Forum Settings
Forums
Jan 19, 2009 5:01 AM

Sohei said:
Which is why, for some people it is a good idea to learn japanese, especially if you're planning on doing something business related in east asia (like me).

Out of 7 major territories in East Asia:
3 can understand Mandarin Chinese
1 speaks Portuguese and Cantonese
1 Mongolian
1 Korean ( North and South Korea as a whole)
1 Japanese

What you mean is that it's a good idea to learn Japanese if you're planning on doing something business related in Japan right? ;)

I think most of you can't really deny the fact that you're learning Japanese only because you think it's cool. Unless of course, you're doing business in Japan... and Japan only.

hikky said:
I dunno. I think the funny part of it is that what "most of them" are attracted to is not really Japan so much as a part of Japan which they seem to think is really a much larger part of Japan than it is, and then that attraction ends up extending to much more mundane and common Japanese things, like eating (Terribly un-authentic) ramen or going to the local sushi bar... or acting like they're in the presence of a celebrity every time they talk to a Japanese person. It's also funny because this is exactly how many younger Japanese people act with western countries (Although, granted.. there is actually a real and clear benefit to learning English as a second language).

You speak my mind out there. XD
Modified by Mouhappai, Jan 19, 2009 5:13 AM

Jan 19, 2009 5:30 AM

English - Perfect / depends on how much effort I want to put in to it.. :o
Dutch - Almost Perfect / Even though it's my native language dutch grammar is a bitch...:P

Japanese - I understand the majority of basic conversations and I can read quite a bit of it to as long its in romanji <_<

I also understand german for the most part..

Jan 19, 2009 5:40 AM

English for sure.

Went through my high school years learning french, I can just barely read it, but not too long ago I heard a 3 year old speaking it and I didn't have a clue what about...

Jan 19, 2009 5:53 AM

English
and my own secret language i made up that only me and me can understand :)

Jan 19, 2009 6:00 AM

German and English fluently.
Learning Icelandic. My skills are increasing there while my French worsens from day to day. xD
I also understand a bit of Norwegian and Swedish.

Jan 19, 2009 7:28 AM

My language is Hmoob, americans cant pronouce it so they gave us "how to spell it" mung...omg mung... its not mung..

well im learning Japanese, then Chinese, then cantonese since cantonese is related towards chinese..... yup... loonngggg way.... especially with kanji
::: (\(\
*: (=' :') :*
•.. (,('')('')¤°﹒‧°‧° ☆.(¯`•.•´¯)
.°☆ ‧°‧°☆∴° ☆ ¤º… `•.¸.•´ ☆™

Jan 19, 2009 7:37 AM

SmileWithMe said:

What you mean is that it's a good idea to learn Japanese if you're planning on doing something business related in Japan right? ;)

I think most of you can't really deny the fact that you're learning Japanese only because you think it's cool. Unless of course, you're doing business in Japan... and Japan only.

Purely statistical, yes.
But tell me, how much economic activity do you think takes place in Mongolia, Vietnam or central China? Not much.
Most Chinese (from Hong Kong, Shanghai, singapore or Taipei) speak english, so there isn't really much of a problem. The problem lies in the fatc that most Japanese, even the businessmen, hardly speak any english, therefore it is a major advantage to speak japanese, especially since it is the largest asian economy.

Also, i started learning japanese way before i got interested in Anime, or thought japan was "cool".

Jan 19, 2009 9:35 AM
I speak German fluently. My English skills are rather rusty, though.
And I'm currently learning Japanese with "approved" methods... but theres still a long way to go. Especially with Kanji ~_~

Jan 20, 2009 6:37 AM

Sohei said:
Purely statistical, yes.
But tell me, how much economic activity do you think takes place in Mongolia, Vietnam or central China? Not much.
Most Chinese (from Hong Kong, Shanghai, singapore or Taipei) speak english, so there isn't really much of a problem. The problem lies in the fatc that most Japanese, even the businessmen, hardly speak any english, therefore it is a major advantage to speak japanese, especially since it is the largest asian economy.

That's quite true I guess.

Nevertheless, if they know anything about business and economics, Japan's businessmen would at least bother to learn some English, like the rest of the Asian territories. It's quite silly if they think they can do business with the world with the Japanese language as their only means of communication.

Yes... most Japanese hardly speaking any English is a fact, I won't deny that. But the other fact also remains that most Chinese I met - be it in real life, on forums, or even online games - could hardly understand basic English. Doesn't that make knowing how to speak Mandarin Chinese as much a major advantage as knowing how to speak Japanese?

Jan 20, 2009 7:18 AM

I speak Swedish, English and German fluently.
Other than that both my Italian and French are good enough and I'm currently learning Japanese ^_^

Jan 20, 2009 7:34 AM

Dutch is my first language. I can speak english and german fluently. Also a bit french (Learned it for 3 years at school). And now i'm learning japanese

Jan 20, 2009 7:38 AM

Portuguese and English.

Jan 20, 2009 7:42 AM

swedish, english.

Jan 20, 2009 7:45 AM

SmileWithMe said:

Nevertheless, if they know anything about business and economics, Japan's businessmen would at least bother to learn some English, like the rest of the Asian territories. It's quite silly if they think they can do business with the world with the Japanese language as their only means of communication.

Well the funny thing is, everbody adapts to the japanese in asia. Hotels have japanese speaking receptionists, and many companies employ japanese translators.
Also, when it contact europeans and americans, many japanese try to learn english, but at age 30-40 it doesn't really help too much.. i speak with experience on that : P
SmileWithMe said:

Yes... most Japanese hardly speaking any English is a fact, I won't deny that. But the other fact also remains that most Chinese I met - be it in real life, on forums, or even online games - could hardly understand basic English. Doesn't that make knowing how to speak Mandarin Chinese as much a major advantage as knowing how to speak Japanese?

The difference is that most business is not conducted through mainland China but through cities with large english speaking populations such as Hong Kong and Shanghai.

but whatever, this s getting off topic : P

Jan 20, 2009 7:53 AM
English.

Currently minoring/majoring in Spanish and Japanese. I kind of want to take another language, but since it would be on my own time, I can't really see it happening.

Jan 20, 2009 10:32 AM

My main language is Dutch, I also speak English en German.

Jan 20, 2009 1:47 PM

Roumanian is my first language.I'm very good at english and I started to learn german.I'm also pretty good at french.

Jan 20, 2009 2:25 PM

I speak greek engish and german fluently :p greek is my first language.
btw my new years resolution was to learn every year a new language hehe

Jan 20, 2009 2:29 PM
catwitch said:
I speak greek engish and german fluently :p greek is my first language.
btw my new years resolution was to learn every year a new language hehe

If I had the mindset and patience to do that, it would be amazing. Good luck.

Jan 20, 2009 2:32 PM

English and German is my minor in college.

Watching: Lain + Reading: Kimi ni Todoke

Jan 20, 2009 2:46 PM

English. I'm failing my 3rd year in Spanish, and the only reason I'm still taking it is coz I have to to graduate, and I wanna take Japanese.

Jan 20, 2009 3:23 PM

Korean : Fluent
English : Fluent
French : Can somewhat understand and write. Can't speak well at all =P
Japanese : Basics + many Kanji
Chinese : Just started this semester.

Pronunciation aside, I do know a lot of Chinese characters both used in Japanese and... well Chinese (=P) from knowing Hanja.
Some words sound similar and mean the same in Korean, Japanese and Chinese so I can recognize some.

Hopefully in a few years the end of that list will improve with a possible addition of Latin...

Jan 21, 2009 1:41 AM

body language

Jan 21, 2009 8:52 AM

djinn_690 said:
body language

XD

indonesian, javanese, english

Jan 21, 2009 9:42 AM

Tagalog (Filipino) - Fluent
English - Fluent
Arabic - Formerly Fluent
Japanese - Hiragana and Katakana down, Kanji not so much LOL

Jan 21, 2009 10:46 AM

English, German, French; some Japanese and Arabic words ^^; and maybe some Italian...
*hasn't spoken many languages besides English and random Japanese lately*

Jan 21, 2009 12:02 PM

English and Spanish

Jan 21, 2009 12:15 PM

English
And some random German/French swear words etc..

Jan 21, 2009 12:30 PM

English, French, Dutch, Mandarin and Cantonese.
"No, if you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic." - House

Jan 21, 2009 12:34 PM

My Language: Dutch.

English 100%
German 70%
Swedish 2% :D
Japanese 1%..
French 30%

Jan 21, 2009 12:36 PM

Redictus said:

fluent in five languages. nice ! : )
i only have 3 down completely.

Jan 21, 2009 1:10 PM

My native language is Dutch , but I can also speak english very good and I'm average or slightly above average in german and french and still noob but more than nothing @ Danish , Spanish and of course, Japanese

Jan 21, 2009 1:33 PM

Swedish & English.

and some:
Russian

Jan 21, 2009 3:08 PM

Portuguese and English, and although i can't speak I can understand perfectly Spanish

Jan 21, 2009 3:12 PM

English is my main; and I'm trying to learn Japanese, as well as the writing system. I'm just starting Katakana though, and I know a few random Kanji >.>'

And if I look at a spanish sentence long enough, I can sort of decipher it; I have no interest in learning it; however.

Jan 21, 2009 3:15 PM

I can speak American

Jan 21, 2009 3:23 PM
German - fluent
French - fluent but im not so good at writing (did someone try to learn how to write in french? freakin nightmare)
Luxemburgish - fluent
English - fluent
no

Jan 21, 2009 4:19 PM
English - Fluent (obviously)
French - Can write well enough but my pronunciation needs work.
Japanese - I know several words and slang, and know basic sentence structure but still can't read anything in Japanese characters except Nanoha.
German - Only a few words

Jan 21, 2009 4:26 PM

Fluent in English and Korean
Japanese is intermediate (Can carry conversations and what not) and learning French.

Jan 21, 2009 5:36 PM

Sohei said:
Redictus said:

fluent in five languages. nice ! : )
i only have 3 down completely.

That's what you have for living in Europe with Chinese parents. Parents teach you mandarin, your Chinese relatives get you to pick up Cantonese and Belgiums national language is Dutch, where the 2nd language is French. French and English are both languages I had to study in school and I decided to go in-debt in French to become a French teacher.

lcky_rain said:
Fluent in English and Korean
Japanese is intermediate (Can carry conversations and what not) and learning French.

Amagad a Korean!
"No, if you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic." - House

Jan 21, 2009 7:01 PM

English, slightly dodgy French and leetspeak. ^^
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

Jan 22, 2009 3:43 AM

Finnish: My home language :p
Swedish: ok
Germany: I don't like... I can't speak very well :'D
Japanese: pretty good, hiraganas, couple of katakanas, couple of kanjis and plenty of normal words.
English: I guess that very well :'''D

Jan 22, 2009 4:25 AM

Swedish is my primary language

I've been studying French for six years. I don't have anything else to say, since I don't know how well I know the language.

My mother is from Finlande, so I understand a bit Finnish, I can't say anything though.

My English is so-so. My spoken English is much better that my written.

Jan 22, 2009 4:46 AM

English: really good
French: really bad (i hate french and regret learning any of it)
Japanese: trying to learn how to read hiragana/katakana words and memorize a bunch of kanji, pretty complicated :(

Jan 22, 2009 6:31 AM

My native language is Portuguese.

English: know enough to live in USA (I think)
Japanese: just some random words
Spanish: since it reminds a lot of portuguese I can understand it pretty well, but I hate it

Have been interested in German and a little of French

Jan 22, 2009 9:43 AM

There are alot of Dutch people here.. or at least people who can speak Dutch..

-Well sticks and stones can brake your bones,
But a twelve-gage sawed-off will blow your fuckin' head off.

Jan 22, 2009 2:00 PM
Izzy_Dixie said:
There are alot of Dutch people here.. or at least people who can speak Dutch..
Dutch is useful. It's the official language of the Netherlands, which is one of the few developed countries that allows marijuana smoking.

Jan 22, 2009 2:10 PM

I have Dutch as my primary language.

I'm fluent in French and English, either writing, reading or speaking.

I know a little bit German and Greek.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh

Jan 22, 2009 4:25 PM

English and Swedish are my primary languages.
Studied chinese for two years, jumped over to japanese.
Knows abit german, (buy stuff, hi/bye ask for directions)

Jan 22, 2009 4:30 PM

English and Spanish.
Wouldn't be surprised if someone said Japanese though. /sigh
Gone.

Pages (26) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »