Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that you HAVE to watch in high quality

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 26, 2012 4:25 AM

Aug 2012
Bakemonogatari & Nisemonogatari. Part of the enjoyment comes from the great visuals.
Same goes for Fate/Zero and Fate/Zero 2nd Season.

Aug 26, 2012 6:45 AM

Apr 2011
Redline.
Aug 26, 2012 6:45 AM

May 2009
I want all of my anime in Thora quality if possible.
Aug 26, 2012 7:12 AM

Jun 2012
I usually find any 1080p anime first to download if available but would resort to lesser if I couldn't find any.
If I get 480p and it is to my liking, I would re-encode it to DVD to play on my player because the quality is much better.
Aug 26, 2012 8:05 AM

Feb 2012
Mononoke.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Aug 26, 2012 8:07 AM

Jun 2012
Kuhle said:
I always stream. It works fine for me. I'm not going to waste my time downloading anime unless I have to.

i am actually trying to download, but it seem's like the same shit. -______-
Aug 26, 2012 11:11 AM
Mar 2012
I completely can't stand watching Sword Art Online without HQ!
Aug 26, 2012 11:44 AM

May 2010
itsvero said:
Anime that you HAVE to watch in high quality...

All of them.
Aug 26, 2012 3:58 PM

Jun 2007
itsvero said:
Anime that you HAVE to watch in high quality....

None of them.

Visuals are only one part of the experience, and all the high quality or enhanced resolutions in the world can't make the music, voice acting, story quality, script quality (though that's more dependent on good dubs/subs improving on typical cookie-cutter Japanese scriptwriting), general art quality (characters being on-model, appealing designs, etc.), and actual animation quantity/quality. High-res slideshows are pretty pointless.

Most TV anime aren't even animated in anything near 1080p, anyway. More like 540p, or maybe closer to 720p for higher budget shows. So going down to 480p or even 400p isn't that much of a loss. The only things that really suffer are pointless, irrelevant background details like blades of grass, wood grains, rock/wall textures, and roof tiles. Granted, I realize those things are what most people watch anime for these days. Well, those and deliberately-added digital grain.

h4x_the_zombie said:
Eden of the East... It would be a sin to watch it in anything less the 720p -1080p.
I watched Frostii's 480p TV version... am I going to hell for that? Or for "crimes" like these?

Otaking87 said:
a RIP is never going to be as Good quality as people say
is all process unless you rip a Master copy then you get best quality
so rips are never top quality
hell DVD Master qualilty is Picture AAC 770 mBS Sound DIVX 9-15 Mb Ps
And you will never get that quality from a RIP [ unless you want about 3 GB or more for 1 Episode
I agree, but then again I disagree. Yes, there will always be some quality loss with lossy encodes from a TV or disc source. But with high enough settings, you can get encodes that are effectively transparent, where you won't notice quality loss under normal viewing conditions.

Plus, good encoders can apply judicious filtering to fix problems in the source and create rips that are in some ways better than the actual discs. And some groups are routinely doing 2-3 GB per 1080p ep, or even just doing unencoded Blu-Ray remuxes at ~7 GB per ep.

njd09 said:
I watch everything in 720p because my laptop screen only has a resolution of 1366x768, so I see no point in downloading 1080p.
See, I think that's about the smartest resolution to have if anime's the main media you're consuming, since 1280x720 is the effective upper limit on quality for non-theatrical anime. And it's not like movies like bad at 720p, either. Older 4:3 anime will still only get upscaled to 1024x768, so the main things that'll truly suffer are semi-old 16:9 shows at 640x360 or lower.

I agree that obvious flaws like macroblocking/artifacting in many DVDs and older DivX/XviD/WMV rips do detract from the experience, but encodes with modern codecs that downscale HDTV/Blu-Ray sources to 480p can look incredibly good while only losing irrelevant details (see above) in the resizing.

Hyunkel said:
Bakemonogatari & Nisemonogatari. Part of the enjoyment comes from the great visuals.
Yes, the endless talking heads, walls of text, and slideshow animation definitely demand high resolution to be enjoyable at all. Same goes for pretty much any SHAFT anime without "Magica" in the title.

several people said:
I can't/won't watch anything below 720p, it makes my eyes bleed, it's eyecancer, etc.
So do people really just entirely skip older or semi-recent classics like Monster, Death Note, Elfen Lied, Higurashi, Azumanga Daioh, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Evangelion TV, Wolf's Rain, FMA '03, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Fruits Basket, School Days, and many more just because of the resolution they're available in? (Fortunately, many of these are still fairly well-ranked, so I guess it's not everyone who's skipping them.)

Still, I think it's better to have a not-super-high-res display and miss out on a few things here and there, rather than being 90% restricted to anime made after 2008 or so. Well, I guess some older anime do occasionally get Blu-Ray releases. But aside from much older shows from before the late 90s, most of those Blu-Rays are crappy upscales that look no better than or even worse than the DVDs.
Aug 26, 2012 4:03 PM

Sep 2011
I try for with everything but only thing im really going out of my way to get highest quality(as well as mp4) is the serious arcs in gintama cause thats the only part of the show where they put a majority of their relevantly small budget into.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 26, 2012 4:09 PM

Aug 2012
Watching Nisemonogatari on 1080p... Oh god.

It was pure eyegasm for me.
Aug 26, 2012 5:06 PM

Mar 2009
None really.
Aug 26, 2012 8:03 PM

Sep 2011
OhNasti said:
Kuhle said:
I always stream. It works fine for me. I'm not going to waste my time downloading anime unless I have to.

i am actually trying to download, but it seem's like the same shit. -______-

Well, there is a difference, but I really don't see why it would matter for most anime.

That being said, I'm 20 minutes into Redline right now and holy shit I kind of take back what I said. I'll still stream it, but once I'm done with that I'm buying it so I can watch it in even better quality.
Aug 26, 2012 9:47 PM
Aug 2012
Well... I can simply say I download all my anime in 1080p. From a private bittracker. 20 minutes or so and I have a 35 GB series right there.
So I can easily say I always watch 1080p anime because it's the faster download. I tried downloading the 480p and it said it'd take 8 hours for the seeders to download..

To anyone who says "I stream because I can't be asked to download" or they say they stream low quality because they have a tight bandwith.. there's one thing wrong with that. You obviously don't know that streaming uses up the same amount of bandwith as downloading the files is. The difference is, is when you download it it's able to be rewatched without wasting bandwith later.
I actually download my anime and if my friend has a series we "trade" (Borrow each others anime HD's) and such. That way there's no waste of bandwith. Just imo.. streaming is.. awful.
Aug 26, 2012 9:48 PM

May 2010
Zalis said:
itsvero said:
Anime that you HAVE to watch in high quality....

None of them.

Visuals are only one part of the experience, and all the high quality or enhanced resolutions in the world can't make the music, voice acting, story quality, script quality (though that's more dependent on good dubs/subs improving on typical cookie-cutter Japanese scriptwriting), general art quality (characters being on-model, appealing designs, etc.), and actual animation quantity/quality. High-res slideshows are pretty pointless.

Most TV anime aren't even animated in anything near 1080p, anyway. More like 540p, or maybe closer to 720p for higher budget shows. So going down to 480p or even 400p isn't that much of a loss. The only things that really suffer are pointless, irrelevant background details like blades of grass, wood grains, rock/wall textures, and roof tiles. Granted, I realize those things are what most people watch anime for these days. Well, those and deliberately-added digital grain.

h4x_the_zombie said:
Eden of the East... It would be a sin to watch it in anything less the 720p -1080p.
I watched Frostii's 480p TV version... am I going to hell for that? Or for "crimes" like these?

Otaking87 said:
a RIP is never going to be as Good quality as people say
is all process unless you rip a Master copy then you get best quality
so rips are never top quality
hell DVD Master qualilty is Picture AAC 770 mBS Sound DIVX 9-15 Mb Ps
And you will never get that quality from a RIP [ unless you want about 3 GB or more for 1 Episode
I agree, but then again I disagree. Yes, there will always be some quality loss with lossy encodes from a TV or disc source. But with high enough settings, you can get encodes that are effectively transparent, where you won't notice quality loss under normal viewing conditions.

Plus, good encoders can apply judicious filtering to fix problems in the source and create rips that are in some ways better than the actual discs. And some groups are routinely doing 2-3 GB per 1080p ep, or even just doing unencoded Blu-Ray remuxes at ~7 GB per ep.

njd09 said:
I watch everything in 720p because my laptop screen only has a resolution of 1366x768, so I see no point in downloading 1080p.
See, I think that's about the smartest resolution to have if anime's the main media you're consuming, since 1280x720 is the effective upper limit on quality for non-theatrical anime. And it's not like movies like bad at 720p, either. Older 4:3 anime will still only get upscaled to 1024x768, so the main things that'll truly suffer are semi-old 16:9 shows at 640x360 or lower.

I agree that obvious flaws like macroblocking/artifacting in many DVDs and older DivX/XviD/WMV rips do detract from the experience, but encodes with modern codecs that downscale HDTV/Blu-Ray sources to 480p can look incredibly good while only losing irrelevant details (see above) in the resizing.

Hyunkel said:
Yes, the endless talking heads, walls of text, and slideshow animation definitely demand high resolution to be enjoyable at all. Same goes for pretty much any SHAFT anime without "Magica" in the title.

several people said:
I can't/won't watch anything below 720p, it makes my eyes bleed, it's eyecancer, etc.
So do people really just entirely skip older or semi-recent classics like Monster, Death Note, Elfen Lied, Higurashi, Azumanga Daioh, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Evangelion TV, Wolf's Rain, FMA '03, Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Fruits Basket, School Days, and many more just because of the resolution they're available in? (Fortunately, many of these are still fairly well-ranked, so I guess it's not everyone who's skipping them.)

Still, I think it's better to have a not-super-high-res display and miss out on a few things here and there, rather than being 90% restricted to anime made after 2008 or so. Well, I guess some older anime do occasionally get Blu-Ray releases. But aside from much older shows from before the late 90s, most of those Blu-Rays are crappy upscales that look no better than or even worse than the DVDs.

Ahh...ignorance is bliss.
LigaeaAug 26, 2012 9:56 PM
Aug 26, 2012 10:59 PM

Aug 2012
Code geass was one that I had to watch in high quality.
Aug 26, 2012 11:03 PM
Mar 2011
I watch everything i can find in 720p.
Aug 26, 2012 11:03 PM

Jun 2007
Ligaea said:
Ahh...ignorance is bliss.
And trimming quotes is divine, what's your point? Why not actually contest the statements I made, instead of spouting platitudes? Or are you contending, for instance, that crappy Q-TEC Blu-Ray upscales look just as good as Blu-Rays for native HD anime?
Aug 26, 2012 11:31 PM
Apr 2012
5cm per Second is the only anime I watched in high quality.
I downloaded mini-MKV (~60MB, ~320p) for any other titles.
Aug 27, 2012 6:56 AM

Mar 2012
Accel World, Sword Art Online...
Aug 27, 2012 11:13 PM

Aug 2012
i dont download. i like to stream coz saves time. there are good quality streams too, and also fast. no need to buffer or load.
Aug 27, 2012 11:42 PM

Jun 2012
i got this
fate stay night and fate zero
streaming half of fate stay night it looked decent- downloaded the animation hardly looked like an anime from 06 (yo pienso?)
fate zero is also much better in hd
anything that focuses on its setting or has fight scemnes is much better in hd eg
spice and wolf for instance or samurai champloo
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Aug 27, 2012 11:50 PM

Jun 2012
All of them, if possible.
But watching art-like (at least visually speaking) anime like Bakemonogatari, Nisemonogatari, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica or Mononoke in anything below 720p is blasphemy.
Regicide said:
anything that focuses on its setting or has fight scemnes is much better in hd eg

That, too.

Aug 28, 2012 12:43 AM

Apr 2012
REDLINE

Watch out for upscaled bullshit
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Aug 28, 2012 4:25 AM

Mar 2011
Well, I think Death Note really deserve 1080HD (good visual/audio quality is needed to fully enjoy it)
I guess Hyouka also needs some care too
Aug 28, 2012 4:31 AM

Nov 2010
drinkbeer said:
i usually choose to watch all my anime in 720p

except for a few that i can't find in 720p, then i will have to settle for less

Same here... I hate streaming in low quality so I try downloading all Anime I want to watch in the future.
Only my ongoing Anime I stream witch is most of the time in 480p because I don't want to wait days for it to come out im hight quality!

ようやく世界は変わるナナリーが望んだ優しい世界が
Aug 28, 2012 5:22 AM
Aug 2012
Ghost in the Shell SAC in 720p.
Aug 28, 2012 5:59 AM

Nov 2007
TV quality anime = 720p
BD quality anime = 720p or 1080p depending on how I feel like on the day
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Aug 28, 2012 6:20 AM
May 2012
Kyoani and P.A. Works Shows have great visuals and animation. It's useless if you'll watch it below 720p
Aug 28, 2012 6:28 AM

Jul 2011
On TV - 1080p HD blu-ray

-SAO
-One Piece
-Angel Beats!
-Evangelion
-Fate/Zero
-Highschool of the Dead
-FMA:Brotherhood
-Higashi no Eden
-Deadman Wonderland
-Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
-Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
-Guilty Crown

and FUCK THIS SHIT!
Aug 28, 2012 7:40 AM

Apr 2009
Wait, are there still people who watch something in resolutions lower than 720p when HD is actually available? That's just crazy!!
Aug 28, 2012 7:40 AM

Jun 2012
I want to watch Maison Ikkoku in HD. :(
Aug 28, 2012 7:59 AM

Jul 2011
Klimat said:
Wait, are there still people who watch something in resolutions lower than 720p when HD is actually available? That's just crazy!!

Many people don't like download episodes, they like watch them online :P
(I don't hate streaming, but I do prefer HD and download episodes.)

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Aug 28, 2012 8:07 AM
Jan 2012
steins;gate? :D probably sword art online and any other anime with intense fight scenes like kara no kyoukai
Aug 28, 2012 10:24 AM

Jun 2007
WooChan said:
Kyoani and P.A. Works Shows have great visuals and animation. It's useless if you'll watch it below 720p
Speaking strictly of KyoAni works... So I suppose all the people who saw shows like FMP Fumoffu/TSR, Air, Kanon '06, Clannad, Lucky Star, and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya when they first aired on TV were just wasting their time watching worthless crap, then? Because none of those had 720p-worthy broadcasts. Yet somehow people managed to rave about the animation in the first season of Haruhi, even though the popular a.f.k. TV-fansubs were 360p!

Klimat said:
Yes, see the spoilered list in one of my previous posts. There's not much reason for me to watch 1280x720 when it just gets downscaled to 1024x576 to fit my screen. 960x720 is okay, though. And then there are the cases of crappy Blu-Ray upscales like Shana and Saki that actually look worse than the DVDs -- it makes more sense to watch low-res there.
Aug 28, 2012 10:56 AM

Apr 2009
Zalis said:
Klimat said:
Yes, see the spoilered list in one of my previous posts. There's not much reason for me to watch 1280x720 when it just gets downscaled to 1024x576 to fit my screen.

Well, this explains everything, HD is just physically not available to you with this kind of screen, so it's not even a choice. Makes perfect sense then.
My monitor is 1280x1024 so for me 1080p is not an option for the same reason... and also for the fact 720p rips usually have much more reasonable weight than 1080 =).
Zalis said:
And then there are the cases of crappy Blu-Ray upscales like Shana and Saki that actually look worse than the DVDs...

Sorry, but that's just impossible. Upscales can be bad, but nothing can be worse from DVD video nowadays, unless it's a really crappy rip or a poor analog television signal.
KlimatAug 28, 2012 11:10 AM
Aug 28, 2012 1:09 PM

Dec 2011
There is no real need to stream anything if you use torrents. I always go for 720p or the highest quality available for any given series. Usually don't go as high as 1080p because my media players don't seem to be able to handle them and I'm a little to lazy to figure out how to fix it. Some day I'll get the HDMI hookup for my TV but I can hardly afford to keep the internet going at this point heh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

28 by Zimmu »»
3 seconds ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

89 by LostSpectre »»
40 seconds ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 hours ago

34 by DarkShame2 »»
2 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

14 by Zayvex »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

90 by camay1997 »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.