Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 9, 2012 9:44 PM

Jun 2012
I recently, having just barely started getting into manga (just. barely.), have realized that if I want to be a true fan of it, I will need to actually purchase the books. any good locations for me to go?

Nov 9, 2012 9:45 PM

Apr 2012
Amazon.com
Nov 9, 2012 9:47 PM

Dec 2009
nowhere, ... I don't buy yet ><
don't have a job or money yet, but I'm getting my car soon.

I bought one manga with my mom at Indigo book store
Nov 9, 2012 9:56 PM

Dec 2011
Where I buy my manga (I live in the UK):

Amazon (cheap individual volumes)
Forbidden planet (for buying lots of stuff at a time)
Waterstone's (when I want something immediately or when it isn't in stock in amazon - or if I happen to be in the store anyway)
Honto (japanese language stuff)

for anime:
Amazon (for... almost everything)
CEX (2nd hand, particularly for older stuff that is no longer in print)
I have bought stuff from HMV before now but they tend to be more expensive
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 9, 2012 10:10 PM

Aug 2007
This is where i buy manga:
*Barnes and Nobles (store and online; new books; english manga only)
*Half-Price Books (store only; used books; mostly english manga but some Japanese manga are available)
*Better World Books (online site; used books; english manga only)
*Hastings (online only; used books; english manga only)
*Kinokuniya (store and online; new books; both Japanese and English manga available)
*LiveJournal (GarageSaleJapan community. Hard to find some bargain prices)
Nov 9, 2012 10:21 PM

Aug 2011
I highly recommend Amazon. Ebay works too, but I've only gotten a few manga from there.

But if I don't want to bother with shipping and all that, I'll just go into Barnes & Noble to get what I want. I normally shop at the online store, though. Moreso when they're having a special on shipping.

Ah, savings.

Nov 9, 2012 10:36 PM

Mar 2009
How has no one yet mentioned The Right Stuf? They have a decent bargain bin, currently (for the next couple days), Yen Press stuff is 33% off (40% off if you buy a membership for $12 for the year, and if you're going to spend at least $120, it's well worth it)

I also like Book Depository and Amazon.

For used stuff, GoHastings and Alibris are good
Nov 9, 2012 10:40 PM

Jun 2012
Amazon has 4 for the price of 3 deals on Manga typically in the 8-10$ range, so I reccomend you take advantage of that offer... Apart from that, there's always Barnes&Nobles... But Amazon is always the cheaper option.
Nov 11, 2012 10:26 AM

Aug 2012
Bookstores, Second-hand shops and online.
Nov 11, 2012 6:26 PM

May 2010
In the US....

I occasionally buy in-store from Barnes and Noble if I'm desperate. Of course depending on the size of the store and the buying habits of their customers, their selection will vary (usually just popular or recent stuff from the bigger publishers)

Usually it's from Amazon.com, though. If you can get the pre-orders in at the right time, you can get Yen Press titles for about 50% off the cover price. But Viz titles are usually full price. You get free shipping on orders over $25. The only problem with their manga listings is that when a publisher quits the series, they still keep the listing up. They've still got all the defunct "to-be-released" Tokyopop listings there (even though they won't ever publish them now).

I bought from RightStuf once; it wasn't the best experience, but they do sell Viz titles at a discount; free shipping for orders over $50.

Ebay is good if you want to buy a set (especially out-of-print), and you don't mind used.

Half-Price Books (the only bookstore I've found used English manga in) sometimes has hard-to-find manga, which would be a lot more expensive to get online. (I once found a rare volume at HPB, bought it for $5, and auctioned it off on ebay; it sold at about 10x the cover price :O). They also have "warehouse sales" to clear inventory, so you can buy tons of volumes for $1-2 each, which is a great way to try out series that you never would have otherwise, and discover a new series.

And there's also digital. I've bought from both vizmanga.com, and jmanga.com. Which is good for titles that maybe you don't want people to find around the house (P_P)
Nov 12, 2012 4:32 AM
Sep 2012
I buy manga from Amazon when the price on it is below MSRP. If the price is the same, I buy from Barnes and Noble.
Nov 12, 2012 7:31 AM

Jun 2012
I Miss Borders and Sasuga.

:(

Anyways....

For Manga; I use RightStuf and Barnes and Noble for new. Half Price Books and GoHastings for used.

Will be trying Book Depository

For Anime; It's almost always RightStuf, Sometimes Amazon for new. Local places, Hastings and HPB for used.

Sometimes you can find some deals at Walmart, Best Buy or FYE of course.
Nov 12, 2012 10:20 AM

Nov 2012
I always go to the bookstore and order some, it's the easiest way without much effort :) You only need to look for the ISBN number on the internet
Nov 12, 2012 10:31 AM

Jul 2012
ehm i never bought a manga book before..... i usually check them online on mangafox ... but i know a good store 20 minutes away from my place that sells variety of manga for around 8$ per book but why spending money on manga if u can find it/read it online for free :p ?
Nov 12, 2012 4:12 PM

Mar 2012
Rightstuf, Amazon, or AnimeCornerStore.
Thinking about trying out eBay, though.
Nov 12, 2012 8:10 PM

Jun 2012
Amazon.com is my go-to because it has anything and everything, but most bookstores have specific sections dedicated to manga, and wherever there are DVD's being sold I can usually find anime to :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Nov 13, 2012 5:29 AM

Nov 2012
I buy some of them from a bookstore near my campus. for the rest I either read or download from the online reading site or the scanlator. most of the manga I'm reading aren't released in my country anyway
....of all the arts, for us the cinema is the most important.

-- Vladimir Lenin
Nov 13, 2012 5:48 PM

Nov 2007
I used to buy them from the bookstore until they went out of business. Now I get them used from Half-Price. I'd probably buy them from Amazon.com if I still bought manga regularly since they have sales sometimes.
Nov 13, 2012 7:52 PM

Nov 2012
There's this store called Book Off that sells mangas as cheap as $1. It's located near LA, CA. I bought some of my mangas there.
Nov 14, 2012 4:41 AM

Apr 2011
I buy my manga from either Waterstones or Amazon. I also buy my anime from Amazon but a majority of the time it's from HMV.
Nov 14, 2012 5:49 AM

Sep 2012
Used to buy all my manga from Borders, but they went out of business and all their stores closed a while ago. I haven't bought any manga in a while because of that. Suppose I could always get some off of Amazon...

Nov 18, 2012 3:30 PM
Nov 2012
i don't buy manga (or anime) i just find them on the internet on websites that have them where they are free
Dec 2, 2012 1:32 PM

Jun 2012
Amazon.co.uk i can find anything on there for a fair price, usually £5 a volume cheaper for second hand but im weird and must have them brand new otherwise it pisses me off :D unless its like battle angel alita and published in like 1990-1995 then obviously second hand is the only option there :P
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Dec 2, 2012 7:36 PM

Nov 2012
Some book stores sell manga, but in my town, very few do... and if they do, it's the smallest amount...

Honestly, the best places to buy manga are eBay and dedicated online stores. Some of the better online stores are Anime Stuff Store and Anime Corner Store.

Dec 4, 2012 7:41 PM

May 2012
7 Eleven, Popular
Dec 11, 2012 1:55 AM

Jun 2010
I buy from a shop called Minotaur in the city or from Better World Books.com.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 12, 2012 11:31 PM

May 2011
I just pick up odd volumes that people sell to a local bookstore. Other then that, I sometimes buy off of Amazon if I reallllly like the series.
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Amazon has 4 for the price of 3 deals on Manga typically in the 8-10$ range, so I recommend you take advantage of that offer... Apart from that, there's always Barnes&Nobles... But Amazon is always the cheaper option.
Really? I've never seen this O_o

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

17 by Oofmastre9000 »»
5 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
7 hours ago

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5931 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:26 PM

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

7 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 16, 8:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.