Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 18, 2013 7:37 PM

Mar 2011
^ she like didn't even chew, she literally inhaled them lol

Edit: and now I had to go grab some cookies from the kitchen, because you can't talk about cookies without wanting cookies.
VannaBeeJul 18, 2013 7:40 PM
Jul 18, 2013 8:44 PM

Aug 2008
Oooo, the quote I've always wanted to see:

If there’s one thing Monty Oum wants his audience to know, it’s that RWBY is anime.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/07/12/feature-inside-rooster-teeths-rwby

Of all the people most credible to determine what is anime or not --- the CREATOR HIMSELF. Man, I wish I came across this faster.
KyuuALJul 18, 2013 8:52 PM
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jul 18, 2013 8:53 PM

Jul 2011
I'm glad the voice acting has improved, that was one of my biggest problems with the trailers.

Inhaling the cookies looked weird, but at the same time, I laughed.

I agree, while the lip synchronization doesn't have to be perfect, there were times it wasn't even close.

The story... It's hard to tell after one episode, but like Kyuu said, it just seemed like it was being way too assertive, especially for a first episode. Maybe they are trying to pull in viewers for the first episode, but in the future, I hope the plot isn't as 'jumpy' as this episode was.

Otherwise, pretty cool and I'll definitely be waiting for next episode.
Jul 19, 2013 1:54 AM

Apr 2012
It seems Monty himself is retarded too, well, who cares. By definition it's not anime. So it's not.

I think everything was great, especially the fights. But I think they should work a bit on their faces. They change TOO FAST. But I can't say the quality of the expressions are bad, they're actually REALLY GOOD FOR ME, HAHA. I just love Ruby's personality.

Can't wait for the next episode.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jul 19, 2013 2:29 AM

Aug 2008
Immahnoob said:
It seems Monty himself is retarded too, well, who cares. By definition it's not anime. So it's not.

Monty Oum said:
Some believe just like Scotch needs to be made in Scotland, an American company can’t make anime. I think that’s a narrow way of seeing it. Anime is an art form, and to say only one country can make this art is wrong.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/07/12/feature-inside-rooster-teeths-rwby

I'm just glad that now someone with a level of fame is saying these things. About freaking time.

This time. I am glad that there is a FANBASE ready to accept the concept of American-made anime; and there's nothing you can do about it - other than not support the product.

Immahnoob said:
Can't wait for the next episode.

For bashing the creator, you have no right. If you have a problem with American made anime, then you boycott it.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

Jul 19, 2013 3:07 AM

Apr 2012
I have all the rights I want, son. Sorry.

And this isn't anime, it's a cartoon.

Autocrat said:
Jul 19, 2013 3:26 AM

Aug 2012
Epic episode. Red is too awesome!
Jul 19, 2013 3:54 AM

Jul 2007
Great episode(although its the second one when things start to get interesting).

Voice acting has improved A LOT and Red's personality so far is spot on - someone who can appear playful and is a bit of an airhead, but at the same time quite focused. She did come out way better than I expected, but it will be interesting to learn her motivations.

Yang also got introduced, although her certain personality aspects are still not fleshed out

And yeah the episode suffered from pilot-itis, but it will most likely even out.

Anyway, we will get more background story next week, as well as introduction to best girl Weiss(who is going to be a wee bit polarizing character) and second best girl Blake.

Also - "not based on fairytales" my ass - let's see we have a world which had a huge battle between humanity and "creatures of grimm", we have Ruby Rose, we have Glinda and we all know who gets introduced next week. Seems pretty damn fairytale filled to me. Does this smell like "fairytale creatures versus fairytale characters" or what?
Jul 19, 2013 3:57 AM

Apr 2012
Monty Oum just loves saying "NAH, I JUST TOOK THE NAMES, THEY DON'T LOOK ALIKE." for no reason, why is it a problem? I'm certain MOST people LOVE these type of guesses and shoutouts.

Like seriously, it's like he doesn't want this to have the maximum success.

Glinda even looks the same like in the fairy tale -_-.

Autocrat said:
Jul 19, 2013 4:06 AM
Apr 2013
Why is Red seems weaker when compared to the trailer?

Anyway, cant wait for the next episode.
Jul 19, 2013 4:43 AM

Dec 2012
ruby bby <3

the voice acting is better now. i still think ruby's voice is too high and i don't like it at all (probably because i always imagined her as the cool one and not as the hyper one), but yeah. the other voices are okay.

did anyone else think that the orange-haired guy at the beginning looked a bit like alex delarge from 'a clockwork orange'? at least that was my first thought when i saw him.

awesome music as expected.

all in all it was an interesting start. i'll definitely keep watching it, but i'm not as hyped as i was when i saw the trailers for the first time. but never judge a show by its first episode. maybe it'll get pretty epic.
Jul 19, 2013 5:19 AM

Feb 2010
KyuuAL said:
Well, despite my claim and stance on RWBY as anime

It's not. You know we've been through this already.
Jul 19, 2013 7:06 AM

Aug 2008
Akito_Kinomoto said:
KyuuAL said:

Nope, we're only getting started. My side of the argument heavily depends on the success of this series. Hopefully, others will follow Monty Oum's path, where someday, we're not just talking about one person creating American anime.

Also, what if RWBY characters cosplay as Touhous:

worldeditor11 said:
Why is Red seems weaker when compared to the trailer?

Anyway, cant wait for the next episode.

Not enough Level-ups :3

If you notice, she and Yellow had only just entered Huntress Academy.

Jul 19, 2013 7:15 AM

Apr 2012
It's impossible to create "American" anime as anime must be from Japan. Your side of the argument does not exist then, as long as your argument depends on chances it's not even an argument.

So you've lost.

Autocrat said:
Jul 19, 2013 7:18 AM
Apr 2013
Rwby is a cartoon.
Jul 19, 2013 7:39 AM

Aug 2008
One thing that is deserving is a special nod to Lindsay Tuggey, voice of Ruby Rose, as she was outstanding! In the trailers we only briefly were able to hear Ruby during the Yellow trailer, which didn’t give great insight into what she would sound like. Hearing her in this episode was an absolute joy as the character portrayed a sense of adorable joy and what I have decided to call raging badassitude.

http://gnnaz.com/2013/07/18/review-rwby-premiere-episode/

I have to say. My ear for voice acting isn't very sharp; but I'll definitely agree to this comment, especially when Ruby was talking about becoming a Huntress. That part was definitely adorable. :3

Jul 19, 2013 12:32 PM

Jul 2007
Implying that certain forms of art or certain genres only can come from certain countries sounds like racism to me.

What's next? "Its not heavy metal if its not British?", "It's not a cartoon if its not from USA?".

The goal of RWBY is clear - creating anime style show.And that goal has been achieved. And that's all I'll say on this topic.

And yeah, Ruby's voice was better than expected. Everyone's was.

LOL-ed real hard at that FMA reference:
AhenshihaelJul 19, 2013 1:52 PM
Jul 19, 2013 1:52 PM

Feb 2010
KyuuAL said:
Akito_Kinomoto said:
KyuuAL said:

Nope, we're only getting started. My side of the argument heavily depends on the success of this series. Hopefully, others will follow Monty Oum's path, where someday, we're not just talking about one person creating American anime.

I'll link back to that other thread from AS again, all day everyday.
Jul 19, 2013 3:55 PM

Apr 2013
Watched the first episode twice; I loved it so much. Laughed hard when Ruby said, "Are you bothering me?' and then sent the dude flying. Also, the opening song rocks; it was an awesome surprise. It'd be cool if they came out with a new song every episode.
Jul 19, 2013 4:11 PM

Aug 2008
Akito_Kinomoto said:
I'll link back to that other thread from AS again, all day everyday.

Arguing someone about this topic in there -- it's like arguing with someone there about the Second Amendment.

Jul 19, 2013 4:35 PM

Mar 2011
Fai said:

LOL-ed real hard at that FMA reference:

Holy crap! How did I miss that?
Jul 19, 2013 4:57 PM

Mar 2012
I was thoroughly impressed with the first episode. So much so, I've watched it three times already.

One of the strongest aspects of the series so far is I'm really digging the personalities Monty Oum gave our protagonists. While I was afraid we might see Cloud Strife-esque Ruby Rose, she was really cheerful, really quirky, and just downright fun to watch. Yang Xiou Long is also a fun, quirky personality that seems to compliment Ruby very well in that big sister role...although, I'm curious as to how the two of them are "sisters." I'm not sure if they mean sisters metaphorically, like soul sisters or if one or the other is adopted. They obviously aren't blood related. Either way, I really love all the personalities and the vocal performances.

Oh, and how can I forget the animation? Monty Oum has really stepped up to the plate and hit a home run with this. While this episode didn't have quite as much action as the trailers leading up to it, I'm extremely impressed with his overall body of work. I know some lip syncing issues have been pointed out. Honestly, I noticed a little bit being off...but I didn't find it "distracting." Hell, the more I watch it, it seems like the less distracting it is. I do think this is something they'll improve along as the series moves along.

The music was really good as well and it has a nice, upbeat song for a series OP (outro this time). We've seen from the trailers that this series is going to have an outstanding soundtrack with a wide variety.

My one, teensy, weensy beef with this episode is that it through everything, including the kitchen sink at us in regards to plot and setting...while at the same time having a bare-bones explanation and breakdown of the plot, setting, and characters. I call it a minor complaint because I think it's extremely unrealistic to ask RT to be able to explain all these things in a 12 minute episode (11 really if you take out the outro). Naturally, I'm one to let an anime (yes, I know this isn't an anime...I'm just using it as a point of reference) have a couple of episodes to get comfortable and set things up properly. Same with RWBY. I'm going to give it at least three or four episodes to set this series up. Do I think the writers should've slowed down the pace a bit with the first episode? Eh, I'm on the fence about it. Part of me says yes, while another part of me is saying this is still an okay setup, regardless of it being bare-bones. I will say it felt a bit rushed with how much it pushed the story along...

Overall, 9.5/10. Usually an anime (yes, I know, it's just a point of reference) has to do quite a bit to throw me into a fanboy frenzy about a series...and this series has done just that with four trailers and an episode. I can honestly consider myself a hardcore RWBY fan and as strange as this might sound, I was only introduced to this two days ago. I will have my countdown set for the next episode.
Jul 19, 2013 10:14 PM

Aug 2008
Toucanbird said:
Overall, 9.5/10. Usually an anime (yes, I know, it's just a point of reference) has to do quite a bit to throw me into a fanboy frenzy about a series...and this series has done just that with four trailers and an episode. I can honestly consider myself a hardcore RWBY fan and as strange as this might sound, I was only introduced to this two days ago. I will have my countdown set for the next episode.

More proof that RWBY is anime-enough.

:3

Jul 19, 2013 11:06 PM

Feb 2010
As one of Roosterteeth's newest projects and trying to take on a different demographic from its Halo machinima's, RWBY had a lot to live up to with four trailers. Hype is one of those things that can backfire horribly if the show is a bust.

Which makes me proud to say RWBY has started off exceptionally well. The balance between the fight scenes and day-to-day moments never clashed. The only concern is the fight scene at the end that degraded into stand-still superpowers galore.

Hopefully Roosterteeth can maintain their reputation for animating fights. The day-to-day alone might not be enough to carry what was advertised as an action series.
Jul 19, 2013 11:20 PM

Aug 2008
To further RWBY's anime image, RoosterTeeth needs to expand marketing via figures, posters, and even dakimakura -- for some sweet delicious waifu goodness.
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Hopefully Roosterteeth can maintain their reputation for animating fights. The day-to-day alone might not be enough to carry what was advertised as an action series.

Even Star Wars features some very flashy fighting -- however, the fighting is not the central element. I sure hope that will also be the case with RWBY. From what I am seeing in a few parts of the Internet, people are vested in the story.

Jul 22, 2013 2:37 AM

Apr 2011
Monty expressed his intend make it plot driven. So there is good chance.

PS: It's quite a while that I read FMA, so I didn't caught on reference. Can I ask for enlightment?
Jul 22, 2013 2:39 AM

Apr 2012
Tenzen12 said:
Monty expressed his intend make it plot driven. So there is good chance.

PS: It's quite a while that I read FMA, so I didn't caught on reference. Can I ask for enlightment?

It's Truth on the shelf with all the CDs, look at Ruby's left.

Autocrat said:
Jul 22, 2013 3:27 AM

Apr 2011
Thanks, I see it now.
Jul 22, 2013 8:30 AM

Jun 2013
Fai said:
Implying that certain forms of art or certain genres only can come from certain countries sounds like racism to me.

What's next? "Its not heavy metal if its not British?", "It's not a cartoon if its not from USA?".

The only reason why people say it isn't an anime is because the Western definition of anime is 'a cartoon from Japan' – and it doesn't fit that category. n_n Of course it's influenced by animes and holds the style of many popular animes.

The thing to remember is anime is not defined by a style. If you look at many old animes they look entirely different from the main animes we see today, so you can't say something's an anime because of its style.

e.g: This is an anime:
Jul 22, 2013 8:58 AM

Aug 2008
UndercoverZebra said:
The only reason why people say it isn't an anime is because the Western definition of anime is 'a cartoon from Japan' – and it doesn't fit that category. n_n Of course it's influenced by animes and holds the style of many popular animes.

The thing to remember is anime is not defined by a style. If you look at many old animes they look entirely different from the main animes we see today, so you can't say something's an anime because of its style.

Read this please:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anime#Etymology_1

I've come to realize. People tend to struggle with the "uncountable", because as many say: it is confusing. Personally, I cannot describe the anime-style myself; but I know what it looks like when I see it. I happen to have a problem with static definitions, because they are restrictive and exclusive. Because it is so hard, people take the geographical definition, without considering any technical merit. Unfortunately, that's a crying shame.

Now, here's a very attractive image of Weiss. It doesn't look like Monty Oum's work, so it must have been a fan artist. Was the person who drew this piece Japanese or American (or someone else)?

KyuuALJul 22, 2013 9:08 AM

Jul 22, 2013 9:07 AM

Aug 2008
As a bonus, here's Ruby - going nuts:

Jul 22, 2013 9:09 AM

Jul 2007
UndercoverZebra said:
Fai said:

e.g: This is an anime:

the meaning of term "anime" differs in japan and in western world.

In japan its used to refer to ALL animation, while western world specifically uses that term to refer to certain style of works
Jul 22, 2013 11:27 AM

Apr 2012
Kyuu, the funny thing is that you don't understand what your mistake is, that's why I keep on mocking you, because you're blind.

The thing is, it's not the problem of calling "RWBY" an Anime, but the problem of excluding other cartoons as Anime.

Let me explain myself properly, if you say "All cartoons are Anime" you are not wrong, if you say "Only Japanese animations are Anime" this isn't wrong either.

But if you say "There's Japanese Anime, American Anime then there are cartoons.", here you are completely wrong. If you want to embrace the idea of the Japanese which is "All cartoons are Anime for us." (because Anime is translated as cartoon for them), it's fine by everybody. If you want to say "Japanese animation are the only anime" again, you can do whatever you want.

But never ever pick a middle ground that does not exist. That's called contradiction. Not making a DIFFERENCE between cartoons and anime YET putting them together and accepting both is COMPLETELY WRONG. It's a case of not taking sides (or "having your cake") and a contradiction.

Autocrat said:
Jul 22, 2013 4:10 PM

Aug 2008
YES, COOKIES!

Immahnoob said:
Let me explain myself properly, if you say "All cartoons are Anime" you are not wrong, if you say "Only Japanese animations are Anime" this isn't wrong either.

Even I don't do that. There are examples of what is anime vs not anime, from my side of the argument. The difference is: some things labeled as "anime", actually look more "cartoony". My posterchild example of that is Crayon Shin-chan, which is far more comparable to Adventure Time, than Attack on Titan.

Jul 22, 2013 5:13 PM

Mar 2011

The many faces of Ruby.

Monty released this image long before the premiere of the series, after seeing her personality in the first episode, these expressions make so much more sense.
Jul 22, 2013 5:22 PM

Aug 2008
VannaBee said:

The many faces of Ruby.

Hmm. Save image, and upload to Imgur, or some other image hosting site.

Jul 22, 2013 5:24 PM

Mar 2011
Is the image not working?
Jul 22, 2013 5:29 PM

Mar 2011
here's a link to the original image posted to his twitter account here
Jul 22, 2013 5:44 PM

Aug 2008
Gosh dang it. Now I'm starting to view Ruby as waifu material.

XD

Jul 22, 2013 5:46 PM

Jul 2013
The animation looks really terrible. Like wannabe MMD.

And the voice-acting and dialog are terrible.

Couldn't make it more than a few minutes in.
Jul 22, 2013 5:51 PM

Mar 2011
Jamie_Estevez said:

Sounds like it's not your cup of tea.

Oh well, not everybody's going to love it.
Jul 22, 2013 6:22 PM

Aug 2008
VannaBee said:
Jamie_Estevez said:

Sounds like it's not your cup of tea.

Oh well, not everybody's going to love it.

Yup, the general rule applies. For every media item, there will be always those who like it and those who don't like it.

Jul 23, 2013 1:17 AM

Apr 2012
KyuuAL said:

Even I don't do that. There are examples of what is anime vs not anime, from my side of the argument. The difference is: some things labeled as "anime", actually look more "cartoony". My posterchild example of that is Crayon Shin-chan, which is far more comparable to Adventure Time, than Attack on Titan.

And that's where you once again make the same mistake. GG WP, keep on losing.

Autocrat said:
Jul 23, 2013 1:30 AM

Aug 2008
Immahnoob said:

Nope, not a mistake based on Technical Merit - something I'm coining for the time being. And yes, I'm aware of Definition 2 - the one that you keep pulling out of your ass.

Like I said, I'm going at a direction -- that you can't even comprehend or imagine.
KyuuALJul 23, 2013 1:33 AM

Jul 23, 2013 1:34 AM

Apr 2012
KyuuAL said:
Immahnoob said:

Nope, not a mistake based on Technical Merit - something I'm coining for the time being. And yes, I'm aware of Definition 2 - the one that you keep pulling out of your ass.

Of course you are wrong, there is no real definition on Anime style, or at least style that everybody can define as "anime", there is no objective way of putting it especially with the difference between art style you can see in many anime.

And nah, the definitions come out of dictionaries, you know, those things you don't use, and not stuff like wiktionary that anybody can edit out.

Autocrat said:
Jul 23, 2013 1:44 AM

Aug 2008
Immahnoob said:
Of course you are wrong, there is no real definition on Anime style, or at least style that everybody can define as "anime", there is no objective way of putting it especially with the difference between art style you can see in many anime.

And nah, the definitions come out of dictionaries, you know, those things you don't use, and not stuff like wiktionary that anybody can edit out.

Well, then. I dare you to edit out Wiktionary yourself; personally, I'd doubt you'll be allowed to do that, because on the Talk Page: the definition in Wiktionary is the accepted one over there. Then there's Webster's dictionary that explicitly describes anime as a "style".

Also, that "no such anime style" argument was given to me many years ago. My rebuttal to that -- quit being lazy and relying on a COP-OUT; and actually, THINK for once. Unlike the "anime from Japan" definition, it may actually take a bit of research, writing, and work to actually describe the anime style. I've been at this argument on-and-off since 2006. Even now, I still can't fully describe the anime style; the concept is a work in progress, by which I actually need more examples coming out of the United States.

For now, we function based on: "We know what anime is, when we see it." Because I have to ask you, if you see something that looks like anime -- AND -- you have no damned clue where it came from -- what do you do then? Assume that it is not anime? Pfft.

Yea, it's very very EASY to label "anime as Japan" only. It's so easy, y'really don't even have to think about it. Y'just react; and that's why my argument is so upsetting to a lot of people, like yourself.

Jul 23, 2013 1:45 AM

Aug 2008
KyuuAL said:
Was the person who drew this piece Japanese or American (or someone else)?

Finally, is this an anime-styled drawing or not? Again, my answer is: I don't know; but it's good enough to view it as anime-styled. I simply picked something out of Google images. Naturally, I'd choose mai waifu.

Jul 23, 2013 2:16 AM

Apr 2012
KyuuAL said:

For now, we function based on: "We know what anime is, when we see it." Because I have to ask you, if you see something that looks like anime -- AND -- you have no damned clue where it came from -- what do you do then? Assume that it is not anime? Pfft.

This is an argument of emotion, thus it's not a functioning argument, also I am certain that I can tell you which one is made in Japan and which isn't quite easily.
KyuuAL said:
Yea, it's very very EASY to label "anime as Japan" only. It's so easy, y'really don't even have to think about it. Y'just react; and that's why my argument is so upsetting to a lot of people, like yourself.

No, that's not the reason you're being mocked, the reason is you're filling pages and pages with your own crap that nobody agrees with, mostly like the Autocrat did while having no argument, I'm one of the reasons he left MAL.

Also, the whole point of a definition is to give a meaning to a word, if the meaning is contradictory in itself or it does not work then it's a faulty definition. Don't ever forget that you can go against the authority called the dictionary, but you also need an argument and I already explained why picking a middle ground does not work.
KyuuAL said:
KyuuAL said:
Was the person who drew this piece Japanese or American (or someone else)?

Finally, is this an anime-styled drawing or not? Again, my answer is: I don't know; but it's good enough to view it as anime-styled. I simply picked something out of Google images. Naturally, I'd choose mai waifu.

My answer is "no". I don't see anything "anime" there, mostly because it's a picture not an animation. Now let's think of White in RWBY, what is so "anime" about her? Her eyes? (which, by the way, are a lot more realistic in this picture) Her body is well proportioned which isn't really "anime style", actually, you can't even define "anime style", they say it's "exaggerated physical features such as large eyes, big hair and elongated limbs... and dramatically shaped speech bubbles, speed lines and onomatopoeic, exclamatory typography.", which isn't even wrote by a Japanese or someone that has authority, it's a random article made by a random.

P.S. Waifus aren't exclusively anime, there's nowhere saying that you can't have a "waifu" in a cartoon.
KyuuAL said:
Like I said, I'm going at a direction -- that you can't even comprehend or imagine.

And that's where you fail, if you can't even give an explanation to why your argument is true then it's only an assertion.

Autocrat said:
Jul 23, 2013 2:35 AM
Apr 2013
Actually, i have been wondering Kyuu, why would you want rwby in particular and other american cartoons to be classified as anime?
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
7 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7562 by KingVamp_ »»
11 hours ago

» cardi b fans unite

batslimeman - Apr 18

1 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Yesterday, 10:46 AM

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3381 by SilentAssassin88 »»
Yesterday, 10:23 AM

» Duet Songs Recommendations?

Iroas - Apr 21

2 by Zettaiken »»
Yesterday, 6:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.