Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 8, 2012 2:50 AM

Jul 2012
So I just finished EoE, and thoroughly enjoyed it (although I think it gave me a headache) and just wanted to talk about the end. Is it a good ending, bad ending, or can one really be discerned? Sure, people can return to their old selves, but look at Earth, its a complete wasteland, totally desecrated. I mean for God's sake the ocean is now a primordial soup that people are going to be regenerating from. I'm wondering if it would actually be possible for anyone to live on earth at this point, the ecosystem looks like it would be pretty messed up.

On the other hand, maybe that just ties into the whole "is life really worth living" motif.

But honestly to me the ending just came off as really dark and depressing. I mean did they really "succeed", because even if they did where do you go from there? Whats there to return too? Or is that the whole point of the ending? Is even the final moments supposed to convey the message of "life's worth living no matter how difficult"? But the end looks so bleak besides the fact that their "alive" (but as this anime asks, what is life?) I find it hard to believe its still trying to pull that off. I seriously cant tell what this series tried to convey besides the fragility of Humans, the pain of loneliness, and "never give up". Or is that all there is too it? Maybe I just need to go read some of what others have to say...

Although it was nice at the end to see Asuka finally letting herself love, and Shinji finally letting himself be loved.

Anyways, whats your thoughts?

QuiGonJonSep 8, 2012 11:47 AM

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Oct 14, 2012 9:24 AM

Oct 2011
Q: I mean did they really "succeed", because even if they did where do you go from there?

A: Seele wanted to start life anew, and let evolution take place again.

Q:Whats there to return too?

A: Earth (or what's left of it), love, humanity, hope, and happiness, thought it seems like the complete opposite of it.

Q:Or is that the whole point of the ending?

A: To show that one life, one person, one soul, is worth everything imaginable, and that there is still at least one person who loves you in the world, whether that be a friend, lover, parent, or God himself. There will always be at least one person who is willing to listen to your problems and help you.

Q: Is even the final moments supposed to convey the message of "life's worth living no matter how difficult"?

A: Yes, it means we can all get past our problems, no matter how gut-wrenchingly difficult they are.

Q: Anyways, whats your thoughts?

A: Absolute masterpiece. I thoroughly enjoyed every frame with every fiber of my being, could not be more perfect, absolute 11/10. The acting in the English and Japanese versions, the music, the art, colors, dementia, characters, emotions, ending, everything was absolutely, unquestionably, and unambiguous in every way, shape, and form.

This is without a doubt, the most depressing, inexorable, hellish, and cruel movie that has ever been created, and will ever be created, anime or not.
Kye7Oct 14, 2012 9:28 AM
Oct 14, 2012 12:54 PM

Jul 2012
Kye7 said:
Q: I mean did they really "succeed", because even if they did where do you go from there?

A: Earth (or what's left of it), love, humanity, hope, and happiness, thought it seems like the complete opposite of it.

A: To show that one life, one person, one soul, is worth everything imaginable, and that there is still at least one person who loves you in the world, whether that be a friend, lover, parent, or God himself. There will always be at least one person who is willing to listen to your problems and help you.

Q: Is even the final moments supposed to convey the message of "life's worth living no matter how difficult"?

A: Yes, it means we can all get past our problems, no matter how gut-wrenchingly difficult they are.

A: Absolute masterpiece. I thoroughly enjoyed every frame with every fiber of my being, could not be more perfect, absolute 11/10. The acting in the English and Japanese versions, the music, the art, colors, dementia, characters, emotions, ending, everything was absolutely, unquestionably, and unambiguous in every way, shape, and form.

This is without a doubt, the most depressing, inexorable, hellish, and cruel movie that has ever been created, and will ever be created, anime or not.

I never realized some of these metaphors, your thoughts were very interesting

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Oct 30, 2012 3:40 AM

Mar 2009
basically from the point where asuka dies (or as early as the beginning of the attack on nerv) is one of the most brutal emotional rollercoasters a film has put me through. i couldn't bare watching these characters who I felt so fond of go through so much suffering. at some point i felt a gloomy notion that everything was going to end in the most bleak way possible, and when everyone was turned into that liquid and mankind was to be wiped out i pretty much had abandoned all hope. i wanted the film to end with life continuing, not ending. i felt extremely happy that shinji made the right choice for mankind, and that he and asuka returned to life.
of course the life they returned to looks a lot harsher than the serenity of what they just had, but those who chose to return did so because of their passion for living, and experiencing it's extremes. they chose beautiful chaos rather than dull comfort.

as far as the state of the earth and whether or not there's a future for humans after what happened, I feel that the creator was intent on leaving a feeling of uncertainty and danger as this is a condition of life that they have chosen to accept.
Nov 16, 2012 11:43 AM

Jun 2012
I'm still messed up with this end..it's so shocked and sad after death of Misato,Asuka & everyone but finally it's nice that Asuka came back (i mean not dead) and everyone will came back.
Nov 22, 2012 5:15 AM

Oct 2011
I'm afraid my thoughts cannot be properly conveyed through text on this matter. I will only say that this is my favorite movie of all time and that it touched me.

Innappropriately.

And I liked it.
Dec 19, 2012 9:17 PM

Mar 2008
It's not depressing to me. The interpretation comes down to the individual who watches it, which makes it a unique experience. The irony is that the shape of the world in the end would be the same regardless of the decision Shinji makes, but for different reasons. So depending on how you like the interpretation, you can definitely consider it a good ending.
Jan 30, 2013 7:44 PM
Jul 2010
Kye7 said:

I imagine the world sort of turned out like Yokohoma Kaidashi Kikou

Feb 7, 2013 1:44 AM

May 2012
So beautiful, i can't even....
i cried, i can't even describe how well made this was ; -;
Feb 17, 2014 10:56 AM

Jan 2014
I love the ending! Dark and mysterious with a hint of hope in the end. I can't get over the last scene. so many questions.

I had a mixed feeling about the non animated scene though. it felt out of place.
Insert Signature Here
Feb 17, 2014 3:30 PM

Oct 2013
My interpretation was that it was a happy ending. When Asuka caresses Shinji's cheek, I think that is supposed to represent that she is finally ready to show her true emotions instead of hiding them with anger and hostility, which in turn means that her and the other characters were changed by the psychoanalysis in the final two episodes of the series; this implies that they might be able to live somewhat normal lives from now on. The dark nature of the show covers up what I think is overall a positive message.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Mar 6, 2014 11:32 AM

Dec 2012
I'm still utterly clueless about everything... but I liked the movie more than I liked the TV show because of all the wierd transformations and what not O.o

I'm not gonna dig to deep into the plot, but I quess the overall morale is:
You are gonna do bad things and there is nothing you can do about it except being yourself.
Mar 6, 2014 11:41 AM

Sep 2013
anders160196 said:
I'm still utterly clueless about everything... but I liked the movie more than I liked the TV show because of all the wierd transformations and what not O.o

I'm not gonna dig to deep into the plot, but I quess the overall morale is:
You are gonna do bad things and there is nothing you can do about it except being yourself.

Well, you can interpret it how you want, but I feel like what Anno is trying to say with End of Evangelion is basically that no matter how much other people may hurt you, it's always better than being all alone. During the series Shinji ran away all the time, and didn't want anyone near him. He did this to prevent himself from getting hurt by others. He had a Hedgehog's Dilemma.

But in the End of Evangelion, when Shinji was given the choice of either complete the Human Instrumentality Project or turn back into human form from LCL, he ultimately chose being a human, knowing that he may be hurt in the future.

The whole Evangelion series is basically about Shinji growing out of his Hedgehog's Dilemma.

I'd say people often understand this movie wrong, thinking it is a depressive movie, when actually it is the complete opposite. Everyone in the world is given a choice:

Do they want to go to heaven, or reform back into human form.

Shinji and Asuka chose to be humans.
cupcMar 6, 2014 11:47 AM
Mar 6, 2014 12:45 PM

Jun 2009
@ cupc

Yeah, I agree completely. The hedgehog dilemma is effectively the main theme of the series and, man, it's nice to see someone else shares my opinion that the overall message is a positive one. I think the message wouldn't have been as effective without the depressing atmosphere of the film, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 6, 2014 1:12 PM

Jul 2013
As said by some random critic mentioned on the EoE trailer, it's the anime event of a lifetime.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Mar 28, 2014 12:20 AM

Aug 2013
It was bittersweet.

Better than those shitty Rebuild movies, that's for sure.
Apr 21, 2014 5:36 PM

Jul 2009
Zenaku said:
It was bittersweet.

Better than those shitty Rebuild movies, that's for sure.

Jesus Christ. Everything nowadays is bittersweet. Sigh...
Apr 26, 2014 12:09 AM
Apr 2014

Shinji starts the series as a pansy, and wants to curl up and die right up to the end. Why is the main protagonist's development halted? Is there some "you can be a hero even if you refuse to change" moral or something?

Deciding at the brink of human extinction that maaaybe you don't want to be alone ISN'T COURAGE, it's basic survival instincts and Shinji is no hero for basically deciding not to commit suicide and let the human race die with him.

imo this is a tragic story of a father passing on the practice of stonewalling people to his son, which ultimately results in too much thumb-sucking to prevent the deaths of billions of people. Seriously, if he would have grabbed himself by the balls an hour sooner, maybe we could forgive him for an entire series of self loathing.

Great story, with unbelievably stunted lead character growth. Does he have one redeeming quality now that he didn't have or we couldn't determine in episode 1? My opinion is NO.
laughmoreApr 26, 2014 12:18 AM
Nov 29, 2014 7:14 PM

Jul 2014
This was the greatest ending I've ever seen to an anime series. What a deep and tragic story~
Dec 1, 2014 11:21 PM

Jan 2014
SEELE is probbably the stupidest fucking thing in any work of fiction ever. Yeah, ok, a death cult that wants to bring about the end of all life somehow has had control over global affairs for centuries. Seems plausible.

I just like how literally only Misato and Kaji even ATTEMPT to stop third impact. Everyone in Gendo's inner circle just can't wait to end humanity too. Were all the people in charge just gripped with collective insanity or something? Why didn't they just load Lilith onto a rocket and blast it into the center of the sun?

2deep4me I guess. It was like watching a train wreck, awful but I couldn't help myself.
DigitalcommunistDec 1, 2014 11:26 PM
Apr 21, 2015 11:03 AM
Apr 2015
My thoughts?
It was shit

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

21 by fizzydrinkk »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Zerachroma - Jun 13, 2008

533 by rengoku09_ »»
Apr 1, 5:57 AM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.