Forum Settings
Forums

Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - with madVR (v1.2) (Read note on first post)

Pages (28) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Dec 13, 2012 2:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 3121
madFLAC is only good if you have a good sound system. Which I don't :D
 
Dec 13, 2012 3:04 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 15
Ok thanks.

I mostly watch non-anime blu ray quality movies on my PC.

I think I'll stick with your guide as it seems the most recently updated guide.
 
Dec 13, 2012 4:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
HauntingShock said:
madFLAC is only good if you have a good sound system. Which I don't :D

I believe the only difference between madFlac and the flac decoder of LAV (which is improved upon ffdshow btw) is that madFlac reads metadata better, but that's not something that makes any real difference in performance/quality which is the main point of this guide.

maguss said:
I think I'll stick with your guide as it seems the most recently updated guide.

Thanks, if you need help with anything, I'm always here.
 
Dec 13, 2012 5:22 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
I was using LAV audio with Jan Willems MPC.
Discovered that the audio works if I drag everything
that's inside the Blu ray rip folder (.bdmv, .clpi. .mpls) and not
just the m2ts file that is in the stream folder.
Strange, because I can recall being able to play sound from the m2ts alone.

It seems I have bigger problems now however. The movies I watch no matter
what format will jack my cpu to %100 after 10 minutes of watching. This happens to all media players not just mpc. I even downloaded VLC player to test it and it also crashed. What is more annoying is that video files I've watched without any problems
before are crashing my computer now.

I'll have to reformat my computer and setup mpc with this guide tonight and see
if that helps. My specs are

Intel 2 core Duo 2.1 GHz
4 GB RAM
64bit Windows 7
Nvidia Geforce 9200M GE

I know they aren't the best specs in the world but again even MKV files I had no
problems with before lose synchronization with the audio and crash the player
now D:

Pretty much any big HD video file (8 - 40 GB) with a high bitrate will lag and drive my cpu crazy after 10 minutes of watching them. Shame this should happen now since this guide helped me watch Hellsing anime.

I would hate to have to upgrade but I'm out of ideas if the reformat doesn't help.
 
Dec 13, 2012 5:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
TheCorinthian said:
I was using LAV audio with Jan Willems MPC. Discovered that the audio works if I drag everything that's inside the Blu ray rip folder (.bdmv, .clpi. .mpls) and not just the m2ts file that is in the stream folder. Strange, because I can recall being able to play sound from the m2ts alone.

Could you please add a screenshot of your LAV Splitter just like this one?

It seems I have bigger problems now however. The movies I watch no matter what format will jack my cpu to %100 after 10 minutes of watching. This happens to all media players not just mpc. I even downloaded VLC player to test it and it also crashed. What is more annoying is that video files I've watched without any problems before are crashing my computer now.

Never install VLC again.

I'll have to reformat my computer and setup mpc with this guide tonight and see if that helps. My specs are: [Specs here]

I know they aren't the best specs in the world but again even MKV files I had no problems with before lose synchronization with the audio and crash the player
now D: Pretty much any big HD video file (8 - 40 GB) with a high bitrate will lag and drive my cpu crazy after 10 minutes of watching them. Shame this should happen now since this guide helped me watch Hellsing anime.

I would hate to have to upgrade but I'm out of ideas if the reformat doesn't help.

1. First of all, you're thinking too much. There's no need to reformat anything, stop with that.

2. You would NEVER be able to play a 40 GB file properly with your current machine. I have the same setup as yours (with exception of Windows 8, Intel HD and a Core 2 Duo of 2.20 Ghz) and I also can't play raw Blu-ray files without lag, why? Because the bitrate is just too big for you to deal with. It's like asking to put 1 liter of water (8-15 Mbps of bitrate) in a cup that only takes up 2 ml (2 cores of 2.20 Ghz). You can't do that without overflowing (lagging), can you?

3. The .m2ts issue is not something I can help with without a sample. Could you give me a sample (about 10 seconds) of the audio you're trying to play in it? I have downloaded about 3 samples since you've brought up the issue, and all of them worked. If you don't know how to do that, at least show me the screenshot I've asked in the start of this post.
 
Dec 13, 2012 6:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
So I decided to give your setup a try, and surprisingly the quality difference is actually more noticable than I thought!

One thing though, video files now take much longer to open than before (Like a good 10 seconds), not sure why that is. I'm running off an SSD so... :/

EDIT:
Full-setup in case that helps

i5 2500K (OCed to 4.0GHz)
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2Gb
8gb DDR3 RAM
Samsung 840 128gb SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Playing most video files off secondary HDDs (2 1TB, 1 2TB drives) but all have same result :/
Modified by Jrittmayer, Dec 13, 2012 6:19 PM
 
Dec 13, 2012 6:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
So I decided to give your setup a try, and surprisingly the quality difference is actually more noticeable than I thought!

One thing though, video files now take much longer to open than before (Like a good 10 seconds), not sure why that is. I'm running off an SSD so... :/

Glad you liked it. But it's strange, the delay shouldn't be anything more than 3 seconds at max. Do you have any specific files that behave like that or is everything you played?
 
Dec 13, 2012 6:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
So I decided to give your setup a try, and surprisingly the quality difference is actually more noticeable than I thought!

One thing though, video files now take much longer to open than before (Like a good 10 seconds), not sure why that is. I'm running off an SSD so... :/

Glad you liked it. But it's strange, the delay shouldn't be anything more than 3 seconds at max. Do you have any specific files that behave like that or is everything you played?


It varies quite a bit, but generally it takes around 5 seconds or so on average.

Tested several videos
a few 300mb~ 720p TV rips
a few 1-10gb Bluray rips

Sometimes the BD opened quicker, sometimes the smaller files opened quicker. It's odd.

Fastest one opened in around 3 seconds, slowest around 10 seconds or so.

Posted my specs above if that helps.
 
Dec 13, 2012 6:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
Tested several videos
a few 300mb~ 720p TV rips
a few 1-10gb Bluray rips

Did some quick search on the matter, it seems like there's also others having the same problems with madVR 0.85x. A 10 seconds load. It could be a driver problem or simply a bug with newer GPUs, since my Intel HD can open files in less than 2-3 seconds. I'm sure your specs are not the problem.

Also, make sure your GPU is not messing up with the video, for example, I believe you have a "central" that control your GPU general options like video color/resolution etc, I don't remember where, but it's there, so disable everything that could interfere with your video quality/performance.

Tomorrow I'll look into more depth about how to deal with it, it's inconvenient but if you could be kind to wait until then, I would appreciate.
 
Dec 13, 2012 6:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Tested several videos
a few 300mb~ 720p TV rips
a few 1-10gb Bluray rips

Did some quick search on the matter, it seems like there's also others having the same problems with madVR 0.85x. A 10 seconds load. It could be a driver problem or simply a bug with newer GPUs, since my Intel HD can open files in less than 2-3 seconds. I'm sure your specs are not the problem.

Also, make sure your GPU is not messing up with the video, for example, I believe you have a "central" that control your GPU general options like video color/resolution etc, I don't remember where, but it's there, so disable everything that could interfere with your video quality/performance.

Tomorrow I'll look into more depth about how to deal with it, it's inconvenient but if you could be kind to wait until then, I would appreciate.


Oh it's not a life or death situation, it's just a tad annoying, but I'd appreciate you looking into it :)

Checked the Nvidia control panel and all settings were already set to "Let media player decide"

Whenever I opened a video it would prompt me to run madVR but I unchecked the box that said "Ask me everytime" so I guess it just auto-runs now? Maybe this process slows it down?
 
Dec 13, 2012 6:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
Whenever I opened a video it would prompt me to run madVR but I unchecked the box that said "Ask me everytime" so I guess it just auto-runs now? Maybe this process slows it down?

Hm... I don't know if it's related, it could be a lot of work, but would you upload a screenshot of this control panel then? If I have the image I might find something that could help.
 
Dec 13, 2012 7:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Whenever I opened a video it would prompt me to run madVR but I unchecked the box that said "Ask me everytime" so I guess it just auto-runs now? Maybe this process slows it down?

Hm... I don't know if it's related, it could be a lot of work, but would you upload a screenshot of this control panel then? If I have the image I might find something that could help.

Modified by Jrittmayer, Dec 13, 2012 7:16 PM
 
Dec 13, 2012 7:14 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Doesn't seem like it's a problem with the settings. Thanks for the pic. Put a spoiler tag so it doesn't mess up with the thread page, haha. I'll search more on this tomorrow, I have to get going now unfortunately. I'll make a update on your profile as soon as I can, promise!
 
Dec 13, 2012 7:27 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Did not reformat after all (got lazy) but here are the screen shots.
Seems like I was actually using Haali. Both are M2ts and same size.

First up is The Grey
http://s1299.beta.photobucket.com/user/PhotoUndertaker/media/screenshot_zps990bddf1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Next is drive which I have been able to play without any problems before.
http://s1299.beta.photobucket.com/user/PhotoUndertaker/media/screenshot2_zpsf21bf3b5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Both have the x'd out speaker in the bottom right corner.
 
Dec 13, 2012 7:53 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Here is another file screenshot. This one is a .wmv file 7.55 GB. I had no problems playing
this file before. I'm able to watch the movie for 10 minutes before the cpu goes to 100% and mpc crashes with a mini dump.

http://s1299.beta.photobucket.com/user/PhotoUndertaker/media/Untitled-3_zpse346cbed.jpg.html
 
Dec 14, 2012 4:34 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Strange, very strange.

I don't think you followed this guide step by step Corin. First you're using Haali for .m2ts when LAV is the one supposed to handle it. Fix that in the filters list and options for the splitter. Next, use imgur.com for your screenshots, Photobucket will always rezise, I almost can't read anything there. Now to the most important, you're getting a "mini dump" error, please check the memory usage of MPC-HC while playing those videos and report it here.

I have 2 theories regarding your problems:

1. Related to the .m2ts, I've finally found a sample that doesn't play properly here, seems like DTS Express is not compatible with this guide. I would appreciate a screenshot just like the one in "The Grey" with the file you can't hear the sound, but make sure you're using LAV Splitter or it will be useless.

2. The mini dump problem is usually caused by leak of memory, that's why I'm asking a report in this matter. Even if the memory levels are normal, I recommend you trying a new MPC-HC version from the link provided or a stable one, and see if anything changes.

I would also recommend you to re-do or just re-check the guide step by step, and make sure it's not a problem with your settings.
 
Dec 14, 2012 12:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Yeah, this slow start up problem is actually more annoying than I though. Having to wait for a video to start is quite annoying. Not only that but when I scroll forward there a delay for the audio to start back up (around 1 secondish)

Also, is there a way to generate thumbnails images for videos using this setup?
Modified by Jrittmayer, Dec 14, 2012 12:44 PM
 
Dec 14, 2012 12:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
Yeah, this slow start up problem is actually more annoying than I though. Having to wait for a video to start is quite annoying. Not only that but when I scroll forward there a delay for the audio to start back up (around 1 secondish)

Good thing you passed by, I'm still searching around a little, I believe this is a madVR issue, my delay also got from 2-3 seconds to 4-5. Not too much, but I noticed it. It seems like that came up with version 0.85.3. About the audio delay, that's explained in the FAQ. See section of Audio, last question.

Edit: Thumbnails huh... It's not impossible, but it's not something you should be asking for. For .mkv files you'll need a DivX Media Pack, which messes up with your registry and might cause some problems with your currently installed filters. Not to mention far as I know it's not for free.
Modified by Niyawa, Dec 14, 2012 12:52 PM
 
Dec 14, 2012 1:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Yeah, this slow start up problem is actually more annoying than I though. Having to wait for a video to start is quite annoying. Not only that but when I scroll forward there a delay for the audio to start back up (around 1 secondish)

Good thing you passed by, I'm still searching around a little, I believe this is a madVR issue, my delay also got from 2-3 seconds to 4-5. Not too much, but I noticed it. It seems like that came up with version 0.85.3. About the audio delay, that's explained in the FAQ. See section of Audio, last question.

Edit: Thumbnails huh... It's not impossible, but it's not something you should be asking for. For .mkv files you'll need a DivX Media Pack, which messes up with your registry and might cause some problems with your currently installed filters. Not to mention far as I know it's not for free.


Changed the pre-buffer in re-clock to 25 and that seems to have fixed the audio problem.

Okay, so the problem lies with madVR, is there fix or workaround for this?
 
Dec 14, 2012 1:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
Okay, so the problem lies with madVR, is there fix or workaround for this?

For now I don't think so, I'l going to get in touch with madshi and ask around a little. Meanwhile, you didn't enable/disable any option that's not included in the guide did you? Especially something like "delay playback start until render queue is full".
 
Dec 14, 2012 2:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Okay, so the problem lies with madVR, is there fix or workaround for this?

For now I don't think so, I'l going to get in touch with madshi and ask around a little. Meanwhile, you didn't enable/disable any option that's not included in the guide did you? Especially something like "delay playback start until render queue is full".


I followed the guide word for word, including the optional stuff like Reclock.

Where would delay playback start be located, just so I can double check?
 
Dec 14, 2012 2:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Niyawa said:
Strange, very strange.

I don't think you followed this guide step by step Corin. First you're using Haali for .m2ts when LAV is the one supposed to handle it. Fix that in the filters list and options for the splitter. Next, use imgur.com for your screenshots, Photobucket will always rezise, I almost can't read anything there. Now to the most important, you're getting a "mini dump" error, please check the memory usage of MPC-HC while playing those videos and report it here.

I have 2 theories regarding your problems:

1. Related to the .m2ts, I've finally found a sample that doesn't play properly here, seems like DTS Express is not compatible with this guide. I would appreciate a screenshot just like the one in "The Grey" with the file you can't hear the sound, but make sure you're using LAV Splitter or it will be useless.

2. The mini dump problem is usually caused by leak of memory, that's why I'm asking a report in this matter. Even if the memory levels are normal, I recommend you trying a new MPC-HC version from the link provided or a stable one, and see if anything changes.

I would also recommend you to re-do or just re-check the guide step by step, and make sure it's not a problem with your settings.


1. I rechecked the steps from the guide and I don't think I missed anything.
In order to get LAV Splitter to do the job should I go to the LAV Splitter source
properties in external filters and check every input format except for matroska?
I tried that and it still uses Haali media source for m2ts files.

2. My cpu fluctuates between 40 and 60 with the m2ts files that currently don't have sound. When I skip forward the cpu increases to about 80%.

I tried a 15GB mkv file to see the cpu activity. When I browse through scenes the cpu is higher and the audio makes weird screeching noises sometimes. Here is screenshot of this movie.
http://imgur.com/FuzHL
 
Dec 14, 2012 2:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
Where would delay playback start be located, just so I can double check?

Go to madVR options, it's under "rendering" > "general settings".
 
Dec 14, 2012 2:15 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Like Jrittmayer I also did Reclock and set it as the audio rendered afterwards in playback>output. I downloaded both the Jan Willem MPC and the regularx86 install version of MPC from the links you provided.
 
Dec 14, 2012 2:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Where would delay playback start be located, just so I can double check?

Go to madVR options, it's under "rendering" > "general settings".


It's unchecked....hmm, this is puzzling. Can I install an older version of madVR or something or will that screw the whole setup up?

Also, audio started stuttering now...probably because of reclock....ugh, can I use a different audio decoder, which one would I use?
 
Dec 14, 2012 2:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
TheCorinthian said:
1. I rechecked the steps from the guide and I don't think I missed anything. In order to get LAV Splitter to do the job should I go to the LAV Splitter source properties in external filters and check every input format except for matroska? I tried that and it still uses Haali media source for m2ts files.

Exactly, why Haali is overdoing it I don't know. Try to block Haali in External Filters and see if it changes something. I need it too see what type of audio you're dealing with. If it's DTS Express then you can't do anything about it aside from using Arcsoft software.

2. My cpu fluctuates between 40 and 60 with the m2ts files that currently don't have sound. When I skip forward the cpu increases to about 80%. I tried a 15GB mkv file to see the cpu activity. When I browse through scenes the cpu is higher and the audio makes weird screeching noises sometimes. Here is screenshot of this movie.

I believe the problem is because of your specs. Like I already said, 1080p with a Core 2 Duo does not compute. The software you used before it must have been downscaling the quality so you could play it properly. Neither madVR or EVR-CP does that, which is why it's making those weird issues.

Jrittmayer said:
It's unchecked....hmm, this is puzzling. Can I install an older version of madVR or something or will that screw the whole setup up?

It won't. Try to use the 0.85.2 until I get more results in my search. You can find it here.

Also, audio started stuttering now...probably because of reclock....ugh, can I use a different audio decoder, which one would I use?

ReClock is an audio renderer, not decoder. You can simply uninstall it and remove from the "External Filters" list. Then you go to "Output" and apply the default audio renderer to "System Default" and you're done.
Modified by Niyawa, Dec 14, 2012 2:32 PM
 
Dec 14, 2012 3:34 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Blocking Haali external filters fixes the audio issues for m2ts. M2ts videos use up
95% to 100% of cpu now which has me thinking that your guess might be correct. Maybe the software I was using before was down Down Scaling my vids.

If I were to upgrade to a desktop what specs would be good enough to play 1080p movies with high bitrates and not down scaling them? I'm not familiar with the latest graphics cards so if you could suggest a few that would be great.

Thanks again for the help.
 
Dec 14, 2012 9:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
TheCorinthian said:
If I were to upgrade to a desktop what specs would be good enough to play 1080p movies with high bitrates and not down scaling them? I'm not familiar with the latest graphics cards so if you could suggest a few that would be great.

For CPU, any quad-core of at least 3 Ghz is a safe bet. My personal recommendation would be a Core i5 3570K that's around $200~220. Basically the same price of 2500K, that was considered the best for mid-ranges until some time ago.

As for GPU, you don't seem like the gamer type, so a GTX 650 that's around $100 will do. You can also get a 650 Ti which is about $40 more but with 50% more performance, it's your pick.

I should be the one thanking you. Most people would just get pissed of and go away in a situation like this blaming everything because they can't get something to work. You kept around until the end and learned a lot all together, and me as well too.
 
Dec 14, 2012 10:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Wait, so does this process down scale higher bit rate video? And if so, is there a way to change that for increased quality?

Also does this method put more focus onto the CPU or GPU for video processing power? Playing a 19.5Mbps 17GB 1080p BD file I only seem to be using around 15-20% of my CPU at any given time.

Still haven't figured out how to speed up the opening of video files, been playing around a bit with madVR but no luck :C
 
Dec 14, 2012 10:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
Wait, so does this process down scale higher bit rate video? And if so, is there a way to change that for increased quality?

This guide does not downscale anything, the fact you're using madVR already proves your video is at max quality.

Also does this method put more focus onto the CPU or GPU for video processing power? Playing a 19.5Mbps 17GB 1080p BD file I only seem to be using around 15-20% of my CPU at any given time.

madVR is GPU oriented, it makes the whole video process through GPU shaders, giving less process for the CPU to deal with.

Still haven't figured out how to speed up the opening of video files, been playing around a bit with madVR but no luck :C

Could you try to open then while using EVR-CP, I want to make sure it's madVR doing and not MPC-HC for example.
 
Dec 14, 2012 10:19 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
EVR-CP? Where/how would I set that?
 
Dec 14, 2012 10:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
EVR-CP? Where/how would I set that?

Open MPC-HC Options menu, Under "Output", instead of madVR select "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)". And block madVR in External Filters to make sure it's EVR-CP that will be used. Just undo these steps to use madVR again.
 
Dec 14, 2012 10:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
EVR-CP? Where/how would I set that?

Open MPC-HC Options menu, Under "Output", instead of madVR select "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)". And block madVR in External Filters to make sure it's EVR-CP that will be used. Just undo these steps to use madVR again.


Tried this and still same results when opening files, it hangs for a good 5 seconds or more then finally loads up.
 
Dec 14, 2012 10:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
Tried this and still same results when opening files, it hangs for a good 5 seconds or more then finally loads up.

Now we can assume it's not a madVR problem, and not a decoder either. It must be MPC-HC or Haali/LAV Splitter. Since you already removed ReClock that is one less too.

You're using MPC-HC or MPC-BE/JanWillem32 build?
 
Dec 14, 2012 10:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Tried this and still same results when opening files, it hangs for a good 5 seconds or more then finally loads up.

Now we can assume it's not a madVR problem, and not a decoder either. It must be MPC-HC or Haali/LAV Splitter. Since you already removed ReClock that is one less too.

You're using MPC-HC or MPC-BE/JanWillem32 build?


I actually fiddled a bit more with reclock before giving up on it and the audio works now with no stutter or delay.

I'm using the x86 (32-bit) version of MPC-HC as per the download link in your description.
 
Dec 14, 2012 10:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
I'm using the x86 (32-bit) version of MPC-HC as per the download link in your description.

I don't want to sound pessimist, but I'm running out of options... Could you try to use MPC-BE and MPC-HC stable instead of the current one? If it's the same in both players, then means it's not a MPC issue either. Which leaves Haali and LAV Splitter.
 
Dec 14, 2012 10:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
I'm using the x86 (32-bit) version of MPC-HC as per the download link in your description.

I don't want to sound pessimist, but I'm running out of options... Could you try to use MPC-BE and MPC-HC stable instead of the current one? If it's the same in both players, then means it's not a MPC issue either. Which leaves Haali and LAV Splitter.


Will tinker with it tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the help though :)
 
Dec 14, 2012 10:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
Will tinker with it tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the help though :)

No worries, it's my guide, so it's my problem too. Just edit your post when you do the test, I'll be checking periodically here.
 
Dec 15, 2012 2:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12409
Niyawa said:
so unless you make a genuine attempt to explain why you believe something will not work, I don't know how I can believe you, since it works here.
Before I had LAV version 0.51.3, which couldn't override Haali Media Splitter when it came to .m2ts files, so lossless audio formats broke, as well as possibly PGS subtitle streams and language tags, making switching subtitles a pain. The only way to prevent this before (aside from messing with codec paths) is to block Haali.

LAV 0.54.1 (or a version in between) apparently solved that problem, so it's no longer an issue.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
 
Dec 15, 2012 2:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12409
Jrittmayer said:
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Tried this and still same results when opening files, it hangs for a good 5 seconds or more then finally loads up.

Now we can assume it's not a madVR problem, and not a decoder either. It must be MPC-HC or Haali/LAV Splitter. Since you already removed ReClock that is one less too.

You're using MPC-HC or MPC-BE/JanWillem32 build?


I actually fiddled a bit more with reclock before giving up on it and the audio works now with no stutter or delay.

I'm using the x86 (32-bit) version of MPC-HC as per the download link in your description.
My setup would hang for about 4 seconds too unless "Use GDI or PowerStrip for faster refresh rate detection" was checked in ReClock Video Settings. You might try that if you haven't already (or ignore me, whatever).
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
 
Dec 15, 2012 2:29 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
katsucats said:
LAV 0.54.1 (or a version in between) apparently solved that problem, so it's no longer an issue.

Corinthian was having the same problem, I better ask what LAV version he's using.

My setup would hang for about 4 seconds too unless "Use GDI or PowerStrip for faster refresh rate detection" was checked in ReClock Video Settings. You might try that if you haven't already (or ignore me, whatever).

Funny, just tested that and it really speeds up. I remember reading somewhere that it would make audio stutter instead. I better test some other settings too, thanks for the info. I'll add to the guide.
 
Dec 15, 2012 6:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
katsucats said:
Jrittmayer said:
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Tried this and still same results when opening files, it hangs for a good 5 seconds or more then finally loads up.

Now we can assume it's not a madVR problem, and not a decoder either. It must be MPC-HC or Haali/LAV Splitter. Since you already removed ReClock that is one less too.

You're using MPC-HC or MPC-BE/JanWillem32 build?


I actually fiddled a bit more with reclock before giving up on it and the audio works now with no stutter or delay.

I'm using the x86 (32-bit) version of MPC-HC as per the download link in your description.
My setup would hang for about 4 seconds too unless "Use GDI or PowerStrip for faster refresh rate detection" was checked in ReClock Video Settings. You might try that if you haven't already (or ignore me, whatever).


THANKYOU

Just happened to check this thread and tried what you said before messing around with the player and it definitely did something! Most files open within 1 second or so now! Some still hang a bit but that issue is mainly with larger files.

I'm going to test it a bit more later but for now it seems that changing that has fixed 80% of the problem :D

If there are any other settings you find that could speed up video launch time that would be greatly appreciated as well :D
 
Dec 15, 2012 7:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
Most files open within 1 second or so now! Some still hang a bit but that issue is mainly with larger files.

I wonder why I didn't noticed that earlier when I checked it, I'm retarded. It's the same for me.

I'm going to test it a bit more later but for now it seems that changing that has fixed 80% of the problem :D

What are the 20% left? Oh yeah, you can update to madVR 0.85.3 now.
 
Dec 15, 2012 8:19 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Most files open within 1 second or so now! Some still hang a bit but that issue is mainly with larger files.

I wonder why I didn't noticed that earlier when I checked it, I'm retarded. It's the same for me.

I'm going to test it a bit more later but for now it seems that changing that has fixed 80% of the problem :D

What are the 20% left? Oh yeah, you can update to madVR 0.85.3 now.


The files that are several Gb large, they used to open almost as fast as smaller files when I used CCCP+Shark 007 Codecs but they didn't seem to get much sped up from changing the option. Still hang for 4-6 seconds :/ hmmmm...

Still, this setup is much better now that its fixed :D
 
Dec 15, 2012 8:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
The files that are several Gb large, they used to open almost as fast as smaller files when I used CCCP+Shark 007 Codecs but they didn't seem to get much sped up from changing the option. Still hang for 4-6 seconds :/ hmmmm...

CCCP dithers everything, so it's much faster to open and decode files (too bad it's outdated and come with shitty options). Also, using 2 codec packs at the same time is not a good idea Jritt. madVR uses P010 for output (the best high quality out there for 10-bit) and that takes time. If you try with EVR-CP again I believe the time will go down to 2-3 seconds at least.

That's just my assumption though. You seem to have hardware of quality, so I can only give suggestions to such extent.
 
Dec 15, 2012 8:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
The files that are several Gb large, they used to open almost as fast as smaller files when I used CCCP+Shark 007 Codecs but they didn't seem to get much sped up from changing the option. Still hang for 4-6 seconds :/ hmmmm...

CCCP dithers everything, so it's much faster to open and decode files (too bad it's outdated and come with shitty options). Also, using 2 codec packs at the same time is not a good idea Jritt. madVR uses P010 for output (the best high quality out there for 10-bit) and that takes time. If you try with EVR-CP again I believe the time will go down to 2-3 seconds at least.

That's just my assumption though. You seem to have hardware of quality, so I can only give suggestions to such extent.


I suspect it might have something to do with playing files off of secondary HDD's. My OS boots off an SSD but the majority of my files are located on 3 seperate HDD's.

I'll play around with it somemore and report my findings ;)
 
Dec 15, 2012 4:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 12409
Jrittmayer said:
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
The files that are several Gb large, they used to open almost as fast as smaller files when I used CCCP+Shark 007 Codecs but they didn't seem to get much sped up from changing the option. Still hang for 4-6 seconds :/ hmmmm...

CCCP dithers everything, so it's much faster to open and decode files (too bad it's outdated and come with shitty options). Also, using 2 codec packs at the same time is not a good idea Jritt. madVR uses P010 for output (the best high quality out there for 10-bit) and that takes time. If you try with EVR-CP again I believe the time will go down to 2-3 seconds at least.

That's just my assumption though. You seem to have hardware of quality, so I can only give suggestions to such extent.


I suspect it might have something to do with playing files off of secondary HDD's. My OS boots off an SSD but the majority of my files are located on 3 seperate HDD's.

I'll play around with it somemore and report my findings ;)
This might be a shot in the dark, but are you using external drives, and are they the power saving 5700rpm "green" drives or the normal 7200rpm? Some drives will automatically spin down quickly to save power and take a couple seconds to come back online.

Then again, I have a file server on a separate computer connected through the router, and it only takes me 1-2 seconds to open 45GB files (uncompressed blu-rays), so I don't think it merely being on separate HDDs mean anything.

Edit: Another shot in the dark, if you have anti-virus software like Norton running, try disabling them.
Modified by katsucats, Dec 15, 2012 4:37 PM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
 
Dec 15, 2012 6:07 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
katsucats said:
Jrittmayer said:
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
The files that are several Gb large, they used to open almost as fast as smaller files when I used CCCP+Shark 007 Codecs but they didn't seem to get much sped up from changing the option. Still hang for 4-6 seconds :/ hmmmm...

CCCP dithers everything, so it's much faster to open and decode files (too bad it's outdated and come with shitty options). Also, using 2 codec packs at the same time is not a good idea Jritt. madVR uses P010 for output (the best high quality out there for 10-bit) and that takes time. If you try with EVR-CP again I believe the time will go down to 2-3 seconds at least.

That's just my assumption though. You seem to have hardware of quality, so I can only give suggestions to such extent.


I suspect it might have something to do with playing files off of secondary HDD's. My OS boots off an SSD but the majority of my files are located on 3 seperate HDD's.

I'll play around with it somemore and report my findings ;)
This might be a shot in the dark, but are you using external drives, and are they the power saving 5700rpm "green" drives or the normal 7200rpm? Some drives will automatically spin down quickly to save power and take a couple seconds to come back online.

Then again, I have a file server on a separate computer connected through the router, and it only takes me 1-2 seconds to open 45GB files (uncompressed blu-rays), so I don't think it merely being on separate HDDs mean anything.

Edit: Another shot in the dark, if you have anti-virus software like Norton running, try disabling them.


They're all internal 7200RPM SATA drives, two 1 TB and one 2 TB drive. Most of the anime runs off the 2 TB drive. I don't believe they're power saving type drives, since their access time is pretty good good.

I don't have any anti-virus running aside from Windows Defender. Not sure if WD causes problems?
 
Dec 16, 2012 4:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1943
Jrittmayer said:
They're all internal 7200RPM SATA drives, two 1 TB and one 2 TB drive. Most of the anime runs off the 2 TB drive. I don't believe they're power saving type drives, since their access time is pretty good good.

I don't have any anti-virus running aside from Windows Defender. Not sure if WD causes problems?

Sorry for delay, it's pretty much as katsu said and I don't believe Windows Defender does anything like that. I'm still waiting for my 5 day delay to post in the forums where madshi and nevcairiel are to ask them a couple of questions regarding the issue, sorry I'm not able to help too much.
 
Dec 16, 2012 4:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 4139
Niyawa said:

Kimura said:
I used a similar guide from Bishoujo Project and it works nicely. One notable difference between this one and that one is this guide has no mention of hardware acceleration within LAV Video Decoder. Just wondering what your thoughts on this are.

First, I don't recommend the use of Bishoujou Project guide. Not just because their guide sucks (don't let me get started with most issues), but because it recommends things that you will never need like madFlac and the useless CoreAVC. They also don't recommend the use of xy-VSFilter that is the best subtitle renderer to date (because of minor issues with Desktop resolution which only people who upscale can sometimes notice). Oh yeah, with this guide like Hakuro said, you won't need hardware acceleration or anything of sort. madVR is GPU oriented so it will use the potential of the CPU and GPU altogether.

Basically, they're trying to put in your throat everything that is out there either you'll need it or not. Completely pointless.


They don't actually recommend CoreAVC. They say to use LAV Filters unless you absolutely need/want to use CoreAVC. MadFLAC is not useless, it is very good at what it does. You're only saying it's useless because you personally have no use for it. I honestly don't see why you wouldn't use it anyway? What possible drawbacks are there to having MadFLAC handle FLAC? Answer: None.

As for the xy-vsfilter argument, to each their own. The default MPC-HC subtitle renderer is awful compared to JanWillem32's engine, that is what Bishoujo recommends. This is their exact comment on why they recommend not using xy-vsfilter:

The Bishoujo Project said:
Ever since a relatively-recent-but-I’m-too-lazy-to-look-up-exactly-which version of madVR… support for MPC-HC’s internal subtitle engine has been added. This means we don’t have to rely on something (very) shitty like directvodsub. Something unique about the internal subtitle engine is an architectural difference in that it imposes subtitles essentially after all other rendering work has been done. This was brought to light to me by a commenter “CV” and an encoder at Afternoon Naps Empire. This is good in theory, but not in practice because of some scaling issues that mess with typesetting, an issue with anamorphic video scaling because the internal subtitle engine imposes subtitles after the video is re-sized to display resolution, and some bugs with color-space conversion because SD content and HD content use two different color-matrices and if the subtitles are not rendered with the video then a slight difference can occur depending on how the subtitles were typesetted.

xy-vsfilter, a more recent fork of vsfilter, fixes most of these issues however it should be noted that because vsfilter applies subtitles before display resolution resizing occurs the subtitles will have a lower resolution to compared to the internal subtitle engine — this is why this guide has been updated to use JanWillem32′s builds of MPC-HC AND NOT XY-VSFILTER (I’m reiterating this here because people not familiar with the internal subtitle engine were misinterpreting this explanation as instructions to use xy-vsfilter. It’s only mentioned because I’m debunking the idea that it’s the best solution.) which fixes, in my opinion, the worst of these issues with the internal subtitle engine in default builds while retaining crisp high-resolution subtitles.

Source: http://www.bishoujoproject.com/mpc-hc-playback-guide/

Nonetheless, thank you for putting your time into making this guide. The more people we can get away from using CCCP, K-Lite and VLC, the better. Please look over all the comments in this thread, the bishoujo guide and the comments on that article to improve your guide. Yours and the bishoujo guides are the best I have seen so far. Consolidating all the information should make for one beastly end-all-be-all guide.
Modified by Tyestor, Dec 16, 2012 4:39 AM
 
Top
Pages (28) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »