Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2012 4:48 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Dear god Meowth's English accent was terrible, rofl.
May 26, 2015 5:47 PM

Jul 2014
This episode was awesome just because of Absol.
Sep 22, 2015 12:55 PM

Apr 2014
I liked Absol. It was pretty cool.
"You don't become Hokage in order to be acknowledged by the village.
The one who is acknowledged by everyone, is the one who becomes Hokage."
Uchiha Itachi, Naruto Shippuden
Dec 4, 2016 1:51 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
8x15.

Absol, yes a beautiful Absol in the mountains, and a dangeours on the next town!!!
Aug 12, 2018 2:57 PM
Mar 2018
This episode was alright. The plot with Absol being blamed for disasters could've been lame if it was just a guy, but when it turned out the real reason was an incoming flood, that was a much more interesting twist. Also I love Absol. It's really cool.
Oct 17, 2020 1:20 PM

Jul 2008
Absol is a main pokemon for me, just too cool.
Jun 4, 2021 8:05 PM

Sep 2017
nickname: Misunderstood
Dec 25, 2021 3:17 AM

Aug 2021
So this time, continuing the journey to Izabe Island we find Ash and his friends yet again in a filler episode with a town full of people blaming Absol for the disasters which are taking place in their town in which the town's bridges were mysteriously destroyed after Absol have started appearing in the town. And the story takes many twists and turns with Team Rocket posing as hunters and the disappearance of the brother of the character of the day. So considering the filler streak hasn't been high and it serving as the TV episode debut episode for Absol, how well did this one do? Overall the episode was enjoyable with no stretched out aspect and a balanced plot spread within the time limit.

Looking towards the positive aspect of the story, the episode connects well with the Pokedex entry of Absol which states "Absol has the ability to foretell the coming of natural disasters. It lives in a harsh, rugged mountain environment. This Pokémon very rarely ventures down from the mountains." - Pokemon Sapphire. That being said looking closely the episode was built completely around the pokedex entry. Absol being found in the mountains, foretelling disasters and venturing down from the mountains only on special occasions. This is a nice way to write a filler episode with the focus being on a certain aspect of the Pokemon world, this time being on a specific Pokemon - Absol and portraying that aspect from all the angles. This is what makes it a better filler and a reason why AG fillers are considered better than the Johto fillers.

Next, while the episode had a similar structure with most of the other episodes with the introduction to a conflict in the earlier part of the episode and its resolution in the later part with a happy ending, it did have a nice plot twist which other people in the comments seemed to enjoy. With all the mysteries surrounding the episode and their resolution, this episode was a nice source of 20 minute entertainment. I personally liked the boss fantasy of the episode where Meowth was unable to find any benefit in stealing Absol and just went away with their Pikachu business. I also appreciate that during this part of the story how the number of fillers have dropped and the ones that are actually there are still good *cough*last episode *cough*. Also, after the last animation upgrade in Episode 105 we have many wonderfully animated shots, one such example being the scene with Absol and the character of the day's brother ready to battle with the wind flowing.

Now coming onto the flaws. Well, this episode didn't have any flaws which stood out but there still are is a scope for improvement. First of all, the boss fantasy could have taken into account how Team Rocket could use the then assumed "disastrous power" of Absol to cause havoc around the world but that's just another way of thinking and I can't blame it on the writers for not writing it like that. One of the problem from the episode was Team Rocket being sidelined for the major part of the plot because of a silly excuse by the writers and then showing up at the end to serve almost no purpose. Even though they would have been annoying trying to catch Pikachu yet again but still unable to act because of being trapped on the spherical boulder which continued to move about its position even after Team Rocket stopped moving was plain lame.

That said, even with the mentioned problem, I'd still say the episode ends up being pleasant enough. It could've definitely been better but it was a nice one to highlight Absol which was one of the fan favourites in Gen III. Now only one more badge left to go, let's see how the story goes. And even though I think it was a bit lengthy but I hope you enjoyed reading my review. Well then, let's move towards an icy episode!!!
Aug 21, 2022 5:11 PM

Dec 2007
been long time since team rocket was just pure comedy relief. totally made me crack a laugh.

was good episode and all, but you would expect a little better presentation for cool pokemon as absol.
Aug 13, 2023 12:41 PM

Jul 2013
Absol looks like an Eevee evolution

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon Advanced Generation Episode 33 Discussion

Albi-kun - Jun 27, 2014

7 by Larutz »»
Yesterday, 5:13 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Advance Episode 6 Discussion

removed-user - Nov 30, 2009

17 by Larutz »»
Yesterday, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Advance Episode 4 Discussion

VVill - Dec 31, 2011

6 by Larutz »»
Yesterday, 2:37 AM

Poll: » Pokemon Advanced Generation Episode 167 Discussion

LauPi314 - Dec 9, 2014

8 by Frezlaj »»
Feb 25, 10:13 PM

» I really like how much better handled May was than Misty

precita - Jan 29

3 by MrYujufudan »»
Feb 11, 4:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.