Forum Settings
Forums

What is your favorite anime licensing company?

New
Nov 6, 2012 8:24 PM
Oct 2012
Personally, I enjoy several of them including ADV, Geneon, Bandai, and Central Park, but those are all out of business. My current favorite would have to be Discotek due to their licensing of older titles that have never gotten a release in the U.S. or the license expired.
Nov 6, 2012 8:26 PM
Nov 2010
can i say none?.... they block online viewer :P
Hi
Nov 6, 2012 8:35 PM

Aug 2012
I lol'd but I agree with him.

Basically licensing companies are just giant cockblocks.
rodacSep 1, 2015 7:19 PM
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Nov 6, 2012 8:37 PM

Mar 2012

If only I'd gotten here sooner. You stole my line.

I have anime from Central Park, Funimation, Manga, and ADV, and I can't really pick a favorite out of those. Funimation has the best-quality dub tracks, but that's mostly an age thing as every other release I own was dubbed before 2000.

Goryo said:

I'd do the same thing if you were stealing from me.
I can't completely absolve myself of guilt, though.
I've watched plenty of streams and will continue to do so, but I still buy what I can when I can because I'd at least like to feel like I'm contributing and obeying the law.
Not to mention I like having stuff.
rodacSep 1, 2015 7:20 PM
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Nov 6, 2012 8:38 PM
Sep 2012

Well, that escalated quickly.
Goryo said:

Pretty much this, one reason why i don't/can't watch streamed anime.
rodacSep 1, 2015 7:21 PM
Nov 6, 2012 8:39 PM
Nov 2010
magmalord said:
zenitro said:

Sorry, I don't speak to people with weeaboo newfag syndrome. Come back when you want to support the industry, or watch a good dub once in a while.

wow nice insulting without getting the truth^^

i do buy dvd of anime i like
u do know how DVD dun come out WAYYYYYY after the tv release right?

and some dub juz spoil the entire atmosphere
Hi
Nov 6, 2012 8:43 PM

Jun 2007
Geneon was...but sadly they aren't around anymore. They weren't afraid of licensing niche titles and also had some pretty great dubs (though many ones like all the rest as well) and most of the shows were done with different studios - so you don't find many geneon titles with the same actors/actresses. And, even their bad dubs all had a lot of character to them.

I really liked the fact that they brought over so many titles that nobody else would bother with, bad business decision - but really showed they cared about the fanbase.

However, I buy from all of them.

As for the kid saying they "block online viewers" that's wrong - most of them have all the episodes online for FREE of many shows, AND there's CrunchyRoll which is entirely legit and very cheap for what you get - and given 90% of fansubs are based on crunchy's subs you've got no room to complain. As for the time they take, they are THE FIRST release on almost every show within an hour or less of the episode airing in Japan.

Whining that mommy won't pay for your anime subscription so STEALING it being blocked by a licensing company makes them "bad" is hilarious. They give you a billion options to watch for free or cheap.
TallonKarrde23Nov 6, 2012 8:48 PM
Nov 6, 2012 8:44 PM

Feb 2010
I guess Bandai/Beez and Manga, but I also got some ADV stuff.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 6, 2012 8:45 PM

Nov 2010
zenitro said:
Doesn't Funimation have their own Youtube channel with free to watch series and have free series to watch on Hulu?
Nov 6, 2012 8:47 PM

Mar 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
zenitro said:
Doesn't Funimation have their own Youtube channel with free to watch series and have free series to watch on Hulu?

As well as their own website.
Nov 6, 2012 8:47 PM
Oct 2012
in terms of animation and qualiy id have to say Type-Moon and Funimation
Nov 6, 2012 8:48 PM

Jun 2007
whitesox123 said:

W-what? Type-Moon has never animated anything, and neither has Funimation.
Nov 6, 2012 8:50 PM

Mar 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
whitesox123 said:

Nah, dude, that's why Funimation's releases take so long. They re-draw every single frame.
Nov 6, 2012 8:51 PM

Jun 2007
Negative-Travis said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
whitesox123 said:

Nah, dude, that's why Funimation's releases take so long. They re-draw every single frame.

No wonder they can't afford new voice actors!
Nov 6, 2012 8:51 PM
Oct 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
whitesox123 said:

ADV produced a Ruroni Kenshin OVA, and Central Park have produced MD Geist II. A little fun fact.
Nov 6, 2012 8:52 PM

Mar 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Negative-Travis said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
whitesox123 said:

No wonder they can't afford new voice actors!
Exactly!
Not that I really mind the standard rotation. Call me what you will.
The only actor I really tire of is Greg Ayers, just like everyone else.
Nov 6, 2012 8:53 PM

Sep 2010
magmalord said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
whitesox123 said:

ADV produced a Ruroni Kenshin OVA, and Central Park have produced MD Geist II. A little fun fact.

Type-Moon has never animated anything, and neither has Funimation.

ADV and CPM didn't animate anything either.

Fun fact; Producing =/= animating

Nov 6, 2012 8:54 PM

Jun 2007
magmalord said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
whitesox123 said:

Paying for a studio to do something is not the same as animating it. ADV has never animated anything, neither has any other licensing company - let alone Funimation...and Type Moon isn't a licensing company nor have they animated anything but their VN openings. Licensing companies have helped financially back some things but never animated anything.

Negative-Travis said:

Not that I really mind the standard rotation. Call me what you will.
The only actor I really tire of is Greg Ayers, just like everyone else.

I honestly don't mind them either, I actually kind of like recognizing the voices from show to show because it gives me a silly connection to the previous roles they've done. Same with seiyuu really.
Nov 6, 2012 8:58 PM
Oct 2012
magmalord said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
whitesox123 said:

woops well i like those companies so there
Nov 7, 2012 6:42 AM
Feb 2012
None of those you listed :S
Nov 7, 2012 6:47 AM

May 2012
Goryo said:
magmalord said:
zenitro said:

Sorry, I don't speak 12 year old faggot.

So you claim they're cockblocking when they bring you anime you wouldn't legally get otherwise? That's not at all pathetic of you...
Nov 7, 2012 7:21 AM

Sep 2010
Was Bandai, but they are no more over here so Sentai since they got Clannad, Hakuouki, and Mawaru Penguindrum.

Although I wish the voice directors would pay attention more cause one moment the VA would be saying a name correctly then the next they would totally mispronounce it. I noticed this in Clannad and watching a dub clip of Hakuouki's first episode.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 7, 2012 7:32 AM

Sep 2012
4 Kids
Nov 7, 2012 2:25 PM

Sep 2010
IcecreamManwich said:
Goryo said:
magmalord said:
zenitro said:

So you claim they're cockblocking when they bring you anime you wouldn't legally get otherwise? That's not at all pathetic of you...

Quick question. Who needs anime brought to them legally? The fact the distributors are a business means that they are the ones that need said legal anime in order to function, fans on the other hand do not.

Nov 7, 2012 2:55 PM

Aug 2012
IcecreamManwich said:
Goryo said:
magmalord said:
zenitro said:

Sorry... what was that? I can't hear you over the sound of this awesome free anime.

mattbenz99 said:
Nov 7, 2012 3:13 PM

Aug 2009
magmalord said:
Personally, I enjoy several of them including ADV, Geneon, Bandai, and Central Park, but those are all out of business. My current favorite would have to be Discotek due to their licensing of older titles that have never gotten a release in the U.S. or the license expired.

Funimation. They license and dub a lot of my favorite anime.
Nov 7, 2012 3:40 PM
Oct 2012
Goryo said:
IcecreamManwich said:
Goryo said:
magmalord said:
zenitro said:

Sorry... what was that? I can't hear you over the sound of this awesome free anime.

Yes, but what about if you want to have anime in a physical form of media, so if the internet stops working you can watch it, or if you don't want to watch something on your computer screen in true 1080p at 60 frames per second while watching Redline, Akira, or some other nice looking anime movie that has a lot of movement
Nov 7, 2012 3:42 PM

Mar 2011
Funimation since I find their dubs to be of the highest quality.
Nov 7, 2012 3:48 PM

Aug 2012
magmalord said:
Yes, but what about if you want to have anime in a physical form of media, so if the internet stops working you can watch it, or if you don't want to watch something on your computer screen in true 1080p at 60 frames per second while watching Redline, Akira, or some other nice looking anime movie that has a lot of movement

I'm going to assume you're talking about streaming, because torrents have none of those problems.

mattbenz99 said:
Nov 7, 2012 3:49 PM

Mar 2012
magmalord said:
Goryo said:

Or, better yet, get that great analog feel from watching something older on a laserdisc and CRT.

Kids these days with their need for instant gratification and unyielding sense of entitlement.
Am I the only one that still feels a sense of accomplishment when I have to work for some of my anime by searching around and then paying for it with my hard-earned money?
I still think my laserdisc player is the coolest thing ever.
Nov 7, 2012 3:49 PM

Sep 2010
TowardsTheStars said:

That's like saying McDonalds has the highest quality food. Their shit is cheap and relatively easy for the general public to get into.

Dubs produced in LA are high quality due to using higher quality actors.

Nov 7, 2012 3:53 PM

Aug 2012
Negative-Travis said:
Kids these days with their need for instant gratification and unyielding sense of entitlement.
Am I the only one that still feels a sense of accomplishment when I have to work for some of my anime by searching around and then paying for it with my hard-earned money?

Getting anime for free makes me self-entitled? Hardly.

It's free and very easy to obtain. Why wouldn't I take advantage of it?

mattbenz99 said:
Nov 7, 2012 4:21 PM

Mar 2012
Goryo said:
Negative-Travis said:

Getting anime for free makes me self-entitled? Hardly.

It's free and very easy to obtain. Why wouldn't I take advantage of it?

It's a moral argument from here on out so I won't bother, but I can't in good conscience watch all the anime I want without paying for at least a little of it.
Nov 7, 2012 4:58 PM

Aug 2009
Anime_Name said:
TowardsTheStars said:

That's like saying McDonalds has the highest quality food. Their shit is cheap and relatively easy for the general public to get into.

Do you actually watch dubs?
Nov 7, 2012 5:20 PM

Jul 2012
I gotta say Funimation I know this site doesn't like dubs but I dont care I like dubs & subs and Funi makes my favorite series available to purchase and I appreciate them for that.
Nov 7, 2012 5:38 PM

Jun 2011
Tvking00 said:
I gotta say Funimation I know this site doesn't like dubs but I dont care I like dubs & subs and Funi makes my favorite series available to purchase and I appreciate them for that.

You actually think MAL is one person?
Nov 7, 2012 5:40 PM

Jul 2012
FastWheels said:
Tvking00 said:

You actually think MAL is one person?

No I was talking about the majority I know its not 1 entity
Nov 7, 2012 5:45 PM

Jul 2008
Goryo
The question is What is your favorite anime licensing company? not do you like anime licensing companies so please fuck off. Your posts do not add anything to this forum so just shut the fuck up ... It's like coming to this site and saying anime sucks... It's also very easy to get legally so why are you doing it the selfish, who cares about the creators way? Do you have no knowledge of when support it, it causes it to grow and for there to be more? It's ok if you sneak some every so often cause it isn't available but just saying who cares if I do, is very closed minded of other who actually care about anime and to those who made it.
Nov 7, 2012 5:54 PM

Feb 2009
Mow123 said:
Goryo
The question is What is your favorite anime licensing company? not do you like anime licensing companies so please fuck off. Your posts do not add anything to this forum so just shut the fuck up ... It's like coming to this site and saying anime sucks... It's also very easy to get legally so why are you doing it the selfish, who cares about the creators way? Do you have no knowledge of when support it, it causes it to grow and for there to be more? It's ok if you sneak some every so often cause it isn't available but just saying who cares if I do, is very closed minded of other who actually care about anime and to those who made it.

Taking things a little bit too serious. He has the right to say that he doesn't have a favorite anime licensing company, even if some his posts are a little off topic. You complaining accomplishes... guess what... NOTHING.
Nov 7, 2012 5:56 PM

Mar 2012
LordSenate said:
Mow123 said:
Goryo

Taking things a little bit too serious. He has the right to say that he doesn't have a favorite anime licensing company, even if some his posts are a little off topic. You complaining accomplishes... guess what... NOTHING.

Neither did your pointing all of this out.
Good job.
And neither did this very post. Quick, everyone, join in the circlejerk!
Nov 7, 2012 6:02 PM

Jul 2010
I voted Geneon. If I had another option, I would also go with ADV.

Miss these guys.
Nov 7, 2012 6:28 PM

Feb 2009
Negative-Travis said:
LordSenate said:
Mow123 said:
Goryo

Neither did your pointing all of this out.
Good job.
And neither did this very post. Quick, everyone, join in the circlejerk!

I couldn't help myself though.. =( ..

In my defense most of my posts accomplish nothing, so at least I am consistent.

Circlejerk gooooo!
Nov 8, 2012 5:48 AM

Sep 2010
Negative-Travis said:
magmalord said:

Or, better yet, get that great analog feel from watching something older on a laserdisc and CRT.

I agree I like how it feels to buy anime with my own money and going home to pop it into my PS3. Same with video games and when it comes to my other hobbies too. =D

I mean if you are going to pirate at least contribute something like buying figurines or a wall scroll of your favorite series. In my opinion your not a real anime fan if all you do is leach and not give at least $1 to the people who worked hard on the series you enjoy.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 8, 2012 5:56 AM
Nov 8, 2012 7:11 AM
Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
TowardsTheStars said:

>McDonalds

Stopped reading there.
Nov 8, 2012 10:31 AM

Apr 2012
I prefer Funimation since many of my favorite dubs are done by them, plus their DVD's are very modestly priced.

As I'm no dub expert (as is, most likely, no one else here), I don't mind the occasional miscast VA or the occasional mispronunciation of a name, etc.

But hey, this is coming from a guy who personally though that the Higurashi English dub was pretty good...

Nov 8, 2012 10:41 AM

Sep 2010
AngelicTsundere said:
Anime_Name said:
TowardsTheStars said:

>McDonalds

Stopped reading there.

It's an interesting and fitting analogy. You should go see a doctor about your reading disability and come back when you can read/write more than 4 words at time.

Do you actually watch dubs?

Why yes I do. I find being able to cite examples of when particular dubs excel or fail a good way to support my opinion of said dubs more so than just going "All dubs suck" or "All dubs are great." Not that the latter is said that often,...odd.
Anime_NameNov 8, 2012 10:46 AM

Nov 8, 2012 12:04 PM

Jun 2012
Favorite; NISA.

Second; Sentai

Least Favorite; Aniplex America

Edit; Whoever releases AKB0048 in the States may very well become my favorite, Unless it's Aniplex then they can kiss my ass.
DeWinterNov 8, 2012 12:07 PM
Sep 1, 2015 7:37 AM
Aug 2015
I figured Funimation was the most popular but DAMN, I had no idea they were THAT popular :O

Guess I should have known ^^;

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

22 by Ex-Aid »»
2 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
5 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 3 hours ago

33 by Hitagi__Furude »»
13 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

65 by Gator »»
16 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Yesterday

5 by Nemo_Niemand »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.