Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sunshine Sketch
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 6, 2012 6:21 PM
Apr 2011
I really can't see this show being all that popular. It's cute, but to be frank it's really vanilla. The only other slice of life anime I can think of that got 4 seasons is Natsume Yuujinchou. That show is arguably one of the best slice of life animes ever, so I think that it's length is rightfully so. Hidamari on the other hand...
Well, whatever. I'll still watch it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2012 7:00 PM

Nov 2011
Because people have different opinions than you. Just because you don't think its one of better SoL's, does not mean everybody else thinks the same. Enough people liked it for it to get a 4th season.

In my opinion its in the top 10 best SoL's, and one of shaft's best shows. So I understand why it gets a 4th season.
rederoinOct 6, 2012 7:04 PM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Oct 6, 2012 7:31 PM
Apr 2011
Tell me, what exactly in Hidamari do you see that makes you think that?

I'm curious what your top ten SoLs are, would you elaborate? Looking at your list, it doesn't look like you've seen much more than ten SoLs if that....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2012 8:25 PM

Nov 2010
makoa69 said:

I'm curious what your top ten SoLs are, would you elaborate? Looking at your list, it doesn't look like you've seen much more than ten SoLs if that....
You do know that what people like in an anime differ from each person right? and even if Natsume Yujinchou is better that doesn't mean that Hidamari sketch is bad.

I personally like that the main characters are all great, each one is uniique in the show. The art is great, as has already been said it's by Shaft, so it has it's signature artstyle. As it is a slice of life anime nothing big happens in it, not like Natsume fighting demons, it's always the girls and their life, whether it is about class, dieting, or other random things. It is funny and is a great anime to just watch and enjoy the girls lives, that's probably why people like it, it's why I like it.

I also believe it is one of the top 10 SoLs, up there with Mushishi, Aria, and Natsume Yujinchou, do you want to check my list?
Oct 7, 2012 5:30 AM

Nov 2011
makoa69 said:

The characters, the artstyle, the comedy.

Going by MALgraph, I got 40 series which are tagged with SoL.

I'm not including sora no woto in this list.
1. yuru yuri
2. K-on!
3. Welcome to the NHK
4. Space brothers
5. Saki
6. Haibane Renmei
7. Hidamari Sketch
rederoinJul 29, 2013 12:25 PM

Oct 7, 2012 7:35 AM
Apr 2011
LOL Introver looking through your list would take me over an hour! Haha sweet jesus you've seen a lot of anime! I did spot that the only anime you've given a 10 is One Piece. Interesting choice sir.

I'm not saying Hidamari shouldn't have 4 seasons because it's bad. I'm not upset that it has 4 seasons, I'm more surprised. I'm fully aware that people have different taste than myself, but even so. Is there people out there that twiddle their fingers throughout the week waiting for their weekly Hidamari? I just can't see a show like this warranting a large fan base, and the fact that it has one surprises me.

Interesting list rederoin, I'm glad to see NHK, one of my all-time favorites in there. I liked Toradora and Lucky Star too. Not sure what Kodomo no Jikan is doing in there though. :P That one's not my taste, I prefer Mitsudomoe. You should see Mushishi, Natsume Yuujinchou, Clannad After Story, Aria the Origination, Ano Hana, Usagi Drop, Kino no Tabi, ef- a tale of memories, Kanon, and Minami-Ke. One of those is bound to knock Hidamari off your list.
Oct 7, 2012 10:59 AM

Nov 2010
Well actually One Piece, Cross Game, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Well that's the thing, since it's a slice of life where nothing happens, it's an easy watch. You can watch it without having to pay attention to the little things or think that someobody will ever betray the characters, or any other big drama besides having to go to the store to buy a new drape and wondering about the color.

You can compare it to other slice of life anime like Natsume Yujinchou or Mushishi. But it's different than them and that could be part of the reason why people like them so much.
Oct 7, 2012 11:02 AM

Aug 2010
Because sometimes even Japan gets it right.
Oct 7, 2012 1:34 PM

Dec 2009
makoa69 said:
I'm fully aware that people have different taste than myself, but even so. Is there people out there that twiddle their fingers throughout the week waiting for their weekly Hidamari?

*raises hand*

I can see why other people would find it uninteresting though. It's a very "pure" slice-of-life show with nothing really special happening. Its art style and sense of humor are quite uncommon, too. But that's what I like about it. :)
Oct 7, 2012 2:05 PM
Nov 2010
because it's good

/thread
Oct 7, 2012 11:16 PM

Mar 2012
rederoin said:
in the top 10 best SoL's, and one of shaft's best shows.

Same

1. K-On!
2. Clannad After Story
3. Welcome to the NHK
4. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
5. Hanasku Iroha
6. Oreimo
7. Hidamari Sketch
8. Tari Tari
9. Nichijou
10. Minami- Ke

That's out of 47

My opinion is:
A-channel sucks, Yuruyuri is mediocre, Lucky Star is boring, Hidamari is great.
Oct 8, 2012 10:25 AM

Jun 2012
because it good sol with good art in background .it shaft best sol after all .
Oct 9, 2012 3:36 AM

Nov 2011
SquadmemberRitsu said:
rederoin said:

Same

1. K-On!
2. Clannad After Story
3. Welcome to the NHK
5. Hanasku Iroha
6. Oreimo
7. Hidamari Sketch
8. Tari Tari
9. Nichijou
10. Minami- Ke

That's out of 47

My opinion is:

Well, lucky star and hidamari sketch are close in terms of rating for me.
So if I where to include sora no woto(at 6# or 7#), hidamari sketch would still be at 10#(and luck star at 11#).

>It will never get a 2nd season

;_;

Oct 10, 2012 3:22 AM
Sep 2012
>Well known 4panel manga
>Low budget 1st season that has no high expectations
>Legion of low profile fans
>Unexpected high sales
>4 seasons

>2010-2012
>Lots of new anime fans
>wtf is hidamari sketch
>Your post
Oct 10, 2012 3:49 AM

Mar 2012
rederoin said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:
rederoin said:

Same

1. K-On!
2. Clannad After Story
3. Welcome to the NHK
5. Hanasku Iroha
6. Oreimo
7. Hidamari Sketch
8. Tari Tari
9. Nichijou
10. Minami- Ke

That's out of 47

My opinion is:

Well, lucky star and hidamari sketch are close in terms of rating for me.
So if I where to include sora no woto(at 6# or 7#), hidamari sketch would still be at 10#(and luck star at 11#).

>It will never get a 2nd season

;_;

Lucky Star's a guilty pleasure for me. I have a huge love hate relationship for it. To quote one of the users on this site, I'm tsundere for it.

Hidamari Sketch, on the other hand, I genuinely enjoyed. I loved every minute of it. The hilarious writing coupled with the great characters and Shaft's animation style almost immediately won me over.

Hidamari Sketch and K-On are actually the only 'cute girl' shows that appeal to me. Every other one I've watched I thought was anywhere from alright (Kanamemo) to awful (A-Channel).

It's a shame because I really like the style of these shows so I'm automatically drawn towards them. Unfortunately, I'm almost always disappointed by them.

Most of my favourite Slice of Life series tend to be dramas. Which is kind of odd since my favourite western productions are comedies.
Oct 10, 2012 9:02 AM

Dec 2009
Hidamari Sketch is one of Shaft's most selling anime if I'm not mistaken. I think only the Monogatari series and Madoka Magica sells more. Therefore, a new season. It's not really harder than that.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Oct 11, 2012 8:38 AM

Jan 2012
*EDIT*

Bah was already beaten to the punch

Z-flame said:
because it's good

/thread

qfw
Oct 12, 2012 1:02 AM
Jul 2018
bippo said:
>Well known 4panel manga
>Low budget 1st season that has no high expectations
>Legion of low profile fans
>Unexpected high sales
>4 seasons

>2010-2012
>Lots of new anime fans
>wtf is hidamari sketch
>Your post

This pretty much sums the main question of this thread. Hidamari is also unique among SoL's in art and overall style, and the production values since Hoshimittsu are just insane. I like how screencapping every frame of one Hidamari episode and then filling a modern art museum exhibition is a perfectly plausible idea.
Oct 12, 2012 1:05 AM

Sep 2012
makoa69 said:
I really can't see this show being all that popular. It's cute, but to be frank it's really vanilla. The only other slice of life anime I can think of that got 4 seasons is Natsume Yuujinchou. That show is arguably one of the best slice of life animes ever, so I think that it's length is rightfully so. Hidamari on the other hand...

Most likely because you are not that into slice-of-life genre. Natsume Yujinchou is not commonly classified as slice-of-life anime/manga in Japan while Hidamari Sketch is a representative slice-of-life anime/manga.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 12, 2012 5:28 AM

Oct 2011
Because it sells good, what in turn convinces investors to give money to make another season
and earn more

No other reason is needed
Oct 12, 2012 12:17 PM
Mar 2011
I love Hidamari Sketch. There's something to look forward to every week. It makes life worth living.
Oct 13, 2012 6:41 AM

Jul 2011
Hmm.. Well, for me, Hidamari Sketch is an anime that inspires an artist wanna be like me. The art style, the story, everything on it is all about art. Other than it earns so much money, I think thats another reason why it has another season. Considering the fact that theirs so many artist in Japan, I think many people can relate to it. Thats my opinion..^_^
Dec 13, 2012 1:08 PM

Nov 2007
Because it's the only Shaft production where their crazy style is actually interesting and adds to the show instead of giving me a headache.

Also cause it's zen and fun, and because it doesn't have a story with a fixed timeline it lasts longer (as in, because there's no plot or timeline to advance, you don't need to have an ending in sight, unlike in shows where it would be anticlimatic for the MCs not to graduate/move on.
Dec 14, 2012 2:29 AM
Dec 2009
It's Shaft that sells well and there all funny in there own way's.
Shuck Face / Slinthead!
Jan 27, 2013 1:08 AM

Jul 2009
i gave natsume and all of its seasons 7 or 8. mostly 7s i think. it's 'good', but that's it for me.

hidamari got 7s,8s and a 9. so, i like hidamari more; thus, i can see what it has 4 seasons.
Feb 18, 2013 2:19 AM
Oct 2010
Why 4 seasons? A good question indeed... why the f**k does this show have only 4 seasons? I want a season per day for the rest of my life.

The mahou shoujo version was cool too.
-Iwasawa-Feb 18, 2013 2:43 AM
Mar 3, 2013 6:31 PM

Jul 2010
makoa69 said:

5th season was just announced. Not that I hate Natsume, I just want to say...

EAT IT NATSUME YUUJINCHOU :P
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Mar 3, 2013 6:47 PM

Nov 2010
zansabarshadow said:
makoa69 said:

Natsume will get a 5th one of these days.
Mar 3, 2013 6:50 PM
Nov 2010
IntroverTurtle said:
zansabarshadow said:
makoa69 said:

By that time Hidamari will get its 7th season
Mar 3, 2013 6:50 PM

Nov 2010
Z-flame said:
IntroverTurtle said:
zansabarshadow said:
makoa69 said:

By that time Hidamari will get its 7th season
No NO NO Shut up, just shut up. You can't see the future mannnn. I hope Yuno dies in a fire, yeah that caterpillar got it's revenge.
Mar 3, 2013 7:07 PM
Sep 2012
^ What the fuck are you talking about? Yuno is the last yokai in the book of friends. Natsume will never release her name but will get married instead. Madara will marry Miyako. But the two couples will secretly cheat in order to satisfy their yuri/yaoi fetishes.
Aug 28, 2016 10:06 PM
Aug 2008
But is it really a 5th season or "just" 2 episodes focused on graduation things that we're talking about?

I watch on DVD, so twiddling my thumbs waiting would get really boring. There's rewatching HS, there are other anime to watch, things to watch other than anime, and even other things to do. (Contributing strips to Square Root of Minus Garfield, for one thing.)
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Aug 28, 2016 10:14 PM

Jul 2016
It prints good money.
Aug 28, 2016 10:15 PM
Jan 2013
RIP Matsuri never gon be animated
gone bai bai
Oct 13, 2016 5:49 AM
Aug 2008
Mmm... I was hoping that the anime would end with Yuno & Miyako's graduation instead of Sae & Hiro's... but it seems like between the graduation arc and the almost-year-ago death of Yoshinoya's seiyuu -- yeah, she has like five replacements and Kana Asumi (Yuno) is one of them, though having her pull double duty could be rough, depending on the episode -- I can understand if they stop the anime where it is.
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb Episode 6 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - Nov 8, 2012

35 by Dealka97 »»
Apr 18, 2023 5:49 AM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb Episode 3 Discussion

Panaru - Oct 19, 2012

34 by Dealka97 »»
Apr 17, 2023 9:18 AM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb Episode 12 Discussion

MikuLove39 - Dec 21, 2012

32 by Ashhk »»
Feb 28, 2023 4:14 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb Episode 11 Discussion

bippo - Dec 13, 2012

28 by Ashhk »»
Feb 28, 2023 3:44 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb Episode 10 Discussion

bippo - Dec 6, 2012

19 by Ashhk »»
Feb 28, 2023 4:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.