Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2012 1:23 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a fantastic ending.

Jim all grown up looked just like Andre from Rose of Versailles for some reason, maybe Akio Sugino loves that type of design.

Ben Gunn might have not spent that money wisely, but it sure did put a smile on his face. ;)

I shed some manly tears when hearing of Gray's death. He was awesome.

That final postcard memory of Silver as a old man put chills down my spine, and at the same time, put a smile on my face.

Overall a wonderful adaption, when it comes to Treasure Island, its probably not gonna get any better then this. 10/10
Feb 8, 2014 5:17 PM

Feb 2010
Amazing ending. I was just thinking 'It would be so awesome to have some kind of sequel 5 or 10 years later' when the second half epilogue started.
I was also very sad about Gray's death, he's probably my favorite character in this series full of awesome characters.
And Jim's meeting with Silver was very impactful too.
I definitely loved this, though there were a few flaws and it really started to get exciting around episode 10.
9/10 from me, great show.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 28, 2014 4:25 PM
Jul 2018
Aww. I think this ending was more enjoyable than the novel's. I was a little let down that Jim and his Mother didn't get to have that giant castle and all that gold soup. Glad they gave it to the crown to divide. It was a very "good guy" thing to do. For everyone's epilogue I totally could have seen it, 'cept for Gray's. Maybe I'm missing something, but they never gave any real hint or character point to take that from in this.
I can't think of many bad points. Other than the occasional skimp on animation, everything else was good. 8/10, but I'm sure I'll change that up in a little while.
Aug 11, 2014 5:30 AM

Jun 2014
Very interesting last episode to a very interesting anime. I didn't read the original novel but this series was definitely worth rewatching. I was very young the first time and so it was like watching without prior knowledge. Everything from plot to characters to setting were really nice. The animation wasn't that great but it was made in the 70s so it's understandable. 8/10
Mar 18, 2015 4:31 PM
Aug 2011
Ore no, ore no Silver
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

This series was wonderful, this last episode was fantastic.

Gray though what a guy... oh my heart.
Aug 3, 2015 7:56 PM

Sep 2010
What a great series and I'm sad Gray died I really liked him, but at least he went out like a boss.

7/10 it didn't really pick up for me until about halfway through.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 12, 2016 4:26 AM

Dec 2009
Amazing series and a great conclusion to an epic adventure. I'm glad everyone had a happy ending except for Gray, but he died a true hero. With his last words, I think I could sense that he also admired Silver.

That last scene with John Silver and the Flint the parrot gave me some deep feels.

10/10 from me.
Jul 2, 2016 11:55 AM

Jul 2010
Fantastic ending to a great anime you just don't see a lot of these days and I really liked they added the 10 years later part, was nice seeing a grown up Jim Hawkins and Lilly too for that matter, they sure grew up to be handsome/beautiful and glad Jim proposed to her. Also not sure why but I kinda expected Silver to die watching through this series but ultimately he didn't but it still was such a bittersweet ending for him with no crew and his wife dead and his parrot Flint barely even surviving these days so I feel like Silver don't have all that many adventures left in him. Still such a great antagonist Silver, one of the best written ones I've seen in an anime.

I need to check out more of Osamu Dezaki works in the future.

Sidenote: Usually I dislike child protagonists since but I have to say Jim was also great, not whiny at all (which huge amount are) and really strong and determined with his goals in life, mad respect for that.
Jul 6, 2017 3:15 PM
Aug 2014
Jim was definitely one of the best child protagonists I've seen. Can't believe they actually gave the treasure to the crown and only got a measly 1000 pounds for it which Ben Gunn managed to spend in 3 days. Looks like Silver got the most out of this treasure hunt.

Always like epilogues; haven't seen too many of them in anime.

Good protagonist, great antagonist, solid story, but the side characters were a bit lacking.

8/10
Feb 4, 2018 8:19 AM

Nov 2016
Awesome epilogue,I always appreciate to have a little time skip.

Kinda sad over Gray,tho :(

Jim has become a fine man almost able to take on people as Silver xD

First half of this show has been good,but it became really great once they've entered the island. This still gets an 8 from me for this satisfying conclusion.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 17, 2019 6:00 AM
Jan 2019
Very good animation. A 10/10 because it had magic. Everything that has magic deserves a 10 to me. The magic is not with Jim, not with Dr. Livesey, not with gray. The magic was absolutely and only with that ONE LEG MAN feared even by captain Flint himself.
Mar 21, 2019 1:40 PM

Apr 2014
Sanxo said:
Very good animation. A 10/10 because it had magic. Everything that has magic deserves a 10 to me. The magic is not with Jim, not with Dr. Livesey, not with gray. The magic was absolutely and only with that ONE LEG MAN feared even by captain Flint himself.

Magical it was indeed...
themanualreader@proton.me
Jun 4, 2019 2:13 PM

Apr 2013
Hm I liked episode 25 better as a conclusion but I guess this still fits.
Had a lot of problems getting into it at the beginning but it really picked up halfway through to become way more engaging.
Sep 26, 2019 1:43 PM

Oct 2015
They were really stupid of giving the treasure to the crown, I felt they got robbed by being given 1000 each. After all, that treasure was a lot and had some real valuable shit, I bet those guys pocketed a large change from that loot! Puppy was the only one who used the money wisely from the rest, and Ben was the worst after he got more than him. I felt bad Gray had to die, he was my favorite character after Silver. Also I hated the fact, they had to make Jim look like young Silver. They should've at least made his hair shorter and his eyes a bit different, no sideburns! But I'm glad they had to meet up again after ten years, Silver deserved that win on that arm wrestling match otherwise I Would've flipped If Jim had won. Silver just wanted to forget everything, especially since he lost his wife and I doubt he will be a pirate again. Poor Flint though, the bird grew so old! Would've liked to have seen how Morgan and the others got by after being left there.

This was a good series, I was engulfed on the quarrel between Silver's team and Jim's team. From the stalemates to the treachery from both sides, every minute was not wasted. Too bad this series has low members, but nonetheless this was a great watch that I will rewatch someday. Wish there was a sequel though, or I Would've jumped on it.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 16, 2021 6:01 AM

Mar 2020
Nice ending, it was interesting to see what everyone did with their treasure. Also Jim looks so different now that he's older lol, I'm really sad that gray died tho... but I guess that's what he wanted to do.

This really was a good anime, so much action and adventure. Any anime that Dezaki directs is gonna be good. I really enjoyed the battle between Jim and the pirates. I wish we got to see some of Captain Flint, he seemed like a really interesting character. Silver is one of the best Villains that I've ever seen tho, I found myself rooting for him sometimes. He's such a charismatic and likeable character. I would definitely rewatch this again, 9/10
Joe, Joe Forever....
Feb 20, 2021 7:03 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
A beautiful ending. Silver and Gray stand out as one of the best characters in the whole medium. Alas, I did not enjoy much of the episodes before though.

6/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jan 30, 2023 12:39 AM

Jun 2010
The value of the treasure is never stated in this series; in the book it states it as 700,000 pounds which would make a share of 1000 pounds for each surviving crew member very poor! Since the series doesn't quote that number it's not exactly fair to take that comparison seriously, though.

The book, as a storytelling conceit, is supposedly written by Jim in adulthood reflecting back on his adventures as a boy, but it doesn't go into much detail at all about his life afterwards. Ben Gunn wasting his share of the treasure in three weeks is straight from the original, though. Rather then dying in Ireland, Gray pays for an education for himself, marries, and becomes part-owner of a large ship.

A subtext of the book is what kind of man Jim, whose father dies and cannot provide a living example, should grow up to be. John Silver is certainly one possibility who is initially appealing, but I think it's one the book ultimately says is a bad example which Jim should not follow, with Dr. Livesey emerging as a better choice. This series is a large departure from the original in this point, where every character can barely contain their admiration for Silver regardless of his treachery and murder. It seems rather heartless for Trelawney to forget the killing of Redruth or Jim to forget that Silver murdered Arrow and lied to him about it.

In the book, Jim never sees Silver again after he escapes from the ship in the Spanish colonial port, and is happy to be rid of him. That he ends this series a man explicitly resembeling Silver and nearly in tears over "my friend Silver!" takes this series from a loose adaptation to something that's fundementally different at its core. If it was going to be like this, I wonder if Silver should have been softened somehow, like removing the outright murders he is responsible for (it even adds one as Arrow dies accidently of his own fault in the book).

The series is also rather different in Jim's relantionship to authority. In the book, Jim going to shore with Silver instead of staying on board the ship with the others, and his leaving the fort to attack the ship (when every healthy person was needed on guard it since several were wounded), are both decisions he makes on his own without telling anyone; in both cases he's leaving people behind rather than working closely with them and as a result they, reluctantly, leave him behind when they trade away the map to Silver and leave the fort. At the same time, both reckless actions are ultimately vital to the success of the crew; in the first instance he runs into Ben Gunn by chance and it's with his help the treasure is found, and in the second stealing back the ship allowed them to escape once they had defeated the pirates. There are benefits and drawbacks to the way Jim acts.

In the series, he is ordered by Trelawney to go with Silver's party to the island and explains himself to Gray before going to attack the ship because the fort was being bombarded at that very moment and the way the others leave the fort which results in Jim walking into the pirates is never discussed. There's rather less going on with this aspect in the series. See also the crew's rather strange decision to give the entire treasure to the government and accept whatever reward it decides to give them.
Feb 10, 2023 1:01 PM
Oct 2019
انمي متكامل
Jul 3, 2023 1:48 PM

Feb 2019
Fronzel said:
The value of the treasure is never stated in this series; in the book it states it as 700,000 pounds which would make a share of 1000 pounds for each surviving crew member very poor! Since the series doesn't quote that number it's not exactly fair to take that comparison seriously, though.

The book, as a storytelling conceit, is supposedly written by Jim in adulthood reflecting back on his adventures as a boy, but it doesn't go into much detail at all about his life afterwards. Ben Gunn wasting his share of the treasure in three weeks is straight from the original, though. Rather then dying in Ireland, Gray pays for an education for himself, marries, and becomes part-owner of a large ship.

A subtext of the book is what kind of man Jim, whose father dies and cannot provide a living example, should grow up to be. John Silver is certainly one possibility who is initially appealing, but I think it's one the book ultimately says is a bad example which Jim should not follow, with Dr. Livesey emerging as a better choice. This series is a large departure from the original in this point, where every character can barely contain their admiration for Silver regardless of his treachery and murder. It seems rather heartless for Trelawney to forget the killing of Redruth or Jim to forget that Silver murdered Arrow and lied to him about it.

In the book, Jim never sees Silver again after he escapes from the ship in the Spanish colonial port, and is happy to be rid of him. That he ends this series a man explicitly resembeling Silver and nearly in tears over "my friend Silver!" takes this series from a loose adaptation to something that's fundementally different at its core. If it was going to be like this, I wonder if Silver should have been softened somehow, like removing the outright murders he is responsible for (it even adds one as Arrow dies accidently of his own fault in the book).

The series is also rather different in Jim's relantionship to authority. In the book, Jim going to shore with Silver instead of staying on board the ship with the others, and his leaving the fort to attack the ship (when every healthy person was needed on guard it since several were wounded), are both decisions he makes on his own without telling anyone; in both cases he's leaving people behind rather than working closely with them and as a result they, reluctantly, leave him behind when they trade away the map to Silver and leave the fort. At the same time, both reckless actions are ultimately vital to the success of the crew; in the first instance he runs into Ben Gunn by chance and it's with his help the treasure is found, and in the second stealing back the ship allowed them to escape once they had defeated the pirates. There are benefits and drawbacks to the way Jim acts.

In the series, he is ordered by Trelawney to go with Silver's party to the island and explains himself to Gray before going to attack the ship because the fort was being bombarded at that very moment and the way the others leave the fort which results in Jim walking into the pirates is never discussed. There's rather less going on with this aspect in the series. See also the crew's rather strange decision to give the entire treasure to the government and accept whatever reward it decides to give them.
I just wanted to thank you for your explanations regarding the differences to the book, I think that's really great insight and context and I appreciate you leaving this information in the discussions.

In any case for me, it's probably one of my new favorites. It was just like what that other person said, it was magical. I loved every bit of it. 
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Aug 14, 2023 11:49 AM

May 2018
Teirayo said:
it was magical. I loved every bit of it.

If you liked this insane, trippy and fun version of Treasure Island, how about Hakugei Densetsu aka Moby Dick In Space which is too by Dezaki? Also captain Ahab resembles John Silver very much. Another option would be Space Cobra (the series, not the movie which I recommend to skip, since in the TV you will get more details and some changes for good).
Aug 24, 2023 3:39 PM

Feb 2019
alshu said:
Teirayo said:
it was magical. I loved every bit of it.

If you liked this insane, trippy and fun version of Treasure Island, how about Hakugei Densetsu aka Moby Dick In Space which is too by Dezaki? Also captain Ahab resembles John Silver very much. Another option would be Space Cobra (the series, not the movie which I recommend to skip, since in the TV you will get more details and some changes for good). 

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm happy to hear from you, were you rewatching Takarajima? I didn't really pay much attention to Hakugei Densetsu when I went through Dezaki's catalogue before but now that you explained what it is I'll definitely check it out. As for Space Cobra mmm atm I think I'd only watch it with someone else, I know it's probably shallow but right now it just seems like a "guy-only" type of show, like I wouldn't get as much enjoyment out of it as a girl. I'm not a huge fan of action scenes and action-movie type of stuff, which is the feeling I got from it. But I could be wrong of course! After all it's just judging a book by a cover at this time lol. It's a bit of a shame though, although I'm sure I'll like Dezaki's other works I wish there were more anime old or new with a tropical setting like this or like- pure adventure series in different/unique environments. 

No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"

More topics from this board

Poll: » Takarajima Episode 3 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Feb 4, 2014

9 by rawabi_sama »»
Sep 19, 2023 4:36 AM

» How does this compare to the more famous russian version?

anizawa89 - Jul 23, 2023

1 by Ichijo_HikaruHDD »»
Jul 23, 2023 2:33 PM

Poll: » Takarajima Episode 1 Discussion

10 by johneaston »»
Jul 20, 2023 7:17 PM

Poll: » Takarajima Episode 23 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Feb 8, 2014

8 by Deuc3prod »»
Jun 13, 2023 4:05 PM

Poll: » Takarajima Episode 2 Discussion

9 by Teirayo »»
May 24, 2023 10:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.