Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Post New Reply
Poll: Girls und Panzer Episode 1 Discussion

Dec 7, 2013 11:38 PM

flaxman85 said:
another little girl + heavy machinery themed feminist-driven anime...

another anime i have to endure 3 EP before dropping... sih

Huh? What? That makes not one tiny bit of sense.

Of course you haven't watched it, but "feminist"??? Not at all. Not even close. Except in that positive way in which girls can actually DO things without boys around to "help them" every five seconds. Or rescue them constantly.

I consider that a plus... huge plus.

The girls in the "automotive club" (team Leopon, in the Porsche Tiger!) are my favorites! Kawaii!

Dec 14, 2013 2:16 AM
zenjamibu said:
I really wish people wouldn't judge this anime based on the first episode alone. This is a series and not a movie. It needs to establish first before it gets going. If after watching the whole series and you still don't like it, that's fine.

Seems like a silly statement in a thread named "Girls und Panzer Episode 1 Discussion", impressions are impression.

Even with the extremely pro-bullying message of the first episode I do plan to watch atleast a few more episodes. I defintely was put off from finishing it for awhile but I definitely will.

If you wish to discuss final evaluations of the series, I suggest you go to final episode thread :/

Dec 14, 2013 4:16 AM

^Call it silly but I think there's nothing wrong with what I said.

Oh about the pro-bullying thing, I don't think Hana and Saori pressured Miho in joining Tankery. They let her think it over but when Miho still didn't want to they respected her decision and joined her in her chosen elective and in fact defended her against the student council. There's a reason for all of this but I don't want to give spoilers. You just have to check it out. Whether you'll like the reason or not is up to you.
Modified by zenjamibu, Dec 14, 2013 7:27 AM

Jan 31, 2014 10:44 PM

This first episode bored me to a degree few others things on his planet are capable of matching.

But I'll give it a few more episodes.

If things don't improve, I'm dropping this.
Salmon is delicious.

Feb 1, 2014 9:08 AM

zenjamibu said:
^Call it silly but I think there's nothing wrong with what I said.

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with it, but it is silly. If you don't get a good first impression from the first episode, you're not going to be particularly excited to see the next episode.

I didn't enjoy this first episode, but I continued watching until the end, and it seemed to get a bit better as it went on. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as many other people did, but it was definitely watchable.

It's the anime's responsibility to give out good first impressions, not your responsibility. First episodes are generally supposed to set the mood and give you a good idea of what you're in for if you decide to watch it to completion.

Now, if someone straight out drops the anime after watching only the first episode, then that's a bit silly. Dropping your rating by a few points due to a rough start makes sense, but there's a good chance you'll pass up a diamond in the rough if you give up after the very first episode. There is the exception that someone may realize after watching the first episode that the anime does not match their tastes, and drops it simply based on taste alone, but if so then they should not rate the anime.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.

Feb 28, 2014 4:50 PM

They all looks so funny i mean womans in a tank xD
And wow that whole city is a giant boat :D

Mar 8, 2014 2:49 AM

Why is there so much hate on the show? I think you guys just didn't get the joke. I was laughing non-stop throughout the whole episode. The writers like to just keep it straight and don't bother explaining, that girls on a huge-ass ship doing tank battles is utterly absurd.
I mean, look at all the lampshading. They know exactly what they're doing and it's hilarious.

Mar 12, 2014 3:39 PM

Their formation is wunderbar and I spilled tea everywhere, hats of to whoever made the subtitles.
Modified by LJohn, Mar 12, 2014 3:44 PM

May 8, 2014 11:16 AM
So I picked this up after having looked at its page on TV Tropes, and despite the fact that I don't have much interest in tanks, I find the juxtaposition of cute teenage girls and military machines intriguing.

Miho's English language VA makes me think of Eiko in Squid Girl.

I love that name: Sneaky Sneaks.

Wow, impressive memory. So no matter who tried to befriend her, she'd know on sight, I guess.

Prez reminds me of Miu from Ichigo Mashimaro, in like three distinct ways.

Hey, I wonder if we'll be introduced to the "random" girls they focus on later...

Heh. Tankery gets this drawn-out introduction, and everything else... meh, they can see it on this shot of the form. Which, by the way, has Tankery taking up as much space as the rest combined.

I like that they say guys and tanks are "mismatched", considering the "soul names" the members of one team chose...

Hmm. Her saying that makes me wonder what Little Army is going to be like. Guess I'll find out in late December!

"They've got personality, wouldn't you say?"
"I think the word you're looking for is 'rust'."
XD

Now see, this is why they deferred the OP to the end. The big reveal: The whole city's on a massive ship. (Presumably, there's a whole lot of ship we don't see down below the water. Of course, this limits where it can travel, but I guess they figure they don't need to go to those places.
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"

Jun 10, 2014 2:13 PM

This is a strange series.

I wonder if she'll be facing off against her sister at some point? Also wondering if she'll be the defacto president of the club.

I can't help but think that she shouldn't have joined and that her friends shouldn't have asked her to. Also think that trying to force someone with a phobia to confront said phobia for your own selfish interest is extremely wrong and basis for impeachment (of the student council president). Sad thing is, she can't even transfer to get away from it since it sounds like all schools are required to have it now.

Oh well, I doubt this is a particularly deep series, so it'll all work out somehow. Probably with the power of love and friendship.

Jul 16, 2014 10:53 AM

What's funny is that that tank looks much better than the anti-camo glossed scraps the others have.

Jul 23, 2014 12:46 PM

Woot.. I tried to watch this since I was looking for something like Sabagebu (no, not that lame C3) and how wrong I was.

It was quite amusing though.. there were a lot of WTF moments like:
- The pink tank (cute tho)
- TANK-wando, I thought it was pronounced TAN-Kwan-Do and I thought what the hell has to do with tanks? lol
- Tankwando is apparently the ultimate show of femininity instead of say, flower arranging lol..

Well, it's enough to keep me interested.

Aug 4, 2014 3:56 PM

First impressions, eh? I don't recal ever watching anything remotely as bizzare and absurd as this 'thing'. And while i spent entire episode being completely confused and shocked, i couldn't say i enjoyed it. I'm into anything related to WW2 and that's why i picked this anime, but it seems that little cute schoolgirls and tanks doesn't mix-up for me very well. And the fact that every single character in this show is a schoolgirl doesn't helps too. Finally, didn't liked drawing and looks of characters, so there's practically nothing in this show that appeals to me except tanks. Do i wanna waste any more time on it? Nah. But if there's to be any redeeming point there, is that from now i'm gonna at least read synopses before adding any new anime to my 'plan to watch' list. As for score, i give it a 1!

Aug 19, 2014 3:09 PM

Looks like I'm going to enjoy this anime.

Nov 17, 2014 7:04 AM

5/5

Taken by the wave of reviewing old anime series, after F/Z I am also resume GaruPan!
That's right, reconsider their judgments after a thorough understanding of an anime series, makes you discover things that can scapparti during the first run of a new anime.
I realize that while not the best scenes in the drawings, however, the environment is reproduced satisfactorily, considering that started as a television series almost unknown.
Drawings of the characters not lofty and Character Design is not just the most beautiful, but I noticed that it is quite original. Plot that moe approaches to a new genre, is that from the feeling of being insane enough, in his treatment. An example it has suffered in the dialogues of this first episode. While not shining even the CG, but the realization of the tanks is almost excellent.
Animations more than enough. Characters really nice, but not limited to (well, that you will discover going forward! LOL).
Narrative that is not immediately the best, but it is only an appearance.
Soundtrack and ending very cute and catchy.

Aug 17, 2015 1:38 PM

That opening scene, man what a ride! The first person perspective made for a really engaging hook and it pulled me in effortlessly. This whole thing is completely bizarre, tankwondo sounds like some Willy Wonka chocolate invention. The meeting in the gym was a hoot, they pulled off some text book recruiting and glorified tanks propaganda style.

The interaction between the 3 main girls felt a bit dry and made this episode drag, but otherwise this looks like it'll right up my alley.

Oct 11, 2015 12:24 PM

Nothing special, just the same generic moe nonsense as 90% of all anime that came out in the last 5 years.

Also, I love how obvious the CGI is with the tanks.

2/5

Dec 11, 2015 11:46 AM

The whole city is built on a giant carrier? Dafuq?

Mar 31, 2016 3:21 PM

Despite the CGI I liked the opening scene, even though it did make me a bit dizzy. It felt like it went downhill from there though. I don't like the girl with the lighter/auburn hair, and the whole thing about how operating tanks will make them better women who are more appealing to men pissed me off. Hope it'll get better because I want to enjoy this, but as of right now this isn't living up to my expectations.

Jul 17, 2016 7:08 AM

I really don't know what to say..... Many things to highlight...

Surprisingly good for me....

Aug 9, 2016 6:41 PM

I'm sure it'll be a fun show based on the first ep. I don't watch shows like these for serious plot or unique characters. I just want to see something light/goofy after work ^_^. I think I've grown a bigger appreciation for silly comedic shows after I started working 60 hours a week haha
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.

Nov 23, 2016 10:51 PM

Those CGI tanks at the beginning looked horrible!

Really weird beginning. Apparently fighting with tanks is cool? Wtf?

Feb 8, 2017 12:43 PM

What a shit school to bully a student into doing something she doesn't want to. Dropped.

May 23, 2017 10:10 AM

Holy shit, the whole episode was uncomfortably dystopian, with absurd jingoistic propaganda, which I hope we shouldn't take at face value. I'm going in with the 3 episode rule in mind but if it doesn't improve by then, I'm going to drop this without hesitation.
This signature is also Aikatsu

Oct 10, 2017 11:26 AM

as much as i like the series this first episode really annoys me as it feels so damn forced..

ignoring the obvious council forcing her those first two friends just show up out of nowhere as if scripted and mihos actions feel weird as if she were some wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man..

i almost wish those first two friends did just leave her alone to do the tank stuff and then miho left the school and the show continues to follow her..

Dec 18, 2017 4:30 AM

if i would have been her i would have just said i quit this school & go somewhere else if u abuse ur power that way!!!

Milennin said:
What a shit school to bully a student into doing something she doesn't want to. Dropped.
gomennasai said:
Holy shit, the whole episode was uncomfortably dystopian, with absurd jingoistic propaganda, which I hope we shouldn't take at face value. I'm going in with the 3 episode rule in mind but if it doesn't improve by then, I'm going to drop this without hesitation.

ur loss & u wont find out why she didn't want to do it, series gets good later

Dec 18, 2017 10:57 AM

@Sugram22

Good job replying to a post I've made, like, months ago. In the end I quite liked it, I've just found the first episode weird.
This signature is also Aikatsu

Dec 18, 2017 12:23 PM

gomennasai said:
@Sugram22

Good job replying to a post I've made, like, months ago. In the end I quite liked it, I've just found the first episode weird.

well i have even Quote even older post sometimes if i feel like it i think the oldest has been 2008 :)

Dec 23, 2017 11:47 PM

Not bad. I'm not totally into it yet, but I think it might grow on me.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 7, 4:38 PM

So I watched this sorta on a spur of the moment because I saw a video of anime girls in tanks singing in Russian. I shall see where this goes. And why are they on a boat?! I hope that gets answered.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"

Feb 18, 2:06 PM

Miho went SEED mode

That chronic disease joke haha

Did they actually invoke Godwin's law with the student council or is that also a subbers' joke?

I wonder why Miho has PTSD
Modified by Fortress_Maximus, Feb 20, 6:19 PM

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]