Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 25, 2012 9:35 PM

Oct 2012
If you don't know him you can watch his videos here.

Personally I find his videos really funny and entertaining but sometimes he really get overboard in his criticism. He finds tiny things that he can rant in an episode so he can post something in youtube.

lionheart04Oct 27, 2012 9:36 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 25, 2012 10:14 PM

Jan 2012
Those videos are mostly made for comedic purposes so it isn't right to call it actual criticism. Everyone with a brain should know by now that Sword Art Online can't be taken too seriously. That said, he raises some valid points in his rants and the nature of the videos makes it more endurable for fans than reading a wall of text hating on their favourite show so he might actually serve to change the mind of some people which is always kool I guess.
Oct 25, 2012 10:17 PM

Sep 2011
Pointless. He has good points, but I'm not a person to watch through another persons views on a video, as their voices get obnoxious and annoying to the point where I want to smash my screen. He tries way too hard to get other peoples views, but that's just my view on things.
Oct 25, 2012 10:27 PM

Aug 2009
GuZ said:
Those videos are mostly made for comedic purposes so it isn't right to call it actual criticism. Everyone with a brain should know by now that Sword Art Online can't be taken too seriously. That said, he raises some valid points in his rants and the nature of the videos makes it more endurable for fans than reading a wall of text hating on their favourite show so he might actually serve to change the mind of some people which is always kool I guess.

This. I don't share his hate for the show, but he does point out some points that I also had problem with during my short time with SAO. For me, three episodes was all it took for me to say "I've had enough"; and I didn't see anything about SAO that I'd consider good or enjoyable. Whether you take his criticism seriously or not is up to you. Me? I'm just having fun listening to him rant on, regardless of how much I agree or disagree with whatever he's saying.
dietmangoOct 25, 2012 10:34 PM
Oct 25, 2012 10:31 PM

Apr 2012
He recognizes shit when it's shit. But it's only because he's a hipster hypocrite who hates on anything that's popular.

I'd take him seriously if he didn't give Angel Beats a 10/10 and call it perfection.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Oct 25, 2012 10:34 PM
Aug 2011
Awesome. He does his fat otaku voice naturally too. His reaction videos after the episode is like a breath of fresh air.

Sure, he hates most shit, but he always raises extremely good points.
Oct 25, 2012 10:36 PM

Oct 2009
Lol, 10/10.

EDIT:

Lol again.
YanofliesOct 25, 2012 10:40 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2012 10:47 PM

Feb 2012
I don't watch his videos and I don't plan to :D

*doesn't give a fuck~*
Oct 25, 2012 10:55 PM

Jun 2009
While it's no secret I don't like SAO too much...

I stopped watching that review within the first minute... Questioning why the black dude is in Japan? Does this guy even watch the show?

If you wanna hate a show, at least watch it ffs.

Not a big fan of those type of review. I prefer those that gives overall series review more seriously with a little jokes in them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2012 11:21 PM
Feb 2012
His reactions are better than the actual show though.

Sorry A-1 pictures that you had to spend time and money by working on SAO instead of using those 2 things for the greater good.
a.k.a Space Bros, Shinsekai Yori, and Magi.
Oct 25, 2012 11:23 PM

Nov 2010
HauntingShock said:

*doesn't give a fuck~*
True that.

I don't hate SAO, it's nothing great to me but it isn't extremely bad. So I don't want to watch a video of someone just talking about how bad it is, I would get no enjoyment from that.
Oct 25, 2012 11:31 PM

Dec 2010
HauntingShock said:

*doesn't give a fuck~*
Oct 25, 2012 11:37 PM

Jun 2009
ahneeme said:

Sorry A-1 pictures that you had to spend time and money by working on SAO instead of using those 2 things for the greater good.

After looking at SAO... You sure you wanna let them handle those shows? O.o
Oct 25, 2012 11:41 PM

Sep 2010
AirStyles said:
ahneeme said:

One show doesn't ruin an entire production company.

And last I checked A-1 was already spending money on Space Bros, Shinsekai Yori, and Magi all at the same time along side SAO. A company being able to work on independent projects is amazing.

Oct 25, 2012 11:47 PM

Jun 2009
Anime_Name said:
AirStyles said:
ahneeme said:

One show doesn't ruin an entire production company.

And last I checked A-1 was already spending money on Space Bros, Shinsekai Yori, and Magi all at the same time along side SAO. A company being able to work on independent projects is amazing.

Woah... Never knew A-1 worked on those... The quality of SAO have clouded my vision.

silly me.
Oct 25, 2012 11:48 PM
Mar 2010
HauntingShock said:

*doesn't give a fuck~*

This. Pretty much all chapter/episode "review" videos on YouTube are a complete waste of time. Doubly so when the person is just bashing a series over irrelevant details, or things they could easily figure out if they weren't so busy hating the series, or just the series obviously isn't going to go the direction they want, but they bash it for not going that direction.
Oct 25, 2012 11:57 PM

Sep 2012
AirStyles said:

Anime_Name said:

Woah... Never knew A-1 worked on those... The quality of SAO have clouded my vision.

silly me.

I notice a tendency among foreign fans to judge a work by its studio but often without much idea of what the studio did, focusing too much on just one or two works that they somehow remember but not others.

Just for everyone's information

A1 Picture was 100% owned by the production company Aniplex who in turn is owned by Sony Entertainment, and since its foundation it has made the following works among others

Black Butler, Working!!, Occult Academy, Blue Exorcist, Anohana, Uta no Prince-sama, The Idolm@aster, Tsuritama

As can be seen, the works made by a studio can be quite different from one another, particularly if the studio is a bigger one like A-1 and is not dominated by a certain personality (like Shinbo in Shaft) or a certain philosophy (like KyoAni).
symbvOct 26, 2012 12:39 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 26, 2012 12:07 AM

Jun 2007
He can't pronounce anything remotely Japanese for shit and he tries way too hard to be funny and come off as being another one of the more popular gaming guys who do things like this, jesus christ that was horrible. I don't mean his opinions, but the way he talks, things he says, and his try-hard crap is just sappy and bad. Lots of random unfitting 'fucking' 'fucking' and 'fucking' and the monotonous jontron wannabe style of talking. Any valid points or amusing things he may have had to say he washed out by trying to imitate actual popular video creators styles and doing a really bad job of everything he was trying to accomplish. I really don't like SAO, so no, I'm not offended by his opinions - I'm offended by how shitty his video is and how he thought ripping off all these actually popular video creators styles would make HIM popular. That's not how it works, you don't become some magical amalgamation of everyone by trying to mimic them and mixing it all together, instead you get a pile of shit.

It's insufferable. Never watched and definitely never plan to now.

symbv said:

I notice a tendency among foreign fans to judge a work by its studio but often without much idea of what the studio did, focusing too much on just one or two works that they somehow remembers.

It's the worst with JC Staff. They make a few really bad shows in the past few years and suddenly all their masterpieces in the medium as well as just very high quality stuff is magically forgotten. Hell, a lot of the stuff they made changed the entire industry and still has massive effects on anime today.
TallonKarrde23Oct 26, 2012 12:15 AM
Oct 26, 2012 12:11 AM

Jul 2008
The first two or three videos were pretty funny and have some points, after that I found myself wondering why he kept going. I mean I totally know how he feels, I was in his shoes after seeing everyone praising Clannad, but I dropped the show within a couple of episodes. I've always been the kind of person that finds people who keep watching shows they hate to be idiots, it's just simply counter productive because the point of watching tv shows to begin with is to enjoy them. Though if I had to guess, he is doing it to boost views on his channel seeing how SAO is the fad show atm because he seems like a fairly smart fellow from his other videos.

Can't really complain without being a hypocrite anyway, I've been pissing off Key fans on these forums since I joined this community in 2008.
Oct 26, 2012 12:36 AM

Jun 2009
Defiance said:
The first two or three videos were pretty funny and have some points, after that I found myself wondering why he kept going. I mean I totally know how he feels, I was in his shoes after seeing everyone praising Clannad, but I dropped the show within a couple of episodes. I've always been the kind of person that finds people who keep watching shows they hate to be idiots, it's just simply counter productive because the point of watching tv shows to begin with is to enjoy them. Though if I had to guess, he is doing it to boost views on his channel seeing how SAO is the fad show atm because he seems like a fairly smart fellow from his other videos.

Can't really complain without being a hypocrite anyway, I've been pissing off Key fans on these forums since I joined this community in 2008.

Mind shedding some light on why SAO is one of your favorite?
Oct 26, 2012 12:55 AM

Jul 2008
AirStyles said:
Defiance said:

I simply find it enjoyable to watch. Like many critics(including Draconis) have pointed out, SAO is a show that many anime fans feel is relatable. I mean, lets be serious for a second and think about how many of us have stayed up playing video games while being single and wanting a girlfriend/boyfriend. It's a show that gives you a warm feeling knowing that even with your faults that someone is out there for you. This is a theme that is shared with another one of my guilty pleasure shows, Ah! My Goddess.

I do have to admit I am a sucker for affirmative relationships between the male and female lead though, where the leads don't mindlessly bounce around a relationship that eventually leads nowhere.

I also generally reserve my last/fifth "favorite" spot for what I find particularly interesting at the time and it changes pretty frequently. So if you are expecting a huge argument from me on the topic of SAO, I'm sorry to disappoint >_>.

EDIT:lol speaking of draconismarch. He actually attempted to bait me in a separate thread a little over a week ago on this very subject.
Link Here
DefianceOct 26, 2012 1:01 AM
Oct 26, 2012 1:07 AM

Jun 2009
Defiance said:
AirStyles said:
Defiance said:

I simply find it enjoyable to watch. Like many critics(including Draconis) have pointed out, SAO is a show that many anime fans feel is relatable. I mean, lets be serious for a second and think about how many of us have stayed up playing video games while being single and wanting a girlfriend/boyfriend. It's a show that gives you a warm feeling knowing that even with your faults that someone is out there for you. This is a theme that is shared with another one of my guilty pleasure shows, Ah! My Goddess.

I do have to admit I am a sucker for affirmative relationships between the male and female lead though, where the leads don't mindlessly bounce around a relationship that eventually leads nowhere.

I also generally reserve my last/fifth "favorite" spot for what I find particularly interesting at the time and it changes pretty frequently. So if you are expecting a huge argument from me on the topic of SAO, I'm sorry to disappoint >_>.

EDIT:lol speaking of draconismarch. He actually attempted to bait me in a separate thread a little over a week ago on this very subject.
Link Here

You're right, I am quite disappointed... I'm rather bored, and was trying to bait you into a Clannad vs SAO argument...

Oh wellz. I'll go play tetris instead.
Oct 26, 2012 1:08 AM

Sep 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
He can't pronounce anything remotely Japanese for shit and he tries way too hard to be funny and come off as being another one of the more popular gaming guys who do things like this, jesus christ that was horrible. I don't mean his opinions, but the way he talks, things he says, and his try-hard crap is just sappy and bad. Lots of random unfitting 'fucking' 'fucking' and 'fucking' and the monotonous jontron wannabe style of talking. Any valid points or amusing things he may have had to say he washed out by trying to imitate actual popular video creators styles and doing a really bad job of everything he was trying to accomplish. I really don't like SAO, so no, I'm not offended by his opinions - I'm offended by how shitty his video is and how he thought ripping off all these actually popular video creators styles would make HIM popular. That's not how it works, you don't become some magical amalgamation of everyone by trying to mimic them and mixing it all together, instead you get a pile of shit.

Your post above gives a very vivid and accurate description of the main problems with his video and his style. I think everyone should read this before going to watch his video. I am particularly turned off by the lack of knowledge and understanding of how Japanese anime works, his frequent use of casually rough style of speech, unfunny humor and self-important impression.

TallonKarrde23 said:
symbv said:

I notice a tendency among foreign fans to judge a work by its studio but often without much idea of what the studio did, focusing too much on just one or two works that they somehow remembers.

It's the worst with JC Staff. They make a few really bad shows in the past few years and suddenly all their masterpieces in the medium as well as just very high quality stuff is magically forgotten. Hell, a lot of the stuff they made changed the entire industry and still has massive effects on anime today.

JC Staff's history went back even longer than A1 and has made a lot more works than A1, so one needs to have a broader perspective to judge JC Staff. They made a lot of milestone works in anime (e.g. boosted Kugikyu to star status with Shana and Zero no Tsukaima, or whipped up a frenzy among anime fans with Index/Railgun) or well respected works that appeal to the mainstream (Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile, Bakuman, Toradora) or just well-meaning works that do not have more than a niche market (Taisho Baseball Girls, Aoi Hana, Otome Youkai Zakuro, JoshiRaku), and they are famous for being one big factor in leading the wave of adaptation of LN in anime production. However, it is also true that it has acquired quite a lot of criticisms (and haters) with its effort of adaptation that the fans of the original manga/novel often dislike (and that includes Shana, Index, Yumekui Merry, Hayate, Ookami-san to Shichinin, Kami-sama no Memo-cho etc) -- this is why so many are skeptical about the result of its adaptation of Little Busters and Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. What I see is that it does not produce mindblowing works in terms of technical achievement or style and its effort can sometimes look lazy or careless but in general it produces decent works more often than not.

Defiance said:
I've always been the kind of person that finds people who keep watching shows they hate to be idiots, it's just simply counter productive because the point of watching tv shows to begin with is to enjoy them.

This is one of my biggest problems with the western anime fandom. Too many people watch a show, even complete a show, not because they enjoy it but just so that they can boast that they have watched the show in order to trash it in public. The thing is: if you decide you are going to hate it after a few episodes and you do not have an open mind which means you continue to watch the show in a bad mood, you are going to find more faults with the show and hate it even more. At the end fair and balanced opinion is even less likely to come out if you are forcing yourself to watch a show you don't like. This is something that is rarely heard in Japan or around Asia - there watching anime is to enjoy the stuff not as an exercise in "trophy collection" and to earn boasting right to criticize (and I kind of wonder if MAL's system of allowing fans to keep a tally of shows they completed and to rate shows help this kind of trend among western anime fans).
symbvOct 26, 2012 1:12 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 26, 2012 1:31 AM

Sep 2011
AirStyles said:
Defiance said:
AirStyles said:
Defiance said:

Link Here

You're right, I am quite disappointed... I'm rather bored, and was trying to bait you into a Clannad vs SAO argument...

Oh wellz. I'll go play tetris instead.

I was waiting for him to go into the bait..I really wonder how he can put SAO there instead of, since we're going with Key work, such as Clannad and Angel Beats!; However, I won't dwell on it and let it be, even though I'm a Key Fag.
Oct 26, 2012 1:35 AM

Jul 2008
Tyrel said:
even though I'm a Key Fag.
Once you start to realize that even your favorite shows are full of flaws, you will be able to enjoy anime much more honestly. At least that's my perspective.
Oct 26, 2012 1:38 AM

Sep 2011
Defiance said:
Tyrel said:
Once you start to realize that even your favorite shows are full of flaws, you will be able to enjoy anime much more honestly. At least that's my perspective.

I haven't watched Clannad so I can't vouch for that yet, but most of Key's work had Flaws that I've seen, but I enjoyed the series a lot even with it. The same can go here for SAO, etc.
Oct 26, 2012 1:39 AM
Sep 2012
This thread deserves death.
Create a thread to actually criticize about an individual opinion? Is DraconisMarch a god or what? He's nothing but an individual who watch anime and making bullshit videos about his reaction.

FK this thread.
Oct 26, 2012 1:41 AM

Sep 2011
azbc1209 said:
Create a thread to actually criticize about an individual opinion? Is DraconisMarch a god or what? He's nothing but an individual who watch anime and making bullshit videos about his reaction.

FK this thread.

Welcome to MAL.
Oct 26, 2012 1:43 AM

Jun 2009
Defiance said:
Tyrel said:

No not really...

especially with Clannad After Story. I simply cannot find faults in it. You're welcome to tell me otherwise though.

*eagerly waiting to reel my fishing string in*

EDIT: Come on, tell me about the Deus Ex Machina... Come on...
AirStylesOct 26, 2012 1:49 AM
Oct 26, 2012 1:43 AM

Jul 2008
azbc1209 said:

FK this thread.
Well, you'll probably get your wish. MAL forum moderation, from my experience, does not like threads directed towards a specific individual(user). They might just change the title though.
Oct 26, 2012 1:50 AM

Sep 2011
AirStyles said:
Defiance said:
Tyrel said:

No not really...

especially with Clannad After Story. I simply cannot find faults in it. You're welcome to tell me otherwise though.

AirStyles said:
Defiance said:
Tyrel said:

No not really...

EDIT: Come on, tell me about the Deus Ex Machina... Come on...

*SNAG*
Oct 26, 2012 1:50 AM

Feb 2012
Tyrel said:
azbc1209 said:

FK this thread.

Welcome to MAL.

Enjoy your stay.
Oct 26, 2012 1:56 AM
Oct 2012
Incredibly annoying and forced on top of the fact that his attention span is either near zero or he deliberately ignores the show's explanations.
Oct 26, 2012 1:59 AM

Jul 2008
whatever123456 said:
Incredibly annoying and forced on top of the fact that his attention span is either near zero or he deliberately ignores the show's explanations.
......did you make a separate account specifically to talk about SAO?
Oct 26, 2012 2:02 AM
Oct 2012
Defiance said:
did you make an separate account specifically to talk argue about SAO?

Yes.
Oct 26, 2012 2:03 AM

Sep 2011
whatever123456 said:
Defiance said:

Yes.

Lol'd.
Oct 26, 2012 2:03 AM

Jul 2008
whatever123456 said:
Defiance said:

Yes.
Get out.
Oct 26, 2012 2:14 AM
Oct 2012
Defiance said:
whatever123456 said:
Defiance said:

Yes.
Get out.

Why?
Oct 26, 2012 2:31 AM

Aug 2009
1.Take his posts.
2.Replace "SAO","this anime" etc ,with "my videos".
3.???????
4.Profit

And:
whatever123456 said:

The only thing he and others can complain about is Asuna's gay power of love.Everything else was explained in the show.Or at least by readers of the LN.Which doesnt excuse the anime but at least shows that the writing is full of "Deus Ex Machina"

Now if the reactions of the chars is so stupid to him what can I say?
I watched one of his videos once and like the only words that existed were "WTF" and "virgins".Taking him seriously or thinking that he is funny is ridiculous.
Oct 26, 2012 2:43 AM

Aug 2011
Posting in epic thread.

Obviously epic because it has my name in the title.

I'ma just leave this here.
Oct 26, 2012 2:47 AM

Nov 2011
DraconisMarch said:
Posting in epic thread.

You sir, just got yourself another subscriber.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Oct 26, 2012 2:47 AM

Aug 2012
DraconisMarch said:
Posting in epic thread.

Oh boy, here we go.
Oct 26, 2012 3:03 AM

Sep 2012
I like his videos, they are funny and he raises some valid point from time to time.
Oct 26, 2012 3:03 AM

Aug 2009
Elitist.Objective...........*.stops video*.

OK Anime Guru.

At least if the Elitists were agreeing with each other(not about SAO) I wouldnt think that you try really hard for attention.
Oct 26, 2012 3:29 AM
Aug 2012
ssjokg said:

OK Anime Guru.

At least if the Elitists were agreeing with each other(not about SAO) I wouldnt think that you try really hard for attention.

You should still watch the video, it actually has some coherence to it, I don't think people take a hobby for attention, but that's my opinion.

limpbuttmanOct 26, 2012 3:35 AM
Oct 26, 2012 3:43 AM

Aug 2009
Dessiato said:
ssjokg said:

OK Anime Guru.

You should still watch the video, it actually has some coherence to it, I don't think people take a hobby for attention, but that's my opinion.

Yeah right.That's totally true.Especially in SAO forums.
Oct 26, 2012 3:44 AM
Sep 2012
Dessiato said:
ssjokg said:

OK Anime Guru.

I think you should stop being his fanboi
Oct 26, 2012 12:48 PM

Jun 2008
I watch his SAO videos because the show is just so bad that even someone as arrogant as him can't really go wrong there. But yeah, the arrogance turns me off from the rest. He too often thinks his opinion to basically be fact and believes that anything he says is objective when it usually isn't. Plus he seems to only watch anime to criticize instead of to enjoy. Criticism is all good and I enjoy criticizing as much as the next fan, but I never put it before simply enjoying something when possible and I just can't stand those who do.
Oct 26, 2012 12:55 PM

Sep 2011
Defiance said:
Tyrel said:
i agree with this
also draconis, you might need to work on your sarcastic voice a bit more for those vids, it feels kind of forced but you do raise alot of good points over an awful show, but i can never enjoy vids like this, they are just so fucking common and nothing seems different from the other thousands of these types of vids, i mean it has about the same memorability as a post here in the forum.
JizzyHitlerOct 26, 2012 1:01 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 26, 2012 12:56 PM

Sep 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
I watch his SAO videos because the show is just so bad that even someone as arrogant as him can't really go wrong there. But yeah, the arrogance turns me off from the rest. He too often thinks his opinion to basically be fact and believes that anything he says is objective when it usually isn't. Plus he seems to only watch anime to criticize instead of to enjoy. Criticism is all good and I enjoy criticizing as much as the next fan, but I never put it before simply enjoying something when possible and I just can't stand those who do.

Finally someone with a brain. However, I still won't watch those videos because after watching the first one I was tempted to punch my screen with all the arrogant attitude he was pulling out, especially when he turns his voice up, but I'll stop their as saying more would be harassment.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Yesterday, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.