Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 2, 2012 2:15 PM

Jul 2012
I plan on getting Black Ops II. But there seems to be a lot of hate directed towards the franchise because it's the same thing over and over. Do you think it will last much longer? Because there are still an incredible amount of people buying each game.

Nov 2, 2012 2:34 PM

Nov 2011
Until something which everybody moves to comes out really. I can't say when but CoD will probably die off some time during the next generation of gaming when somebody brings out a series that one-ups it.

That seems to be the way it usually goes, a series that sells consistently every year through one console generation and dies off during the one after.
Nov 2, 2012 2:34 PM

Jun 2011
As long as people keep buying them. Once the cash cow dries up, CoD will be discarded like Guitar Hero was.
Nov 2, 2012 2:36 PM
Mar 2011
it wont outlast Dragon Quest
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 2, 2012 2:38 PM

Feb 2010
1 group:
"Oh no, they changed game so much, it's not the game anymore I used to love!"
group 2:
"Oh no, it's the same shit just with some added nuances, what is this?"

It's pretty straight forward: if people buy this crap - keep milking it. Companies are afraid to lose money on ambiguous stuff, which might not be the thing new gen. gamers want.
CoD franchise will die, when it ruins itself.

I personally own CoD4:MW. I'm fine with just it. Never been huge fan of FPS games (except CS 1.5/1.6 and HL).
LUL
Nov 2, 2012 2:50 PM

Jun 2011
Longer than it should. It still sells stupid amounts and most of the people who claim to hate it always find some excuse to buy the latest one so there's no reason for them to scrap it yet.
Nov 2, 2012 2:54 PM

Nov 2008
MW3 sold like 20 million copies. The series will dominate for a long time to come.

Nov 2, 2012 3:27 PM

Mar 2010
I dunno, I've heard Activision is looking to sellCall Of Duty off so it kinda gives me a sinking ship feeling
Nov 2, 2012 3:28 PM

Jun 2007
As long as they can milk it.
Nov 2, 2012 3:39 PM

Feb 2005
Way too long.

But yea, I'm considering BO 2 as well, they've been better than the standard games at least. Only way to really save the franchise though is to go all out with comedy and shit like Saints Row 3.
Nov 2, 2012 3:52 PM
Jul 2012
Nov 2, 2012 3:52 PM
Jul 2012
one-more-time said:
1 group:
"Oh no, they changed game so much, it's not the game anymore I used to love!"
group 2:
"Oh no, it's the same shit just with some added nuances, what is this?"

It's pretty straight forward: if people buy this crap - keep milking it. Companies are afraid to lose money on ambiguous stuff, which might not be the thing new gen. gamers want.
CoD franchise will die, when it ruins itself.

I personally own CoD4:MW. I'm fine with just it. Never been huge fan of FPS games (except CS 1.5/1.6 and HL).

This
Nov 2, 2012 4:19 PM

Jun 2012
Personally I think it's going to end 3 games from now.

Black ops 2 is going to come out, and already a very large amount of people who got into at cod 4 or before are sick of it or have moved on. I think after BLOPS2, the incoming userbase isn't going to meet the outflowing users. they're going to rehash it again, and even less people are going to buy it.

By now the only people left are the HARD-COUR GAMERS, and now the new users who haven't got into it before probably won't be too enthusiastic about it. By this time Activision employees can't function because there isn't enough money to fuel their bodies, they are beginning to starve, their brain and CNS is shutting down, and will eventually die from this illness. But before they do so, they will put out one last game, Call of duty 2 Electric boogaloo.

Surely it will be the last straw.
Nov 2, 2012 4:25 PM

Sep 2011
i think it will last two more years then everyone will go to skyrim or something else just like it was for ghost recon and rainbow 6 vegas 2
"I was an adventurer like you once then i took an arrow in the knee" ~Skyrim guard
Nov 2, 2012 4:27 PM

Sep 2011
next couple years most likley, theres 4 cods in development at the moment, there will be so many of them that they are going to speed up the process of even the casuals getting tired of it

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 2, 2012 4:46 PM

Oct 2012
they last so long because by far the best aspect is the online game play, and no other FPS even comes close right now that is on all 3 consoles, so you have to buy the latest game to keep up with everyone switching online

i think it wil be interesting to see when Halo 4 comes out because it has a huge hungry fan base ( like me )and it is as different as fps can be so COD will loose a ton of xbox sales i mean would would you rather buy your millionth COD game or the first true Halo game in years

^ side note black ops i might buy cause of zombies i'm not going to buy the others at all they have enough of my money already
Nov 2, 2012 5:39 PM

Sep 2008
COD will be around as long as it sells like it currently does. People are like crazy over these games and I don't really understand what the fuzz is about. But I'm not a huge FPS fan either so...
Nov 2, 2012 5:46 PM

Aug 2009
It's definitely going to go the way of Guitar Hero sooner or later, it's just hard to gauge when exactly since the fanbase is for the most part at that age where it doesn't really matter if it's more of the same or not, as long as it's new.
Nov 2, 2012 6:11 PM

Sep 2008
I doubt much longer, the fatigue is already setting in Activison does a great job of running it's franchise into the ground.
JigeroNov 3, 2012 1:03 PM
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Nov 3, 2012 1:56 AM

Sep 2011
It will never die. There are different ways you have to look at it though.
Nov 3, 2012 2:01 AM

Nov 2011
Not for a long time. CoD still is one of the biggest selling games in the market.(Even I'm guilty of buying almost every CoD.)
It's kind of like, the CoD community sticks together. When a new game comes out they just all move to it and even though it may "suck" it still has that fast-paced decent MP action that anyone can really enjoy that many people do with friends. When I was in school that's all people would do, trade GTs and stuff then play CoD together.

I still say it probably has another good decade or so before CoD franchise dies.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Nov 3, 2012 9:27 AM

Nov 2011
For console I don't see the sales stopping anytime soon. PC on the other hand doesn't need Cod.
Nov 3, 2012 10:37 AM

Jul 2010
a long time, it's still a lot of fun to play around release.

Nov 3, 2012 1:04 PM
Mar 2012
A long, long time. Probably as long as Fifa will be around. Which is also around for quite some years. Though I myself used to be more of a Battlefield player. I can see COD outlasting BF for how long they'll keep making games.
Nov 3, 2012 2:10 PM

Sep 2012
It'll last until they fuck up and make a bad game. Or several. People still buy Assassin's Creed and Pokemon, so I don't see CoD going away anytime soon.
Nov 3, 2012 3:38 PM
Mar 2012
I don’t think I will play another call of duty until they make a future warfare. Give me a mech and light grenades in that new half realistic shooter style. I also really hate how CoD fans like to look down on other games, and anime as stupidly unrealistic. Sure cod is closer to real, but your guy still picks up ammo with his feet, automatically sorts that ammo into the magazines so every new reload is full, takes shotgun blasts to the chest and keeps standing and shoots back if the guy with the shotgun wasn't just close enough to that blast to get the kill.
extraspectraNov 3, 2012 3:51 PM
Nov 3, 2012 4:39 PM

Apr 2010
The first Black Ops was the largest entertainment launch selling 5.6 million copies in the US and UK within the first 24 hours
When it was released it and the game earned 650 million USD in the first five days which also was a record.

The concept of COD might not have changed much but it still sells with record numbers and why change a concept which sells?
Personally i own MW3 and played Black Ops and ordered Black Ops 2.
I already seen some of the things of Black Ops 2 and some things did change for instance there is a new class layout and you can control more things compared to the previous Black Ops and MW3.
Nov 3, 2012 4:49 PM

Aug 2010
It'll keep going as long as it keeps selling.

Even Pac-Man still gets games.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 4, 2012 12:23 PM
Dec 2007
Amputeed said:
It'll last until they fuck up and make a bad game. Or several. People still buy Assassin's Creed and Pokemon, so I don't see CoD going away anytime soon.
I give you Pokemon, but AC actually tries and changes things up, not to mention AC is reaching it's peak time soon too.

I don't see CoD lasting that much longer but it depends on when the fans grow past it. Which also depends on their age. At the very least we can safely say it won't be ran into the ground as fast as Guitar Hero was, since music games were a fad while FPS games have a more lasting stay, with CoD being basically a marquee title or the genre at the moment.

Nov 4, 2012 1:23 PM

Apr 2011
Who cares.
Nov 4, 2012 1:45 PM

Sep 2011
fantomu said:
Who cares.

This.
Nov 5, 2012 11:44 AM

Jun 2012
no idea how long it will last, it wont be dying out anytime soon though unless they decide to just not make another one which i really doubt they will do for a while yet.

I've never really been a massive CoD i like 4 a fair bit and played that with school friends a lot, then i got MW2 and got bored of it in around 3 days >.> and i played black ops for a few weeks just because my friends were on it :P im more of a halo person, i dont play much FPS these days ive moved on from them :P good sometimes though :D
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?

More topics from this board

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

138 by Kajiuran »»
20 minutes ago

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

18 by tectacles »»
22 minutes ago

» What's your favorite video game that you've never actually beaten?

TheBlockernator - Apr 15, 2022

49 by His0kaDevv »»
60 minutes ago

» How to play Sports Video Games?

TheSunLife - Apr 3

10 by Jensenessy »»
8 hours ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - Apr 17

29 by loligoth666 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.