Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2008 9:41 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sure sucked to be in the Federation in the first stages of the OYW.
Nov 2, 2008 5:16 PM

May 2008
I've yet to watch a subbed version...

In terms of story timeline, this seems to be one of the earliest one to take place before anything else. No Amuro Ray, no Gundam, no GMs; just normal military hardware against the revolutionary humanoid war machines.

It's interesting that Sunrise has decided to take a very different perspective of the One Year War, 'though I did hear some people wanting to have a series on a more distant future instead (i.e. post-0083). As I am quite keen on military stuff, this will be a highly anticipated series for me to watch, abeit a short one.

I wonder how the next series will be like with the tanks on the roll. Seems very interesting too.
Nov 8, 2008 3:01 AM

May 2008
The CG for this was surprisingly well done and worked great considering most of it was shot from ground level to continually give perspective as to how much it would suck to be the Feddies at that point. Not to mention these kind of series about the unsung heroes who simply become casualties of war are always welcome, especially in the Gundam franchise where the massive loss of life in war is too often forgotten, at least on a human level as opposed to statistics. I look forward to more and will hopefully be able to watch the other two IGLOO OVAs prior to the next episode of this.
Nov 8, 2008 6:46 PM
May 2008
I loved the previous Igloo series, and it looks like this one is gonna be really good as well.

The first Igloo series paralleled WWII history with Nazi Germany and their attempts at making "wonder" weapons that would swing the war back into their favor. It was too little too late, and all it did was drain resources better put into their regular inventory of weapons.

This grunt level perspective is rather refreshing, one you generally dont see with Gundam. The next episode looks like to be tank oriented, which makes me happy since thats what I did while I was in the army. The Hildolfr (part tank/ms) episode of the first Igloo series was well done if you havent seen it.
A_Lee_NNov 8, 2008 6:53 PM
Nov 9, 2008 3:54 AM

Sep 2007
First thing, I agree that the CG was really well done, as well as the new perspective of the war. I have a question though. Why was the third Zaku just hiding there? To get intel on the Feddies' anti-ms?
Nov 9, 2008 5:12 AM

Feb 2007
Man, there was an air of sadness when Ben Barry died at the end, all he had was a hand gun, yet no one will ever remember him.

Nov 9, 2008 7:39 AM

May 2008
J-970 said:
Why was the third Zaku just hiding there? To get intel on the Feddies' anti-ms?

Yea that's something that some people have argued about on other forums. To be honest, no one knows, as it could have rescued the 2 other Zakus if it would have popped up earlier, but I guess it's not that essential to the plot.
Nov 9, 2008 10:03 AM

Oct 2007
Absolutely_Steve said:
The CG for this was surprisingly well done and worked great considering most of it was shot from ground level to continually give perspective as to how much it would suck to be the Feddies at that point. Not to mention these kind of series about the unsung heroes who simply become casualties of war are always welcome, especially in the Gundam franchise where the massive loss of life in war is too often forgotten, at least on a human level as opposed to statistics. I look forward to more and will hopefully be able to watch the other two IGLOO OVAs prior to the next episode of this.
Couldn't agree more.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Nov 9, 2008 8:38 PM

Sep 2008
The CG was amazing and the texturing was great. But the animations where alittle awkward at times. But it didn't stop it from being awesome. I just hope the whole series isn't just on Msless feddies versus Zakus, I really wanna see some GM on Zaku action. But I still wanna keep the grunt perpective it's great.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Dec 13, 2008 6:23 AM
Mar 2008
Siva said:
Absolutely_Steve said:
Couldn't agree more.

That's why at some point .. I hate statistics ...
Jan 8, 2009 4:31 PM
Apr 2008
Its just Math kicking us in the bojangles one more time.
Jan 18, 2009 9:33 PM

Jun 2007
The random Final Fantasy looking women made me forget this was Gundam for a second. Who was that supposed to be anyway? Just a random figment of his imagination or was it supposed to be an actual character? Looked like a white emo version of Lalah Sune lol.

The graphics where amazing. I love the detail on everything that was shown.
Jan 19, 2009 6:27 AM

May 2008
DeathfireD said:
Who was that supposed to be anyway? Just a random figment of his imagination or was it supposed to be an actual character?

The woman is supposed to represent Death.
Jan 19, 2009 4:16 PM

Jun 2007
quentinlau said:
DeathfireD said:
Who was that supposed to be anyway? Just a random figment of his imagination or was it supposed to be an actual character?

Gay, leave that FF crap for another show.
Jan 20, 2009 6:02 PM

Oct 2007
DeathfireD said:
quentinlau said:
DeathfireD said:

Gay, leave that FF crap for another show.

I thought it was a cleaver use of using woman to represent death...that and she was hawt <3~ XD
Feb 10, 2009 7:13 PM

Dec 2007
Positives: Great sound, music, animation, and action.

Negatives: Bad dialogue. The voice actors do not fit their characters at all.
Jul 27, 2009 8:23 AM

Jul 2009
They sure get owned by those Zakus without a gundam or GMs ;o
Aug 25, 2012 1:03 PM

Apr 2008
Death Gods! We change to the Federation's POV.

Alright! Going straight 08th MS Team! The Barberry Squadron even got attacked by those same "spread spear" like anti-personal missiles from one of the 08th eps.

Very pretty to look at, especially the Zaku. What was Babel's problem?

I had a feeling of concern, since the missiles had to be accurate against the big mechs.
Oct 6, 2012 3:52 AM

Jan 2012
Kraker2k said:
Man, there was an air of sadness when Ben Barry died at the end, all he had was a hand gun, yet no one will ever remember him.

It really is sad that he will not really be remembered for his heroic stand against the final zaku.

Man, why the hell did I put this ova off. That first episode was amazing. I love the grunt perspective as mentioned earlier. I knew that the feds didn't have mobile suits at first and wondered how the hell they dealt with mobile suits early in the war. Didn't realize it was as bad as it was. Every anti-ms team gets wiped out and I can see why. It is crazy to see how dangerous mobile suits are.

Can't wait to watch the rest of this!
May 8, 2013 7:14 PM

Jun 2012
I loved this first episode. Too bad the main guy died, I really liked him.

I thing this third Zaku represents the Death God, since it was wearing some kind of cape and appeared randomly at the end with the battle. My opinion is that the Death God killed him after collecting the ID cords of both of the Zeon soldiers. It don't know why she did this, maybe it's going to be explained in the next episodes, maybe not.

It's nice to see the early One-Year War, when the Federation had no GMs. As said before, it sucked to be a feddie in this period.

The comparation made by the Death God was amazing too. She said that Barberry was like Gravity for the Zeon. It we stop and think about it, Gravity is harmful to the Zeon, once they're addapted to living in space(they're even called spacenoid during other Gundam series). On the other side, the feddies feel comfortable with Gravity, since they are addapted to it. One thing that is too good for one, can be bad for other, it's nice to see this.
Jul 16, 2013 5:05 AM

Mar 2012
That was some pretty good CG o.O The Federation had it bad in the early days of the OYW, Zakus were pretty dam OP :(
Jan 4, 2014 2:35 AM
Jun 2010
Well shit.

Here I was ready to say that Barberry was a lot more of an interesting and entertaining protagonist than pretty boy Oliver, who spent most of his series just standing around while all the interesting shit happened to other people.

Then I remembered that this is Gundam, where your favorite character always dies.
Apr 5, 2014 2:23 AM

Apr 2013
I'm glad that Barberry fucker has died. Such stupidity should not exist. Also those retards on that tower...

Ugh. Both sides were fucking annoying. This episode was the worst piece of Gundam I've seen so far. Hope it picks up in the next 2 eps.
Open to chat about any storytelling related subject as long as it's clever and respectful.
Myanimelist
May 6, 2014 2:59 PM

Sep 2011
holy hell was this an improvement over the original igloo

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 5, 2014 8:14 PM

Jul 2007
Wow, the CG was great in this one. Much more improved then the other ova's. Man the federation soldiers never stood a change against the zeon. But of course the lack of mobile suits. They never stood a chance.

May 4, 2015 9:07 PM

Nov 2014
Epic first episode, Barberry might be the bravest character in the whole franchise.

As for the woman, I think she's the Newtype spirit of that Zeon pilot that died in the beginning given that she only appeared after the pilot died, what she wants? no idea yet.
Jan 21, 2016 9:19 AM

Dec 2015
What an improvement ! I just watched the first IGLOO and here we have decent faces and globally better CGIs. The eyes still stand out too much and some expressions seem strange but those are just little things.

The depiction of the Zakus monstrosity from a soldier's perspective was great, even stronger than I had imagined. The "man heigth" camera p.o.v helped to assure the impact of the scenes.
I liked how the survivor guy is drove to madness after several squad losses.

5/5 despite the illogicaly placed third Zaku.
Jul 25, 2016 7:59 PM

May 2012
I really hoped that they would've improved the CGI after the many years of the prequel, alas this is not the case :/

The current start is pretty generic, let's see what happens next though.
Nov 19, 2016 7:21 PM
Nov 2014
Dunky said:
Positives: Great sound, music, animation, and action.

Negatives: Bad dialogue. The voice actors do not fit their characters at all.

well, Asians acting as White... Their faces are White and Black while their voices are Asians
Dec 20, 2016 3:58 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
This first episode is about Banberry, a Federation soldier in the unit anti-tank, now reconstruted in anti-mobiles, anti-zakus!!!!

Beautiful fight, with intensity and action, with a dramatic ends....This time, this ova, watch the side of the Federation and how defeat the Earth against Zeon invasion!!!

7/10.
Aug 2, 2017 5:21 AM
Jul 2017
JizzyHitler said:
holy hell was this an improvement over the original igloo

Agreed. Animation was definitely better. Can't imagine being a Feddie and getting rolled by those Zakus all the time. At least gravity is on the Feds side at this point. Spirit gal was strange, but Gundam is full of space magic so I won't hit that point too hard.
Aug 10, 2023 6:52 AM

Jul 2017
i liked a lot this episode
''Touch the darkness inside me''

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: Gravity of the Battlefront Episode 3 Discussion

quentinlau - Apr 28, 2009

38 by Radnitzky1890 »»
Dec 29, 2021 2:53 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 2: Gravity of the Battlefront Episode 2 Discussion

quentinlau - Jan 29, 2009

20 by laughterjones »»
Aug 3, 2017 6:06 AM

» Storyline order?

ragnaroks - Aug 22, 2009

5 by tofei »»
May 4, 2010 1:25 AM

» Who is subbing this?

Jigero - Oct 28, 2008

2 by zaj »»
Oct 31, 2008 2:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.