Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 29, 2012 4:56 PM

Jan 2010
Okay so I watched through the First Arc and a little bit of the Second Arc and I feel really confused about death in the series. So Here are my questions;

1. Okay, you know how a player dies in the game they die in real life right? Well, Kirito died and also Asuna in the last boss battle. Yet Kirito woke up and Asuna didn't? Why is this?

2. There were about (don't quote me on this) about 300 people in Asuna's situation that didn't wake up either but not actually died. ???? This part is confusing me also.

3. This may be related to question 2 but - Why didn't the 300 people actualy die die. Why are they in this coma state? I thought they were meant to be DEAD.

Yeah Umm thats it. Sorry about annoying questions but I thought I centralize the questions instead of going through 55+ pages of different episode threads to find the answers. Hope that all is good.
Oct 29, 2012 5:07 PM

Sep 2012
If you watch episode 17 it's all explained. :D

Oct 29, 2012 5:10 PM
Jul 2012
i might not be correct but asuna was linked to ALO instead of waking up like kirito. As you can see she's in ALO in episode 17. same goes for the other 300. i dont know why though
Oct 29, 2012 5:17 PM

Jan 2010
jjrocks24 said:
i might not be correct but asuna was linked to ALO instead of waking up like kirito. As you can see she's in ALO in episode 17. same goes for the other 300. i dont know why though

Ahhh okay that makes heaps sense. But didn't Kirito Die? Or did he kill the boss (creator) JUST in time for the boss to die first, then he died. The game is cleared so he is void of dying???? ^___^;
hyperkittyOct 29, 2012 5:21 PM
Oct 29, 2012 5:18 PM

Jan 2010
Kirito-Dragneel said:
If you watch episode 17 it's all explained. :D

Will do :D :D
Oct 29, 2012 5:20 PM

Aug 2009
hyperkitty said:
jjrocks24 said:

Ahhh okay that makes heaps sense. But didn't Kirito Die? Or did he kill the boss (creator) JUST in time for the boss to die first, then he died. The game is cleared so he is void of dying ^___^

Well you answered it yourself.XD
Oct 29, 2012 5:21 PM

May 2009
The answer is bad writing.
Oct 29, 2012 5:23 PM

Aug 2009
Thelostcup said:
The answer is bad writing.
Or you have to pay attention to the show.
Oct 29, 2012 5:23 PM

Jan 2010
ssjokg said:

Ahhh okay that makes heaps sense. But didn't Kirito Die? Or did he kill the boss (creator) JUST in time for the boss to die first, then he died. The game is cleared so he is void of dying ^___^

AMG! I did just answer my question Fail whale. Well now I know about the Kirito Death situation ^_^;
Oct 29, 2012 5:40 PM

Dec 2011
Is the bad adaption.

Kirito throghts:

"Kayaba said me and Asuna cleared the game together... So, Asuna is alive too ? Yuuki Asuna..."
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2012 5:41 PM
Apr 2011
The books, the books will guide you to wisdrom
Oct 30, 2012 12:03 AM

Jun 2008
1. Asuna died, but remember the revival item that can only revive a person 10 minutes after death? Asuna "survived" because Kirito managed to clear the game before her 10 minutes to death. Kirito survived because he killed Heathcliff before he died.

2. Explained in the latest episode, 300 survivors including Asuna were filtered and transferred into a different server.

3. These 300 people were also survivors of SAO, meaning that they were alive when the game was cleared by Kirito. Because they were only transferred to a different server they still retain the same "comatose" condition.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Oct 30, 2012 12:05 AM

Sep 2012
kaimax said:

3. These 300 people were also survivors of SAO, meaning that they were alive when the game was cleared by Kirito. Because they were only transferred to a different server they still retain the same "comatose" condition.

I wonder what the other 299 people are doing now in the ALO game....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 30, 2012 12:11 AM

Sep 2012
Leojg said:
The books, the books will guide you to wisdrom

Pretty much. Anime isn't doing a great job of explaining the minor details and making the characters look a lot worse personality wise than they actually are.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Oct 30, 2012 12:20 AM

Jun 2009
symbv said:
kaimax said:

We can only assume they're stuck like Asuna without a logout button

Question is why aren't they being loud and ask for help from the ALO players?

Unless of course, they're all isolated lab-rats like our little damsel in distress Asuna.

Well.. We'll have to wait for them to explain.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2012 1:33 AM

Jul 2011
inb4whoisthis said:
kaimax said:
1. Asuna died, but remember the revival item that can only revive a person 10 minutes after death? Asuna "survived" because Kirito managed to clear the game before her 10 minutes to death. Kirito survived because he killed Heathcliff before he died.

But wasn't the revival item given to Klein instead? Not to mention it was given to him a long time ago. It wouldn't really make sense to me if he still didn't use it around that time.

What kaimax meant was that the revival item outlined the fact that the nerve gear wouldn't automatically fry the brain, since it had a time limit of a few seconds after a person's death to work.

Oct 30, 2012 1:43 AM

Sep 2008
AirStyles said:

Unless of course, they're all isolated lab-rats like our little damsel in distress Asuna.

Oct 30, 2012 1:45 AM

Jun 2009
Scrypt said:
AirStyles said:

I don't remember the anime answered it.
Oct 30, 2012 1:51 AM
Sep 2011
AirStyles said:
Scrypt said:
AirStyles said:

It did in episode 17 when Sugou explain the situation to Asuna and they even animate the diagram of "How unlucky people got stuck in SAO."

It's pretty obvious that they were kept secretly so they couldn't run wildly and talk to other ALO players about the human experiment and stuffs.

And it's pretty much obvious that ALO was created as a virtual game just to hide what Sugou did. The people didn't expect that 300 players of SAO were being kept in ALO, because ALO was created 1 year before SAO players escaped.

It's not that hard, human have a brain, don't they?
HibiChouchouOct 30, 2012 1:56 AM
Oct 30, 2012 1:51 AM

Sep 2008
AirStyles said:

i doubt it will either till around the last 2 episodes(whereabouts of the missing 300 spartans that is)...at the moment it's a guessing game for non-LN readers and fodder for SAO haters to state another 'supposed' plot hole....
Oct 30, 2012 2:00 AM

Sep 2012
HibiChouchou said:

It did in episode 17 when Sugou explain the situation to Asuna and they even animate the diagram of "How unlucky people got stuck in SAO."

It's pretty obvious that they were kept secretly so they couldn't run wildly and talk to other ALO players about the human experiment and stuffs.

I remember that part well but my question is more like how they are being trapped. A bunch of bird cages? All hanging on top of the World-Tree? What kind of appearances do they take? Or they are just frozen without consciousness somewhere in the system?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 30, 2012 2:08 AM

Jun 2009
HibiChouchou said:

And it's pretty much obvious that ALO was created as a virtual game just to hide what Sugou did. The people didn't expect that 300 players of SAO were being kept in ALO, because ALO was created 1 year before SAO players escaped.

it's not about whether humans have brains or not. It's about them actually covering things that are necessary.

We simply don't know where those peeps are.

We can make guesses, but the actual answers are not given, and there's more than several possibilities. Unless they answer it in the future episode, we simply won't know what happen to the other 299.

Were they locked inside a dungeon? Or inside birdcages?
Were they experimented on using supposed brain control?
Were they set under certain conditions that they just can't overcome?(
Are majority of them just got left at a "You are dead" screen until they'll be experiemented on?

Less than 10 seconds of screen time, a short dialog and a still image of the "299" is more than enough to cover it.

Or... The anime director forgot/ignores it?
AirStylesOct 30, 2012 2:16 AM
Oct 30, 2012 2:17 AM
Oct 2012
hyperkitty said:
Okay so I watched through the First Arc and a little bit of the Second Arc and I feel really confused about death in the series. So Here are my questions;

1. Okay, you know how a player dies in the game they die in real life right? Well, Kirito died and also Asuna in the last boss battle. Yet Kirito woke up and Asuna didn't? Why is this?

2. There were about (don't quote me on this) about 300 people in Asuna's situation that didn't wake up either but not actually died. ???? This part is confusing me also.

3. This may be related to question 2 but - Why didn't the 300 people actualy die die. Why are they in this coma state? I thought they were meant to be DEAD.

Yeah Umm thats it. Sorry about annoying questions but I thought I centralize the questions instead of going through 55+ pages of different episode threads to find the answers. Hope that all is good.

1. There's some time between your ingame death and the brainfrying. When Kirito defeated Heathcliff(or better Heathcliff let himself get defeated by Kirito) all remaining players became immortal and brainfrying was stopped.

2. Didn't Sugou say this in episode 17? Can't remember if he said it yet but he hijacked their minds along with Asuna's before they were logged off.

3. See 2.

AirStyles said:
symbv said:
kaimax said:

Well. We'll have to wait for them to explain.

Oct 30, 2012 2:20 AM
Sep 2011
AirStyles said:
HibiChouchou said:

it's not about whether humans have brains or not. It's about them actually covering things that are necessary.

We can make guesses, but the actual answers are not given, and there's more than several possibilities. Unless they answer it in the future episode, we simply won't know what happen to the other 299.

Were they set under certain conditions that they just can't overcome?
Are majority of them just got left at a "You are dead" screen until they'll be experiemented on?

That kind of stuff is not a plot hole, it doesn't need to be explained.
Have you ever wondered where US government keep the war prisoners/terrorists?

The necessary things at this moment in SAO are:
_ 300 SAO player were stuck in ALO when they escaped SAO including Asuna.
_ They were experimented on as it explained by Sugou.

Where ? It's a secret place, nobody knows except Sugou and his team (as he said before, only his team involved in this experiment). It wouldn't be a secret place anymore if they tell you where he kept those SAO players.

And that is not "a plot hole."
Oct 30, 2012 2:25 AM

Jun 2009
HibiChouchou said:
AirStyles said:
HibiChouchou said:

Where ? It's a secret place, nobody knows except Sugou and his team (as he said before, only his team involved in this experiment). It wouldn't be a secret place anymore if they tell you where he kept those SAO players.

I don't remember calling it a plot hole.
Oct 30, 2012 2:38 AM
Sep 2011
HibiChouchou said:
AirStyles said:
HibiChouchou said:

It's about them actually covering things that are necessary.

Where they were kept, whether inside a dungeon or a birdcages is not necessary for us to know.
Or should I say, these questions you've just asked aren't necessary for us to know. And it doesn't affect on the progress of the story.
Oct 30, 2012 2:39 AM
Oct 2012
It will get covered, if you really want to know see my spoiler in the previous post.
Oct 30, 2012 2:43 AM

Sep 2012
HibiChouchou said:

Where they were kept, whether inside a dungeon or a birdcages is not necessary for us to know.
Or should I say, these questions you've just asked aren't necessary for us to know. And it doesn't affect on the progress of the story.

I know that it is not necessary for us to know. I just raised it as a curious question. Your replies have not been helping much in terms of answering that question though.

Oct 30, 2012 8:16 AM
Sep 2011
All questions about whereabouts of 300 SAO survivors will be answered a little later in anime. It plays significant role in plot.
Oct 30, 2012 9:16 AM

Sep 2009
Obstinate said:
inb4whoisthis said:
kaimax said:

But wasn't the revival item given to Klein instead? Not to mention it was given to him a long time ago. It wouldn't really make sense to me if he still didn't use it around that time.

What kaimax meant was that the revival item outlined the fact that the nerve gear wouldn't automatically fry the brain, since it had a time limit of a few seconds after a person's death to work.

Yes, this is correct. There is a lag, albeit small, b/w the HP dropping to 0 and death in the real world from the Nerve Gear. I am pretty sure though that the revival item can only be used within 5 seconds of HP dropping to zero. Don't quote me on that though since I don't remember 100%.

Oct 30, 2012 9:20 AM

Sep 2009
symbv said:
HibiChouchou said:

I remember that part well but my question is more like how they are being trapped. A bunch of bird cages? All hanging on top of the World-Tree? What kind of appearances do they take? Or they are just frozen without consciousness somewhere in the system?

All this gets answered later, probably next episode or two. If you can't wait then there is a spoiler from a previous poster although that takes the fun out of it.

Oct 30, 2012 1:40 PM

Aug 2011
xuezhi said:
Obstinate said:
inb4whoisthis said:
kaimax said:

Yes, this is correct. There is a lag, albeit small, b/w the HP dropping to 0 and death in the real world from the Nerve Gear. I am pretty sure though that the revival item can only be used within 5 seconds of HP dropping to zero. Don't quote me on that though since I don't remember 100%.

Time to revive is 10 seconds according to ep. 3. So it could not help.
I guess they were just treated specially by Heathcliff/Akihiko as they cleared the game. But anyway that last episode was awful with lot of miracles happening =(
Oct 30, 2012 2:54 PM

Aug 2009
sarchon said:
xuezhi said:
Obstinate said:
inb4whoisthis said:
kaimax said:

Time to revive is 10 seconds according to ep. 3. So it could not help.
I guess they were just treated specially by Heathcliff/Akihiko as they cleared the game. But anyway that last episode was awful with lot of miracles happening =(

Dont count the seconds with how the anime showed it.Many times in adaptions a single moment looks like it took many seconds to happen.
Oct 30, 2012 4:49 PM
Apr 2011
Asuna suvrived becouse of the following reasons(in my opinion):

1- Akihiko-Heathcliff promised kirito that he would prevent Asuna to die, at least for a time, maybe he disabled the Asuna's nervgear "killershock" option and since he was the admin he can do such.

2- Also, being the admin, he can make another revival item whenever he wants, so its posible that he had make one and used to revive asuna.

3- Since Asuna death was rigth before the end of the game, is posible that the "kill singal" did not activate. It can be deduced that from the ingame death to the real life death there is a time span of 10 minutes(the period of time while the revival item can be used), maybe the logout last least than this.
Oct 30, 2012 4:53 PM

Aug 2009
Leojg said:
Asuna suvrived becouse of the following reasons(in my opinion):

1- Akihiko-Heathcliff promised kirito that he would prevent Asuna to die, at least for a time, maybe he disabled the Asuna's nervgear "killershock" option and since he was the admin he can do such.

2- Also, being the admin, he can make another revival item whenever he wants, so its posible that he had make one and used to revive asuna.

3- Since Asuna death was rigth before the end of the game, is posible that the "kill singal" did not activate. It can be deduced that from the ingame death to the real life death there is a time span of 10 minutes(the period of time while the revival item can be used).

it is 10 secs.

Also I too believe in the first and third theory but the second is impossible .We see Kayaba doing nothing during that time.Both he and Sugou need to move their hands or speak their commands even if they are the admins.
Oct 30, 2012 9:28 PM

Oct 2012
ssjokg said:
hyperkitty said:
jjrocks24 said:

hahahah so true
Oct 31, 2012 4:45 AM

Jun 2008
Lol, why do I keep remembering the Time of deahs as 10 minutes... >_>

Cause it felt "longer" that 10 seconds? lol

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Oct 31, 2012 6:33 AM

Jun 2009
kaimax said:

I think it really differ from people to people.

Asuna's definitely last longer than 10 seconds. While those cannon fodder just...

Boss Slash
"Uwwaaaahhh" *fly*
Before they even land on the ground. *Shatter in pieces*
Oct 31, 2012 6:41 AM

Aug 2009
AirStyles said:
kaimax said:

Asuna's definitely last longer than 10 seconds. While those cannon fodder just...

Boss Slash
"Uwwaaaahhh" *fly*

The 10 secs rule is from the moment the HP reaches 0 and the body shatters till the NervGear sends the signal to fry the brain,not when the HP is getting close to 0.

LN:

But yeah the fact that all the other players(except Kuradeel,the knight in ep2,and Godfree maybe) were going *poof* is true.
Oct 31, 2012 7:06 AM
Sep 2011
First death in game (shattering to pieces), than disappearing of posteffect (10 seconds, revival is possible by item, no death IRL), and after that death IRL, but maybe not immediate. There can be small lag to avoid bugs too, there is no way to find out this gap in game (at maximum several minutes, not definetely hours).
Oct 31, 2012 8:10 AM

Sep 2009
AirStyles said:

Boss Slash
"Uwwaaaahhh" *fly*

I don't think it would be different from person to person. That would make absolutely no sense from a programming stand point. It is incredibly inefficient to write up a different dying algorithm for each player in SAO. For a game as large as SAO, the same dying algorithm should be used for each person.

I think the reason Asuna survived was either because Kayaba wanted to fulfill his promise to Kirito on preventing Asuna from dying or Kirito beat Kayba before the 10s lag b/w HP reaching zero and brain getting fried by Nerve Gear.

ssjokg has the correct explanation for the revival item from the LN. The time is 10s, which I remembered wrong as 5s =.=

Oct 31, 2012 8:13 AM

Aug 2009
xuezhi said:
AirStyles said:

Boss Slash
"Uwwaaaahhh" *fly*

I don't think it would be different from person to person. That would make absolutely no sense from a programming stand point. It is incredibly inefficient to write up a different dying algorithm for each player in SAO. For a game as large as SAO, the same dying algorithm should be used for each person.

I think the reason Asuna survived was either because Kayaba wanted to fulfill his promise to Kirito on preventing Asuna from dying or Kirito beat Kayba before the 10s lag b/w HP reaching zero and brain getting fried by Nerve Gear.

ssjokg has the correct explanation for the revival item from the LN. The time is 10s, which I remembered wrong as 5s =.=

In the anime everyone except the important chars was shattering the moment he/she got critically hit.Not the writer's fault.
Oct 31, 2012 8:29 AM

Sep 2009
ssjokg said:

In the anime everyone except the important chars was shattering the moment he/she got critically hit.Not the writer's fault.

Yup, it is because those characters are not really important to the series. The producers probably did that to save time to concentrate on the important parts. I have to say, the anime did not do a very good job at a lot of things for SAO, but ehhh I still like animation and sounds.

Oct 31, 2012 6:06 PM
Oct 2012
A very real possibility is that when Heathcliff removed his "immortal object" classification, he also disabled the kill function at the same time.

This is why all three were able to survive to watch the fall of Aincard.

While Healtcliff always intended to die with the end of the game, he wanted to see the end of the game, and he had some post-life plans he wanted to achieve.
Oct 31, 2012 6:10 PM

Aug 2009
Takuan_Soho said:
A very real possibility is that when Heathcliff removed his "immortal object" classification, he also disabled the kill function at the same time.

While Healtcliff always intended to die with the end of the game, he wanted to see the end of the game, and he had some post-life plans he wanted to achieve.

I highly doubt that.
Oct 31, 2012 8:40 PM

Sep 2012
ssjokg said:
Takuan_Soho said:

I highly doubt that.

But I think he is on to something in the "post-life plans" part.

Oct 31, 2012 11:11 PM
Sep 2012
symbv said:
ssjokg said:
Takuan_Soho said:

I highly doubt that.

You know Heathcliff could've programmed something extra into Kirito and Asuna's headgear just like he gave Kirito his duel-wield ability. He always knew that Kirito and Asuna were special and I think that he knew that if anyone would beat him it would be Kirito.
Nov 1, 2012 12:58 PM

Aug 2011
AiCon said:
symbv said:
ssjokg said:
Takuan_Soho said:

I highly doubt that.

You know Heathcliff could've programmed something extra into Kirito and Asuna's headgear just like he gave Kirito his duel-wield ability. He always knew that Kirito and Asuna were special and I think that he knew that if anyone would beat him it would be Kirito.

Actually Kirito did beat him once already. Wonder why he could not do the same again... Why all those miracles were needed really...
Nov 1, 2012 1:45 PM

Sep 2012
sarchon said:

Actually Kirito did beat him once already. Wonder why he could not do the same again... Why all those miracles were needed really...

When Heathcliff beat Kirito the first time, he had not seen the "miracle" of Asuna followed by the "miracle" of Kirito. My understanding is that once he'd seen those and realized human ability could go beyond the confines of his design, he accepted that it is time to end this world of his design. That means him accepting end of his mortal life too. But of courseas Takuan_Soho said, he might "have some post-life plans he wanted to achieve" too - anyway to him Aincrad is never an end to itself and he never meant to stay in it forever lording over thousands of trapped souls.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.