Forum Settings
Forums
Aug 26, 2012 8:15 AM

The 2nd picture: The dude looks like pinocho WTF!.. .haahhaha!

Aug 26, 2012 8:16 AM

I actually like the old graphics better like in Slayers,Cowboy Bebop,outlaw Star,GTO,etc

Aug 26, 2012 8:20 AM
I like them.Just think about it(GTO,Hajime no Ippo,etc.)are great and they have old graphics.

Aug 26, 2012 8:20 AM
petalshreds said:
Jeddy017 said:
I don't hate old anime graphics because.......it's the graphics of an OLD anime.I mean why would I hate 1940s movies graphics in a movie from the 1940s?

clever. i too wouldn't hate old graphics... except when it's used in recent anime...but is there any case like that?

Mars Of Destruction (2005) = Eye Cancer

OhNasti said:
Older than NGE and Samurai X

Are not watchable for me. ( dont think so )

Exept:

lol

Aug 26, 2012 8:25 AM

the black and white shows are the only ones that I'm not really into, other than that I don't mind stuff like the original Macross or Galaxy Express 999, or even Speed Racer

Aug 26, 2012 8:33 AM

No, I appreciate all kinds of anime art, no matter how old it is. What matters to me is if the anime looks like to be an interesting series to watch, based on the story and the characters it has.

Aug 26, 2012 8:44 AM
kanon-chan said:
No, I appreciate all kinds of anime art, no matter how old it is. What matters to me is if the anime looks like to be an interesting series to watch, based on the story and the characters it has.

Some people don't care about story or characters. Art is just too important for them.

What if Guilty Crown was made in 1990 (With obviously 1990 Art/Graphics? And no difference in story or characters?

1/10's throughout!

Aug 26, 2012 9:12 AM
otaking
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
I just rewatched the last episode of Escaflowne and I still see no problem with the art/graphics or their noses.

1996 is not THAT old though

no it realy not that old
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Aug 26, 2012 9:16 AM

Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
kanon-chan said:

Some people don't care about story or characters. Art is just too important for them.

What if Guilty Crown was made in 1990 (With obviously 1990 Art/Graphics? And no difference in story or characters?

1/10's throughout!

This is the worst reasoning ever. You should feel bad.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor

Aug 26, 2012 9:18 AM

Many of the best series of all time are 30-40 years old now. To let graphics get in the way of enjoying them would be pretty lame. If I was that hung up on graphics I never would have been able to enjoy Rose of Versailles, Ashita no Joe, Future Boy Conan, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Berserk, Trigun etc.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 26, 2012 9:32 AM

oODannyOo said:
Does anyone else beside me hate old anime graphics? I can't stand when to graphics are so weird like that
although people who like it probably think that in another way. Please let me know. My friends i know in real life aren't even bothered of the graphics.

I don't really care what style of animation they use.But what do you consider old? I would considering anything older than 20 years to be old,anything before I was born to be really old and anything before the 1950s to be holy shit thats old.

Aug 26, 2012 9:37 AM

Seiferz said:
Story is more important so graphs doesn't matter!!:P

yeps.

Aug 26, 2012 9:44 AM
toybox said:
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
kanon-chan said:

1/10's throughout!

This is the worst reasoning ever. You should feel bad.

No, its good reasoning(although it was actually just a example).

I saw lots of comments that say stuff like this:(not just guilty crown)

"7/10 just because of the awesome art/animation"
"8/10. If it looked better I would have rated it higher"

That's bad reasoning.

Aug 26, 2012 9:50 AM

i never watched any old graphic anime before but im watching ah my goddess right now, and at first i was going to drop it cause of how it looked but i ended up enjoying it so im still watching it .... so i guess i dont mind
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 26, 2012 11:51 AM

No. I hate the new styles because they don't know how to draw breasts anymore. Don't like breasts that can poke someone's eyes.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Aug 26, 2012 1:59 PM

Nah, that ain't me.

Aug 26, 2012 2:09 PM

Art isn't that important for me. As long as a story is really good, then I would keep watching. If it did have good art but a bad plot, I still might consider it.

I like new art styles more than old but the plot is more important.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Aug 26, 2012 2:11 PM

They're perfectly fine by me, I just hate when the quality is bad.

Aug 26, 2012 2:12 PM

I wouldn't say I hate them. But I definitely like it more when shows are digitally done as opposed to using cells.

Aug 26, 2012 2:34 PM

As one person in here (forgot the person) it does take time in getting used to but if you keep watching it you won't even notice the graphics

Aug 26, 2012 2:41 PM

I don't like the digital style of newer anime, it looks lazy and the animation doesn't look as good. The older anime visuals have a more human touch to them and are often more detailed. I think the best way to explain how good the cell style is, is to watch the last episode of Golden Boy and see how much work goes into making older anime.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Aug 26, 2012 2:47 PM

If anyone wants to see the "evolution" of anime graphics just look at pokemon's first season and compare it with the new season.

Aug 26, 2012 2:48 PM
Anime Moderator
What's to hate?
For example - I'm watching Sexy Commando Gaiden right now. Art is CRAP. TOTAL CRAP. But it's still hilarious.

Aug 26, 2012 3:37 PM
I don't hate them, I just don't relly watch alot of old animes in the first place. I plan on to watch some though.

Aug 26, 2012 4:14 PM
i feel bored when i look at old graphics. it just makes me feel like dropping the show

Aug 26, 2012 4:52 PM

drinkbeer said:
i feel bored when i look at old graphics. it just makes me feel like dropping the show

Aug 26, 2012 4:56 PM
drinkbeer said:
i feel old when i look at old graphics. it just makes me feel like dropping the show

Because lazy.

Aug 26, 2012 5:02 PM

I personally like new graphics better.

Aug 26, 2012 5:05 PM

bottosai-01 said:
I don't like the digital style of newer anime, it looks lazy and the animation doesn't look as good. The older anime visuals have a more human touch to them and are often more detailed.

I agree. I think this is why I like older graphics better. Part of the reason why I love Miyazaki's films is because a good chunk (if not everything) is hand-drawn on paper.

Aug 26, 2012 6:06 PM

I most certainly did not dislike Rose of Versailles, and am certainly not disliking Legend of the Galactic Heroes as of the moment.

edit: The above message is apparently confusing, to some extent. Allow me to rephrase myself. "I thoroughly enjoyed Rose of Versailles, and am currently finding LoGH very promising."
Modified by Rakutomi, Aug 26, 2012 8:06 PM

Aug 26, 2012 8:37 PM

i don't mind old manga art , but i do mind old anime art mostly because of the use of color

Aug 26, 2012 9:07 PM

I used to hate "old" anime art when I was a kid. When my anime knowledge was limited to really recent, really over-done stuff.

In fact, back in those days I didn't even like Cowboy Bebop because it looked too old (and that is, in the scope of time, a -fairly- recent series!). My eyes exploded at Tezuka's old works, and stuff like Mazinger Z old mecha.

As a preteen and early to mid teenager, I guess I only had eyes for the anime style of 2000's+. I couldn't stand anime older than that because of the art....And I would barely give it a chance.

Now, however, that is not the case. I still have my preferences, but I give more chances now.
Oh, and speaking of older anime, I've been wanting to watch Galaxy Express 999...Is it worth the long episode count? :D
Modified by Valkyrie_Wings, Aug 26, 2012 9:11 PM

Aug 26, 2012 9:41 PM
*shrug* I don't mind it.. I noticed a lot of the "old stylings" of anime have much better storylines.
I mean.. look at Trigun, and look at Cowboy bebop and Rurouni Kenshin (Only 3 I really remember that were old and were amazing) They have old style anime.. but probably are some of the best anime's out there.
Now with your "new anime graphics" All you see is.. boob grabbing harems and awkward situations. You will rarely see a classic anime like Cowboy bebop to appear.. So I don't know.. Comparisons of graphics also turn to the bad side where.. the older anime's with old graphics.. have much better story lines and less stupidity in the sense where.. it's a boob grab here and there and awkward situations. (It's super frequent now in Anime.. no matter what anime it is.. it usually happens once or twice in the series)

Aug 26, 2012 9:58 PM

Wow, reading this thread made me realize how many of you have shit taste. That, and all of you are practically kids.

Aug 26, 2012 10:09 PM

I don't like it when anime studios use computer graphics to animate things. That drives me insane. It kills the whole feel of the show/movie. But I love good anime regardless of what the style was. I don't understand why there are people who can't stand older styles, anyway. In my opinion, if you can't enjoy anime because of when it was made or it's art style then you can't call yourself Otaku. Part of what makes anime great is it's history. Astro Boy, Gigantor, Akira, Hajime no Ippo, there are a TON of older Anime classics that blow away a lot of the garbage that's out there now *COUGH* BLEACH! *COUGH*

Maybe I'm just old school, but I don't think anime is as good as it used to be nowadays. There's too much junk to weed through to get to anything that's new and good at the same time.

Aug 26, 2012 10:57 PM

21 said:
Wow, reading this thread made me realize how many of you have shit taste. That, and all of you are practically kids.

I was going to post something along the lines of this (though probably not as direct), but now I don't have to.

Aug 26, 2012 11:26 PM

I never cared for graphics much. As long as the characters, story, and artwork is good, then I like it no matter what year it is from.

Aug 27, 2012 5:21 AM

As long as I can understand them, I don't really care about for the graphics.

Aug 27, 2012 9:40 AM
21 said:

Duh, because you are obviously sick in the mind if you watch anime when you are not a kid any more...

Aug 27, 2012 9:45 AM

that's why i don't watch really old shows. :(

Aug 27, 2012 9:49 AM
Although I mostly watch mainstream anime, I would still as of today put an anime with 'old' animation on my PTW list. Old anime graphics are actually good because you get the feeling of it back then. For example, Prince of tennis is kind of old but i got a nostalgic feeling watching it! I just hope they don't make newer versions like some studios do!

Question to the mass: Did these answer make any sense at all? Can you relate to it? lol.

Aug 27, 2012 9:52 AM

i love older shows but am often not sure what to watch. there are a few people in this thread whom i really respect, and their answers to this thread were dead on. I am shocked that so many people put art in front of a great narrative and great characters. it doesn't matter what it looks like - if its shiite its shiite.

oh yah, Escaflowne? noses are too long. doesn't matter when it was made. hehehe!

Aug 27, 2012 9:55 AM

i don't like the designs as much, and the animation is often poor, but Akira's animation was incredible

Aug 27, 2012 9:55 AM

21 said:

Not as shitty as your taste, in my opinion ofcourse.
- http://rederoin.motionsforum.com -
Anime air dates, BD release dates and Amazon stalker estimates for Anime BDs.
My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link

Aug 27, 2012 10:09 AM

Why do people always feel the need to comment on others tastes...

I dont mind them as long as they are good shows, i actually really like the old hunter x hunter, to be honest art style has never really bothered me. Of course what i call old is completely different to what some people call old :)
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?

Aug 27, 2012 10:19 AM

21 said:

Yeah our taste is shit because you dont agree with it

Yeah sure

Yep

Yeah

OK

No.

Aug 27, 2012 10:31 AM

ehheheheheheh only old people living in their parents basement watch anime
yeppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 27, 2012 10:46 AM

oODannyOo said:
Does anyone else beside me hate old anime graphics? I can't stand when to graphics are so weird like that

City Hunter's realistically proportioned adult sexiness needs a word. Whether from the 80's or now, this guy's drawings still beat almost everyone else's: http://myanimelist.net/people/2623/Tsukasa_Hojo

Hand-drawn art has a 'soul' lacking from lazily-rushed digital offerings. Obviously out of place CG robots and digital backgrounds just don't cut it, most of the time.

The only show I've ever stopped watching due to "graphics" is Macross. The faces killed me--horrid. (I watched the improved/newer movie version, instead.) I'm sure I'd have issue with super-deformed, cartoony Astro Boy type anime from ages past and B&W ones, too, but there's nothing wrong with anime from as little as 20-30ish years ago.

Aug 27, 2012 1:26 PM

I don't like many shows that are pre 90s. The art just bothers me.

Aug 27, 2012 2:03 PM
i find old school anime more multi-dimensional than the anime of today both story wise and artistically

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »