Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 9, 2012 5:42 PM

Oct 2010
Kurini said:
bastek66 said:

hey hey, what happened? Will this happen next week? hohoho
Looks to me like a play and it looks like a better occasion for more Eru x Oreki.
Takana_no_Hana said:
vansonbee said:
I like this episode, it shows Satoshi weakness and bad traits. He loves Mayaka, but he is afraid of becoming who he was before. An obsessive person, who is indifference than the free spirit person he is now.

I'm glad at least Satoshi does not have another love interest, he is just post-poneing the unenviable result. Time to grow up Satoshi.

@Yumekichi11 - a possible second season will appear? I thought this series went through the whole novel already, but I'm happy it hasn't! This show is popular, so I'm positive it will get another season.

Nope, kyo ani will have another project for the up coming season.
They haven't announce the 2nd season for Hyouka. If you want another season, you will have to wait for at least 1 more year.

We need more Oreki x Eru screen time and developments!!!!!!!!!!
But that's the thing there is stuff for a S2 and no need for "OMG what am I going to do if it does not get a S2." Trust me! It will and there is loads of stuff for it. Just the wait is a bitch TBH. Well it will be worth it for better Eru x Oreki moments.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Sep 9, 2012 5:46 PM

Mar 2012
I'm guessing they are going to cliffhanger this series. Judging from where they are in the LN, it appears there is one chapter left in the 4th Volume. There is still a 5th Volume...but I am not sure if the series ends there or if that is all that has been published so far. I haven't read the LN, I'm just going off what Baka-Tsuki's website is telling me.

Even if this is a 24 episode anime, it'll seem a bit rushed if they try and fit an entire Volume of content into 2 episodes. It makes me wonder if they'll save Volume 5 for a 2nd Season...but if that's the case, it might take a while because another Volume would probably have to be finished in order to provide enough content for a 2nd season.

Ah man, it just seems like the Hyouka LN and Anime are in such an awkward situation that nobody really knows what they should do.
Sep 9, 2012 5:49 PM

Oct 2010
Toucanbird said:
I'm guessing they are going to cliffhanger this series. Judging from where they are in the LN, it appears there is one chapter left in the 4th Volume. There is still a 5th Volume...but I am not sure if the series ends there or if that is all that has been published so far. I haven't read the LN, I'm just going off what Baka-Tsuki's website is telling me.

Even if this is a 24 episode anime, it'll seem a bit rushed if they try and fit an entire Volume of content into 2 episodes. It makes me wonder if they'll save Volume 5 for a 2nd Season...but if that's the case, it might take a while because another Volume would probably have to be finished in order to provide enough content for a 2nd season.

Ah man, it just seems like the Hyouka LN and Anime are in such an awkward situation that nobody really knows what they should do.
I was thinking it had more volumes than that. Yeah they should do at least another season with Vol 5 and 6 but with no skipping it can make another 22 episodes most likely. That being said the cramming might be to finish the arc itself.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Sep 9, 2012 5:54 PM

Apr 2012
So, that's why Satoshi x Mayaka wasn't that much stressed out in the series, it's known since the past before. ^^
However Satoshi's behaving like an asshole again.. he truly doesn't deserve such a devoted girl like Mayaka. That poor girl. :(
He should really watch out, Mayaka looks terryfying when really angry.

And it would also be better not to hurt Eru in the process, that's something Houtarou doesn't like, apparently.^^
Ah, that moment of silence..

..resulting in looking in different directions. So funny! :D

And to top all that a 22nd episode (at least)! More time for Houtarou x Eru. Yaaay. \o/
Seriously, this weeks anime efforts were absolutely fantastic!
Sep 9, 2012 5:54 PM

Nov 2011
As Eru would say:

"Watashi kininarimasu for Season 2!
Sep 9, 2012 5:56 PM

Mar 2012
Wow, that was a fantastic, intense, emotionally-charged episode. It was also my favorite one yet. This had an extensive amount of exceptional character development, particularly with the considerable insight into Satoshi. I felt that the story impressively weaved between a large variety of emotions and scenery quite briskly, making for a highly engaging episode.

The larger focus on Satoshi and Mayaka was welcome here, and it seems that they have a far more complicated relationship than Chitanda and Oreki. Said relationship development was fantastically thorough and refreshingly complex, never slipping into peaceful, simple conclusions, but allowing for some natural conflicts to arise, however temporary those might have been. It was great to see that Satoshi does, in fact, have significant feelings for Mayaka, and, after having stolen the chocolate and hurting her and Chitanda in the process, the moment where he finally calls Ibara towards the end, likely explaining to her what he had just told Oreki, was quite satisfying and an optimistic note to end that particular story-line on.

There was this subtly melancholic atmosphere that permeated through the entire episode, from the theft of the chocolate to the final word spoken by Oreki - "Bitter", that amazingly highlighted specific emotions, causing them to strongly resonate. The conversation/argument on the bridge between Satoshi and Oreki was a brilliant, excellently directed scene, in which a plethora of various, complicated emotions were briefly touched upon in a particularly graceful manner, allowing for every tiny flicker of emotion to be plainly visible. Once again, the music accompanied this and many other scenes wonderfully, very effectively setting the tone for many scenes.

The extremely high quality of the animation continues here, and it's really incredible how impressively masterful that element consistently is. I felt this episode was paced quite nicely, never lingering for too long on one moment or faltering into a slightly dull monotony, and I thought this episode's mystery, though predictable, was quite interesting, due to the rather personal nature of it compared to most others.

Oreki was great throughout this entire episode, as he seemed even more like a detective than usual. It was particularly nice to see how concerned he was that Chitanda had been emotionally hurt. I'm hoping for more romantic development with their relationship in the last episode, and, judging from the preview, it looks to be a distinct possibility.

All in all, Hyouka delivers another terrific episode, and it was likely the best Valentine episode I've seen, due to it's impressive handling of these characters, their relationships, and their emotions. It really is a shame that there's only one episode left, as this is easily one of my favorite shows of the year. As such, I expect it to provide a thoroughly satisfying and excellent conclusion.
Lelouch22Sep 9, 2012 6:45 PM
Sep 9, 2012 6:01 PM

Jun 2010
OMG. VIRTUAL 2. How nostalgic. I used to play that every week in the gaming center when I was young. The pink robot was my favorite. She is strong even though she shoots hearts.

Wow, did Eru just told Mayaka that she likes Oreki?

Lol at Oreki's sister's choco.

Mad Sawakiguchi <3

What an emotional episode. Oreki saying "bitter" at the end. Argh. Will the Anime end without any conclusion to Eru x Oreki? :(
Sep 9, 2012 6:04 PM
Jun 2011
You guys do realize they could make a movie out of the last volume and not need to make a season 2 riight?
Sep 9, 2012 6:09 PM
Oct 2010
-MgZ_ said:
She also cryptically told Oreki not to worry about not receiving chocolates from her since she doesn't give gifts to people she feels close to, according to her family customs. XD
Engix said:
You guys do realize they could make a movie out of the last volume and not need to make a season 2 riight?
Or, they could wait till the author releases more volumes in order to have a regular season, as long as this one sells fine... though who knows how long that could take.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Sep 9, 2012 6:20 PM

Feb 2012
Jeez Louise, Chitanda went bananas in this episode, just look at her eyes.

I don't like how they foreshadow/hint/whatever you want to call it Oreki x Chitanda, it's pretty damn late to do it now of all times when we are this close to the end.
Sep 9, 2012 6:27 PM

Jul 2012
Ajunky said:
-MgZ_ said:
She also cryptically told Oreki not to worry about not receiving chocolates from her since she doesn't give gifts to people she feels close to, according to her family customs. XD
I miss those ... I need to rewatch.

She indeed did! That ribbon buying scene was cut after she opened her mount (looked like it started with O ...) and that conversation when they were walking to school. Wow, just wow.

Thanks for that! ^_^
sikachuuuSep 9, 2012 6:39 PM

Toshino Kyoko!!!
Sep 9, 2012 6:35 PM

Jan 2011
they tease Oreki x eru so much this season but straight up and went and did
-MgZ_ said:
OMG. VIRTUAL 2. How nostalgic. I used to play that every week in the gaming center when I was young. The pink robot was my favorite. She is strong even though she shoots hearts.
:(

funny i used to play the big huge one oreki was using haha

but Satoshi what a dick this time around even if he was just scared of changing back to his old self he almost made two girls cry in the process still wanted him to get hit at that point hopefully he gave the right answer :_:.

mad senpai and Oreki in his unbuttoned Trench coat was great he kinda looked like a detective for once
Sep 9, 2012 6:39 PM

Dec 2011
Awww...

I can't stress enought how amazing this series is...

I will miss it once it ends...
Sep 9, 2012 6:47 PM

Sep 2007
Overly melodramatic. And Chitanda of course, getting ahead of herself as usual. This would be a terrible end if it was the end of the show but apparently there's one more episode.
Sep 9, 2012 7:22 PM

Aug 2011
Oh my God, I was thinking that this was the last episode - I saw the ending and raged. I feel so bad for Mayaka and can relate to her in a personal level. Fuck Satoshi. And dammit, I wanted more Oreki and Chitanda!
Sep 9, 2012 7:40 PM

Jan 2008
Dick move on Satoshi's part...like Oreki asked; should have really considered the girl's feelings first, rather than put off telling Mayaka what needed to be told for so long.

I wonder when they're going to have Oreki x Chitanda OTP officially.

Also, Oreki just looks too damn good in his trench coat...makes me want one now.
Estoy_GordoSep 9, 2012 7:46 PM
Sep 9, 2012 7:44 PM

Dec 2007
Eh. Doesn't look like we're going to get an epic end or anything to this series...
Sep 9, 2012 7:44 PM

Feb 2012
"With warm and tender pity" LOL. Oreki's sister is win. She needs to be featured more.

So glad there's another episode after this. This was an overly dramatic episode, but it was still damn entertaining for me. I hope Satoshi accepted Mayaka's feelings in the end.
Sep 9, 2012 7:47 PM

Jul 2009
Wow this episode was very well written. Satoshi is still one of the most interesting character for me. He's ordinary, but at the same time, extraordinary. It's a shame that the relationship between Satoshi and Oreki (i.e. the 'rivalry', or 'jealousy' if you will) wasn't further developed.

Nonetheless, this series was amazing and I'm looking forward to the finale.
Sep 9, 2012 7:56 PM
May 2012
What was it that Satoshi said at the end of the festival arc about expectations?

This show continually surpasses my expectations.
Sep 9, 2012 7:58 PM

Mar 2012
Well, Satoshi is pretty dumb. That was awful, awful reasoning and they tried, in vain, to make his personality look way less shallow than it actually is. Mayaka's not much better for going along with it. It was pretty hilarious when Chi yelled "GIVE BACK THE CHOCOLATE" though, haha. Definitely the highlight.
JoshSep 9, 2012 8:02 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 9, 2012 8:03 PM

Feb 2009
Incredible episode. This show is best when it focuses on the characters.

Satoshi, now that I think about it, is very unlikable and quite the asshole. I'm unable to sympathize much with him here. He's interesting though, I enjoy watching him.

Nice to see more Oreki/Chitanda hints. Looks like Chitanda definitely likes him, and Oreki was pretty protective of her in this episode for his standards.
Sep 9, 2012 8:07 PM

Jun 2012
Does anybody else suspect that Satoshi's answer was a "no"? I feel like it was because of the obvious foreshadowing at the end; when Houtarou took a bite of his sister's chocolate directly after Satoshi's call to Mayaka and calling it "bitter."

I really hope it isn't a negative answer because I would love to see this story proceed but I just feel like Satoshi's not prepared.
Sep 9, 2012 9:12 PM

Jan 2012
Pheneks said:
Does anybody else suspect that Satoshi's answer was a "no"? I feel like it was because of the obvious foreshadowing at the end; when Houtarou took a bite of his sister's chocolate directly after Satoshi's call to Mayaka and calling it "bitter."

I really hope it isn't a negative answer because I would love to see this story proceed but I just feel like Satoshi's not prepared.

hmm that could be it, but i thought it was because Oreki did not get any chocolate besides from his sister who wrote that she gave him one bar of chocolate "with warm and tender pity"
Sep 9, 2012 9:23 PM

May 2008
Sad when i realized what Satoshi is going through, he does not want to be the person he used to be obsessed with everything, He couldnt handle it, not many people can handle such strong emotions. For that he does not want to get together with Mayaka. Still he loves her , which kind of sucks cause either way Satoshi isnt gonna be happy. It seems through the whole season Satoshi has been hiding such feelings inside of him . Really now i feel bad for Mayaka but I dont blame Satoshi, its a tough decision though many people are unable to see the reason why.

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Sep 9, 2012 9:27 PM

Jul 2010
ANN now lists Hyouka as having 24 episodes! I'm so glad it's not over!!!!!

I loved this episode. Of course, it was easy to figure out who the culprit was, but it was fun seeing Oreki deal with his own feeling for Chitanda, even in an indirect fashion.

Love this show!
Sep 9, 2012 9:34 PM

Jul 2012
GAH! What did Satoshi say at the end?! D: (or am I just being think headed?)

Bit dissapointed we didnt get to see more Eru X Houtarou this episode, and it was even Valentines and everything! But more episodes coming up! :D I wonder how many more there will be, I've heard people say different things.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Sep 9, 2012 10:02 PM

Nov 2008
I smell a movie!
Sep 9, 2012 10:17 PM

Nov 2009
Damn ... at least they considered a sis-end for Oreki :"( ...
Next episode, please let their relationship develop ...
Sep 9, 2012 10:34 PM

Jul 2009
i really love this show!

more oreki x chitanda please! :D:D
Sep 9, 2012 11:58 PM

Nov 2011
I would at least like to see what this school's keionbu looks like, as long as they're going to keep mentioning it.

Also, I'll be happy to accept as many extra episodes of this show as they're willing to give me.
Sep 10, 2012 12:05 AM

Aug 2010
splendid episode

I also suspected Satoshi right from the start, though for different reasons.

It actually hurt seeing Chitanda hurt about the chocolate "theft", even going so far as being in tears. It really shows how emotional she is, and I think part of the reason is that she actually wanted to give rabuchoco (to Oreki), too.
From her look when she told Oreki of her family custom, you could tell that she would have liked nothing better than to give him him chocolate (and with her cooking skills, it would prolly bew awesomesauce). But alas, she's a well raised girl and follows those (stupid) family customs.

BUT, even though we got no def. ChitandaXOreki coupling we can tell: they are in love.

Also, stupid satoshi better got his act together on the phone and starts dating mayaka OR ELSE...
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Sep 10, 2012 12:23 AM

Jun 2009
I'm disappointed Oreki didn't punch him.

Not that I hate Satoshi because I know he's a bro but he deserves one in this case at least.
Sep 10, 2012 12:24 AM

Aug 2012
WTF Satoshi. *sigh*
He better not have said no...asshole

Oreki and Chitanda needs to get it on soon...
Sep 10, 2012 12:48 AM

Nov 2011
What a dumb reason. If I was Oreki I would of gave him one good punch in the stomach. Maybe then he would realize that his reasoning is stupid.I mean is it even necessarily a bad thing to be obsessive about the girl you love? He needs to stop being an egotistical cock and crawl out of his "comfort bubble" and go out with her. If he does start to become overly obsessed with her i'm sure they'll work something out. Now Oreki needs to do seal the deal with Chitanda, because it's pretty damn obvious now.

Also was anyone else REALLY surprised to see a preview for a next episode? I actually sat her for 5 minutes going, what the fuck?
Sep 10, 2012 1:09 AM

Aug 2011
Little Birds Can Remember.
Sep 10, 2012 1:10 AM

Apr 2010
Amazing episode. (I wanted to punch Chitanda in the face only a couple of times, that's new.)
Sep 10, 2012 1:13 AM

Feb 2012
Character developments in this episode again...and this time, focused more on Satoshi x Mayaka.

A good episode I guess :D
Sep 10, 2012 1:20 AM
May 2012
I don't get it. This anime only runs 22 episode?

So that means next week it's a finale right? Oh, that's just great.
Sep 10, 2012 1:40 AM
Mar 2012
kson said:
i really love this show!

more oreki x chitanda please! :D:D

YESS!!!It's so annoying how dense both of them are...
Sep 10, 2012 1:57 AM

May 2010
that was a scumbag move right there satoshi is a rat basterd for that, Oreki should have sluged him one.
Sep 10, 2012 2:19 AM

Jul 2012
So sad yet so great. I don't want it to finish.
Sep 10, 2012 2:27 AM

Sep 2009
This episode shows that Oreki can mess you up if u ever get on his bad side. He didn't punch Satoshi, just giving him a light punch on the back of his thick skull, like what a bro would do. If it were someone else. Oreki would definitley not hesitate to use all his energy to throw a punch at someones face and I can see that happening if anyone were to hurt Chitanda :P
DeathRyuSep 10, 2012 2:37 AM
Sep 10, 2012 2:49 AM

Jun 2009
Pretty much guessed that Satoshi will be the culprit of something as soon as Oreki made remarks about his old "Obsess" self...

Satoshi's an odd-ball, I don't understand him.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2012 3:00 AM

Jul 2012
That ep was TOO GOOD. Really sad next week is the last one.

Pretty sure the 24 episodes thing is wrong, there's only going to be 22 (+ the OVA). It's already been confirmed that there's 11 volumes of the BD, which is 2 episodes per BD = 22.
Sep 10, 2012 3:08 AM

Jan 2012
A pretty good episode. I wonder what was Satoshis answer. In any case, looking forward to next episode.

Sep 10, 2012 3:24 AM
Jul 2018
Kinda sad episode.
Sep 10, 2012 4:12 AM

May 2011
satoshi is a bloody ass -_- but i'm glad oreki talked him through and it seemed like he finally made up his mind at the end of the episode, which is sweet.

Once again oreki showed everyone who's a boss, in this episode we got to see different kinds of oreki, him showing his care towards chitanda, being considerate of mayaka, as well as being a bro to satoshi with all the bro talk. Despite all the energy saving thing, oreki's the boss.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 10, 2012 4:16 AM

Aug 2012
I woulda been slightly miffed if that was the last episode. Aaaand then MAL updates with episode 22 plus a preview.
Sep 10, 2012 5:28 AM

Jun 2010
Well, it was obvious from the start who took the chocolate, but dang, was it another great episode. I tend to love the 2nd-to-main couples and Satoshi-Mayaka is no exception.

Hyouka's not afraid of making the characters feel more than just your standard things. You couldn't explain Satoshi's motives with one word, it's more complicated than that. Very much truth in television and I love it!
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

25 by Margrave_Masane »»
Apr 13, 12:48 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 19, 2012

184 by dspr »»
Mar 3, 5:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.