Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 8, 2012 4:31 PM

Mar 2012
There has to be something I'm missing, because it can't be normal to fall in love with a comatose brother / cousin. Or a brother / cousin who just got out of a coma. Or a brother / cousin who was distant from absorbing himself in virtual reality video games before even going comatose. Going even further back, Suguha would be too young (at most 8) for actual romantic attraction.

And this is all ignoring the Westermarck effect even though they were raised up together. Since we're talking about anime. From Japan. But the thing is that Suguha liking Kirito doesn't really make sense even if we ignore the fact that they are related and spent the first few years of their lives together.

Did the LN explain this at all?

Edit: Inb4 "because SAO is sexist."
LunaNov 9, 2012 9:26 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 8, 2012 4:35 PM

Jun 2007
Because SAO needed a generic incest romance mixed in with the 50 other girls who fall in love with Kirito for no real reason.
Nov 8, 2012 4:41 PM

Mar 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Because SAO needed a generic incest romance mixed in with the 50 other girls who fall in love with Kirito for no real reason.

I wouldn't mind this being the case if there were any actual romance. Kirito isn't even remotely attracted to her.
Nov 8, 2012 4:50 PM

Apr 2009
Because the writer thought that pandering to the incest crowd would improve sales and compensate for his lackluster writing?
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Nov 8, 2012 5:02 PM

Jun 2009
Because Kirito a... Pretty Boy, a Computer Genius... He's a pretty boy...

I can't do it even if I try...

Serioulsy, what does Kirito have over other guys besides his pretty face? How is he so popular?
AirStylesNov 8, 2012 5:05 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 8, 2012 5:02 PM

Jan 2011
Coff* Self-insert. *Coff *Coff.
Nov 8, 2012 5:04 PM
Oct 2012
It's because Kawahara wanted to write one of the most glorious heartbreak scenes.
Nov 8, 2012 5:06 PM

Mar 2012
Meta-reasons are great and all, but basically the answer is "no reason" if we're staying in-universe?
Nov 8, 2012 5:10 PM

Jun 2007
ataraxial said:
Meta-reasons are great and all, but basically the answer is "no reason" if we're staying in-universe?

In all seriousness the real reason IS because the author wanted to write in an incest part because that sort of thing has always sold well in Japan.

In-story it's also, like I said, for the same reasons every other girl he's met has fallen in love with him - which, as you said, basically falls to "no reason" aside him being the main character...which in-universe would be 'no reason'.
Nov 8, 2012 5:11 PM

Jan 2011
ataraxial said:

Exactly. Any sane person knows that there's no deep concept behind the "romance" aside from the fact that's it's cliche writing.
Nov 8, 2012 5:14 PM

Mar 2012
AirStyles said:

Serioulsy, what does Kirito have over other guys besides his pretty face? How is he so popular?

That's it -n
Nov 8, 2012 5:20 PM
Mar 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
Because the writer thought that pandering to the incest crowd would improve sales and compensate for his lackluster writing?

SAO was just some thing posted only on the authors website with no chance of profit when he wrote Fairy Dance. Basically the entire series was already written before he finally was in a position to actually profit from his writing. So saying such a base part of the story was only written to pander for profits is pretty silly.
Nov 8, 2012 5:25 PM
Nov 2010
@KaiKatsuya

So, people can't be attracted to ordinary people?
Nov 8, 2012 5:26 PM

Apr 2012
GrayArchon said:
Nidhoeggr said:

SAO was just some thing posted only on the authors website with no chance of profit when he wrote Fairy Dance. Basically the entire series was already written before he finally was in a position to actually profit from his writing. So saying such a base part of the story was only written to pander for profits is pretty silly.

So the only other reasonable explanation is self insertion and gratification of sexual fantasies.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Nov 8, 2012 5:27 PM

Aug 2009
Suguha confused her feelings for love in the beginning.She like Kazuto wanted to recover their relationship as brother and sister.His "devotion" to Asuna and how he was because she wasnt awake made her jealous and confused her.
Later by meeting Kirito(who is the same person in everything) she starts to fall in love with him making her "love" her brother even more without realizing it.

She first confirms her feelings for Kirito and later for Kazuto.
Conclusion:Sugu is just a normal teen(if you take out the incest) that cant tell wtf she is feeling about the boy next to her be it Kirito or Kazuto.

Also:
KaiKatsuya said:
AirStyles said:

That's it -n
Nov 8, 2012 5:28 PM

Jan 2011
Z-flame said:

Nope. If you're attracted/in love with someone, that means the person is not ordinary in any way. Or are you telling me that you can fall in love with any random person you meet on the street? Because they're ordinary.
Nov 8, 2012 5:29 PM

Mar 2012
Z-flame said:
@KaiKatsuya

I'm not saying that, I don't have a problem with it at all, don't even care. AirStyles asked, I just answered
Nov 8, 2012 5:32 PM
Oct 2012
BloodRequiem said:
GrayArchon said:
Nidhoeggr said:

So the only other reasonable explanation is self insertion and gratification of sexual fantasies.

It made for an interesting and funny story. Suguha playing together with Kirito and slowly falling for him while not realising that he is in fact her brother and getting her heart crushed in the end.
Nov 8, 2012 5:33 PM

Jan 2011
ssjokg said:
Later by meeting Kirito(who is the same person in everything) she starts to fall in love with him making her "love" her brother even more without realizing it.

Man, I don't even know how that happened, it was too fast, just one episode. I'm not surprised though.
Nov 8, 2012 5:34 PM

Mar 2012
ssjokg said:
Suguha confused her feelings for love in the beginning.She like Kazuto wanted to recover their relationship as brother and sister.His "devotion" to Asuna and how he was because she wasnt awake made her jealous and confused her.

I think this is the closest we'll get to an actual explanation. I just checked the LN, and the first time the whole Suguha-liking-Kirito thing shows up is when Suguha is remembering her own reaction to Kirito talking about Asuna and feeling jealous and nervous. It being implied that she has always "liked" him romantically to some extent can just be attributed to the writer not doing a good job of developing this properly and realistically.
Nov 8, 2012 5:43 PM

Aug 2009
Niyawa said:
ssjokg said:

Man, I don't even know how that happened, it was too fast, just one episode. I'm not surprised though.

I mean during the course of their adventures not when they met.
Nov 8, 2012 5:46 PM

Jan 2011
ssjokg said:
To "fall in love" with someone you met just a few days ago is pretty normal for teenagers(of both genders)

"A few days ago". Don't you mean some hours after they've met? You can see in the episode that she practically was already over him while they were flying. The moment she takes of her "LoveGear" she is already distressed about whom she loves or not.
Nov 8, 2012 5:48 PM

Mar 2012
Niyawa said:
ssjokg said:
To "fall in love" with someone you met just a few days ago is pretty normal for teenagers(of both genders)

"A few days ago". Don't you mean some hours after they've met? You can see in the episode that she practically was already over him while they were flying. The moment she takes of her "LoveGear" she is already distressed about whom she loves or not.

Definitely possible to have a crush on someone you just met. Like within minutes if not seconds.
Nov 8, 2012 5:48 PM

Apr 2012
Niyawa said:
ssjokg said:

All love at first sight man. Dunno what kind of pheromones Kirito was giving off to attract all those girls.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Nov 8, 2012 5:50 PM

Mar 2012
BloodRequiem said:
Niyawa said:
ssjokg said:

All love at first sight man. Dunno what kind of pheromones Kirito was giving off to attract all those girls.

Virtual pheromones. Lots of them.
He is a beta tester and a cheater after all... and a supposed "computer genius."
Nov 8, 2012 5:51 PM

Apr 2012
ataraxial said:
BloodRequiem said:
Niyawa said:
ssjokg said:

Virtual pheromones. Lots of them.
He is a beta tester and a cheater after all... and a supposed "computer genius."

Never saw the computer genius part. Did see gamebreaking hax sword part.
Nov 8, 2012 5:51 PM

Aug 2009
Niyawa said:
ssjokg said:

A crush isnt exactly what you call love.

crush<really liking someone<teen love<love
Nov 8, 2012 5:54 PM

Jan 2011
You are forgetting something xial-kun, she was already in love with Kazuto. That's why is way unrealistic she falling in love with someone else she just met in a game with a couple of hours. Again, it's not impossible, but it is unrealistic.

@ss-kun
I know that, again, this is just a point of view.
NiyawaNov 8, 2012 5:57 PM
Nov 8, 2012 5:58 PM

Aug 2009
Niyawa said:
You are forgetting someone xial-kun, she was already in love with Kazuto. That's why is way unrealistic she falling in love with someone else she just met in a game with a couple of hours. Again, it's not impossible, but it is unrealistic.

But she wasnt truly in love with Kazuto yet.
The one she fall in love inside the game is the same person she liked IRL.That made her love BOTH.

ss-kun sounds a bit wrong.At least add the j so it wont sound like the nazi elite unit.
Nov 8, 2012 6:00 PM
Oct 2012
Niyawa said:
You are forgetting something xial-kun, she was already in love with Kazuto. That's why is way unrealistic she falling in love with someone else she just met in a game with a couple of hours. Again, it's not impossible, but it is unrealistic.

@ss-kun
I know that, again, this is just a point of view.

It may be unrealistic, but love doesn't have to be realistic.
And like I said, was pretty entertaining to read.

It made for an interesting and funny story. Suguha playing together with Kirito and slowly falling for him while not realising that he is in fact her brother and getting her heart crushed in the end.

Kawahara didn't get money when he wrote this, so it was not to "sell" the incest.
Nov 8, 2012 6:00 PM

Jan 2011
ssjokg said:
But she wasn't truly in love with Kazuto yet.

I'm asking myself how I was supposed to know that. The anime makes clear she had a crush on him.
Nov 8, 2012 6:01 PM

Mar 2012
Niyawa said:
You are forgetting someone xial-kun, she was already in love with Kazuto. That's why is way unrealistic she falling in love with someone else she just met in a game with a couple of hours. Again, it's not impossible, but it is unrealistic.

Is xial-kun supposed to be me? That's a really awkward Easternization, to be honest.

And yes, I do agree that it's a bit annoying that she's falling in love with Kirito when she already likes Kazuto. But doesn't it make sense that she's looking for someone else? A little unrealistic with the timing, maybe, but my original problem with the situation was that she hadn't gotten past her sibling-love-crush-thing with Kirito being comatose and all (since two years is plenty of time to find someone else she can have a normal romantic relationship with). Now she's finally "found" someone like a normal person would after realizing that the incest thing isn't going to be reciprocated. Except not. Oops.
Nov 8, 2012 6:01 PM

Mar 2012
He's good with his sword.
Nov 8, 2012 6:02 PM

Sep 2009
To the OP, the two grew up together as you know so she has known Kirito her whole life. It is quite possible she acquired feelings for him during that time, not just when he was trapped in SAO or in this arc.
LunaNov 9, 2012 9:13 AM

Nov 8, 2012 6:06 PM

Jul 2012
The question was "Why does Suguha like Kirito?". Not "Why does she like Kazuto?"
LunaNov 9, 2012 9:13 AM
Nov 8, 2012 6:07 PM

Mar 2012
BloodRequiem said:

Computer genius as in he was obsessed with virtual reality games and stuff. It's hinted that he does more than just play them since his aunt/mother said something about his acquiring her love of computers. And if he got distant from Suguha and quit kendo simply by turning into a typical video game nerd, that would be a little sad.

meepsheep said:
The question was "Why does Suguha like Kirito?". Not "Why does she like Kazuto?"

Actually, it would be more accurate as "Why does she like Kazuto?" since the question is more about him as the onii-chan if not as a whole person than just about his in-game elf self. It's just that most people know him as and refer to him as Kirito regardless of context.
Nov 8, 2012 6:08 PM

Jan 2011
whatever123456 said:
It may be unrealistic, but love doesn't have to be realistic.And like I said, was pretty entertaining to read.

It's indeed entertaining. But I was talking about consistency, that is what was lacking.
Nov 8, 2012 6:08 PM

Aug 2009
xuezhi said:
To the OP, the two grew up together as you know so she has known Kirito her whole life. It is quite possible she acquired feelings for him during that time, not just when he was trapped in SAO or in this arc.
Except that she didnt.She "fall in love" with him AFTER he woke up and she met Kirito.
Niyawa said:
ssjokg said:
But she wasn't truly in love with Kazuto yet.

I'm asking myself how I was supposed to know that. The anime makes clear she had a crush on him.

I do realize that the anime fails to explain anything.The OP wanted an explanation which probably meant an explanation from the LN since the anime as you said had none.So I, from my first post to the last ,use LN info not anime.
SAO isnt the first adaption that fails at giving out info ,where the fans are forced to use the original to explain things.
LunaNov 9, 2012 9:14 AM
Nov 8, 2012 6:13 PM

Nov 2009
ssjokg said:

She first confirms her feelings for Kirito and later for Kazuto.
Conclusion:Sugu is just a normal teen(if you take out the incest) that cant tell wtf she is feeling about the boy next to her be it Kirito or Kazuto.

Pretty much this. Confused by her feelings for Kazuto between love and devotion aiming to recover their relationship as a brother and sister.. Because see how Kazuto suddenly changed and ignoring Saguha one day when they were young and as they grew up the distance grew as well but Saguha wanted to close that gap (because Kazuto found out the truth that their not real siblings too early at that time). and how suddenly hearing your parents say that your brother isn't your real sibling suddenly made everything she was feeling more complicated.
Nov 8, 2012 6:14 PM

Jan 2011
ssjokg said:
I do realize that the anime fails ti explain anything.The OP wanted an explanation which probably meant an explanation from the LN since the anime as you said none.So I, from my first post to the last ,use LN info not anime.
SAO isnt the first adaption that fails at giving out info where the fans are forced to use the original to explain things.

As long as you understand.
Nov 8, 2012 6:18 PM

Sep 2010
ataraxial said:
There has to be something I'm missing, because it can't be normal to fall in love with a comatose brother / cousin. Or a brother / cousin who just got out of a coma. Or a brother / cousin who was distant from absorbing himself in virtual reality video games before even going comatose. Going even further back, Suguha would be too young (at most 8) for actual romantic attraction.

And this is all ignoring the Westermarck effect even though they were raised up together. Since we're talking about anime. From Japan. But the thing is that Suguha liking Kirito doesn't really make sense even if we ignore the fact that they are related and spent the first few years of their lives together.

Did the LN explain this at all?

Edit: Inb4 "because SAO is sexist."

Yep they did, some people answered your question already.. don't know why the haters want to complicate things and just say whatever they want because they hate it to such an extent..
ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
Nov 8, 2012 6:20 PM

Sep 2009
meepsheep said:

Well, since they are one in the same they have the same characteristics. Wouldn't you like someone you just met who has the same characteristics as the person you do like? Also. it is easier for me to remember Kirito thank Kazuto. Most of the time when his name comes up in the LN it is Kirito, not Kazuto.
LunaNov 9, 2012 9:15 AM

Nov 8, 2012 6:20 PM

Jan 2011
omfgugay said:
Yep they did, some people answered your question already.. don't know why the haters want to complicate things and just say whatever they want because they hate it to such an extent..

Are we reading the same thread? I don't see haters here.
Nov 8, 2012 6:23 PM

Mar 2012
Niyawa said:
omfgugay said:

Are we reading the same thread? I don't see haters here.

Yeah, the closest to trolling/hate in this thread is probably the guy's username.
Nov 8, 2012 6:24 PM

Oct 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:

If you actually watched the show it's not anywhere near 50, and they do have a reason.

SAO is not a harem, yet again.
Nov 8, 2012 6:26 PM

Jan 2011
vbyo said:

It is though. Discuss.
Nov 8, 2012 6:27 PM

Mar 2012
vbyo said:
If you actually watched the show it's not anywhere near 50, and they do have a reason.

Can we leave the harem debate out of this thread?

Also, off-topic, but why is my post count decreasing? I can't stand losing internet points.
Nov 8, 2012 6:29 PM

Jan 2011
ataraxial said:
Also, off-topic, but why is my post count decreasing? I can't stand losing internet points.

Your posts are being deleted maybe? I can't see another reason.
Nov 8, 2012 6:31 PM

Oct 2012
Niyawa said:
vbyo said:

It is though. Discuss.

I won't bring it into here, but when someone implies it is I can't help but argue the point.
Nov 8, 2012 6:31 PM

Mar 2012
Niyawa said:
vbyo said:

It is though. Discuss.

Lol okay. We can discuss it if you want.
Can we just call it a semi-tasteful harem? Like without some of the negative connotations? But definitely multiple-girls-liking-a-single-guy nonetheless? Asuna and Kirito being an official couple hardly changes the fact that at least five girls have fallen to his pheromones.

Niyawa said:
Your posts are being deleted maybe? I can't see another reason.

I guess so... I was just wondering if it's something that other people have seen happen a lot.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.