Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 20, 2012 4:16 AM

Jun 2012
Finally we get all the interesting backstory on human civilization. I've been waiting for this.
Action was great and I can't wait for the next episode.
taketoriOct 20, 2012 4:24 AM
‎"Our everyday lives may, in fact, be a series of miracles." - Nichijou
Oct 20, 2012 4:55 AM

Oct 2009
Good, now things are really interesting!
Oct 20, 2012 5:39 AM
Sep 2011
look at SAO thread ... the most comments topic was episode 10 when they had sex ... MAL people ...
Oct 20, 2012 5:40 AM

Oct 2009
Holy shit, this was beyond great. Oh my god.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2012 5:43 AM

Feb 2011
MEHHHHHHHH Broing episodes , thought of dropping the series twice , but i'm strong .
Oct 20, 2012 6:04 AM

Sep 2011
UnbornMVs said:
MEHHHHHHHH Broing episodes , thought of dropping the series twice , but i'm strong .

If you think that was boring. You should just drop it.
Oct 20, 2012 6:06 AM

Jun 2008
Queezrats are awesome. period.
And regarding the spoiler of the novel of you know what, all I have to say is...
AWESOME!!! Just the type of story I like the best XD

Also ranting a bit, all characters except Maria will change their VA´s and are listed. I dont understand why Saki´s other VA is not listed. (Endo Aya). Oh well...

damnit, Kaji Yuuki again...

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 20, 2012 6:23 AM

Apr 2011
This is the best episode so far. A lot of information revealed in this ep and by reading some of those spoilers seem like things are going to be picking up even more.
Oct 20, 2012 6:25 AM

Mar 2011
Amazing episode
What are those Queerats exactly, are they hunter, slaves or what?
many questions still unanswered, but it really become interesting
That preview looks great
Oct 20, 2012 7:23 AM

Sep 2012
really enjoyed this episode. the library explained a lot of answers, so that was good. we're finally understanding the type of society they live in. and also, that was crazy how they said that that clapping scene for that emperor lasted 3 days..
'What we learned as children, that one plus one equals two, we know to be false. One plus one equals one. We even have a word for when you, plus another, equals one. That word is love.' ~ The Buddha
Oct 20, 2012 8:00 AM
Sep 2011
Orulyon said:

damnit, Kaji Yuuki again...

Playing a gay guy again...
Oct 20, 2012 8:11 AM
Jul 2018
HibiChouchou said:
look at SAO thread ... the most comments topic was episode 10 when they had sex ... MAL people ...

Why are some people so obsessed with sex, rather, so eager to see the sex happen, this is such a disgrace.
Oct 20, 2012 8:24 AM

Jun 2009
2012 have been quiet after a strong 2011 year. (AnoHana, Steins;Gate, Madoka, Penguindrum)

My god this show might actually just turn out to be the very best show of 2012 at this rate!! Every episode felt like less than a minute!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2012 8:28 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
edwd2 said:
HibiChouchou said:

Why are some people so obsessed with sex, rather, so eager to see the sex happen, this is such a disgrace.

A good portion of the MAL users are teenagers, another portion otaku in the traditional sense (actually they are few in the West). However, it would be presumptuous to assume all teenagers and otakus are sex-obsessed so I won't say anything.

As for the episode, another stellar episode that presents the speculated human history. Of course, there are still "inconsistencies" and many mysteries about the system. The thrill of this series is that those questions will slowly be answered further. After all, this is only the 4th episode.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 20, 2012 8:39 AM

Jun 2009
edwd2 said:
BunnyKing said:
Everyone is dropping this show because of yuri/yaoi unfortunately.

5/5 btw

Watching: 15,341
Completed: 0
On-Hold: 247
Dropped: 436

At least not right now, but I doubt A1 will animate those scenes, and I don't want to see them either

Those scene don't have to be animated. Indicated is more than enough.

If there's something I learn from watching a lot of modern movies... It's that those kind of scene do ruin the flow of the show. (Go to a movie with a few friends and you'll find out)

I wouldn't mind the indication and limited scene if it's necessary for character development, which, from the narration of this episode, seem like it'll play a big part in how they character "grow" and "live"
Oct 20, 2012 8:45 AM

Dec 2009
Nice episode, but it would've been much stronger if the previous three episodes were handled better. It lacked a certain... emotional impact.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Oct 20, 2012 8:54 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Just a little reminder:

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

In this case, do not discuss the novel beyond this episode.
Also, this is not the thread to discuss other anime.
Oct 20, 2012 8:57 AM
Sep 2011
Luna_ said:
Just a little reminder:

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

*Novel*...
Oct 20, 2012 9:04 AM

Jun 2009
Marow said:
Nice episode, but it would've been much stronger if the previous three episodes were handled better. It lacked a certain... emotional impact.

I disagree.

Imo, it's exactly because of how mild the story have been, then followed by a relaxing summer camp atmosphere, that made the library scene so powerful.
Oct 20, 2012 9:09 AM

Dec 2011
Imagine clapping for three days.

Sick.

So far, a satisfying episode, though we still don't know many things (the queerats, etc). But I guess we will soon know that.
And what are Fiends? What is the R-Klogius syndrome? Could anyone explain this for me?
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Make a contract with me... /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
Oct 20, 2012 10:30 AM
Jul 2018
I'm in awe over this series. I was reading the spoiler thread, and wow. This is probably going to be EPIC.
Oct 20, 2012 11:33 AM

Jul 2012
Starting to get really interesting :o The back story was pretty interesting as well, it would be cool to see more flashbacks of what happened during our time.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Oct 20, 2012 11:45 AM

Aug 2011
God, this is so good. Looks like it's finally adding up with the synopsis - they're going to join up with the Queerats. What a cliffhanger, though.

Mamoru needs to die soon. He's 100 times worse than Yukiteru and Shinji.

Barion-Zara said:

If u watch the PV2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J-Vw9WfQs4&feature=relmfu I think they'll actually animate it.

Wait. At 1:33-1:52 of that PV are Saki and Satoru doing what I think they're doing?! What the fudgesicles? Aren't they 12 years old?
yamagoopOct 20, 2012 12:03 PM
Oct 20, 2012 12:13 PM

Aug 2011
Vortiene said:
Quite honestly one of the best episodes i have seen thus far this year...
Yep pretty much.

However, I'd bet that the approval poll wouldn't be so high if there wasn't action, which is a shame, since the story is by far the most interesting part of the show.

Speaking of stories, probably the best story of the year right here.
Oct 20, 2012 12:24 PM

Mar 2010
Very interesting episode, although I gotta admit that the talking in the first half was really confusing. I'm really looking forward for more though.
Oct 20, 2012 12:40 PM

Sep 2012
Those who read my earlier posts should remember me saying Ep.4 is where all hell broke loose and I hope you guys are not disappointed.

And now given the secret of the world is now out, I can say it now: I think if we suddenly see a bunch of mutants with superpowers, this may be a more likely scenario of what will become instead of X-Men.

One key thing in this episode, among many others, is the explanation of why promiscuity, homesexual love and underaged sex is all considered normal in this world. I am really surprised how many people in MAL seem to be taken aback by this bit of spoiler and make a huge whadafuq fuss about it - as I said before it is a part of the worldview but definitely not its main element, and it has a clear explanation in accordance with how the present world is formed. People should be mature enough to consider such possibility of human society development and take it as it is.

Yumekichi11 said:
However I wonder with all the depiction of the monkeys and their caring for each other why of reactions Saki does the face-palm in the spoiler
I mean WTF is that for exactly? Makes no sense as to her reaction towards this.

I think it makes sense for her reaction, which seems to me she was struggling to absorb all the torrents of information and keep her mind clear and unconfused.

Yumekichi11 said:

About thee end, well I liked all that priest monk person in the spoiler
burning off that monster but WTF is that girl in the flames? Who is the kid and purpose of this image? Could it have to do with the answer it was giving out?

I think it was quite clearly explained by Shun in the episode. I am not sure how it is translated in English sub but that has to do with the "Kishi kiko" that prevents a human from killing another human. The image is a self-protective mechanism by the robot library against human sabotage.

Freigeist said:
There are quite a few hints suggesting that Saki bears a rather violent personality from the presumably sealed memory about her stabbing the old priest to her stress reaction during the explanation by the library. Last episode she also had no qualms about damaging the false minoshiro forcefully.

You got it wrong. The old priest deliberately stabbed himself but tricked her into thinking that she had hurt him. This triggered the "Kishi Kiko" which pusher her into fainting. It was not really sealed memory but a flashback by Saki when she realized her experience of fainting during the initiation rite was due to the "Kishi Kiko" genetic mechanism buiilt into her body.

And if Saki was violent, she would not have tried to ask the priest not to exterminate all the queerats facing him.

As for people who again hate "crybaby", I would say that it is a reaction as realistic as other kids like Saki or Satoru. Not every kid can take in such devastating revelations without his ability to react calmly and rationally being substantially compromised.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 20, 2012 1:24 PM

Jun 2011
DraconisMarch said:
Yep pretty much.

However, I'd bet that the approval poll wouldn't be so high if there wasn't action, which is a shame, since the story is by far the most interesting part of the show.

Speaking of stories, probably the best story of the year right here.

We finally agree on something. xD
Oct 20, 2012 1:48 PM

Jun 2008
itsvero said:

Barion-Zara said:

If u watch the PV2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J-Vw9WfQs4&feature=relmfu I think they'll actually animate it.

Wait. At 1:33-1:52 of that PV are Saki and Satoru doing what I think they're doing?! What the fudgesicles? Aren't they 12 years old?

If Im not mistaken...in that part they´re probably 14 years old.

Oh my. What a surprise. Never thought they would animate it indeed.

symbv said:

One key thing in this episode, among many others, is the explanation of why promiscuity, homesexual love and underaged sex is all considered normal in this world. I am really surprised how many people in MAL seem to be taken aback by this bit of spoiler and make a huge whadafuq fuss about it - as I said before it is a part of the worldview but definitely not its main element, and it has a clear explanation in accordance with how the present world is formed. People should be mature enough to consider such possibility of human society development and take it as it is.

I agree. Its not impossible that a society according to this rules would come to exist in the future in a dystopian world. In Ancient Greece everyone was gay/lesbo/Bi/hetero (with 12 years old as the age limit) and no one complained, it was completely accepted and spread as a normal social behavior at that time.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Oct 20, 2012 2:00 PM

Aug 2012
Very interesting !!! Looking forward to the next ep
Oct 20, 2012 2:02 PM
Sep 2011
Not sure why but I really hate Shun.

I hate the way he treats Saroru, like when he shut him up at the beginning of this episode. Kind of made me wonder why would Satoru let him his... cherry(?).

After all it would be Shun who would make the first move on Satoru and not the other way around.

I like him and Saki together. Shun can go to hell for all I care.
deave112Oct 20, 2012 2:07 PM
Oct 20, 2012 2:15 PM

Sep 2011
A society which the protagonists live is immersed in 2 key things to restrict the seemingly endless war that the conflict between the owners of PK and ordinary humans have.

The first would be the 'education process' that the robot library mention. With the proper handling of the information and the customs, a society that was highly advanced scientifically becomes mystical once again.Legends and myths, metaphors in stories told to children, restrictions of freedom, all this is done to prevent the society to head back to the state of chaos that was previously.

The second restriction is genetic, that I had also contemplated, but did not think it would really be put it in this story. Well, the genetic restriction also explains some interesting facts about the history, how certain characters got kind of ill when they fell hatred towards something. For example what happened to Saki in episode 2 where Satoru was mocking her about the mythological story of the cat that I forget the name now, she suddenly had a malaise. In this fourth episode there were too many cases that would fit in the "death feedback" rule.

Finally, with these two elements there they shaped the society as it is now and in this case, it explains why they exclude those who are not fit to live in this community mercilessly. After all, it's better lose 10 than 10x10^10, I think this is their logic.

So far things fell into place so well that deserves praise for being very good at only 4 episodes. This episode had a lot of information, I see that people in communities failed to secure even 1/3 of what was said, even being explained everything so well, too bad.
Oct 20, 2012 2:18 PM

Apr 2012
So far there hasn't really been anything in this anime that has kept me interested. I guess four episodes is as far as I'll last with no interest.

It's too bad really, because I liked the base idea of this show.
Oct 20, 2012 2:30 PM

Jul 2012
Time after time im amazed how amazing ending to this anime is. Despite the story of anime is very slowly getting interesting.
Oct 20, 2012 2:36 PM

Sep 2011
Hm, for me it was interesting from the beggining. The development is going according to some other works of the genre that deal with the same subject. But that's not a problem, realy.
Oct 20, 2012 3:00 PM
Aug 2012
I dunno what's up with the guy who made the original novel being retarded. The guys get a breakdown when they hear that they feel pain if they try to hurt someone. Uhh that's fucking obvious. What else you gonna fucking do? Just let everyone murder each other with the thought of "oh yeah I'll kill this guy now"
Oct 20, 2012 3:22 PM

Nov 2011
Thats alot of info, that leaves even more questions

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 20, 2012 3:34 PM

May 2012
Damn cliffhanger!!! Can't wait for the next episode....
Oct 20, 2012 4:06 PM

Jun 2012
This anime is fricking insane
I paused during this episode so many times to think "did that just happen" just like I was reading a war memoir like With the old Breed
Wow show of the season right here if it keeps it up my mind was so far blown with the detail of the previous world
wow
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Oct 20, 2012 4:28 PM

Sep 2012
Oct 20, 2012 4:47 PM

Jul 2011
I'm going to be a huge animal nerd, and say that I loved when they mentioned ethology and bonobos.
Also, I'm so happy this was adapted from a novel because the plot (especially the plot), characters, concept, and ect. are almost guaranteed to be a step up from the usual animes.
Oct 20, 2012 5:09 PM

Aug 2008
deave112 said:

I hate the way he treats Saroru, like when he shut him up at the beginning of this episode. Kind of made me wonder why would Satoru let him his... cherry(?).

After all it would be Shun who would make the first move on Satoru and not the other way around.

What the fuck are you talking about.

Take the spoiler shit somewhere else.
Oct 20, 2012 5:09 PM

May 2010
Damn this is getting even darker then b4, a blood stain past and it seem like history is gonna repeat is self.

This plot is turn out to be really good so far, glad it didnt take alot of episode to get there, i kinda got lost in the history lession back it all good.
Oct 20, 2012 5:11 PM

Mar 2011
This is getting gooooood~
Oct 20, 2012 5:25 PM
Sep 2011
destructo22 said:
deave112 said:

What the fuck are you talking about.

Take the spoiler shit somewhere else.

It's not that big of a spoiler.
Oct 20, 2012 5:42 PM

Aug 2008
That's everyone's response. Just don't talk about it.

What's even worse is that you quoted the mod that warned about spoilers.
Oct 20, 2012 5:57 PM

Sep 2012
Vortiene said:
Quite honestly one of the best episodes i have seen thus far this year...

Shit just got real. I really hope this plot starts reaching it's potential, because it's building up really nicely now.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Oct 20, 2012 6:09 PM

Jun 2011
AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY AOTY
Oct 20, 2012 6:13 PM

Aug 2009
Awesome ep, awesome series :D
Unique setting, very interesting plot, nice atmosphere, if it got these points, I really don't care if the animation is not that great.
I think this is the "Jinrui wa Suitai mashita" of this season ;-)

Hope it maintains it's suspensing atmosphere and quality and doesn't drift into something ridiculous!
Oct 20, 2012 6:19 PM

Mar 2012
Damn, that was a fantastic, riveting episode, as it was suffused with a plethora of significant developments that partially illuminated the complexities surrounding the darkly mysterious nature of the world. Despite expository dialogue permeating the episode, the excellent pacing never faltered, which is a testament to how brilliantly the writing and direction complement the fluidity of the story.

This episode revealed an extensive amount of insight into the blood-stained evolution of their world, most notably through the weaving of the historical preludes that have opened each episode into a layered, interconnected tapestry. The manner in which Boy A's actions were illustrated evoked a highly unsettling atmosphere, since we're provided momentary glimpses of the carnage borne from his harrowing brutality, as nineteen were raped and seventeen were murdered. Essentially, these actions propelled the societal descent into chaos and an eventual decay. It was rather interesting, though not entirely unexpected, to notice how astonished they were upon learning that humans are actually capable of murder. One of the most intriguing scenes was when the suppressed memory of Saki severely desiring to kill the old Priest was unveiled, in which she had temporarily suffered through the "death feedback".

The most compelling moment, I feel, involved the minoshiro bursting into flames, consequently illuminating the image of a woman holding a baby. Given the visually momentous nature of the framing within that scene, it could potentially foreshadow an adult Saki holding her child. Another interesting shot was Saki's anguished expression that accompanied the seemingly painful moment in which her Cantus was pierced by the monk, thus creating a distinct parallel to the moment the same occurred in the first episode. The minoshiro also revealed that Fiends suffer from "Fox in the Henhouse" syndrome, while Karma Demons suffer from Hashimoto Appelbaum syndrome. Once again, the terminology remains somewhat indistinct, yet there's a certain level of understanding toward what these allude to. However, it remains unclear whether these afflictions reside in any of the main characters, though it seems quite possible, given the ominous declaration at the end of episode two, which might infer that Maria could very well be a Fiend or Karma Demon herself.

I especially liked the moment when, as they're unraveling the morbid history of their world, Saki's eyes close immediately following an image of a murderer's eyes opening, effectively depicting the contrasting sensibilities between one that relishes his awakened savagery and one that is repulsed by it. I loved the illusory touch of distorting the minoshiro's voice as, while discovering the truth surrounding the plethora of disturbingly cruel Emperors, Saki becomes increasingly unwilling to listen, tormented by this unforeseen depravity. My favorite sequence though, by far, was when the monk slaughtered the group of evolved, hostile queerats, which was particularly beautiful due to their hidden form revealing itself as something that appeared to be a human crying out, which potentially implies that the queerats are descended from those who previously existed as part of the hunter tribes. This could also intimate that the Elders are somehow using suggestive telepathy to conceal their true manifestations.

Their moments of reluctant curiosity were illuminated very effectively, such as their pained trepidation at what might await upon wholly discovering which segment of civilization their ancestors came from. As such, the identity of their ancestors was divulged as the scientists, which, at first, they were relieved to hear, but were then mortified once more as the dark truth that surrounded their actions was revealed, effectively indicating that human nature inevitably predetermines an animalistic proclivity. Following the fall of the various empires, the scientists sought to deconstruct and control humanity's psychic abilities.

It was quite interesting to learn that the scientists temporarily examined the bonobos as a means to induce a peaceful, compliant nature among the humans. Through this, they began using sex to allay the threat of violence being awoken, which, I can only assume, will likely play a considerable part as the story progresses. Despite this, whatever sex they'll eventually engage in seems likely to be wholly devoid of emotion, used solely as a means to an end. Following their failure to produce flawless results, the scientists conjured the idea to restrain violence by altering their genetic makeup, filtering in a "death feedback", a form of manipulation that prevents murder among those who possess Cantus by inducing partial organ failure. All of this tightly structured control eventually led to the "removal" of children who were potentially dangerous, which becomes even more unsettling, since it's known that humans are entirely incapable of killing other humans.

The character development was quite significant as well, since the events of this episode essentially signified an irrevocable loss of innocence. The future for them is rather unknown in regards to the psychological effects and implications from their newly acquired knowledge, but it's possible that some could construct a facade of relatively deadened emotions. Saki is a terrific character, due to her wonderfully complex characterization. There's a subtle dichotomy between her innocent exterior and the restricted emotions of a seemingly violent persuasion that lie dormant within, particularly displayed in several instances throughout the episode, such as the suppressed memory of her having desired to kill the aged priest. Saki also displays a heightened level of acute perception, as she's the only one who realizes Rijin as the true enemy.

The production values remain remarkably impressive. The direction, in particular, is excellent, especially in the nuanced framing of certain shots, which was especially noticeable in one of the final scenes, as the clouded apparition briefly, but strikingly appears in the midst of the dust that surrounds the queerats' dying bodies. The music was consistently superb throughout, thankfully lacking the jarring quality that was present in the past episode or so. I especially loved the suitably beautiful, amazingly atmospheric musical selection that accompanied the scene in which Rijin kills the queerats. The sound mix was really good as well; the complete isolation of Saki's voice as she tentatively asks, "what did he do", was exceptionally well done. The animation is able to brilliantly capture their specific emotions through detailed facial expressions and an impressive use of quick edits. This allows for a necessarily convincing portrayal of their emotional fragility. Above all, the writing is, up to this point, extremely strong. The manner in which the story has been carefully, meticulously told is extremely refreshing.

All in all, From the New Worlds continues to excel with it's thoroughly interesting narrative, writing, and direction. What's most intriguing is the vague, unpredictable nature surrounding which path the story will take from here. I'm very excited for the next episode, and, judging by the preview, I'm looking forward to seeing how exactly they'll manage to survive without the ability to wield their temporarily sealed Cantus, and I'm assuming they'll be stranded in the forest for quite some time.
Oct 20, 2012 6:35 PM

Mar 2009
Papde said:
And what are Fiends? What is the R-Klogius syndrome? Could anyone explain this for me?

The Minoshiro-Modoki did just that. Also, R-Klogius should probably be Rahman-Claudius.

itsvero said:

Did you even watch epsiode 4?
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.