Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 21, 2008 10:49 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh wow! The guy is completely somewhere in the future! Yeah big time jump! BEFORE I CONTINUE I WANT TO SAY that the I had to take a break just from seeing that scene with the soldiers coming AND KILLING THAT POOR WOMAN WITH HER BABY! THAT SICK! SICK! SICK! How the hell can they do this??? WHO THE HELL are these Soldiers???

*Mod edit*

aeroNov 17, 2008 3:59 PM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 21, 2008 7:36 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
good, follows the manga faithfully again (not that it is necessarily a good thing)
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 21, 2008 8:15 PM

Jul 2008
wakka9ca said:
good, follows the manga faithfully again (not that it is necessarily a good thing)

Dude, the whole baby thing really freaked me for real!
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 22, 2008 9:30 PM
Oct 2007
wakka9ca said:

Uhh, by the end of epi three, they're diverging. What about Kuon gosh dang it. And this is so different than the bar scene in vol 3. Bah, doesn't even feel like he's longing fer Kuromitsu, just shuffling along.

Now as separate entity devoid of the manga, can't wait fer episode 4!
Oct 26, 2008 6:26 AM

Sep 2008
whats up with the subs for these they are late
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 26, 2008 6:26 PM

Jul 2008
Jigero said:
whats up with the subs for these they are late

Eh, the finally made it though. That was weird though.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Oct 26, 2008 9:27 PM

Sep 2008
This show pretty is both well done and has samurai vampire in a dystopian future. Check and mate.

Pretty good setup episode, I'm defiantly looking forward to the next.
Oct 26, 2008 10:34 PM
Oct 2008
Great episode although confused at the beginning when he just randomly appeared at the city but all and all great episode and im sure they will explan things as it goes on
Oct 27, 2008 12:30 AM

Sep 2007
I'm liking the sci-fi aspect of this way better than the medieval counterpart.
Oct 27, 2008 3:29 AM

Mar 2008
Great episode. It doesn't disappoint, yet.

The soldiers: it seemed to me that those were clones of her?

But Shinsen's encode quality is a bit bad. I think I will try out Ureshii's HD releases to compare the quality. They seem very slow, but hopefully they will finish it at some point.
Oct 27, 2008 3:34 AM

Jun 2007
hmm a bit to slow for me. Also felt like the producer had loads of ideas but didn't know how to place them in the right sequence or just tried to smoosh them all into one episode. This made it extremely confusing. I hate how they jump around too. Stick with one idea, don't go back and try and improve it (ex. he woke up alone and wondered into the city, but when he's in the city he has a flash back of him waking up and listening to the vampire women talking, then she gets shot to death). They should have just started the ep.

In any case I still like the show. The dark feel to it is similar to Vampire Hunter D only a bit more darker.
Oct 27, 2008 4:13 AM

Mar 2008
Immortal Berserk Vampire from ancient Japan wakes up in a post-apocalyptic future and kicks ass? Fucking AWESOME!
Oct 27, 2008 5:00 AM

Jun 2008
i thought that this show is about ancient japan,anyway great episode.
Oct 27, 2008 7:16 AM

Dec 2007
Well, there was nothing I can complain about in this episode, I truly enjoyed this one. The only episode so far that I liked, there is still hope.
Oct 27, 2008 7:26 AM

Mar 2008
This was a good episode. I quite liked it better then the first 2.
Oct 27, 2008 9:23 AM

May 2008
Kurozuka: It makes as much sense as a show that doesn't really make sense.

Okay, I guess it makes sense in the context of it's own little universe if you really want to make an argument for it. Either way at this point it's less of a good show than it is interesting due to being unusual despite having so many overused...everything. The settings are ancient Japan and post-apocalyptic Japan, the main character is both a samurai and a vampire, and there now appears to be some sort of evil organization running the show. Yet, somehow, it has managed to make this work thus far. Plus I enjoy how every action scene is now a sweet rave party.

There is one thing I have to complain about though. What the hell is wrong with the legs of the characters? I noticed it in the first couple episodes, but when I saw this guy's legs I finally had to ask:

Oct 27, 2008 9:43 AM

Jul 2008
I loved it, how they changed the setup, well honestly hoped for less of a 'jump in time', with slowly watching medieval and modern -> future Japan; but it's still awesome.

The legs of the characters are indeed... creepy... look at the samurais from first episode..

can't wait for 04... and need to read manga it seems ;p
Oct 27, 2008 10:03 AM

Aug 2008
angel999 said:
THIS IS THE FIRST THING THAT MADE ME SICK! Women with baby and then SOB soldiers shoot her and the baby.....cause you can't hear it cry (hint, hint)! SICK!
I must ask, why are you even watching this?
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Oct 27, 2008 10:27 AM

Sep 2008
still confusing as fuck but I still love this show so far. The fighting is really well done. and why was the soldier wearing lip stick.....
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 27, 2008 12:30 PM

Oct 2007
Absolutely_Steve said:

Director: What about we make a show that doesn't suppose to make sense?

Staff: That is quite an idea, lets do it. But how do we start it?

Director: Umm... We should start it with something that doesn't really make sense and then turn it into something that make no sense at all.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 27, 2008 12:54 PM

Feb 2008
Man, what a fucked up future.
WTF is going on there.
It's time for some explanation.
Oct 27, 2008 1:03 PM

Jan 2008
what is that thing that makes no sense at all?! It has been a really well-thought storyline we hade so far, and whats wrong about being a samurai vampire?! Anyways, there are still many questions that hopefully will get answers in the next eps, but only complaint i have about this show is the odd flow, and for this episode, the extremely skinny legs XD And i got quite surprised when Kurou got the gun, and without a seconds thought fired it, wasnt he supposed to be unaware of such technological devices? Or is he ultra quick at picking up new things ?!?! :S Anyway, great episode in general, but seeing that monster-like thing made me somewhat uneasy ^^
Oct 27, 2008 2:27 PM
Oct 2007
*thought it's been pretty easy to follow.*

They start with Yoshitsune time, skip a bit in history in the second epi, then goes a bit further to show the samurai escaped to the hut, then goes back to yoshi.'s time for the second part of the second episode. Rest is future japan after the meteor. His flashback to kuromitsu getting shot is before epi 3's time but after ancient japan, probably after the nuclear winter ended. Hence how kuro ended up seperated at this point.
Oct 27, 2008 3:09 PM
Dec 2007
Huh yeah, for now, it's not the most complex show I've watched, it's actually pretty understandable if you catch the right timelines and follow the character evolution. And this episode was nothing less than fantastic, especially thanks to the direction and sound design which are still absurdly good.

I usually don't like these types of show (violence + sex + samurais and/or vampires), but it's so cleanly done and so brilliantly written this time that I can't really dislike it. Makes me think of a mix between Death Note (same director and same atmosphere) and Texhnolyze (easy to catch the similarities too) with a bit of Ninja Scroll.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 27, 2008 3:39 PM

May 2008
Siva said:
Absolutely_Steve said:

Director: What about we make a show that doesn't suppose to make sense?

Staff: That is quite an idea, lets do it. But how do we start it?

Director: Umm... We should start it with something that doesn't really make sense and then turn it into something that make no sense at all.

If this was the plan then they've done a good job of it. At first we had him fleeing from what he thought were soldiers sent by his brother to kill him, except they were actually samurai zombies sent by ??? that had that damn symbol we keep seeing on them. Then ??? apparently brainwashed Benkei who we will probably never see again after he cut Kuro's head off. Now a post-apocalyptic world has come about as a result of countries with nuclear arms not knowing how the hell to fire them upward despite having the technology to build them. Plus Kuromitsu is still being chased by ??? who also seem to be randomly murdering people and have that weird general guy who would fit in well as a Street Fighter character.

The only thing I'm worried about with this series is that eventually it will run out of ways to be completely ridiculous.
Absolutely_SteveOct 27, 2008 3:43 PM
Oct 27, 2008 4:02 PM
Dec 2007
Oh God, that was amazing.
Need more fighting scenes.
Oct 27, 2008 4:24 PM

Jun 2007
Summary: The episode started rather randomly, with some sort of armed forces (known as the Red Imperial Army) slaughtering the innocent whilst vampire hunting.

The focus quickly switched to Kuro, who was walking around aimlessly, lost in the new world he found himself in. Kuro then had his sword stolen by a pickpocket. Luckily for Kuro, a random investigator helped get him his sword back, and the random investigator then took Kuro to a bar. Kuro was told a story at the bar about an asteroid and nuclear war, the investigator explaining how the world had gotten itself destroyed. Kuro had a sort of flashback/vision during the story; a flashback where Kuromitsu talked to him and was then shot off the edge of a cliff by the armed forces that were shown at the start of the episode.

The armed forces continued slaughtering random people whilst seemingly looking for Kuro. The armed forces soon moved onto the bar where Kuro was hiding behind a wall in. Just when the armed forces were about to leave, Kuro killed them after he saw that they had the same markings on their armour that Benkei had on his hand when he chopped Kuro's head off. Then, after Kuro had finished killing the armed forces, Benkei the 7th arrived, looking like Brandon Heat, and owned Kuro. The episode ended with Kuro sucking the blood of one of the armed forces members he'd killed in order to heal his wounds.

Thoughts: EP3 turned out to be the least interesting of the 3 episodes so far. Compared to the near incomprehensible second episode, the third was straight as an arrow. In all fairness, I would've complained if EP3 had turned out to be the second difficult to follow episode in a row, but it was a little disappointing after the first two episodes.

Episode 1: While easy enough to follow, it was a little confusing since very few details were given about the setting, why monsters were chasing Kuro and why Kuro was so important during that period (the 1200's?).

Episode 2: Events jumped around far too much - one minute the story was in the 1800's (I think?), then back to the 1200's and then the story fast forwarded to a post-apocalyptic future. Adding to the confusion was Benkei, who seemed to have somehow turned into a random samurai in the 1800's after he'd cut off the head of Kuro earlier.

Episode 3: No real twists or turns and the setting was explained, so it was easy to follow. The only noteworthy scene in the episode was the 'flashback' of Kuromitsu getting shot off a cliff.

I hope Kuromitsu returns soon. Kuro is a plain character; he has nothing special about him - Mamoru (sp?) is wasted on him. It was Kuromitsu who carried the main character in the first few episodes, the mystery surrounding her and her hotness making up for the failings of the lead. Sadly, however, I can't see her returning until later since it seems like the baddies captured her at some point...
AironicallyHumanOct 27, 2008 4:30 PM
Oct 27, 2008 4:29 PM

Jun 2007
Absolutely_Steve said:
There is one thing I have to complain about though. What the hell is wrong with the legs of the characters? I noticed it in the first couple episodes, but when I saw this guy's legs I finally had to ask:

I noticed the leg thing for the first time in the scene you capped. It looks horrible, more like they have sticks than flesh and blood legs.

Every secondary character looks like Benkei and legs look horrible. Laziness?

Also, the Shinsen encode is a bit poor, especially in comparison to the HD/upscaled fansubs that are standard these days.
Oct 27, 2008 5:14 PM

Aug 2007
WoW...that was intense.

IMO one of the best (if not the best) anime of this great season.
I really looking forward to the next episode!
Oct 27, 2008 5:23 PM

Oct 2007
This show continues to interest me. I'm loving it so much. It's getting pretty intense too.

Oct 27, 2008 6:53 PM

Jul 2007
I'm loving this series more and more, its been able to hold on to that dark feeling atmosphere pretty well. The slaughter and fight scenes were intense.
Oct 27, 2008 10:14 PM

Dec 2007
It's confusing but I enjoyed it, at least. The fighting scene was good. The storyline was very dark but interesting. Looking forward to more.
Oct 27, 2008 11:35 PM

Oct 2008
oooooo very interesting and awesome episode

im loving the time leap to a post-apocalyptic japan but im still wondering if kuro will ever go back to the his own time period (medieval-feudal japan?)
anyway great episode... that giant just F'd that woman in the beginning, wow can you just stick to the ceiling like that? i guess so
im pretty sure they will do some more explaining about everything but what gets me is how he just picked up that soldiers gun and knew how to use it.. whatever
and hes a vampire... like i didnt know that already by now..
I WANT A PREVIEW OF THE NEXT EPISODE .. *crys*
next episode pleaseeeee
Oct 28, 2008 2:38 AM

Dec 2007
just watched episode 3 and all i have to say is "WOW"
it was just awesome, the best episode so far. it is probably the most violent anime this season.
what i dont get is why are those soldiers killing everyone??
well ill rate this episode a 5 out of 5, it was just an awesome episode and i hope the anime will stay this awesome till it ends ^^
Oct 28, 2008 4:17 AM
Apr 2008
strange It doesnt make sense but on the other hand I liked it o.O
Oct 28, 2008 7:57 AM

Oct 2007
Goku said:
what is that thing that makes no sense at all?! It has been a really well-thought storyline we hade so far, and whats wrong about being a samurai vampire?! Anyways, there are still many questions that hopefully will get answers in the next eps, but only complaint i have about this show is the odd flow, and for this episode, the extremely skinny legs XD And i got quite surprised when Kurou got the gun, and without a seconds thought fired it, wasnt he supposed to be unaware of such technological devices? Or is he ultra quick at picking up new things ?!?! :S Anyway, great episode in general, but seeing that monster-like thing made me somewhat uneasy ^^
LOL then what is the thing that make sense to you? And nobody here is saying there is something wrong with the samurai vampire. And here is the thing that you just said it doesn't make sense to you.
"I got quite surprised when Kurou got the gun, and without a seconds thought fired it, wasnt he supposed to be unaware of such technological devices? Or is he ultra quick at picking up new things ?!?!"

tradedaemon said:

They start with Yoshitsune time, skip a bit in history in the second epi, then goes a bit further to show the samurai escaped to the hut, then goes back to yoshi.'s time for the second part of the second episode. Rest is future japan after the meteor. His flashback to kuromitsu getting shot is before epi 3's time but after ancient japan, probably after the nuclear winter ended. Hence how kuro ended up seperated at this point.
It makes no sense to you and It doesn't make sense me, right?

Absolutely_Steve said:
If this was the plan then they've done a good job of it. At first we had him fleeing from what he thought were soldiers sent by his brother to kill him, except they were actually samurai zombies sent by ??? that had that damn symbol we keep seeing on them. Then ??? apparently brainwashed Benkei who we will probably never see again after he cut Kuro's head off. Now a post-apocalyptic world has come about as a result of countries with nuclear arms not knowing how the hell to fire them upward despite having the technology to build them. Plus Kuromitsu is still being chased by ??? who also seem to be randomly murdering people and have that weird general guy who would fit in well as a Street Fighter character.

The only thing I'm worried about with this series is that eventually it will run out of ways to be completely ridiculous.
Staff: Wow, Director, it was amazing and it didn't make sense to me at all even though I was the one who draw it.

Director: Hehe, you are pretty good I thought you were going to take your time and try to understand it.

Staff: So how do we explain about what was going on from the first 2 episodes?

Director: We will explain it in a way that make no sense to them.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Oct 28, 2008 8:42 AM
Oct 2007
Siva said:

tradedaemon said:

It makes no sense to you and It doesn't make sense me, right?

Guess they did leave the reason out of the anime. Maybe they'll flashback to it, who knows.
Oct 28, 2008 8:52 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
What the hell was that? The first two episodes were so good and now this? Way to go, didn't like this episode at all.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 28, 2008 9:42 AM

May 2008
I feel like it's trying to do too much at once.

Samurai stuff, komet, nuclear war, vampires, robot soldiers, an evil army, immortality, post-apocalypict future, a winter of 2and a half years, population reduced to 1%.

But still I love all this stuff, so combined it should be even more awsome, as long as they work out a good story. Up to now I like it. Only it's a pity how he knew how to use a gun, but seeing the scene (I think flashback) of kuromitsu I think he already had quite some history behind him while not sleeping (I mean he was wearing clothes altho he got decapitated when he was naked). So it can be explained.
Oct 28, 2008 10:11 AM

Apr 2008
I'm actually enjoying this series a lot. It got me confused with the time I have to admit it, but after a couple of minutes I got like "oh okay that's the future". Pretty well made, the city, I love the dark heavy feeling attached to it.
The new characters seem cool ^_^

That legs thing, I noticed it too, it looks like they were a little lazy with that =P it kinda hurts the eyes after such an awsome animation
Oct 28, 2008 2:18 PM

Jun 2008
one word.....

SICK!!!!!!!
Oct 28, 2008 3:00 PM

Oct 2007
angel999 said:

I WAS HAPPY that Kuro KILLED THOSE SOB SOLDIERS! That fight was amazing MINUS THE COLORING........it was nice art but MAN IT WAS A LITTLE HARD on the eyes for the details to be grasped of the battle! WOW GREAT BLOOD SPLATTER! CRAZY SHIT!

What, the coloring is awesome, you have no taste
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 28, 2008 5:53 PM

Mar 2008
Yeh i really love the artwork during battles.
Well this episode throws a lot in my face, for now i'm gonna say he woke up with clothes (that magically appeared) he's roaming about, has weird visions about Kuromitsu and is now involved in some weird ppl vs army war. I'm just gonna stick with that untill more explanation follows.
But still a decent episode!

MAL list updates
Oct 29, 2008 3:36 PM

Oct 2008
The whole post-apocalyptic and army feel is very interesting, it did kinda have a Casshern Sins feel for a minute there. Loving it so far. [:

Oct 31, 2008 1:42 PM

Dec 2007
Awesome episode but WEIRD !
Oct 31, 2008 2:02 PM

Jun 2007
I dont understand some points at the timeline but im still liking it.
tradedaemon said:
Bah, doesn't even feel like he's longing fer Kuromitsu, just shuffling along.

Dunno about the manga but yeah i thought he was looking for her :/
Nov 1, 2008 11:24 AM

Feb 2008
lol what is this? Samurai Jack?
Nov 2, 2008 8:45 PM

Sep 2008
What an interesting twist of plot. It kinds just jumped a good amout of years (maybe?) but I must say I like this current plot. I didn't know where they would go after 2 but they just changed to this. Kinda unexpected but good.
Nov 5, 2008 2:14 AM

Jan 2008
Metroid_Ex said:
angel999 said:

I WAS HAPPY that Kuro KILLED THOSE SOB SOLDIERS! That fight was amazing MINUS THE COLORING........it was nice art but MAN IT WAS A LITTLE HARD on the eyes for the details to be grasped of the battle! WOW GREAT BLOOD SPLATTER! CRAZY SHIT!

What, the coloring is awesome, you have no taste

Different strokes for different folks.

It's very artistic but I like the kind of fight scenes shown in episode 1. It was hellish fights to me. The feeling of excitement in the chase, and the animation was just awesome.
Nov 6, 2008 12:39 PM

Apr 2007
Orange-kun said:
lol what is this? Samurai Jack?

wtf I thought I was the only one who was wondering where this guy was:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What happened after the first two episodes?

removed-user - Mar 2

4 by wiederherr »»
Mar 5, 11:51 AM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tradedaemon - Dec 24, 2008

151 by akiraic »»
Feb 23, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 7 Discussion

kie_ - Nov 20, 2008

41 by iChante »»
Sep 1, 2022 2:14 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 7, 2008

96 by Ballisto »»
Jan 25, 2021 9:03 PM

Poll: » Kurozuka Episode 8 Discussion

slayer545-sama - Nov 28, 2008

37 by OweynLupton »»
Jul 25, 2020 7:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.