Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Oct 6, 2008 10:09 PM

Aug 2008
midori- said:
Asrialys said:
midori- said:
like voices not fitting is really annoying
haruhi + god knows ep 12

i don't know she sounds sorta old, country? lol. whta the hell. she's singing it weird too, doesn't really help her voice sounds too old...

I undestand they have to translate the lyrics but some of t just sounds sorta dumb... less literal more cooler...

if you actually have never seen the japanese version
aya hirano woo hoo

Hm...I liked it...

By the way, Aya Hirano singing it doesn't exactly sound like a high schooler either. She actually sounded younger singing it live at Anime Expo 2007, and it wasn't even that great (live, I mean).

umm... 30 year old sounding haruhi is pretty gross..

True.
I prefer to hear a young singer
than a 40 year old Haruhi (high school+30)
._.;;
Oct 6, 2008 10:39 PM

Feb 2007
Kallen_R2 said:
midori- said:
Asrialys said:
midori- said:
haruhi + god knows ep 12

i don't know she sounds sorta old, country? lol. whta the hell. she's singing it weird too, doesn't really help her voice sounds too old...

I undestand they have to translate the lyrics but some of t just sounds sorta dumb... less literal more cooler...

aya hirano woo hoo

Hm...I liked it...

By the way, Aya Hirano singing it doesn't exactly sound like a high schooler either. She actually sounded younger singing it live at Anime Expo 2007, and it wasn't even that great (live, I mean).

True.
._.;;

Wow, the girls at your high school must sound like little children if you think the dubbed Haruhi sounded that old.
Oct 6, 2008 11:13 PM

Apr 2008
I wouldn't mind dubs if they had good voice acting like Cowboy bebop and if they don't censor the language to...
Oct 6, 2008 11:30 PM

Feb 2007
Goodtimes420 said:
I wouldn't mind dubs if they had good voice acting like Cowboy bebop and if they don't censor the language to...

They don't censor language. Besides, there's a major difference between swearing in Japanese and swearing in English.
Oct 7, 2008 4:22 AM

Jun 2008
Nah, subs are MUCH better IMO.
Oct 7, 2008 2:27 PM

Oct 2007
Kallen_R2 said:
midori- said:
Asrialys said:
midori- said:
haruhi + god knows ep 12

aya hirano woo hoo

Hm...I liked it...

True.
._.;;

High school + 30 = 40? So 10 years old is high school? Where do you live? o_O

Real high-schoolers don't sound like children like they tend to in anime, you know.
You can find me on IRC.
Oct 7, 2008 2:59 PM

Feb 2008
That dubbed version of God Knows is goddamn awful.
Gimme Aya anyday.

Only dub I'll watch is Sailor Moon. That is all.
Oct 7, 2008 3:00 PM

Feb 2008
-double post-
Oct 7, 2008 3:12 PM

Nov 2007
Kuyukly said:

High school + 30 = 40? So 10 years old is high school? Where do you live? o_O

Real high-schoolers don't sound like children like they tend to in anime, you know.

And you know most seiyuu doing those 'childrens' voices are 20-50. Hell there are some notable voices that are over 50 and still sound pre-pubescent. You can't really compare Japanese to English, especially when voice acting is involved since good seiyuu can do sickeningly cute children's voices.

But anyway, it's kind of like American TV with 30yo actors playing highschoolers I suppose. Just what people are used to, maybe.
Oct 7, 2008 4:00 PM
Feb 2008
Yes, dubs have to exist.

Honestly people, is it really that hard to just ignore dubs if you don't like them? If you don't like them, don't watch them, it's as simple as that. Some people actually do like dubs.

I'm not a huge fan of dubs myself, but I do actually prefer dubs to subs for some anime, such as Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist and the Full Metal Panic series.

Oct 8, 2008 4:00 AM
Jul 2008
Do dubs have to exist? Hmmm... "Have to"? No, but I guess they do offer some advantages, especially to children and others who are unable to read subtitles by one reason or another. As long as I'm not forced to listen to them, I really couldn't care less about others' preferences.

"Localization" and censorship, however, are great ways to ruin a show, in my opinion.
Oct 8, 2008 4:06 AM

Sep 2008
Id much rather watch subbed but my 6 year old brother likes to watch anime to and he cant read... so sometimes on my duel audio discs ill watch the dubbed version with him. He watches subbed with me all the time but he cant understand fully wats going on so every once in a while we watch dubbed togather.
Oct 8, 2008 4:26 AM

Feb 2007
Apparently, we still live in the 90s...
Oct 8, 2008 5:23 AM

Sep 2008
How so?
Oct 8, 2008 7:29 AM

Oct 2007
Rpgwiz99 said:
How so?

My guess is because everyone still seems to think all anime is censored for release in America when it's not. The only time it's ever censored anymore is when it's being cleaned up for broadcast, and even then only when it's on children's channels such as Cartoon Network.

If people would get up and actually purchase even just one or two DVDs, they'd know better. :/
You can find me on IRC.
Oct 16, 2008 11:59 AM

Sep 2008
sometimes, it's sooo extremely annoying when the english dubs are almost the same ppl. -_-''

Oct 16, 2008 12:34 PM

Apr 2008
Iri said:
Although I don't normally watch them myself, I'd say from an economic standpoint non-Japanese-track dubs need to exist. The industry could simply not support itself to the degree it does without the extra revenue afforded by them.

I was at a panel with ADV's Matt Greenfield several years ago where he stated that VHS sales of their titles broke down to about 90% dub/10% sub. Now with modern DVDs that not an issue, but it was revealing of how the public prefers their anime, and I suspect those numbers are roughly similar these days among paying customers. Since ADV (and everyone else) charged higher for sub tapes than dub tapes, the subs, in a sense, subsidized (no pun intended) the profit margin for a particular series/movie. But the dub sales allowed it to get to the point were it was profitable to release it at all.

This is because the anime localization industry outside of Japan operates in terms of "economies of scale". In other words, there's a "critical point" of sales you need to get to before it's worth releasing a series. DVD pressing, design, and marketing aren't cheap, not even to mention the ever-rising licensing fees from the Japanese. With no dub track, you cut the cost of ADR, but you also cut your total revenue significantly. Instead of sales in the tens of thousands, as you see with the "big" titles, you might only manage a number in the low single thousands or even the hundreds, as has actually happened in the recent past. That eventually will put you out of business.

At least that's the economic side of it. From the personal side, I'd also say, "Why not?". That's what the language button on the remote is for.

EDIT: I just noticed I responded to this topic last year, which I've totally forgotten. I'm getting old/senile.

Don't you think the industry would be better off with out dubs. One of the reasons DVD's cost so much is because companies need to make back the money they used to pay voice actors. A DVD with a dub costs $ 29.99 and contains only 4-5 episode, and a DVD with subs costs the same amount but contains 9 episodes.
Oct 16, 2008 12:37 PM

Feb 2007
dianne-chan said:
sometimes, it's sooo extremely annoying when the english dubs are almost the same ppl. -_-''

So much better in Japan, where most of their well-known voice actors are used in so many anime in one season (season as in winter, spring, summer, fall), using the same voice, and practically playing the same part. Yay typecasting.
Oct 16, 2008 12:42 PM

Oct 2007
Dubs can be even better than the original versions, just they should be more careful when picking the actors.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 2 hours ago

7 by Lucifrost »»
10 minutes ago

» Anilist is better ( 1 2 3 4 )

SleepySimoon - Oct 28, 2021

177 by Ari4 »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

148 by Ten »»
12 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 4 hours ago

19 by Lucifrost »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

58 by BlueBullet178 »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.