Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 20, 2012 5:09 PM

Aug 2008
deave112 said:
Not sure why but I really hate Shun.

I hate the way he treats Saroru, like when he shut him up at the beginning of this episode. Kind of made me wonder why would Satoru let him his... cherry(?).

After all it would be Shun who would make the first move on Satoru and not the other way around.

I like him and Saki together. Shun can go to hell for all I care.
What the fuck are you talking about.

Take the spoiler shit somewhere else.
Oct 20, 2012 5:09 PM

May 2010
Damn this is getting even darker then b4, a blood stain past and it seem like history is gonna repeat is self.

This plot is turn out to be really good so far, glad it didnt take alot of episode to get there, i kinda got lost in the history lession back it all good.
Oct 20, 2012 5:11 PM

Mar 2011
This is getting gooooood~
Oct 20, 2012 5:25 PM
Sep 2011
destructo22 said:
deave112 said:
Not sure why but I really hate Shun.

I hate the way he treats Saroru, like when he shut him up at the beginning of this episode. Kind of made me wonder why would Satoru let him his... cherry(?).

After all it would be Shun who would make the first move on Satoru and not the other way around.

I like him and Saki together. Shun can go to hell for all I care.
What the fuck are you talking about.

Take the spoiler shit somewhere else.

It's not that big of a spoiler.
Oct 20, 2012 5:42 PM

Aug 2008
That's everyone's response. Just don't talk about it.

What's even worse is that you quoted the mod that warned about spoilers.
Oct 20, 2012 5:57 PM

Sep 2012
Vortiene said:
Quite honestly one of the best episodes i have seen thus far this year...

Shit just got real. I really hope this plot starts reaching it's potential, because it's building up really nicely now.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Oct 20, 2012 6:09 PM

Jun 2011
AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY
Oct 20, 2012 6:13 PM

Aug 2009
Awesome ep, awesome series :D
Unique setting, very interesting plot, nice atmosphere, if it got these points, I really don't care if the animation is not that great.
I think this is the "Jinrui wa Suitai mashita" of this season ;-)

Hope it maintains it's suspensing atmosphere and quality and doesn't drift into something ridiculous!
Oct 20, 2012 6:19 PM

Mar 2012
Damn, that was a fantastic, riveting episode, as it was suffused with a plethora of significant developments that partially illuminated the complexities surrounding the darkly mysterious nature of the world. Despite expository dialogue permeating the episode, the excellent pacing never faltered, which is a testament to how brilliantly the writing and direction complement the fluidity of the story.

This episode revealed an extensive amount of insight into the blood-stained evolution of their world, most notably through the weaving of the historical preludes that have opened each episode into a layered, interconnected tapestry. The manner in which Boy A's actions were illustrated evoked a highly unsettling atmosphere, since we're provided momentary glimpses of the carnage borne from his harrowing brutality, as nineteen were raped and seventeen were murdered. Essentially, these actions propelled the societal descent into chaos and an eventual decay. It was rather interesting, though not entirely unexpected, to notice how astonished they were upon learning that humans are actually capable of murder. One of the most intriguing scenes was when the suppressed memory of Saki severely desiring to kill the old Priest was unveiled, in which she had temporarily suffered through the "death feedback".

The most compelling moment, I feel, involved the minoshiro bursting into flames, consequently illuminating the image of a woman holding a baby. Given the visually momentous nature of the framing within that scene, it could potentially foreshadow an adult Saki holding her child. Another interesting shot was Saki's anguished expression that accompanied the seemingly painful moment in which her Cantus was pierced by the monk, thus creating a distinct parallel to the moment the same occurred in the first episode. The minoshiro also revealed that Fiends suffer from "Fox in the Henhouse" syndrome, while Karma Demons suffer from Hashimoto Appelbaum syndrome. Once again, the terminology remains somewhat indistinct, yet there's a certain level of understanding toward what these allude to. However, it remains unclear whether these afflictions reside in any of the main characters, though it seems quite possible, given the ominous declaration at the end of episode two, which might infer that Maria could very well be a Fiend or Karma Demon herself.

I especially liked the moment when, as they're unraveling the morbid history of their world, Saki's eyes close immediately following an image of a murderer's eyes opening, effectively depicting the contrasting sensibilities between one that relishes his awakened savagery and one that is repulsed by it. I loved the illusory touch of distorting the minoshiro's voice as, while discovering the truth surrounding the plethora of disturbingly cruel Emperors, Saki becomes increasingly unwilling to listen, tormented by this unforeseen depravity. My favorite sequence though, by far, was when the monk slaughtered the group of evolved, hostile queerats, which was particularly beautiful due to their hidden form revealing itself as something that appeared to be a human crying out, which potentially implies that the queerats are descended from those who previously existed as part of the hunter tribes. This could also intimate that the Elders are somehow using suggestive telepathy to conceal their true manifestations.

Their moments of reluctant curiosity were illuminated very effectively, such as their pained trepidation at what might await upon wholly discovering which segment of civilization their ancestors came from. As such, the identity of their ancestors was divulged as the scientists, which, at first, they were relieved to hear, but were then mortified once more as the dark truth that surrounded their actions was revealed, effectively indicating that human nature inevitably predetermines an animalistic proclivity. Following the fall of the various empires, the scientists sought to deconstruct and control humanity's psychic abilities.

It was quite interesting to learn that the scientists temporarily examined the bonobos as a means to induce a peaceful, compliant nature among the humans. Through this, they began using sex to allay the threat of violence being awoken, which, I can only assume, will likely play a considerable part as the story progresses. Despite this, whatever sex they'll eventually engage in seems likely to be wholly devoid of emotion, used solely as a means to an end. Following their failure to produce flawless results, the scientists conjured the idea to restrain violence by altering their genetic makeup, filtering in a "death feedback", a form of manipulation that prevents murder among those who possess Cantus by inducing partial organ failure. All of this tightly structured control eventually led to the "removal" of children who were potentially dangerous, which becomes even more unsettling, since it's known that humans are entirely incapable of killing other humans.

The character development was quite significant as well, since the events of this episode essentially signified an irrevocable loss of innocence. The future for them is rather unknown in regards to the psychological effects and implications from their newly acquired knowledge, but it's possible that some could construct a facade of relatively deadened emotions. Saki is a terrific character, due to her wonderfully complex characterization. There's a subtle dichotomy between her innocent exterior and the restricted emotions of a seemingly violent persuasion that lie dormant within, particularly displayed in several instances throughout the episode, such as the suppressed memory of her having desired to kill the aged priest. Saki also displays a heightened level of acute perception, as she's the only one who realizes Rijin as the true enemy.

The production values remain remarkably impressive. The direction, in particular, is excellent, especially in the nuanced framing of certain shots, which was especially noticeable in one of the final scenes, as the clouded apparition briefly, but strikingly appears in the midst of the dust that surrounds the queerats' dying bodies. The music was consistently superb throughout, thankfully lacking the jarring quality that was present in the past episode or so. I especially loved the suitably beautiful, amazingly atmospheric musical selection that accompanied the scene in which Rijin kills the queerats. The sound mix was really good as well; the complete isolation of Saki's voice as she tentatively asks, "what did he do", was exceptionally well done. The animation is able to brilliantly capture their specific emotions through detailed facial expressions and an impressive use of quick edits. This allows for a necessarily convincing portrayal of their emotional fragility. Above all, the writing is, up to this point, extremely strong. The manner in which the story has been carefully, meticulously told is extremely refreshing.

All in all, From the New Worlds continues to excel with it's thoroughly interesting narrative, writing, and direction. What's most intriguing is the vague, unpredictable nature surrounding which path the story will take from here. I'm very excited for the next episode, and, judging by the preview, I'm looking forward to seeing how exactly they'll manage to survive without the ability to wield their temporarily sealed Cantus, and I'm assuming they'll be stranded in the forest for quite some time.
Oct 20, 2012 6:35 PM

Mar 2009
Papde said:
And what are Fiends? What is the R-Klogius syndrome? Could anyone explain this for me?

The Minoshiro-Modoki did just that. Also, R-Klogius should probably be Rahman-Claudius.

itsvero said:
Wait. At 1:33-1:52 of that PV are Saki and Satoru doing what I think they're doing?! What the fudgesicles? Aren't they 12 years old?

Did you even watch epsiode 4?

Nov 2011
I have no more doubts in stating that Shinsekai in Yori is the best anime of the Fall
I can only describe this episode with a single word: Disturbing

One of the high points of the script was the development of distinct customs and system to filter out people and contain the violence.

And we still had an extra with the action at the end. Very interesting skills.

FrancAguiarOct 20, 2012 7:03 PM

Apr 2008
The monkey explanation really explained that big questionable pages from the manga version XD

AiCon said:
It sucks that they had to lose their powers. I kinda expected it too, though. You don't find out something that big without consequences. I hope that they haven't lost their powers permanently, though I don't think that they'll get their powers back any time soon.
The method he used similar to when Saki (and other kids) first awakened their power and got it sealed in the temple.

Not meaning to spoiler or anything, the method they use looks a lot like hypnotist or mind control (which in certain way, prayer and self-suggestion spells of our time works in the same line). If it's so, the potential is always there, they just have locks in their unconsciousness to make them unable to activate it. Just like the brainwashing method used to keep them from killing each others.

About Mamoru, hardly surprising. From the beginning he's shown as the most frail in their group, so seeing him unable to accept that reality is believable.
nseikaOct 20, 2012 6:42 PM
Oct 20, 2012 6:37 PM

Mar 2009
nseika said:
The monkey explanation really explained that big questionable pages from the manga version XD

Yes, but this isn't an adaptation of the manga. It's an adaptation of the novel.
Oct 20, 2012 6:44 PM

Apr 2008
Both the anime and manga should be an adaptation of the novel.
It's just that there's no explanation from the library there so it feels like random service instead of being part of the story.

From the look of it, the manga skipped right to the next anime episode isn't it ?
nseikaOct 20, 2012 6:48 PM
Oct 20, 2012 7:48 PM

Mar 2009
nseika said:
Both the anime and manga should be an adaptation of the novel.
It's just that there's no explanation from the library there so it feels like random service instead of being part of the story.

From the look of it, the manga skipped right to the next anime episode isn't it ?

The manga is an extremely liberal adaptation of the novel.
It sacrificed a lot of plot and atmosphere in the quest for fanservice and moe.
Oct 20, 2012 7:58 PM

Dec 2011
I was kind of creeped out by this episode.
In a good way. But it was creepy.
Oct 20, 2012 8:40 PM
Apr 2011
Amazing episode again. The world building is great again, and the reveal on the history was well shown.
mrmuk said:
Awesome ep, awesome series :D
Unique setting, very interesting plot, nice atmosphere, if it got these points, I really don't care if the animation is not that great.
I think this is the "Jinrui wa Suitai mashita" of this season ;-)

Hope it maintains it's suspensing atmosphere and quality and doesn't drift into something ridiculous!

Agreed. It's like a darker version of Jintai with a plot.
Oct 20, 2012 8:44 PM
Oct 2012
i like this anime more with every episode
this was awesome, i love the whole setting (even though it's scaring me from time to time)
those rats freak me out
Oct 20, 2012 9:07 PM

Mar 2009
Iniser said:
Agreed. It's like a darker version of Jintai with a plot.

It's nothing like Jintai. Jintai was a deadpan comedy. This is not comedic at all.

The only similarities are that they're both in post-apocalyptic worlds, narrated by females.
Oct 20, 2012 9:13 PM

Jul 2009
Hory shet
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Oct 20, 2012 11:18 PM

Oct 2010
symbv said:
Yumekichi11 said:
However I wonder with all the depiction of the monkeys and their caring for each other why of reactions Saki does the face-palm in the spoiler
I mean WTF is that for exactly? Makes no sense as to her reaction towards this.

I think it makes sense for her reaction, which seems to me she was struggling to absorb all the torrents of information and keep her mind clear and unconfused.
Ah I see, it was not anything to do with the info but more of amount having a rather heavy impact on Saki and thus brain hurts.
symbv said:
Yumekichi11 said:

About thee end, well I liked all that priest monk person in the spoiler
burning off that monster but WTF is that girl in the flames? Who is the kid and purpose of this image? Could it have to do with the answer it was giving out?
I think it was quite clearly explained by Shun in the episode. I am not sure how it is translated in English sub but that has to do with the "Kishi kiko" that prevents a human from killing another human. The image is a self-protective mechanism by the robot library against human sabotage.
I am surprised it was only that but I understand your point. The mechanism seems to have failed still.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Oct 20, 2012 11:30 PM

Oct 2008
After watching Episode 4, this got a lot interesting.

Oct 20, 2012 11:36 PM

Jan 2011
holy crap even though i knew nothing good would come from knowing the truth that info dump was insane as well as this episode
Oct 20, 2012 11:42 PM

Oct 2008
Information Overload + kids at that age could comprehend = almost all them going insane.

Oct 20, 2012 11:48 PM

Mar 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
I am surprised it was only that but I understand your point. The mechanism seems to have failed still.

It still had an effect, however. The priest was not well afterward, and
Oct 20, 2012 11:54 PM

Jul 2011
Brilliant episode not only fleshed out the history of the world but also pieced together those mysterious flashbacks that occurred throughout the previous episodes. This anime is getting better and better by each passing episode.
Oct 21, 2012 12:17 AM

Jul 2012
Idk why but I'm getting this to aru majutsu plot feel from this Idk why is guess when they started explaining psychincs and what not but this is finally getting really interesting.
Oct 21, 2012 12:19 AM
May 2011
This show is getting intense. Liking it more with each new episode.
I think I'm the only one here who cried a bit after seeing 980 Petabytes of all the bibliographical in the world get burned to a crisp by a monk. It's like the library of alexander but worse.
Oct 21, 2012 12:28 AM

Oct 2011
It is revealed.
Oct 21, 2012 12:30 AM

Dec 2011
Things are getting better now.
Our cast learns their civilization's history and how it came to today.
My god, Mamoru is so spineless I wanna punch him real bad.

I wonder how can they overcome this ordeal of this blowdog now that the monk is tired of using his Cantus?

Death feedback... Interesting, I guess that people with Cantus that kill people with it can see it... so I guess the creatures of today are humans of the past? Holy.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2012 12:54 AM

Nov 2009
Now the adventure begins in the next episode..
Oct 21, 2012 1:00 AM

Mar 2009
Fiji said:
My god, Mamoru is so spineless I wanna punch him real bad.

Because most 12 year old kids raised to believe their civilisation is peaceful and perfect would react well to finding out that everything they believe is a lie.

Fiji said:
I wonder how can they overcome this ordeal of this blowdog now that the monk is tired of using his Cantus?

Fiji said:
Death feedback... Interesting, I guess that people with Cantus that kill people with it can see it... so I guess the creatures of today are humans of the past? Holy.

Entirely possible.
Oct 21, 2012 1:16 AM

May 2007
A very intense episode,have to say the best episode so far out of any of the shows so far this season. And we finally got enlightened of the past civilizations and how the current ages came about. I am really enjoying this right now.
Oct 21, 2012 1:40 AM

Feb 2012
Wow... that was a dialogue-heavy episode :D
Great ep.
Tension is building up again. Now, I'm curious what the story is really about lol
Oct 21, 2012 2:05 AM

Nov 2010
i was about to drop this series if this ep didnt hold up. But it was rather interesting so ill keep watching.
Oct 21, 2012 2:42 AM

Jul 2011
Awesome awesome awesome awesome!!!

So i think its true that the queerats are previously human who failed to get their cantus/psychic power awaken right? Interesting...

The monk is quite cool and i don't really think he sealed the kid's cantus with a bad intentions, he just doing what the system told him to do, he seems like a pretty decent guy but well we'll see...

BEST ANIME THIS YEAR! Even better than tsuritama, awesome!! And i heard that there'll be yaoi/yuri element in it? great i hope it will be sensual and engaging while being artistic at the same time :)
Oct 21, 2012 3:50 AM

Mar 2009
millo said:
So i think its true that the queerats are previously human who failed to get their cantus/psychic power awaken right? Interesting...

Certainly quite possible. That, or

millo said:
The monk is quite cool and i don't really think he sealed the kid's cantus with a bad intentions, he just doing what the system told him to do, he seems like a pretty decent guy but well we'll see...

Yeah, they broke the law and the law commands that their powers be frozen for it.
Oct 21, 2012 4:05 AM

Dec 2011
Hm, isn't there a way of avoiding restrictions? Say, killing with closed eyes? Or imagining something non-human. while destroying?
MexonizatorOct 21, 2012 4:24 AM
Oct 21, 2012 5:07 AM

Mar 2009
Mexonizator said:
Hm, isn't there a way of avoiding restrictions? Say, killing with closed eyes? Or imagining something non-human. while destroying?

I suppose you could have someone try and fool you into thinking it wasn't a human that you were killing, but you'd have to actually fall for it.

After all, the Minoshiro-Modoki's projection of a human, which was obviously fake, was enough to trip the mechanism, if only partially.
Oct 21, 2012 5:59 AM

Mar 2011
Nice!

I haven't been this hooked on a dystopian far-future since I read the Nausicaa comics!

Really enjoying the feel of this and I can't get Maria's face out of my head. I think it's jsut the red hair and well drawn hairstyles that's doing it though!
Oct 21, 2012 5:59 AM

Aug 2012
nice ep, finally we got some answers
Oct 21, 2012 6:43 AM

Dec 2010
Barion-Zara said:
edwd2 said:
BunnyKing said:
Everyone is dropping this show because of yuri/yaoi unfortunately.

5/5 btw

Watching: 15,341
Completed: 0
On-Hold: 247
Dropped: 436

At least not right now, but I doubt A1 will animate those scenes, and I don't want to see them either

If u watch the PV2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J-Vw9WfQs4&feature=relmfu I think they'll actually animate it.
Where does this PV imply Yaoi?
Oct 21, 2012 6:46 AM

Aug 2009
Excellent episode. This was truly magnificent.
Oct 21, 2012 7:33 AM

Jun 2008
wenchance said:
This show is getting intense. Liking it more with each new episode.
I think I'm the only one here who cried a bit after seeing 980 Petabytes of all the bibliographical in the world get burned to a crisp by a monk. It's like the library of alexander but worse.

No. I wanted to cry too. Not to mention besides the knowledge, It was the cutest library ever, I would love to have one of those as pet.

amare135 said:
Where does this PV imply Yaoi?

It implies sex (hetero) but I think the person was suggesting that hetero sex

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 21, 2012 7:49 AM

Feb 2011
Fabulous episode, that's what I like in anime series

At ep 1,2 my vote was oscilating between 6 and 8
(especially for graphics, music, and plot potential)
At ep 3 I was sure to mark it as 7 but waiting for the next episode to reveal some of the history secrets

Now I put 8 byt I''m thinking about 9 - this show can be great, i'm wondering what will bring next episode
Oct 21, 2012 8:03 AM

Dec 2009
The long introduction has paid off. As of now I'm fully invested in the show's narrative and characters.
Ara ara.
Oct 21, 2012 8:57 AM

Feb 2011
I hope we don't have more episodes like this. Ten minutes of one person straight up talking to the camera does not for acceptable exposition make.
Oct 21, 2012 9:20 AM

Aug 2011
Wow , this episode was freaking amazing. I love the soundtracks in this anime , it's so emerging. Does anyone when the OSTS comes out?
Oct 21, 2012 9:31 AM

Dec 2011
Shoujo_Q said:
Mexonizator said:

I suppose you could have someone try and fool you into thinking it wasn't a human that you were killing, but you'd have to actually fall for it.

I don't think it's necessary, because...

Shoujo_Q said:
After all, the Minoshiro-Modoki's projection of a human, which was obviously fake, was enough to trip the mechanism, if only partially.

Exactly! This proves that you don't have to realize nature of your enemy (of course the monk knew they're rats, not people). It's just a trigger in your brain, which works by recognizing a creature before you. So theoretically all you need to do is deceive it on a level of logic.
Oct 21, 2012 9:40 AM

Sep 2012
Lelouch22 said:
One of the most intriguing scenes was when the suppressed memory of Saki severely desiring to kill the old Priest was unveiled, in which she had temporarily suffered through the "death feedback".

I would like to say again that Saki did not hurt or tried to hurt the old priest. The old priest tricked Saki into thinking she did, thus triggering her "death feedback" response. This is to make sure that her "death feedback" mechanism worked fine for her. I would expect other kids should have gone through similar experience in their initiation rite.

Yumekichi11 said:

Yumekichi11 said:

About thee end, well I liked all that priest monk person in the spoiler
burning off that monster but WTF is that girl in the flames? Who is the kid and purpose of this image? Could it have to do with the answer it was giving out?
symbv said:
I think it was quite clearly explained by Shun in the episode. I am not sure how it is translated in English sub but that has to do with the "Kishi kiko" that prevents a human from killing another human. The image is a self-protective mechanism by the robot library against human sabotage.

Actually it succeeded in hurting the priest, although the priest, having such strong power, managed to kill it off first. Yet just that image was sufficient in gravely hurting a person with so strong power.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.