Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 17, 2008 11:58 PM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I can see the formula now

1.Man is jerk does something worng to someone
2.Someone considers Hell Girl site but doesn't go through
3.Man takes wrong to next level
4.Wronged person pulls thread
5.Jerk goes to hell
6.Wronged is doomed

Guy deserved it, but 78 episodes of this is a little much.
My anime list
Oct 18, 2008 12:00 AM

Jan 2008
Some other stuff will come up in later episodes, keep watching :3
Oct 22, 2008 7:05 AM

Sep 2008
I'm glad some other stuff will happen in future episodes, but do we really need 3 episodes to establish the pattern? It looks like the 4th will also be the same from the preview. You only really needed one to explain how everything works. I'm looking forward to possibly learning more about the 'ferry you to hell' people. A back-story would be nice.

Though police might work differently in Japan, in America, they would have done a thorough investigation since it involved minors. If the kid had explained how the guy had always been a bully, and the kid who died hadn't said anything because he didn't want the team to be disqualified. Also, logically, the main character was friends with the dead kid and had no reason to hurt him. He even helped him home. The bully seems to have a sociopathic personality, which could be investigated. At the end, the police probably would have uncovered what happened. But that's just my reasoning. If that happened, we wouldn't have a show.
B25MitchOct 22, 2008 8:13 AM

Higurashi: Retroactively asserting why scary and cute sound so similar in Japanese.
Aug 27, 2009 12:30 AM

Mar 2009
Through most of these episodes, i've found other ways to make things happen without the help of the hell girl. For instance, in this episode, when he called the bully to the certain area, the bully pretty much confessed. The person who was trying to GET him to confess should have set up some recorders and possibly a cam behind something and he could have caught it all on tape. The video cams vid and audio would sync with the digital recorder as well! Bam, evidence there, you're in the clear, and you don't have to worry about Hell! ( or atleast, through those circumstances >= p)
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway
Sep 6, 2009 4:02 AM
Jul 2008
This is actually pretty interesting! : )
Sep 18, 2009 4:08 PM

Aug 2009
Ooooh. I can see it too.

I'm starting to think that if the jerk would have just confessed, Jigoku would forgive him? Look, why are those three always asking the wrong-doer about their mistake? And if the wrong-doer didn't confess. Ai would appear and drag him/her to hell.
Oct 4, 2009 12:04 PM

Apr 2009
I do like this series so far. I'm sort of curious as to what would happen if the wrongdoer confessed, I hope it happens in a future episode.

✾✾✾ if only we could be reborn ✾✾✾
Nov 15, 2009 8:14 PM

Aug 2008
Hmmm. This got old already :( I hope they change the plot soon or something XD

Ai Enma's voice (Mamiko Noto?) makes me sad when she talks for some reason :( Specially the part when they put the candle with the victim's name.

Dec 19, 2009 7:12 PM

Dec 2007
Sorkalith said:
Through most of these episodes, i've found other ways to make things happen without the help of the hell girl. For instance, in this episode, when he called the bully to the certain area, the bully pretty much confessed. The person who was trying to GET him to confess should have set up some recorders and possibly a cam behind something and he could have caught it all on tape. The video cams vid and audio would sync with the digital recorder as well! Bam, evidence there, you're in the clear, and you don't have to worry about Hell! ( or atleast, through those circumstances >= p)

Yep. I was even expecting the senpai to say "what you got behind you? a recorder?". But it seems people in this anime world lack common sense.
Jan 25, 2010 1:47 AM

Jan 2010
Moonfrost said:
Ooooh. I can see it too.

I'm starting to think that if the jerk would have just confessed, Jigoku would forgive him? Look, why are those three always asking the wrong-doer about their mistake? And if the wrong-doer didn't confess. Ai would appear and drag him/her to hell.

Yeah, I was wondering whether if when they ask him "Do you confess your sins" and he answers "Yes" they would let him go...
Mar 18, 2010 1:30 PM

Aug 2008
I was beginning to think others would never notice that the bad people are gone. For e.g. in the last 2 eps, nothing was mentioned about the stalker and Aya after they were ferried to Hell. It's like no one notices their absence.

That's why I'm glad it was touched on slightly in this ep.
May 25, 2010 4:01 PM

Apr 2008
Yeah, this show is too formulaic for my tastes. Does it change at all or is it the same thing every ep (basically, exactly what the op posted)
Jul 3, 2010 6:44 AM

Dec 2009
Cele said:
I'm sort of curious as to what would happen if the wrongdoer confessed, I hope it happens in a future episode.

same here.
Aug 8, 2010 5:35 PM

Nov 2009
okay, here's my point of view::

all of those kids, episodes 1-3, should NOT have pulled the string. I mean, c'mon!You're gonna go to HELL if you do, and you KNOW for sure... (it's just an anime, I know...)

but consider this (like I said, it's just my point of view): they all could have just told the truth (persistently), and everything would have been better, from the start, or sometime not too late, knowing the fact that you're not guaranteed to go to Jigoku.

now, on to episode 4. Haven't seen the preview yet, but hopefully it's good. :D
Sep 4, 2010 7:17 AM

Aug 2009
Sorkalith said:

my thoughts exactly! he could have also brought another person with him to hide somewhere as a witness at least.
3/5 this time.
“In a mad world, only the mad are sane.”Akira Kurosawa
Nov 23, 2010 10:46 PM

Jul 2007
tonyqhub5 said:
okay, here's my point of view::

all of those kids, episodes 1-3, should NOT have pulled the string. I mean, c'mon!You're gonna go to HELL if you do, and you KNOW for sure... (it's just an anime, I know...)

but consider this (like I said, it's just my point of view): they all could have just told the truth (persistently), and everything would have been better, from the start, or sometime not too late, knowing the fact that you're not guaranteed to go to Jigoku.

now, on to episode 4. Haven't seen the preview yet, but hopefully it's good. :D

I can understand this method with episode 1 & 3 but the whole stalker situation from episode 2 was pretty much back-against-the-wall the whole time given that the stalker is the head of the police force. I don't blame her as much as it looks like she would've died soon by his hands had she not.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Dec 26, 2010 5:29 AM

Jan 2010
another person got into the hell
Feb 14, 2011 9:10 AM

Dec 2008
I love how they fuck with people before they get ferried to hell!!
Feb 15, 2011 11:30 PM

Oct 2008
I wonder if other people can see the seal they get.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Feb 22, 2011 10:48 PM

Feb 2010
werr-y said:
Moonfrost said:
Ooooh. I can see it too.

Yeah, I was wondering whether if when they ask him "Do you confess your sins" and he answers "Yes" they would let him go...

I'm wondering the same thing. But, people like that last guy think they can get away with anything, so they don't seem to see anything wrong with what they did, accidental or no.

Fumiko said:
Ai Enma's voice (Mamiko Noto?) makes me sad when she talks for some reason :( Specially the part when they put the candle with the victim's name.

I dig the voice! It's so perfect for Ai (love the ironic name, too :D)

Villetta_Nu said:
I love how they fuck with people before they get ferried to hell!!

SAAAAAMEEE!! It's so creepy!
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Apr 1, 2011 6:54 PM

Mar 2010
I wonder if i still have the dedication to push beyond these episodes. It's become so simple and predictable I really don't even have to watch what's going on to understand the plot. As I've read, this apparently disappears. Let's hope so. Looking forward to the next!
Dec 4, 2011 8:54 PM

May 2010
Yeah, by now I'm realizing this might not be a good show to marathon. It is pretty satisfying seeing despicable people getting their just desserts, but it's better as a weekly sort of thing I suppose. Otherwise this show's going to get pretty repetitive fast.
“Money can't buy dere”
Jan 15, 2012 5:02 AM

Dec 2011
angelei28 said:
another person got into the hell

Hehe, another *two* people ]=
Signature:
May 8, 2012 2:19 PM

Feb 2012
Episode 3 had my favorite punishment sequence so far.

I'm putting a lot of trust in this show to break its own formula over the next 75 episodes, because my mind instead is already teeming with ways to break it. I'm waiting for the inevitable episode where two people enter each others' names on the Hell Correspondence site....

I'm also waiting for the person the unties the red string the moment they're handed the doll, the antagonist who confesses to Emma and repents, and the person that loses their doll and watches helplessly as someone else unties it (maybe even the antagonist) just as they were having second thoughts.

Seabury said:
Yeah, by now I'm realizing this might not be a good show to marathon. It is pretty satisfying seeing despicable people getting their just desserts, but it's better as a weekly sort of thing I suppose. Otherwise this show's going to get pretty repetitive fast.

I agree. This isn't marathon material.
Aug 5, 2012 7:15 AM

May 2012
Well this can be interesting per episode a new story and that for 72 episodes! Hmm I might be putting this on hold for some time if it get's to boring!
Aug 12, 2012 9:08 PM

Aug 2010
I liked this episode better than the previous ones.
Sep 14, 2012 12:42 PM

Apr 2011
This episode really shows how mess up and scary society is. Once they start targeting one single person, it can turn your happy world upside down.

I'm complex by who Emma Ai granny is. I recall Emma is the lord of hell or something in Japanese mythology.

Thanks to the curse, the blame was shifted back to the evil baseball guy. I wonder if the so called "witness" was one of those devil guys.

Regarding 72 episode being repetitive, I think each series will bit different. There no way this can continue through 72 episodes, unless the Neet love Emma! XD
Feb 10, 2013 11:52 AM

Aug 2012
I'm going to keep watching in hope someone in the series puts an end to this hitman plague.. would be funny if someone summoned her for some other reason :3
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
May 5, 2013 12:19 PM
May 2013
It was... honestly it was just like previous episode and I've heard that next five or four episodes will be the same. In next (7th or 8th) something interesting, I don't know yet what, is going to happen. But art is nice, and Enma Ai is great so I'll try to watch more episodes. Even if I was looking for horror...
May 28, 2013 8:46 AM

Jan 2012
I don't mind the repetition but the drama seems very forced. I'm still enjoying this a lot especially the punishment part.
Jun 13, 2013 5:33 PM

Jun 2012
I like it that each episode has it's own story and build up to the punishment another good episode. only wondering are the candles with the names on it the life candles like when it burn out the boy/girl dies whose name is written on it.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jan 22, 2014 10:21 PM

Oct 2013
If the repetition gets to bad it might take me months to complete this show and not my usual couple of days.
Mar 14, 2014 5:59 AM

Aug 2013
Hmm a little different from the weak victims previous in episodes.. not bad.
If the story is at least not exactly similar I can live with it.. I don't dislike it.
And if the back story of characters are worth waiting for.. all the better.
I'm glad I could take my time instead of marathoning off the entire series like I usually do. *what I did with Bakuman*
Just can't take my eyes off Ai.. she is the too attractive to bear. <3
Is it just me of I could really feel sorrow in her voice.. like literally.
Apr 16, 2014 3:47 AM

Jun 2011
Come back after 2 years off this series, and this is what I get?
MoeXtreme said:
I don't mind the repetition but the drama seems very forced. I'm still enjoying this a lot especially the punishment part.

I don't mind some repetition too, but they could have spent like 1 whole episode for the build up, and last 2minutes for the punishment, that's better in my opinion. The drama seems forced indeed, and rushed too, even his parents didn't trust him, without knowing what really happened. -.-

P.S. Sasuke and Uryuu as the baddie of the episode.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 17, 2014 4:41 PM

Jan 2014
MoeXtreme said:
Oct 11, 2014 3:23 PM

Dec 2012
Go figure that Sasuke's seiyuu would play another talented douchebag. I laughed so hard at the baseball game of hell. *Arm breaks off* "Safe!" Although I feel for the people who make the contracts, I hope they change it up soon. I feel like I'm going to be screaming "don't pull that string! Solve it yourself!" before I'm halfway through.
Dec 24, 2014 7:51 AM

Jun 2013
Yeah, it is pretty episodic but the stories are pretty interesting :)
Dec 26, 2014 11:31 AM

May 2014
This repetition of the same formula, but with a different setting every time is too much... This feels a lot like Higurashi, crazy stuff happen and we know nothing about it.
Mar 4, 2015 3:40 PM

Jun 2014
I have just been watching one episode a day and this has really paid off! I find myself more immersed in what is going on. Maybe when it gets to be little more about the "story" of Hell Girl I'll watch a couple a day but as it is right now, one a day is good.

As for this scenario, god I felt /so/ bad for the two victims. That guy was a prick. There probably were other means besides Hell Girl to get him to confess or pay for his crime but he deserved Hell. To say people dying for you is a gift and what not and to not even feel the slightest guilty about taking another life, uh-uh. Bye bye.

I dislike that these good people have to go to Hell, too. But it makes sense. You take and you must give.

I love how eerie this series is! For some reason I get Silent Hill vibes from the op? I dunno haha.

Great episode! Looking forward to tomorrow.
Apr 10, 2015 7:05 PM

Sep 2013
ugh
the three trolls weren't too creative with this one
May 16, 2015 10:08 AM

Dec 2014
Wow, these mini-main characters are dumb tbh.
Aug 26, 2015 9:36 AM

Feb 2015
Am I just a horrible person or wouldn't it be easier to take the revenge by yourself in most of the cases and if they want - even kill themselves afterwards?

Cause dooming yourself into the eternity in Hell is a lot much worse than anyone's story in these episodes. Okay it is horrible that your friend was murdered and it's awful that they blamed you but still... Eternity in Hell..? Nope just do whatever you want to the murderer and cope with the consequences or kill yourself right after cause those thing are nothing compared to the fact that you must spent e-t-e-r-n-i-t-y in Hell.

I'm really waiting that something else happens other than these same type episodic stories. It's gotten just repetitive and I don't care to watch many more of these.
"Oh, I wasn't trying to be funny.. I would've put a 'Haha' at the end of it."

Dec 11, 2015 5:17 AM

Jan 2012
Just talk to police lol.

Feb 8, 2016 3:15 PM
Apr 2013
Ok I couldn't help laughing in this episode. The other two were fine, you could see why people decided to pull the thread, specially the girl in episode 2 but ep 1 seemed to lack a better background (maybe more insight in the bullying, like it's been going on for years etc) and this one was downright hilarious (for me, ofc).
Why would his mother not take him to the hospital if he spent two days suffering and crying and dying? If something did break inside him wouldn't the initial pain be way worse than what he felt (real question, I don't have much knowledge about internal bleedings and such)? And that funeral scene. Everybody just started hating on the mc and those detectives, such unprofessionalism.
I know someone mentioned there'll be some changes soon and I sure hope they pay off. This show has so much potential - it can explore many situations and types of characters, I can't believe they'll let it pass in a 72? episode anime.
Mar 20, 2016 2:45 AM

Mar 2015
Every episode made me angry to the bad guys. DEEN did a good job to make me mad lol.

Sep 18, 2016 4:19 AM

Mar 2012
If you think about it, the fact that these demons/spirits use a website to harvest souls is pretty fucked up since it seems like only kids know about the site so it's pretty much easy pickings. They not only get a dammed soul quicker into hell but they also get an innocent soul once the person dies.
Oct 7, 2016 8:05 PM

Mar 2016
Fairly sad ep and all but the next ep preview...I don't even wanna watch it if it's about animal torture or something Dx
Dec 14, 2016 1:38 PM

Apr 2012
Hanagasa definitely got what was coming to him but I was sort of shocked when Iwashita's dad just full-out punched him outside Muroi's home lol... it was stated that Iwashita and Muroi had been good friends for at least a few years, and his parents just turned against him immediately and believed he was a murderer without even asking him about it? I know all that stuff had to happen to show how desperate Iwashita was but... yikes lmao
Dec 26, 2016 11:12 PM

Sep 2013
Pushing the "Break from the formula" button so next time maybe we'll have a bit of a different story.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

78 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

sugarplumfairy - Oct 2, 2008

91 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 14, 4:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.