Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 10, 2012 1:57 AM

May 2010
that was a scumbag move right there satoshi is a rat basterd for that, Oreki should have sluged him one.
Sep 10, 2012 2:19 AM

Jul 2012
So sad yet so great. I don't want it to finish.
Sep 10, 2012 2:27 AM

Sep 2009
This episode shows that Oreki can mess you up if u ever get on his bad side. He didn't punch Satoshi, just giving him a light punch on the back of his thick skull, like what a bro would do. If it were someone else. Oreki would definitley not hesitate to use all his energy to throw a punch at someones face and I can see that happening if anyone were to hurt Chitanda :P
DeathRyuSep 10, 2012 2:37 AM
Sep 10, 2012 2:49 AM

Jun 2009
Pretty much guessed that Satoshi will be the culprit of something as soon as Oreki made remarks about his old "Obsess" self...

Satoshi's an odd-ball, I don't understand him.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2012 3:00 AM

Jul 2012
That ep was TOO GOOD. Really sad next week is the last one.

Pretty sure the 24 episodes thing is wrong, there's only going to be 22 (+ the OVA). It's already been confirmed that there's 11 volumes of the BD, which is 2 episodes per BD = 22.
Sep 10, 2012 3:08 AM

Jan 2012
A pretty good episode. I wonder what was Satoshis answer. In any case, looking forward to next episode.

Sep 10, 2012 3:24 AM
Jul 2018
Kinda sad episode.
Sep 10, 2012 4:12 AM

May 2011
satoshi is a bloody ass -_- but i'm glad oreki talked him through and it seemed like he finally made up his mind at the end of the episode, which is sweet.

Once again oreki showed everyone who's a boss, in this episode we got to see different kinds of oreki, him showing his care towards chitanda, being considerate of mayaka, as well as being a bro to satoshi with all the bro talk. Despite all the energy saving thing, oreki's the boss.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 10, 2012 4:16 AM

Aug 2012
I woulda been slightly miffed if that was the last episode. Aaaand then MAL updates with episode 22 plus a preview.
Sep 10, 2012 5:28 AM

Jun 2010
Well, it was obvious from the start who took the chocolate, but dang, was it another great episode. I tend to love the 2nd-to-main couples and Satoshi-Mayaka is no exception.

Hyouka's not afraid of making the characters feel more than just your standard things. You couldn't explain Satoshi's motives with one word, it's more complicated than that. Very much truth in television and I love it!
Sep 10, 2012 5:37 AM

May 2012
Satoshi's one Fidiot
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Sep 10, 2012 5:46 AM

Dec 2011
Satoshi really is a scumbag. But I liked this episode though.
And I'm so freakin' happy that Hyouka will have one more episode.
Sep 10, 2012 6:35 AM

Aug 2011
I liked this episode. It's interesting to learn a little bit about the relationship between Mayaka and Satoshi. And even if the latter was an idiot in this episode, somehow it made me like him even more.

Another episode to the series. I am excited!
Sep 10, 2012 7:27 AM

Oct 2010
After reading all about Satoshi I wonder if Ibara will force kiss him and straighten him up.

Did she not slap him already? Should that not have waken him up a little? Guess it takes more. Satoshi might be thickheaded in this episode more than before in this whole series.

What do you think but most of all why this attitude of his. Fear of his own confidence betraying him or just plain fear of his own feelings being thrown out? This is really a good complex of this episode to analyze of Satoshi and I am having with my brain on that one. Hence this writing.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Sep 10, 2012 7:40 AM

Nov 2007
Shames! I'm sooooo much inlove with Eru in this episode! WTH?! EruxHoutarou's scenes are damnn nice! I feel like there would be something with the finale episode next week.. 'cant wait to watch it though I feel sad because that will be the last..

Ibara x Fukube's story is nice too. This just shows how unsure a person can be when it comes to love. I like Fukube's point of view, somehow. BUT I also like Ibara's attitude.

10/10 for this episode. SuperNice! :D
Sep 10, 2012 7:42 AM

Nov 2008
Had already expected Satoshi to be the "thief" right from the start. More Oreki x Chitanda scenes pls.
Sep 10, 2012 7:46 AM

Mar 2012
Sort-of @Yume, sort-of @thread

The way he tried to explain himself makes absolutely no sense. First of all, the majority of people lose their competitive nature when they grow up, because they realize they'll never be the best at most things, or anything, and that's just how life is. That has nothing to do with going from "being obsessed with things" to "being obsessed with nothing", which I would argue is not even a real state of mind, or is at best a very loose description. Secondly, he clearly is "obsessed" with Mayaka already, so he's wrong about himself. Thirdly, his state of contentment should put him in a better position to be in a relationship, his past overly competitive nature might have gotten in the way. He's just obsessed with being an idiot, is all.

I can understand him wanting to be a "free spirit" that isn't tied down to anyone one person, or interest, but he should realize that he is quite attached to his friends/Mayaka, more so than he would like to believe.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 10, 2012 8:05 AM
Jan 2011
I hate Chitanda.
Nasty001Sep 10, 2012 9:45 AM
Sep 10, 2012 8:09 AM

Oct 2008
I used to play VirtualOn too <3
Good times.
Sep 10, 2012 8:29 AM
Nov 2011
The first episode with actual character development, and it's the second to last.
Sep 10, 2012 9:14 AM

Jun 2012
I'm beginning to dislike Hyouka more and more. The first stets of EP's is was really excited about it but this Anime becomes more boring nearing the end. I'm just really disappointed right now.I hope the Finale can change my opinion.
Sep 10, 2012 9:44 AM

Jan 2011
Post-Josh said:

The way he tried to explain himself makes absolutely no sense. First of all, the majority of people lose their competitive nature when they grow up, because they realize they'll never be the best at most things, or anything, and that's just how life is. That has nothing to do with going from "being obsessed with things" to "being obsessed with nothing", which I would argue is not even a real state of mind, or is at best a very loose description. Secondly, he clearly is "obsessed" with Mayaka already, so he's wrong about himself. Thirdly, his state of contentment should put him in a better position to be in a relationship, his past overly competitive nature might have gotten in the way. He's just obsessed with being an idiot, is all.

I can understand him wanting to be a "free spirit" that isn't tied down to anyone one person, or interest, but he should realize that he is quite attached to his friends/Mayaka, more so than he would like to believe.

That's what Hyouka is good about, character development. Although I believe in everything you said, I'm pretty sure he's just being blind to the fact that he don't want Mayaka to lost interest in him, we've already seen what happened when Oreki outgrows him in the "detective" department, it could be possible that he just don't want to get hurt again, which is somewhat ridiculous.
Sep 10, 2012 10:11 AM

Jan 2008
Ep 22.... wuuuuuut????
Sep 10, 2012 10:16 AM

Nov 2008
I'd like to punch Chitanda in the face.
Sep 10, 2012 10:41 AM

Jun 2012
Bunns said:

I had the same feeling XD
Sep 10, 2012 10:55 AM

Feb 2012
Man I don't know how to put it into words but I really loved this episode! Its my favorite episode out of the series now! I really hope we get some kind of relationship development with chitanda and oreki! Hopefully Mayaka and Satoshi as well. I really hope the last episode is something worth remembering. Something to end the series with a bang! I'm going to be sad once its over =/.
Sep 10, 2012 11:31 AM

Sep 2012
THis was a great episode after the latest flunks, I loved it! I just wanted to burst out in tears the last quarter

also my otp just sunk and I'm sad now
stopgapSep 10, 2012 3:37 PM
Sep 10, 2012 12:01 PM

Jan 2011
Bunns said:

1. Download a big high resolution Chitanda image
2. Put it fullscreen
3. Punch it.
4. ???
5. Profit.
6. May repeat as much as you want. New monitor costs may vary.
Sep 10, 2012 12:10 PM

Nov 2009
SantaPoncho said:
Bunns said:

I had the same feeling XD

Try it if you met her irl. I doubt you would have the courage after seeing her teary eyes.

Agree that Satoshi's development is kinda weird in this episode though. He knew he has changed, but he doesn't sure whether his changes are good, or bad. So he's afraid of being in a relationship with Mayaka.

Oreki should have punched him in da face to force him realize it, rather than let him realized it himself.
Sep 10, 2012 12:17 PM

Sep 2010
Nice episode, Episode was mostly dedicated to SatoshixMayaka. But Satoshi's reasoning was just absurd.

Sep 10, 2012 12:46 PM

May 2012
THough you know from the beginning that Satoshi did it (at least me) this was a great episode ^^
Chitanda raged and oreki had some nice expressions ^__^

Overdramatised but good :)
beep
Sep 10, 2012 1:14 PM

Aug 2010
What is this sorcery?!? I was pretty sure there were only 21 eps O__O well I'm quite glad ^__^

Next episode...I really want a conclusive Oreki x Chitanda :3
Sep 10, 2012 1:23 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode, very atmospheric. Chitanda's hollow look almost gave me the goosebumps.
Sep 10, 2012 1:53 PM

Dec 2010
When I got to the point where Oreki confronted Satoshi. I was thinking what Satoshi did was quite horrible.
I guess eventually Satoshi will accept Mayaka as it seems he likes her as well, his just being stubborn about his personality. Or he might have already accepted her from the phone call he made at the end.

I'm looking forward to the final episode. I wonder how this will end.
Sep 10, 2012 3:12 PM

Jul 2012
Dark Eru sure scares me.

So I'm guessing Mayaka and Satoshi are an item now? That's good.

Last episode should wrap up the other pairing. ;D
Sep 10, 2012 3:14 PM

Aug 2011
wow wtf satoshi....it would be nice if they got together :c
Sep 10, 2012 3:25 PM

Sep 2011
dammit satoshi i'm in love
Sep 10, 2012 3:36 PM
Dec 2011
I'm glad that was not the last episode
Sep 10, 2012 4:36 PM

Oct 2011
something died inside me after finishing this ep. i really like the show and i'm so happy that there's another episode >.>

and lol at Houtaro at the end, i'm sure he felt bitter while eating those chocolate.
Nope.
Sep 10, 2012 4:40 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
This is for Satoshi:

Sep 10, 2012 4:43 PM

Mar 2012
Hekshi_Sekshi said:
dammit satoshi i'm in love

Are you serious? I'd roundhouse someone if they said that with a straight face.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 10, 2012 5:59 PM

Jul 2011
Even Houtarou doesn't understand Satoshi's mind...

I said everything.
Sep 10, 2012 7:10 PM
Sep 2009
tsubasalover said:
Stark700 said:

Ya, I thought so too but apparently, next week is the finale.

Tyrel said:

Ehhh weird. http://animecalendar.net/ also shows it for 24 episodes atm, but IMO it will end at 22 truly.

Either way, I think the series' climax has been finished, and maybe it's just random eps. with the main guy doing the detective things until the end. (Just a thought from a person who don't read the original work/novel)

I agree that the climax is past but I don't think the episodes are pointless right now. I think they're wrapping stuff up like the relationship between satoshi and mayaka for one and how the relationship has progressed between oreki and Chitanda. Not to mention Oreki's slight change in personality too. It's an important calm. :)
Sep 10, 2012 8:26 PM

Apr 2012
WOW WOW WOW WOW THIS MADE ME REALLY ASKJDLASKFJ.
There was so MUCH of satoshi we were able to see today. he apparently doesn't like being obsessed with things so that is why he couldn't accept mayaka's chocolate. the fact still remains that he still wants to be with her. this side seemed a bit insane in my opinion, but it was interesting.
there was also the character development in oreki, how he wanted to find out who stole it and his reaction towards it, threatening to hit fukube if his reason was not valid enough.
Last episode soon and i cannot wait to see what's in store <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2012 9:29 PM

Oct 2011
Meg-nyan said:
WOW WOW WOW WOW THIS MADE ME REALLY ASKJDLASKFJ.
There was so MUCH of satoshi we were able to see today. he apparently doesn't like being obsessed with things so that is why he couldn't accept mayaka's chocolate. the fact still remains that he still wants to be with her. this side seemed a bit insane in my opinion, but it was interesting.
there was also the character development in oreki, how he wanted to find out who stole it and his reaction towards it, threatening to hit fukube if his reason was not valid enough.
Last episode soon and i cannot wait to see what's in store <3

It's pretty simple, and not insane :

- he hate an old part of his personality
- he fear that if he commit himself to a relationship, this part of him will reawake
=> he avoid the issue

He can't say no to mayaka, because he loves her, but he can't say yes, because he is afraid of himself. So he did find every excuse possible to not answer

His fear may be irrationnal, but the avoidance behaviour is extremly common in real life
Sep 11, 2012 3:00 AM

Sep 2011
I'd guessed it was Satoshi the entire time xD I think SatoshixMayaka was really well depicted in this episode though, I loved the episode.
"Now's the time for you to run towards the day you awaken from this dream."

~Boys be Smile
Sep 11, 2012 6:28 AM

Jul 2010
Satoshi and his thinking....I don't blame Houtarou for not understanding either.
Sep 11, 2012 7:07 AM

Nov 2010
So many theories and drama
Somehow I knew the chocolate was in the bag, once it was shown the first time
2 bad its going to end next week :(
Sep 11, 2012 7:07 AM

Jan 2008
The case of stolen chocolate was quite obvious, but I still enjoyed the episode. Satoshi's thinking is interesting :)
Sep 11, 2012 7:25 AM

Jul 2010
Post-Josh said:

Congratulations, you don't have any issues with OCD. Perhapse I took his comments about obsession to have a more pathological nature, but people that tend toward OCD are at a whole different level when it comes to "obsessing" over things. In other words, it wasn't about competitiveness, it was about obsession. He has been trying to avoid situations where he would obsess over things, to the point that it has become an obsession itself, which is pathological from my point of view. The fact that his obsession about avoiding obsession has ended up hurting a young lady whom he confessed to his best friend that he loves suggests that it is a problem.

egoplant said:
The first episode with actual character development, and it's the second to last.

You seem to have been watching a different show that I. Perhaps this is the first one with explicit character development that the characters talked about on the screen, but there has been plenty of character development along the way. Mayaka, Eru, Satoshi, and Houtarou have all developed a lot, but Houtarou the most of all of them. His friends have even commented on it, to the point of teasing him about being ill when he wants to go to the library to look something up a few episodes ago.

This was a good episode in terms of explaining Satoshi's behavior in earlier episodes. In particular, it explains why he had such rigid control of himself after figuring out that he was trying to compete with Houtarou and the snide, snarky prick that he was in the trivia contest with. At one point he seemed to force himself to stop, which makes more sense now.

I don't really understand all of the Chitanda hate in the forums. Sure, she was a bit of a prick to people in this episode, but she was completely distraught over the fact that she thought she was responsible for Mayaka's hand made chocolate being "stolen". It was not only was it her best friend's expression of love to the guy she has crushed on for years. Since her family traditions preclude her doing things like giving gifts on Valentine's Day, I think she also was treating Myaka's chocolate as a symbolic replacement for her desire to express her feelings to a certain someone that she is still too shy to even tell her Mayaka that she likes. (I'm guessing her family is fairly strict on Japanese traditions, since they are an old family with roots that reach way back into the edo period, live in a traditional Japanese estate, and have traditionally been the family that represents all the people of the area in presenting gifts to the "local gods" at festival times. That was what she was doing in episode 19, by the way, presenting a bottle of sake at the shrine as an offering. That is why she was so worried about bringing shame to her father by being caught in a compromising situation.)

The biggest thing that happened in this episode, in my opinion, was how angry the normally laid back Houtarou got at Satoshi because of the fact that his stupidity hurt Eru. Yes, it has been clear for a very long time that he is in love with her, from the first episode really, but even more so through the cultural festival arc. The fact that he flat out told Mayaka that she is someone he cannot say no to sealed the deal. This is further evidence that he has fallen beyond the point of no return. He just told his best friend that his hurting Chitanda was something he couldn't abide. That is just one step away from a confession! (Or maybe two episodes away... but I expect there will be a movie for that...)

1lau said:
So many theories and drama
Somehow I knew the chocolate was in the bag, once it was shown the first time
2 bad its going to end next week :(

ANN reports it as 24 episodes now, with the final air-date being 9/30/2012. (But both this site and ANN are user edited, so who knows.)
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.