Forum Settings
Forums

Anime's that pulled the rug from under your feet....in a GOOD way (keep it spoiler free!)

New
Oct 6, 2012 8:07 PM
Mar 2012
This is NOT the same thing as my other thread in which I was asking about Animes that you objectively knew were "not good" but still enjoyed. For this one, the Anime probably got good reviews, but you were pretty surprised by how good it was, good plot, characterization, etc.

An anime can be good, but with a fan fare AND critical acclaim through which you are kind of expecting something decent anyway. So while I loved Fate/Zero, I kind of had the expectation that it'd be above average going into it.

But sometimes an anime is missing either the fan fare, or the critical acclaim and still ends up being solid.

Two stick out for me immediately:

GUNGRAVE:
Was expecting a shoot-a-thon and nothing more. Now there IS lots of shooting, don't get me wrong, but what a poignant, beautiful tale. It ends up being one of the best mob stories I've come across in ANY medium, not just anime.

GUNSINGLER GIRL:
Have been ignoring this on Netflix for two years, because the premise is about girls in high school outfits that are cyborgs that have cool guns. Stupid, cliche concept right? That's what I thought. Boy was I wrong. It's so much more than that--ends up being much deeper than that and becomes a great look about humanity. The beautiful setting in Italy and the nice score helps.
Mar 26, 2018 8:26 AM
Oct 2017
i thought clannad was supposed to be good and it turned out to be dogshit
Mar 26, 2018 8:29 AM

Jun 2015
bitchassdarius said:

The fact that you had to excavate a thread (with no replies no less) from 5 years ago just to complain about something that ended at a longer time is more laughable.
Mar 26, 2018 8:35 AM
Oct 2017
Brb said:
bitchassdarius said:

The fact that you had to excavate a thread (with no replies no less) from 5 years ago just to complain about something that ended at a longer time is more laughable.

haha yeah that's funny like rick and morty xD nice meme :o)
Mar 26, 2018 8:35 AM

Nov 2015
Brb said:
bitchassdarius said:

You are way more than just laughable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 26, 2018 8:40 AM
Jul 2015
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry.

The first few episodes were oscilating between horrible and cringy. The first episode itself started with fanservice shit right away. I was quite disappointed and was thinking to drop it.

Idk what made me bear with the first 6-7 episodes. I honestly don't know. But I am really-really glad I did. The show turned out to not be a harem crap. The latter half of the anime was brilliant, I loved it. I'm glad I finished it. The last episode was easily one of the best last episodes I've seen into an anime in a very long while. It was conclusive and satisfying, with a clear romance
Mar 26, 2018 8:48 AM
Feb 2016
AX3M said:
Brb said:

You are way more than just laughable.

Nah, man, you are just hilarious. :)
Mar 26, 2018 9:37 AM

Dec 2015
Heard Clannad was great. Went into it to see what the big fuss was all about thinking it would be average at best. Turned out to be one of my favorite stories in any medium and made me realize I like drama.

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

67 by Chuckiemuffin »»
30 seconds ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime? ( 1 2 )

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

51 by SombreStarling »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

163 by ItsYourBoyBlue »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

42 by SnipeStrike »»
5 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 24 minutes ago

2 by EpicO4 »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.