Russian - can read and write and understand a bit
German - same with Russian
Latin & Japanese - know a little bit

Jan 16, 2009 7:35 AM

English, Spanish, and learning Japanese

& &

Jan 16, 2009 8:03 AM

Tagalog = main (Philippines)
English = secondary (for international and formal purposes)
Japanese = trying hard XD

Jan 16, 2009 8:08 AM

German - main
English - secondary, but its almost like my mothertongue
French - speak it better than write it, understand it well
Croatian - bits and pieces
Spanish - same as croatian
and
from few to a lot of words that make no sense when you put them together in at least 3 other languages

Jan 16, 2009 8:32 AM

Norwegian - Perfecto!
English - Awesome
Albanian - Perfecto +++

:DD:

Jan 16, 2009 8:48 AM

fluent in Dutch, English
semi fluent in japanese and french (conjugation is ok)
can understand german

Jan 16, 2009 8:55 AM

Filipino, and English.

Jan 16, 2009 9:16 AM

Just swedish and english
Instagram: Luzifurr

Jan 16, 2009 9:18 AM

Americanese with a heavy dose of english.

Jan 16, 2009 9:23 AM

Spanish: My primary language.
Japanese: The slightest as well.
French: beginner's edition.

8)

Jan 16, 2009 9:23 AM

Russian - Primary, Perfect.
Hebrew - Secondary, Exellent.
English - Fluent.
Ukranian - Not really good at speaking, but can understand about 65-80%.
Japanese - Basic level, just can manage simple conversations.

Jan 16, 2009 9:36 AM

English
Italian-Enough to get by
Brazilian Portuguese- I understand some from working with Brazilians who didn't speak much English and listening to them talking all day every summer for a few years.
German-I took a class that had the worst teacher ever, so I only know a few words and phrases.

Jan 16, 2009 9:48 AM

My native language is Portuguese.

Foreign languages I speak:

English
Spanish (needs practice)

Currently I'm learning German.

Jan 16, 2009 9:49 AM

Native English
Something like basic fluency in Japanese. Understand almost all of what I hear unless it's technical or political type of discussion and can carry out specific and meaningful conversations spoken, and written is catching up.

Plenty of languages I know "a little bit" or "basic" in but I don't see the point of including those.. that's like.. a tiny fraction of a percent of what you need to know to learn a language..

Jan 16, 2009 10:10 AM

Umm... did I post in this thread already? If not... =P

Norwegian: Perfekt! (native tongue)
English: Outstanding!
German: Gut
Japanese: Uh... not so much =P

Can some Swedish and Danish, since they're so similar to Norwegian =P

Jan 16, 2009 10:24 AM

Swedish - my primary language.
Danish.
English.
French.
Japanese - Perfect. (Not)

Russia, Finnish, Norwegian.

Jan 16, 2009 10:28 AM

Dutch - Primary
English - OMG!
Indonesian - Adequate

..and tiny bits of French and German.
Even tinier bits of Japanese and Chinese.

Jan 16, 2009 10:48 AM
Swedish is my mother tongue. :)

English: Very good.

German: A little.

Danish: Much, because it's very similar to swedish.

Norwegian: It's same as with danish, it's very similar to swedish.

Icelandic: Quite similar to swedish, not as much as danish and norwegian though.

Dutch: Dutch is similar to english, german and swedish so I understand pretty much of it when I read it.

Jan 16, 2009 12:11 PM

England is my home country (:
Fluent in French - learnt it for 7 years
Semi Fluent in Japanese - 2 years
Ok at Spanish
Some German

Jan 16, 2009 12:13 PM

I speak English,
but I'm learning Latin, though it is only for the Foreign language credits for a Advanced diploma

Jan 16, 2009 12:22 PM

Russian
Úkrainian
English
German

some Swedish and Dutch...

and ýes someone said, Dutch is understandable and speakable as it is similar to German.

Jan 16, 2009 12:25 PM

English primarily.
Conversational Spanish
Some, but not much, Tagalog and Japanese

Jan 16, 2009 2:48 PM

I can speak english and spanish fluently, I can understand some Italian and most of Portuguese and know basic Japanese.

Jan 16, 2009 4:54 PM

English: Native
Japanese: 2 years of classes so far; getting better at it. :)

And I want to learn Latin... I'll get around to that someday.

Jan 16, 2009 5:04 PM

Norwegian, can communicate with Danes and Swedes as well, A very basic understanding of French and a quite in depth mastery of English.

Also the Black Tongue. Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

Jan 16, 2009 8:32 PM
I speak mandarin (my mother language), English (fluent), cantonese and malay.

Jan 16, 2009 8:41 PM

I speak a Filipino Language called Bicolano

and because my language uses Spanish words, I know a little bit of Spanish and such.

I can also understand Tagalog.

And... I think English fits in here somewhere.

Although there are hundreds of languages I'd love to learn... like Swahili. x!ible.
What isn't red? What isn't blue?

Jan 16, 2009 8:48 PM
I speak English and Spanish.... I can speak some Japanese

Jan 16, 2009 8:56 PM

i speak english and im learning spanish

Jan 16, 2009 9:11 PM

Jan 16, 2009 11:55 PM

I speak Cantonese as my first.
English and Mandarin Chinese come after.

Just out of curiosity... do the majority know/learn Japanese because "it's cool" or was it because it's a course that you pick at school?

Jan 17, 2009 12:59 AM

SmileWithMe said:
I speak Cantonese as my first.
English and Mandarin Chinese come after.

Just out of curiosity... do the majority know/learn Japanese because "it's cool" or was it because it's a course that you pick at school?

For me it was just because watching so much anime made it easy to do. I just had to pick out vocab and use it in other things online and I was able to learn at a good pace.

But once I've gotten to this point where I can actually discuss things in detail with native speakers and sort of come to realize that I'm just another white novelty speaking Japanese, I almost wish I had learned a different language. I don't necessarily think Japanese is "cool" at all really... I just think it's another language and another culture with its own pros and cons. (And let's be honest, only a few of the people listing Japanese in here know it to any level of significance. I think that's kind of natural because everyone around here is bound to know a few words at least from watching anime.) It's interesting, but I don't know how much I'll honestly ever use it aside from on the internet. Even if I go to Japan, I don't plan to spend my life there.

I mean, I don't regret learning a second language, but I think there might have been more useful choices that I could have gone with (Mandarin or Cantonese being an example). I still plan to learn more languages but as a lot of people know it takes a lot of time..

Jan 17, 2009 1:17 AM

I can speak :
- French (mother tongue, so I guess I'm fluent with it obviously XD)
- English (quite good I guess)
- Japanese (I learned it when I was still at school and I can understand it quite well but reading it is a pain x_x)
- Italian (a little bit because my grand mother comes from Italy and often speaks Italian)
- German (Although I've studied it for 5 years, I still can't make a proper sentence >.<)

Jan 17, 2009 1:37 AM
english and viet :)

Jan 17, 2009 2:29 AM

Dutch: Perfect
English : Perfect
French: Good enough.
Japanese : Learning (next year at univercity)

Jan 17, 2009 3:01 AM
Russian: Motherlanguage
German: I live in Germany since 10 years
English: good
French: average
Spanish: average

Jan 17, 2009 3:28 AM

English and Filipino

Jan 17, 2009 5:55 AM
The languages that I'm good with are:

- English
- French
- Spanish
- Italian

Jan 17, 2009 8:06 AM

hikky said:
For me it was just because watching so much anime made it easy to do. I just had to pick out vocab and use it in other things online and I was able to learn at a good pace.

I mean, I don't regret learning a second language, but I think there might have been more useful choices that I could have gone with (Mandarin or Cantonese being an example). I still plan to learn more languages but as a lot of people know it takes a lot of time..

Indeed... I'd actually like to learn a couple more languages myself but I just can't find the time for it. You mentioned Cantonese being a useful choice? Hehe I think not. It's never used on the internet and despite being commonly spoken in Chinatown, it's rarely even used in Asia.

Anyway, I think Japan deserves a pat on the back for having raked in such a large fan base in America. I'd be proud too, if I see non-natives putting phrases from my mother language in their sigs and avatars, and ditching all other Asian languages to learn my native tongue! It's like the "Westernizing" period when America got the power. Soon we'd be "Japanizing" lol. XD

Jan 18, 2009 8:16 AM

My first language is German,so of course I speak it fluently =)
and because my parents are from Turkey I speak Turkish almost perfectly too.
In school I learn English(5 years) & French(4 years) and at the moment I'm (trying) to learn Japanes but that can't be called speak ^^

Jan 18, 2009 8:52 AM

Filipino and English
although I want to learn other languages as well

Jan 18, 2009 9:26 AM
I can speak English, Russian, Japanese(don't know so well as i wanna -__-")

Jan 18, 2009 11:40 AM

My native tongue is Russian)))
But i learn Latin,German and English in my institute)))I'd like to learn Japanese(of cource)but i think it's too difficult for me(((>__<

Jan 18, 2009 11:49 AM

English is my first language.
I have been learning French for 3 years.
I used to speak Italian, but forgot.
I am learning Japanese.

I feel so unique!!! I bet I'm the only one who is learning Welsh!!! I feel ashamed, it's my native language and I don't know it. I have been learning it for 10 years.

Jan 18, 2009 12:45 PM

SmileWithMe said:
hikky said:

Indeed... I'd actually like to learn a couple more languages myself but I just can't find the time for it. You mentioned Cantonese being a useful choice? Hehe I think not. It's never used on the internet and despite being commonly spoken in Chinatown, it's rarely even used in Asia.

Anyway, I think Japan deserves a pat on the back for having raked in such a large fan base in America. I'd be proud too, if I see non-natives putting phrases from my mother language in their sigs and avatars, and ditching all other Asian languages to learn my native tongue! It's like the "Westernizing" period when America got the power. Soon we'd be "Japanizing" lol. XD

I dunno. I think the funny part of it is that what "most of them" are attracted to is not really Japan so much as a part of Japan which they seem to think is really a much larger part of Japan than it is, and then that attraction ends up extending to much more mundane and common Japanese things, like eating (Terribly un-authentic) ramen or going to the local sushi bar... or acting like they're in the presence of a celebrity every time they talk to a Japanese person. It's also funny because this is exactly how many younger Japanese people act with western countries (Although, granted.. there is actually a real and clear benefit to learning English as a second language).

I don't think we're "Japanizing" any time soon though. People tend to grow out of the anime/weeaboo/gothic-lollita/whatever phase, and while it might have a dedicated following online, I wouldn't say it's necessarily a large following in any one area. I can't see Japan in western society ever being much more than one of many disposable novelties with which westerners entertain themselves here and there. As for pride, I think it depends on the person. The younger generation likes it, I think some of the older or the country people really don't want that sort of change and westernization though. Xenophobia is still a very real thing beyond the scope of Tokyo.

Anyway, even though I know this is an anime forum, I'm still surprised to see so many people listing "Japanese" as something they want to learn. I'm thinking there's no serious resolve to spend the time it takes to learn it there, because it just doesn't seem like an effective cost-reward if you're not planning to live in Japan for a long period of time... I guess I just still can't see Japan as ever becoming the sort of multi-cultural and all-inclusive place that America is though.

Jan 18, 2009 12:53 PM

hikky said:
I guess I just still can't see Japan as ever becoming the sort of multi-cultural and all-inclusive place that America is though.

Which is why, for some people it is a good idea to learn japanese, especially if you're planning on doing something business related in east asia (like me).

Learning japanese just for the sake of being cool or "lulz" it pretty useless now.
I wonder how many people actually have a good reason for studying japanese other than because they like that one part of japanese culture called anime (and in extent, japo food, inventions, companies etc).

Jan 18, 2009 1:41 PM

Lithuanian
Russian
English
medium Polish
can understand German
gonna learn Japanese!

Jan 18, 2009 2:01 PM
tlhIngan Hol in Klingon.

taH pagh taHbe'...

Jan 18, 2009 2:07 PM

I can speak Dutch and English.. I get German and French on my school..but I really, really, REALLY suck in both

-Well sticks and stones can brake your bones,
But a twelve-gage sawed-off will blow your fuckin' head off.

Jan 18, 2009 2:53 PM

Maglor said:

English : Perfect
Japanese : Learning (next year at univercity)

i lold

Pages (26) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »