Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 5, 2012 2:09 PM

Sep 2012
Hey guys, so I've heard that Berserk was really cool, so I thought that I'd give it a shot. The thing is though, I personally enjoy watching the anime more then I do reading the manga (I still enjoy reading manga though and have no problem with it), I am aware that the anime is complete and and that the manga is still ongoing, so what I was planning on doing, just like I did with many other animes was finishing the anime and then continuing where I left off with the manga. I just wanted to know if there were any major differences that between the manga and the anime adaptation, and whether or not I should just start the manga from the beginning once im done with the anime (assuming I enjoyed the anime), or if I just continued the manga from where the anime left off without really missing any key point to the story? Thanks in advance!
"If you can't even protect your captain, then your ambition is useless" - Roronoa Zoro
Oct 5, 2012 2:27 PM

Dec 2011
The anime is complete only in the sense that it ends. In fabulous despair.

Read the manga from the beginning, then skip the chapters covered by the anime, then continue.
Oct 5, 2012 4:14 PM
Jul 2012
Well there's a part before the flashback that introduced a few key elements like the behelit and Puck.

Otherwise there's a specific chapter in the eclipse that the author removed from the volumes and can possibly be retconned. It's upto you wether you want to see it or not.
Oct 5, 2012 5:44 PM

Feb 2005
Nah, I think the anime drops some things from the manga in the beginning, like Puck at least.
Oct 5, 2012 6:17 PM

Mar 2009
Start from the very first chapter. It's totally worth it despite the earlier material already being covered in the anime.
Oct 5, 2012 6:19 PM

Nov 2011
I think you should start from the beginning. The anime does stay true with the manga but yeah they do drop some key things. Like Puck, who may not seem like it but plays a pretty big role in Berserk.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Oct 5, 2012 8:45 PM

Apr 2007
I personally watched the anime first and I loved it.

It's also the first anime that made me feel that I HAD to read the manga as well.
Too lazy. Maybe later.
Oct 5, 2012 8:57 PM

Oct 2011
Bombastuss said:
It's also the first anime that made me feel that I HAD to read the manga as well.

With an ending like that,who wouldn't want to go read the manga?
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Oct 5, 2012 9:00 PM

Aug 2012
Personally I don't really like reading manga. I found the Berserk anime to be very enjoyable despite the strange place it ends.
Oct 5, 2012 9:03 PM

Apr 2007
Jeddy017 said:

Haha, true enough. Man, that ending was evil in so many ways.

Aarosmashguy said:
Personally I don't really like reading manga. I found the Berserk anime to be very enjoyable despite the strange place it ends.

"Strange" is putting it a bit lightly.

Also, I recently rewatched the anime and it still holds up. Just as great as I remembered.
Too lazy. Maybe later.
Oct 6, 2012 7:07 AM

Nov 2010
The anime cut out the plot critical character of The Skull Knight and a really cool extra apostle fight.So there's no need to really reread all of the Golden Age arc but start around the time of Griffith's imprisonment and read from there. Just so you won't be lost when the Skull Knight shows up later. For the same reason you should read the first part the before the flashback that the anime didn't cover as Puck,a fairly important character,is introduced and comes in again right after where the anime ended.
Oct 6, 2012 12:33 PM
Dec 2010
no no no you mustn't do that. I am like you, I enjoy anime a lot more than I enjoy manga so obviously I started with the anime. and after that special ending I just had to know what happens next.
now the thing is that in the anime you get the golden age arc covered. but in the manga there are whole chapters before that part. if you start the manga from the beginning you will get to see a more bad ass guts. since the golden age arc presents guts' past, when he wasn't all about slaughtering and revenge. in the manga you get to see a main character that is fueled by hatred in the first arc.
Oct 6, 2012 12:46 PM

Oct 2008
eternalx said:
no no no you mustn't do that. I am like you, I enjoy anime a lot more than I enjoy manga so obviously I started with the anime. and after that special ending I just had to know what happens next.
now the thing is that in the anime you get the golden age arc covered. but in the manga there are whole chapters before that part. if you start the manga from the beginning you will get to see a more bad ass guts. since the golden age arc presents guts' past, when he wasn't all about slaughtering and revenge. in the manga you get to see a main character that is fueled by hatred in the first arc.

^this
Also I would recommend you read the whole thing and don't skip anything because the anime doesn't even cover the golden age arc properly. It skips on a lot of stuff including something that is necessary for you to understand how the manga can actually continue from the point where the anime ends.
In other words, if you skip the manga to the point where the anime ended, you won't understand what's going on (yes, it's that important).
So if you wanna read the manga, don't skip a thing..
HatulOct 6, 2012 12:49 PM
Oct 6, 2012 12:47 PM

Nov 2008
Jeddy017 said:
Bombastuss said:

I wanted to. Not anymore. If it were finished or were planned, with an ending in sight, I would be all over it, but it sounds like the author is just stretching it out for as long as he can. Pity.

Oct 6, 2012 12:49 PM

Feb 2012
Listen guy, I'll end this unnecessary discussion right now:

You shouldn't need to think twice about reading the greatest dark novel of all time.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.
Oct 6, 2012 12:52 PM

Jul 2012
HATUL300 said:
eternalx said:

^this

I agree, although I am only half through the existing manga, i know that there are important parts in the manga that aren't covered in the anime. they really flesh out some of Guts story
Also I would recommend you read the whole thing and don't skip anything because the anime doesn't even cover the golden age arc properly. It skips on a lot of stuff including something that is necessary for you to understand how the manga can actually continue from the point where the anime ends.
In other words, if you skip the manga to the point where the anime ended, you won't understand what's going on.

I agree, although I am only half through the existing manga, i know that there are important parts in the manga that aren't covered in the anime. they really flesh out some of Guts story, in important ways.

I too felt i had to read the manga of the anime for the first time in my life. there was no choice, i needed more. I watched the anime 3x but knew the whole story was massive and had to read it.
Oct 6, 2012 12:54 PM

Jul 2012
since we're already talking about this in the wrong forum, i thought i would add this: I Can't Freaking Wait For the First FILM!!!!! shits on pre-order, i'm salivating.
Oct 7, 2012 5:09 AM

Jun 2010
The anime starts different that the manga. I also recommend the manga, it is much better, plus great artwork.

Now, the thing is if you can read 300+ chapters...
Oct 7, 2012 8:14 AM

Sep 2012
it's berserk. read the manga from start to finis...err..chapter 330.

Like you, I watched the anime first and then read the manga. You will miss out on a shitton if you start off where the end of the Golden Age leaves off. Seriously, it's Berserk, read it from chapter 1, you'll be glad you did.
Oct 7, 2012 11:26 AM

Sep 2012
deathxempress said:

Now, the thing is if you can read 300+ chapters...

Considering that I follow the mangas of Naruto, One piece, fairy tail, and HSD kenichi; 300+ chapters shouldn't be a problem xD
"If you can't even protect your captain, then your ambition is useless" - Roronoa Zoro
Oct 8, 2012 6:44 PM

Jun 2010
deathxempress said:

Considering that I follow the mangas of Naruto, One piece, fairy tail, and HSD kenichi; 300+ chapters shouldn't be a problem xD

I think I found a rival...
May 11, 2015 6:30 AM

Oct 2013
This old ass thread was very helpful lol Information I already knew but I still didn't wanna read everything I had already seen. Guess I have to now.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Mar 5, 2018 10:00 AM
Jul 2017
the manga is a 10 the anime is a 9

but the seocnd seaosn of the anime (berserk 2016)
is shit

More topics from this board

Poll: » Artstyle is not everything, story matters!!! ( 1 2 )

CoffeewithEdgawa - Apr 7

80 by BakLol »»
Today, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 14 Discussion

Rasco - Sep 24, 2010

32 by MrGutz »»
Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kage-bunshin - Aug 30, 2009

60 by life_is_cringe »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 9 Discussion

DreamTheater2112 - May 21, 2009

49 by MrGutz »»
Apr 20, 9:39 PM

Poll: » Berserk Chapter 110 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Nov 6, 2011

23 by Rhaelynne »»
Apr 18, 10:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.