Forum Settings
Forums
Nov 4, 2008 9:14 AM

Lately i've started reading more mangas and i noticed that no matter how hard you try, you will never find a Shonen romance manga which doesn't follow the old harem formula.

You never get a simple romance. Its always a stupid* harem story were the main guy is indecisive as hell, or as dense as diamonds, or too stupid to actually tell the other girls who he actually likes.

Of course those are mostly fun mangas, but after seeing the same old formula over and over i can't get myself to actually read anything else.

Of course there still exist those action x rom x com mangas, but those doesn't count since 90% of the story is all about a random overpowered main character beating up a bunch of retards with his sword/gun/ninja skills/esper powers/magic/bare fists/books/plastic ducks or whatever.
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention about the other 9,99% of random & useless training/comedy scenes, leaving only 0,01% for the rom part.

(Putting aside FMP which is simply perfect. lol)

I wonder, why do they keep on following such formula.
Of course, its a sure way to ensure that the story will be a success, but why not try something a bit less clichê?

*My opinion. Not meant to piss off anyone.

Nov 4, 2008 9:31 AM

Nov 4, 2008 9:35 AM

There is always Maison Ikkoku!

Nov 4, 2008 9:46 AM

Its probably due to the fact that without more than one love interest you probably wont have any friction, but that isnt to say that there arent more single paring romances..if i remember correctly, MxO has only 1 love interest as well as comedy and action..but i could be wrong.

Nov 4, 2008 9:52 AM

-Kazu said:
Its probably due to the fact that without more than one love interest you probably wont have any friction
I disagree. I think that it only makes easier to create the friction.

Check Ah My Goddess.
Of course it did have some interventions from other girls, but it wasn't as much chapter taking than most mangas.

-Kazu said:
if i remember correctly, MxO has only 1 love interest as well as comedy and action..but i could be wrong.
Indeed. I does have only one love interest from the main character. (Even taking aside that one-sided love from the tsundere girl.)
And for me it was one of the best manga out there. Too bad they rushed the ending.

I understand pretty much what you are pointing out, but don't you think that if they managed to create a shonen manga with a real rom story, without having to depend on the harem to make it go popular, it could become a real blockbuster?
Modified by Ryushi, Nov 4, 2008 9:56 AM

Nov 4, 2008 10:42 AM

What about Midori No Hibi? It starts with the main guy having difficulties to find a girfriend and he's not always surrounded by girls. The manga focuses on the main's character relationship with the heroine more than ecchi and action sequences. I highly recommend that you read it.

Nov 4, 2008 10:49 AM

Rebella said:
What about Midori No Hibi? It starts with the main guy having difficulties to find a girfriend and he's not always surrounded by girls. The manga focuses on the main's character relationship with the heroine more than ecchi and action sequences. I highly recommend that you read it.
MnH does escape a bit from the formula, but the main guy still fits in the "dense as diamonds" category/steriotype.
I already read that one. Well, I liked it anyway.
Thanks for suggesting.

Any other suggestions?

Nov 4, 2008 9:16 PM

humm...I'll probably get hit up really bad for this, but...

I see Tsubasa Reservior Chronicles as also in the shounen romance category, and I don't think it's harem becuase the guys involved are not all going after one girl, nor is it all about power-ups and training sessions. Of course there's action and stuff, but maybe I'm straying off.

I'll also throw in Code: Breaker, though it's still new, and not really a romance, but more of an action. There's fighting and almost indestructable, all powerfull character types, but it's not really a power-up kind.

Nov 5, 2008 9:32 AM

Most of the recent ones may follow that formula but to find the kind you're looking don't go with mainstream titles or the ones that have an anime version.

My recommendation for a shounen romance manga I recommend you the ones of Mazakazu Katsura maybe mainstream but they have their own style.

And don't be affraid of shoujo drama/romance manga, you may think they are very pink or sugary or yaoi but in reality there are a lot of good stories worth to be read that aren't exactly with those elements.

Nov 5, 2008 9:55 AM

Well there is always Adachi's works. You rarely see anything more than a love triangle in any of his stories. For starters I'd recommend "Touch" and "Katsu!". And of course you could always start reading Seinen series which tend to avoid the Harem cliche more often than not.

Nov 5, 2008 9:56 AM

Nov 5, 2008 11:40 AM

Sourcerer said:
And don't be affraid of shoujo drama/romance manga, you may think they are very pink or sugary or yaoi but in reality there are a lot of good stories worth to be read that aren't exactly with those elements.
Yeah. I kind of know that. But i would rather read Josei instead of Shoujo. Josei usually are more trustworthy* and realistic.
(*I hope ya get what i mean.)
I already got some traumas from some Shoujo mangas, that some weird friends of mine (Girls) recomended.

You do have to agree with me
Shonen x 0.9 + Romance = Harem
Shoujo x 0.99 = Weird/Unrealistic Characters [Those characters from shoujo manga actually are scary. lol] + Romance + Weird Plot

8GaugeBrett said:
Well there is always Adachi's works. You rarely see anything more than a love triangle in any of his stories. For starters I'd recommend "Touch" and "Katsu!". And of course you could always start reading Seinen series which tend to avoid the Harem cliche more often than not.
Adachi you say? Your talking about Adachi Mitsuru right? This name sure is familiar. I'm going to check about him. Thanks.

And as for the Seinen manga, i'm already reading some of them. Usually they are the ones to score highly on my list.
Mind you that its not like i only read shonen, i was just starting a discussion about why the publishers tend to publish mostly Harem, when it comes to romance stories.
Modified by Ryushi, Nov 5, 2008 11:46 AM

Nov 6, 2008 3:32 AM

Ryushi said:
Rebella said:
MnH does escape a bit from the formula, but the main guy still fits in the "dense as diamonds" category/steriotype.
I already read that one. Well, I liked it anyway.
Thanks for suggesting.

Any other suggestions?

Anytime but Sawamara Seiji is not dense at all. He's the furthest character from being dense. He's the type of person who hides behind a rough extrerior but has a big heart. Read Inoue Kazurou's other work titled Love College, and you'll see how Midori days doesn't follow the formula.

Here are some Shounen mangas with romantic plot and no harem and ecchi scenes:
-Beck.
-Boys Be.
-Boy Be 2.
-Kimugre Orange Road.
-Angel Densetsu *the main character has something in common with Seiji from Midori no Hibi*
-Blue Seed.
-Chunrangyuljun.
-Cross Game.
-Eureka Seven.
-Ga-Rei.
-H2.
-Mirai Nikki.
-Sasameke.
-Superior.
-Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.
-Tuxedo Gin.

Go for shounen mangas with realistic artstyle if you don't want harem and ecchi scenes.

Nov 6, 2008 5:12 AM

lol i still prefer harem no matter how the plot is similar or used over and over again.

im addicted to harem, ecchi, shounen manga!

can't get out of it ^.^

Nov 6, 2008 10:57 AM

Rebella, thanks alot.

wanshin said:
lol i still prefer harem no matter how the plot is similar or used over and over again.

im addicted to harem, ecchi, shounen manga!

can't get out of it ^.^
Don't worry. Its just a matter of time until you start finding them boring.
Maybe ya won't belive, but before i was more than addict to harem anime/manga.

Erm... this seems a bit agressive....
Anyway, i wish i was at your place.
Sometimes its better to have fun with anything.
Still a weird way of phrasing it... Erm...
Anyway, i guess you get what i mean.

Nov 7, 2008 12:36 PM

If you want a good romance try seinen manga instead of shonen.

Nov 7, 2008 12:40 PM

Ryushi said:
And as for the Seinen manga, i'm already reading some of them. Usually they are the ones to score highly on my list.
TL:DR huh?

Nov 7, 2008 12:48 PM

*Stretch* Well, it doesn't look like I'm needed here.

Nov 7, 2008 1:13 PM

Corrupt_Id said:
*Stretch* Well, it doesn't look like I'm needed here.

Something like: "Well my job is done."
lol

Thanks anyway man.

Nov 8, 2008 7:15 AM

I thought I recommended you a romantic shounen with harem but glad I didn't XD
Anyways, I found this and it looks good:
http://www.mangafox.com/page/manga/series/3090/ja_ja_uma_grooming_up/

Nov 11, 2008 7:46 PM

Shonen harems are always fun to read, just make sure your reading them for the right reasons, don't read them for actuall romance or fealings, what do you think they are shoujo mangas come on now

Nov 25, 2008 2:52 PM
Because theyre soo popular with the audience their aimed for(noticed how there arent many seinen harems). Harems are only fun for so long until u just get pissed off at the main character for being a huge loser

Nov 25, 2008 8:14 PM

The same trend can be seen with Shoujo manga. The guy usually has some bad past that requires the "average" girl to help him or the guy is really talented and still wants the average girl. Then again, you can also read the stereotypical tragedy ala Bitter Virgin *yawns*

Nov 25, 2008 8:24 PM

^_^ well these would be the kind of manga I like though :)

Nov 26, 2008 9:06 AM

desiprince said:
Harems are only fun for so long until u just get pissed off at the main character for being a huge loser
execpt 4 Ai Kora.
Its the most predictable one of all harems out there, but its also one of the most funny and ... i can't seem to find any suitable word to correctly express myself other then GARR.

hehehee.

arimakenshin said:
The same trend can be seen with Shoujo manga. The guy usually has some bad past that requires the "average" girl to help him or the guy is really talented and still wants the average girl. Then again, you can also read the stereotypical tragedy ala Bitter Virgin *yawns*
Indeed, and beside the overused plot, usually, the characters have somewhat messed up personalities.
Though i disagree with ya bout bitter virgin.
It was a * good manga. It might be stereotypical, but its one of the best on its kind

Nov 29, 2008 2:58 AM

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.
'nuff said.

If Syaoran loved anyone other than Sakura and vice versa CLAMP would have hell to pay.

Nov 29, 2008 11:02 AM

Ryushi said:
desiprince said:
Harems are only fun for so long until u just get pissed off at the main character for being a huge loser
execpt 4 Ai Kora.
Its the most predictable one of all harems out there, but its also one of the most funny and ... i can't seem to find any suitable word to correctly express myself other then GARR.

hehehee.

arimakenshin said:
Indeed, and beside the overused plot, usually, the characters have somewhat messed up personalities.
Though i disagree with ya bout bitter virgin.
It was a * good manga. It might be stereotypical, but its one of the best on its kind

Sorry but how's Bitter Virgin stereotypical?

Nov 29, 2008 11:40 AM

Rebella said:
Ryushi said:
It might be stereotypical, but its one of the best on its kind

It is. Guy meets girl, which has some problems with guys (Trauma or way too shy [in this case, both]), he helps her overcome her problems, she starts to fall in love with him, but he is a dense guy, so he never notices her attempts to attract him. etc.
The last part doesn't apply fully to this one though.

Nov 29, 2008 11:48 AM

Ryushi said:
Rebella said:
Ryushi said:

It is. Guy meets girl, which has some problems with guys (Trauma or way too shy [in this case, both]), he helps her overcome her problems, she starts to fall in love with him, but he is a dense guy, so he never notices her attempts to attract him. etc.

I don't think it's stereotypical at all. Daisuke was playful before he met Aikawa and he stopped toying with other girls after he found out her secret. In other words, she helped him get rid of his bad habits too.
Aikawa didn't "try" to attract Daisuke per say. They both had so much in common so she just wanted to be close to him. Daisuke wasn't dense, he was being careful not to let Aikawa misunderstands him.

Nov 29, 2008 12:00 PM

Rebella said:
Ryushi said:
Rebella said:
Ryushi said:

I don't think it's stereotypical at all. Daisuke was playful before he met Aikawa and he stopped toying with other girls after he found out her secret. In other words, she helped him get rid of his bad habits too.
Aikawa didn't "try" to attract Daisuke per say. They both had so much in common so she just wanted to be close to him. Daisuke wasn't dense, he was being careful not to let Aikawa misunderstands him.
I'm not saying Daisuke was the one with traumas.
Did you pay attention to what i wrote? o_o"

And Daisuke is dumb dense.
He didn't notice at all that Aikawa started seeing him as a man....
He had to be pushed by other people to see she actually was liking him.
Mind that i really liked the manga, its not like i'm trying to troll on it.

Nov 29, 2008 4:54 PM

Why do Shonen Romances always have to be Harems? That is a good question. Im not entirely sure why. I think its beacuse most guys like to see them selves with several girls instead of just one

Nov 29, 2008 6:48 PM

echoeagle3 said:
Why do Shonen Romances always have to be Harems? That is a good question. Im not entirely sure why. I think its beacuse most guys like to see them selves with several girls instead of just one
Now that would be something like a nightmare.
One girl is perfect, two troublesome, three god help ya, four chaotic.
If its already difficult to give enough attention to one girl, imagine more. lol

I think harems tend to unoriginality thanks to the fact that it limits too much the story, instead of actually helping it.

Nov 30, 2008 8:50 AM

Ryushi said:
Rebella said:
Ryushi said:
Rebella said:
Ryushi said:

I'm not saying Daisuke was the one with traumas.
Did you pay attention to what i wrote? o_o"

And Daisuke is dumb dense.
He didn't notice at all that Aikawa started seeing him as a man....
He had to be pushed by other people to see she actually was liking him.
Mind that i really liked the manga, its not like i'm trying to troll on it.

Don't worry. I didn't think you were trolling but you definilty like to nit-pick :P
I see what you mean by stereotypical but my opinion still stands, the characters of Bitter Virgin don't fit under any category. Props to the author for coming up with a decent story.

Nov 30, 2008 10:46 AM

Rebella said:
...you definilty like to nit-pick :P
Maybe.
Rebella said:
...the characters of Bitter Virgin don't fit under any category...
I definitely disagree with that, but anyway, i respect your opinion.
Rebella said:
Props to the author for coming up with a decent story.
Indeed.
Kusunoki Kei did a good job on this one.
If you liked this one, you will probably like some other publications of hers.

Dec 3, 2008 9:14 AM

Why the Shoen+Romance=Harem?
Because the Shoen mangas on physicality(action) and the shoujo mangas on feelings(romance, drama, dreams) in the first pace.
So what means "romance" in shoen? Female bodies!And how you make more "romance"?
More female bodies! That means more female characters with intimate relationship with the main character...
The romance in shoen means "echi with meaning and feelings"...so that's why...

Dec 10, 2008 7:37 AM

^
+1

You also need to consider that the age group "Shounen" targets is 13-17 year olds. Plenty of hormones + alot of girls that most guys dream to be physical with + not much emotional depth = perfect way to forget about reality and feel loved by every female in the manga. The main character is always some sort of mediocre person with a very average personality or a person with super powers who slowly learns how to use them (to make a coming of age story).

Remember Toki Memorial ~Only Love~ It's pure harem. Guy is extremely mediocre + Really talented, popular girl but somehow manages to really dense = Girl falls in love (unrealistic).

Dec 18, 2008 4:23 PM
zomggg, i hav the exact same problem
i keep on reading the same type of story ova and ova again
i havent givin up tho, trying to find another unique-er manga
==

Dec 21, 2008 3:18 AM

Bakuman.

Shounen, has romance (almost central in the plot), and not a harem. It isn't even stereotypical romance.

Dec 21, 2008 5:09 AM

monochrome-zero said:
Bakuman.

Shounen, has romance (almost central in the plot), and not a harem. It isn't even stereotypical romance.
I'm already reading it.
Its pretty good indeed.