Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 1, 2012 3:24 AM

Jun 2012
Since when ever was open world, non-instanced content in MMOs actually challenging? There is challenge in Guild Wars 2, you're just looking for it at the wrong places. Or if you *demand* to find some in the open, visit the Island of Orr areas, it's constant war over there, with no heart quests, with almost every waypoint getting contested once in a while, and very few of the Dynamic events are even doable unless you have 2 full parties doing it
Agreed sorry not the best example, but actually Anet touted their open world bosses as being their version of "raid" bosses which it just wasnt. I have played a few dungeons, again not that challenging ( will explain a little more later). I emphasized the wrong point there, it was simply that the content/ endgame does not differ from 40 to 80. It is open world bosses, 5 man dungeons and PvP. All of which you can do from a very low level and the difficulty curve is very linear. Whats the reward for getting to 80? Whats the drive to actually do it? They ( Anet) said very clearly this game is all carrot and no stick. Apart from they give you the carrot at the start, pat you on the head and send you on your way.

I never realized pointless backtracking required brainpower. The heart quests are filler for dynamic events and jumping puzzles you find in the world.
Pointless backtracking...In wow before the spade of addons that pointed you in the direction of where you needed to go, you actually had to look at your quest log, figure out where to go what to kill. With gw2 its, run into the area, whatever is infront of you will most likely be what you either need to kill or collect. Not to mention the ridiculous spawn rates of most mobs in the game. I'm not saying that questing was especially taxing before, but at least it felt like questing. With gw2 it just doesn't, as i said the "slightest" brainpower needed. Questing does not requite much brainpower, but gw2 is taking away ANY kind of mental activity needed.

3 words: Beautiful, distinct gear
3 words, lazy, unimaginative repetitive.

Part of the sad reason people like to play mmo's is get nice shiny new bits of gear, look badass. One could argue that this is the endgame of GW2, ( as it is somewhat with games like WoW) But you have a reason to get great gear in WoW to raid, to push endgame content. In GW2 there is not that drive.

I will agree that you need to grind (minimally) to get good gear, but the difference to other MMOs is that you don't *NEED* good gear to participate in any of the content. No arbitrary item level bull**** or anything like that

Ok we established earlier that getting shiny new gear is one of the major driving points ( apart from endgame, which is what you need the gear for) so going by that if you dont NEED the gear, and there is very little endgame that needs you to have it, whats the point of the grind whatsoever?

Really, it's half the reason people do dungeons, content which you seem to have never even touched, according to what you've written. You want challenge, do the damn dungeons. First get your feet wet and nose punched in by the story mode dungeons, then your legs bloody broken by the explorable mode dungeons.

Dungeons in gw2 ARE NOT CHALLENGING. If you really think that GW2 dungeons are hard then you haven't pushed hard modes in wow or done any properly challenging end game content in any other MMO. Ascalonian Catacombs and Caudecus's Manor were a joke in relation to difficulty. Ok admittedly they are only level 30/40 dungeons. So maybe i havent experienced level 80 dungeons, so maybe i havent experienced enough to comment, maybe ( although i doubt it) level 80 dungeons are unbelievably hard compared to ones at 40, but considering the difficulty curve in the rest of the game I doubt it, i shall have to give it a go and comment then. But you know what? I don't want to, i cant be assed. And you know why? because quite simply if all i have to look forward to at 80 is a harder 5 man dungeons, why bother? Endgame to me is something that you cannot do at any other level apart from max. Something that requires teamwork, cohesion, etc. Which my experience of the first 2 dungeons, apart from being laughably easy to dodge most things and stay alive, more often than not if everyone looks out for themselves 99% of the time you were fine ( you would just have to time your heals). You are a band of individuals fighting together rather than a group that NEEDS eachother. Relying on people can be frustrating at times but its also highly rewarding when you get it right.

Now if you enjoy it fair enough, these things are IMO ( i made it very clear to put that so little whiners wouldnt take it to heart.)

Not to mention you seemed to miss out a shed load of other points i made.

The most important one, is would you pay a sub for this game? if so how much?
XROct 1, 2012 3:28 AM
Oct 3, 2012 6:36 AM
Dec 2008
GW dungeons aren't hard but its retarded. Bosses spams aoe attacks that 1 hits even if you're stacking tough and vit. CoE alpha guy. Last fight, in a small room and if everyone dies, the guy resets.

Not to mention the crazy things you have to do. Like jump across infrared beans like mission impossible. Oh yeah if you touch the beams, 1 hit ko. There's also this monster that stays on a platform and you have to use this special gun to guide golem bombs to them. It's retarded. Trash mobs have like a million hp and you can't tank them because there is no holy trinity. You have people running around like ducks that got their heads cut off. The worst thing is, dungeons don't feel very rewarding after you finish them. You collect tokens for... gear that has the same stats as exotics you can get from Temple of Gods in Orr.

Only thing fun to do is gank fools in wvw. Or pick off a zerg with a small group of elite pvpers. Or take out enemy seige weapons from their backs while fighting behind enemy lines AND staying alive. Well for me that is. Doing these rambo type stuff in WvW gets me pumped.
Oct 3, 2012 10:51 PM

Feb 2008
XR said:
I emphasized the wrong point there, it was simply that the content/ endgame does not differ from 40 to 80. It is open world bosses, 5 man dungeons and PvP. All of which you can do from a very low level and the difficulty curve is very linear. Whats the reward for getting to 80? Whats the drive to actually do it? They ( Anet) said very clearly this game is all carrot and no stick. Apart from they give you the carrot at the start, pat you on the head and send you on your way.
And Anet clearly said, on multiple occasions, that "entire game is endgame". What sort of grand reward can you give to a max level player and still proclaim that?

Now, I would agree that little change in gameplay from level 40 to 80 (actually to 70, but whatever), is a valid criticism, but not for the reasons you give.

Pointless backtracking...In wow before the spade of addons that pointed you in the direction of where you needed to go, you actually had to look at your quest log, figure out where to go what to kill. With gw2 its, run into the area, whatever is infront of you will most likely be what you either need to kill or collect. Not to mention the ridiculous spawn rates of most mobs in the game. I'm not saying that questing was especially taxing before, but at least it felt like questing. With gw2 it just doesn't, as i said the "slightest" brainpower needed. Questing does not requite much brainpower, but gw2 is taking away ANY kind of mental activity needed.
So you say that the cerebral experience from your WoW days was exploration based? Having to find where a certain area is and get there? There's an entire bunch of well-hidden vistas, points of interest, and a several dozen jumping/logic puzzle dungeons in the game. Go nuts.

I will agree that the Renown quests do on occasion require less brainpower with the exception of many of the very gimmicky ones where you don't just collect or kill stuff randomly on your path to progress, but those gimmicky ones still require you to read the description and even talk to NPCs for further information.

3 words, lazy, unimaginative repetitive.

Part of the sad reason people like to play mmo's is get nice shiny new bits of gear, look badass. One could argue that this is the endgame of GW2, ( as it is somewhat with games like WoW) But you have a reason to get great gear in WoW to raid, to push endgame content. In GW2 there is not that drive.
I fail to see how you might even have a single reason, why reliance on Skinner Box and Random Number Generator in loot tables to progress to further content suddenly has more point than having a goal of making your character not only be powerful but also look exactly the way you want it to look. If Guild Wars 2 suddenly had 16 different tiers of dungeon gear, one tier for each story mode and each explorable, would you suddenly tout it as being the best and longest MMO ever?

Ok we established earlier that getting shiny new gear is one of the major driving points ( apart from endgame, which is what you need the gear for) so going by that if you dont NEED the gear, and there is very little endgame that needs you to have it, whats the point of the grind whatsoever?
One of the biggest points in the development of Guild Wars 2 was to remove *obligatory* grind. Clearly, you can't get it into your head, and this game was probably never meant for you because you enjoy the way content restrictions lengthen gameplay time.

Dungeons in gw2 ARE NOT CHALLENGING. If you really think that GW2 dungeons are hard then you haven't pushed hard modes in wow or done any properly challenging end game content in any other MMO. Ascalonian Catacombs and Caudecus's Manor were a joke in relation to difficulty. Ok admittedly they are only level 30/40 dungeons.
I have 2 criticisms to your argument, and neither of them is based on level

1) Caudecus Manor story mode is undeniably the easiest dungeon in the game. Ask anyone and they'll agree with me, I've seen trash mobs in other dungeons that are tougher than most of Caudecus Manor bosses. If you thought that even Ascalonian Catacombs was easy though, then I have to ask, did you only do the story mode?

2) You're comparing these dungeons to WoW's hard mode dungeons. Well then, let me ask you, have you done any of the Explorable Mode versions of these 2 dungeons? Because the story mode dungeons were designed to be PUGable (albeit with a few deaths, which is a huge step up from the open world content), and the explorable mode dungeons are the real deal. They require an organized group to complete, as each boss is on the level with the Lovers (without boulders) in terms if difficulty, and at the very least King Adelbern.

So maybe i havent experienced level 80 dungeons, so maybe i havent experienced enough to comment, maybe ( although i doubt it) level 80 dungeons are unbelievably hard compared to ones at 40, but considering the difficulty curve in the rest of the game I doubt it, i shall have to give it a go and comment then. But you know what? I don't want to, i cant be assed. And you know why? because quite simply if all i have to look forward to at 80 is a harder 5 man dungeons, why bother?
Why bother with any content with any game ever? I reached max level in Fallout: New Vegas and got the best gear like 2/3 into my playthrough, but did I stop? No, I wanted to see what I hadn't seen yet. I didn't need any additional stat boosters, just to see more of the game.

Endgame to me is something that you cannot do at any other level apart from max. Something that requires teamwork, cohesion, etc.
As I said in one of my previous paragraphs, in GW2 entire game is supposed to be end-game, clearly you didn't get the memo. Google "Guild Wars 2 endgame" and you will find that "little" detail

Which my experience of the first 2 dungeons, apart from being laughably easy to dodge most things and stay alive, more often than not if everyone looks out for themselves 99% of the time you were fine ( you would just have to time your heals). You are a band of individuals fighting together rather than a group that NEEDS eachother. Relying on people can be frustrating at times but its also highly rewarding when you get it right.
Again, previous paragraph yadda yadda story mode meant to puggable yadda.

Now if you enjoy it fair enough, these things are IMO ( i made it very clear to put that so little whiners wouldnt take it to heart.)
I hope you do not think of me as one of these "whiners". I too am fine with you not liking the game, but I object to many of the reasons you use to justify it. Half of the things you look for in an MMO were never meant to be in Guild Wars 2, and there's willful ignorance and cognitive bias present in some of your points

Not to mention you seemed to miss out a shed load of other points i made.
Probably because I don't disagree with ALL of them (gee imagine that), as you are completely right in some, and others exist because enjoyment is subjective.

The most important one, is would you pay a sub for this game? if so how much?
Personally? Probably no, but I never have for any MMO that I've played. In fact, if I put any money into the cash shop (which I probably will), it means that I've put more money into GW2 past initial purchase than I have for any other MMO I've played.

Nagi- said:
The worst thing is, dungeons don't feel very rewarding after you finish them. You collect tokens for... gear that has the same stats as exotics you can get from Temple of Gods in Orr..
Well, yes and no.

While Orr karma gear has the same strength stats as the dungeon exotics, you will probably not find the exact stats you're looking for, as Orr karma gear has a limited selection. For example, there is not a single piece of ConditionDamage/Vitality/Power gear available as light armor, and they don't have a complete set of ConditionDamage/Toughness/Precision gear that I could use as a substitute, only some pieces.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

20 by loligoth666 »»
2 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

26 by loligoth666 »»
3 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

140 by loligoth666 »»
3 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games?

Dumb - Feb 11

49 by loligoth666 »»
5 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3508 by loligoth666 »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.