Sep 23, 2012 7:33 AM

Nov 2011
Not all modern hip-hop is shit.

For example, Astronautalis

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Sep 23, 2012 7:53 AM
Jul 2012
They shitty. But not Hopsin he is the shit.
Sep 23, 2012 8:14 AM
Jul 2018
So goddamn repetive, same shit: "Fucking hoes, get money, get famous, fuck the system etc." ;_;
Sep 23, 2012 8:43 AM

Nov 2011
Alcapwn said:
So goddamn repetive, same shit: "Fucking hoes, get money, get famous, fuck the system etc." ;_;

Not all hip-hop is like that.

Sep 23, 2012 8:47 AM
Sep 2012
Most of the stuff that falls into stereotypes for its genre tends to be pretty boring. Occasionally somebody will try something new that works and might have a good song (or album) or two, but tends to fall off after that, simply repeating themselves or trying too hard on most follow ups. This is true of any genre. Remember rap-rock's 15 minutes of fame?
Sep 23, 2012 9:53 AM

Dec 2010
I think most music has been shitty WAY before modern music. It's just that you hear the shitty ones more than the good ones on the radio nowadays. Sturgeon's Law, after all.
Sep 23, 2012 10:22 AM
Sep 2012
Alcapwn said:

Lol, strong generalization.
Sep 23, 2012 10:56 AM
Jul 2012
rederoin said:
Alcapwn said:

people who say that only listen to rappers like lil wayne and 2 chainz
Sep 28, 2012 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
JavierR said:
rederoin said:
Alcapwn said:

"Why does MOST modern music suck so much"
"MOST modern music"
Oh, maybe that is why? :)
removed-userSep 28, 2012 1:51 PM
Sep 28, 2012 1:14 PM

Sep 2012
Most hip hop and rap are like that because that's what the masses want to hear. Even Lil Wayne was much better back in the day, but when shit like "Lollipop" starts to hit the top of the charts, anyone who understands the industry and business is gonna go "oh well this is what people want to hear, so let's give em what they want!" Then you got this shit playing everywhere and these artists are racking up dough. It's pretty funny since the shit you used to hear on the radio even 5-6 years ago wasn't that bad (occasionally). I mean I'd much prefer listening to Kanye and Lupe (two of my favorite artists) over the shit you hear now. But that's because that's what people liked back then; creative, original, thought-provoking music. Now it's all about club bangers and shit you wiggle your ass too (well not to say it wasn't like that before too, but it's even more so now). So that's why it sucks, in a nutshell.

For any hip hop/rap fans, I suggest you all check out Lupe's new album, Food and Liquor II, because Lupe is BACK ladies and gentleman. Seriously this is the best album I've heard in a couple years, arguably since The Cool (also by Lupe for those who don't know). GOOD's Cruel Summer isn't too bad, and earlier in the year B.O.B. dropped Strange Clouds which I thought was pretty good as well. So I recommend checking those out if you like the genre and let me know what you think.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Sep 28, 2012 4:52 PM

Jun 2012
The only music I actually dislike is rap music. There's some problems when lyrics sung in the listener's native language are barely understandable.
Sep 28, 2012 5:58 PM

Nov 2011
Alcapwn said:
JavierR said:
rederoin said:
Alcapwn said:

"MOST modern music"

But thats incorrect.

Sep 28, 2012 6:20 PM

Jun 2009
Resurrected said:
The only music I actually dislike is rap music. There's some problems when lyrics sung in the listener's native language are barely understandable.

Then start listening to good artists, rather than a bunch of try-hards?

Sep 28, 2012 7:10 PM

Aug 2009
I don't like a lot of mainstream music these days, though I've found a healthy dose of not-quite-mainstream somewhere else. There's Youtube, there's Lastfm, hell from time to time I go to Plug.Dj and have found almost 100 new songs from artists I've never heard of, and just discovering them now. Most modern music sucks? Naw, not really. I Either you're pretty close-minded, or you're looking at the wrong places.

I've listened to some Black Sabbath and Judas Priest in my day; they're alright, I don't hate them. I agree about the impact and influence they've had in heavy metal in general. Though if those are the only examples you're gonna present, then I don't blame people in this thread about how "your taste sucks" or somewhere along those lines. Granted, I don't agree with that, but I can see why they would.

Look man, there are a wide variety of genres you can listen to. Why don't you explore outside of what you're used to listening to? I used to listen to pretty much anything rock/alternative and shunned everything else. Nowadays I don't mind listening to anything. I'm still not big on rap/hip-hop, though I don't mind some when it sounds good to my ears.

kjra92 said:
In my opinion, I don't believe in good music and bad music. To me, there's no such thing as great or horrible music. It'll always depend on the consumer's taste, on how they would respond on that certain kind of music. I have nothing against today's popular music, because it's was the masses want.

But one thing that really appalls me is that it's always the music industry's decisions on what kind of music the artists should produce and not the artist itself. It's just unfair that the artist doesn't get creative control/freedom in his/her music. Maybe that's the reason why today's popular music always feels the same.

This is just my opinion.

I agree completely. You pretty much can't do much about what consumers want. If they want Justin Bieber, Usher, Katy Perry, and all that, fine. And yeah, it's not the music itself that's the problem, it's the way the industry has this control over what the artists should make. I hate that mentality. I think there's still talent and creativity out there. The problem is they're not being given the chance to show that.

There is one thing that bothers me about the direction music is going today, and it's the fact that most music is done in computers now. It's not bad per se, it's just that I fear that one day, real instruments are just going to be thrown by the wayside and never be heard from again. I really hope that doesn't happen, ever.

Ah, long post, but w/e.

Also,
Post-Moe said:
Thread is lacking the greatest song in the history of music, so I will provide it.

Thread. Fucking. Over. Close this shit down.
Sep 29, 2012 2:03 AM

Feb 2012
dietmango said:

There is one thing that bothers me about the direction music is going today, and it's the fact that most music is done in computers now. It's not bad per se, it's just that I fear that one day, real instruments are just going to be thrown by the wayside and never be heard from again. I really hope that doesn't happen, ever.

Ah, long post, but w/e.

Rock and metal are still resisting that.

What I am really disappointed in is the direction where rap and techno went after the 90's.

Basically old scholl rap beats the (c)rap of today.

And for techno,well 90's techno was great with the prodigy and stuff like that,and i really like the fact that it was edgy.Today's techno became electronica and all you have is dub and dance shit and remixes of other bad songs and David Guetta and ...
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Sep 29, 2012 2:12 AM

Sep 2012
There is good modern music, you've probably been judging your outlook on music based on the radio or the big hits. There are many good songs/bands/etc that are just kick ass but they don't get recognition. Right now, it's all about fame and money.

Social network is shit where I live right now though. Again, some good bands, so hard to find though.
Sep 29, 2012 8:11 AM

Jul 2009
I don't know if it floats your boat, but you should seriously take a look at some of the youtube channels out there that have their minds set on promoting decent music that perhaps doesn't get the attention it deserves. One example would be "MrSuicideSheep", and no, it's chillstep and will make you feel better about yourself in a sweet way :)

But as far as modern pop is concerned, you must remember that a large amount of listeners are young girls who account for a large part of the charts makeup. Apart from that, the music you see in the charts might not suit your tastes, but it's the best stuff they can put on the radio without a large majority of people disliking it. Even if you don't like it, it's likely at least palatable for most, hence the craze.

Just go visit some youtube channels :) If you don't like chart music then you just don't.
Sep 29, 2012 8:18 AM
Jul 2012
Trapalicious said:
Resurrected said:

SO MUCH THIS.

Eyedea is one of the perfect examples of great hip-hop/rap. There's so many other artists out there smothered by the 2 Chainz and Drake stuff.

If you don't believe me, listen to Cyne, Sadistik, Median, etc. Underground and indie artists are where lots of talent lie.
-GrayZOX
Sep 29, 2012 8:46 AM

Jun 2011
Trapalicious said:

Personally, I never liked rap or hip-hop. I don't find them to be instrumentally engaging at all. I don't care about the lyrics, I don't mind even listening to white supremacy endorsing music as long as instrumentally I like it.
Not only with rap, but AC/DC and 90% of Metallica's discography feel so repetitive, playing the same 5-second parts over and over again for 3 minutes, add some stuff, and then repeat, and again for 5 minutes more.
Sep 29, 2012 10:57 AM

Jun 2009
I'm not saying people have to like it. Just saying that the slang being used is all to do with that artist, and not the genre itself. Lyrics are the focus of Rap artists, so if you're not incredibly big on lyrics, then you're likely not going to really appreciate the genre as much.

Personally I love instrumental hip-hop, nice and laid back. 'Course, I'm not gonna tell you why you should like it.
TrapaliciousSep 29, 2012 11:37 AM
Sep 29, 2012 11:01 AM

Oct 2010
Pls learn to expand your music horizons. There's so much music available to us, thanks to the internet. It's shamefur to only have knowledge of top 40 shit.
Sep 29, 2012 11:08 AM

May 2012

........Oh My God...
I Heard Someone In School Singing That ..
I Just ... I'm Just Speechless ..
Sep 29, 2012 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
rederoin said:
Alcapwn said:
JavierR said:
rederoin said:
Alcapwn said:

"MOST modern music"

But thats incorrect.

It goes like that in Denmark, every god damn song is like how i describe it.
Sep 29, 2012 4:36 PM
Jul 2012
Alcapwn said:
rederoin said:
Alcapwn said:
JavierR said:
rederoin said:
Alcapwn said:

"MOST modern music"

But thats incorrect.

You're not listening to the good songs, they hardly play good songs on the radio, and ironically the most popular songs are always good.
Sep 29, 2012 4:40 PM

Jul 2012
JavierR said:
Alcapwn said:
rederoin said:
Alcapwn said:
JavierR said:
rederoin said:
Alcapwn said:

"MOST modern music"

But thats incorrect.

You're not listening to the good songs, they hardly play good songs on the radio, and ironically the most popular songs are always good.

They're talking about Danish hip-hop/rap
And actually, it is pretty terrible
Sep 29, 2012 4:59 PM

Mar 2012
well MOST of the old music sucked too, imo. It's like this always, there are some rare gems for every generation which is the music people remember. And, i'm sorry but, listening to the 'classic' bands doesn't make you better in tastes, just because someone else likes Nikki Minaj or whatever, doesn't mean that that person has bad taste, it just means they have have different tastes than yours, tolerance is something you must have in these days. Also, music is for enjoyment not for arguing, that's why there's a GREAT variety in the music industry, try looking for something that will go according to your preferences, i'm pretty sure you can.
Sep 29, 2012 5:05 PM

Jun 2010
uneksia said:
just because someone else likes Nikki Minaj or whatever, doesn't mean that that person has bad taste

It does.
Sep 29, 2012 5:16 PM

Apr 2009
Hitchens said:
uneksia said:
just because someone else likes Nikki Minaj or whatever, doesn't mean that that person has bad taste

It does.

+1
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Sep 29, 2012 5:32 PM

Jun 2011
xxangelchanxx said:
Hitchens said:
uneksia said:

It does.

+1

ahahahahahha

I'm personally getting more into pop, but not that upbeat trash. Mostly songs like skyscraper, we are young, or the soulful covers of titanium--ones that are more powerful rather than having a catchy hook.

Otherwise I'm listening to rock or animu music xD
Sep 29, 2012 6:34 PM

Mar 2012
xxangelchanxx said:
Hitchens said:
uneksia said:

It does.

+1

I guess I should've expected this to happen... but yeah, tolerance.
Sep 30, 2012 9:32 AM

Sep 2012
Modern music is shitty?
If he means only english then I agree,
But if that includes Jap music especially Jrock i think youre seriously mistaken
Sep 30, 2012 10:00 AM
Sep 2012
Having in mind that majority can not even read written notes, it is not unknown why some songs are, that are pure crap, so good rated.

Never heard Jrock, would like to hear...
Sep 30, 2012 10:17 AM

Jul 2008
Stop listening to mainstream american musique and learn to widden your horizon.

I'm not one to talk since I only listen to japanese music but there's much more than jap and american music in the world.
Sep 30, 2012 1:23 PM

Dec 2007
different people have different tastes in music.

shocking I know.
Sep 30, 2012 1:28 PM

Nov 2011
Think you need to expand your taste in music or something. Whenever I drive to school and put my radio on I hear a song or two that interests me.
Some of the Mumford and Sons songs, Hey Ho! by The Lumineers and others come to mind. Of course you and others may not enjoy this type of music but I and others do enjoy it. Also Madeon is a great DJ. Just depends on the type of music you like I guess.
Still some good music out there just got to search for it!
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Oct 2, 2012 2:34 AM
May 2009
Because kids have bad taste in music, which means the crap they like are usually what is top, and its what you are forced to listen to.
Oct 2, 2012 7:50 AM

Oct 2012
Um I think most modern music sucks because people dont care about creating art anymore they just want to be famous for the money =/
Oct 2, 2012 9:10 AM
Jul 2012
Pixelstix said:
Um I think most modern music sucks because people dont care about creating art anymore they just want to be famous for the money =/

who doesn't want to be famous for the money? Everybody loves money.
Oct 2, 2012 9:31 AM
Nov 2011
Actually, it doesn't. You just need to look more.

In every era, there'd be good ones and bad ones. You never know how much bad music got produced in the so-called Black Sabbath's time, unless of course you shuffled across all of that decade's tracks which, in itself, is quite absurd. You're just picking out one of the best (in your opinion) of that decade. Likewise, there is every possibility of 'best' in this modern world, too. You just need to broaden your horizons and stop looking at Gangnam style only.
Oct 2, 2012 9:47 AM

Aug 2012
Yeah I don't like Pop that much now, but I listen to mainly Pop/Rock and Pop/Punk. But I also like vocaloids and anime music ^^'
Oct 2, 2012 12:37 PM
Jul 2012
I have better music taste than you. Therefore I'm much more intelligent and awesome. Read it and weep, bitches.
Oct 2, 2012 12:41 PM

Apr 2011
DeathCl0ck101 said:
I have better music taste than you. Therefore I'm much more intelligent and awesome. Read it and weep, bitches.

That was HILARIOUS.

Oct 2, 2012 2:02 PM

Nov 2010
Because we're getting old.
Oct 2, 2012 2:09 PM

Sep 2012
But even American music is good, you just have to look at the other 359 degrees instead of the 1 degree the radio focuses on.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Oct 2, 2012 2:44 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
AnnoKano said:
BatoKusanagi said:
BlackSabotage said:
Most artist on the top 40 radio have such similar and generic sounds to them. What ever happened to good bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Yes?

All those bands suck.

You don't like "Owner of Lonely Heart"?

Well it's clear we can't take your opinion seriously.

No. And now I'm sad my opinion won't be taken seriously :(
Oct 13, 2012 11:04 AM

Sep 2012
DeathCl0ck101 said:

Oct 13, 2012 2:46 PM

Aug 2012
Depending on where you hear music from "the old days" your comparison between that and modern music is skewed.

Radio stations only play top hits and cherry pick the good songs that came out of the woodwork from back in the day.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Oct 13, 2012 4:04 PM

Dec 2011
There is no good or bad music, only a matter of taste.

Oct 13, 2012 4:19 PM

Mar 2012
Agreed.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
28 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7571 by tsukareru »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
11 hours ago

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Yesterday, 9:05 AM

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

10 by not-perfect »»
Yesterday, 2:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.