Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2012 10:46 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
TV Tokyo not available on KeyHoleTV every time it's end or beginning of the season for some reason.

About how KajiKaji's character is in touched with poetry through Ohara-san's character through "love" (kind of like one of earlier love stories, or just another story that I've heard before). She can only "toy" with him for "love", but he really love her, who passed away later.

The papers of the poems on the screens are by him??
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 24, 2012 12:36 PM

Mar 2012
So no love for Teiko :(
Lol Teiko's dad is funny
well this was a nice end I think...
Sep 24, 2012 12:56 PM

Jul 2010
That was really beautiful, and sad. :)

I'm going to miss Utakoi.. it was a nice series. Not great, but it was still nice.
Got me reaaally enchanted at times, and I have good memories of it. :D

I give it a 7/10, overall <3
Sep 24, 2012 4:43 PM

Nov 2011
It was an alright and relaxing series overall.

Wasn't too exciting but a refreshing watch. 6/10 for me.
Sep 24, 2012 6:29 PM
Jan 2008
Wow.....that wasn't what I'd thought it'd be...especially since Teika's kind of the closest thing to a Narrator...and the hints that we got about him and Noriko in the OP...

I was expecting at least something a little more epic and maybe happier than the other poets. Instead, Teika got the shittiest backstory with his poor love dying!

Anyway...sad that this series is over with. I did enjoy this series for the most part, even if it did turn into a downer in the end. I"d probaly would give a 7.

And thank you Uta Koi...for now I plan to read The Tales of Genji and see if I can find The Pillow Book anywhere.
Sep 24, 2012 9:39 PM

Oct 2011
Teika being so easily influenced made me laugh. And the 'koi' pun.. Ohgod.. xD
I will definitely miss this series.
Sep 24, 2012 9:41 PM

Sep 2011
lmao i feel sorry for his dad XD
although Teika didn't get a happy ending
but the ending of the series itself was satisfying for me
6\10
Sep 25, 2012 2:14 AM

Feb 2012
it sucks that Teika's love didn't fully mature with Noriko.

I'll rate it 8/10 because I like how each episode gives me mixed feeling; the last episode was a sad one, then the following episode would be a happy romance one. I also didn't expect much humor to be incorporated in this series since it's a historic dramatic anime, but good thing my expectations didnt meet.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Sep 25, 2012 2:26 PM

Mar 2009
7/10
Sep 25, 2012 4:26 PM

Dec 2010
i'm sad to see this series is over. this last ep wasn't the best but it was nice to see teika's story even if it was kind of sad. poor teika QQ
Sep 25, 2012 5:38 PM

May 2011
I feel fairly positive about the series, I enjoy stories where matters don't always end in happiness. This last one I liked for the way it showed why Teika kept on doing this. For a love that could never be returned but the importance in that connection still. Even though it may not not be poetry there still is so much creative material out there that links people through the ages.
Sep 25, 2012 9:15 PM

Jul 2012
This episode: 4/5
Overall: 9/10

I felt like this episode wasn't as strong as I thought it would be. If it were stronger, I would have rated the series with 10 possibly.
I don't really get why a lot of people are giving 6s and 7s. It's an brilliant, funny and unique yet underrated episodic series. I think it deserves way higher. So far, this has been the best one I've seen this summer. :3
Sep 26, 2012 8:02 PM

Feb 2010
Finally! Teika's story! I love how his tune changed once he met Noriko lol

8/10.

Even though some stores were weaker than others... there was so much beauty within this series! This show is a hidden gem, and it's criminal more people haven't seen it.... especially with all the crap that aired this season.
Sep 27, 2012 1:48 AM

Jan 2011
Aaaah... I didn't want to watch this episode when it aired so I waited and waited, knowing it's the series finale. This episode goes full circle with the first and the rest of the series.
Beautiful story.
9/10
The world is the illusion of the real world.
Sep 27, 2012 5:11 AM

Feb 2012
All the poems were beautiful. I am going to miss this show.
Sep 27, 2012 7:44 PM

Feb 2012
"Koi? Koi?! KOI!?"
LOL. That background. Both a funny and touching episode.

Keita's story is so sad. D: But it's great to see him other than those very wacky openings. Now we know his motivation.

Enjoyed this series so much. 7/10
Sep 28, 2012 2:45 AM

Mar 2011
Teika's dad is the best thing of the whole series ww
Sep 28, 2012 9:27 AM

Dec 2011
Aww, Teika's backstory. I really wanted to see it. I'm glad they did it.

Vyudali said:
"Koi? Koi?! KOI!?"
LOL. That background.

^ I lol'd from that too. :D

Overall, I give these series 7/10. I enjoyed it.
Sep 29, 2012 4:43 AM

Mar 2012
I'm going to miss the Outkast ending :(
Sep 30, 2012 7:01 AM

Mar 2012
8/10
Weak season but still uta koi surpised me. There wont be anytime soon, shows like this , i wished there were more. For me, best on romance & drama, thus, my fav of the season. Just Humanty has declined is close behind.
huntxOct 1, 2012 3:14 AM
Sep 30, 2012 10:05 AM

Nov 2011
8,5/10
By far, Uta Koi is the anime that I most enjoyed of this season
The opening, ending, comedy, the selected poems. Everything is just right.

Some stories might not have been great, but each poem is enriching and my heart jumped with each one of them.
Sep 30, 2012 2:29 PM

Aug 2011
I was so close to crying for Teika and Noriko. D'': Teiikkaaa~~ D'': <3<3 NEEDS A HUG. But his finality at the end was great.

I really loved this anime, since I'm a pretty big fan of poetry myself. It was really worth watching.
Oct 1, 2012 12:40 AM

May 2012
fataverde said:
Aaaah... I didn't want to watch this episode when it aired so I waited and waited, knowing it's the series finale. This episode goes full circle with the first and the rest of the series.
Beautiful story.
9/10

Same here, I didnt want to watch it and did it till today, I loved this series.
Oct 1, 2012 5:51 AM

Jul 2011
Damn no one can be happy in this show, it was enjoyable though.

7/10
Oct 2, 2012 11:06 AM

Nov 2007
Nice story to end with. :)
Teika's, that is.
Almost all of them were unfulfilled love yet they still gave a happy feeling. ;) Nice one. I decided to give it a 10/10.
Oct 4, 2012 6:23 PM

Mar 2011
This series left me in tears with its startling simple, yet sentimental storytelling. I have said this many times, but I fervently believe Uta Koi was the sleeper hit of the season. It truly was a pleasant suprise: such an underrated series. ALL MY FEELS
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Oct 6, 2012 5:05 PM

Jan 2011
Two great sources for this anime: the 100 Poets anthology, and the actual biographies of the personages of the Heian court who composed or received the poems chosen by Teika. Any show that can bring a tear to my eye every episode (as well as lots of laughter) deserves high marks. I thought this was worth 10/10. It certainly should average more than it currently has in MAL's stats.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 13, 2012 12:40 AM

Feb 2010
bitter sweet love story arent for me but well this series was ok
"never regret anything, because at one point it was exactly what you wanted"
Oct 14, 2012 11:57 AM

Jul 2012
I had a dream that I forgot to watch the second season of Uta Koi and I was like "NO I MUST WATCH IT" but then I woke up and it turns out there's only one season after all. ):

Y U NO GET SECOND SEASON?! I want to see all of the 100 poems animated. ;v;
Oct 27, 2012 3:47 AM

May 2010
This is it.The end............but i am going to miss this.
Feb 2, 2013 2:44 PM
Jul 2011
So, Teika completed the whole anthology because poetry for him transformed into the sense of life...
Overall 9/10, especially for episodes with 99-day-visiter, Sei Shonagon, two childhood friends and final episode.
Feb 5, 2013 1:06 AM

Aug 2011
9/10

Its hard to see animes with true love stories. Life cant be pink always.
Jul 6, 2014 2:34 AM

Aug 2013
"Koi? Koi? Koi?!" *koi fish background* LOL!

Ah this show. It dangles the sweetest love story only to take it away, stomps on your bleeding heart and pokes it with a stick. Sweet pain >__<

You know I just realized I was so wrong to think women in Japan during the olden times were very conservative. If this show was to be believed then they're much more liberal than say during the Taisho period.

10/10. I'm such a sucker for well-done romance stories. I want a second season :(
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 15, 2014 11:22 PM

Apr 2014
Not my favorite episode but a worthy sendoff nonetheless.

I wish I could give 8.5/10's on MAL but eh. 8/10 is good. Would have been 9/10 of the first three episodes weren't so awful. The rest of the series more than made up for them in quality, though.
Dec 20, 2014 3:39 PM

Jun 2012
Well the best thing in this show remained the opening and ending songs.
Dec 29, 2014 5:29 PM

Jul 2011
Yoshitaka and Masako were the best.

OP was great too.

And this is how I enjoy my poetry: somewhat witty, many expressions in a few lines, free, meaningful, subtle, and with simple elegance. Also easy to understand, but with different ways to interpret it.
MirorinDec 29, 2014 5:37 PM
Jan 2, 2015 10:53 PM

Feb 2013
So my this is my third summer rewatching Uta Koi in the beach with my boyfriend. Pretty much feels like a need at this point. Beautiful, as always. It makes me remember why its in one of my top 5 favorite anime.

Mar 1, 2015 7:01 PM

Aug 2014
Great anime and probably the best anime to come out of a Josei manga.

My favorite episodes were the ones that the couple just could not be together for different situations; Those were the ones that really hit me.
oooo3333Mar 24, 11:16 PM
Mar 3, 2015 1:16 AM

Jan 2013
Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful.
Probably the 2nd best josei anime ever.
4.5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 2, 2015 10:46 PM

Apr 2012
9/10

Most of the short stories were pretty engaging, and it gave me the motivation to read some of the literature referenced in the series like the Tale of Genji and the Pillow Book.

Jun 20, 2015 1:12 PM
Mar 2012
Seriously, not a lot of happy ends in this series, are there?
Aug 25, 2015 10:11 AM

May 2012
An overall pretty decent ending I must say. The start and ending of this series were pretty good but the middle part was a bit strange as they went to a different path all the suddenly, but at least they catched up again in the end making up for that fluke.

All in all a pretty decent anime if you ask me.
Apr 11, 2016 1:20 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
This was a very charming and bittersweet series. It was very fitting to end with Teika's "love story," as it also gave us more understanding on why he was considerate of Shonagon honoring Teishi's wished; as he also honored what Noriko said about living through poetry.

My favorites were the three friends (Narihira, Komachi, Yasuhide), Shonagun's three episodes with Sanetaka and Yukinari, and Munesada's 99 days. I think there were only 2 episodes that I didn't care for much, but every episode had an interesting theme, or were thoughtful. Aside from the diverse romance stories, the most enjoyable part must've been thinking about the end of the episodes, reading the comments, and posting my thoughts here. While this ended up as a slow watch for me (I found it difficult to watch more than one episode per day), but I feel kind of empty now that it's over. Definitely a very special and refreshing anime.
May 13, 2017 4:47 PM

Jun 2011
Not even the final episode was any good. This whole "make-believe" then "omg we in love for real" trope is so cliche, and they never use this shit back in the days unlike now. The women in this series fall in love very easily with whoever being paired up with them in the show, like they've never met any better guys, ridiculous. The "friend" concept is also absent in this show, men and women cannot be friend, you either fuck each other or you don't talk with each other unless it's your job. For ladies who are so conservative, so much they needed to hide their face to another men, they sure spread their legs easily, eh? I thought high ranking daughters back in the day had to keep their virginity until they're married? No? Okay.

Oh, and apparently certain guys in this show can get away with sexual harassment, girls in this show love that stuff. Show some self respect, ey?

The poem itself is meaningful, very deep but the stories written by this particular author didn't work very well. The ending song still fucking sucks.

FWIW, Kinto is probably the best character, and Sei Shonagon could have been a great character but ultimately ruined by yet another forced romance where she doesn't mind being insulted for being a woman. If I didn't read it wrong, the second guy she was with basically wrote her a poem saying she's a fucking whore, and the guy even "joked" (though I have no idea how insult becomes a joke nowadays) that if she doesn't show her face she's an ugly bitch.

Oh well, at least I can delete this disappointing series from my HDD.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Dec 4, 2017 7:56 PM
Aug 2017
ToG25thBaam said:
Not even the final episode was any good. This whole "make-believe" then "omg we in love for real" trope is so cliche, and they never use this shit back in the days unlike now. The women in this series fall in love very easily with whoever being paired up with them in the show, like they've never met any better guys, ridiculous. The "friend" concept is also absent in this show, men and women cannot be friend, you either fuck each other or you don't talk with each other unless it's your job. For ladies who are so conservative, so much they needed to hide their face to another men, they sure spread their legs easily, eh? I thought high ranking daughters back in the day had to keep their virginity until they're married? No? Okay.

Oh, and apparently certain guys in this show can get away with sexual harassment, girls in this show love that stuff. Show some self respect, ey?

The poem itself is meaningful, very deep but the stories written by this particular author didn't work very well. The ending song still fucking sucks.

FWIW, Kinto is probably the best character, and Sei Shonagon could have been a great character but ultimately ruined by yet another forced romance where she doesn't mind being insulted for being a woman. If I didn't read it wrong, the second guy she was with basically wrote her a poem saying she's a fucking whore, and the guy even "joked" (though I have no idea how insult becomes a joke nowadays) that if she doesn't show her face she's an ugly bitch.

Oh well, at least I can delete this disappointing series from my HDD.

It seems you misunderstood a lot of things here. This is a story based on real historical figures so you should have some knowledge about that era. The love life in Heian era is pretty loose, example the infamous playboy Narihira. If you read Genji Monogatari, you will see more mind-blowing things, like Genji fail to get Utsusemi, she ran away and he ended up sleeping with her step-daughter who stayed in Utsusemi's room overnight since he can't stand the idea of being rejected. Genji even slept with Utsusemi's younger brother.
The romance in this anime did happen in real life and this is a retelling of those romance stories so I don't understand why you feel non-fiction romance is forced. You cannot apply your modern standard to things that happened in another era.
You really misunderstood the virginity thing. There was no rule stating that. In Torikaebaya Monogatari, Himegimi still became Empress even though she secretly gave birth to a child of another man.
Dec 4, 2017 8:23 PM

Jul 2012
^ say it louder for the people at the back (thank you for your post, bless up)
Dec 5, 2017 12:28 AM

Jun 2011
Himawari9 said:
It seems you misunderstood a lot of things here. This is a story based on real historical figures so you should have some knowledge about that era. The love life in Heian era is pretty loose, example the infamous playboy Narihira. If you read Genji Monogatari, you will see more mind-blowing things, like Genji fail to get Utsusemi, she ran away and he ended up sleeping with her step-daughter who stayed in Utsusemi's room overnight since he can't stand the idea of being rejected. Genji even slept with Utsusemi's younger brother.
The romance in this anime did happen in real life and this is a retelling of those romance stories so I don't understand why you feel non-fiction romance is forced. You cannot apply your modern standard to things that happened in another era.
You really misunderstood the virginity thing. There was no rule stating that. In Torikaebaya Monogatari, Himegimi still became Empress even though she secretly gave birth to a child of another man.
You can make an anime based on events that happened in real life but still feel forced, just like how you can make an anime based on historical facts yet doesn't transition events happened well and it would still feel forced. IIRC Sei was initially introduced as an independent individual, and the romance came out of nowhere, very abruptly, almost like they shoehorn the romance in it because it happened in real life, without much buildup. She should also take offense for a lot of stuffs said to her, but no, the other dude's a pretty boi so she should suck it up and worship him.

I don't know much about that era but I've heard that woman who's about to wed any royalty (at least around my part) would get her hymen checked to make sure she hasn't slept with anyone. I thought for sure it's something that would be reinforced back in the days but apparently not.

And no, it shouldn't be a prerequisite to know about the history of anything before delving into another fiction, if a story has to rely on outside knowledge to be good, then it's not doing it right. The idea may be appealing but if it's not done right, it is not done right.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jul 1, 2019 4:20 PM
Aug 2012
I've watched several so different and bittersweet love stories from the past that touched me deeply- it's priceless
Oct 12, 2020 3:34 PM
Aug 2019
Finally Teika's story, he didn't want to follow in his father's footsteps and becoming a poet but when met Princess Noriko he changed his mind quickly. Noriko is 13 years older than him which would make her 32 years old.
They both exchange love poem letters as make-believe.
But Teika developed feelings and fell in love with her which is unrequited love, also after learning this Noriko still wants to continue this letter exchanges between them which she's toying with his feelings but because this was, as she put it her only way out of prison, it's her freedom.
In the end, she passed away and Teika continued writing poems and making collections of them from the different poet's told throughout this anime and more as he told us in the first episode, him wanting to show future generations the presentation of the strong emotions in these poems.

This was such a journey I found this series because was looking through the Josei genre with historical so I put it in my planned to watch list but I found it later again through youtube recommendation and I was thinking it's about time I watch this. Coming in watching this for the first time I expected to mace but through watching the episodes I became interested in each poem and looked it up what it meant and also so many great things can be learned from these stories. Now finishing this story it was an amazing experience now I'm interested in learning about those poems and the real-life histories of the people from the anime, even though I was never interested in poetry. It had both sad love stories and happy ones, also you may experience love it may not last but it still remains in your memories and it pushes you forward. This anime is also not only about romance either but about life in general and which path you've taken is it the right path or not no one knows only you do but it will have both pros and cons. I also think I learn a great deal from this anime or things that I may not have realized before I guess it has sparked something in me, it inspires me to push forward I think I pick this anime up at a great time this anime is really inspiring.

I finished this series early morning so I'm tired don't know if I wrote mistakes I may come back and edit them later.

Jul 5, 2023 12:42 AM

Jan 2021
Wow... the final episode ended with the shittiest and unfair story. I don't know what to feel about Noriko, at least she knows that she's a cruel person... I honestly feel sorry for her, but "playing" with someone's feelings is so cruel. Uh, Teika's story sits alongside Munesada's as the most unfair and very bitter story...

Out of 13 episodes, there are only a few that end a little sweetly, or at least a little better than the tragic or overly sad ending. Yukihira with his wife (forgot her name), Sadaakira and Yasuko (Sadaakira is quite rude, well he is a tsundere, but I trust Yasuko... lol), Yasuhide-Komachi-Narihira, and Yoshitaka with his wife (although Yoshitaka died at a very young age, 21). My favorites are the Yasuhide-Komachi-Narihira trio and Murasaki Shikibu's story, though for a character my favorite is Sei Shonagon.

It's so impressive and memorable, I know I'll remember this anime for a long time.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jul 9, 2012

50 by puella_magi »»
Jul 5, 2023 1:41 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 12 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 17, 2012

20 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 10:59 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 11 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 10, 2012

18 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 10 Discussion

tsubasalover - Sep 3, 2012

25 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 7:15 AM

Poll: » Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi. Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 27, 2012

20 by hanakocheeks »»
Jul 4, 2023 3:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.