Forum Settings
Forums

My List Titles: [Main Title|Official English Title] Toggle

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

Sep 13, 2012 12:04 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Due to various threads that have popped up recently, I'd like to centralise all concerns about Anime DB Main Titles here, under the heading of the following suggestion:
- Creating an option to display titles on a user's individual list by their Official English Title, if present, rather than the Main Title of a series.

First of all, I'd like to make a note about behaviour:
"Weeaboo" is a derogatory slur, and while it can be used all in good fun in some instances, in a thread of this nature, the only means for its usage is abuse and harrassment. I'll invite you to read what the term weeaboo really means, so you'll see that making our database consistent is hardly "tossing aside each of our individual indigenous cultures in favouritism of Japan". Anime is not, and will never be, any other culture but Japan's by definition of the word. This is the last I want to hear of this. Any further posts containing this will be treated as baiting and will be removed. Any other drama inciting posts that do not adhere to the Site & Forum Guidelines will be treated accordingly as well and removed.

MAL is an English site, what's the point of having Japanese titles?
We don't have Japanese titles as main titles. If we did, Sen to Chihiro (aka Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi aka Spirited Away) would be 千と千尋の神隠し. This would be ridiculous as we are an English site and the majority of our users (including foreign users) are more familiar with the roman alphabet. This familiarity allows users to create memory associations between titles and entries more readily than if we were using an entirely different character set. For this reason, we romanize titles. And this is not unique or new to us: the fanbase has been romanizing titles since the days of VHS distribution (decades/eons ago).
Note: Loanwords are not, and never will be, directly transcribed from their katakana, so please do not worry that Cowboy Bebop will become Kauboi Bibappu.

Alright, but still, why not break convention and use all English titles?
The majority of our database is not licensed. Thus, if we wanted to go with all English titles, we'd need to translate them ourselves. This means most of the titles we would use, would not be in use anywhere else on the internet and you'd probably have a harder time remembering them than the romanized titles. And, if the series ever got licensed, then you'd need to re-learn the possibly new English (or even romanized!) title. Translation, after all, is an art and not a science.

Okay, fan translations are out. What about all official English titles where they exist?
This is a possible option, that is in use by ANN. However, for our historical, current and future userbase, this is not the best route to go for the majority. First of all, the majority of our users have always been and always will be fansub watchers. This is why we have a fansubber group database with over 20 languages. Even though we may force everyone to read synopses, reviews and interact on the forum in English, all of our users are free to watch anime in their own language, use their lists, and interact on profiles, comments and clubs in their native languages. The only reason we enforce English in the other areas of the site is for the purposes of moderation.

Non-native English users aside, many English speaking fansub watchers have no idea of the licensed English titles - especially if the series was licensed after they watched the series. We have an anime database, not a licensed-anime database. Entries are added as they are announced, aired and released in Japan. This means the main title of the entry will always need to be changed at some point if the series is ever licensed. And change is hard. That's why some of you are upset with us in the first place.

If you want all romanized titles, then why weren't these titles transcribed in the first place?
At worst-case scenario, 97% of MAL's Anime DB is currently using romanized official titles and many of the remaining 3% are long-running franchises that need to be switched at once (e.g. Detective Conan). The reason they weren't romanized in the first place unfortunately has some history behind it.

When I first joined the staff in Autumn 2008, the team had already gone through multiple rounds of changes. While the very first anime moderators may have been on the same page in the beginning, over many years with lost and new people, everyone had gone on to do their own thing. This resulted in numerous inconsistencies in the database, leading to misinformation and lack of information. To correct this, we began writing the Database Guidelines in Sept 2009.

Unfortunately, one thing stood in our way of releasing what we believed to be a full set of guidelines, including a MAL Standard for Romanization: this was the lack of a synonym field for Characters and People. While we wanted to see this change coded into the site, we recognised it may not come soon and tried to proceed without it by turning to the userbase for help. The result was unfortunately unproductive and noninclusive of the entire userbase - or even a majority's - opinion. Unable to hold off any longer, we tabled the Romanization Guidelines for the time being and pushed the Database Guidelines without any real specifics on titles in Dec 2009.

Returning to the issue in May 2010, we put aside Characters and People, and attempted to formalise a standard for Anime and Manga titles which would be included in the next large-scale update of the DB Guidelines. However, literally days before its release, a thread was made contesting the issue. Discussion continued for several weeks and unfortunately was again noninclusive of the majority's opinion, quite heated and unproductive. To make matters worse, many other issues were also present at the time - including massive lags - which probably only took a toll on the entire on the situation.

At this time, it was obvious everyone involved needed to step away from the situation and take a breather. We said that we would not change all of the titles at once until we foresaw an option for list titles to be coded into the site; too much change at once can be hard. But we did not forget the intention to make the database consistent, and over the last 20 months, titles have continued to be slowly changed from licensed/fan-translated English to their transcribed counterparts, allowing time for users to adjust and gauging any possible response.

Then why all of the Ghibli titles now?
To note, it wasn't all of the Ghibli titles now. It was 13 of the 31 Ghibli entries, which amounts to roughly 41.9%. Additionally, all of Ghibli's movies released after MAL's creation (2004) have romanized titles; e.g. Gedo Senki vs. Tales of the Earthsea; Gake no Ue no Ponyo vs. Ponyo on a Cliff; Karigurashi no Arrietty vs. The Secret World of Arrietty; Kokurikozaka kara vs. From Up on Poppy Hill; etc.

There are certainly more titles that still have yet to be switched (as some of you pointed out indirectly), so you may be wondering why the Ghibli titles were made consistent now. This is because last week a request was posted in the Anime DB Modifications thread for the change of Whisper of the Heart to Mimi wo Sumaseba. It seemed both pointless to deny this request and to change only one of the Ghibli titles but not all. Then you all would have really been upset with our inconsistency. And, to be quite honest, I thought the userbase could handle the changes now. If you consider that, at most, 40 people have complained via the forum about it so far (an estimated 0.004% of the userbase and 0.028% of the members that have seen Sen to Chihiro alone), it seems in overall the userbase has.

I don't understand why we can't just use the most popular title.
This is because with the size and diversity of our userbase, and the growing size of the international community in general, there no longer is a clear "most popular" title. Consider the newer Ghibli movies (post-2004). I have no idea what percentage of our current userbase has seen those movies in dub or sub, and which title the majority identifies with the entry. It will depend on the individual user's heritage, age, taste and personal experience with anime. This is why it has become increasingly more inconsistent and unfair to draw an invisible line based on MAL's historical userbase and database. And we're not about to vote for each individual main entry title either. Look at any thread like that and you'll find that the user response is always dismally low. People that either do not care or are happy with the way things are do not post. This is why we cannot and will not use the "most popular" title.

In summary:
I find it honestly regrettable that the changes to these titles have caused you some inconvenience in viewing your list. I ask you to be patient with us as we move to a more consistent database. We are making these changes as slowly as possible to try and inconvenience you the least. If you'd rather we just changed everything at once, please feel free to say so.

We take pride in MAL's database and spend a lot of time trying to expand and update it so that it is useful for the community as a whole. Part of keeping a database, especially when it is worked on by volunteers, is making sure everything is consistent. It may seem laughable to some, but no one wants to use a database full of misinformation and erratic ways of presenting its information.

However, I do recognise one fact: the North American subsection of our userbase seems to be getting younger and less experienced with anime. Some of these new users know more of the recently dubbed anime by their licensed names and English voice actors than the old North American userbase did. For this reason, it is reasonable to discuss an option for users to choose their own list display format: Main Entry Titles or English Titles.

How would a Show English Title feature work?
- You would be able to choose to display your own list with either Official English titles (where present), or the Main Title (by default).
- It would not change the titles anywhere else on the site but on your own individual list.
- You also would not be able to pick and choose with such an option, which title you'd like to see. It's all licensed or all main. This means if you watch it subbed but it is licensed with a different English title later, you will need to re-learn the new title to find the entry on your list.

So think about this, and decide if it's something you'd still like to see implemented.

Recently Licensed Examples:

Other Examples:

Thank you for reading this entire post before replying.

December 2nd Update:
As I wrote previously, a toggle option would not allow you to pick and choose your own titles. However, it has come to my attention that there are a range of browser extensions which can do this for you.
- Firefox: FoxReplace
- Opera: RePlaceTeXt
- Chrome: Ponify (they don't seem to have anything better...)
I hope this helps.

January 20th Update:
Changed link from the old forum guidelines to the new Site & Forum Guidelines.
Modified by Kineta, Jan 20, 2013 4:17 AM

Sep 13, 2012 12:18 PM
the biggest issues here is the mistranslation of titles when licensed end of my views on the topic
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Sep 13, 2012 12:19 PM

Kineta said:
This is because with the size and diversity of our userbase, and the growing size of the international community in general, there no longer is a clear "most popular" title.

I cannot agree with this. In the case of popular movie titles, the most used title is often clear. Now, there are titles which are more obscure or which the community has not assigned a "popular" name. Feel free to romanize these, but please leave already established titles alone.

Edit: a poll is not necessary to decide upon a title name. Searching for an episode download, review, or participating in off-site discussion will almost always uncover it. The issue with many of the current renames is that NOBODY CALLS IT THAT.

The organizational nightmare is understandable, but in that light, it still seems to me that the choice to romanize titles is one done out of convenience for database moderators - at the cost of the user. You want consistency; we want titles that appear in discussion and match our products.
Modified by hellogoodbye, Sep 13, 2012 2:35 PM

Sep 13, 2012 12:20 PM

personally after reading everything(but just replying in response to the ending) and all i think it could be nice to have for the sake of it being there but i'd never use it because it would be half and half like either way and wouldn't really find it worth using since i'd need to re-learn names either way.though personally for the changes i rather have them all at once if they are going to happen and not bit by bit since i find that more of inconvenience having it be done slowly and needing to catch whatever each time as opposed to knowing a massive change happened and can just get right on learning them.

Sep 13, 2012 12:25 PM
hellogoodbye said:
Kineta said:
This is because with the size and diversity of our userbase, and the growing size of the international community in general, there no longer is a clear "most popular" title.

I cannot agree with this. In the case of popular movie titles, the most used title is often clear. Now, there are titles which are more obscure or which the community has not assigned a "popular" name. Feel free to romanize these; but please leave already established titles alone.

The organizational nightmare is understandable, but in that light, it still seems to me that the choice to romanize titles is one done out of convenience for database moderators - at the cost of the user.

someing i ind odd in the db is some sources have Japanese[Romanji] Titles while the Adaption has the the English title
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Sep 13, 2012 12:25 PM

I did read everything, so hopefully a short response doesn't come off as over-anxious, or too quick to jump to a conclusion, or the like.

I would think changing everything at once is a good idea, if change is inevitable. That said, I still think a most popular title system would be best, despite the difficulties in defining popularity. Which brings me to the question: is there not a reliable, Western-centric authority on anime, whose system could simply be adopted? (you mentioned ANN, for instance) Perhaps there is not, but this makes the most sense to me, theoretically.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.

Sep 13, 2012 12:32 PM

Kineta said:
So think about this, and decide if it's something you'd still like to see implemented.

I read everything and thought about it and see nothing but good coming from this idea (the toggle option) because frankly, people who want their list in English will be pleased and even when it comes to newly licensed titles, it is easier to remember (for some) the new license name than the Romanized version, mostly when said title is very long. Those who don't want English titles or who get annoyed with the new licensed names "screwing their list as they have come to know it" or so to speak could still change back.

Overall, nothing is lost with the idea, gives an alternative to users and pretty much solves the problem. I approve.

hellogoodbye said:
The organizational nightmare is understandable, but in that light, it still seems to me that the choice to romanize titles is one done out of convenience for database moderators - at the cost of the user. You want consistency; we want titles that appear in discussion and match our products.

But the toggle idea she proposes solves this, your list will be in English for you but the main entry pages will be in their official titles. Honestly I don't see a problem if implemented since you can search main entries by any titles in the search function, and your list becomes readable once again with the toggle
Modified by Arch-Defender, Sep 13, 2012 12:41 PM

Sep 13, 2012 12:35 PM

Appreciating the whole explanation given on this matter, I'll go with a few things:

-Romaji is an alphabet. Japanese is a language. A word written in romaji can also be Japanese as it's a concept present in their vocabulary, just with another way of writing. Pathos is still a Greek work despite being written in latin (or romaji) alphabet, in this case.

-The main problem of this measure is that it was sudden and it affected popular titles. Some users are right in that it doesn't affect the search bar for anime but it does affect the search bar for Series Discussion. And in some cases the title is not exactly well-known for English-speaking users, which either are part of the majority of the users or the main audience MAL is directed to since it's an English-speaking site. The example of Spirited away has been given many times but I think Kiki's delivery service as Majo no Takkyuubin is a far more difficult one, very risky in terms of misspelling (and MAL's search bar doesn't have a decent correcting function for this).

-I have mentioned it a few times on other matters, but the lack of communication between site administrators and users is one of MAL's main problems. If you decided to change the titles of popular works, it was quite easy to create controversy out of this, since people would be easily aware of the change and some would declare themselves against the measure. On the other hand I know it would be absurd to demand you to announce any change in the website, but I'm saying it because I think it's also necessary to put these complaints in context and understand them.

And I think that's everything. Thanks again for the explanation, and take into account that I'm not exactly one of the most affected by this change, since I already knew the Japanese titles of the works and anyway English is not my mother language.

Sep 13, 2012 12:38 PM
omeing i ind odd in the db is some sources have Japanese[Romanji] Titles while the Adaption has the the English title

this id like explained plz

Sep 13, 2012 12:42 PM

One last note, if you are to change all the titles then better do it now, no point in agonising over it.

Sep 13, 2012 12:55 PM

A few more points.

Kineta said:
Thus, if we wanted to go with all English titles, we'd need to translate them ourselves. This means most of the titles we would use, would not be in use anywhere else on the internet and you'd probably have a harder time remembering them than the romanized titles.

All English was never the request. However, the consequences mentioned are exactly what we're feeling when popular titles are romanized for consistency.

Kineta said:
Okay, fan translations are out. What about all official English titles where they exist?
This is a possible option, that is in use by ANN. However, for our historical, current and future userbase, this is not the best route to go for the majority. First of all, the majority of our users have always been and always will be fansub watchers.

Had somewhat of a hard time deciphering this one, but from what I gather you're saying that, in some cases, there are 2+ possible English titles - official and fansub. You then mention that the majority of users watch fansubs. In that case, wouldn't it be reasonable to adopt the same titles adopted by the fansub (usually English)? Or why not adopt the same conventions as imdb, ANN, or amazon? MAL users are not confined to MAL. Going full romanji would make MAL the odd-one-out.

Kineta said:
We are making these changes as slowly as possible to try and inconvenience you the least. If you'd rather we just changed everything at once, please feel free to say so.

It would be best if these changes were implemented after a toggle has been provided. Otherwise it's a choice between slowly going blind versus going blind right now.

Edit: Shane777 made some excellent points below, especially on the problems of the proposed toggle. What we are all trying to tell you is that, as users, we prefer title recognition over consistency. The solution proposed is only partial, and the current crusade for consistency is destroying our lists.
Modified by Kineta, Sep 15, 2012 9:50 AM

Sep 13, 2012 1:00 PM

Personally, I think you should just change them all at once and get it over with and let people deal with it. Kinda like saying it's better to jump into a pool than wade in.

The toggle sounds good in theory and if you are already set in changing all the names to romanji then it would be good to implement for those who really want it, but personally I think I would be just as upset with seeing things like Higurashi no naku koro ni becoming When They Cry. Still I might give it a try because it could be easier to relearn names in English than relearn them in Japanese. Also, maybe this is impossible, but could you just let people set what title to show for each entry, the same way you add comments and stuff (pressing edit).

Lastly, I feel like you're pretty set with your plan, but if there is still any chance for discussion, I think a popular name would work best. I read all of your arguments, and while I feel for you guys, really a site is supposed to cater to the users not the administrators. And your comment about what percentage commented is pointless. I don't know if you took this into account, but many people on MAL never/barley ever use the forums. Regardless of this, not everybody who agrees with the forum post will post themselves unless they have something to add. For example, I read many of the posts on the most recent forum, but didn't actually post myself.

Anyways, that's my two cents, I was kinda annoyed by the change at first, but I've already pretty much gotten over it and it was nice to see a full explanation so thank you.
Modified by Slyr3do0n, Sep 13, 2012 1:04 PM

Sep 13, 2012 2:09 PM

hellogoodbye said:
Edit: Shane777 made some excellent points below, especially on the problems of the proposed toggle. What we are all trying to tell you is that, as users, we prefer title recognition over consistency. The solution proposed is only partial, and the current crusade for consistency is destroying our lists.

I agree with this. Consistency is cool and all, but I'd take functionality and recognition over it in this case. At the very least, main titles should be reverted back to the name that was there in the first place and is on the series discussion topics. It's kind of stupid to have Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku with discussions for Now and Then, Here and There. And I realize some titles, movies in particular since there's only one topic, have had their discussion topics ninja'd into the romanized title; I can understand future titles sticking with the names they were first entered into the database with (I would have them changed as well, but that is secondary), but consistency isn't worth changing already-established and well-known titles.

On another side of things, duplicate entries already happen enough. If someone can't find "Spirited Away," for example, we're going to start getting more useless duplicates and confused users because we alienated the members too much and they don't know what Sen to Chihiro no Kamiblah is.

EDIT: I should probably mention the toggle option. As far as what is proposed, I think it's good and see no real problem with it at this time. Not every English title is preferable ("Cat Planet Cuties" is just a retarded name, for example), but it would do more good than bad.
Modified by Florete, Sep 14, 2012 11:30 AM

Sep 13, 2012 3:15 PM

I don't really like the implication that it's all the younger and less experienced anime watchers who want things in English on a primarily English-speaking website, but I guess that's not the main issue here.

I would be content with the suggestion made in the OP - to keep the main title in Romaji, but allow for an English toggle. I would prefer for the English toggle to apply to anime entry titles too for that particular user, but I assume that the reason why the proposition is to do it for the user's list only is some coding issue.

I don't think deciding on the most popular title is a good idea. Firstly, because I'm not sure how you'd determine it. It's been suggested to look at what the fansubs call each anime, but they almost always don't bother translating the Romaji title from my experience (and even if they do, the title can vary between groups). So then you're left with asking the userbase, but if the userbase as a whole is skewed even slightly towards Romaji or English titles, one side will usually dominate the other, and the other side will feel like they're getting a raw deal.

Thank you for this thread, Kineta - it's good to know that the users have a voice in this kind of thing.

Sep 13, 2012 3:26 PM

Arch-Defender said:
One last note, if you are to change all the titles then better do it now, no point in agonising over it.

This. I can understand after reading whole OP why it was decided. Then the best is to change them all at once, instead of torturing us little by little.

I find it sad to see some "sen no chihiro" instead of Spirited away, even though in France the title was (translated into English:) "Chihiro's journey" for example. When you get used to a name it's disturbing seeing changes, even if it's for the sake of consistency.

With the option to toggle between main (=romanji then, even when an official english title has been made) and english (when applicable) it gives the issue of having seen recent japanese subs (like Mirai Nikki), whose you got used to the names, been butchered into english titles (Future Diary in this case).

The issue here was that we had old classics which EVERYONE knew the english title from long time ago suddenly changed into gibberish. That's what's disturbing. If we go the "toggle animelist titles into English" we'll get the issue of having watched 2010/2011/2012 recent animes subbed (thus we knew the romaji as not being licencied yet) get a change of name (in that list) suddenly as soon as it gets licencied...

And what about seeing OTHERS' list ? If we choose to set ours into English , when we view other people's list will they be into English or gibberish ? What about "view shared anime" list ?

Apparently there is still a problem with the series discussions search function as well.

I'd like those changes reverted, if not, well I'll have to take the toggle option... And accept some anime's english licencing names.

Thus, change all anime into romanji asap, so we can get over with this already.

Sep 14, 2012 7:12 AM

Thanks for the such a thorough explanation, Kineta.

I don't mind either way and even if the toggle option is in place, I'd probably just ignore it. The reason is fairly simple - just looking at the examples you gave made me wince. I knew all those titles in Japanese because they were here and discussed in MAL db first way before they were licensed and given their corresponding English names.

I can wrap my head around an anime having two titles (English & Japanese). It won't cause me that much grief. It would only take awhile and then I would be able to recognize the anime by its titles. Of course, if I opted not to use the English toggle then the Japanese one would likely be more familiar.

Hopefully, the search function would be better so that the duplicate entries would be reduced - if users actually use them before submitting new entries.

As others have suggested, please do the changes en masse and at once.

Thanks once again for taking the time and presenting us with viable solutions. It is much appreciated.

Sep 15, 2012 6:07 AM

Thank you for the explanation. I was wondering about that.

Sep 15, 2012 3:57 PM

Thank you Mr Administrator! All i really wanted wanted is an Show English Title option, then you can do whatever you want with the database.

Sep 16, 2012 9:57 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

@hellogoodbye
You seem to be under the impression that consistency is only beneficial to the staff, which is not the case. What you feel is the most popular title and what another feels is the most popular depends on the user's heritage, age, taste and personal experience with anime. You're asking us to choose the titles that you feel are "most popular" and "most clear", which is going to vary from user to user. Naming of episode downloads, reviews, and other sites are not accurate sources either. If you go to ANN, you'll see English names where they apply; if you go to AniDB, you'll see all romanised titles (with different guidelines than ours); if you look for releases of a Crunchyroll licensed series, you'll find different series names across the fansub groups, often depending on who rips and who actually subs. Where there may be more commonality with some entries, with others it can be quite different. Consistency is important because it has no discrimination and creates fewer debates in the long run over titles; time which we can put to better use working on other areas of the database and users can put into watching more anime.

Title recognition is not the same for the entire userbase. Someone will always be affected. If you think I'm not affected by the changes either, you are mistaken. I need to learn the titles and am likely to forget them if I haven't thought about them for a while, just like everyone else. But I know that for me this would be the same with a list of books I've read or movies I've seen as well.

@Post-Josh & @hellogoodbye
MAL is the most visited anime listing site on the internet (japanese sites excluded). Even if it wasn't, we are our own individual site and - while other sites may offer ideas - we should not be merely adopting their systems. Even still, adopting amazon is impossible; they only list licensed titles (as I stated before, a very small percentage of our database). ANN, as I said before, uses all licensed titles where applicable. Thus, what you'd see on ANN is what you'd see with the English Title Toggle I described (Asobi ni Iku yo! becomes Cat Planets Cuties). IMDB does not list manga and likely does not scratch the surface of our anime database. AniDB also uses all romanised titles, though by a different romanisation system. Fansub groups a) do not sub every title (much of our database is not subbed/scanlated), and b) cannot even agree on the title among themselves if more than one group subs the show.

Furthermore, we are an international site that uses English to communicate because it is the most well-known internationally. Only 18% of our site visitors come from the US, and only a small percentage of this 18% likely knows all NA released titles by their licensed titles.

Re: Anime Series Discussion search bar: An anime entry's discussion forum is as easily accessible in as many clicks by using the anime search bar at the top of the page (e.g. "Spirited Away"). Secondly, different romanisations or CR titles are also not searchable by that bar. So really, the error lies more in that feature and was present even before this change.

Re: Appearance on Anime Entries / other users' lists / shared anime: The anime entry will stay as it is; all titles appear under the image anyway, so I don't see why it'd be necessary to add code here. For other users' lists, it will most likely depend on performance and time. It may have to be like the columns you set on your own list: only applicable to yours. As for shared anime, I'm not sure either. That's another thing that would depend on Xinil.

@Otaking

@hellogoodbye

@jal90

@Shane777

@Redfoxoffire

@TotalPotato
Modified by Kineta, Sep 16, 2012 10:13 AM

Sep 16, 2012 10:14 AM
Kineta said:
@Otaking

the example i give is Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu the Novel and Manga But the anime Db Main Title is the English Title

Edit: removed the huge quote.
Modified by Kineta, Sep 16, 2012 10:44 AM

Sep 16, 2012 1:45 PM

Kineta said:
@Redfoxoffire
Redfoxoffire said:
At the very least, main titles should be reverted back to the name that was there in the first place and is on the series discussion topics. It's kind of stupid to have Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku with discussions for Now and Then, Here and There. And I realize some titles, movies in particular since there's only one topic, have had their discussion topics ninja'd into the romanized title; I can understand future titles sticking with the names they were first entered into the database with (I would have them changed as well, but that is secondary), but consistency isn't worth changing already-established and well-known titles.
The problem with this is old entries were done by whatever the moderator who was doing the entry felt like the title should be. There are entries that also have half of their forum topic titles with one title and the other half with another. Furthermore, by your logic, Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season: Kataomoi should thus be reverted back to Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season Episode 00. Topic titles can be and should be changed; that's what the edit function is there for.

I meant that in terms of English titles that were used for a long time and later changed to romanized Japanese. Obviously the full, correct title should be used over a placeholder (as I would say that KnT title was) or just plain incorrect title. It's fine when an entry for a DVD special is initially put it in as "Anime Special" and later changed to "Anime: Cool Title" when it actually comes out. That's not what this is about.

Forum mods probably need to collaborate on this a bit more, then.

Kineta said:
Redfoxoffire said:
On another side of things, duplicate entries already happen enough. If someone can't find "Spirited Away," for example, we're going to start getting more useless duplicates and confused users because we alienated the members too much and they don't know what Sen to Chihiro no Kamiblah is.
Duplicate entries happen, often with the exact same title as what's in the DB. Nothing will get around that. And with an adequately staffed anime mod team, it's not an issue.

I know they happen, I said it myself. Just because they already happen doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stop even more from happening.

One more thing: were the previously used English titles something that was complained about reasonably often, or ever, for being inconsistent? If so, I can see why this would have been pushed, but otherwise, why randomly start doing it? A consistent database? Does that mean we're going to start fixing the other inconsistencies, too, like how some old entries (Big O) should be split by our standards today? What about the fact that western name order on characters doesn't really make sense given the Japanization of the rest of the db? (I'm pretty sure there's another thing I wanted to mention but I can't remember what it was)

If we're going to change these titles in the name of consistency, we ought to plan on doing the same to the rest of the database. However, I still believe familiarity should be preferable. Consistency is cool, but it's not always for the best. If this isn't something people found problematic in the first place, there was no need to fix what wasn't broken.

Sep 16, 2012 10:29 PM

I was wondering what was up with my list! Thank you very much for the explanation. :) I agree with the majority here in saying yes to having a "Show English Title" toggle option on the lists if you could, please. Thanks! :)

Sep 17, 2012 4:33 PM

Those statistics mean nothing considering the huge number of smurf/inactive accounts on the site. Not to mention that most people aren't even seeing this thread.

I also agree with what Redfoxoffire said about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

How would it even work for favorites and history?

I wouldn't mind the change nearly as much if the database itself was more accurate. In particular, I'm referring to the genre tags, which have so many inaccuracies and inconsistencies it's actually pretty funny.

For example: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai. Obviously harem and ecchi, but not listed as such; and for some reason, it's listed as seinen?

Another example: Nisemonogatari. Obvious harem--not listed as one.

I could seriously go on forever. It seems like the information's coming from inaccurate sources (that, or some database mods don't like to acknowledge stigmatic genres because it makes particular animu look bad). Even Wikipedia is more accurate than this site most of the time.

These inaccurate genre tags also make MALgraph's "Favorite Genres" section pretty much pointless, since the genre tags are wrong to begin with.

Moral of the story: I think you should be worried more about the accuracy of the database than the consistency.
Modified by DraconisMarch, Sep 17, 2012 5:32 PM

Sep 17, 2012 5:46 PM
My muse...

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai is listed as seinen as it runs in Comic Alive, a seinen magazine.

If you wish to make changes to genres you can do so here for anime and here for manga.

If you want the database to be better then we need all the user participation we can get.

Sep 19, 2012 6:33 AM

Brand said:
If you want the database to be better then we need all the user participation we can get.

+9000. The db does not miraculously become accurate by MAL admins and moderators work nor does it grow by their efforts alone. The database grows because of user participation. They have the nearly thankless job of weeding out the 'good' submissions from the bad ones - the titles of which we add to our list.

I'm one for consistency. It is a database. It is not a personal list that we could just use whatever form/spelling (or other idiosyncratic wish) we like. The consistency guidelines go towards resolving niggling issues a database may have and provides answers the majority may ask. The changes that will make the db consistent will take time. We can't all cry in frustration why this is this while that one remained as is.The MAL staff is small and the entries run into hundreds of thousands. It will obviously take time.

The toggle option is the good way to resolve the issue that's been raised. Now we wait for the coder to do his magic.

Sep 23, 2012 9:57 AM

While the entry name thing annoys me, I can deal with an option to toggle your list in English. There are just certain titles I can't be assed to remember the Romaji name for, especially since I've been watching anime seasonally only since the Fall 2009 season.

I know plenty, plenty of Romaji titles, but when it comes to things like Ghibli movies for example, I just can't be assed to remember the Romaji title for.

Oct 29, 2012 5:40 PM

I find it extremely annoying that the website is gonna dictate how my anime list looks like! I thought the site was called MYanimelist, not YOURanimelist.

I dont know what the hell "Kurenai no Buta" is, i dont remember adding that to my list. I only know that movie as Porco Rosso!

PLEASE GIVE US THE OPTION TO CHOOSE! The option to change the titles from Japanese to English, at least on the titles that are English licensed! That's all i'm asking.

Oct 29, 2012 7:11 PM

IcecreamManwich said:
I find it extremely annoying that the website is gonna dictate how my anime list looks like! I thought the site was called MYanimelist, not YOURanimelist.
Database comes first and from how he explained it, it will help everyone.

BigOnAnime said:
I know plenty, plenty of Romaji titles, but when it comes to things like Ghibli movies for example, I just can't be assed to remember the Romaji title for.
Why just leave Ghilbi movies? where does it stop. And nobody is assing you anything.

I say change them all to Romaji and not give the ability to change them, unless there is strong support. Since you mentioned that only about 40 people have complained, that's just a small percentage of the total users, and it doesn't sound like it would be too hard to get used to the new names, like how it took me 2 times of seeing it while browsing my list to remember that Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakshi was Spirited Away. If it helps the database and helps with trying to find anime then I'm all up for it. instead of implementing the toggle ability(which would be awkward if they then went to the anime page, or saw it anywhere else on the site), hopefully we can get the tags system maybe changed.

Nov 1, 2012 7:45 PM

IntroverTurtle said:

I say change them all to Romaji and not give the ability to change them, unless there is strong support. Since you mentioned that only about 40 people have complained, that's just a small percentage of the total users, and it doesn't sound like it would be too hard to get used to the new names, like how it took me 2 times of seeing it while browsing my list to remember that Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakshi was Spirited Away. If it helps the database and helps with trying to find anime then I'm all up for it. instead of implementing the toggle ability(which would be awkward if they then went to the anime page, or saw it anywhere else on the site), hopefully we can get the tags system maybe changed.

Of course few people have complained, many users don't actually visit the forum and only use the list, thus know nothing of this thread. Others just see that their opinion has already been stated by someone else and leave. I don't think we can assume only "about 40 people" want this based on this thread, especially since many people who will find this annoying just won't say anything and will live with it but would rather have an option if it was possible. Also, you said "...it would be awkward if they saw it anywhere else on the site..." Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean but what will be awkward for other users isn't really for you to decide, which is the point of the toggle option, if they do find it awkward they can change it back.

Personally I think they really should implement the toggle option; My Anime List prides itself on having an easy to use customizable list that users can arrange as they see fit. They actually have several options that allows you to build your list in the way you desire it, which would make an option as basic and important as the display of the actual titles on your list a priority in my opinion.
Modified by Arch-Defender, Nov 1, 2012 8:33 PM

Nov 2, 2012 12:59 PM

So, when will this toggle option will be live ? There are more and more messed up titles in my list, it gets tiresome to have to check them one by one to know what those are T_T

Nov 2, 2012 7:09 PM

Arch-Defender said:
Of course few people have complained, many users don't actually visit the forum and only use the list, thus know nothing of this thread. Others just see that their opinion has already been stated by someone else and leave. I don't think we can assume only "about 40 people" want this based on this thread, especially since many people who will find this annoying just won't say anything and will live with it but would rather have an option if it was possible. Also, you said "...it would be awkward if they saw it anywhere else on the site..." Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean but what will be awkward for other users isn't really for you to decide, which is the point of the toggle option, if they do find it awkward they can change it back.

Personally I think they really should implement the toggle option; My Anime List prides itself on having an easy to use customizable list that users can arrange as they see fit. They actually have several options that allows you to build your list in the way you desire it, which would make an option as basic and important as the display of the actual titles on your list a priority in my opinion.
And if it was a big enough problem there would be more people complaining, even if it meant multiple posts stating the same thing. And if they are living with it, then eventually they will get used to it. I think having their list say one thing and the anime pages/forums say something different would be more annoying than just changing the titles. And I'm not trying to decide for people I'm questioning if it's even worth it.

And maybe they should implement it if there is enough people wanting it. But I still say that the tags/comments system should be fixed or changed before that, the toggle option shouldn't be top priority.

Nov 6, 2012 2:44 PM

After dealing with the shock of seeing "Spice and Wolf" off my favourites, I stumbled upon this topic.

I understand the reasoning behind changing some titles and I don't HATE the name "Ookami To Koushinryou" but, the title "Spice and Wolf" had a specific charm to it for me and it was easily accessed by me and many others prior to this change.

My favourites list looks so empty without it that it's heart-breaking, the uniqueness that I felt is gone (many people didn't even know the japanese name or had only heard it once or twice, seriously). I could care less about any other title changing in the entire world (well, excluding FMAB), but why oh why was it my beloved Spice and Wolf... :(

What's next? Fullmetal Alchemist? That would be like delivering the finishing blow.
Modified by Shuda, Nov 6, 2012 3:00 PM

Nov 7, 2012 8:31 PM
Strike Witch

My feeling is that consistency > recognition. If the database is always going to be this way, then all future anime entries titles will be added with their Romaji titles. Why not clean up the older entries? Consistency will make it much more presentable.

Kineta said:
It may seem laughable to some, but no one wants to use a database full of misinformation and erratic ways of presenting its information.
Modified by og_ramen, Dec 23, 2012 4:38 PM

Nov 7, 2012 9:10 PM

Personally, I really enjoy the new title changes.

I have always thought it weird how some of the titles were translated while most were not. Obviously not included are the ones that are in English originally, e.g. One Piece, Soul Eater, Tiger & Bunny. Some title changes are/will be weird but nothing that I'm not willing to get use to. I'm enjoying the accuracy and consistency that is being implemented here on MAL.

A toggle option isn't a bad idea, though if it toggled every title with an official English title at once instead of being able to pick and choose than I would not use it. I probably won't use it even if I could just pick and choose titles to change. There are more anime that I only know by their original title and not by their official English one.

These changes are for the best; they're making MAL a better and more accurate database. I am wholeheartedly for the original and accurate "main" titles.
Modified by SunflowerDaisho, Nov 7, 2012 9:17 PM

Nov 9, 2012 6:01 AM

1: You're very welcome, and thank you for talking the time to write all that.
2: I agree with you 100%, and to be honest, I didn't even know this even happened until someone pointed it out to me. I am a fansub watcher, I only really know the Japanese titles anyway.
3: For those complaining: learn the damn Japanese title. It's your own fault.

Nov 9, 2012 12:06 PM

I still don't see why some people are actually oppose to the toggle and say users need to "adapt" when the toggle affects no one but the users using it. Since this is a site primarily dedicated to establishing anime lists you'd think the display of titles in that list would be pretty important as an option for users especially considering all the other options this site offers to customize your list as you see fit.

Nov 9, 2012 1:14 PM
Strike Witch

Arch-Defender said:
I still don't see why some people are actually oppose to the toggle and say users need to "adapt" when the toggle affects no one but the users using it.
The toggle hasn't been implemented yet, name changes are currently effecting users and they are currently adapting to them. While the toggle would allow users to see titles of their choice on their lists, users would still have to adapt elsewhere on MAL to the name changes. (i.e. Browsing anime pages)

Nov 9, 2012 2:36 PM

Unrelenting said:
Arch-Defender said:
I still don't see why some people are actually oppose to the toggle and say users need to "adapt" when the toggle affects no one but the users using it.
The toggle hasn't been implemented yet, name changes are currently effecting users and they are currently adapting to them. While the toggle would allow users to see titles of their choice on their lists, users would still have to adapt elsewhere on MAL to the name changes. (i.e. Browsing anime pages)

Just because people can adapt to the new names doesn't mean they want the new names (original names). That's my entire point, it's their lists so they should have it displayed however so they want. If people can put huge eye blinding pictures on the background of their list as well as reshapping the way the list looks itself then why not English names?

Nov 9, 2012 3:09 PM
Strike Witch

Arch-Defender said:
Unrelenting said:
Arch-Defender said:

Just because people can adapt to the new names doesn't mean they want the new names (original names). That's my entire point, it's their lists so they should have it displayed however so they want. If people can put huge eye blinding pictures on the background of their list as well as reshapping the way the list looks itself then why not English names?
With the Toggle you would be able to do so on your lists, but not elsewhere on MAL.
Kineta said:
It would not change the titles anywhere else on the site but on your own individual list.
If you are talking about just the name changes, and not the Toggle, I'm not sure what to tell you. My feeling is that it needs to be one way or the other, and kept that way for a more presentable and more easily maintained DB. Meaning, either all English, or all romanized Japanese main titles. Depending on which is chosen, it seems that users are going to have to deal with it when browsing MAL, and not their lists.

Nov 9, 2012 3:22 PM

I meant the mods should implement the toggle, I don't care how titles are displayed elswhere on the website tbh, but I want the option for my own personal list, just like Kineta proposed.

Nov 9, 2012 3:33 PM
Strike Witch

Arch-Defender said:
I meant the mods should implement the toggle, I don't care how titles are displayed elswhere on the website tbh, but I want the option for my own personal list, just like Kineta proposed.
Certainly. After all,
Kineta said:
Sharing how you feel about it helps. I imagine if enough users speak up about wanting it, it will be implemented.

Nov 9, 2012 6:07 PM

Unrelenting said:
My feeling is that it needs to be one way or the other, and kept that way for a more presentable and more easily maintained DB. Meaning, either all English, or all romanized Japanese main titles. Depending on which is chosen, it seems that users are going to have to deal with it when browsing MAL, and not their lists.

Is there any other place it matters? You'll still find the titles if you search for them, you'll still find the episode discussion forums if you search for them and people in the recommendation forum generally don't bother which the official name in the DB is when they recommend something. Is there any other place besides the individual list of the user where it would actually matter if the titles were all romanized Japanese main titles?
I don't see any problem that couldn't be solved by implementing the toggle function.

As for the toggle function itself, I personally don't care much about it, but having more options is always a good thing and I'd probably end up using it for 5-10 titles on my list if it were implemented.

Nov 9, 2012 6:59 PM
Strike Witch

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Unrelenting said:
My feeling is that it needs to be one way or the other, and kept that way for a more presentable and more easily maintained DB. Meaning, either all English, or all romanized Japanese main titles. Depending on which is chosen, it seems that users are going to have to deal with it when browsing MAL, and not their lists.

Is there any other place it matters? You'll still find the titles if you search for them, you'll still find the episode discussion forums if you search for them and people in the recommendation forum generally don't bother which the official name in the DB is when they recommend something. Is there any other place besides the individual list of the user where it would actually matter if the titles were all romanized Japanese main titles?
I don't see any problem that couldn't be solved by implementing the toggle function.

As for the toggle function itself, I personally don't care much about it, but having more options is always a good thing and I'd probably end up using it for 5-10 titles on my list if it were implemented.
What you're saying actually goes in line with what I stated before, apart from my discussion with Arch-Defender.

Personally, I just feel that rather than having a percentage of English main titles and a percentage of romanized Japanese main titles, there should be entirely one or the other. (on individual anime pages / default main titles on lists) Mainly because I value consistency and I like to know the way in which I should be adding things to the DB.

I have no quarrel with the Toggle. But I could survive without it. If I'm not mistaken, we're pretty much on the same page about it.

Nov 10, 2012 6:03 PM

I think it's reasonable to assume that when someone says, "Learn the Japanese title," or something in a similar context, they mean the romaji title.

Nov 11, 2012 8:52 AM

Arch-Defender said:

I agree with this, a toggle would be wonderful since I remember most anime by their english names.

Nov 14, 2012 1:43 AM

-Shuda- said:
After dealing with the shock of seeing "Spice and Wolf" off my favourites, I stumbled upon this topic.

I understand the reasoning behind changing some titles and I don't HATE the name "Ookami To Koushinryou" but, the title "Spice and Wolf" had a specific charm to it for me and it was easily accessed by me and many others prior to this change.

My favourites list looks so empty without it that it's heart-breaking, the uniqueness that I felt is gone (many people didn't even know the japanese name or had only heard it once or twice, seriously). I could care less about any other title changing in the entire world (well, excluding FMAB), but why oh why was it my beloved Spice and Wolf... :(

What's next? Fullmetal Alchemist? That would be like delivering the finishing blow.

In that case it makes no sense, seeing as how the official Japanese site is www.spicy-wolf.com and even has Spice and Wolf in the banner.

The OP doesn't really give a good explanation as to why they can't just use the official English titles for licensed anime. Like why we have to be concerned about non-native English speakers, while it says in the rules that only English posts are allowed anyway.

I understand that you want to keep the database organized, but you could at least do it in a way that makes sense to the majority of the userbase.

Nov 15, 2012 3:59 PM

Narmy said:

The OP doesn't really give a good explanation as to why they can't just use the official English titles for licensed anime.

Kineta said:

This is a possible option, that is in use by ANN. However, for our historical, current and future userbase, this is not the best route to go for the majority. First of all, the majority of our users have always been and always will be fansub watchers. This is why we have a fansubber group database with over 20 languages. Even though we may force everyone to read synopses, reviews and interact on the forum in English, all of our users are free to watch anime in their own language, use their lists, and interact on profiles, comments and clubs in their native languages. The only reason we enforce English in the other areas of the site is for the purposes of moderation.

Non-native English users aside, many English speaking fansub watchers have no idea of the licensed English titles - especially if the series was licensed after they watched the series. We have an anime database, not a licensed-anime database. Entries are added as they are announced, aired and released in Japan. This means the main title of the entry will always need to be changed at some point if the series is ever licensed. And change is hard. That's why some of you are upset with us in the first place.

That’s a good enough explanation for me and also addresses your second part
Narmy said:

Like why we have to be concerned about non-native English speakers, while it says in the rules that only English posts are allowed anyway

On topic:
I can understand people getting upset about some well known English title being changed into Romanji and I would actually prefer them to stay the old way, too. But if it is either all English or all Romanji, I’d definitely go with the latter option. While some classic old English title might be preferable, pretty much all newly licensed title are worse and this development won’t change.
So, if things must be changed for the sake of consistency, I’d rather be forced to get used to some old titles in Romanji then be forced to get used to new English titles every time a show is licensed.

Nov 17, 2012 8:27 AM

I'm okay with this change as long as there is a toggle option for our lists. If not, I see no reason why we should be changing anime that have been officially licensed in English. I'm sitting and waiting though to see if you guys decide to include Fullmetal Alchemist to comply with the new 'standards'.
Modified by armeg, Nov 17, 2012 8:32 AM
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.

Nov 23, 2012 10:12 PM

I wonder why you even started all this. You basically created a lot of work for the whole administration and eventually won't come up with a solution that the majority of your userbase is going to like. You changed a running system without any need.

There probably was the occasional disgruntled user that demanded an explanation why a certain title was chosen, or internal discussions among the moderators about what title would be best. But was dealing with it so much worse than what we have now? Is all the time and effort you have to invest worth it?

My preference is "most popular title" or simply the way it used to be. This doesn't have to be as complicated as you make it out to be. Looking at the examples you gave at the beginning I bet you already knew which titles would work and which won't. And for those cases when it's not as clear cut, just come up with some guidelines e.g. most google hits, moderator vote, etc.
This would probably net the most satisfaction among your userbase while requiring the least amout of work on your end.

examples:
"Spice and Wolf" 21,900,000 results > "Ookami to Koushinryou" 1,460,000 results
"Asu no Yoichi!" 16,500,000 results > "Samurai Harem" 52,200 results
"Sakamichi no Apollon" 15,100,000 results > "Kids on the Slope" 1,810,000 results

You could even write a simple script that googles all available titles and uses the most popular as default.
Modified by nznz, Nov 23, 2012 10:23 PM

Nov 23, 2012 11:20 PM
I can't believe how many people are bitching about this. Being able to toggle between English and Japanese titles would be great, and better than what we have now.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »