it had "fixed" your problem with stutter.

Charlesk74 said:
However, I am confirming that for my system (i5 - 3470 - HD2500, 40 inch TV), can use Madvr "High" quality setting with no problem. You just need to make the hardware acceleration (Under LAV Video Property) to set to "None".

DXVA is not recommended unless you need it for something like deinterlacing (which basically no anime has so). I only have it here in case someone out there likes to use GPU for everything, I've seen some folks like that.

Charlesk74 said:
I also read somewhere that the best encoding is actually done by CPU, not by CUDA, Quicksync, or DXVA. However, if there is a consideration of efficiency (time vs. quality), then those other 3 are more preferred rather than using CPU. By the same token, logically best decoding also done by CPU

Encoding done by the CPU is the one that gives the highest quality output, especially if only one core was used. Ain't nobody got time for that though so in some cases (especially if you're going to upload to YouTube) it's simply better to use CUDA shaders. Again, DXVA is not recommended unless you actually need/want it for something else. madVR's design doesn't go along with it.

Charlesk74 said:
If I am not mistaken, rendering can't be done by CPU, thus it is dependent on the graphic card.

madVR uses only GPU shaders for rendering, nothing else.

Charlesk74 said:
For Blu Ray > 8 GB, I can see the difference between High and Mid setting.

Well huh, the highest the quality of the file, the easier is to see differences between madVR and EVR-CP, but there are way too many other factors that goes into this. The quality of your monitor, the settings of your calibration in both the monitor and madVR, the settings of the algorithms, the environment of the room and especially a good trained eye. Some people notice it at first sight, others needs a few hours of playback before they grown accustomed to it. You shouldn't use any statistics nor your own view and opinion as accurate. Even screenshots lie.
Sep 13, 2013 8:04 PM
Sep 2013
Niyawa said:

Charlesk74 said:
However, I am confirming that for my system (i5 - 3470 - HD2500, 40 inch TV), can use Madvr "High" quality setting with no problem. You just need to make the hardware acceleration (Under LAV Video Property) to set to "None".

DXVA is not recommended unless you need it for something like deinterlacing (which basically no anime has so). I only have it here in case someone out there likes to use GPU for everything, I've seen some folks like that.

Errr (me . . . me . . . .me). . . I used to think like that. However, from this eercise, I notice that for low-end GPU, I need to give MadVr all resources available from the GPU, thus for lower-end of GPU, it MIGHT be better to suggest NOT to use hardware acceleration (again, I might be wrong here).

By the way, if I disable the hardware acceleration will it defaulting to DXVA? ( from your reply above)

Niyawa said:

Charlesk74 said:

madVR uses only GPU shaders for rendering, nothing else.

Thus it is also might be possible to use HD4000 for the "Highest" MadVr setting, by disabling hardware accelaration. . . If this is the case, then I should have spend the additional $ 30.00 last time to get the i5 3570K. . damn!!!

I did watch quite a number of movies (ISO ripped, Mkv, Mp4, Avi) yesterday, and compared (while watching) using MPC BE + MadVr V.S. WMP, noticeable diffrent of rendering quality at full screen. . . Happy with MPC-BE + MadVr
Sep 13, 2013 9:27 PM
Nov 2011
I have the following problem. The desktop (namely the borders of windows and contrasting wallpaper elements) are visible through the video in MPC. It happens both in windowed and fullscreen mode and is especially noticeable during darker scenes.
Is it abnormal? How do I fix it?
However, I do get a feeling that I don't understand something really basic here...
Sep 13, 2013 9:35 PM

Jan 2011
Charlesk74 said:
I notice that for low-end GPU, I need to give MadVr all resources available from the GPU, thus for lower-end of GPU, it MIGHT be better to suggest NOT to use hardware acceleration (again, I might be wrong here).

That will depend. If you have a low-end GPU with Intel + AMD/NVidia (or anything that is not full Intel) combination then you probably can't use "use a separate device for presentation", so a lower GPU queue will be necessary. I've heard this from madshi but I don't exactly remember how he put it so I'm not so sure either. What I do know is that if I don't enable that option, when I go beyond 6 queue, I get constant dropped frames.

Charlesk74 said:
By the way, if I disable the hardware acceleration will it defaulting to DXVA? ( from your reply above)

You just blew my mind. Hardware Acceleration is DXVA so I'm not sure what you're asking. If you want to know the option in LAV will go back to DXVA after you've set sit to "None"? No. It's the one you set for a lifetime, unless you change it yourself again nothing will change it.

Charlesk74 said:
Thus it is also might be possible to use HD4000 for the "Highest" MadVr setting, by disabling hardware accelaration. . . If this is the case, then I should have spend the additional $ 30.00 last time to get the i5 3570K. . damn!!!

Yes it's possible. I do know of some people who uses Highest with HD4000 without problems. However that's only possible with optimization so I'm not sure which settings goes for them. madshi does have an 4000 apparently, but I've never gone my away to ask him about it.

Charlesk74 said:
I did watch quite a number of movies (ISO ripped, Mkv, Mp4, Avi) yesterday, and compared (while watching) using MPC BE + MadVr V.S. WMP, noticeable diffrent of rendering quality at full screen. . . Happy with MPC-BE + MadVr

Good to know.

Arordael said:
I have the following problem. The desktop (namely the borders of windows and contrasting wallpaper elements) are visible through the video in MPC. It happens both in windowed and fullscreen mode and is especially noticeable during darker scenes.
However, I do get a feeling that I don't understand something really basic here...

Sorry, I'm not sure I get what you mean with that... a screenie would help?
Sep 14, 2013 5:32 AM
Nov 2011
Niyawa said:

Arordael said:

Sorry, I'm not sure I get what you mean with that... a screenie would help?

Well, here is a screenshot of an 'empty' fullscreen in MP Classic:
http://dobrochan.com/src/png/1309/1-16.png
The borders of desktop elements are visible. (They really are if you adjust your eyes).
Here is the contrast-tweaked version of the first screenshot. It wasn't done by me, but clearly indicates that the desktop is indeed visible through the video.
http://dobrochan.com/src/png/1309/1-17.png
This effect is taking place ONLY in MP Classic.
I've tried tweaking madVR's rendering in different ways, but nothing helped and the effect still remains.
It seems as if the picture is somehow translucent, but I can't find the corresponding options.

UPDATE: Enabling exclusive fullscreen actually helped. When switching to it the background becomes opaque. However the question still stays: why is it translucent in windowed mode?
iyashi_kSep 14, 2013 6:23 AM
Sep 14, 2013 9:31 AM

Jan 2011
Arordael said:
Enabling exclusive fullscreen actually helped. When switching to it the background becomes opaque. However the question still stays: why is it translucent in windowed mode?

I can't see those screenshots, I get 403 error. The website you used uses bandwidth saving tactics, try imgur.com instead.

Also, I kinda of more get what you mean that but I've never seen anything like it. I'll try a search in madVR forum and see if I can find anything related to it. What I do know though is that if the problem only happens with windowed mode, then it's likely Aero's fault (if you're using Win7). In that case it could be too many factors, from drivers to bugs in MPC classic, did you tried BE?
Sep 14, 2013 10:43 AM
Nov 2011
Niyawa said:

I can't see those screenshots, I get 403 error. The website you used uses bandwidth saving tactics, try imgur.com instead.

Okay.
http://i.imgur.com/bzw1G8e.png - the first one. As it looks in windowed mode or non-exclusive fullscreen.
http://i.imgur.com/NzjK9P2.jpg - the same screenshot with contrast settings changed.
http://i.imgur.com/iQ0MAya.jpg - a new one I've just made. Again, the background is translucent (barely, but it is still bothersome when the eyes are adjusted to the dark).

Niyawa said:

Also, I kinda of more get what you mean that but I've never seen anything like it. I'll try a search in madVR forum and see if I can find anything related to it. What I do know though is that if the problem only happens with windowed mode, then it's likely Aero's fault (if you're using Win7).

I'm using Win8, but yeah, I have Aero running as a separate process. Tried disabling it, but it didn't help.

Niyawa said:

In that case it could be too many factors, from drivers to bugs in MPC classic, did you tried BE?

I'm using the newest KCP tweaked according to your guide.

And one more thing: strangely enough, Google gives nothing about this problem, so I guess the solution should somehow appear to be ridiculously obvious.

-----

UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED
Yep, it really was Aero. Appears I simply had to reboot the PC after disabling it.
Thanks anyway, Niyawa, for pointing out the culprit in Aero.

PS: your guide rocks :3
iyashi_kSep 14, 2013 12:25 PM
Sep 14, 2013 4:53 PM

Jan 2011
Arordael said:
Yep, it really was Aero. Appears I simply had to reboot the PC after disabling it.
Thanks anyway, Niyawa, for pointing out the culprit in Aero.

Yup, I knew the moment I saw the screenshot with the custom theme, when you mentioned Windows 8 it was obvious that "winaero" was the culprit. It's basically alpha so you can expect nasty bugs from it.

Arordael said:
PS: your guide rocks :3

Aw, thanks. I noticed you use Taiga so kudos for that. Still getting used to it here (torrent filters kinda of a pain) but very good overall.
Sep 14, 2013 6:47 PM
Nov 2011
Niyawa said:
It's basically alpha so you can expect nasty bugs from it.

However, it does look too nice to just forget about it. So I decided to stick with exclusive fullscreen in my MPC for now. Anyway, it seems like for some reason smooth motion is working a bit better with exclusive fullscreen on (if it's not me imagining it, lol).

Niyawa said:
I noticed you use Taiga so kudos for that. Still getting used to it here (torrent filters kinda of a pain) but very good overall.

Yeah, I was really surprised with this utility. There are indeed some bugs with filters and recognition, but nothing major noticed by me yet.
Sep 20, 2013 7:46 AM
Sep 2013
Niyawa said:
Hm. I guess I do need to re-evaluate my view of FSE. It used to be so buggy, maybe we can do something with it now.

It IS buggy. Every time I interact using MPC-HC controls, it flickers black for a fraction of a second and drops a few frames (2-4).

Edit: Confession: I had installed KLCP and configured it EXACTLY according to your guide. I uninstalled everything, followed your guide to the letter, no difference in performance was detected. Same number of dropped frames.
hameer3Sep 20, 2013 8:44 AM
Sep 24, 2013 8:35 PM

Jan 2011
kuuurt said:
'Sup, OP. I come here again for another question. Is there an option to automatically change madVR settings when playing 1080p? I get sudden dropped/delayed framerates when watching 1080p, but not on 720p using my usual settings.

Unfortunately, yes. There's no way to change the settings automatically and madshi has other priorities at this point. Using a lower preset/tuned configuration that is acceptable for all playback types is the only solution if you feel so inclined.

Also, are you watching 1080p on a 768px screen or is that just the screenshot? Upscaling 720p > 768 with High preset or more might give you much better results than downscaling with 1080p which is extremely hard on your machine with no actual gains in for most of the time. See for yourself though.
Sep 25, 2013 2:01 AM
Sep 2013
Hey, Niyawa. I just wanted to ask, is there a way one of the counters is flawed? My Clock Deviation is constant for MINUTES on end, doesn't vary AT ALL. Yet, a frame drops every few seconds. Is that normal?
Sep 25, 2013 11:41 AM

Jan 2011
hameer3 said:
Hey, Niyawa. I just wanted to ask, is there a way one of the counters is flawed? My Clock Deviation is constant for MINUTES on end, doesn't vary AT ALL. Yet, a frame drops every few seconds. Is that normal?

Not sure, it will depend on the fps of your content and the Hz of your display. For reference, I have a 60 hz display and 23fps content with ReClock gives me a deviation of 0.2%.
Sep 27, 2013 10:27 AM
Aug 2013
Hi, quick question. In Lav Audio settings, there's an "Output Formats" section. Should all the boxes be ticked for best quality?
Sep 27, 2013 5:45 PM

Jan 2011
Update #1 - No one knows one that knows nothing

Ugh, my apologies for this entrance, however this is the first update of a weekly one that I've decided to make to not let the lurkers bored with so not many updates so better not have a boring entrance as well.

As you'll are aware, there's basically nothing to update at this point, but not only that, I can't update even if it had. MAL still has bbcode disabled for most tags which means that the moment I update that guide, everything will be quite messy...

I have no idea when things will come back to normal, and I don't feel confident it will be any soon, but enough about that. nev (LAV's developer) is on vacation for about 2-3 weeks, which means that this is the perfect time for me to take a 'lil vacation as well. I will use that time to update those animes that are screaming for updates and now that I've restored most of what I lost with my hard drive failure, I'm good to go!... I think so at least.

Yes YES! I still have to reply to few comments in my profile, I'm sure some people even forgot that I exist at this point.

Happy weekend for all you folks.

derpyQ said:
Hi, quick question. In Lav Audio settings, there's an "Output Formats" section. Should all the boxes be ticked for best quality?

That will depend on your setting and monitor/TV you're using. I don't remember the details but the ones that do not come ticked by default will likely not make much difference for most of us.
Sep 27, 2013 9:00 PM
Aug 2013
At the moment I've disabled 32-bit Integer and 32-bit Floating Point... without really knowing what they are, just because my sound card (Creative ZXR) is set to output 24-bit audio. That's the highest I can set it, and I've not even heard of 32-bit audio, but then I may just be really confused about all this stuff (I am :p).

Should I enable 32-bit Integer and 32-bit Floating Point again?
derpyQSep 27, 2013 9:22 PM
Sep 28, 2013 2:35 PM

Jan 2011
derpyQ said:
Should I enable 32-bit Integer and 32-bit Floating Point again?

If you don't use WASAPI then it doesn't matter, as DirectSound always output everything in 24-bit/48hz AFAIK.
Sep 28, 2013 4:00 PM
Aug 2013
I think I'm going to disable them then. Thanks very much.
Sep 28, 2013 10:28 PM

Jul 2008
If I want to update KCP, do I uninstall and reinstall it or just reinstall over the old version?
Sep 29, 2013 7:04 AM

Jan 2011
Lang said:
If I want to update KCP, do I uninstall and reinstall it or just reinstall over the old version?

Just reinstall it over. Soon enough you'll be able to keep your settings so don't forget to backup MPC-HC keys/config and whatnot.
Oct 7, 2013 6:27 AM
Sep 2013
Hey, Niyawa. Quick update - The other queues stay full always, but the backbuffer queue empties at the frame drop/delay. No frames are dropped or delayed at the start (which is weird enough in itself).

There was this one time I was able to achieve a 0/0 for over an hour and a half on a 720p upscaled to 1080p... This was with scanning and play/pause. But it was one time only, and subsequent tests with the same video yield varying results. That time, I killed off some non-driver background processes. I can't seem to single out the process causing it. I'll report back as soon as I find it.

I was using MSI AfterBurner that time to record my GPU usage, to see if it spikes or drops during a frame drop. Funnily enough, it was quite smooth.

I also went into nVidia Control Panel and changed all MPC-HC and madVR executables to a power profile of High Performance from Adaptive... Without any effect on the number of dropped frames.

I'll keep testing, let you know what comes of it.

EDIT: Funnily enough, it was the changing backgrounds. I tested on another user account, which doesn't have them.

Now, the focus shifts from drops to delays and from the backbuffer queue to the render queue. Doesn't go to zero, but reduces by 1 moments after a delay, and only then.

I locked my GPU to the highest frequency. GPU usage ~4% to ~5% constant (it was higher earlier because of a low clock frequency). No spikes or dips during delays.
hameer3Oct 7, 2013 7:07 AM
Oct 7, 2013 10:08 AM

Jan 2011
hameer3 said:
Now, the focus shifts from drops to delays and from the backbuffer queue to the render queue. Doesn't go to zero, but reduces by 1 moments after a delay, and only then.

I locked my GPU to the highest frequency. GPU usage ~4% to ~5% constant (it was higher earlier because of a low clock frequency). No spikes or dips during delays.

Sooo... desktop is the culprit? Ugh. Just, wow. I need to ask madshi about this, not sure how changing backgrounds would affect video playback. It probably has something to do with windowed issues as always, too bad we don't have a "exclusive windowed mode".
Oct 7, 2013 7:58 PM
Sep 2013
Niyawa said:
Sooo... desktop is the culprit? Ugh. Just, wow. I need to ask madshi about this, not sure how changing backgrounds would affect video playback. It probably has something to do with windowed issues as always, too bad we don't have a "exclusive windowed mode".

It was the fading backgrounds. I had 99 fading backgrounds on shuffle every 10 seconds. They caused GPU usage to go to ~40% on the lowest frequency. On the highest, barely made a ~2% dent.
Oct 10, 2013 10:37 PM

Jan 2011
Update #2 - Why Yotsuba! is so cool, so goddamn cool

So I was going to make an update last Friday but I didn't really have much to talk about so I postponed it for well, today.

Some of you may be aware, Xinil onii-chan restored some of our beloved bbcode tags, but [img] still has yet to come back so I still can't update my guide without screwing up things... meaning that if you're dying to see what I have to offer, prepare your will.

Also, I had to give up in my plans to update those anime shows I've been dying to update cause life is horrible and man... ArGhH-!

Back on topic, I will start to prepare my update to 1.3 and then start working on 1.4 soon afterwards. If my intuition is right, about version 1.6 we'll have a full hardware-like feature support to help people customize their algorithms settings. No it's not like a database or something though seidweise did give me a good hope for KCP in that aspect.

I've taken an enormous liking to drawing these days... it's quite fun. Not sure if I should keep learning to code or drawing now, maybe both, what do you guys think?

Anyway, that is all for now, thanks for taking your time reading and I hope you have a fantastic day.
NiyawaOct 10, 2013 10:43 PM
Oct 17, 2013 3:13 AM
Jul 2013
Hi :)

Thanks for the awesome guide! :D I have followed your guide to the letter. Man, 8bit/10bit anime videos look damn pretty now :D

I would like to ask a quick question :)

Is it really BAAAAAD if I get a few random frame drops (like at most 20 in total at the end) during constant playback of a 720p 10-bit video? It doesn't lag at all.

My PC specs:

Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHZ (Overclocked to 2.8GHz - 100% stable)

EVGA GTS 450 1GB DDR5 Superclocked edition (Not overclocked)

2 x 1 GB DDR2 800 RAM

Windows 7 (Updated to SP2)

Native resolution: 1680x1050 - 60Hz

Codecs/Renderers installed:

LAV filters, XySubfilter, madVR, reclocker and mpc-hc

My madVR settings (relevant):

Scaling Algorithms (default):

Chroma upscaling: Bicubic 75 AR
Image upscaling: Lanczos 3 taps AR
Image downscaling: Catmull-Rom AR

I have tried the lowest possible configuration (Bilinear chroma/Bilinear image up/down scalings) but it didn't really help prevent a single frame drop when playing a 720p 10bit anime video :(

General settings:

Everything is disabled except 'use a separate device for presentation'
CPU queue size: 16
GPU queue size: 12

Windowed mode settings:

Backbuffers - 8
Flush/Flush & wait (sleep)/flush/flush

exclusive mode settings:

4 video frames shall be presented in advance
flush/flush & wait (sleep)
flush
flush

Smooth motion:

SM FRC is enabled
Only if there would be motion judder without it

Here's the imageshack link to my screenshot of madVR stats (GPU load maxxed at around 20% during fullscreen playback of this 500mb 720p 10bit anime video - source: encoded from BDRip):

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/713/6hhl.jpg (1680x1050 res size)

Thanks in advance :)
Oct 17, 2013 5:50 AM

Oct 2011
to IllusiveSpectre: yr. always gonna get some frame drops, no matter how high-end the system, especially at the end and beginning (and any skipping forward, back, etc.) - this is totally normal - most important thing is what yr. eyes tell you: i.e. - no judder, hesitation, pixelation, etc...ever try running a custom resolution on yr. monitor @ 72hz (via nvidia control panel) - most monitors can handle (in my experience) a small amount of overclock on their refresh rate (although its' always done at yr. own risk)? i did this and it worked wonders for less frame drops, judder, etc., as a refresh rate which is multiple of frames per second of media file works best (most anime being 24 fps) - that way reclock can sync the media to yr. monitors refresh rate perfectly........good luck! also, ever try out mpc-be? i find it to be much more user-friendly and stable the mpc-hc (which is, of course, great in its' own right) - i usually use that or potplayer as my main media players.....
octal9Oct 17, 2013 5:55 AM
Oct 17, 2013 6:59 AM
Jul 2013
octal9 said:
to IllusiveSpectre: yr. always gonna get some frame drops, no matter how high-end the system, especially at the end and beginning (and any skipping forward, back, etc.) - this is totally normal - most important thing is what yr. eyes tell you: i.e. - no judder, hesitation, pixelation, etc...ever try running a custom resolution on yr. monitor @ 72hz (via nvidia control panel) - most monitors can handle (in my experience) a small amount of overclock on their refresh rate (although its' always done at yr. own risk)? i did this and it worked wonders for less frame drops, judder, etc., as a refresh rate which is multiple of frames per second of media file works best (most anime being 24 fps) - that way reclock can sync the media to yr. monitors refresh rate perfectly........good luck! also, ever try out mpc-be? i find it to be much more user-friendly and stable the mpc-hc (which is, of course, great in its' own right) - i usually use that or potplayer as my main media players.....

So it's normal :D But I still don't know WHY it bothers me :( it's like seeing a long strand of hair inside your double cheeseburger :( Oh, I sometimes get a frame drop in the middle (Anime only) but I haven't experienced any lag when watching 720p/1080p video so far.

Erm, I don't have guts to overclock my 22 inch LCD monitor.

I will try mpc-be now :)

Thanks a lot :D
Oct 20, 2013 9:01 AM
Oct 2013
Thanks for the guide!

I was trying out different settings to reduce my rendering/present time as I was unable to reproduce a <1 ms average present time as shown in your OSD screenshot, and I found that by checking "enable windowed overlay" my present time went from 6-7ms to 0.06 ms!

With smooth motion on, everything unchecked in the "quality over performance" tab, and playing a high quality test file (h264 10bit, 1080p, 10000 kbps video), my render time averages 16-18 ms when upscaled to 2560x1440 with Jinc (3 taps, AR filter) chroma/image scaling. If I uncheck "use a separate device for presentation" the render time jumps to 25 ms. At what point does the render time start to become an issue? Should I lower some settings so that the render time doesn't ever go above the vsync interval of 16.67 ms, or does that not make a difference? If I drop to Lanczos it shaves off 5 ms, but I'd prefer to run everything at maximum quality.

Versus VLC using the OpenGL renderer (which I had been using previously), there is a discernible quality increase when upscaling 480p files -- but not so much on 720p and 1080p. However, by far the most obvious difference is that judder/screen tearing is significantly reduced, and that's what makes it so that I can't go back!
Oct 20, 2013 6:46 PM

Jun 2009
You're probably going to need to do another update Niyawa. There shouldn't be much of a problem now that the BBCode is back up. MPC-HC Nightly has had quite a few changes, one of which revolves around internal filters. I see there is no note in your guide about disabling all of them, some people might be confused. Also, the more advanced users might like it if you could go more in-depth about the settings (especially in madVR).
Oct 20, 2013 7:11 PM

Oct 2011
Tyestor said:
You're probably going to need to do another update Niyawa. There shouldn't be much of a problem now that the BBCode is back up. MPC-HC Nightly has had quite a few changes, one of which revolves around internal filters. I see there is no note in your guide about disabling all of them, some people might be confused. Also, the more advanced users might like it if you could go more in-depth about the settings (especially in madVR).
another interesting change in mpc-hc is there is a test build out now where you can use XySubFilter on the evr-cp and vmr-9 renderers as well as madvr (if yr. one of those poor saps who can't use madvr due to decrepit gpu, thankfully not me). here's a link to the test build, which i have tried out and works great (finally no more low resolution subs!):
https://github.com/mpc-hc/mpc-hc/pull/114
octal9Oct 20, 2013 7:16 PM
Oct 21, 2013 5:07 AM

Jan 2011
Soulthus said:
The rendering time should always be lower than the movie frame interval, or else you get dropped frames. As for the vsync interval, I don't think there's any discernible difference whether the rendering time is above or below it.

VSync interval only matters if you're using smooth motion because that can degrade/increase performance of it depending on how many ms in general it takes to render one frame. I haven't confirmed this though, since even at 41ms smooth motion still is smooth.

As for overlay... for whatever reason I get a error when I try to use it (direct3d error 8876017c). Not sure why it happens but a search on madVR forums never gave me any results and I still haven't bothered to ask about it.

Tyestor said:

Not happening yet. [img] tag is still down which means that the moment I update all images will be gone (that would be bad, read my first update last page). MPC implementing LAV doesn't matter too much but I've been thinking about ditching external LAV indeed. KCP uses it because of compatibility but this guide is solely focused on MPC so it shouldn't be a problem, but at that point I'd have to implement something to tell BE users that they will need external LAV.

I've said countless times I want to go more in-depth with madVR but it's extremely hard to do so. It was a pain to make preset settings based solely on GPUs bandwidth capacity and shaders speed imagine what's going to be like when you try to tell users what options they should use on a detailed scale. madVR is yet to achieve version 1.0 (which should be rock stable and long-term support) so it's somewhat useless to try and do something of such range right now.

A very good example is another guide which I don't have the link at the moment that tried doing the same thing but never updated it anymore because madVR is constantly changing settings, features etc. I might try and look into what I can extend the support for, but won't guarantee anything. You can give me some tips of where you specifically believe we could improve upon though.

octal9 said:
another interesting change in mpc-hc is there is a test build out now where you can use XySubFilter on the evr-cp and vmr-9 renderers as well as madvr (if yr. one of those poor saps who can't use madvr due to decrepit gpu, thankfully not me). here's a link to the test build, which i have tried out and works great (finally no more low resolution subs!):
https://github.com/mpc-hc/mpc-hc/pull/114

Didn't know about that. I was testing madVR's new debanding feature and forgot about everything else. Thanks. I still will remove EVR-CP support in 2.0 though. Any relatively new PC should be able to play madVR at 1080p with lowest preset and some tuning.
NiyawaOct 21, 2013 5:11 AM
Oct 21, 2013 7:37 AM

Oct 2011
new debanding feature in madvr is truly amazing already...once it gets past the testing stage i will definitely be using it (it does wonders for many of the older encodes out there) - madshi is a true genius! to anyone interested in the madvr test-build with debanding its' available here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228&page=1023 under posting #20449.....enjoy!
octal9Oct 21, 2013 7:46 AM
Oct 25, 2013 10:29 AM

Jan 2011
Update #3 - Fix the img bbcode already MAL

Not much to say on this update aside from one thing. I will update my Windows from Core to Enterprise so I won't be here for a good 2-3 days while updating things and setting up everything.

Yeaaaahhh...

Happy weekend folks.
Oct 26, 2013 4:55 PM
Dec 2007
After some madVR tweaking, managed to get it to play entire episodes with zero frames dropped or delayed as recorded on the OSD.
roninmediaOct 26, 2013 7:13 PM
Oct 28, 2013 11:22 AM
Apr 2009
I followed this guide in May, so that was a few months ago. Is there any good reason to upgrade to the latest apps like madVR etc?

Thank you kindly
Oct 28, 2013 12:47 PM

Jan 2011
spleenpoker said:
I followed this guide in May, so that was a few months ago. Is there any good reason to upgrade to the latest apps like madVR etc?

Not really. But it's always good to have the latest version.
Nov 2, 2013 9:55 PM
Nov 2013
Hi Niyawa,

I'm a new user of MPC-HC, and am following your guide through. I seem to have done everything except the LAV filter part (I used the internal LAV filter in MPC-HC 1.7 instead). However, in the last confirmation step, I didn't see "XySubFilter (Connected with madVR, None)". Instead, I saw "DirectVobSub (auto-loading version)". Does it mean that XySubFilter wasn't used in my playback? If yes, could you figure out why? Thanks!
Nov 2, 2013 11:37 PM

Jan 2011
elarry said:
However, in the last confirmation step, I didn't see "XySubFilter (Connected with madVR, None)". Instead, I saw "DirectVobSub (auto-loading version)". Does it mean that XySubFilter wasn't used in my playback? If yes, could you figure out why? Thanks!

There's 2 possible scenarios here:

1. You installed xy-VSFilter instead (it shows up as DirectVobSub iirc, might be wrong here).
2. You forgot the step to disable "Auto-load subtitles" in Step 3.1

I believe it's 2, so check that out.
Nov 3, 2013 10:15 AM
Nov 2013
Thanks Niyawa,

You're SOOOOOOO right!! I was pretty sure that it wasn't 2 because I had double-checked that during set-up. It was actually 1 that caused this problem. I clicked on your link and went to the xy-vsfilter download page and saw the xy-vsfilter at my first glance, so just downloaded it - I didn't notice the difference in the file names, not even when you mentioned it in your reply! ;-P

At a slightly more careful look I saw that XySubFilter was listed under the "Preview Release" section. Does it mean that it's the next version of xy-vsfilter?

Many thanks again!
Nov 3, 2013 11:43 AM

Jan 2011
elarry said:
At a slightly more careful look I saw that XySubFilter was listed under the "Preview Release" section. Does it mean that it's the next version of xy-vsfilter?

Yes. It's the beta version that includes the many features we love. I put the link to the downloads page because this way you'll still download the latest version without me needing to update it every time, that can backfire I guess.
Nov 4, 2013 5:54 PM

Nov 2012
Thanks! this really helped me I was able to get really smooth playback and also higher quality subtitles with the xy-vsfilter. But I have a question are those settings you posted for madVR the only ones, like are their like other combinations in the scaling algorithms I can use that will get me higher quality?
Nov 5, 2013 9:38 AM

Jan 2011
jayvon said:
But I have a question are those settings you posted for madVR the only ones, like are their like other combinations in the scaling algorithms I can use that will get me higher quality?

That's hard to say. Depending on what your goal is, there might be, or not. The current presets I've created are based on image accuracy and general playback. madVR has a little chart on it's own that tells you the sharpness, ringing, etc so you might want to look at what preset does with each of them so get a config that fits your tastes and needs.
Nov 9, 2013 8:35 PM
Nov 2013
Hi guys,

One quick question before I get a new notebook. Is Iris Pro 5200 fast enough to run madVR at high/highest setting? My 2 options are now i7-4700MQ + 760M/770M or i7-4750HQ with Iris Pro 5200 but I'm leaning toward the Iris for the battery life + heat issue. I'd really appreciate it if anyone with the experience can chip in some input.

Thanks,
Nov 10, 2013 11:48 PM

Jan 2011
booboowest999 said:
One quick question before I get a new notebook. Is Iris Pro 5200 fast enough to run madVR at high/highest setting? My 2 options are now i7-4700MQ + 760M/770M or i7-4750HQ with Iris Pro 5200 but I'm leaning toward the Iris for the battery life + heat issue. I'd really appreciate it if anyone with the experience can chip in some input.

It should go Highest. I can at least guarantee it will go High without problems.
Nov 12, 2013 12:20 AM
Nov 2013
thanks, Niyawa. if it does high then i guess that's good enough considering it gets much longer battery life. cheers!
Nov 22, 2013 4:18 AM

Mar 2013
I'm dropping 5-10% (usually more towards the 5% end) of frames when upscaling 720p 10bit video to 1080p with an gtx650m

I have a feeling my laptop's using the integrated graphics, but I don't have optimus so I'm not really sure what to do. Unless this frame loss is acceptable for 2.7GHz sandybridge/650m?

edit: err it's not just upscaling actually, it's losing around 7% for 1080 source
petchNov 22, 2013 4:24 AM
Nov 22, 2013 5:29 AM

Jan 2011
petch said:
edit: err it's not just upscaling actually, it's losing around 7% for 1080 source

In no way that frame loss is acceptable. What preset are you using? A 650M is not as powerful as the desktop version, which means that if you're using Highest preset, it will drop. I'd recommend Mid or High if you're stretching it.

The only way to tell which GPU is being used is to look at GPU activity. If your 650M is active and running when playing a video, then it's likely that's the one being used.
Pages (28) « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 20 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - Apr 19

6 by KenaiPhoenix »»
4 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

52 by goodtasty »»
5 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3506 by goodtasty »»
5 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

8 by Astachanna »»
6 hours ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

12 by _untitled »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.