Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Oct 22 - 28

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 30, 2012 10:37 PM

Sep 2008
**** Silver Link, hope they goes bankrupt soon.. sorry for the fan, but you still have SHAFT.
symbv said:
fertygo said:
What team Chalia? Midorima and his BFF?

As I don't follow KuroBas I don't know who is Team Chalia, but the combo is widely known as チャリア組 in Japan (which I translate as Team Chalia)
I find a pixiv drawing of the combo, perhaps you can identify if they are who you have in mind.
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=30611167
Oh, I'm right then.. that's indeed one of the most popular BFF in Kuroko. I'm inclined to agree with the theory then, that couple boost the sales.
Oct 30, 2012 11:05 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
It would be interesting to compare which (of the less or semi-popular) titles have a longer 'long-tail' and which burn out quickly.

More mainstream stuff, maybe. A producer for noitaminA noted once that Nodame Cantabile actually sold roughly three times the 8,788 Oricon reported, but didn't get more specific than that, or say how long it took to hit those numbers.

This was from the talk given by Kouji Yamamoto, who produced a lot of Noitamina shows like Nodame, Mononoke, Hourou Musuko, East of Eden, Usagi Drop, C and Guilty Crown, as part of an anime industry seminar series in Yoyogi Animation School on 2011 July 10th.
(a summary by a blogger who attended the seminar can be found here [Japanese]:
http://close2.net/anime/2011/07/201107-01.html )

Actually he did not mention Oricon exactly, he only said "the numbers in 2ch". But since the data posted on 2ch are mostly from Oricon, I guess we can take it to interpret that he means the data from Oricon.

Basically there are two parts of what he means:

1. The final number is 3 times the "2ch number" for Nodama 1st season. Indeed he did not state how long it took to reach that.

2. Certain source of sales are not counted by Oricon. Like sales of BD/DVD in Fuji TV shops (Noitama is a program by Fuji TV) and this could mean even the first week sales reported by Oricon can substantially underestimate the actual sales.

There are also a lot of other interesting insights by Yamamoto in the seminar:

- In the past TV ratings mattered more and so BD/DVD sales does not matter. This is no longer the case now.

- Noitamina is different from other midnight anime in that it got a lot of funding (5-10 times more) from the TV station. It also has more mainstream sponsors (i.e. not from anime/game/LN/manga industry) than ordinary midnight anime. To them BD/DVD sales do not really matter.

- For him, reputation and brand image may matter a lot more (though of course good BD sales is surely welcome)

- He watched the full series of Infinite Stratos and thought it is Great stuff. Of course he may indicate more on a technical level like the settei (world view and character design), directing, sakuga (still frame and animation quality) and screenplay than finding how moe the characters are. But it just goes to show how a real pro in anime industry, who produces unique shows like Mononoke and Hourou Musuko, can also find great enjoyment in a harem show that is competently made. I think ALL anime fans should take this as a role model and stop bashing anime just because it does not fit his own aloof standard of what it should be, particularly on things like any anime with moe/fanservice automatically means it is rubbish with no merit.
symbvOct 30, 2012 11:57 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 30, 2012 11:09 PM

Sep 2009
> **** Silver Link, hope they goes bankrupt soon.. sorry for the fan, but you still have SHAFT.

Shaft can't do descent romantic dramas. They are just not in Shimbos taste while Oonuma knows how to make them. And their "animation tricks" are slightly different
Oct 30, 2012 11:23 PM

Sep 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

And GirlPan is really ranked highest at amazon right now? That's interesting. Well, it was the series that suceeded my expectations of it the most this season, guess I'm not the only one?

You can join our discussion in the Girls und Panzer sub-section in Anime Series section. You would find good company there. http://myanimelist.net/forum/index.php?animeid=14131
I wrote about various interesting things I observed from the multiple viewing of the latest episode for example: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=510851

I have just checked and the 6 volumes of GalPan have barely budged in their position in Amazon. Vol.1 still at #5 among anime BD and #18 for all BDs. All 6 are in top 20 for anime BDs.

jmal said:

I am violently opposed to 3dcg in anime, but even I have to admit that for 3dcg the tank battles look far better than I would have expected. I'd still far prefer regular 2d animation, but I anticipated things being much, much worse.

The reality is it is getting less and less likely to see only 2d animation for mecha animation that involves speed and action. Mecha animation is mainly and largely done in CG these day and frequently in 3dcg. For GirlPan its CG animation is done well, and so is those still-frame sakuga for the tanks too.

On topic, what titles are coming up for the coming week? The only titles that I think will rank are AKB0048 vol.5 and Campione vol.2 .....
symbvOct 31, 2012 12:08 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 31, 2012 12:21 AM
Jun 2011
Wait for Kokoro Connect.
Oct 31, 2012 12:35 AM

Aug 2010
dtshyk said:
*1, 29,757 29,757 Strike Witches The Movie Limited Edition
*5, *6,577 *6,577 Hyouka vol.5 Limited Edition
*7, *5,525 *5,525 Dog Days' vol.2 Limited Edition
*8, *4,688 *4,688 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san vol.5 Limited Edition

I'm happy for these titles.
Oct 31, 2012 3:08 AM

Jan 2012
Glad to see SW Movie doing well, finally ordered my LE today too.
Oct 31, 2012 6:25 AM

Apr 2012
Hmm, Strike Witches The Movie got even more sales than Sword Art Online. Interesting stuff. :)
Dies Irae! :)
Oct 31, 2012 6:30 AM

Sep 2012
Aerbage said:
Hmm, Strike Witches The Movie got even more sales than Sword Art Online. Interesting stuff. :)

You have to understand it is a MOVIE BD. A movie anime BD very often sells more than a TV anime BD.
symbvOct 31, 2012 6:36 AM

Oct 31, 2012 6:35 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

I wonder if Nanoha is just making so much money on manga and merchandise and games and movies and stuff that there's not much need for another TV series? TV series tend to be advertising, and Nanoha doesn't need much help moving its figures and posters and so forth.

It is widely expected by fans in Japan that the manga Vivid will be animated at some point (and perhaps Force as well). The question is just when they will summon the resource or will to do it.... Currently fans just assume that Nanoha production is focusing on the movies. Now that A also got the movie treatment, it remains to be seen that if they want to give StrikerS the movie treatment or switch back to a new TV season of Nanoha.

Oct 31, 2012 7:34 AM

Apr 2010
Nothing could fix the problems I have with StrikerS unless they change the story and go back in time. I watch Nanoha for the cute lolis, not the buxom girls.

Oct 31, 2012 8:26 AM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:
Nothing could fix the problems I have with StrikerS unless they change the story and go back in time. I watch Nanoha for the cute lolis, not the buxom girls.

I watch Nanoha for NanoFate - Yuri between grown-up Nanoha and Fate is a very important reason to watch the show.

Yeah, wonder why there is no Nanoha BD Box, while there is a rush of BD Box recently (Another gets BD Box less than 6 months after the final BD volume was out, and fans are angry).

Oct 31, 2012 8:32 AM

Oct 2012
I also wonder what the longterm effect of these boxes will be on the market, but Another really seems like a dickish move. It was very expensive and just finished. But how many fans of it are even there to be angry? It sold under 2000, at least on Oricon.
Oct 31, 2012 9:18 AM

Sep 2012
scineram said:
But how many fans of it are even there to be angry? It sold under 2000, at least on Oricon.

Of course those who bought the BDs of Another are very very angry, but there are also fans who see Kadokawa doing this and feel angry about its practice. The latter are the vast majority of the angry fans and their number cannot be underestimated. Checking the reviews in Amazon Japan, the negative 1-star reviews are overwhelming and the number keeps rising....

In conclusion, Kadokawa just added one more thing for the anime fans to hate it for.
symbvOct 31, 2012 9:21 AM

Oct 31, 2012 11:06 AM

Feb 2009
jmal said:
I feel like Silver Link often gets on the cusp of something great, but then just can't take that last step or two. Tasogare reached true greatness in episodes 10 and 11, but I felt it was just "pretty good" otherwise. C3 was surprisingly better than I expected, but I still consider it just "pretty good". Kokoro Connect had many really brilliant moments, and it's the first Silver Link show I imported, but something about it just feels incomplete, and I don't just mean the obvious fact that it's an ongoing novel series. I'm also loving OniAi so far, but the nature of the show is that I know it won't be a favorite, though it'll be really enjoyable for what it is.

I feel like overall they're really improving, but have a ways to go. They need a major break-out title.
They have Fate/kaleid Prisma Ilya next year. It's Type-Moon and a good manga so depending on how they adapt it, they'll probably get a hit. Even if it turned out bad, I'm guessing TM fans will still buy anything TM-related *cough*Tsukihime*cough*
belatkuroOct 31, 2012 11:14 AM
Oct 31, 2012 12:15 PM

Nov 2009
SAO = 35 K

My expectative = 60 K
Oct 31, 2012 12:19 PM
Oct 2010
How can that shit called SAO sell better to something good as Horizon. I don't even understand.
Oct 31, 2012 12:22 PM

Feb 2010
rubiopaloosa said:
How can that shit called SAO sell better to something good as Horizon. I don't even understand.

They both sell because of their novels and SAO novel is even more popular than Horizon.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 31, 2012 12:29 PM
Oct 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
rubiopaloosa said:

They both sell because of their novels and SAO novel is even more popular than Horizon.

Yeah I know. I'm kidding, of course, still thinks that Horizon it's bazzilion times better than SAO. But SAO is not that bad.
Oct 31, 2012 12:45 PM

Nov 2008
symbv said:
jmal said:

I wonder if Nanoha is just making so much money on manga and merchandise and games and movies and stuff that there's not much need for another TV series? TV series tend to be advertising, and Nanoha doesn't need much help moving its figures and posters and so forth.

It is widely expected by fans in Japan that the manga Vivid will be animated at some point (and perhaps Force as well). The question is just when they will summon the resource or will to do it.... Currently fans just assume that Nanoha production is focusing on the movies. Now that A also got the movie treatment, it remains to be seen that if they want to give StrikerS the movie treatment or switch back to a new TV season of Nanoha.

They can use the money they got from the 2 seasons of Dog Days to animate those and cut the recaps, I don't want recaps.

Oct 31, 2012 1:50 PM
Aug 2010
rubiopaloosa said:
SAO is more mainstream, I'm pretty sure, that Horizon itself is a pretty niche like show even in the niche market that is anime.... So it's really amazing that it's selling close to a 20k avg. But well deserved seeing the effort put in by the production staff. (even better since they all freaking loved the show lol.)

Regardless, it's safe to say that, Kawahara can never beat how dedicated Kawakami was in Horizon's adaption. 3pm to 1am script meetings, brought in personal 3D model of Musashi for referencing to animate, vidding himself dancing for animation team to reference for a certain scene *COUGHKimi'sDancingCOUGH*, and all the other ridiculous things he helped with over the 2 1/2 years~ of production for S1 + S2 of Horizon...

Rather not even delve into how much the staffs comment their love for the shows but...

Best comment(for Horizon IMO) has to be about how FukuJun=biggest Horizon LN fan amongst all the Seiyuu's. Helping all other VA's understand the atmosphere, explaining about it...oh god.
Then there was the fact he redid his lines of S1 ep 12 because "I was behind half a breath somewhere! REDO" While everyone else(20+ other Seiyuu, director, etc.) proclaimed he had already nailed it...

best for sao I've seen... "I really liked drawing the different landscapes throughout this particular episode!"

staff love difference is just.... while fans are well...fans. so whatever lol.
Oct 31, 2012 2:55 PM

Jan 2012
SAO and Horizon selling really good is hardly news, but their fanboys still like to complain back and forth at each other.

Dog Days Dash practically tying for 3rd place behind the 2 powerhouses? Now THAT'S news, especially seeing that it's a second season and I believe it outsold the first season.

Season 2 discs did come with priority ordering for the November FlonyaFest event, so it kind of makes sense.

When people think of big successful animation houses, hardly anyone would think SevenArcs, at least outside Japan. I'm very happy to say the least.

I would like to think Dog Days season 3 will be a ViVid crossover but I doubt that's happening.

You would think with sales numbers like this DD would have more western fans. Both seasons are streaming on Crunchyroll. I always thought kemonomimis were something really enjoyed by westerners, but I guess not, unless there's something else I'm missing on why it seems to have such low Western fanbase numbers.
Oct 31, 2012 3:30 PM

Apr 2010
GregZor9 said:
SAO and Horizon selling really good is hardly news, but their fanboys still like to complain back and forth at each other.

Dog Days Dash practically tying for 3rd place behind the 2 powerhouses? Now THAT'S news, especially seeing that it's a second season and I believe it outsold the first season.

Season 2 discs did come with priority ordering for the November FlonyaFest event, so it kind of makes sense.

When people think of big successful animation houses, hardly anyone would think SevenArcs, at least outside Japan. I'm very happy to say the least.

I would like to think Dog Days season 3 will be a ViVid crossover but I doubt that's happening.

You would think with sales numbers like this DD would have more western fans. Both seasons are streaming on Crunchyroll. I always thought kemonomimis were something really enjoyed by westerners, but I guess not, unless there's something else I'm missing on why it seems to have such low Western fanbase numbers.

I think it has a small fanbase over here because its a cute girl show without any kind of real conflict. Westerners in general can't really appreciate something for being simple fun, they always need some overarching story and antagonists.

Oct 31, 2012 3:39 PM

Feb 2010
RyanSaotome said:
GregZor9 said:

I think it has a small fanbase over here because its a cute girl show without any kind of real conflict. Westerners in general can't really appreciate something for being simple fun, they always need some overarching story and antagonists.

Aria is quite popular though and is about the definition of no conflict.
Also isn't Dog Days set in some kind of war/invasion? Haven't seen it, but there has to be a bunch of conflict of some sorts in a setting like this, or not?
Oct 31, 2012 3:51 PM

Apr 2010
Dog Days has more user scores than Aria, so I don't believe either one is very popular on MAL.

And its "war/invasion" is a set of events similar to an olympics where different countries compete to win their "Wars". Then afterwards they all party and go to idol concerts.

Oct 31, 2012 10:42 PM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:

And its "war/invasion" is a set of events similar to an olympics where different countries compete to win their "Wars". Then afterwards they all party and go to idol concerts.

Yeah, this is precisely what puzzled the fans in at the beginning of 1st season but later became its biggest appeal as the season went on. At the end everything comes down to having little adventure and having fun. Season 1 tried to mix in some serious threat and melodrama in it that was widely considered unsuccessful and unnecessary. The 2nd season rectified this, which resulted in 2nd season being more successful and favorably received than 1st season, quite a rare feat to achieve in anime world.

RyanSaotome said:

Which they confuse with plot and development, as if only having such kind of overarching story and intense conflicts qualifies as plot and development. Can't help shaking my head whenever I see comments of "no plot" "no development" about an anime...

rubiopaloosa said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
rubiopaloosa said:

Yeah I know. I'm kidding, of course, still thinks that Horizon it's bazzilion times better than SAO. But SAO is not that bad.

SAO has a much bigger fan base, even though Horizon is also very popular. In both cases, the huge sales of the BDs have to do with the fan base who are not dedicated anime watchers (or otaku) and it just happens the buying power of the SAO fans is more massive. Horizon is actually quite an interesting case as a LN - the sheer size and complexity of the novels can be intimidating and deterring but yet it became very popular, almost despite of its drawbacks (perhaps even because of it). This shows that it is appealing to a reader segment that is more niche than SAO, which restricts the size of its fanbase.

By the way...

after the broadcast of the latest Chuunibyou episode which seems to have received very favorable feedback (with Rikka finally smiling and the story starts to get more romance material involved) I checked the latest ranking in Amazon JP.

Comparing the ranking for all-genre BD/DVD before and after the broadcast:

* Chuunibyou vol.1 #56 -> #42

On the other hand

* Girls und Panzer vol.1 #24 -> #21

Girls und Panzer is still the no.1 bestselling title in Amazon JP among this season's anime....

symbvOct 31, 2012 11:40 PM

Oct 31, 2012 11:39 PM
Sep 2012
^ So currently its tanks vs autism trying to beat censored girls? ^^
Oct 31, 2012 11:42 PM

Sep 2012
^ Sort of - in Amazon Japan BD ranking at least...
That said, looking at a full picture of predicted combined final sales of BD/DVD, the top 4 of this season may still end up being Gintama, Magi, JoJo and possibly ToLoveRu D. Chuunibyo and GirlPan may unseat ToLoveRu for the 4th place but it is really hard to say (and Little Busters' chance is getting slimmer by the day).
symbvOct 31, 2012 11:49 PM

Oct 31, 2012 11:48 PM
Sep 2012
I'm still skeptic about Magi. The manga has really slow pacing that might bore viewers of the anime and will end up dropping their orders. Jojo, gintama and TLRD is up to the fanbase and so far fujoshis have no other show to spend their money on but gintama (assuming remaining kurobas dvds are paid) and the males have their hands full on lots.
Oct 31, 2012 11:50 PM

Sep 2012
I very much agree with Magi. There is absolutely the chance that Magi keeps sliding further down to beyond top 4 thus allowng Chu2byo or GirlPan to take up the emptied slot. On the other hand, I doubt Gintama will easily give up its top position...

Nov 1, 2012 12:44 AM

Jul 2012
^ I don't know I still think Magi has a good chance at being the top 4 of this season.

here is the latest TV rankings (go to 5 for the anime rankings)

http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm

it shows that Magi has a 5.1% rating and is in the top 10 for that week. I realize that TV ratings don't mean much but it at least provides an idea of the audience size thus an increased sales chance.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Nov 1, 2012 1:48 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
Oricon is the best source we have, but it has some limitations:
1. It does not count sales of rental shop copies.
2. It is not good for tracking sales of low-selling shows, because they don't make the rankings, or only make it once.
3. It's not great at tracking the long tail of sales, because if you sell 100 units a week for 10 weeks, you probably won't ever rank, and that means we miss out on 1,000 sales.

Occasionally, distributors will publicly announce how many units of something they've sold or shipped. Unsurprisingly, they only tend to do this with major hits, because it's good PR.

There can be a huge difference between what the distributor reports (which is the more accurate number) and what Oricon reports. You can see a comparison of distributor claims vs Oricon reporting for a number of titles, right here.

Just find the latest example of the discrepancy between Oricon numbers and numbers reported by the distributor.

In the quarterly report by TBS television (which is the major producer of K-On) http://ke.kabupro.jp/tsp/20121101/140120121025024183.pdf , it reports the contribution of K-On movie to its revenue and profit. It says it sells 226k BD/DVD copies, not counting 45k copies distributed for rental. In Oricon, the final figure, combining the limited edition and standard edition, the figure is 164k not counting rental copies. The discrepancy is not as big as Noitamina and many other anime, but it is clear that the underestimation of Oricon for the actual sales can still be substantial.
symbvNov 1, 2012 2:35 AM

Nov 1, 2012 7:03 AM

Apr 2011
SAO domination. I love seeing the haters mad because they can't give a valid reason why they hate SAO.
Nov 1, 2012 7:30 AM

May 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
dtshyk said:
Temporal Blu-ray + DVD Rankings for Summer 2012 (the first volumes)
*1, 34,170 Sword Art Online
*2, 22,254 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II
*6, *7,274 Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse

It's like the Japanese are programmed to automatically buy the anime that panders to otakus the most - regardless of quality.
Nov 1, 2012 7:42 AM

Nov 2011
Hikarusuke said:
SAO domination. I love seeing the haters mad because they can't give a valid reason why they hate SAO.

I dislike it because of the characters and the horrid romance, how is that not a valid reason?
rederoinNov 1, 2012 7:46 AM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Nov 1, 2012 8:18 AM

Sep 2012
^ I actually love the romance most....

jmal said:
Wouldn't yet classify myself as a hater of SAO (just a few weeks ago I was about to import it) but my opinion of it has soured quite a lot, and it's not terribly hard to explain my reasons why: overpowered protagonist, sidelining of all the other interesting characters, deeply inconsistent writing quality, intolerable second cour antagonist, numerous scenes that cared more about "being cool" than making sense visually, and so on.

You actually thought about importing it? The average animation quality and economical direction effort with questionable adaptation decision quickly convinced me it is not one of my top titles in the season, and by ep.3-4 I knew that it was not going any better and is not something for my collection. That said, I am a big fan of Kirito x Asuna pairing and their story is some of the highlights in the story, anime or novel - for that I have my doujin to fall back on :-)

Hikarusuke said:

There are many criticisms against SAO and while a lot are valid, much of the hatred I see here or in other places is quite misplaced and misguided (I am just back from a debate session where some claimed SAO is one of the most "sexist" anime in another corner of MAL) -- I do not consider myself a big fan of SAO at all but I still cannot help joining the debate seeing how insensible some of the complaints are.
symbvNov 1, 2012 8:25 AM

Nov 1, 2012 8:23 AM

Sep 2012
IcecreamManwich said:
Nidhoeggr said:

It's like the Japanese are programmed to automatically buy the anime that panders to otakus the most - regardless of quality.

As I said earlier, those works are LN adaptation and to sell that amount you need far more than the otaku. You need people like the LN fans who are not otaku, most likely not even regular anime watchers at all, to buy the BDs.

Nov 1, 2012 9:08 AM

Feb 2012
Well looks like SAO hit the 34k stalker was predicting. Granted it was 34k for just the BDs, but w/e.

I hope Hyouka gets an extra 1-2k next week since this week was pretty packed. It's been pretty consistent the past 4 volumes so it'd be a shame to see it stop now.

Also great to see Chuunibyou's single up there. It's a great song. The OP itself was pretty seizure inducing though lol. Glad they changed it last ep.
Nov 1, 2012 9:52 AM

Apr 2011
rederoin said:
Hikarusuke said:

I dislike it because of the characters and the horrid romance, how is that not a valid reason?

I not saying people can't hate it. I like the anime myself though I prefer the novels but people act like it's Guilty Crown all over again its not that bad.
Nov 1, 2012 10:36 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

I considered it only because I import a lot of shows. If I imported just 1-2 titles it never would have been under consideration, but I imported 6 from Summer, so it didn't need to be one of my tip top shows.

But there is not a minimum number of titles you need to import I guess? If it is not up to par (as it's shown at the beginning in my opinion) you can just take it off the list... I guess something in SAO caused you to consider it to be import-worthy at least up to near end of 1st cour?

jmal said:

Weekly sales - Title Vol. # [format ranked]
2,588 - Kokoro Connect Vol. 1 [BD]
2,161 - Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica Vol. 2 [1557 BD + 604 DVD]
1,895 - Rinne no Lagrange season 2 Vol. 2 [BD]
1,856 - Natsu-iro Kiseki Vol. 4 [BD]
1,615 - Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! Vol. 2 [BD]
1,455 - Kidou Senshi Gundam AGE Vol. 9 [BD]
1,437 - Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate Vol. 2 [BD]

Thanks for sharing the data. This is relatively quick it seems as 2ch do not always post these late week data.... All are doing a bit less than what low expectation we already have it seems?

Nov 1, 2012 10:39 AM

Feb 2010
Well, not too bad for Kokoro Connect I guess.

But 1,8k for Natsuiro Kiseki doesn't look too good, not even half of what Vol. 1 sold in its first week :/
I hope it's because this week was big and Vol. 1 was a limited edition.
Nov 1, 2012 10:59 AM

Dec 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Well, not too bad for Kokoro Connect I guess.

But 1,8k for Natsuiro Kiseki doesn't look too good, not even half of what Vol. 1 sold in its first week :/
I hope it's because this week was big and Vol. 1 was a limited edition.

Remember that the first volume included DVD whereas subsequent volumes only included blu-ray.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 1, 2012 11:09 AM

Feb 2010
I knew the DVDs were'n included, but it would still not reach 50% of Vol. 1 I think. I only looked up the Vol. 1 sales though, guess it's no surprise considering the sales of the other volumes.
Nov 1, 2012 11:21 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
I was going up and down on SAO in a wild love-hate rollercoaster, but the premise and foundation was really interesting and I was willing to waive away a lot of the things I didn't like because I saw so much potential. Episodes 11 and 13 especially made me think "Wow, I think this show has finally addressed my biggest criticisms. We're on the right path!". I put it on my October order and knew I had a few weeks to cancel before Amazon shipped it out.
Then episode 14 hurt that enthusiasm a lot, and episode 15 (or rather, a specific character) just murdered it.
Seems I am the direct opposite of you - instead of love-hate rollercoaster, once I have my expectation settled regarding the animation, direction and screenplay adaptation quality by ep.3 or so, I have been on a cruising level in terms of love/hate: generally entertaining and worth watching but definitely not something I'd call great or get excited about. And it may have to do with my habit of researching the original work before I start an anime adaptation -- it usually helps me set the mood and expectation, and knew what is on offer and what is not. In SAO's case I never expect to see thrilling fights but I want to see Kirito x Asuna so ep.9-13 are what I patiently waited to see. This approach did not disappoint me and I am happy to have taken the ride. So overall I count myself satisfied and I am enjoying the ALO now, one-dimensional character notwithstanding - it is just that it is not up to import level to me but it is entertaining to watch as it airs.

jmal said:
Some of them are hurt by DVDs not ranking this time. KoiChoco was guaranteed to drop a lot because Vol. 1 had both a event ticket app and was cheaper. NakaImo dropped because Vol. 1 had the naked poster or whatever. LagRin went up a handful of copies, for what it's worth. AGE is just AGE. Kokoroko was in the 2.5-3.0k range people guessed, though on the lower end of it. I thought it might be more like 2.8k at least. So no, not the most impressive bunch.
For anime that is based on VN/ero-game/harem LN the order in terms of sales for vol.1 was KoiChoco > NakaImo > Hagure > BokuH. However if the order of BD sales we currently know stays when we have DVD data, we'll have Hagure > NakaImo > KoiChoco > BokuH (I think BokuH will stay at bottom). My perception is that by the end of the series, NakaImo got the best feedback while BokuH got the worst. KoiChoco might have got better sales if another heroine got the MC but that's just a speculation.
jmal said:

On a completely unrelated note, this is absolutely beautiful:
*18位/*19位 (**2,949 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (1) [Blu-ray]
*28位/*29位 (**2,255 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (2) [Blu-ray]
*29位/*28位 (**1,977 pt) ガールズ&パンツァー (初回限定生産) 1 [Blu-ray]
*34位/*41位 (**2,005 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (3) [Blu-ray]
*36位/*43位 (**1,940 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (4) [Blu-ray]
*38位/*45位 (**1,919 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (6) [Blu-ray]
*39位/*47位 (**1,931 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (5) [Blu-ray]
*54位/*54位 (**1,319 pt) ガールズ & パンツァー 2 (初回限定版) [Blu-ray]
*61位/*61位 (**1,260 pt) ガールズ&パンツァー (初回限定生産) 3 [Blu-ray]
*65位/*67位 (**1,233 pt) ガールズ&パンツァー (初回限定生産) 4 [Blu-ray]
*76位/*75位 (**1,133 pt) ガールズ&パンツァー (初回限定生産) 6 [Blu-ray]
*78位/*76位 (**1,129 pt) ガールズ&パンツァー (初回限定生産) 5 [Blu-ray]

I also noticed it being mentioned in 2ch. What is interesting is that even though the major cities like Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya all got Chuunibyou broadcast on Wed night. The sales rank of Chuunibyou did not move much on Thu. But tonight (Thu night) Animax, a cable station, aired the show and suddenly the whole series jumped up in ranks. I wonder why this should be so... Are there more potential Amazon buyers among Animax watchers than the network channel watchers? A bit puzzling...
symbvNov 1, 2012 11:37 AM

Nov 1, 2012 11:34 AM

Sep 2012
^ The strange thing is that a "god-tier" episode usually shows its effect almost immediately. The BD ranking for Madoka and SAO rose rapidly up in Amazon once ep.3 and ep.10 was aired respectively. The rise took place over the whole night and it was impossible to miss. However this is not what we see in Chuunibyou, granted the "god-tier" effect of this ep.5 is not on the same level as Madoka ep.3 or SAO ep.10 but still....

Nov 1, 2012 7:33 PM

Sep 2011
Wow... SAO was gobbeled up like candy. nearly 30k sales in the first week, it's a cultural hit
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Nov 1, 2012 7:57 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

On a completely unrelated note, this is absolutely beautiful:
*18位/*19位 (**2,949 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (1) [Blu-ray]
*28位/*29位 (**2,255 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (2) [Blu-ray]
*29位/*28位 (**1,977 pt) ガールズ&パンツァー (初回限定生産) 1 [Blu-ray]
*34位/*41位 (**2,005 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (3) [Blu-ray]
*36位/*43位 (**1,940 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (4) [Blu-ray]
*38位/*45位 (**1,919 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (6) [Blu-ray]
*39位/*47位 (**1,931 pt) 中二病でも恋がしたい! (5) [Blu-ray]
*54位/*54位 (**1,319 pt) ガールズ & パンツァー 2 (初回限定版) [Blu-ray]
*61位/*61位 (**1,260 pt) ガールズ&パンツァー (初回限定生産) 3 [Blu-ray]
*65位/*67位 (**1,233 pt) ガールズ&パンツァー (初回限定生産) 4 [Blu-ray]
*76位/*75位 (**1,133 pt) ガールズ&パンツァー (初回限定生産) 6 [Blu-ray]
*78位/*76位 (**1,129 pt) ガールズ&パンツァー (初回限定生産) 5 [Blu-ray]

If only Hidamari were doing the same thing, my top 3 shows would all be dominating right now.

Jmal, your wish has been granted !!!

I've just checked Amazon, the current top ranking titles of this season are

16 Chuunibyou vol.7
19 Chuunibyou vol.1
32 Girls und Panzer vol.1
45 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycom vol.1

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Nov 1, 2012 8:11 PM

Sep 2012
jmal said:

Yeah but unfortunately, it's only because of an event ticket announcement. =/ Jumped 54 spots in one hour after that was revealed. I wish it could rank 50th or better just on its own merits, because this probably won't amount to much.

Well, this is almost the only way to get your top 3 shows to be the top 3 bestselling in the season, right? :-) So guess we should not complain much :-) Besides, as past experience show, it is still entirely possible event ticket does not move the ranking this much (look at Total Eclipse vol.2), so I guess such positive reaction of fans is still commendable, as we all know nowadays people often buy BDs for reason outside the inherent merits of the anime itself - the extras, the commentary, drama/music CD, event ticket all count. At the end what sells wins ;-)

Hidamari not likely to be in top 3 when all dust settles, but it is good to see it bask in the glory of the moment, even though it may be a short one.

Nov 1, 2012 10:29 PM

Sep 2012
Thanks for sharing the data!

I notice that Smile Precure BD Box does not show up, even though it was released in the past week (Oct 26). It does not even show up in the list of released titles in Amazon Stalker http://www27392u.sakura.ne.jp/no_update_index.cgi where other Oct 26 releases show up...

I went to check 2ch about the mysterious rise of Chuunibyou titles more than one day after its first broadcast (which reach all the major cities in Japan) --- a lot of discussion but no one really had a convincing answer. So it remains a mystery.

Nov 1, 2012 10:37 PM

Sep 2012
^ Sorry I missed that. Should have spent more time reading the chart instead of reading only the bottom section.

I also managed to find it in the list of released titles in Amazon Stalker. It is buried in the huge amount of titles released on Oct 26. The final points reached is 2796 pts so it is not too far from the final number (though still quite a bit of overestimate).

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» 'High Card' Gets New Episode

DatRandomDude - Mar 25

3 by Memore »»
2 hours ago

» '30-sai made Doutei dato Mahoutsukai ni Nareru Rashii' Gets Compilation Movie in 2024

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

5 by Memore »»
3 hours ago

» Netflix Produces 'Hanma Baki vs. Kengan Ashura' Anime Movie

Hyperion_PS - Mar 22

7 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Kami no Tou' 2nd Season Announces New Staff, Supporting Cast, Theme Songs

DatRandomDude - Mar 22

2 by malvarez1 »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Houseki no Kuni' Concludes Serialization

Vindstot - Mar 25

30 by GL_ »»
Yesterday, 7:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.