Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 7, 2012 11:39 PM

Sep 2012
Bio said:

Yeah, I think it's reasonable enough for them to give up mention of it after a full month. They're in a busy time of their lives and we only get a few scenes to share with them. To get no reaction at that point doesn't tell me much about their characters. The end of episode one was the disappearance of Reiko stated by the narrator then the credits, so I don't know what there is to see there.

When the anime chose to show the kids going on their normal lives at the end of ep.1 while the narrator said Reiko disappeared and then in ep.2 did not bring up Reiko at all before or after that "one month passed" skip, I took it to indicate that the kids did not have any concern or awareness about her disappearance.
symbvOct 8, 2012 1:29 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 8, 2012 1:02 AM

Feb 2012
Good episode :D Story is kinda all over the place though~

Dunno why... but I feel like giving this series a 10 o_o
I can't explain it either why...maybe because it had me on the edge of my seat? Oh well~ looking forward to how this story progresses :D
Oct 8, 2012 2:35 AM

Aug 2010
Been some time since I felt an episode fly by so fast, when the ED started playing I actually said a "no!" out loud and checked the player. I thought they put it in the middle or something. The setting is really interesting, I wonder what those creatures are? Degenerated humans maybe? Some of the words they uttered sounded like partial Japanese words.

How could that not have been on purpose? Seriously, the guy just crashed into the pusher, there is no way it can be considered an accident. I also don't like the freshly introduced narrator. 5/5 still, lovely episode. Can't wait for more.
Oct 8, 2012 3:35 AM
Jun 2012
I don't know if someone else has mentioned this, but I'll say it any way.
the disappearing children are the ones who gets their names stamped.

GrimReaper-75Oct 8, 2012 3:39 AM
Oct 8, 2012 7:20 AM

Aug 2009
Definitely not as good and thrilling as the first episode. I still have high hopes for this though.
Oct 8, 2012 7:37 AM

Nov 2011
joshua_mai said:
Just found this, I don't know what to say.

This is one of the reasons I'm anticipating this show so much.
The Art of Eight
Oct 8, 2012 8:52 AM

Jul 2012
This show is getting really good. The last line was really obscure. I need more episodes right now D:

Oct 8, 2012 1:10 PM

Oct 2010
joshua_mai said:
It's big joke most likely.

A 30 years work does no need for such.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Oct 8, 2012 5:06 PM

May 2008
Waaah, I can't believe their classmates are disappearing and they don't even care.

But I get the feeling that they're trying so hard in their classes/games and such is because if they end up being found of lacking something, they'll disappear, too. That's one extreme way to make sure kids pay attention in class, haha.
Oct 8, 2012 5:42 PM

Nov 2011
tsubasalover said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So there's really no OP?

I think that the setting of learning of the magical power of the world is interesting, but not sure the meaning / purpose of the whole series.

eh? i thought first ep had op....and the same song that i thought was the op ran while they told teh story of the demon boy at the beginning, seemed like they just needed that screentime for something else and they just put that song on background. Not to mention it's a great song
Oct 8, 2012 8:33 PM

Sep 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
joshua_mai said:

In the world of the novel, promiscuity and sex between same gender is not seen as problematic.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 8, 2012 10:34 PM

Oct 2010
symbv said:
Yumekichi11 said:
joshua_mai said:

In the world of the novel, promiscuity and sex between same gender is not seen as problematic.
Thing is your info is from the manga not Novel itself.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Oct 8, 2012 10:40 PM

Sep 2012
Yumekichi11 said:
symbv said:
Yumekichi11 said:
joshua_mai said:

You read the novel? ARE YOU REALLY SURE???
Or you just assume that it is not in the novel? If you do not really know, please do not act as if you really know.
symbvOct 8, 2012 10:57 PM

Oct 8, 2012 11:18 PM

Aug 2012
I'm so happy with the sex/crush graph.
Oct 8, 2012 11:18 PM

Aug 2012
Where. Can. I. Read. The. Novel.
Oct 9, 2012 5:02 AM

Jul 2011
Posse said:
And once again, the first two minutes made me go WTF

this
Oct 9, 2012 6:05 AM

Sep 2011
joshua_mai said:

Sex..? Meaning they've done it? or want too?

This Graph is fucked up.
Oct 9, 2012 6:41 AM

Sep 2012
Tyrel said:

Sex..? Meaning they've done it? or want too?

The relation in the pic is what it looks like in the novel. Not sure if the anime is going to show it or to what extent it will show it though.

Oct 9, 2012 6:43 AM

Jul 2011
joshua_mai said:

I hope that gay arrow is wrong
Oct 9, 2012 6:54 AM

Sep 2011
aiNkyy said:
joshua_mai said:

I hope that gay arrow is wrong

I do too, I'm not against it totally, but I just don't watch shows with Yaoi. Also I find it funny how they make the boy who tries to look "Cool" gay.
Oct 9, 2012 9:29 AM

Oct 2011
The ending song is very catchy. Hope this is the official ending theme scenes for the ending.
Oct 9, 2012 10:43 AM

Aug 2011
symbv said:
Yumekichi11 said:
symbv said:
Yumekichi11 said:
joshua_mai said:
Or you just assume that it is not in the novel? If you do not really know, please do not act as if you really know.
The manga is ecchi yuri parody trash.

http://seventhstyle.com/2012/10/05/shinsekai-yori-manga-mocks-the-anime/

The anime is based on the novel--not the shitty manga that for some reason gets away with having the same name.

Please do not act as if you really know.
Oct 9, 2012 11:05 AM

Sep 2012
DraconisMarch said:
symbv said:
Yumekichi11 said:
symbv said:
Yumekichi11 said:
joshua_mai said:
The manga is ecchi yuri parody trash.

The anime is based on the novel--not the shitty manga that for some reason gets away with having the same name.

The manga definitely departs from the novel in terms of mood and focus, not to say the story is not really coming from the novel itself. YET the novel indeed shows the relationship as depicted in the pic in the spoiler, and the world in the novel allows promiscuity and same-gender sex is not viewed as problematic at all. The main question is how far the anime will go to portray those sex scenes, heterosexual and homosexual, in the novel.

Oct 9, 2012 12:19 PM

Jul 2011
Best anime this season!!!!! (yet...)

the music, art, atmosphere, mystery, plot, characters, everything is intriguing!!!

and that line, "The first hundred to stop clapping shall be the sacrifices for this ceremony", OH MY GOD that is sooo creepy yet clever!!!! kyaaaaaaaaaaa <3

There is something suspicious about Saki's father (in a good way),seems like he did not agree with the system and secretly plotting on rebelling to the authority? nice...
Oct 9, 2012 2:42 PM

Jun 2010
DraconisMarch said:

Didn't expect that. So, shoujo-ai is cannon in the novel, too...?

Anyway, I preferred the first episode over the second. The series has some complicated moments, anyway.
Oct 9, 2012 3:58 PM

Mar 2010
Okay so am I the only one pissed that the anime summery pretty much gave away the whole plot? The first 2 episodes tell us nothing of it and I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn't known what this was all leading up to. FUCK i hate it when summaries are spoilers in disguise D:<
Oct 9, 2012 5:12 PM

Aug 2012
I'm so happy with that pic because it just make it more interesting and adds another dimension to the characters
Oct 9, 2012 5:57 PM

Mar 2008
Hopefully the next episode is better, this one was a bit slack compared to the first.
Oct 9, 2012 6:02 PM

May 2010
I really like this show. It has an ominous feeling, and I really like the kind of jumpy storytelling where the scenes are mostly short and disconnected they're using here. Also the air of conspiracy - as someone mentioned the stories they read aloud are clearly a kind of propaganda to scare the kids into obedience and conformity.

Kinda bummed though that they're revealing the history of the world so soon and in such a blatant way. Sure many questions remain unanswered (it's episode 2 after all) but the show could've benefited from a more mysterious approach to it's world. The different creatures however are presented well and clearly some important things about them will be learned later, they're nicely designed too and from the preview it looks like we'll be seeing a really strange one next episode.

Also, the theory that monster rats = descendants of non-psychics seems true to me. I don't think it can be confirmed yet but it does seem very likely. 1000 years ago psychics were just appearing and 500 years ago the people had a psychic for an emperor, but at the present moment of the show all people seem to be able to use the power. Of course there could be other explanations, but the rats were introduced so early too, seems obvious they have a role in the story. We'll see.

I'll definitely be watching this, but i hope it stops being too obvious and still has some big questions to bring into the story.
Oct 9, 2012 6:16 PM

Aug 2008
joshua_mai said:

Seriously? Aren't they only 14 after the timeskip....? But what? yaoi...

EDIT: I was so curious that I went to rewatch the trailers, yeah, I think they will animated part of those scenes...

KuriniOct 9, 2012 6:47 PM
Oct 9, 2012 6:28 PM

Jan 2012
Am I the only one who thinks the ending is trying to tell us what will happen with the characters? I think the woman in the end is an older Saki and I think her friends might die becuase she is crying too.

If only we knew who hands she was holding at the end.
Oct 9, 2012 6:35 PM

Aug 2008
kaykenner54 said:
Am I the only one who thinks the ending is trying to tell us what will happen with the characters? I think the woman in the end is an older Saki and I think her friends might die becuase she is crying too.

You might be right :O
There were 3 people that vanished on the lake, and one left at the end who hold her hand, that makes 5 :O
Oct 9, 2012 6:54 PM

Jan 2012
Kurini said:
kaykenner54 said:

You might be right :O
There were 3 people that vanished on the lake, and one left at the end who hold her hand, that makes 5 :O

yeah, if only we knew for sure though. Now that I think about it, Saki might be holding Shun's hand. She does have a crush on him ( or at least it seemed that way in ep. 2).

I wish someone would translate the novels for us. :(
kaykenner54Oct 9, 2012 6:57 PM
Oct 9, 2012 6:57 PM

Aug 2008
kaykenner54 said:

It sucks not knowing anything. I wish someone would translate the novels for us. :(

I heard a volume of the novel has something like 1000 pages... Well, they might be kidding but I bet it's really a LONG story.
Oct 9, 2012 7:00 PM

Jan 2012
Kurini said:
kaykenner54 said:

It sucks not knowing anything. I wish someone would translate the novels for us. :(

I heard a volume of the novel has something like 1000 pages... Well, they might be kidding but I bet it's really a LONG story.

The thing is I like the anime so much that I would be willing to read 1000 pages. I just hope the anime covers it all and doesn't rush through it.
Oct 9, 2012 9:06 PM
Jul 2018
Can't say I care much about the spoilers posted. I doubt they'd animate too much of it anyway with it being made for tv and all.

kaykenner54 said:

Well yeah. She does use "I" and "our" a few times while narrating this episode; a bit of a tip-off there. I kind of wish she'd stop, though. It breaks the atmosphere and doesn't seem to be telling us anything we wouldn't find out that we need to know at the moment. It mostly seems to be for shock value with the endings and to make sure people inferred something from certain scenes that was already heavily implied.

Otherwise, eh. I liked the first five minutes or so of the episode, but the rest was just alright. The whole ball-rolling tournament wasn't terribly interesting and spent a good part of the episode just to remind us that rule-breakers aren't tolerated in the new society.

The atmosphere and world-building have been the highlights of the show so far. I'm interested in what the rats are along with the cat-monster and if all of them might've been rule-breakers or failures as well or something different. The show's definitely a slow-burn type of deal, but it's good at what it does and should be interesting when it finally shows its hand.
Oct 9, 2012 9:54 PM

Sep 2012
deathxempress said:

Didn't expect that. So, shoujo-ai is cannon in the novel, too...?

Yuri (girl x girl)
Yaoi (boy x boy)
and the common sort (boy x girl)
are all present in the novel. And some scenes have really explicit depiction too.

Kurini said:

Seriously? Aren't they only 14 after the timeskip....? But what? yaoi...

What you have seen so far (ep.1&2) took place all when they were 12. The story will jump to when they are 14 only after the summer camp and the adventure there is done. The scene you saw in the trailer happened when they were 12, IIRC.

Oct 9, 2012 10:00 PM

Sep 2012
Kurini said:

No...
The novel is divided into 3 volumes, and each has around 500 pages. The breakdown goes like this
Vol.1 488pp
Vol.2 448pp
Vol.3 488pp

It is a long adventure indeed, but it is not true that one volume of the novel has 1000 pages.

Oct 9, 2012 10:09 PM

Sep 2012
memeki said:

Well yeah. She does use "I" and "our" a few times while narrating this episode; a bit of a tip-off there. I kind of wish she'd stop, though. It breaks the atmosphere and doesn't seem to be telling us anything we wouldn't find out that we need to know at the moment. It mostly seems to be for shock value with the endings and to make sure people inferred something from certain scenes that was already heavily implied.

I think it has a lot to do with the novel being written as a narrative of the past from Saki who is now 35. I would not agree that it does not tell us anything we would not find out that we need to know at the moment, simply because it is hard to say what we need to know at a particular moment. Do we need to know Maria will cause the death of many people later at this point? We cannot tell, but since in the novel this information was revealed to us at around the same point (though not exactly the same timing), this is also how it was done in the anime. And it has a profound effect to how the readers perceive the character when they read the novel. Also I would say that the personal feelings narrated by Saki may not be that easy for us to find out without the narration.

memeki said:
The whole ball-rolling tournament wasn't terribly interesting and spent a good part of the episode just to remind us that rule-breakers aren't tolerated in the new society.

I agree that it has got on for too long although I quite like the more in-depth portrayal of the interactions between the 5 main characters to highlight their personality and their relations with each other.
symbvOct 9, 2012 10:18 PM

Oct 9, 2012 11:44 PM
Apr 2011
This series has piqued my interest.
Oct 10, 2012 4:28 AM

May 2007
One of the better series this season. Love the atmosphere that this anime creates. Hopefully the anime develops in a good way as each episode passes by.
Oct 10, 2012 11:13 AM
Jun 2008
not liking the show so far... I will give another chance next week and see how it goes.
Oct 10, 2012 1:33 PM

Feb 2012
its fine
no reason to get too excited to be honest.
Oct 10, 2012 1:55 PM

Jul 2010
I bet there's some sinister secret behind those rat people like creatures.
Oct 10, 2012 2:30 PM
Jul 2011
So are we looking at a series with 50 episodes per season for 10 seasons before the prologue is over?

I mean I understand (and really truly appreciate) that Japanese culture isn't as 'rushed' as other cultures, but I should have at least a vague notion of what the show is about by the end of the second episode. I mean I'm not really digging the art style. It's not bad, but it's not good enough to keep me on a show. The plot so far has been straight up bland foreshadowing.

I'll watch one more ep and if there's been no improvement I'm dropping this.
-------------------------------------------
Still waiting for MOAR HARUHI!
Oct 10, 2012 2:42 PM

Jun 2012
The beginning reminded me of one of Dr. Doom's winning quotes from UMvC3. "The applause shall continue for another hour. The first to stop clapping will be executed."
Oct 10, 2012 2:53 PM

Aug 2011
The little speech at the end was very unsettling. Sounds like its getting serious.
Oct 10, 2012 11:49 PM

Sep 2012
Mayobe said:
So are we looking at a series with 50 episodes per season for 10 seasons before the prologue is over?

Ep.3 will see real action. For prologue (meaning when the cast were still 12) it may be up to ep.4 or 5. Then there should be a time skip of 2 years.

Oct 11, 2012 3:26 AM

Mar 2009
Mayobe said:

There's only 25 episodes all up and you'll see some serious plot in the next couple of episodes.

Also, sex.
Oct 11, 2012 3:48 AM

Aug 2012
its 2 cours!
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.