Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 8, 2012 7:27 PM

Mar 2012
A girl from my school's anime facebook group added me, presumably because I was discussing anime she liked on the page, or something like that. So I sent her a polite message that went something like "sorry I only have my close friends on facebook, but I'd be happy to discuss anime or whatever via message." No response, lol. So I'm just assuming she's socially awkward and wrongly thinks she got shut down.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 8, 2012 8:12 PM

May 2009
I sound like a hypocrite saying this but, I can't stand them in small instances like a run in at a store because they're usually acting like idiots (and that's SAD that I can tell they're into anime because of that) but I can handle them in giant swarms such as conventions because I'm having just as much fun as they are.

It doesn't make much sense, but that's how it is for me. My close group of friends and Facebook friends aren't included in this.
Dec 8, 2012 8:25 PM

Sep 2011
There are some people here that seem like really fun people, though from people i have met in real life they tend to be very obnoxious and i dont want to be seen in public with them half the time

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 8, 2012 8:48 PM

Nov 2012
I know a few anime fans in school, and it really depends on the person. One of them is pretty cool since he is also a nerd, but not a hipster :v[
Dec 9, 2012 6:05 AM

Apr 2008
gigglingidiot said:

So.. What about you people?

I like the curious, smart and open-minded type. They are not the "normal" type, the "normal" usually take an interest in anime in early age and leave animation watching only well-known, long series with (usually) low artistic and storywriting values. Boring.
Dec 9, 2012 6:23 AM
Apr 2012
I don't want to be friends with people who are embarrassed to be an anime fan.

That's all I've got to say.
Dec 9, 2012 6:48 AM

Sep 2008
Most anime watchers I've met are seriously creepy but I've meet som whom are sociable, well mannered and smart. Prefer those, the worst one is this hipster lolicon who is oblivious to the fact that everyone knows what he is. He's freaking disgusting and I avoid him for dear life.

The people who see anime as a way of life, I tend to avoid those.
Dec 9, 2012 8:36 PM

Apr 2010
zeneevee said:
I do find most anime viewers to be so fucking anti-social and awkward that I just can't deal with trying to have a conversation with them.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
maybe "some"
the ones that I hang out, are well are drunkers as me and we have other things in common so its easy to hang around and not to talk about anime all the time
but yesh there is also the weird people that fit into that stereotype .. that I really have no idea how to make a conversation

but I think thats not only on anime
there is weird people with other interests that are hard to talk to.
Dec 9, 2012 8:39 PM

Sep 2012
No.
Dec 9, 2012 8:41 PM

Feb 2010
Depends on who it is.
Dec 9, 2012 9:05 PM

Jul 2011
I have a friend at my school that likes the anime I enjoy as well. At my school, there are many yaoi fangirls which I'm not a big fan of. If I see an anime fan at my school, they always neither like like Bleach, DBZ, or Naruto. I understand DBZ, but there are a million (possibly more) anime out there yet sometimes they treat those two anime like they're the only that exist in the world. Not trying to talk down to you Bleach/Naruto fans, but damn.
Dec 9, 2012 10:21 PM

Oct 2012
Never met anyone in real life that likes anime as much as I do.
And on the net I see weeaboos and "otaku".
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Dec 10, 2012 7:46 AM

Jun 2012
Just one of my friends, the other guys and girls I know are all watching sh*t like Naruto and stuff, or my sisters watches One Piece :>
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2012 9:23 AM
Oct 2012
i wish i knew another person who liked anime.:/ and knowing my luck it will probaly be a weeaboo
Feb 12, 2013 5:19 PM

Mar 2012
I do but I hate those that ridicule no that I like. liking anime is a great trait, but a person is made of many traits and to be honest, I don't like things other than anime
Feb 12, 2013 5:39 PM

Aug 2009
I would group people like this:
- people who don't watch anime but they are still fun and interesting people - LIKE
- people who watch anime but they are so obsessed with it that they can't talk about anything but anime and our taste in anime is totally different - NOT LIKE
- people who watch anime and they are so obsessed with it that they can't talk about anything but anime but they like the same kind of anime I do - LIKE, not really friends but at least we can have enjoyable conversations
- people who watch anime and they like the same kind of anime I do and they even have a fun and interesting personality - PERFECT
Feb 12, 2013 5:39 PM

Oct 2007
As a general rule I really don't like people who watch anime in real life. The only ones I've ever met can't pronounce the titles or character names properly and that alone infuriates me, alongside their "I'm so much better than you" view just because they go to anime club at the uni and I don't. They're loud, obnoxious and embarrassing and I don't like that.
Feb 12, 2013 7:46 PM

Oct 2012
I don't really have many friends that watch anime to be honest. They are open to suggestions, however. :)
Feb 12, 2013 7:47 PM

Aug 2011
That just depends on whether they're intelligent lifeforms or not.

I don't mind associating with other anime fans face-to-face as long as they aren't socially awkward messes.

Feb 12, 2013 8:05 PM
Feb 2013
In face to face real life situations, most of the time I'm not too keen on intereacting with other fans. I know ever fandom has its bad apples, but overall, I do prefer online interaction than face to face - most people onlie, on every forum I've been to seem pretty reserved and calm, there's the odd jerk, but you may get that everywhere. So, here are some of the issue fans I have come across:

Some are just too overzealous about their favorite animes, and it's fine to be enthusiastic about your favorite shows, but there's a big difference between simply saying Fullmetal Alchemist or Naruto, or Puella Magi Madoka Magica are some of your favorites and acting like a reactive heroine addict.

I can't stand snobby elitist fans; these people I have interacted with online and face to face - these people have it in their heads that their favorite animes are artistic masterpieces and everything else is junk; opinions are not fact, and anime, just as any other art form is subjective. People and fans would be wise to know this.

Jokes anime fans tell - I've been to a couple of the conventions here in my local area - there's one every year, it is a fun time, but the presentations and some of the jokes people tell - they're not funny.

The cosplayers I met are pretentious snobs - seriously, they act like they're rock stars or something, no manners or respect for others.

Anime fans that refuse to give any other medium a chance, be it movies, or TV shows etc. I love anime as much as the next fan, I really do, some of it is absolutely amazing, but I'm very well aware, there is some other great material out there in other mediums.

Weird antisocial fans - now, I have Aspergers Syndrome, but that doesnt give me the right to act like an asshole - so when other fans use it as an excuse I shake my head and move on. There's a little something called adapting to your own lifestyle and issues, I've gone through seeing a councillor and learning to understand this mild form of autsim so that I can function at a level that I don't come off like a jerk.
Feb 12, 2013 8:09 PM

Aug 2011
Hm, now that I think about it, no. Most of the time those people act like they are the biggest otaku in the world and that they're better than me and judge the fact that maybe I haven't seen the exact same stuff as them.

There was also this one time I was in a bookstore looking at manga and this creeper guy came up to me and started asking me about what manga and anime I like. Seemed pretty harmless at first, but then gave me his number and invited me to an upcoming con and said he'd pick me up and we'd share a hotel room. No thanks.
Feb 13, 2013 11:47 AM

Nov 2012
thats kind of a stupid question cuz theres alot more to a person than if they watch anime or not, i mean i have friends and they watch anime but i dont like from specifically because of that.There are so many factors i look for in a friend and common intrest in anime isnt really a game changer.

“It’s fascinating. You know all these words, and they’re all English, but when you string them together into sentences, they just don’t make any sense.”
Feb 13, 2013 11:52 AM

Jun 2011
No one I know watches anime. Except icantfeelmyarms and he's a fag
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Feb 13, 2013 12:01 PM

Jul 2012
i know noone outside my family who watches anime. and we are a cool, loving family

i got them into it after i moved back to the area. fun fo sho.
Feb 13, 2013 12:16 PM

Dec 2011
It depends on how they act.
Feb 13, 2013 12:19 PM

Oct 2010
I don't know anyone who watches anime. And if they do it's just naruto.
Feb 13, 2013 12:27 PM

May 2012
I don't have that much conversations with people on the internet about anime sadly, so I don't know what I think about you people.

In real life, I've only known a few people that like anime, but they never shared my tastes even remotely. So yeah, I don't mind other people watching anime, I even support it, but it doesn't matter all that much when they don't like the same kind of anime as you do.
Feb 13, 2013 1:16 PM

Aug 2012
My brothers and some of my friends that I know also watch anime and so far I get along with them despite having different tastes with most of them. I've yet to encounter one who leaves a bad impression. Just like with other people, it all comes down to personality/attitude.

My Youtube page: link
Feb 13, 2013 1:24 PM

Feb 2011
No. People who watch anime tend to be really creepy and weird.
Feb 14, 2013 12:59 PM

Mar 2012
Well I don't know that much of people who watch anime, but yeah the ones I know they're good people to talk.
"A shinobi who violates the rules is scum, but a shinobi who abandons their friends is worse than scum" - Uchiha Obito
Feb 14, 2013 2:19 PM

Dec 2012
gigglingidiot said:
Eh. Just an open question - could be in real life or on the internet. Whatever works.

I, personally, don't usually like other people who I've met in real life who watch anime. I've never told anyone I like anime - but there was an anime club in my high school and I saw a few of the members around school. The members in that club were... I don't know what they were. But I do know that they were the type of people you wanted to push in a well.

On the internet there are pretty much three scales of anime watchers: the normal, calm watchers, the insane fangirls (I don't care if you're a boy, you're a fangirl), and the sarcastic pricks who watch just to criticize. I get along well with the normal ones - not sure about the other categories.

My girlfriend likes anime, and so have a lot of my closest friends, so I generally get along with people well in real life I know who actually to like anime. But I've also met people both in real life and online that yes, I would push in a well and never associate my fandom with them. So it really just depends on the people you meet. And even some of those I know, including my girl, we disagree a lot of times on what we like and don't like. My biggest thing is finding someone I can regularly talk about anime with in discussions manner, as a storytelling I like discussing plot, and subplot, and theories, and characterization and all that jazzy stuff. Because yes i got people like that, but we can't discuss that stuff regularly like I'd love to. lol
"Live a good life, leave behind a legacy to be proud of."

I review anime! (via TrashMutant.com): Aldnoah.Zero: http://tinyurl.com/ly6oyr6; Sword Art Online: http://tinyurl.com/mzpks8t; Patema Inverted: http://tinyurl.com/kphmu7t

I also now review manga! (via Bagandbored.net): Chirality - To the Promised Land: http://tinyurl.com/mvblbuo
Feb 14, 2013 2:30 PM

Jan 2013
I barely know anyone who really watches anime, but like everyone knows Naruto and Pokemon, so piles of fanboys around! :P
Feb 14, 2013 2:37 PM

Apr 2012
gigglingidiot said:
Eh. Just an open question - could be in real life or on the internet. Whatever works.

I, personally, don't usually like other people who I've met in real life who watch anime. I've never told anyone I like anime - but there was an anime club in my high school and I saw a few of the members around school. The members in that club were... I don't know what they were. But I do know that they were the type of people you wanted to push in a well.

On the internet there are pretty much three scales of anime watchers: the normal, calm watchers, the insane fangirls (I don't care if you're a boy, you're a fangirl), and the sarcastic pricks who watch just to criticize. I get along well with the normal ones - not sure about the other categories.

As former member of an anime club. I agree, it can be chaotic at times. As for other people who like anime, hmmm... It really depends on the person. Both IRL and online.
Feb 14, 2013 3:08 PM

Jan 2011
People who watch anime tend to suck stereotypes exist for a reason.
Feb 14, 2013 3:10 PM
Jan 2013
I visit an anime club in my old college and the people there are all very cool people so yeah I like other people who watch anime. Always good to have people who can speak about your interests with you.
Feb 14, 2013 3:21 PM

Nov 2012
they can get pretty weird but that's what makes 'em nice to hang with so yes

Feb 14, 2013 5:11 PM

Nov 2012
I know only 4 persons in real life that watch anime, and well I don't know them very well and never really had a chance to talk to them, which is kinda sad actually.
Feb 14, 2013 5:16 PM

Aug 2011
One guy I live with watch anime. He's introduced me to some good shows. Other than that there aint many people that I know that watch anime.

However, I don't feel like expressing it to the whole western world that I watch it. I'm not really ashamed of it, but I feel that anime are looked down upon because of stereotypes. And also, a lot of anime people here are so weird.
Feb 14, 2013 5:21 PM

Jan 2013
I know a lot of people who watch anime, I think like 30~40-ish, and like any other group there are some I like some I don't, though we have a shared interest so generally I think it helps.
I don't have a signature.
Feb 14, 2013 6:00 PM

Mar 2011
I find that most people who I meet in real life who are into anime are usually way too into it and revolve their lives around anime.

I used to watch anime to pass time, but as I've watched more and more bad animes I've turned into somewhat of a critic :P

Never the less, I still find enjoyment in all animes but I guess I can call myself a sarcastic critic who browses /a/.

Even as a critic, I still have a few friends who enjoy the same animes as me and we enjoy discussing animes together.
Feb 14, 2013 7:35 PM

Jan 2010
People I know in RL are the ones that proclaim to the world "I'M OTAKU DESU DESUDESU~"(most of them are hella old for that) so they're completely impossible to talk to...I just enjoy watching/reading stuff quietly is it so bad?
Feb 15, 2013 6:45 AM

Apr 2008
depends I think anime is an important part of my life but there's more to me than that - I don't like people who blindly love everything that the animation studios throw out there, I like people who can explain why they like certain things.

A LOT of anime fans are socially inept and I probably wouldn't associate with them irl - I remember joining the anime society on campus in my first year only to be surrounded by insufferable noobs and constantly made to sit and watch things that I'd already seen - I left a few weeks later, I prefer watching things I haven't seen a kazillion times - at my own leisure.
Feb 15, 2013 6:56 AM

Jan 2013
Do I like people who watch anime? Yes.

Do I like weaboos? No
Feb 15, 2013 8:36 AM

Feb 2009
Hey if you take me to lunch and then back to your place and we watch anime all afternoon chances are I will like you.

But just because you like anime doesn't mean I have to like you eh.

I like wargames and I know of a great many people I think are worthless pricks, and they like wargames too. Liking wargames didn't give them an automatic pass.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Feb 15, 2013 8:37 AM
May 2012
Not really a reason to like someone...
Feb 15, 2013 8:42 AM
Oct 2012
I hate/love everyone the same amount. I do not prefer some people nor do I distance myself from others. Considering this I will say that I am generally happy for those who watch and enjoy anime because they have something that makes them happy, but I do think that some people do take it too far.
Feb 15, 2013 8:43 AM

Nov 2012
Common interests is one of the building blocks of a good friendship, so I say yes. Of course other factors also come into play, but it's a good start.
Feb 15, 2013 9:27 AM

Dec 2011
No not really, my experiences of irl anime fans have been more like a "what the fuck are you doing?" kind of opinion. Not really the kind of people i like to hang around with. I've met some alright people over the internet though, but until i see someone in person i don't really hold an opinion unless they're the "sarcastic prick" type, they piss me right off.
-----------------------------
Feb 15, 2013 12:13 PM

Oct 2010
Yeah i seem to get along with fellow anime fans in real life. Atleast we have a good conversation topic.
Feb 15, 2013 1:41 PM

Jun 2012
I've never met anyone who watches anime IRL :(
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Believe it or not, but my father-in-law works for law enforcement

DesuMaiden - 2 hours ago

9 by Lost_Viking »»
9 minutes ago

» Plushies

_Nette_ - 10 hours ago

9 by traed »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

59 by cody »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

15 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
2 hours ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

68 by shadowdownfall »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.