Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 20, 2012 2:11 PM

May 2009
After seeing it today at the supposed world premiere I have to say I was a bit disappointed by it. It started off with promise but eventually just became a confusing mess. I wasn't sure what had happened for the last half of the film and I hated the ending. A lot of things weren't made clear. But what did everyone else think?
Oct 20, 2012 2:50 PM
Nov 2011
this is a show, of course
TakanakaiyoOct 12, 2018 6:58 AM

Please wait whilst I wave my tentacles
Oct 20, 2012 3:25 PM
Jun 2011
I enjoyed it. There were a few important points that I didn't quite understand so I'll have to re-watch it at some point.
Oct 20, 2012 4:15 PM
Sep 2007
I loved it. Every bit of it, but the characters and the visuals are what made me love it the most. And personally I think that being thrown into a plot, leaving some things up to imagination is a much better approach than handing everything to the viewer on a silver platter, so I was very pleased with how mind-boggling the second half was at times.

A great and beautiful movie, unless you let your expectations ruin your experience.
Oct 20, 2012 5:06 PM
Oct 2012
Visually creative, plot rather confusing. Disappointed that the real ending was in the credits so many people missed it. I got a glimpse due to waiting to see the next film and seemed a 'better' ending. More satisfactory.
Oct 20, 2012 5:09 PM
Mar 2009
Ok we'll I walked out so can someone summarise the post credit ending for me?
Oct 20, 2012 5:12 PM
Mar 2009
Dxai said:
I was pretty tired so I drifted off during the first third and I thought I had missed some important plot points that explain what happens, turns out they weren't explained in the first place.

If I watch it again I'll probably grab a better understanding of what happens but I found it pretty incomprehensible, although it wasn't entirely bad.

Edit: I'm also annoyed at both the reviews up for it. Extremely harsh and it looks quick-written just to brag about being at a premiere.

It was written as a warning, who would want to brag about seeing that horror show. They are not harsh they are realistic.
Oct 20, 2012 5:16 PM
Oct 2012

Mod Edit: Please use spoiler tags.
KinetaJun 23, 2013 5:44 AM
Oct 20, 2012 5:21 PM

May 2009
I feel some parts such as working out who Kyougoko's parents are is maybe ok to leave ambiguous, but some stuff such as the mobile phones was left to sit and there shouldn't be any ambiguity about it. Also I wish I didn't rush out of there I should have known there would be extra scenes, doesnt clear up some of the mess of the plot though even if it is a better ending.
Zeroro1995Oct 20, 2012 5:25 PM
Oct 21, 2012 12:59 AM

Nov 2011
Oh boy, wow that was bad! First off, shit ain't explained, the "Characters" are dull, uninteresting idiots whom I have no reason to connect to, the writing was poor, the pacing was horrific, the pretencious use of Shakesprere quotes was laughable, and featured one of the most abrupt and badly done endings to a movie I've seen in a while! Another distasteful disaster from Sunrise. You know its a bad adaption when I've not even read the source material, if you want a great anime that is not only a great adaption, they stand on their own as amazing anime productions, then check out Hosoda's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time & Osamu Dezaki's Treasure Island.
Klonoa7HOct 21, 2012 1:02 AM
Oct 21, 2012 3:53 AM
Oct 2012
Klonoa79H - have you seen my post that there was another scene after the credits which was less of an abrupt ending?
Oct 21, 2012 4:28 AM

Nov 2011
@7thcircle I stayed for that scene, didn't do jack shit, just more stupid pointless "hilarious" antics.
Oct 21, 2012 5:18 AM

Dec 2010
Reassured to see the general consensus is that this wasn't a particularly great production...
If anyone thinks that the plot was somehow justified because it left 'certain things up to the imagination' and that the characters acted in believable and 'natural' ways, then quite frankly you're deluding yourselves, or have very, very strange friends...
Oct 25, 2012 7:05 AM

Dec 2007
Everyone i was with could only call it terrible, and i can easily see why. It was badly organised, everything felt all over the place. The psychic stuff was very much kept in the dark, heck, it only gets shown here or there until late into the movie. Characters are there, but they don't feel like ones you can really relate to, and the dream sections made no sense in some ways. While some where ok, other bits felt like they where hinting at something that never actually is explained.

I honestly think that, if the crystal was explained a bit more and one or two bits here or there where switched about, it wouldn't be as major a flop as it turned out to be. I didn't call it terrible, but it's definitely no better than mediocre.

The suggestion i got given to me was, you're better off looking into all the other adaptations, or even the novel itself instead of ever watching this, take that as you will.
Nov 26, 2012 5:45 PM

Nov 2010
Watanabe deserved better than this.

Also, movie should've been handed to a real professional.
I play, the haters lose.
Jun 25, 2013 12:32 AM
Jun 2008
Arbalest said:
The suggestion i got given to me was, you're better off looking into all the other adaptations, or even the novel itself instead of ever watching this, take that as you will.

This... this has been what I've been getting as well from the forum threads.
Jul 21, 2013 3:32 AM

Sep 2009
I'd say above all it was alright. I was with the plot up around just past the second half of the movie, then things just got really translucent too quickly.

I mean truthfully, I thought the first half was splendid. A nice balance of mystery, drama, and dialogue. Once they got to unfolding that's where the movie lost most people, because not much was explained nor was delved upon which puts the first half to shame since it was slowly building up so well.

Being critical, way to critical I might add, I can see why people give this 7's, 6's, and lower.

There IS plenty of rewatch value because the story ends up being so loose and the visuals are phenomenal. It's honestly one of the most beautiful pieces of art I've seen in years. I can see people watching this just to further examine the spectacularly colorful luminescent scenery.

Frankly it's a solid 8/10. It might have been terrible mingled towards the end but it's not so horribly done that it's unwatchable nor does it leave you hating the movie in general. The way I see it there are many strong points and a handful of misguided decisions.
Aug 2, 2013 12:36 AM

May 2013
one word, 'boring'....
Aug 9, 2013 1:15 AM

Apr 2011
alyya said:
one word, 'boring'....
Aug 18, 2013 2:22 PM

Feb 2011
This movie is now actually one of my favorites. I enjoyed it that much.
Dec 19, 2013 12:36 AM

Mar 2013
one word, "disgusting" :P
Dec 21, 2013 3:50 AM

Dec 2011
I just finished it. I'm actually sick right now and the film intensified my headache. Indeed it was full of promise but it got so confusing and messy. I was o____o???? the whole time and I only watched the whole thing because I was hoping it'd make sense it the end but it didn't.
♥(ノ´∀`)
Jan 26, 2014 12:21 PM

Oct 2012
soulassassin547 said:
Watanabe deserved better than this.

this.
Only hearing mayuyu's voice prevented me from hating natsuki. Her insulting and beating was too much for me to bear. And she was suppose to love kenji? Oh, okay.
fadesJan 26, 2014 12:24 PM

Feb 21, 2014 5:25 PM

Nov 2011
trainwreck. the art is pretty decent though, and the opening theme is pretty good (as expected from Supercell)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 17, 2014 4:54 AM

Jun 2012
I came to this topic because...i don't know, maybe I have no telepathy so I couldn't understand what's going on in the movie but (un)fortunately I'm not alone, yay.
Maybe someone who gave more than 7 can explain why? Ok, the main plot was clear but everything else - just mindfuck. The art was wonderful but srsly, sometimes I thought that THEY don't know what to do so...randomly they gave lots of special effects you know million petals, soap-bubbles and refraction of lights.

Natsuki, being tsundere it's too difficult for you.

octobrr said:
I only watched the whole thing because I was hoping it'd make sense it the end but it didn't.

indeed.
Apr 8, 2015 2:55 AM

Jul 2014
have to admit i really love the art and animation. start off seems promising but the more it goes the deep it's fall. keep watching to the end cuz i hope something would come up and everything would make sense but IT IS NOT. AND THAT SCENE AFTER CREDIT JUST MADE EVERY MORE FUCK UP................ >.<

[quote=Tosa]Maybe someone who gave more than 7 can explain[/spoiler]
Jun 22, 2015 9:10 PM

May 2014
Man F***k this!! The ending couples are so wrong. Honestly I really hate the pretty-boy types in anime that always act so cool. And most of the time they have some dark personality or secret too. And also whats up with giving Ken the leftovers?!? The long haired girl was really pretty and awesome, smart, part of the student council,etc... The childhood friend freaking looked like a 10 year old boy with that short hair and chicken body and was really obnoxious and annoying. Come on, they spent so much money on animation and couldn't make a second attractive female?!?!?! Well I guess I can't blame them too much, since Ken was portrayed as a clumsy loser.
Alpha101Jun 22, 2015 9:14 PM
Sep 17, 2015 5:38 PM

Sep 2011
Didn't finish the movie, but will in the future. But from what I saw, I can definitely confirm that almost nothing the description promised us happened. And I was already disappointed with the content I saw yet...

If everything went the way it is described in the description, this could have been a lot better, imo.
Oct 20, 2015 2:13 PM

Dec 2009
There was a million problems with this, as there are in every time-travel related plot, and many things like, why does mind reading give them psychokinesis? etc etc. The plot complexity wasn't too hard to follow, but there were many things left open at the end, intentionally. Familiar plots intertwined with such finesse that more stories should

But this show was such an amazingly portrayed and beautiful art piece, that i can't justify myself in deconstructing it. I absolutely loved this movie front to back, everything felt so alive and natural; it flowed together beautifully, and the art definitely doesn't hurt it.

This was one of those movies you're just supposed to sit back and accept what happens instead of trying to work it all out. It is crafted as an experience, not as something to be discussed and analyzed.

It took me long enough to discover this movie, but it is definitely going down as one of my favourites.
GenesisAriaOct 20, 2015 2:27 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Sep 16, 2017 10:31 AM

Nov 2007
One of the best visuals ive ever seen!!! Really! The rest? I'll leave it with 7/10 :)
Nov 20, 2017 6:01 PM

Aug 2014
the visuals were pretty... but overdramatic and unneeded sometimes
everything else not worth mentioning

Feb 6, 2018 12:47 AM
May 2013
This was one of the best Anime movies I have yet to see, I’ve been watching anime for about 5 years now with over 100+ Series/Movies being watched and I have to say his movie was really incredible, The story, The Art & Visuals, & The characters everything about this movie was great, did a great job💙 10/10 Without a Doubt!!!
Feb 7, 2018 9:36 AM
Jun 2017
I liked it, but it's more of a healing anime than a esper/time travel story. Heavy on nostalgia, friendship, and young love. I really liked how the new espers took over the school, and I wish they had expanded on why they hated mobiles; I think it was because the espers were afraid of not being able to see into normal people's hearts, and mobiles gave them the advantage of telepathy too.

I think it is very much a flawed production, despite liking it, and you need to be in a certain mood for it. If you want to see the same themes done much, much better, Shingu: Record of the Stellar Wars is absolutely amazing, and is closer to what people probably were expecting this film to be.
Mar 23, 2018 12:30 AM
Jan 2018
No clue what the hell I just watched. I think this was the first anime that confused the hell out of me, but somehow I still enjoyed it. Alot of time travel stuff and power stuff and spirit anime stuff that just doesn't get explained or make any sense. No clue who the father and mother was and how the hell pretty boy can to exist. I'm guessing the old man taking care of MC was actually the MC, maybe? Who was the little girl then? Just at the end of the day it had alot of confusing stuff that doesn't get explained. Even so, i enjoyed it somehow.....
May 23, 2018 12:58 PM
Dec 2017
I wanted to see more Jinno Yuu, he was cool. What exactly happened to him anyway?
Jun 20, 2021 12:46 PM
Aug 2018
Well, i dont know how it was in the original Japanese, but the english title sure sets the wrong tone for the movie. The visuals and music was nice, but the plot? Ech, the first half was just another boring trope romance story while the second half was unexplained deus ex machina everywhere. The whole future moon plotline could be dropped without any loss to the movie, which would have allowed more time to develop something. Then again, they could have done the same without 45 minutes of filler at the start.
Does the Reaper Dream of Darkness Darker than Black?
Jul 19, 2021 11:05 PM
Jul 2021
I need to rewatch i guess!
May 22, 2022 10:10 AM
Oct 2021
Just finished this movie and I feel like this is anime Tenet. First 30 minutes I tried to understand why it has so mediocre rating for as beautiful and interesting movie as it was. Then the rest happened.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nerawareta Gakuen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Shih - Jun 4, 2013

208 by waalex11 »»
Sep 13, 2023 3:38 PM

» SPOILER Nerawageta Gakuen: Possible explanation of the movie (+ending)

acab1312 - Nov 15, 2015

5 by Kabuz »»
Apr 26, 2021 5:25 PM

» Nerawareta Gakuen Soon To Get Dubbed

TheDiabolicEsper - May 14, 2016

4 by TheDiabolicEsper »»
Jun 4, 2017 7:43 PM

» Name of the Song, please help!!!

MrJules - Jun 25, 2013

9 by renzbiohazard »»
Sep 21, 2014 3:55 PM

» Preview Video

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2012

13 by Hase0 »»
Jun 15, 2013 1:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.