Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Do you read manga in public?

Nov 22, 2014 3:47 PM

i read it everywhere, where i have the time to read it, in the train for example. And i like to read at home and sometimes when a lesson gets canceled - at school.

Nov 22, 2014 7:41 PM

I need something to do while riding the train or bus. So why not open a good book or continue on a story I've started.

People stop and stare at anything. It's best to just do what you do.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.

Nov 23, 2014 2:13 PM

Well, yes, because why not? You can pretty much read anything that you want to in public although I'd rather read my manga in some quiet place.

Dec 1, 2014 6:05 AM

I refrain from reading manga in populated public places, reason why these nosy good for nothing judgemental needing a spanking on the bottom people just don't know when to stop looking at me with those beady little eyes of theirs :/ -Sighs- I hate you you pieces of garbage.
-deep breaths-
I'm calm now

(^_^)
~Kupo
The Manga Society Rules MAL

Dec 1, 2014 1:42 PM

I usually read manga on my phone but i do not do it in public places since people thing I am reading comics or some dirty manga such as Hentai. I have tried to educate them and make them understand, but you know haters gonna hate. They have their thing and i have mine GO MANGA!
XOXOotakuramenXOXO

Dec 3, 2014 5:37 AM
i like to read it in the buss/train

Dec 3, 2014 6:02 AM

Rarely to be honest. With manga I have to pay a lot of attention to the dialogue and panels for maximum understanding of what happened. In public places, I'm bound to get distracted and lose track of what's going on, which really annoys me.

Dec 3, 2014 6:04 AM

Yes I do,why wouldn`t I? I stopped caring what people think about me,so that doesn`t bother me. I can do whatever i like/want on my tablet/phone in public..i don`t care if they judge me. ^~^
This is where I`d put my signature...If i had one.

Dec 3, 2014 12:47 PM

I often read manga on my mobile device in public/work to pass the time. Obviously I'm mindful of what I'm reading, otherwise often times the material is not appropriate if someone were to glance at my screen.

Now for physical manga, I can't imagine hardly anyone reading physical manga at public places in the US anyways. Just considering level of popularity, inconvenience, age demographic, costs, etc. That would be a rare sight indeed.

Dec 3, 2014 4:32 PM

Yes and no. I do read manga in public, but online via my phone so its not like anyone can even tell unless theyre behind or beside me. I mean I dont give a rats ass about what others think of me, its just that Im too lazy to bring a volume with me everywhere I go. Also that sounds like itll damage my precious book!

Dec 3, 2014 6:55 PM

I don't want people seeing me orgasm when the new JUMP chapters are released XD

Dec 3, 2014 8:06 PM

[size=90]Yeah I do, weather these days tho.. just ;_; my hands will freeze

Dec 6, 2014 5:03 AM

Absolutely I do. Do what you want to do and don't let others around you, or your environment, decide that.
[color=#3399CC]All credit goes to Daika-san.
[/color]

Dec 6, 2014 5:42 AM

Why the heck would I take my precious, fragile, clean manga out into the dirty open full of stink, germs, piss, shit, vomit and anything else you can think of spread around?

No thanks.

Manga is to be enjoyed in a comfortable quiet place where you can relax and think while reading.

Dec 7, 2014 5:39 AM
Paul said:
Not sure if the question is strange or what not.

Anyways,
asian dating online
As many know, some (or a lot of) people tend to hide their power level in public when it comes to real life discussion about anime/manga but how about when it comes to reading manga in the open? Are you able to or willing to read a manga in a public place where anyone/everyone can see you? Or do you simply read at home or somewhere where your alone?

I'm sure some people will say that it's no different than reading a normal book but I'd have to say it's fairly different. People will judge a book by its cover, literally, and manga covers can be extremely strange at times depending on the series.

Now for those who don't have actual manga books, do you read manga online in public places? Libraries? School? Etc.
instagram followers hack
I myself don't mind reading in some public places like a library but rarely do I ever read my manga out of my home.

I read manga everywhere and anywhere as long as I enjoy it.. I like reading it at school when I have periods with no lesson. I dont care what people think :)

Dec 9, 2014 10:08 PM

Oh man, you better believe I read manga in public online and offline.
I used to own a lot more of manga, will buy more undoubtedly in the future,
but right now I've only got the first 17 books of Dragon Knights at home.
I do often check a lot of them out from the library near us, actually borrowed
the first 25 volumes of Detective Conan, and I brought the first 3 volumes with
me to read at the Hospital while I waited for my dad to finish with his Doctor.

I have never cared what others think about me, hell I walked around Walmart in
complete cosplay as Kikyo and got a lot of weird looks. Actually, I ran into one
of my co-workers there that day too, I was working as a CNA at a health care facility,
and she gave me a funny look but in reality there was no real surprise to it because...
well, she probably learned by how I would dye my hair in such weird ways not caring.

Anyways, there was proof I could have had of me reading Manga in a public surrounding...
back in fall of 2008 I had gone to a Caucaus... however you spell it... that thing that
happens every four years to help get a new President elected and they're trying to get
everyone in your area to vote for them... yeah my dad made me go so I'd get the extra
credit for history class. I brought my mp3 player and a stack, approximately 8 Manga
books with me, and found a spot where I could have my space and proceeded reading.
The only reason I became aware of having my picture taken was my dad said he saw one
of the county's newspaper photographers take one while I was nose deep in the book.
I was actually reading the soccer Manga series called Whistle then so it looked odd
because at the time I was going through a "Goth" phase which I think I may return to.

But, I wouldn't think twice about reading Manga in public. I love it, so why not.
People will have to take me or leave me for all I am and that includes my love for
the Anime and Manga world. Just saying, hiding it is for... well, those who care
and are influenced by the views of others. Only thing I care about what others
views are would be if they say they're my friends and care and then they try to change me.
I don't appreciate that, I mean I'll listen and think about it a little but I'm me.

Dec 9, 2014 10:10 PM

I read manga in public the same way that 40 year old women read 50 Shades of Grey in public. LMAO

music is life...

Dec 10, 2014 12:38 AM
no

Dec 11, 2014 10:57 PM

I plan to bring a manga to read on my lunch break at work in a couple hours.

Dec 24, 2014 12:07 AM

Someday.....

P.S: Its just a moderate necro

Dec 24, 2014 12:17 AM

Sure.. Unless it's lewd manga

Dec 24, 2014 6:21 AM
Well i live in a country where almost nobody knows what manga is and where anime is just another cartoon for little kids (till age of 10) . I can read it in front of my friends in school, at first they tought it's very weird ,but now no one really mind. I also draw characters all the time so everyone got used to it.

Dec 24, 2014 6:24 AM

I read manga on long journeys, so at the airport and on the train. Nobody cares, so I don't care

Dec 24, 2014 6:36 AM

I don't really read manga so I would say no.

Dec 28, 2014 8:27 AM

I only read manga at home lol
One day I'll be like Akashi and gain this title "Unbeatable"

“ Since I always win, I'm always right. ”
—Seijūrō Akashi

“ The only one who can beat me, is me. ”
—Daiki Aomine

Dec 29, 2014 2:15 AM

No 'cause I need wifi in order to read manga online

Dec 30, 2014 7:16 AM

Only if its a Doujin.

No but really I don't want people confronting me about it. I don't really like being put on the spot.

Dec 30, 2014 6:57 PM
I would never read manga in public... My precious copies would get dirty.

Dec 30, 2014 8:19 PM

MafuraHer0 said:
True!

Dec 30, 2014 10:03 PM

I do but only on my phone

Dec 31, 2014 3:40 AM

I like to read my ̶d̶̶o̶̶u̶̶j̶̶i̶̶n̶̶s̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶ mangas at a cozy and quiet place e.g. my bed.

Dec 31, 2014 6:18 AM

Not really. At one point i did bring manga's to school few times but these day's if i'm out on the public i don't bring mangas with me because i don't want my mangas to deteriorate.

If i buy something from store (which happens very rarely because mangas are cheaper online) i might read it if i'm riding the buss.

Dec 31, 2014 6:22 AM

Reading them in public is the best way to find new friends who have the same interest as you :)
What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power and people who flatter them hide in safe places and extol war, force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, then send them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war with the Empire, mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites? - Yang Wenli

Dec 31, 2014 6:38 AM

MafuraHer0 said:

Actually to avoid that I carry them around in a air cushion envelope (I usually have two Manga in one envelope in my backpack).

I voted "Yes, but only in certain public areas", but actually I missed the option "Yes, but only certain manga". Because for me it depends on what kind of manga it is and how much time I have. I often read them in short periods (5-10mins. while waiting), but this is not enough time to keep the overview of a complex manga. So easy manga yes, complex ones no.

Jan 14, 2015 1:22 PM

I have no problem with it. It's not different from reading a book, and I do that all the time, when I am not reading a manga ;)
Time pass, people move...
Like a river's flow, it never ends...

Jan 14, 2015 1:25 PM
I usally read on the bus. Everyone else is just looking on their cellphones so it doesn't matter.
Pandora hearts broke my heart

Jan 14, 2015 3:20 PM

I would/have in the past, especially if the manga is from a library but since i've started buying my own i'm very stingy about where i bring it xD as i want to keep it in the best condition i can and as clean as i can. So i only read my personal copies at home unless i'm going on a trip for several days then i'd bring it with me. This doesn't apply to friends borrowing my stuff though, as long as you do your best to keep it safe you can bring it anywhere except the bathroom thats gross lol.

Jan 15, 2015 8:57 AM

I don't read manga in public because these days I only read it on my computer at home. Back in elementary school I collected physical copies of One Piece which I brought to school and read.
I do however read books in public, most often while I ride the buss or wait for the buss.
When I had a laptop I sometimes read manga on it, but I often found myself hiding it from others. Mostly because whatever you read people think it's hentai or cartoons for children and they become super judgemental. I'll probably not read physical manga in public if I could.
Can't think of a good enough signature yet... I'll get there eventually.

Jan 15, 2015 9:05 AM

AlexSadist-sama said:
No. I prefer reading it when I can be alone and there's silence but I would check out manga openly in public.

I may also sneak away during breaks in hopes of finding an empty classroom to read. But usually I would rather read at home, simply because I wouldn't want to get sidetracked by noise.

Jan 15, 2015 2:45 PM

I do, every time I bought a new manga I always read it while walking lol

Jan 15, 2015 7:16 PM

i read it alone secluded in my room :P

Mar 8, 2015 7:12 AM

Heeeellll Yeaaaa ~ Anytime anywhere ~

Mar 8, 2015 7:35 AM

It’s a weird question and at the same time pretty good one)) I used to only read manga at home but now I sometimes read at the university. Turns out I’m not the only one reading manga)) But I still like to read at home because I can’t seem to concentration when there's to much noise around me((
Modified by YourBlackShadow, Mar 8, 2015 10:27 AM

Mar 8, 2015 9:32 AM

Idgaf. I've read Girl Friends (which has some....ahem....sexual scenes) and other manga, which I wouldn't call all of them exactly NSFW, but some of the horror mangas I read get pretty crazy with the gore and stuff.

Honestly, I don't care what people think of me reading manga. Someone sitting near me in school might pick up one of the books I'm not holding and look at the cover, maybe the synopsis on the back, but other than that won't do much, so I don't see the harm in reading manga in public unless it's some VERY VERY OBVIOUS NSFW title, like a hentai manga.

Mar 8, 2015 9:34 AM

Seke said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
No. I prefer reading it when I can be alone and there's silence but I would check out manga openly in public.

I may also sneak away during breaks in hopes of finding an empty classroom to read. But usually I would rather read at home, simply because I wouldn't want to get sidetracked by noise.

Mar 9, 2015 2:35 AM

I'm everyday 4 hours in the train for my job so I always bring manga to read in the train.

Mar 9, 2015 2:50 AM

zozv said:
I'm everyday 4 hours in the train for my job so I always bring manga to read in the train.

I'm in a similar situation but I choose to download anime and watch them in public.

Mar 9, 2015 3:23 AM
Usually I don't care what others think of me, but most of the time I only read manga at home.

Mar 9, 2015 3:25 AM
i tried once but this guy kept staring at me so i stormed off.

Mar 9, 2015 3:52 AM
rarely on the subway. it keeps bad things away.
oh and it may bring good things closer too. When I had first bought Dogs:bullets and carnage and reading it again and again, a girl approached me whether it was good or not. she liked xxxHolic a lot because of the details. mmmm.

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »