SleepingEntity said:

Oct 10, 2012 4:46 PM
Dec 2007
ClannadIsLove said:
SleepingEntity said:

Oct 10, 2012 7:16 PM

Jun 2012
Leon-Gun said:
And it certainly is more of an explanation than what we ever get in Kanon for Shiori's cure (for example).

='( I'm about to watch that show....
Oct 10, 2012 7:47 PM

May 2012
I thought the first episode did really well following the VN. The only issue I have so far is Riki's voice. I know it sounds the same as it was in the VN, but still, I don't like it when a male character sounds like a little girl.

I won't let that bother me to much though since I really want to see the entire story in anime format! :D

Oct 10, 2012 8:35 PM
Dec 2007
ClannadIsLove said:
Leon-Gun said:
And it certainly is more of an explanation than what we ever get in Kanon for Shiori's cure (for example).

='( I'm about to watch that show....Sorry for the slight spoiler. But yeah, Kanon is the biggest offender in no explanations "Key Magic". All the others have "somewhat" explanations. Although Kanon does try to get away with it by saying the town is a "town of miracles".

Oct 10, 2012 8:57 PM
Sep 2012
Hey guys just wondering about this anime compared to Clannad. I had a very hard time with Clannad:After Story because of
. Is this anime
Oct 10, 2012 9:53 PM
Dec 2007
Floross said:
Hey guys just wondering about this anime compared to Clannad. I had a very hard time with Clannad:After Story because of
. Is this anime
So hard to say this without completely spoiling a lot. Anyway yeah it has a happy end. And the main Heroine is Rin, just a heads up since it's kinda hard to tell, what with her not exactly being like the other key heroines.

Anyway, yeah it does have multiple character routes but it's not like Kanon where you basically have one guy and different girls having a tug of war for him. If anything, I'd expect it to go the way Clannad go, with the focus being the main heroine in terms of romance although romance isn't actually a huge part of LB when you compare it to previous Key works.

Oct 11, 2012 7:52 PM

Sep 2012
Floross said:
. Is this anime

Don't open this if you haven't watched Clannad, in case anyone hasn't.
Oct 11, 2012 9:21 PM

Jun 2012
SleepingEntity said:
Don't open this if you haven't watched Clannad, in case anyone hasn't.

I've been thinking about it for a while. I think you all are wrong on why it's "better." I honestly think that the ENTIRE reason Little Busters! is seen as better by most people is that they can relate to it MUCH more easily than they can Tomoya and everything he went through. He helped people, he saw death and suffering and many other things but Little Busters! is closer to everyone because anyone and everyone can relate to it with it's central theme of friendship.

My favorite scene of Clannad is where

But that's ONE scene. Little Busters! is throughout the whole show. Just seeing them play baseball every day or make jokes about Masato all the way to the kick-the-can game that they play it symbolizes good friends having a good time and enjoying life together. It's something we all can relate to. I never really had friends and I could still relate to it.

Then to see

And again, WE CAN RELATE TO THAT much more easily than

So I think that Clannad is better in how it's written but Little Busters! is much more enjoyable because we can relate to it much more easily.
Oct 11, 2012 10:17 PM
Dec 2007
^Eh, we can't be wrong about our personal reasons for thinking it's better. Anyway, you are correct it does feel more personal because friendship and growing up is something relatable to everyone. Not everyone can relate to having problems with your parents, or having family with medical conditions and so on.

And I think Maeda is not very good at writing relationships with fathers (he himself admits he has a hard time writing father figures hence why Clannad is the only one who actually ever showed dads). Personally I always thought Tomoya was a bit of a douche in the way he interacts with his father, rejecting even the slightest approach from his hesitant father.

Oct 12, 2012 4:29 AM

Jun 2012
Leon-Gun said:
^Eh, we can't be wrong about our personal reasons for thinking it's better. Anyway, you are correct it does feel more personal because friendship and growing up is something relatable to everyone. Not everyone can relate to having problems with your parents, or having family with medical conditions and so on.

And I think Maeda is not very good at writing relationships with fathers (he himself admits he has a hard time writing father figures hence why Clannad is the only one who actually ever showed dads). Personally I always thought Tomoya was a bit of a douche in the way he interacts with his father, rejecting even the slightest approach from his hesitant father.

I just feel like people might be misunderstanding why they like it so much. I think Clannad was written better. Not to say Little Busters! is bad, but Clannad has more themes and is longer. It just helped more. I felt that my reasons were more applicable to everyone. But if you read that and still disagree then to each his own, I guess.

So he says he's not very good at writing father/son relationships? I like how his terrible writing skills lead up to the greatest episode of the entire series lol. I haven't seen Clannad in a while so I forget why Tomoya was so mean but I've been there with my dad and sometimes still am (albeit much more subtly than I used to be). I know it's wrong and I feel bad about it but I just never bought myself to apologizing. That's why I like that scene so much.

A few years ago I had a teacher in college (Cinema Appreciation class) who said that everything we see at the movies and such (that we like) we see because it fulfills a need inside us. One we may not be aware of or understand (e.x. What the f--- do horror fans get out of horror films?) but nonetheless it fills up some sort of need. I think that scene fulfilled in a sense my need to apologize to my dad. It didn't actually do it, but I saw what I needed to do and probably will one day in the future when I move out after college.

Sorry for the personal stuff, but we got to talking about Clannad. Can't help talking about emotions or feelings (or "feels" as I've seen lately) when you talk about it.
Oct 12, 2012 1:41 PM
Dec 2007
ClannadIsLove said:
Leon-Gun said:

I just feel like people might be misunderstanding why they like it so much. I think Clannad was written better. Not to say Little Busters! is bad, but Clannad has more themes and is longer. It just helped more. I felt that my reasons were more applicable to everyone. But if you read that and still disagree then to each his own, I guess.

So he says he's not very good at writing father/son relationships? I like how his terrible writing skills lead up to the greatest episode of the entire series lol. I haven't seen Clannad in a while so I forget why Tomoya was so mean but I've been there with my dad and sometimes still am (albeit much more subtly than I used to be). I know it's wrong and I feel bad about it but I just never bought myself to apologizing. That's why I like that scene so much.

A few years ago I had a teacher in college (Cinema Appreciation class) who said that everything we see at the movies and such (that we like) we see because it fulfills a need inside us. One we may not be aware of or understand (e.x. What the f--- do horror fans get out of horror films?) but nonetheless it fills up some sort of need. I think that scene fulfilled in a sense my need to apologize to my dad. It didn't actually do it, but I saw what I needed to do and probably will one day in the future when I move out after college.

Sorry for the personal stuff, but we got to talking about Clannad. Can't help talking about emotions or feelings (or "feels" as I've seen lately) when you talk about it.
Nah it's okay. Anyway yeah, it was his explanation as to why he only ever adds mother figures in big supporting roles. Even Little Busters, which was produced afterwards, only had the 2 fathers thing and the grandfather, 2 of which were pretty piss poor attempts at being fathers to begin with. Clannad broke this trend because it was about family, and you can't write about families witout having well rounded fathers as well as well rounded mothers.

Anyway, I wouldn't go into if or why Clannad is better since that very much enters into which story touches you most, but Clannad was indeed the story Maeda got most engrossed in, to the point he was forced to stop writing because the project got huge. You could say he considers Clannad his peak, and Little Busters was the project where he used what was last of his ideas (at the time). He even refused to write Angel Beats the first time he was approached, because he beieved that he had run out of stories to write.

I'll say this though, while Clannad has some very good stories and the overall theme can be very engaging and touching, there's some stories that are just horrible. I still can't get over how mean-spirited the SUnohara siblings' climax was (seriously, she's a grade schooler, you can kill a kid that age with hits that strong and Tomoya wasn't helping much at all). And the Kyou route... god, that route was crap and only served to portray both Tomoya as spineless and Ryou as a very jealous sister.

Oct 12, 2012 2:01 PM

Nov 2007
Too lazy to read through most of the stuff,, but expectation is probably mostly based on past Key works (which was how it is when the VN itself released as well).

In regards to why the beginning of the series is mostly slice of life and comedy, I believe this Nakige tag definition offers a pretty good explanation: http://vndb.org/g596

Personally, I liked Clannad the VN better overall, but some of the comedy was better in LBEX, and the two also moves you in a different way, with LBEX focusing more on friendship and Clannad over family. Many people disregard Key works as being nearly identical due to the formulatic approach to nakige, but I think it's due to differences like this that makes the formula work for me and many others.
Oct 12, 2012 10:02 PM

Jun 2012
Leon-Gun said:
Nah it's okay. Anyway yeah, it was his explanation as to why he only ever adds mother figures in big supporting roles. Even Little Busters, which was produced afterwards, only had the 2 fathers thing and the grandfather, 2 of which were pretty piss poor attempts at being fathers to begin with. Clannad broke this trend because it was about family, and you can't write about families witout having well rounded fathers as well as well rounded mothers.

Anyway, I wouldn't go into if or why Clannad is better since that very much enters into which story touches you most, but Clannad was indeed the story Maeda got most engrossed in, to the point he was forced to stop writing because the project got huge. You could say he considers Clannad his peak, and Little Busters was the project where he used what was last of his ideas (at the time). He even refused to write Angel Beats the first time he was approached, because he beieved that he had run out of stories to write.

I'll say this though, while Clannad has some very good stories and the overall theme can be very engaging and touching, there's some stories that are just horrible. I still can't get over how mean-spirited the SUnohara siblings' climax was (seriously, she's a grade schooler, you can kill a kid that age with hits that strong and Tomoya wasn't helping much at all). And the Kyou route... god, that route was crap and only served to portray both Tomoya as spineless and Ryou as a very jealous sister.

You sound like you've played the Clannad VN, something I have yet to do. I started it in January 2011 but even now I still haven't even met Fuko x-x As for Clannad, he said he got over a writing wall he'd never be able to get over again but yet... He considers Little Busters! to be better than Clannad which would pretty much mean his best work ever.

So tell me more about the VN. How different is it from the show?
Oct 12, 2012 10:28 PM
Dec 2007
ClannadIsLove said:
Leon-Gun said:

You sound like you've played the Clannad VN, something I have yet to do. I started it in January 2011 but even now I still haven't even met Fuko x-x As for Clannad, he said he got over a writing wall he'd never be able to get over again but yet... He considers Little Busters! to be better than Clannad which would pretty much mean his best work ever.

So tell me more about the VN. How different is it from the show?
Besides being a little more clear about the Orbs of Happiness and the imaginary world where the girl and the robot lived (and how they tie into the end) Kyoto Animation did fine animating everything important for the Nagisa route, as well as many other routes in fact. In fact, KyoAni managed to make Tomoya much nicer than his VN counterpart which helps a little as the VN's Tomoya was a little more of an asshole at times.

The main difference lies in the routes they were unable to show properly, mainly Kyou's route and Tomoyo's route, both of which were pretty rushed in the Specials they managed to shove into BD's. Honestly though while Tomoyo's route was at least a nice little romance story, the Kyou route was hard to go through and not because it was badly written, but because the subject matter was not very nice (love triangles are bad enough, but the reasons behind said love triangle make it worse). Only route I hated more was Sunohara Mei's, because I dislike bullying, even fictional one.

Yukine's route was also slightly altered to the point it ended up being about gang wars, which was mind bogling if you go into the VN's actual content.

Anyway, aside from that shift in tone in some routes and one route which was taken out completely (Kappei... which is a guy btw and no, it's not about guy/guy relationships or anything) I think most everything important was added. Just some details here and there were taken out and a lot of jokes and silly scenes couldn't fit in. But all in all the adaptation was mostly loyal.

Oct 12, 2012 11:16 PM

Oct 2010
- Hype from fans who've played the VN
- Hype from fans who expects this to be on the same par with Clannad AS.
- Hype from Key fans in general
- Hype from Harem/Echhi genre fans.

SO yeah, there's many expectations on this anime.

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Oct 13, 2012 1:29 AM

Dec 2011
wishbook said:
- Hype from fans who've played the VN
- Hype from fans who expects this to be on the same par with Clannad AS.
- Hype from Key fans in general
- Hype from Harem/Echhi genre fans.

SO yeah, there's many expectations on this anime.

Harem/Echhi.... Well there are not many echhi scenes, perhaps two can be added, can't remember much of the others... Harem? Well this is far from typical harem... You are never alone with all of the girls, they don't fight over you, once you start with one it's only that one, during the common route everyone is together, they are all friends...

As for the discussion above, about which is better...

Clannad <3 Hehehehe... What can I say, Tomoya's and my personalities are quite similar, I went through similar things in my life, I am bored with the ordinary life, I spend only abut 1 or 2 months with my father during a whole year (not that we hate each other, he is working in another town)... Plus we have same taste in women xD Anyway somehow I managed to understand what happened to Tomoya, although the events of LB are way closer to what happened to me in my real life (now that I think about it, my life is not boring, it's just crazy, one friend died in car accident, second got injured badly (two girls, two different accidents)), I had my own problems, including mental problems (just depression, nothing else) and that's why I am somehow disappointed that in this world of opportunities I don't get to do anything special and even worse is that I witnessed how short life can be for some people and how some goals can never be reached (that's why I am going to reach mine or die trying). That's why I connected to the plot of Clannad. I had to grow up sooner than I wanted... And I am only 18 T.T I guess anime and VN's are the way for me to regain at least a part of my childhood :)
To me that's why Clannad is better. Although LB showed how short life can be even better (but death of a certain child in Clannad was better o 3 o). That hospital scene... No it's not enough xD
Oct 13, 2012 5:56 PM

Jun 2012
I cant believe people are already rating this after two episodes.
Oct 13, 2012 10:44 PM

Jun 2012
Shuhan said:

Just rate them as not helpful and report them. Honestly I think we'll need to hit episode 15 or 16 before we can start making honest reviews. JC Staff usually screws up around halfway through. If we wanted to be certain we could just wait until the final episode airs.

Hell, I don't know why they don't do that in the first place.
Oct 14, 2012 1:04 PM
Dec 2007
Denshiku said:
ClannadIsLove said:
Shuhan said:

Honestly I think we'll need to hit episode 15 or 16 before we can start making honest reviews.

How is that an honest review? It's incomplete, therefore not helpful at all. I've played trhough all routes plus EX routes and I won't rate the anime until I'm done with the last episode. I mean you're rating the entire show not just half of it.
It's a long season and rating after half a season at least gives an accurate portrayal of how the series ussually shape up (in normal cases). I mean, you can't expect someone that hates something to stick around for the full 26 episodes and if only those who liked it stick around for the full thing and only those who saw it entirely can rate it, then we'd have a bunch of high schores and no counter arguments to balance it out.

I know some of you hate the idea of people hating on a show you like (even I kinda don't like it), but reviews are subjective and are an opinion of the person who saw the show. Not everyone will like the show. A reviewer who dropped the show after half a season, for example, at least gave the show a shot before calling it quits and bashing on it. Someone who's already rating after 2 episodes isn't even giving the show a chance to prove it's worth, and this goes for both the people who give it bad reviews at 1-2 episodes or good reviews at said amount of episodes.
Leon-GunOct 14, 2012 1:10 PM

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

307 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Mar 1, 7:40 PM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2013

200 by little_raven »»
Feb 24, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2013

167 by little_raven »»
Feb 21, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2013

288 by little_raven »»
Feb 21, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Little Busters! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Funya-Usagi - Jan 5, 2013

185 by little_raven »»
Feb 20, 10:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.