Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that you never saw because of the name, then surprised by its greatness.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Aug 23, 2012 2:05 PM

Topic says it all.

Mine is Tiger & Bunny, i never read about it, just randomly saw its name here and there, and i was sure it was a kids anime.
Man was i taken by surprise, its brilliant.

what Anime series had you off for a while due to the name?

Aug 23, 2012 2:08 PM

Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I watched it before I got involved with MAL or knew about how popular it is on this site. I just thought the name was silly at the time; that's why I chose to watch it.

Aug 23, 2012 2:17 PM

I guess Nana was like that for me. I heard about that anime by its name in some magazines and on the net or somewhere and thought it was a stupid immature teen show even though I didn't know anything about it lol. But I liked it.

Aug 23, 2012 2:19 PM

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. It sounded way too girly. I thought it was either a very generic magical girl show or a parody of it, but it turned out to be one of my favorites

Aug 23, 2012 2:22 PM

Time of Eve, The Skull Man, Bungaku Shoujo, and Diamond Daydreams are the best unknowns I've seen. Honorable mentions for Mashiro-Iro Symphony, Umi Monogatari, Colorful (2010), and Jinki: Extend.

Aug 23, 2012 2:25 PM

Tiger and Bunny. There was barely any info about it before it aired and the name sounded gay as fuck, well the show was actually PRETTY gay, literally, but that's besides the point - anyway it was a show that helped renew my faith in anime for about 5 minutes.
Your favorite anime is shit.

Aug 23, 2012 2:25 PM
You never would've guessed considering my username.I was quite skeptical about Code Geass. Then i watched it. :o

Aug 23, 2012 2:27 PM

Codege-ass1 said:
You never would've guessed considering my username.I was quite skeptical about Code Geass. Then i watched it. :o

I was really reluctant to watch Code Geass too. Sounds like a shitty shounen anime at first.

How wrong was I.

Aug 23, 2012 2:27 PM

Air Gear

I thought it was not my sort of TV show and that it was childish.
But I was quite surprised :D

Aug 23, 2012 2:29 PM
Necro-sama said:
Codege-ass1 said:

I was really reluctant to watch Code Geass too. Sounds like a shitty shounen anime at first.

How wrong was I.

hahaha! dude i know right!

Aug 23, 2012 2:38 PM

Code Geass (like everyone is saying)

also Bakuman. At first I thought it sounded like a bullsh** pokemon or digimon ripoff. But it was really good and definitely made my top 10.

Aug 23, 2012 2:43 PM

Aug 23, 2012 2:46 PM

Beck

i thought it was some cheesy rock show, so glad I picked it up

Aug 23, 2012 3:00 PM

- Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Didn't seem interesting but it's amazing, finally I found a realistic romance/drama.

- Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Strange name but this show really surprised me, especially after the second episode.

- Hotarubi no Mori e
Another strange name but it's beautiful, sweet and godlike.

- Ghost Hunt
Name too simple, I thought it was bullshit but not, it's just great, another surprise for me.
Modified by ainky, Aug 23, 2012 3:04 PM

Aug 23, 2012 3:06 PM

Legend of the Legendary Heroes.
Come on now. An anime with a name like that? I thought it was going to be stupid...Until I watched it. :D

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Bakuman, Death Note, Code Geass, and Gosick. They were all so much more than I was expecting. XD

Aug 23, 2012 3:19 PM

All the names look weird to me, so i dont base anything on that.

Aug 23, 2012 3:26 PM

Sumomomo Momomo: Chijou Saikyou no Yome

Behold of my awesomeness~

Aug 23, 2012 3:33 PM

I've never had any expectations based on the name.
I've always at least read the synopsis first.

Aug 23, 2012 3:39 PM

Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloo, Gurren Lagann and Hajime no Ippo surprised me

Aug 23, 2012 3:40 PM

yeah I guess Tiger and Bunny for me as well

Aug 23, 2012 3:52 PM

Tiger & Bunny for me too. I mean come on, the name is just pathetic by itself.

Aug 23, 2012 4:12 PM

Code Geass, sounded like Code Gay-ass to me. Idk. Gintama, Originally sounded boring to me but is now my all time fav. Um, One Piece too actually. Thought it was One Peace and the show was all about peace XD Uh, Sket Dance too, Thought the show was about dancing. Bleach. Thought the show was about bleach and cleaning. Asura Cryin', Thought the show was about some girl crying. Still didn't like it too much but it was totally different than what i thought it would be. Beelzebub, just thought the title sounded too retarded. Phi Brain, thought it was about studying robot brains (don't ask me how i came up with that...) Reborn, thought it was about reincarnation based off of buddhism. I jump too conclusions to often and i should stop it because some of these animes are really good...

Aug 23, 2012 4:17 PM

Futari Ecchi.

Aug 23, 2012 4:18 PM

I guess Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. From the name alone I though it'd be an anime like Sailor Moon since I've never seen a Mahou Shoujo anime before ( Except a few hentais )

After watching it, I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually pretty good. It's one of those "don't judge a book by its cover" types where you really have to see it to make accurate judgements.

Aug 23, 2012 4:22 PM

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and Kaleido Star
And even though I haven't seen it yet, I've been hearing many positive comments about Princess Tutu

Aug 23, 2012 4:26 PM

FLCL. First of all, I read it and then when someone pronounced it for me I was surprised. So I stayed away from it for awhile. When I finally watched it, I wanted more!

Aug 23, 2012 4:29 PM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

(Back in 1999)

"Cowboy Bebop? You mean like a wild west show? Nah, I'll pass."

(Years later)

"Oh dammit."

Aug 23, 2012 7:26 PM

B Gata H Kei
-What am I supposed to think of a show called "B-Cup Slut"?

Mawaru Penguindrum
-thought it was about penguins (wasn't that that far off, oddly enough)

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
-thought it was like Sailor Moon or something

Durarara!!
-I still don't really understand what that means

School Days
-thought that's what it was about...

Aug 23, 2012 8:14 PM

FMA-Xorcist said:
Come on now. An anime with a name like that? I thought it was going to be stupid...Until I watched it. :D

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, Bakuman, Death Note, Code Geass, and Gosick. They were all so much more than I was expecting. XD

i actually not seen legend of the, the name put me off.
i will check it out!

Aug 23, 2012 8:51 PM

Yeah, Madoka. I remember when I first went on this site last year everyone was still hyping it into oblivion (remember when people called it PMMM or MSMM? Never happens anymore for some reason.) and then I looked at the name and the picture and practically had to force myself to watch it. Good decision, I'd say.

And Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu. It's just an extremely stupid sounding name... Also, Kuragehime, aka "Princess Jellyfish."

Aug 23, 2012 8:54 PM

School Rumble. I thought it was just your average generic shonen anime. Oh, how wrong was I.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 23, 2012 9:03 PM

Same with Tiger & Bunny. The name sounded like some kid show. When I heard the name, I seriously thought of something like this:

Finally I decided to look it up after a friend kept talking about it. Now it's one of my favorite anime.

Aug 23, 2012 9:58 PM

Yeah like a lot of people, code geass and tiger & bunny. REALLY surprised me how different they were from my expectations.

Aug 23, 2012 10:06 PM

I saw the name laughed at the name thinking "Creativity at its best!" Decided to watch it thinking it would be bad...

It fucking blew my mind.
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Aug 23, 2012 11:15 PM
Ghost in the API

FLCL, Book of Bantorra, Noein, Mouryou no Hako, mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha and Madoka.
Modified by BatoKusanagi, Aug 23, 2012 11:18 PM

Aug 24, 2012 12:19 AM

Code Geass!I used to avoid it like a mad man!
Try to watch one time out of boredom and Boom!Finished the whole thing in 2-3 days!
This world...is rotten

Aug 24, 2012 1:33 AM

Detroit Metal City - I thought it would be some kind of crap with kids in high school trying to play metal. But I was wrong, very wrong, it's the funniest anime that i've ever seen

Aug 24, 2012 1:35 AM

Harii said:
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. It sounded way too girly. I thought it was either a very generic magical girl show or a parody of it, but it turned out to be one of my favorites

You stole the words straight out of my mouth.
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.

Aug 24, 2012 2:05 AM

I would never consider not watching a show because of the name...

Aug 24, 2012 2:37 AM

ano natsu de matteru? because damn i can't understand it and it's long haha xD turned out to be one of my favorites :)

Aug 24, 2012 2:46 AM

verduzgene said:
ano natsu de matteru? because damn i can't understand it and it's long haha xD turned out to be one of my favorites :)

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai
How is that long compared to that?

Welcome to the NHK!
^ i tought it was about people killing each other and terrorist shit.

Aug 24, 2012 2:51 AM

Code Geass.
first episode i watched before i didn't like it i thought it was another overhyped bullsh!t anime. (not only for its name because everything especially its art)
... well now it's one of my favorite.

and also ano hana. i didn't thought that i may like it this much

Aug 24, 2012 3:31 AM

I would probably say Princess Tutu because it's the quintessential answer in this thread, but the fact is that I was interested at the time.

So can't think of any other.

Aug 24, 2012 5:24 AM

School Rumble, and Angel Beats!

Aug 24, 2012 5:29 AM

Ignoring a show because of its name sounds like a pretty stupid thing to do. I can understand something like Madoka where the other material supports the impression, but judging by the name alone?

Though the opposite has happened to me. "Legend of the legendary heroes" sounded hilariously bad so I picked it up, but the show was just meh.

Aug 24, 2012 6:01 AM
It's not so much refusing to watch said anime as its prioritizing other anime over it because you have a better impression of those anime. That said, I do try to read reviews and synopses for things I'm curious about, and thus considering adding to my ptw. But you probably don't want to be spending too much time planning and not just watching. It's not really ignorant to judge something by it's name. The creator chooses it, afterall, and by reading some reviews and recommendations the good ones should be recommended enough that you'll take notice. People that refuse to drop things should probably spend extra time researching anime, though.

The Princess Bride, not an anime but yeah.

Aug 24, 2012 6:14 AM

Maison Ikkoku. I almost dropped this since I thought this anime is for kids. The characters looked like the people in Ranma 1/2. It's very old (first aired in March 1986, and finished airing in March 1988), but man. My expectations were blown away. It's now my personal favorite anime. I recommend this anime to all!

Aug 24, 2012 6:14 AM

Sket Dance. For about a few months I thought it was a dance team anime.

Aug 24, 2012 6:25 AM

For me personally, Rose of Versailles.

Going off that title, you would think that it would be some sort of sappy romance anime set in France, right? Skip forward to the point where the director died and I decided to watch the show as I hadn't seen anything by him, even though he is considered one of the most influential anime directors of his time, and I found my answer. The truth is, only the set in France part is right. It's not overly sappy and can actually be quite gritty at times, especially in the latter half of the series.

As for Princess Tutu, the combination of overly exaggerated girly title and general praise made me more curious (no, not in that way) than anything, so I watched it quite quickly after first hearing about it. It was worth it. The "Tutu effect" naturally rubbed off onto what order I decide to watch future series, including a certain western cartoon with colourful magical equine characters in it, that's on top of Fancy Lala (the director helped here too) and Heartcatch Precure.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[

Aug 24, 2012 6:26 AM

None.

Now if you started a thread about how the main picture made me watch the anime. I think it'll be more lively.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »