Forum Settings
Forums
Sep 10, 2012 3:15 AM

Was just wondering about NHK, does the manga or novel have more story than the anime. Like would either one be worth reading after seeing the anime?

Also any other anime like NHK would be cool too

Thanks

Sep 10, 2012 7:15 AM

Can't answer the first part since I only watched the anime. The only story that reminded me of Welcome to the NHK! was a manga called Onani Master Kurosawa.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Sep 10, 2012 7:41 AM

Watch the anime then watch the manga :) I've seen both and the manga sort of continues from the anime and has a different ending.

Sep 11, 2012 12:08 AM

spinecollect said:
Watch the anime then watch the manga :) I've seen both and the manga sort of continues from the anime and has a different ending.

Excellent! Thanks I will check it out

Holybaptiser said:
Can't answer the first part since I only watched the anime. The only story that reminded me of Welcome to the NHK! was a manga called Onani Master Kurosawa.

Thanks, I will check it out

Sep 11, 2012 12:41 AM

The book, anime, and manga are each really a different version of the story. They each have something the other doesn't (the book: drugs, anime: misc. stuff, manga: lengthier, etc.). The anime follows the book more closely than the manga, but incorporates some stuff from the manga. The manga adds a bunch of stuff by splitting off into a completely different direction where the book and anime end. I recommend them all.

Sep 11, 2012 8:52 AM

I haven't read the manga yet, but I have seen the anime first and then read the novel.

I actually was surprised to see that the novel didn't have some excellent scenes from the anime and the whole story is somewhat different. I'd say I'm very glad to have read the novel since it's so much more true to the author and the afterword is very heartbreaking, too.

It's funny how I usually consider anime are less profound than novels or manga, but with NHK, even though there is the ''television broadcast rules'' aspect which limits the crudest subjects of the story, there was still some essential scenes worth watching that I haven't read in the novel. I don't know if they'll be in the manga, though, I have yet to look it up.

From what I can tell so far, I'd suggest the same thing; watch the anime and then read the novel. And please do read the novel! It's absolutely worth it.